Microbrew Invitational

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Reviews: 1,354 | Ratings: 7,232
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap. Hazy orange amber in color with a fluffy white head, left a lot of sticky lacing. Smells resinous, citrusy, and with some malty sweetness. Taste is more malt forward than I expected, with the hop flavor and bitterness developing across the palette. Big orange, tangerine, and mango flavors, sweet enough to counteract the strong hop presence. Feel is smooth with a sticky aftertaste, lots of lingering bitterness on the finish. Overall this was a good IPA. I don't think it QUITE lived up to the hype for me, it wasn't the runaway winner of the "best IPA in my life" award. But it's still a very good beer. Somewhat hard to find in PA, so I probably wouldn't go out of my way to have another.

4.19/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

32-oz growler pour from wine world in pcb.

pours a slightly hazy orange-brown. decent head settles out to thin film with some spotty lace. sheets cling to the side and fall back with each sip.

aroma of herbal, woody funk. this shit is dank. some light brown sugar and tropical fruit as well.

mascerated pineapple, papaya, and woody sap are like a tropical brandy. big hit of orange oil. grapefruit bitterness rises late. dirty sock funkiness is unique and pleasing. bitterness lingers but doesnt bite too hard. lots of complex, resiny hop flavors, with a solid cotton candy sweetness and caramel underneath. bit of alcohol warmth in the back of the throat.

medium bodied and sticky, with just the right carbonation. mouth coating and a bit heavy after a while.

definitely a sipper, but does not overwhelm the palate. well done. seems like another step forward for big ipas.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a nice orange amber color with a white head. A great IPA that has awesome citrus and tropical fruit notes! I definitely need to get me a six pack of this great brew!

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasty, full bodied IPA. Deep citrus taste with a malty, toasted caramel backbone. A real highlight out of FLA. Appears on some top 10 beers in USA lists, and for good reason.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

A big thanks to HeyOhhh for including this extra in a recent trade. It's a perfect time of year for drinking some IPAs! Getting ready for a trip and figured I'd crack open a few beers to help me along. Call this "number one of several."

Pours a medium colored apricot leaving a reasonable one-finger eggshell head. This doesn't stay around long but leaves some clumped lace all over the glass...kinda makes me thing I'm taking a Rorschach test..."I see...an elephant!" (actually, it really does kind of look like an elephant with really big ears). The head reduces quickly to wispy white cap with an outlined elipse-turned-kidney bean sitting in the middle - cool. Bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of my DGH signature glass throughout the session.

Definitely leans toward the sweet, fruity side of the IPA spectrum. Actually, this is quite sweet with varying tropical fruits spanning all the way to mild cotton candy. A slight floral smell peaks out every now and then as well. Few bitter hops on the nose - this one sure is inviting.

Well the hops are definitely in there! Not nearly as subtle on the palate as they were on the nose. Actually quite a bit more hoppy than I would have suspected - they dominate the flavor profile. The sweetness is not nearly as conspicuous as it was in the smell, although there is a caramel maltiness once you get past the hops. This leaves a lingering bitterness but is still quite dry. Medium-bodied and middle of the road "creaminess," I'd still consider this a decent IPA.

Definitely not one of my all-time favorite IPAs, but decent. I wish the taste had a bit more of the citrusy sweetness that the nose suggested it might.

Consumed: 6/19/2010

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

12 oz. can poured into a tulip glass. Canned in Feb 2016.

L - Nice amber color with two finger head. Ring of foam around the glass. Lacing gripping to glass.

S - No surprise but orange is the dominant aroma. Little bit of orange pulp and peel. Not too aromatic.

T - Orange-pine taste. Citrus almost comes off as the bitterness. Finishes like an acidic aftertaste of orange juice. WOW!

F - No alcohol taste at all. Medium-light body with very little aftertaste. Easy drinking.

O - I would reccommend this to someone who wants to be introduced to IPAs. Deserves to be one of the best IPAs in the country. Must-try, do not put it off!

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

12 oz bottle received from Tanger in Secret Santa 2010, and poured into a Free State pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a very hazy, dark amberish color with a finger of billowy soft head that shows awesome retention. This beer is a lot darker than I had imagined, and it's also a lot cloudier than expected as well.

Smell: Surprisingly malty for an IPA, but not so surprising based on the appearance of this brew. A litte bit of hop bitterness (citrus and a bit of pine), but the most prevalent portion of the nose is reserved for the sweet breadier malts. Some grains of paradise and a bit of toasted wheat also show.

Taste: Exactly like the nose suggest, this is a very solid and filling beer. Initial citrical bitterness is quickly replaced with a heavy bready malt flavor, and rounded out with a sharp pine aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very heavy. I was picturing a nice crisp IPA, and what I've gotten is a, to say the least, a mouthful. It coats the tongue and palate, and it tries to finish clean, but the residual sweetness creates an aftertaste that is both bitter and sweet.

Drinkability: As good as this beer is, I'm not sure that I could have more than 1 or 2 in a sitting. The heaviness and the bit of alcohol warming makes me glad I opened this up on the coldest evening of the year, and I'm definitely thankful to Jon for giving me a chance to try this beer. If I'm somewhere CC distributes, I'll definitely seek this out again.

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A regular favorite of mine I'm just now getting around to review.

Poured with a little aggression this golden copper brew yields about a one inch head of tight tiny bubbles that simmers down pretty quickly leaving a thin white film on top of the beer all the way down.
Nose is full of citrus and tropical fruit with a little bit of woody pine.
The taste is nice and full. Lots of sweet and bitter hops.
Mouth feel could be a little more smooth, but the hop flavors resonate for awhile which is nice.
Overall I stick with the fact that this is the best IPA I can get readily at a good price and will keep giving cigar city my money.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

An extra from CaptianRedBeard thanks man, 12oz into an av snifter
A-dark murky orange with a lively one finger frothy head, my gf says it looks good so that's a plus, on closer inspection it still has a good amount of bubbles forming
S-lots of citrus, possibly some grapefruit, smells delicious
T-lots of hops upfront,amazing, very citrusy a lot like the smell, it's delicious
M-lots of bitter and tingle all over the place except the end of the drink, the wet finish was a bit of a surprise
O/d- it's a great lite session type of ipa, maybe not an all dayer for most but I'd like to spend a whole day drinking this.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

I've avoided evaluating bottled versions of IPAs because it is a style that needs to be enjoyed fresh. Being that bottled beer seldom reaches the drinking glass fresh, I can't consider my tastings fair source for evaluation. This is an exception.

A - Light gold. Nice head. Has the same makings as a good girlfriend.

A - simcoe is prevalent, but not offensive. Citrus and pine flush the senses. This beer is noticed from across the table.

T - juicy, oily, soft caramel sweetness. Enough said. The citrus isn't rind bitter, the pine isn't scalding hot. There's no cat piss. Flavorful, while inoffensive.

M - its as strong as it is because it finishes dry. Of course It's not grainy or too thin.

O - Not my favorite beer ever, but got dayum ... Is love to have this one in tap.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

A- A beautiful copper/caramel color that is perfectly transparent. Off white head with a ton of lacing down the glass that clings on pretty much forever, as far as I can tell.

S- Huge grapefruit with a lot of citrus and pine in the background. The smell feels like Florida, which CCB seems to incorporate into beer frequently.

T- There is a ton of hop flavor in this beer. Lots of grapefruit and more of a resin/pine flavor in the middle than was evident in the nose. The hop bitterness is very prevalent, but the malt background keep it from getting offensive. The bitterness sticks around reminding you to hurry up and take another sip.

M- The ample amount of carbonation ties in with the medium body. It is crisp and refreshing all the way through.

O- This beer is a great IPA that really impresses me. I am a little burnt out on IPA's right now, but I would drink this again frequently, but not in large volume. Even if this wasn't local, I would still be as thrilled with this beer.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

So I'm sorry that I missed it but on of the top Cigar City guys came to Hop City a couple of Saturdays ago and brought us some fresh bottled Jai Alai, Maduro brown, and some other great stuff I didn't get to try.
Bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a fair yellow color that's slightly hazy with a 1 inch white head with poor retention.

Smell: Light sweet maltiness with a fruity, citrusy, flowery, and spicy hop notes and a little booze. Sooo crisp and fresh.

Taste: So incredible fresh. I feel as though I could drink these all day fresh. I love the crispness and the powerful spice, citrus, and flowery taste to it. Just great and simple.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A simple and fantastic IPA.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Gently poured (as instructed!) from a June 5th 12oz can into shaker glass. Deep copper-orange but due to the pour, very slight one-finger head though that ring did leave some lacing right to the bottom. Light on the nose with hints of cracker, citrus, wildflowers and grass.

Expected hoppy pine bitterness was definitely there but very drinkable. Remember chewing on a long blade of grass when you were a kid? A little bit of that taste and a hint of sweetness. Very smooth finish with no overpowering bitterness. Couldn't wait to grab another. Not my favorite what with Zombie Dust and Daisy Cutter in my neck of the woods, but very, very good. Liked it better than Two Hearted.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wow. Best IPA I've had in a while, well crafted, and a great take on the style. Glad to finally get to try it on a trip to the Keys. Spent two weeks getting to know this gem. Pours a dark honey with a half inch creamy head, and great lacing. A big nose of tropical fruit and hops. Taste is plenty of fruit, mango, pineapple, and tangerine, with a great hop presence and a nice bitter finish. A touch of caramel malt balance it out nicely. Not boozy, but full bodied. A truly great IPA that I will look forward to on my next trip to Florida. Room for some in my suitcase home for sure.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Wow. What great IPA!

A- hazy copper. Gorgeous color. Small head and a little lacing.

S- smell is pretty average. Exactly what I'd expect from an IPA or IIPA. Definitely some citrus and pine. But it's not strong.

T- wow. Lots of malt and hop. Caramel, tropical mix of fruits, etc. A great zing in my mouth. Small biscuity lingering from the malts. Love it!

M- medium body with a great playfulness from the carbonation. Not too much. Dances on my tongue.

O- like I said....wow. Way to go, Cigar City. This is an oustanding IPA! I need more, like right now!

3.62/5  rDev -13.8%

Enjoyed from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

A: Appearance is nice. A rich dark yellow beer with little or no foaming. Lacing was similar to cat spit (but in a good way) and didn't hang around long.

S: Not much at all on the nose. Some wet biscuit and malty goodness but little else. I was expecting a lot more aromatics out of an IPA.

T: What it lacks in scent, it makes up for in taste. Very pleasing frontal earthy floral hops drip all over the tongue; lasting approximately five minutes on one pull of the glass. After which, the middle flavors of plum and apricot emerge and do a little dance with biscuity yeast undertones while the alcohol warms the sides of your mouth. The finish is dry, warm and fruity.

M: Ultra smooth due to little carbonation. A nice creamy wetness blankets the mouth, then fades to a fruited, sunny dryness.

O: Love it. On the first smell, I wasn't sure i'd like this beer at all because it has literally no hops smell. It's not an aroma hopped beer, but I think they dumped a ton of fresh hops in the boil.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%

Reviewed from notes

A - Copper color with 2 finger pillowy white head. Excellent lacing on the glass

S - Floral aromas, pineapple, pine resin

T - Pineapple, caramel malt, then bitter piney hop finish. Good balance of sweet and bitter

M - Thick for an IPA

O - Very solid offering; perhaps not as crisp as some, but quite tasty

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm so glad I found this IPA. Jai Alai is my go to, year round IPA. Being on the East coast, we get super fresh Jai Alai weekly in Philly. Thanks Cigar City!!! I'm never surprised to go into my lbs and find Jai Alai that was canned within two weeks of my purchase. Jai Alai taught me to always look at those bottle on dates and with the exception of the local breweries, no brewery pumps out awesome, fresh beer like Cigar City. I can't get enough of this stuff!

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a nice translucent copper color with a tight one finger head. Moderate lacing.

S: A nice hop forward aroma right out of the bottle. A hint of carmel malt sweetness.

T: Definetly hop forward, but still a nice malt backbone balances things out. Citrus and grapefruit flavors stand out up front followed by the carmel malts. A slight touch of astringency in the finish.

M: Smooth with a good level of carbonation. A slightly oily finish.

D: I could certainly go through a few of these. A great IPA that goes down easy. Unfotunately this was my last bottle and now I need to get some more.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was surprisingly impressed by this IPA. Living in Florida I've had total access to CCB's line up of beers. I have to say that I don't love them all but Jai Alai Is my kind of IPA. The color is very golden and pure. The aroma is a terrific citrus smell with the familiar pine presence as well. The taste follows the nose with a up front citrus presence followed by the hops to back it up. Just the right amount of hops without getting out of control but enough to keep the hop heads happy. Excellent balance with the 7% abv completely hidden and all you can think about is popping another beer. Overall this is an excellent IPA and is now part of my regular rotation. I only wish it were a little less expensive.

Three years later and this beer is always in my refrigerator. It's the best consistently distributed IPA in Florida.

To date this is the finest IPA I have ever tasted. Discovered it at a small restaurant in Ybor City in Tampa. I found 6 packs available only at Whole foods in Tampa and no where else since. I judge all IPA's based on this one and Sierra Nevada my old standby which I gave an 8. Learning more each day about the brewing and chemistry of IPA beers. The beer was equally good in the bottle.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Nice copper color, has some haze to it. Lots of sticky lacing.

S: As soon as I popped open the can, the aroma filled my nose. Tropical fruit explosion.

T: Follows the nose, and is balanced very nicely with caramel malt. Outstanding stuff and get bets better after each and every sip.

M: Good carbonation for the style. I could knock back these all night.

O: Couldn't put this one down. Wish I had regular access to it.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- nice bright deep orange (if that makes sense) I got a half finger head that goes away pretty quick, I'm also getting a lot of floating hop debris, looks very nice though

S- nice tropical fruits. Fresh pineapple, grapefruit, mango, also a nice malt component in the back. Smells great!

T- follows the nose, I'm getting more grapefruit in the taste though, thought I would get more pineapple, but the pineapple is still there. Big tropical hops in this one, bitter on the tongue, but has a nice malt backbone to balance it all out. Finishes with the mango. It drinks almost like an imperial, and with the abv that high it almost is in my opinion.

M- medium body, dry at first but goes away and leaves your palate fresh for the next sip.

O- overall one of my favorite IPAs, nice west coast style, great brew.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this one up on a lark on holiday. What a find!

Pours a cloudy golden with a generous head that lingers and lots of lacing remains on the sides. Smells of cloves and grapefruit.

Taste explodes with hops, maltiness--even tobacco. Strong on the fruity taste (esp. grapefruit) but not overly much.

There's a carbonated bite on the tongue and a nice bitter finish.

Wonderful

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Served the 12oz bottle into an English pub pint glass. Beautiful apperance with a one finger creamy head and an amber colored body that didn't let much through. Some lacing was present. The smell of this beer is amazing, as I was pouring it I already started to feel the aromas rising from the glass: this beer hits you with fruits, hops and most of all a strong oak and wood aroma. Nose follows the taste with an oak flavor that ends with a combination of fruits and bitterness in the palate. The alcohol level provides a big punch in the taste and you can feel it in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium with slight carbonation.

Overall, this is an excellent IPA and I must say that even though I'm not a big fan of this style this is a must-drink for all the beer lovers out there.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing