Join our email list →

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

American IPA | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,298 | Hads: 6,947
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Lasting, rocky head. Leaves ring lace after every sip all the way down to the end. It's hazy with a darker amber color.

Beautiful, citrusy with a bit of pine hop aroma. Very fresh smelling.

Bitter throughout the tasting, even up front. The malt is in the background--it's a little sweet and very "round" (full bodied). The bitterness is prickly and peppery. The aftertaste lasts a very long time. Overall, this may be a hop heavy IPA, but it has superb fresh flavors that go together well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

It's been some time since I first tried this one; but that was from a growler. So I'm interested to see how this one ends up.

Pours beautifully and the fragrance is equally impressive. Flavor is citrusy tang on spicy hops. Robust, but still somewhat mature in it's delivery. Bitterness lingers on the tongue. Carbonation does a slight bit too, but provides no flavor interference. An excellent brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had a 10-oz. draft served in a tulip shaped glass at City Tap House. Poured a hazy-like light orange copper color with nice bright white finger width head. The foam clung to the sides of the glass with each ensuing sip. Smelled nice & hoppy, mostly citrus-like, but not too overwhelming. Tasted great - not too overly bitter, but enough to satisfy just about any hophead. Overall, a pleasant surprise. Had previously never heard of this brewery before, but I'll definitely give this one (and other brews from their lineup) another try.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper color with the opacity of honey, some sediment, and a big fluffy eggshell white head leaving thin rings of lace as it goes down.

S: Nose is loaded with tropical fruits, mango, papaya, passionfruit, grapefruit peel, lemon and grass in the nose.

T: Taste starts off malty, and weaves from malt to citrus to malt to tropical fruit to malt and everywhere in between. Delicious.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: Absolutely delicious, and I wish I could try some of the fruit infused versions. That said, I'd DEFINITELY recommend this over the humidor version.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Hoppy, guava, mango, sunshine in a glass with a cool, breezy, grapefruit bite on the finish. Rich, delicious, sticky finish that lingers on. An amazing reflection of the tropical state where this brew is crafted. Great stuff that all those cruise ships heading out of Tampa don't deserve.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Best IPA I've tasted. Not really such a profound statement since I'm pretty new to the craft beer world. Mine had lots of floaties in it, but from other reviewers comments I guess that's to be expected since it was not kept cold. It was brought to me from Tampa by a friend. As far as I know it didn't adversely affect the taste though (first one, so how could I know). This is not a one dimensional beer as I think is often the case with a lot of IPA. Jai Alai is much more balanced, with a healthy malt presence. It also has a much thicker mouth-feel than your standard IPA. A fantastic brew that I hope returns to Georgia very soon. Floridians should not be allowed to keep this to themselves (blatant jealousy intended).

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

White head, light foam, nice lacing as the glass was emptied. Color was typical light orange / golden.

Smell is dominated by herbal hops with a light citrus in the background.

The taste is on par with the best. Nice bitterness balanced by malt and tons of citrus, lemon, grapefruit and orange. There's an initial sweetness on the palate which rolls into a pleasant bitterness with great balance.

The mouthfeel is thicker than I expected with a syrupy body that is very pleasing, especially as the beer warms up a bit.

Overall, this is a winner and ranks up there with many of the greats.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

P: A golden color with nice white head finger sized head that recedes quickly. not too much lacing.

S: Hops hops hops, grapefruit orange and sweetness from the malts.

T: great tasting beer, get the bite from the hops then has a nice citrusy flavor and the malts add the little bit of sweetness.

M: pretty smooth for an IPA nice carbonation.

D: This is my go to craft beer. Being relatively new I know, but still very tasty and easy to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Jai Alai (said like "hi lie") is a game with origins traced back to Basque and was once a big part of florida. This brew pours a deep copper with a medium head of bone color. Lacing is top notch, excellent. Smell is enticing, to say the least, with great attributes being sweet, fruity, spicy HOPPINESS! The taste is clean and fresh with huge floral hoppy notes. Its bitter but the best kind of bitter. I liken it to wasabi(the heat is intense but leaves quick without a trace). Doesn't linger around on the palate like some other well known IPAs. Feel is incredibly smooth, refreshing with a perfect light carbonation. I can't say enough about this beer, easily the best IPA I've had to date. Highly recommended to anyone who likes hops and even those who don't.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

A friends Uncle Bob shipped it from Tampa. Pours a copper orange with a white 3 inch sticky head. Very cloudy in my 13 oz tulip glass,with awesome lacing that sticks around the whole time. Smell is nice, but fairly mellow for a IPA with 7.5ABV. Some citrus and piney hops. The taste is wonderful oranges, pineapple, and pine. Not overwhelming but bitter. Plenty off carbonationand great mouthfeel for a IPA, one of the best I have had. I think this a wonderful IPA. So glad to have a beer from Florida. Wish I had more.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally tried the Jai Alai and was not disappointed
A: not sure, drank out of the can but i'll take peoples word that its outstanding
S: fruity (pineapple, lemon, orange peel)
T: similar upfront citrus but a nice light caramel malt backbone - not too dry or bitter
M: great creaminess with a medium carbonation
Overall: really good, would love to have a steady supply of this from Florida

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pouring a yellow-orange in color, Jai Alai gives off a subtle creaminess to the background of it's nose. The hops are citrusy but smooth and give none of the aggressive bitterness there's a mild malt note in the note as well as though vanilla or caramel. The nose is amazingly balanced and has a touch of tropical fruit as well. On the palate the carbonation is smooth, keeping the texture remarkably creamy. Flavors of citrus, pine, orange and a hint of honey drive the profile. There also a subtle spiciness. The balance of the entire experience is what makes this IPA special. There are elements of malt that keep the hops from overtaking the beer, even on the finish, which has only a small amount of bitterness, but lots of flavor.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- hazy copper since it is unfiltered

S- citrus and hops are what predominantly come to mind for sure

T- first thing you get, which I love, is the citrus of grapefruit and orange. this is balanced with a little malt, and the followed by more citrus with lots of hops. love the taste

M- perfect carbonation level to where it is nice and refreshing without the "fizzy" feel some IPAs get

O- best IPA i have had. if you like citrus and hops this is right up your alley. can drink them like there is no tomorrow

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tons of tropical juice flavor and sweetness start off with a minimal hop bite at the end. Pours a clear light copper body with a bright white head, with very fine and sticky lacing. At 7.5% this is very smooth and the alcohol is well hidden behind the flavors. Perfect beach beer. At only 3 weeks old Im excited to have gotten some.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep orange color with no haze. A white head with a good retention and laces the glass. The smell was really nice with a burst of pine and grass coming in immediately. The taste was similar with a lot of hop notes coming through with pine and herb flavors dominating. A very clean finish though made this one a very drinkable beer despite it's aggressive start. Very happy my cousin lives in Florida and sent this one up to me.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Attractive burnished orange-copper color, impressive head with good retention, strong grapefruit and tangerine on the nose, zesty hops-centric flavors of citrus fruits and pineapple on the palate, good balance with the malt for such a potent, hops-forward ale, excellent length. A terrific IPA with bright, zesty hops reminiscent of tropical fruits, an IPA that nonetheless offers good malt balance.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Savored from a growler (Thank you Federal TapHouse in Harrisburg, PA!) in an IPA glass over 35 minutes.

The pour is an orange-dusted copper with a muted shine to match. It's full of rising carbonation that supports the persistence of a fluffy-creamy off white head that paints the glass with sheets of oil. Overlying lacing is pretty and nicely layered, leaving a few patches behind, as well.

The nose is where this glass of sunshine truly glows. It's like walking into the hop storage room of your favorite brewhouse. It's full of grapefruit and lime, papaya and mango, and also a large dose of earth, evergreen, and even oily petrol slopped over biscuits and softened cherries. There's a nice dank background that comes up as it warms, but doesn't overpower the complexity of all the other bright bouquet elements.

There's an early spicy buzz in the flavor that carries the tartness of lemons along. Then it goes to honied biscuits with a firm malt springboard for all the hops. And those blossoms bring grapefruit, mango and spruce and a nice earthy chew that allows a little bubble gum to pop up, and it comes without clash or complaint. Some spice shines through in the back half of each gulp, including a hint of clove that's nice. It's only the ending that leaves me wanting; comes up just a touch short, though the bitterness is right, I think the blame is to be laid with the mouthfeel.

In the mouth, it's downright sticky, particularly after it warms. Unfortunately, that doesn't lengthen out the flavor profile as I'd have hoped. The carbonation is marvelous up front--moderate to high with those bubbles. It's just a little angular when cold and a little too resin-heavy with warmth. The higher temp does allow spiciness to come into the aftertaste more. It certainly holds on so the earthy complexity of all those hops can work on your tongue and gutters. But something's just not matched up right. Perhaps its the ethanol flaming through, even though its (only) 7.5% might have hidden under all the hop sweets...

I'm thrilled for the recommendation to pick up this beer. It's lively and assertive, and simply fills your nose with joy even before the first gulp. The blend needs some smoothing over. But I love the trampoline shot up into my senses, and I'm going to seek out this high speed game again if given the chance!

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%

And the earth turns on its axis, another day that we went on and dreamt of all the things we wanted to be, all that we wanted to make... the cargo in the sandboxes, a sliver of meaning to our bleak ineptitude. A beautiful beer set before me, a frothy, orange, lacing beer. and we dream of the days that were or will be or wish will be... this longing, you know? longing inside you, inside me, for something... a longing to go home, a nostalgia for somewhere we've never been, a homesickness for those moments of love and ecstasy, those moments of euphoria when the music hits just the crescendo we had hoped for... but even then the beauty is not in the thing itself. The beauty is in something deeper, somewhere deep under our felt longings, something that tugs at our souls and gives us that notion that we need, and we need deeply, though we know not what.. it's a sadness, a distance, an ache that needs fulfilling... and we breathe in beauty and breathe out carbon dioxide, and we give the trees life, and they give us life, and there's something much deeper, something much more meaningful, you're certain of it, but it's just there on the edge of your brain, like a memory of a word that you're sure you know but you can't seem to just draw it out...
And we breathe in the beauties of floral craftsmanship, of this delicate flower that wields such a bite, but is so sensuous that we only desire more of it... we breathe in the mango and the tropics, the memories of that island that we may never have been to, those beaches we see in the movies where it's only the loving couple.. does that ever happen in the real world? So the mango and citrus and the greenery swaying in the breeze... we breathe all this in, and taste the delights of a grapefruit funeral, the little fruit bled itself dry for your enjoyment, and it transports you to one of those states when longing for you know not what overwhelms you... and the prickly and dry dances on the tongue, and lingers with the pure flavour of our favourite flower, the leaves of which we dream of at night, the juice of which we've had in oh so many ways but they never fail to delight us, when they're used carefully, they stir our hearts and remind us once again that we are human, we are ravenous, we are still searching and longing for something that seems to be just beyond our edge of thought, something nothing in the world seems to ever satisfy, a longing that is itself the deepest, saddest, most intense joy we have on this earth, and the thought springs eternal from somewhere beyond our thought...

perhaps we were not made for this world.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed Jai Alai so many times, finally writing a review for one of my favorites.

I drink this guy out of the can, so I'll assume appearance is as good as all other aspects. The smell is such a unique aroma for an IPA. While I know it's going to be citrusy, JA just has this X factor that I'm not experienced enough to put my finger on. Taste is the same way. It's like Cigar City took an amazing IPA and an amazing grapefruit juice and said, "you will now be one". Feel is great, carbed well, goes down smooth with the sightest hint of dryness after taste leaving me craving more. Easily one of my all time favorite IPAs, and one that I certainly hope makes its way to Indiana distribution so I don't have to travel/trade to enjoy.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to RoyMunson for sharing this brew.

A: Pours a coppery amber, hazy as he'll. Medium sized head with a bit of retention and some lacing.

S: Plenty of oranges, grapefruit, pineapple with some pine and resin to support. Real juicy. A bit of sweet malt but not much there.

T/M: Nice crisp bitterness, nice hard water. More of the grapefruit thane orange and pineapple and some more resin than pine. Pleasantly balancingats that don't get big or sticky. Body is around medium with nice carbonation.

D: drinks easy and is nice and tasty.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Can poured into tapered pint glass with a 3in head. Beautiful Amber orange color, with lots of carbonation, and the head held well. Smells citrusy sweet and light. Malty caramel flavors up front with a nice citrusy hoppy note on the back end. Very drinkable, very pleasant IPA. Would love to drink these regulars, great go-to beer but probably not the hoppiest IPA if you're looking for that over the top bitter bite.

12 oz bottle. Tulip.

A: Clear burnt orange pour with a 1.5 fingers of dirty white head.

S: Wonderfully fruity hoppiness: citrus and tropical fruits; and an equal amount of caramel.

T: Very fresh and superbly balanced.

M: Medium to medium thick body and a little sticky.

O: Thank you, Cigar City for gracing my state with your beautiful presence.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap at Vine and Barley in Port St. Lucie. Pours a nice orange tan color with a bit of head, leaves a ton of lac eon the glass. Smell is of citrus and outdoor freshness. Taste is where this is at, leaves pine, orange, tangerine the flavor is all there with a nice overall bitter aftertaste. This is an amazing IPA and it grealy exceeded what I was thinking it was going to taste like. Finally we get an amazing Florida IPA.

355ml bottle bought from MyBreweryTap.com

Poured a golden yellow colour... White head poured fairly thick and foamy then faded to decent light covering... light carbonation... good sticky lacing lines cling to the glass...

Aroma - Light maltiness and tropical fruit mixed with a good dose of citrusy and peppery hops, pine, tart fruits (grapefruit, lemons, apples), very floral, faint honey sweetness, light breadiness, some sea salt...

Taste - Good grassy and citrus hop bitterness, light pine, tart fruits (grapefruits, apples), light sweet biscuit malts, peppery, some salty notes, floral and perfumed...

Feel - Quite smooth with a little bite underneath... light / medium body. Very, very quaffable and refreshing...

Overall - A excellent, straightforward, hoppy IPA... recommended...

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass. White head with enough foam, nice lacing as the glass was emptied. Color was light orange. Looks very good. Doesn't smell as strong as I remember. But whats there is very citrusy. Love the taste, but again, not as strong as I remember it being. Very balanced with citrus, grapefruit and orange. Mouthfeel is just a tiny bit syrupy. Overall, love this beer and it is my go to IPA.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing