Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,196 | Hads: 6,442
4.22/5  rDev +1%

I had this at a beer tasting at Mr. Dunderbaks in Daytona Beach.

A: is nothing extraordinary nice light copper
color. Leaves a nice light lace all the way
the last drop.

S: is where this one begins to jump out at ya.
VERY strong floral hop character.

T: Strong floral hop flavor
that rivals most DIPAs. Excellent

M: Smooth, has the ability to linger on the
palate.

D: Not as drinkable as most IPAs due to the
its higher alcohol and hop content. Not
your session beer by anymeans, but
absolutely delightful. Very impressed. (543 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from can into snifter.

A- Pours a nice light amber. Medium amounts of carbonation and lacing. Small half finger white head.

S- Tropical and citrus fruits. Super fresh and fruity. Lots of pear, mango, even some orange. Not much pine or grass, but some resins very lightly detectable.

T- Just like the smell, this ale is very fruity. Lots of tropical layerings giving it a very fresh and drinkable taste with just the right amount of lightly detected malts and resins. This IPA is super juicy but the light bitterness reminds you its def an IPA.

M- Light bodied, some detectable carbonation, otherwise Id be slamming these like juice boxes. Crisp and clean finish.

O- Lives up to the hype. I hope I run into more of these, as they put a smile on my face. Great warm weather ale, as its very refreshing. A home run by Cigar City. (856 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Dead-on copper color, an inch of frothy cream-colored foam, and a bit of haze gives Jai Alai an almost perfect IPA appearance in my book. Not to mention some of the best lacing you can find. This beer looks beautiful. Simcoe hops are definitely dominant in the nose, with a noticeable aroma of sweet malt. As the glass empties, there's a slight soapiness, but not in an unpleasant way.

Taste has plenty of hop complexity: tropical/pineapple and pine character surely from the Simcoe, and some lighter and sweet-ish citrus notes. Maybe a little too heavy on the crystal malts; there's a sweetness that is a little more on the caramelly side than most IPAs, even on this side of the Mississippi. Light bready malt undertones. The balance is not quite there, and I can't really put a finger on it. It's not overly bitter or sweet, but it's like the malty sweetness jumps into the cancha a bit too soon. It is not way out of whack by any means, but something just feels a little wobbly. I think the noticeable alcohol may play a big part in this perception. Bumping it down a percentage point could go a long way in the smoothness department, and for the beer overall.

The "fastest sport in the world" is heavy on the palate... in a great way. A medium-full body may not encourage a session of this beer, but it does make for an unexpectedly velvety-textured IPA. All in all, Jai Alai is a good beer, but isn't quite there in my book. I would buy it again (if I didn't have to drive 700 miles to get it), but the last sip doesn't pull me to the fridge for another one, like so many other great IPAs. (1,598 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

I was surprisingly impressed by this IPA. Living in Florida I've had total access to CCB's line up of beers. I have to say that I don't love them all but Jai Alai Is my kind of IPA. The color is very golden and pure. The aroma is a terrific citrus smell with the familiar pine presence as well. The taste follows the nose with a up front citrus presence followed by the hops to back it up. Just the right amount of hops without getting out of control but enough to keep the hop heads happy. Excellent balance with the 7% abv completely hidden and all you can think about is popping another beer. Overall this is an excellent IPA and is now part of my regular rotation. I only wish it were a little less expensive. (713 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Received as an extra in a trade for some other CC stuff I had coveted.
Poured from a 12oz. can into a tulip glass.

A: Nice Copper color pour, slightly hazy, with a brilliant white sudsy head that leaves solid lacing.

S: light pine, but very strong tropical fruit smells.

T: Crisp clean IPA, hints of fruit, mild malt finish. Perfectly balanced.

M: Perfect body for the style, finishes nice and without a syrupy finish I get from some IPA's.

O: Best Regular IPA I have ever had, I good drink this over and over. (516 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured in Belgium style pub glass. Color is medium amber pour with quarter inch acing head. Nose has hints of tropical fruit, citrus zest, and citrus hops. Taste comes remarkably close to the nose as citrus hops are present with hints of caramel and pineapple. Not a terribly bitter after taste and is fairly sweet. A very nice IPA from an outstanding brewery. (364 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10%

A - Brilliantly clear, dark copper with off-white head and lacing.

S - Beautiful floral hop aroma and caramel malts.

T - Has a complex citrus, pine, and floral hop flavor. Good bitterness, but not overbearing. Nice caramel flavor to balance everything. Nice dry finish. One of the most balanced IPAs I've ever had, and I don't usually enjoy the east coast IPAs. Well, CCB is on the OTHER west coast, so...

M - Creamy smooth, soft carbonation, no hint of alcohol.

D - So I could drink this all day. Throw in a couple of Humidor Series of this and I would die a happy man.

Yeah, I think the eastern US finally has a contender for best IPA. It took us awhile. This is much more caramel forward in the bottle, as the hop sensation will fade with age. Still excellent, but to get the true essence and promise of this IPA, you gotta have it on draft. (849 characters)

they serve this at the bar down the street from my house. it's AMAZING. the first time i had it it was right after i finished a stone IPA and my friend was trying to tell me to try it but i was hesitant because i was really digging the fact that they had stone IPA on tap. ANYHOW...i was convinced to try it because the brewery is around here in tampa. so first of all the appearance was amazing. nice foamy, sticky, clingy lace. nice amber color. the smell captivated me for like 3 minutes before i even took a sip. smells is like picking a fresh hop, cracking it and smelling it, and also very deep toasty malt. smells soo beautiful. it's really hard to explain. maybe oak chips in there somewhere. taste is a very perfectly balanced romance between beautiful toasty sweet malt and very abrasive (but still beautiful) hops. mouth feel is perfect...but maybe a tad more full bodied than your average american IPA. drinkability is great. the only thing that sucks is that i want to have like 6 of these but i have to drive home....7.5%

call a cab...it's SOOOO worth it to drink this beauty of an AIPA
touche cigar city...TOUCHE (1,128 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz bottle, Glass stein

Appearance - Orange-red, pretty dark really for an American single IPA. Good foam though that maintains a small film throughout the drink. Exceptional lacing.

Smell - Admittedly, I am not sure the correct glass for this beer. Very clean notes of spicy pine, with just a bit of floral. I get almost no citrus.

Taste - A very tasty beer! Initial flavors are light and floral. As the bitterness ramps up in the middle, so does the maltiness. Sweetness peaks in the back, and then BAM, piney bitterness lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouth Feel - Slightly creamy mouthfeel that is very appropriate for the style, especially one that does not completely discount the malt notes. Carbonation is perfect, brings about a spritz that does not sting.

Drinkability - ABV is actually high for the style. To be honest, I actually wish it was a touch lower, its pushing IIPA status. Price was semi-reasonable...a little pricey, I think I paid $12 or so for the 4-pack? But yeah, I would drink this puppy until I couldn't see straight if I could.

Personally, not the best IPA I have ever had, but it's up there for sure. It's a nice change from the citrus/grapefruit IPA's that seem to dominate the American scene. This beer is very well done, and would buy another pack in a heartbeat...if I could friggen get it in NC. (1,333 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

Smells like a grapefruit wrapped in a hop plant. Fruity, hoppy with some mild piney aromas to it.
Carmel malts upfront. Sweet and tasty with a little bready chewiness. A good complexities of flavor, but I'm not sure that they work that well together. The sweetness in the beginning is immediately overtaken by a very bitter aftertaste that lingers for a while. Hop feel circles around the back of the jaw.  Overall a decent beer, and I wish I hadn't heard the hype on it beforehand.  (487 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Drinking it right out of the can.

Appearance: It's a good looking can.

Smell: Citrusy orange, grassy hops, a touch of sweetness.

Taste: Just like the nose. Dominated by orange, lemon, and grapefruit. Followed by a little bit of vanilla and just a bit of wood, complimented by grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and full-bodied, with a very dry crisp finish.

Overall: A very good and well balanced IPA. For the price and the availability, it's hard to beat. (463 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Man, oh, man. After all the times I have had this beer, I finally decided to sit down and review it. 32oz growler poured into my Cigar City pint glass.

This one pours deep amber with a rusty hue. Perfect clarity. A rocky off-white head rose two fingers high and slowly dissipated to a thick quarter-inch cap of foam. Some of the best lacing I have seen. There is a ring all the way around the glass from the initial pour.

Smell is amazing. Citrusy. A bit of mint and pine aroma comes through. Tropical fruits are there as well. Maybe mango?

Taste is very refreshing. Nice and fruity with a fairly harsh yet enjoyable citrus edge. Sharp grapefruit on the finish. I love this beer.

Very smooth mouthfeel. Could perhaps use a bit more carbonation, but this might be unique to this growler. A sticky finish that puckers my mouth up.

The drinkability of this one is extremely high given its ABV. I shudder to think what Wayne and Joey would do with a DIPA considering their IPA is pushing about 7.5%. Goood to the last drop. (1,024 characters)

Fantastic IPA. Not too bitter or hoppy and very drinkable. Would be a very good IPA to introduce someone who has never had th style to. Either way, this is one of the very top IPA's I have had so far. Wish it was available locally as I would buy it all the time (261 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Beer had a great copper hue. Immediately you were hit with a nice hoppy smell which is to be expected from an IPA. Taste was not as hoppy as expected but still very good. Nice after taste with not too much bitterness. Overall this is a wonderful beer and folks who do not like IPA's will enjoy the beer! (303 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a spiegelau ipa glass. Enjoyed with some super spicy indian food and they complimented each other perfectly. This beer is incredibly balanced, just bursting with tropical fruits, peaches, apricots, and tangerines. So easy drinking. The taste lingers but never bitter or biting. I love this beer and could drink it all day. It's juicy but balanced and feels lighter than the abv would suggest. (421 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a hazy orange color with a big foamy head that left behind some good lacing. It smells of hops with some sugar and malts. The taste is slightly better, there is kind of a weird wood to this but it isn't a bad thing. Mostly citrus and pine hops on the malts. Mouthfeel is fine for the style. This beer is a pretty easy drinker and not bad, but not great. (359 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16%

In my snifter- Jai Alai India Pale Ale from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa, Fl. Twelve ounce can poured into a New Belgium snifter. Date on the can is May 31, 2013. This was a gift from my beer guy at Hops & Vines in Odenton, MD.

A- Pours a hazy amber color with a finger and a half of thick bubbles that withdraw quickly. A heavy web of even lacing is left all around the snifter. Volcano of tiny bubbles erupting heartily from the bottom of the glass. Gorgeous brew.

S- Very hearty smell of pineapple, mango and grapefruit. It almost smells too citrusy to be a beer. There is a faint smell of caramel malt, but the overpowering nose of citrus is remarkable.

T- Very nice citrus and hop bitterness. Grapefruit notes along with orange peel and a touch of mint. The finish is good and balanced after the hop punch to the palate. The malts are in there, but only enough for a little balance. There is no sweetness in this brew at all. (As has been mentioned, sweetness does show a little as this beer warms)

M- The mouthfeel is well above par. Nice bite on the introduction, but the final act is like oiled silk. Smooth and viscous all the way down with not even a hint of bite on the back of the throat. Maybe the best ever in this department.

O- Overall I would put this on pace with Sculpin IPA. This is a top-five IPA if not my number one. Shame I can't get it again without going to Florida. Awesome beer. And it's in a CAN! (1,430 characters)

Great aroma, taste floral and fruits, light, very easy to drink.
I shared one can among five people. I enjoyed it, but not my favorite.

I rate to taste, not type.

If you would like to see a picture of the can and beer please refer to the link:
https://carbeers.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/walter-claudia-house-usa/ (317 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Good lord tops was a good one! The awesome citrus and tropical aroma and fantastic taste. I'm lucky to live where this is plentiful and in every grocery store and now I will take advantage! (191 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. This is one gorgeous looking brew. Dark copper color that looks very lively with a great white foamy head.

Smells of all the different hops thrown in there. Very flowery with a hint of citrus.

Taste is... well... a nice kick in the face with hops. Flowers/herbal, lots of citric flavors - mainly grapefruit which leaves it acidic and just a little bit of malty caramel in there to weigh down the hops a bit.

Mouthfeel is good with some slight carbonation, wish it had a bit more.

Really well balanced IPA. I'm not much into hops so I usually have to make an effort to keep these IPA reviews fair, but this one was nice and easy. Still very hoppy, true to IPA style, but just a little bit of malt to soothe my buds a bit. (766 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a very clear light amber with a good amount of head and really impressive lacing.

It smells like a big glass of citrusy, fruity hops. Rather sweet, pineapple and/or mango. A bit grassy, not the big danky hop type.

The initial taste comes across as the nose would indicate, pretty sweet, smooth and tasty. A real strong bitterness midway through followed by a lingering fruity yet smokey note. The malt towards the back keeps this one pretty balanced.

Mouthfeel is rather medium bodied. Good carbonation and a real dry, crisp finish.

Overall, I really enjoy this one. There's a lot going on with this one. The hops come through big but there's a lot of malt to back it up. There's also enough of a booze presence to indicate that this is getting close to imperial territory. Really great IPA. If only it was distributed in MN! (835 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -5%

A: Very unique colored body for this beer its like a cloudy orange red. Head fades leaving a thin white foam rim.

S: I smelled the tropical/ citrus sweetness, and hops of course, very pleasing.

T: The tropical fruitiness is present, and the citric hops as well, very mild for an IPA.

M: Medium body, and medium carbonation, pretty easy drinking IPA.

O: A very nice IPA, certainly will enjoy another. (403 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on tap at the local Buffalo Wild Wings tonight.

Appearance: Clear, dark orange-brown with about a one-finger head. Decent retention and a solid lacing all the way down.

Nose: I don't know if it was just the serving method, or the area I was in and the associated ambient scents, but the nose on this puppy was weak at best. Mainly hops with perhaps a little citrus, but not a whole lot of anything.

Taste: This is where this beer swept me off my feet. It's got a complex sweet, citrusy flavor that dances among several citrus fruits, including grapefruit, apple, orange, and more. On finish, this beer moves to the bitter hop finish that defines the IPA style, but it might be the most balanced of hop finishes I've experienced thus far. By no means is the bitterness overpowering as some others, notably Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, can be.

Mouthfeel: A pleasant amount of carbonation here, and it really helps accentuate the flavors. It's a bit thin, but not unpleasantly so.

Overall: This is probably the best IPA I've had thus far, and if not the best, it's definitely the most balanced. The flavor really helped me move past the weak nose and allowed me to appreciate the full glory of this beer. I'm already looking forward to the next time I have an opportunity to have some of this beer. (1,305 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a hazy, deep copper color with 1 finger off white head that dissipated rather quickly. Moderate lacing. Aroma of sweet malts, bready yeast and grassy, earthy hops with hints of pineapple. This was brewed about a month ago and the hops have taken a back seat a bit but that just leads to a nice balance overall. This is a pretty "heavy" IPA or rather the bitterness has a death grip on my palate. The carbonation is spot on though. Don't think I could have more than one of these in a sitting. (498 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a coppery yellow color with a nice head. A very rich orange/yellow/amber color. Nice.

Nose is typical for a good IPA. Grapefruit, citrus, slightly floral.

This is a very good tasting IPA. I am very impressed. I liken it to two hearted from bells, one of my favorites.

Mouthfeel good for the style. No complaints.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. I would love to try it again. (390 characters)

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing