Microbrew Invitational

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

Added by cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Reviews: 1,355 | Ratings: 7,237
4.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Dark orange pour one finger head. Beautiful flowery hop aroma. Citrusy as well. Kind of a candied fruit. Pineapple. Strong malt first sip. Truly balanced. A kind of piney, sappy, bitterness. Bit of a lemony taste. Bitter oranges. Mouthfeel, well carbonated. Kindly of frothy. Overall, like standard oil. This is what most IPAs wish they were.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

Clear orange body with persistent and sticky off-white head.

Sweet upfront with caramel malts and fruity/tropical hops.

Mild bitterness and a medium body. Tastes almost like orange juice with the sweet malts melding with the hop flavor.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/19/16 but it doesn't taste like Jai Alai I remember, seems to be a bit more malt rather than citrus flavor. Not sure if this is just a bad batch I'm drinking but disappointed in this one here.

4.04/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at Three Forks in Jacksonville. Side note, it is great to see a good beer list at these high end restaurants.

The beer is copper with rings of off light lace. Slight chill haze.

Aroma of citrus, pine, something earthy and malts.

Caramel malts underpin the resin and citrus pith from the hops.

The mouth is a sublime combo of mouth coating oiliness and fairly sharp carbonation.

Nice beer, I would like to have access to it on a regular basis.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing - Jai Alai. 7.5% ABV. 12oz can into a snifter. Canned on 2/11/16.

Look: Settles a hazy, dark orange/copper with a one finger sized white head, which leaves sticky lacing as it settles.

Smell: Hops, pine, grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruits, and light malt on the nose. Pretty strong aroma, noticeable before even pouring.

Feel: Dry feel, crisp and lively carbonation on a light body.

Taste: Strong hop taste, but somehow without bitterness, with grapefruit, orange, and light malt. Finishes dry.

Overall: Such a highly rated beer, and I can see why. Pale Ales aren't my strong point, but I do know for sure this is a great beer. Nice balance between fruit, hops, and malt, and not overly sweet or bitter.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Pour: On draft at the Jeffery in NYC. Poured into a tulip. Appearance: Dark amber and orange in color with a finger of white head. Very nice bit of lacing present. Aroma: Citrus upfront. Dank and juicy hops. Floral and herbal notes are present as well. Taste: Follows the nose with dank and juicy hops. Some bitterness and a subtle malty backbone. Aftertaste: finishes sweet and a little boozy. Malt character is very present on the back end. Overall: My fist foray into Cigar City Brewing. Really liked the offering and will seek out their other beers.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/11 and poured 3/22. Thanks to Tony for picking this up for me when in Tampa for Hunahpu Day. Needless to say... I've wanted to try this beer for as long as I can remember. Looking forward to this almost as much as the Pliny!

Appearance: Sexy. Dark amber/orange in color with a finger of head that lingers. Nice bit of lacing. There's maybe a very slight haze to this beer.

Smell: One-of-a-kind. I know I'll get hate, but it smells slightly adjuncty. I get a corn vibe in there with spiciness... it's really hard to pinpoint. It's certainly distinct. It almost smells like a sour, dare I say? It has a sort of funk to it that I can't describe. I say this admirably -- it sort of has the aroma of old people. Truthfully tough for me to put into words. I will say that I enjoy it. It obviously has piney and some fruity hops in there (as well as a surprising amount of malt), but there's something else that I can not quite explain.

Taste/feel: Like the smell in many ways. It tastes like it smells (uh... like old people, I guess!?). There's a malt character as much as hop. Honestly, to me, this could be an APA with an ABV "oomph." It has the malt character I'd expect in an imperial IPA. The taste is hoppy and dank as all hell, but it has a dark -- not quite caramel, not quite roast -- malt flavor that makes it stand out. It almost comes off as rye? What an interesting IPA. The feel is just about right on -- moderate with a nice, active carbonation.

On the whole, I dig it. It's probably among my preferred IPAs. I really enjoy that it's more different than many other IPAs I've had, but it's not entirely a good thing. I almost find like this drinks like liquid pot. Is that a bad thing? I guess that depends on who you ask. It's quite piney at times depending on temperature, but there's not enough of a fruity flavor for me. Regardless, this is a beer I'm quite certain I could pick out in a line up, and it's one that I do enjoy. Recommended, for sure.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

Dark orange with a massive head that dies down to a tigerstripe surface and sticky matt lacing on the glass.

Aromas of strong pine sap and light bready malt at first, then it turns lightly dank.

A melange of grapefruit, floral, and herbal notes, maybe orange blossom, and a strange bitterness, in a sort of industrial tropical vein.

I've had this several times now, including fresh on tap at the brewpub, previously when the father in law brought some up, and just now in cans at home. My preference for it has changed over the year. There is an almost sourness I never got before, smooth but less so than I remember it, and dry.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Looks like an IPA should. Solid head when poured from can, and it sticks around. Juicy taste, refreshing but sticky mouthfeel. If you like the tropical fruit taste pineapple sculpin but want something not flavored, here is your beer, and it's delicious!

EDIT: halfway through pint. How is there not fruit in this? Love it and may go out of my way to track down a case. On par with Ballast Point's Sculpin and Big Eye.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Can into a snifter. Vibrant gold/orange with moderately good clarity. Good carbonation, and topped with a 1 finger head of fluffy, sticky, white foam. Beautiful notes of citrus, grapefruit, mango, hops, pineapple, and light malt on the nose. Super juicy aroma. The taste follows perfectly, bringing tart grapefruit, sweet citrus, slightly bitter hops, and all with a soft, delicate malt backbone. This beer is not complex, but it is masterfully well-balanced. Super juicy and wet, the only way this beer will disappoint you is if you over-hype it in your head to be something it's not. This one is amazing.

3.77/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another winner. Florida has shown me a bunch.

The one is a more typical aipa. Deep yellow with fine head. Hoppy aroma. Hoppy profile that hides most of the malts. Great after taste.

Recommended.

4.01/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned date was 2 months ago. Relatively fresh poured into a tulip glass.

L: mild orange, slightly opaque with finger width white head
S: wow this is great. A dreamsicle smell. Candy orange, papaya, mango, hints of pineapple.
T: initial bready malt, then slight pine comes through then the hop bitterness hits. Really wish the taste was similar to the smell (more tropical)
M: pretty high carbonation, hop bitterness coats tongue moderately.

Overall good beer. Wish the taste was as tropical as the nose, but I would definitely drink again.

3.97/5  rDev -5.5%

This is a good beer, but I was a little disappointed once I finally got a try it (yes, fresh). Very pretty beer but the smell is a little boring. The taste is a decent blend of citrus and tropical flavors that are overpowered by malts. Feel is nice enough, but a little too sweet and boozy for my preferences. Glad I finally got to try it, but I doubt I will go back for more.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Orange, with just a tough of copper. Smell is malty with some citrus notes beneath the sweetness. Taste is Orange candy. Much better than the smell led on. Little bit of stickiness on the feel.

4.61/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This has been my go to IPA. I still branch out and try new stuff one actually topped Jai Alai for me. I've been drinking IPA almost a year now and can't really tolerate mainstream beer like bud, bud light, miller etc..
Jai Alai has a good IPA taste without being overwhelming like Goose Island IPA.

Highly recommended along with most of what Cigar City brews up.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this on tap. Hazy orange amber in color with a fluffy white head, left a lot of sticky lacing. Smells resinous, citrusy, and with some malty sweetness. Taste is more malt forward than I expected, with the hop flavor and bitterness developing across the palette. Big orange, tangerine, and mango flavors, sweet enough to counteract the strong hop presence. Feel is smooth with a sticky aftertaste, lots of lingering bitterness on the finish. Overall this was a good IPA. I don't think it QUITE lived up to the hype for me, it wasn't the runaway winner of the "best IPA in my life" award. But it's still a very good beer. Somewhat hard to find in PA, so I probably wouldn't go out of my way to have another.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Very smooth and remarkably well balanced for containing six hops. Found it to have a pleasant aroma upon opening. Maintains your average IPA mouth feel.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

L: Pours a mildly hazy golden-orange with a white head.

S: Citrusy and resinous, with bready malt, a bit of gooseberries, melons and papaya.

T: Malty with citrusy and piney hop flavors. Bready malt with a hint of caramel. Medium-length bitter finish with flavors of grapefruit rind, cantaloupe and doughy bread. Starts off malt-forward, but there’s a nice puckering hop character present as well.

F: Medium body with just below average carbonation. Some chewiness and slickness in the mouthfeel, and a hint of warmth in the finish.

Thoughts: Solid, fairly easy to drink IPA. On the malty side but with a nice puckering hoppiness.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

A tie for my favorite extra hoppy ipa. I may be a little biased as it is regularly available in local stores and bars and is brewed and bottled just down the road in Tampa. Had my first one with a fish taco...the taco was good but the beer was absolutely tasty. Totally agree with most reviews re..orangey, floral, honey, hoppy, delicious! Very bold but really easy to drink. A little pricey at about $10 for a six pack locally, but worth every penny. If you get the chance, try this little slice of heaven.

4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a clear golden hue with good foam. Aroma is high of floral hops, very delicate & enticing with notes of honey blossom & tropical citrus. I found it to be a very elegant & well balanced IPA. The notes are predominantly tropical citrus with passion fruit & mango being detectable. There is some hop bitterness through the end but it isn't over-the-top. Overall this is an excellent, eminently drinkable IPA, one of the best

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This IPA really hits the senses! Very noticeable scent of pine and citrus fruits with taste that matches. Great lacing head and mouthfeel. I'm not going to say it's the best tasting IPA I've had, but it's very well balanced!

3.94/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Finally found this in VA. Canned 1 month prior.

Poured into an IPA glass. Dark amber with gorgeous white cap. Zero lacing.

Nose is a touch on the sweet side, floral notes on the hops.

Flavor is nice - maybe not quite fresh enough for me to fall in line with the higher scores but it's a really nice IPA that a month + canning and no idea if it was kept cold, is still juicy, fruity, and floral. Malt doesn't come through big at all.

Great mouthfeel - full, round and soft for an IPA like this. Very nice.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Copper colored, white head, sticky lacing. Smells sweet with orange blossom aroma and caramel. The taste is sweet caramel orange and flowery hops. Medium body with medium caucusing. Dangerously drinkable beer.

3.82/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz. can served in a shaker pint (thanks Mike!). Canned 01/06/16. Pours a lovely golden orange with a tight, half-inch, cream-colored head. Head eventually settles into a solid 1/8th cap. Light spots of lacing are revealed during the tasting. Nose is somewhat subdued - evidence of citrus notes and yeast as well as a kiss of tropical fruit. Taste expresses citrus, an earthy/herbal quality and a trace of caramel malt. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body with a carbonation just shy of lively and a light acidity. Overall, a decent IPA - I'd be happy to have this as a readily accessible offering; however, it didn't knock my socks off.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can. Bright clear orange, thick creamy white head with good retention and coating lace. Sweet fruity citrus aroma. Juicy tropical taste, like biting into a tangerine. Just enough cracker malt balance. Medium slick mouthfeel. Such a clean taste, get this bad boy any time I go to the Sunshine state.

Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing