Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,235 | Hads: 6,601
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at my local Wal-Mart (yes, we're spoiled by Cigar City) in Tampa, FL. $9.49 for the sixer and they come in these nifty green & orange cans:

A- Cloudy, orangey-gold color. It's got some moderate carbonation and a little bit of white, silky head lacing the top.

A- Smells hoppy, piney, and orange zesty… almost like a Blue Moon on roids.

F- The taste packs a punch. It's like biting through the peel of an orange- bitter, but satisfying. Hops are definitely at the helm of this beer, but there's good balance of malt and fruit, leading to a very full-bodied taste. Altogether a complex, yet harmonious flavor profile.

M- Lots of coarse carbonation on the tongue, with heavy, silkiness throughout.

O- This is the beer that first got me into IPAs. It's got that brutal kick upfront that takes you aback, an orangey/fruity middle, and the bitter follow-through that reminds you what a hell of an IPA it is that you're consuming. Jai Alai is not only a terrific beer, but also a great marquee of the Florida beer scene.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

I was surprisingly impressed by this IPA. Living in Florida I've had total access to CCB's line up of beers. I have to say that I don't love them all but Jai Alai Is my kind of IPA. The color is very golden and pure. The aroma is a terrific citrus smell with the familiar pine presence as well. The taste follows the nose with a up front citrus presence followed by the hops to back it up. Just the right amount of hops without getting out of control but enough to keep the hop heads happy. Excellent balance with the 7% abv completely hidden and all you can think about is popping another beer. Overall this is an excellent IPA and is now part of my regular rotation. I only wish it were a little less expensive.

3.86/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a nice orange-amber with a one finger white head and good lacing.

Nose consists mainly of citrusy hops, mostly lemon and orange peel, and some bready malt.

Taste is not very aggresive. Some citrus hops followed by a little bit of piney hops and and balanced out well by some sweet malty to finish. Leaves a nice sweet floral hop aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Aftertaste is dry, but not aggresively.

Drinkability is high. Light enough and mild enough to knock a few back.

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

I was pretty excited when my parents brought me back a sixer of this from their vacation.

A: Cloudy copper hue with a great frothy head that sticks around and won't go away.

S: Hops play into a tangerine, clementine, ruby red grapefruit aroma. Smells so fresh and sweet with a biscuit malt note in the background.

T: Very sweet, its like tangerine and caramel together in the best of ways. There's more malt then some people might care for, but its quickly cut back with a crisp hop bite. Lingering flavor is very much grapefruit.

M: Slightly syrupy for the style. Medium carbonation.

D: Great; flavor has enough to keep you interested, its crisp yet complex, and you'd never guess it was 7.5%. One of the most enjoyable and drinkable American IPA's.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Jai Alai (said like "hi lie") is a game with origins traced back to Basque and was once a big part of florida. This brew pours a deep copper with a medium head of bone color. Lacing is top notch, excellent. Smell is enticing, to say the least, with great attributes being sweet, fruity, spicy HOPPINESS! The taste is clean and fresh with huge floral hoppy notes. Its bitter but the best kind of bitter. I liken it to wasabi(the heat is intense but leaves quick without a trace). Doesn't linger around on the palate like some other well known IPAs. Feel is incredibly smooth, refreshing with a perfect light carbonation. I can't say enough about this beer, easily the best IPA I've had to date. Highly recommended to anyone who likes hops and even those who don't.

4.34/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So, this beer has been showing up roughly once a month in my area of Long Island. Each time it is about 2-3 weeks old. Fresh enough for me. The first time I bought it, I was so pleased that I went out the next morning to buy the rest of the case. Gone. Now every time I go to the store that has this, I buy up all of their stock (usually 2-4 six-packs).

A: Deep orange, almost reddish-brick looking. Tons of carbonation in this batch fades to still a rather heavy lacing. Not much carbonation coming from the bottom of the glass.

S: Bready malts, citrus, slight mango and caramel. Malt really dominates the beginning but fades to a very nice hop aroma.

T: Boom! Citrus, grapefruit, mango explosion. Tons of bready, biscuity and caramel malts to follow. Tastes like damn hoppy orange juice. Awesome.

M: Medium-bodied. Well carbonated. Minimal bitterness (compared to the recent DIPA bombs I've been drinking).

O: One fantastic IPA. I remember, recently, when I started hearing about this beer. I wanted to try this beer for awhile and I walk in one of my local stores and they had it on the shelf. I almost planned a trip down to visit my uncle near Tampa to go to the brewery before it arrived here. I will still be planning that trip. CCB rules.

4.61/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on 16JAN13 into tulip glass
Canned 3DEC12

Pours hazy golden with about a finger of fluffy white head dissipating at average pace.

Strong citrus especially grapefruit. Lots of pine very west coast hop profile smell.

Taste very dry throughout the drink. Very bitter upfront then more grapefruit and orange. Fades to a dry pine finish.

Perfect carbonation and very full feeling IPA. Really enjoy this one.

Thanks to the bartender who gave this to me from her personal cigar city stash when I was in florida recently because she didn't like IPA's!!!

3.94/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours golden with a short head. Smell is of floral hops with some citrusy rind. Taste is bluntly hoppy with some sweet malt flavor. Bitterness stays on strong with a peppery mouth-feel. Overall this beer is, to me, very much like an "old school IPA." It's not quite good enough to fully compete with the breweries making "top-tier" IPAs, but it's certainly going to be better than your average beer.

3.72/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a fresh bottle into a surly PTP glass.

Aggressive pour yielded an one inch cap of fluffy yellow white head. Faded slowly leaving small streaks on the glass

Nose is subdued. Hints of pillowy citrus and fresh cut grass. Smooth hops with a hint of mint and lime.

Flavors were creamy malts, Resinous Hops, and some slight toastiness. Seems like there is a bit of oak or cedar at play as well.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied but very smooth.

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

I've drunk a lot of this but it's my first review of it. Luminous golden amber in color and produces a thick, high, rocky head that sticks to my snifter as it falls. Getting a lot of yeasty malt and caramel sweetness in the nose. Sweet forward with the hops coming through in the middle. A bit bubble gummy in the middle, with something strangely like a Belgian character just before the hops rush in toward a dry, bitter finish. Good carbonation and a slightly resiny, drinkable mouthfeel. I realize now that I've been drinking much more hop forward beers lately and this is more complex and a bit sweeter than I remember it being. Nice to know this is from my neck of the woods. Good.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a duvel tulip.

A-Murky orange/copper with flakes of amber and a large frothy 2" white head

S-Spicy Hops, slight malts and citrus

T-The citrus is a bit more pronounce and the hops more subdued in the taste than in the nose, however it certainly works, a slight alcohol infused malty finish wraps up a delicious tasting beer

M-Crisp, medium bodied and well carbonated

D-Loved having a homegrown Florida beer that was absolutely delicious, a great tasting beverage that I'll definitely be having again.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a 6pack from a ratebeer member who filled up his trunk and drove to us poor peeps in MS to let us have a taste of real beer. This was bottled on dec 8th, I doubt I'll ever get it fresher around here.

Pours a nice slightly cloudy amber, beautiful head, laces perfectly

Smells sweet but not a floral sweet, more like a carmelly sweetness, very promising, I get a hint of spices too, but it's faint.

tastes like it smells, carmel, hops hops and hops, slightly dry finish. I usually go for more floral ipa's but this one is delicious, I love the hint of carmel/malt. Really wish this was readily available anywhere remotely close

4.06/5  rDev -3.1%

I enjoyed this much more than I expected I would. Kept its carbonation fairly well and gave a nice head with some lacing, even after two days of storage in the fridge.

I agree with other reviews that mention both the piney hops and malty sweetness. They are both there, but what is interesting is that they are very separate. The malt is not sickenlingly sweet, but definitely hits you at a different time from the hops, which are not citrusy at all. A friend who also likes IPAs was not big on this -- he tends to be a fan of the citrusy ones.

I don't feel that this brew tastes like it is 7.5%, so drinker beware. Having only had the lame 32 oz. FL version of a growler, I can't say it could sneak up on me, but in larger quantities it might.

My favorite FL IPA I've had in the two years of living here.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a clear but slightly hazy orange with a two finger head that sticks around. The aroma is orange and pine. There may be some mango and pineapple coming through as well. The taste is slightly sweet caramel with tons of orange and decent pine. Tropical fruits are also coming through as well. Mouthfeel is creamy and the carbonation is perfect for the style. Overall, a deliciously sessionable IPA that has become my go-to brew. This is a typical east coast balanced IPA and one that I keep coming back to time and time again.

4.11/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to gtreid for this 32oz growler poured into a shaker pint glass and split with another BA.

A- Clear lightish amber color that had a two finger fluffy white head with good retention throughout the entire drink. Plenty of visible carbonation. Modest lacing on the glass.

S- A lot of citrus hops (grapefruit and hint of lemon) come through when the beer is cold. As it warmed up I picked up a tiny amount of dried hay. Primarily the citrus hops which added a slight sweetness combined with a whiff of caramel.

T- Mixture of sweet ripe orange with not so ripe grapefruit. Some sweet bitter caramel comes through with a lot piney resin bitterness. Long lasting bitterness on the tongue. Not a hop bomb, but as close as good be.

M- Medium body with correct amount of carbonation. Made my cheeks pucker ever so slightly. Easy to drink.

O- This was a good beer. Easy to drink with a nice taste. I could easily put a few of these back without much thought. Nothing all that overpowering about it, yet the lingering bitterness made me want a palate cleanser after a while, be it food or water. Will gladly have another of these when I see it.

3.56/5  rDev -15%

poured from bottle into standard pint glass. lots of wonderful soft head. about two fingers (i was aggressive). pours a beautiful golden haze. nose is all malt, tid bit of hops. taste is malty caramel up front then a solid hop finish. not much citrus in this one. if i had to pin-point, id match some subtle grapefruit. mouthfeel is great, awesome and refreshing. overall, great beer. i would drink it again, and again and again. i would definitely like to try it fresh!

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into my Magic Hat "I toured the brewery & artifactory and won this pint glass" pint glass.

A - Pours a deep amber color with an almost nonexistent white head. Would have expected a bit of a darker color

S -citrus and spice

T - A really unique ipa! Very citrusy with some floral and pine notes and hoppy throughout

M - a little thin, really carbonated

D - high!! Um, delicious.

When I picked this up at 5 points, I asked one of the guys what it was like and he described it as "just...good." That's really what this beer is. I love this.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured in Belgium style pub glass. Color is medium amber pour with quarter inch acing head. Nose has hints of tropical fruit, citrus zest, and citrus hops. Taste comes remarkably close to the nose as citrus hops are present with hints of caramel and pineapple. Not a terribly bitter after taste and is fairly sweet. A very nice IPA from an outstanding brewery.

Has a nice amber color, is pretty murky. It has a very hoppy smell making it hard not to drink right away.It tastes just like it smells, hoppy but with some sweetness to it.

4.44/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Updated review, after having had a couple six packs ranging from 5 days old to 2 weeks old.

L -- Thick bright white head on an copper body.

S -- Bright, citrus hops take it all for me. Can I pretend I smelled the malt in it? No? Ok, just hops then.

T -- Citrusy bitter hops, caramel malt on the back end that's tempered for me by some banana/mango/fruit flavors. The hops are very forward and are great.

F -- Crisp, fresh, smooth, nicely carbonated.

O -- Really great IPA. Some won't enjoy the malt presence, but I think it adds a balance to it. There's plenty of bitter hops in here and the malt tempers that. I can't go wrong with a pretty fresh 6-pack of this, especially on a hot summer beach.

A - pours a very rich copper color with an impressive foamy 2 finger yellow frothy lace that does a good job of hanging around.

S - smells like a well done IPA. Huge notes of grapefruit and citrus all around. Simcoe fairly present in the nose.

T - huge on caramel and grapefruit, this beer is well balanced. Very biscuity, with a good hop kick. Carbonation is a little low to land a very intense twang, but it comes together well. Alcohol very well hidden.

M - medium to full bodied with good balance and enough carbonation and malt to hold everything together well.

O - this is a well done IPA. Not my favorite, but it's enjoyable and I'm glad I got to try it. Not extraordinarily complex, but gets the job done to keep IPA lovers happy.

4.09/5  rDev -2.4%

A - Very clear golden bronze color. Pours great finger head and really good head retention.

S - The aroma literally filled the room upon pour. Smells very citrusy and sweet. Oranges, grapefruit, and a floral bouqet.

T - Very bitter up front. Spicy hop tastes, not as much citrus as you'd expect from the nose. Floraly towards the end. Wish there was a bit more malt backbone to help balance the very bitter taste.

M - Smooth, well carbonated. Goes down very easily.

D - A great beer, could drink a ton of this any given night.

4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a hazy copper color with some interesting floaties in it. Head is off white and about a quarter of an inch high.

S-Citrus hops in the nose with hints of other fruit, possibly banana and even guava.

T- Great hop punch in the beginning giving way to a little be of carmel-y sweetness. Definitely well balanced and is getting better as it warms up a little bit.

M- Really smooth, medium bodied, and crisp on the palate.

O- Great brew here. It is well balanced and juicy, which I really love. Very drinkable but I can see how this might get dangerous given the fact I could drink 4 or 5 of these very easily.

Serving type- 12oz can gently poured into a pint glass as instructed by the can. Thanks for reading.

4.66/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - copper, burnt orange, brilliant white head, pillowly foam

S - grapefruit and citrusy hops, toasted bread, sweet honey-like notes

T - follows the noise, love the malty base, lots of fruity and floral hops with a late mouth bitterness that builds throughout but never overpowers the strong malt sweetness, no hint of the 7.5 abv - could drink this all night

M - smooth going down with medium carbonation, thicker than many american ipas, kind of chewy

0 - one of my favorites - wonderful balance between all that is at work here. i've had in the can as well as on tap and prefer the can. really wonderful and memorable stuff

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to Dolfan84 for this one!

A - Dark amber with one finger head.

S - Very much key to east coast style. Citrus, grapefruit, maybe a little orange and pineapple. Very crisp

T - Shining point for me. Citrus up front with a surprising pine element that I couldn't find in the nose. Stick grapefruit and caramel finishes off strong.

M - Medium carbonation, very easy to drink.

O - Another great beer from CCB. Fresh, this is a great IPA and a very drinkable one. Can't wait to try more

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing