Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008)

Khazadum, Nov 22, 2011

coreymcafee, Nov 19, 2011

Scoot1969, Nov 19, 2011

Kaydogg, Nov 18, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was served in a goblet. It was a little too cold to start but as it warms up it becomes something special.

A- The body of the beer is black with no opaqueness. The head of the beer is thick and looks like a scorched chocolate milk. Nice oily film marks the beers passage from my glass. It looks really viscous.

S- Toasted, chared and even burnt dark malt almost to the coffee level but more of the dark cocoa and milk chocolate levels. Wrapping around these smells are an ever present ceder aroma.

T- If you want to know what a cedar chest taste like this would be a good start. Earthy and spicey wood tones wrap around dark roasted cocoa and chocolate a bit of leatheryness at the back end. Its a bit boozey but works really well.

M- Full bodied with a low level of carbonation. Nice long lasting bitter roasted flavors.

O- Very nicely doen this is a perfect beer to drink on a cold Cincinnati morning.

nlmartin, Nov 18, 2011

Photekut, Nov 16, 2011

Stankonia, Nov 15, 2011

Lukafer, Nov 15, 2011

alalvarez75, Nov 14, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured on tap at cigar city brewery.
Poured a deep black with a one finger brown bubbly head that only lasted around 30 seconds.
Nice roasty/chocolate nose with hints of woodyness, defiantly some dark fruit.
Lots of cedar in the taste. These humidor beers really display more wood than most wood aged beers I've had, and the cedar is super interesting to boot. This one is pretty roasty with a bit of sweetness.
Mouthfeel is very smooth, sticky, slickly. Big body medium carbonation.
Overall a really nice stout the cedar may have been a tiny bit over powering but as a featured part of the brew it was presented nicely.
I will defiantly try this again and suggest it to others.

hdelavega, Nov 10, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A: Just like all the Zhukov variants, this one pours black as night with an evil looking, thick head. Tons of lace.

A: I get the same notes as the base beer, loads of chocolate, sweet molasses, roasted malt. And the distinct aroma of the cedar wood. I really enjoy what the cedar does to the nose of zhukovs, very woodsy and earthy.

T: I like the base beer better in this department. I think the cedar takes away from the outstanding qualities of zhukovs. Don't get me wrong, this is still stellar, just not quite as good as the original. It finishes very dry.

M: Again I think the wood detracts from the great qualities of the base brew. Still thick and creamy just not as viscous as the original. Great carbonation though.

O: Really, really good brew. I like zhukovs a bit more but I really like the different nuance of the cedar. Try it if you can. Skal

Gtreid, Oct 22, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

On-tap at the Brewery.
Poured into a CC snifter. Opague black with a nice creamy lighter brown heading. Good lacing throughout the tasting.

Nose is mostly of spanish cedar with a solid caramel and mocha malt backing.Slight hop presence as well in the nose.

Taste is not far off from the nose. A heavy first wave of cedar,a much bigger hop bite than anticipated takes over and settles to a hotter boozey finish.

A little thin and boozier than most Imperial Stouts but not bad in anyway. Decent carbonation.

Not bad at all. I love the touch of spanish cedar it really pulls through in this beer.

TheFightfan1, Oct 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

On-tap at the "Aging Beers on Unusual Wood" presentation by Cigar City at Bx Beer Depot.

Appearance - Jet black with no head. Little brown bubbles around the edge. So black it stains the glass.

Smell - Sweet malts and some coffee aromas. Overwhelming sweetness. I honestly don't get a lot of cedar, unless it's hidden within the sugar and booze.

Taste - Strong chocolate malts. Hop bitter at the front, which is strange for an RIS. Strong sweetness in the middle with a cedar astringency in the finish. The cedar seems to add to the sweetness, too.

Mouthfeel - Thick as hell. Not a lot of carbonation, even on tap. It coats the mouth and makes the flavors linger.

Overall - I don't get a lot of direct cedar. It adds to the flavors subtly and unfortunately enhances the sweetness of the beer.

Alieniloquium, Aug 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Deep dark black in color. Huge tan head comes up and over the top and really fills the glass right to the rim. Hardly anything falls off of it for several minutes. Huge amounts of sticky tan foam all up and down the sides of the glass. Tons of chocolate and fruit notes just jumping out at you from the very first touch of it to the air. Notes of whiskey, hints of cedar and rich chocolate are all infused together seamlessly to put a wonderful touch on it. Enormous feel here, with huge carbonation just lets the flavor coat the entire tongue and really just gives it a wonderful sense of fullness to it. Rich chocolate and licorice notes just play off each other soo well. This was just wonderfully done. Hints of grapes, touches of almost apples coming through now. Very rich. Nice boozy and oak notes now coming through and giving it a very nice balance and richness

mikesgroove, Aug 19, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Generously shared by Eric, the artist formerly known as TurdFurgison.

A - Black beer with a tightly bubbled brown head that looked really nice. Minor spots left on the outside.

S - Smells like a nicely sweet and roasted stout, if you were drinking it locked in a cedar chest. Wow, tons and tons of cedar along with the roasted malts, a little cocoa, molasses, tobacco. Shocking at first, but it kind of grew on me.

T - The taste grew on me even more. Once you got used to the cedar it was a very smooth, unique beer with lots of big stout taste, a little on the sweet side, but with some complimentary and sweetness cutting cedar presence. I really liked this a lot and had multiple pours.

M - Smooth, creamy, full bodied.

O - I doubt this will be for everyone, but I really enjoyed this beer and drank a surprising amount of it. Would love to have it again.

AgentZero, Jul 11, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Acquired a 2009 bottle from fogdog awhile back. Thanks Kevin! Split this with a group of beer advocates at a gathering at Creekside Brewing Co. last night.

Poured (multiple times) into a 4oz. tasting glass.

Appearance: Poured out like used motor oil, creating a short layer of deep, dark brown foam that soon settled in as a dense crown. Body is pitch black, totally opaque, and very thick. Fantastic head retention and spotty lacing. Doesn't get much thicker or darker than this!

Smell: Cedar explosion! Ho lee shit! Sweet, floral, and loaded with lemon zest and soft fruit notes (peach, kiwi, etc.). The cedar nearly wipes out all traces of imperial stout - only a hint of roasted malt peeks through. Somewhat buttery. I'm not too sure how I feel about this. While the massive cedar aroma is pleasant, I don't like how it totally knocks out the base beer. Interesting, to say the least.

Taste: Much less cedar-y than expected. Still, I get a lot of soft fruit, white pepper, and floral esters. Dark chocolate and chocolate syrup both play pretty large roles, and booze peeks through as it warms. Cedar-forward, but the RIS base comes through a lot more here than in the smell.

Mouthfeel: Full, malty, lightly carbonated, and spicy. Finishes moderately sweet and leaves a long-lasting chocolatey, cedar-y taste on the palate.

Overall: Very interesting, but I'd like this beer a lot better if the cedar played a subtler role. I love the use of cedar in Humidor Jai Alai, but it was just too much here. Still, this was enjoyable and memorable.

ThreeWiseMen, May 15, 2011

Big thanks to Greg (googzoid10) for the bottle! I haven't had the standard Zhukov's yet, but this is the second aged version (my first was the brandy) and I've really enjoyed them both.

This pours dark, I guess you could call it black, with a thin tan head. I braced for a strong cedar nose (having tried the Jai Alai and Gruit Humidor series last year) but the cedar was really a minor component here. What comes through most strongly are RIS aromas, roasted malts and a little cocoa, then after all that is processed I get a little cedar at the end.

On tasting, the cedar makes its presence known. Unlike the aroma it's more of a defining characteristic in the taste, but in a way that worked very well for me. I think a strong RIS is a better choice for cedar aging than, say, an IPA, as the stout can keep a lot of its original flavor. At least that's based on the few I've tried from Cigar City.

Lots of sweet roasty malts, a little caramel malt too, some cocoa and what have you. Plus cedar, which melds with the flavors nicely. Based on some things I heard while sharing this bottle, there's a chance that a little age has helped the flavors come together.

Nice thick mouthfeel, not so much alcohol apparent in taste or by burn, very easy drinking. An odd beer maybe, but one I fully recommend.

TurdFurgison, Jan 29, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to Eric (turd) for this one. 2009 bottle poured into a tulip. I was dreading to try this after other Humidor series, but this surprisingly good...This is a looker, a midnight black body with a dark tan head that rises about three full fingers. The heads falls a touch to fast without leaving much of a cap but great lacing at first...As expected the aroma is mostly cedar, strong, astringent, yet fresh and not totally overbearing as lots of dark chocolate adds balance. I also get some fresh tobacco leaves, really nice touch. At points the cedar comes across very strong but it dies and lets other things show, including a touch of mint leaves and alcohol...The cedar takes a backseat on the taste. Its still there and strong but doesn't dominate and makes this drinkable as I came back for a couple more glasses. The chocolate really holds up well here and is actually the main player. Cedar accents with some smoke and vanilla. Hate to say it, this is good!

I had no expectations this would be good. Stay away from cedar aged ipas but the stout holds up. This isn't something I would drink several times, not could I finish a bottle myself. However, its a successful change of pace that I would suggest everyone trying.

jrallen34, Jan 26, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +5%

I've had this a couple times, most recently thanks to Eric (TurdFurgison). Served in a wine glass.

A - Looks like Zhukov. Angry dark mocha foam that quickly dissipates to a thin collar. Pitch black body. Glass-coating brownish oily film.

S - Cedar! But once you get past the cedar there's a hefty amount of dark chocolate, and a hint of vanilla as well. I also get citrus, which I think is my brain playing associative tricks on me.

T - The taste is much more mellow with the cedar influence, and is much better integrated than the last time I had this beer (April 2010). It's a nice blend of cedar, vanilla, chocolate cake, smoke, and light espresso. Finishes with light bitterness. I'm not sure if it's the age or the cedar-aging but the scorched Earth quality I dislike in regular Zhukov has been blunted here.

M - Nice carbonation that is sufficient to keep this from getting syrupy. Full-bodied, sticky finish, and lightly tannic as well. Alcohol is well-hidden.

D - This has gotten a lot better in the last year or so. It was strangely compelling and got better the more I had. I refilled my glass a few times, and we had no problem finishing it.

MasterSki, Jan 26, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Can't remember who shared this, but thanks! From notes.

Pours black =, not much head formation, a few bubbles. Non existent lacing.

Really unique aroma. The cedar impact is huge, its like this kind of rustic bark flavored candle that reminds you of fall. There's also a fruity note as well on top of all the stout characteristics. The taste, very woody as well with a kind of perfume-like fragrance from the wood. Fruity again with the heft of the stout base coming through, though most of the distinct flavors are overshadowed. There is no assertive coffee or chocolate, they are simply background flavors after this wood treatment. Solid mouthfeel, not too oily, adequate carbonation. I was really intrigued by this one and kept coming back to it. I didn't love it, but it was definitely unique. I would like to try this as well as other cigar city cedar-aged beers in the future.

Ineedabeerhere, Oct 23, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle as an extra, huge thanks to Justin. Pours black with a ridiculously thick, dark creamy mocha head. One of the darkest heads I've seen on any beer. Roasty and bitter on the nose, and a sharp note of something almost almost pine like. Bitterness is really high, roasted coffee beans especially, with a piney, almost tangy finish. Not sure the cedar aging really helped this, as that strange finish clashes a bit with the heavily roasted flavors. Not the greatest I've had from CCB.

JAXSON, Sep 07, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

From notes. Bottle shared by rudylaw at a pre-DLD tasting.

A - Pours black, very little head. A few bubbles here and there but otherwise, just the straight black motor oil look.

S - Spanish cedar, reminds me of a Cuban cigar box, mixed with some chocolate and dark fruit. The cedar is really in-your-face on the nose...I mean, REALLY.

T - Not as much cedar as I was expecting. Quite nice. It's got the milk/dark chocolate and a smooth woody/cedar touch to it. Very ncie.

M - Full bodied, rich, creamy finish.

D - Very nice stout. I haven't had the regular version yet so I can't really comment on a comparison. I'll update this once I've had the chance. Overall, me like.

Sean9689, May 23, 2010
Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing