Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)
Alpar

Missouri

07-24-2014 20:05:28 | More by KCBeerNerd
beachbum1975

3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Many thanks to urbancaver for sharing this beer! This is one of the 4 x Zhukov's poured last night.

Pours black with clear, amber edges. No real head on my pour and no lacing. Thick and viscous pour.

Heavily roasted malts with black licorice. Heavy char.

Very little carbonation on the mouthfeel, as well. Lots of heavy char and licorice.

Big and tasty.

09-03-2013 00:58:08 | More by Roger85
Bfarr

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -11%

Thick syrupy black pour and tight sienna head with great retention and lacing. Dark chocolate and charcoal roasted aroma with an herbal note. Big chocolate taste up front gives way to coffee notes and finishing sweet and herbal. Coffee linger. Very thick viscosity with light bite and a lightly lingering dryness.

The look and feel of this beer is incredible. It actually coats the glass and turns it a different color that stays until it’s rinsed off. A fairly unique flavor is good in a small dose means it’s definitely a great beer for an 8 – 10oz pour. Any more than that and the herbal quality really takes over. This is typical of the malty CCB beers that I’ve tasted. I’d say it’s great to share or have a small taste of it but any more than that and it begins to be disappointing. Really a pretty enjoyable beer.

11-28-2011 01:28:17 | More by Bfarr
beergod1

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black with a mid-sized, creamy, tan head. Great retention. The aroma is a swirl of chocolate, and espresso with hints of vanilla and molasses. Full-bodied and very creamy with some carbonation. Sweet chocolate and bitter coffee flavor. Well-balanced. Lengthy, burnt, bitter finish. World class imperial stout!

12-08-2011 00:34:04 | More by beergod1

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

11-18-2013 16:55:20 | More by MrDave
Zraly

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Sent to me by my soon-to be boss (how lucky am I?) -- Opaque black with a very faint espresso crema head. Smells of rich chocolate, earth and tobacco. Fabulous legs. Swirl this one and see this stout cling to your glass for dear life. Cigar City is chasing down the wine snob in me with this one!

Sticky sweet and perhaps the most intense, hardcore chocolate note I've come across yet in an imperial stout. The creamy smooth finish is divine. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, molasses, and cocoa. Extremely tasty.

Incredible. A monster. And would make a lovely dessert beer paired with your best dark chocolate and dried cherries.

04-16-2011 22:23:03 | More by Zraly
claaark13

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

2011 bottle poured into a DHF chalice. Thanks urwithdave, I've wanted to try this guy for a while now and just hadn't gotten around to trading for it.

A - Perfect. Pours like I'm topping my car off with a liter of oil. So dark, so thick. A dark, chocolate colored head slowly rises from the 12oz line to the top of the chalice. As time passes and sips occur, the head retains at 1/4" or a little less. Beautiful. This is exactly how I want all of my RIS to pour.

S - Before any sips, I was getting roasted malts with a very mild amount of hops in the background. As it warmed, I picked up on some sweetness. As I drank and as it continued to warm, the sweetness turned to dark fruits / roasted malts. Pretty good aroma all around. My wife described it as shoving your face into a bag of chocolate covered raisins. I can agree with this assessment. Nothing great stands out at me though and makes me think, "I need to try this right now."

T - Sweetness upfront and then the whole way through, finishing with roasted malts and a slight hint of what I'd call slightly burnt coffee. Sweet, creamy middle flavor. Finish is dry. Upon further investigation (2nd sip), I think I'm getting some hops here. As I get further into the glass, I get sweet dark fruits -> mild hops -> sweet roasted malts. The sweetness is evident, but not overpowering. The more I drink this, the more I really enjoy it. I am going to finish this bottle without issue. Not a lot of complexities, but a very nice drink.

M - Oh yes, this is how I like my RIS. I'll put this one up there with the appearance...perfect. Thick, creamy, full. RIS should have to be at least this thick to compete. Drinkability isn't really dinged here for me, but that is just my opinion.

O - I really like this beer. It is unique in that I think it hits the middle ground of two categories of RIS: thick/sweet and thick/hoppy. It stands out among most peers. Balance isn't perfect, but it is good. Of course, I'm comparing it to other "fresh" bottles of RIS to be fair. $12? Really? I'd buy as case, annually, if I lived in Tampa. I think the fact that this is available on the shelves holds it back on many people's scales, but I think it would fare very well in a blind taste test.

09-16-2011 00:52:02 | More by claaark13