Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +0.2%

8/30/2012 vintage. 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks Matt!

A - Pours a thick black body. I guess I have to go cliche and call it "motor oil" here. Although personally after performing numerous oil changes I've never seen used oil look this appealing. The head that forms initially is massive. Something I've never seen before in a beer is layers in the head. Three fingers of dark mocha foam with an apparent one finger layer of light mocha head capping it off. After settling down I'm left with some edging and an abundance of sticky lacing. Swirling creates a trace of alcoholic legs and thick clinging suds. Literally stains the side of the glass with a dark yellow/brown color for a bit. Perfect.

S - Lots of roasted malts that almost come off as ashy and chalky. Herbal anise leads into dark chocolate, coffee, sweet barbecue sauce (yes, BBQ sauce), vanilla and spices. Smooth and robust with some warming booze.

T - Roasted malts, bitter coffee beans, smooth dark chocolate, and sweet vanilla. Just an unreal balance of sweet, roast, and savory. Aftertaste if of burnt coffee, which is surprisingly enjoyable. Some warming alcohol on the end.

M - Thick, syrupy, and coating. A light prickly carbonation prevents it from being too much. Alcohol is hardly noticeable.

O - This beer has such presence. Its a huge roasty monstrosity of a stout, yet its never cloying or too alcoholic. It also has one of the best appearances and mouth feels I've experienced in a stout. Puts most barrel aged stouts to shame, this is the real deal!

4.13/5  rDev -5.5%

Part of the most epic stout tasting ever. This one from beer and bourbon

A-dark black with no head what so ever. Not even a little
S-some roast malts but not much else, and this is even very slight
T-very subtle tastes but mellow and delicious. Roast and a slight coffee aftertaste.
M- thick on the palate. Very smooth
D-crazy drinkable. Wow.

1.23/5  rDev -71.9%

I was really looking forward to trying the 2013 Zhukov. I opened the bottle and noticed a strange aroma, but when I poured it it looked delicious. I took another whiff and wow this smelled horrible. The taste was just as bad. I'm so disappointed but I hope I get to try this again.

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a Darkness Snifter

This beer poured pretty darn flat, which I must say is not impressive off of the bat from a beer that I've been so excited to try. The aromatics I got were coffee, smoke and bourbon. The flavors were vastly improved on the aromatic, to which I blame the lack of head. It was a sweet tasting beer with chocolate, grape, smoke and caramel all combined into a very tasty melange. The mouthfeel probably was helped by the lack of head, because this beer went down very smooth and very creamy. The drinkability of this beer was good, I would hope that not all the bottles were with as little carbonation as was this one.

4.46/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours black with an amazing dark mocha head with large bubbles nestled in the middle. The head carries such a nice color! The lacing is very nice creating an artistic presentation on the inside of the glass. Possibly the best looking bottled RIS that I've seen.

Smells of milk chocolate, cocoa, and cedar start the nose with a tingling heat on the nostrils. Some vanilla and cayenne spice come trough as well.

Notes of dark chocolate, molasses, earth, smoke, cedar, coffee, raisins, and a touch of biting spice appear in the taste. There is a touch of sweet almost sour toward the end of the taste which seems a little out of place. It reminds me of a combination of raisins and apples.

Cigar City really hit the nail on the head with regards to the appearance and mouthfeel of this. It is like velvet in the mouth, creamy and soft with a chewy, medium-full feel. A nice sticky dryness is left on the palette upon swallowing.

I truly enjoy the complexity of this brew and feel it is among the best russian imperial stouts that I've had. The alcohol is well hidden and I will enjoy finishing the rest of this 750ml. Thank you TCHopCraver for bringing this one back from Tampa!

4.16/5  rDev -4.8%

2011 750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. Deep dark black ink black color. Edges are just as black. Head is a huge three fingers of dark chocolate color and a silky pillow soft appearance. Reminds me of Brooklyn Black Ops. Lace is sticking in a raining pattern. Quite nice!!

Smell is dark roasted espresso beans, dark chocolate, dried cherries, maybe some charred wood and some alcohol.

Taste is mostly like the nose. There is the dark, bitter chocolate, some coffee but the dominate flavor is the tart fruits. Cherries, figs. I am not getting any alcohol taste or burn with this at all, at least while it's still on the cold side.

Mouth is smooth and luscious, carbonation is on the medium side. Body is rich and towards chewy. Finish is everlasting and wet with the slightest hint of alcohol burn.

Overall I have been waiting over a year to crack this bottle and it didn't disappoint. There is a reason this is on the top 100 list. Thanks to Centenial for sending this my way. I would love to try a fresh bottle. Trade for, or pick this one up if you can.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

I've had this on cask, and tap twice, but most recently on tap so that's what we're going with. Had it at the CCB event at Blind Tiger on 11/17. Some crap post nasal drip had me tackled, so I was only able to enjoy this and the Peach IPA. Argh, Novemberrr!

It pours a thick black with a dark tan/brown, almost khaki and red head. The finger thing stuff dissipates and leaves not much lacing, but keeps some decent legs. It's pitch black. No wonder the Germans couldn't beat this guy. They couldn't see. The smell is just as fantastic, with coffee, espresso and chocolate predominating. Burnt notes are there, caramel, toffee. Taste is out of this world too. Everything that's in the nose is in the drink, plus a sweetness that covers the booze.

It feels great going down, with the only knock being that there's not much variation on the velvety smoothness. I will drink as many of these as I can get my hands on. While I'm still standing.

And if November colds don't get in the way.

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing