Jai Alai IPA | Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Reviews: 1,339 | Ratings: 7,169
4.26/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Sampling a cold 12 oz can poured into a tumbler. The beer pours a bright and mostly clear copper to orange hue.
A bleached white tightly packed head of about 1.5 cm foams up on the pour and fades to a wispy island and clingy lattice after the pour.
Aroma is some citrusy hops and a bit of tropical fruit with just a little grainy malt buried in the nose.
First sip reveals an average body with crisp texture and very fine carbonation.
the flavor is a bit of sweet malt and then some mango and grapefruity citrus hops that dont linger too much but do have a bit of flavor on each swallow.
the beer is very drinkable and sneaky for a beer with >7% ABV.
Glad to have tried this one while visiting Tampa

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

This one is darker than average, almost a light auburn color. Aroma had a small amount of hops. Nothing massive. Couldn't even discern if there was dry hopping.

Taste is a thicker mouthfeel for an ipa, relies heavily on the caramel/crystal malt. No off flavors, comes closer to balance than most current ipas. The caramel has a degree of sweetness to it. Didn't pull the tropical fruit flavors out of it. Pushes the limits of a single ipa in terms of malt and alcohol.

3.94/5  rDev -6%

been wanting to try this for a while. nice nose and taste of orange and tangerine with slightly bitter end. overall a nice ipa but a little overpowering with the orange.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

Smell: orange mango honey some fruit sweetness.
Taste: upfront oranges tangerine mango middle of the mouth honey a syrupy malt sweetness it Finishes with a pine needle bitterness and a peppery heat in the throat.
Feel: thick syrupy body.
Overall: this beer is a little to syrupy for me also you get a little bit of a
burn in the throat which is a little off putting for me. Still though it's a pretty nice beer.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Pours orange-copper with mild haziness, creamy 2- finger head

S: Fragrant tropical orange, grapefruit, mango,coconut

T: Very well-balanced fruitiness with bitterness and bread-toffee notes

F: Well rounded, bitterness follows but doesn't hang, finishes clean. Smoother than expected at 7.5%.

O: My new favorite IPA, enjoyable in every way, full of flavor yet refreshing. Will look forward to picking up some whenever I can get to the Tampa area!

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Been wanting to try this for a while. First Cigar City beer. Can is fairly fresh dated 3-9. L: copper. S: nice tropical smell. Sweet malt, citrusy hops. T: tangy citrus washed down with a watery hop finish. F: light-medium. O: not enough hop bite for me, and too sweet.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a top notch IPA. Slightly more fruity than expected on the nose. Great Hop hit at first taste along with more malt than you would expect however the Hops win the battle. Very well balanced. Like every good IPA, this one makes me happy. If you are questioning if you should try it; don't waste any more time. You should.

4.46/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A true go to IPA. Cigar City nails it. Rock and Roll Hoochi Coo! Best can of IPA with the freshest dates available.

L: Hazy Crazy Golden and Lazy
S: Ooh La La
T: A go back to fun, better than the rest can of whoop
F: Almost IIPA
O: Go to and stock the fridge for a weekend party

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer, great bitter hop flavor and aroma. If you are looking for fresh beer you can't get much closer than Jai Alai. It seems Cigar City prides themselves on fresh beer. I'm located in north Florida and all I've seen is at most a week old. Great beer but a tad bit pricey $10.99 average.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Kind of a chameleon beer for me. I get a 6 pack of this every time I go to Florida on vacation. It has always been a great beach beer for me. It was usually citrus forward with bitter orange peel and grapefruit type hop vibe. I just got back last week from Florida and had my usual 6 pack. Seemed like a different beer to me. it was DANK...as it warmed, it tasted more and more like liquid pot. no off tastes, nothing wrong quality wise, but it seemed like a different beer. It was brewed 3 weeks prior, so it was fresh. it was much more of a slow sipper than a beach banger. Still a fine IPA, but with much more sticky, dank qualities of a DIPA. I must admit that I missed the citrus beachy version, though.

4.16/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This beer is really good.

Orange/Amber color. Smell is hoppy and citrus, but not over whelming. The taste of course has a citrus taste to it almost a grapefruit as well. A bit sticky feel to it but in a good way. Had a nice frothy head on it but not highly carbonated as expected. Overall sublime IPA. Now I always have friends lug it up from Florida to Illinois.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was shocked with how malty this beer smelled/tasted initially - not what you'd expect from an IPA. Its a very hoppy beer, yet somehow the predominate taste was carmel-y biscuit malts with a bitter hop aftertaste. Not very balanced to my palate. Tried this in conjunction with a Sunshine City and the Sunshine City blew this one away in my opinion.

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark orange pour one finger head. Beautiful flowery hop aroma. Citrusy as well. Kind of a candied fruit. Pineapple. Strong malt first sip. Truly balanced. A kind of piney, sappy, bitterness. Bit of a lemony taste. Bitter oranges. Mouthfeel, well carbonated. Kindly of frothy. Overall, like standard oil. This is what most IPAs wish they were.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

Clear orange body with persistent and sticky off-white head.

Sweet upfront with caramel malts and fruity/tropical hops.

Mild bitterness and a medium body. Tastes almost like orange juice with the sweet malts melding with the hop flavor.

4.14/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/19/16 but it doesn't taste like Jai Alai I remember, seems to be a bit more malt rather than citrus flavor. Not sure if this is just a bad batch I'm drinking but disappointed in this one here.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Three Forks in Jacksonville. Side note, it is great to see a good beer list at these high end restaurants.

The beer is copper with rings of off light lace. Slight chill haze.

Aroma of citrus, pine, something earthy and malts.

Caramel malts underpin the resin and citrus pith from the hops.

The mouth is a sublime combo of mouth coating oiliness and fairly sharp carbonation.

Nice beer, I would like to have access to it on a regular basis.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing - Jai Alai. 7.5% ABV. 12oz can into a snifter. Canned on 2/11/16.

Look: Settles a hazy, dark orange/copper with a one finger sized white head, which leaves sticky lacing as it settles.

Smell: Hops, pine, grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruits, and light malt on the nose. Pretty strong aroma, noticeable before even pouring.

Feel: Dry feel, crisp and lively carbonation on a light body.

Taste: Strong hop taste, but somehow without bitterness, with grapefruit, orange, and light malt. Finishes dry.

Overall: Such a highly rated beer, and I can see why. Pale Ales aren't my strong point, but I do know for sure this is a great beer. Nice balance between fruit, hops, and malt, and not overly sweet or bitter.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/11 and poured 3/22. Thanks to Tony for picking this up for me when in Tampa for Hunahpu Day. Needless to say... I've wanted to try this beer for as long as I can remember. Looking forward to this almost as much as the Pliny!

Appearance: Sexy. Dark amber/orange in color with a finger of head that lingers. Nice bit of lacing. There's maybe a very slight haze to this beer.

Smell: One-of-a-kind. I know I'll get hate, but it smells slightly adjuncty. I get a corn vibe in there with spiciness... it's really hard to pinpoint. It's certainly distinct. It almost smells like a sour, dare I say? It has a sort of funk to it that I can't describe. I say this admirably -- it sort of has the aroma of old people. Truthfully tough for me to put into words. I will say that I enjoy it. It obviously has piney and some fruity hops in there (as well as a surprising amount of malt), but there's something else that I can not quite explain.

Taste/feel: Like the smell in many ways. It tastes like it smells (uh... like old people, I guess!?). There's a malt character as much as hop. Honestly, to me, this could be an APA with an ABV "oomph." It has the malt character I'd expect in an imperial IPA. The taste is hoppy and dank as all hell, but it has a dark -- not quite caramel, not quite roast -- malt flavor that makes it stand out. It almost comes off as rye? What an interesting IPA. The feel is just about right on -- moderate with a nice, active carbonation.

On the whole, I dig it. It's probably among my preferred IPAs. I really enjoy that it's more different than many other IPAs I've had, but it's not entirely a good thing. I almost find like this drinks like liquid pot. Is that a bad thing? I guess that depends on who you ask. It's quite piney at times depending on temperature, but there's not enough of a fruity flavor for me. Regardless, this is a beer I'm quite certain I could pick out in a line up, and it's one that I do enjoy. Recommended, for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Dark orange with a massive head that dies down to a tigerstripe surface and sticky matt lacing on the glass.

Aromas of strong pine sap and light bready malt at first, then it turns lightly dank.

A melange of grapefruit, floral, and herbal notes, maybe orange blossom, and a strange bitterness, in a sort of industrial tropical vein.

I've had this several times now, including fresh on tap at the brewpub, previously when the father in law brought some up, and just now in cans at home. My preference for it has changed over the year. There is an almost sourness I never got before, smooth but less so than I remember it, and dry.

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks like an IPA should. Solid head when poured from can, and it sticks around. Juicy taste, refreshing but sticky mouthfeel. If you like the tropical fruit taste pineapple sculpin but want something not flavored, here is your beer, and it's delicious!

EDIT: halfway through pint. How is there not fruit in this? Love it and may go out of my way to track down a case. On par with Ballast Point's Sculpin and Big Eye.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Can into a snifter. Vibrant gold/orange with moderately good clarity. Good carbonation, and topped with a 1 finger head of fluffy, sticky, white foam. Beautiful notes of citrus, grapefruit, mango, hops, pineapple, and light malt on the nose. Super juicy aroma. The taste follows perfectly, bringing tart grapefruit, sweet citrus, slightly bitter hops, and all with a soft, delicate malt backbone. This beer is not complex, but it is masterfully well-balanced. Super juicy and wet, the only way this beer will disappoint you is if you over-hype it in your head to be something it's not. This one is amazing.

3.77/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another winner. Florida has shown me a bunch.

The one is a more typical aipa. Deep yellow with fine head. Hoppy aroma. Hoppy profile that hides most of the malts. Great after taste.

Recommended.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned date was 2 months ago. Relatively fresh poured into a tulip glass.

L: mild orange, slightly opaque with finger width white head
S: wow this is great. A dreamsicle smell. Candy orange, papaya, mango, hints of pineapple.
T: initial bready malt, then slight pine comes through then the hop bitterness hits. Really wish the taste was similar to the smell (more tropical)
M: pretty high carbonation, hop bitterness coats tongue moderately.

Overall good beer. Wish the taste was as tropical as the nose, but I would definitely drink again.

3.97/5  rDev -5.3%

This is a good beer, but I was a little disappointed once I finally got a try it (yes, fresh). Very pretty beer but the smell is a little boring. The taste is a decent blend of citrus and tropical flavors that are overpowered by malts. Feel is nice enough, but a little too sweet and boozy for my preferences. Glad I finally got to try it, but I doubt I will go back for more.

4.36/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Orange, with just a tough of copper. Smell is malty with some citrus notes beneath the sweetness. Taste is Orange candy. Much better than the smell led on. Little bit of stickiness on the feel.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing