Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
JTSbeerislife

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle, purchased 7/2011 from a reliable bottle shop and well stored since, there is a 042311 printed on label in white ink. Is this the bottling date? Drink by date?

Poured into a Corsendonk Tulip, a tall narrow Tulip glass.

Pours a nice one finger head, nice rich amber color, the head settles down in to a persistent ¼ inch cap, easily increased with a light swirl, a very lively ale. This is an ale that looks real.

The piney hops are the leader in the smell when first pored, then the malt takes its turn, both could be a little more distinctive IMO.

Delicious rich malt hits your flavor buds first but are quickly dominated by the crisp acidity and the nice piney hops, delicious!, lots more going on here then the smell would seem to indicate, the hop oils stick to your mouth.

Great full bodied mouth feel, which with the wonderfully balanced carbonation really helps the overall pleasure of drinking this ale.

Very long finish of more or less malt dominated flavors, though the hop oils definitely present.

Over all a very good IPA, the 7.5% ABV seems close to an imperial. I have tried a couple different glasses for this one, the British Imp Nonic being first of course, but finally settled on the one stated above. Also the temperature, seems best at 55 degrees or so. I know that seems warm, but well my opinion.

This is a really good ale, and yet it seems to be missing something? I know I was hoping for more of a hop “kick”, still the hops are here. Is this an old bottle or a six pack that was mishandled?, or am I just missing it on this one?

I tried to decode the “label date” as noted above. My online resources state that CCB does not use a bottling code but this sure looks like 04/23/2011 to me. Who knows.

08-22-2011 00:59:20 | More by JTSbeerislife
bamsdealer

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

a- poured a hazy, amber/burnt orange color into a pint glass. A rather large, white head dissipated quickly, but left bubbles and nice lacing all the way to the bottom.

s- Floral notes were there, but it was hard to pick up much else since my allergies are acting up.

t- Hops are very present, but this really is a mellow, well balanced IPA with a decent amount of sweetness making it's way though. A pleasant flavor but it's hard to pinpoint what citrus flavors are making their way though

m- Carbonation was a little overbearing the first few sips, but the remainder of the beer had a nice, slightly creamy mouthfeel

o- A bit more carbonated than I like my IPAs, but it's hard to hold that against what's an exceptional beer from Cigar City.

08-21-2011 02:20:23 | More by bamsdealer
donkeyrunner

"Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville and this is jai alai" - Johnny Knoxville, Jackass.

Thick, goopy-looking orange with a creamy wheat head. Rocky retention with a few smudges of lace.

Nectarine, tangerine, orange-ine citures. Big malty backup carries a few telltale whiffs of alcohol.

Sharp, snappy bitter blossoms into engaging tangerine and Orange Julius hop heaven. Ample malty backup carries some heat.

It's like a big hoppy IPA with the malt bill of a DIPA. Either amp up the hops or town down the malt.

08-20-2011 18:40:57 | More by donkeyrunner
elgiacomo

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

12oz bottled June 13, 2011. Served at around 45F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a large fluffy white head that leaves nice lacing and recedes to a small cap.

Aroma is very floral with pine and grass notes, some tropical fruits, mango, and apricot. Fair caramel and bread malt backbone along with hints of vanilla. Very good strength.

Flavor is apricot, resinous hops, a bit of tropical fruit and citrus, decent caramel malt in the middle with a bit of sweetness and finishes with good bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily, a touch creamy, good carbonation.

A long-time want and a pretty darned good IPA overall, although more caramel malt than I generally care for in the style.

08-20-2011 01:47:40 | More by elgiacomo
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev -17.3%

Received in trade from GPHarris, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a slightly hazy deep amber color that would have been clear had I stopped the pour a nano second earlier. Frothy white head slowly dissipates to a cap and leaves moderate lacing in its wake. Smells yeasty, earthy and citrusy, pine and resin mixed with a fair amount of caramel. Taste is sweet caramel malt up front followed by an earthy piney resinous taste. Hints of citrus follow then a fairly dry finish that leaves a bitter hop bite on the palette. Medium body and carbonation level with a resinous bitter mouthfeel. I liked this one, but nothing about it knocked my socks off. I really wanted more hops in here. I got this bottle in trade and with no bottle dating I have no idea how fresh this sample is. Maybe one day I will get to try a version at the source.

08-20-2011 01:16:00 | More by johnnnniee
nrbw23

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours a dark, hazy orange color with a nice off white head. Head is gone pretty quick, becoming a thin layer of bubbles and leaves some very nice layered lacing.

S- Picking up quite a bit of tropical fruits here. A nice touch of pine and malts too.

T- Tropical fruits again are front and center. A nice back bone of malts to provide a bit of balance. A bit of pine and alcohol round every thing out. Very nice and awesome.

M- Medium in body and carbonation.

O- This is a very solid IPA. I really enjoyed this one. Thanks again Steve.

08-19-2011 10:50:27 | More by nrbw23
Gushue3

3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to Pecafaced for this REALLY big want in the N00B BIF round 5. Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A- Smaller white head that slowly turns foams with many bubbles. Very frothy with carbonation bubbles jetting toward the head. The body is a hazy copper amber with some lacing left around the glass

S- Sweet upfront with some nice grapefruit and pine in the nose, just what i like. Some nice malt is in there too which makes a nice smelling IPA

T- Sweeter than I originally expected. The malt is more noticeable on the palate than the hops. Some lighter citrus comes in toward the middle which turns to a medium bitterness on the finish which lingers a little bit.

M- About a medium mouthfeel with a similar carbonation.

O- Overall not too bad, but was expecting some more hops from this. I'm going to assume its an old bottle or has seen better days. Will definately give it another try in the future however.

08-17-2011 22:32:56 | More by Gushue3
Georgiabeer

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

An excellent IPA, and one that grows on me the longer I drink it. In fact, I drank through 2 six packs before reviewing one, because for me it was hard to nail down the flavors here, as they were changeable and fleeting, but oh so tasty. A nice pour, orange amber with a head that sticks around and leaves some lacing. Very citrusy with a nice bitterness throughout, but it's hard to place the particular citrus flavors and aromas. A bit of orange, grapefruit, and tangerine, and some carambola comes through for me as well. A veritable fruit salad here. There is a touch of woodiness and a little bit of a sour zing, but it all seems to belong. The malt is very well integrated and merely provides a sweet counterpoint to the fruit notes. Very smooth, and not chewy at all. At the finish there are some additional light notes of coconut that help add a little creaminess to the bitter undercurrent and fruity topnotes. A very nice package indeed- a great IPA/

08-17-2011 02:56:49 | More by Georgiabeer
ibbjamin

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

I traded for 5 12oz bottles of this with a friend that lives near the brewery. He doesn't know that much about beer, so the trade I sent him was certainly too generous, but it is what it is. I am reviewing on the last beer he sent me. I have been certainly less than impressed with it thus far.

Half inch off white head consistent of medium sized bubbles. Dissipates somewhat quickly leaving a ring of retention on the inner rim of the snifter. Very cloudy and deep orange in color. Some lacing.

Aroma is rich, sweet and creamy. Nose at first does not come off as too balanced, more of just a different, unique hop character. Some caramel malts and hints of booze add to its complexity.

Upon tasting, I realize the nose is more interesting than the taste for me. Just too balanced for my liking. The hops become muted and the caramel malt shows too much face. There is a rum booziness to it as well as some oak character as it was barrel aged or something. This would help explain the muted hops.

Nice creamy smooth mouthfeel with a medium full body. A bit light on the carbonation, yet it is still quite drinkable.

I had an IPA from 512 from Texas that was legit. This one is not and I wasn't expecting it to be. The best IPAs are from my backyard, I was hoping for something more unique in this trade but was a bit let down.

08-17-2011 01:00:34 | More by ibbjamin
DUBinMIA

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle. Beer is golden orange with white head that dissipates quickly but leaves decent lace.

Smell is like a almost like a complex Belgian ale.... Very dominate hop citrus floral and spicy notes at once... great!!! even some yeast and malt is noticeable.

Taste is good.. initial hop flavor is delicious. ends with a smooth malt flavor that i wasn't expecting. some yeast notes in the middle as well.

light to medium body with average to light carbonation.

Great IPA must try!!!

08-13-2011 22:24:09 | More by DUBinMIA
JWU

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my trusty mug.

A - dark gold, a little orange, with a thin bright white head. Leaves ok lacing down the glass. Almost transparent, but a hint of haze.

S- The best smelling IPA ever. I'm not kidding. Very bready and caramel like, the hops really hide in the smell, but you can tell they are there on the back end. I could smell this all night.

T- Taste really follows the smell. Bready/biscuity malts up front, a very defined caramel note for an IPA. Hops start to bite middle to end, and finish dry. The taste and smell on this is downright crave-able. That defined caramel note does however get a bit dominating for an IPA, but I'm really nit-picking.

M- A little rough in the mouth, light to medium feeling, tight carbonation, but almost feels astringent on the finish.

O- Certainly an upper tier IPA and likely top 5 I've ever had. I'd certainly seek this out. Ranks up with Victory HopDevil, Bells Two-Hearted, Southern Tier IPA, Great Divide Titan and Bear Republic Racer 5 on my list!

08-12-2011 21:51:16 | More by JWU
JohnQVD

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours with a thin head that dissipates after a couple of minutes. Medium carbonation, clear with a color not unlike aged bourbon, kind of a dark gold. Smell is malty and herbal, with a touch of brightness.

The taste is a bit maltier than I tend to think of IPAs but the beer is well-balanced, hoppy without being overwhelmingly so. If it was a little more hoppy and a little less malty, it would taste more like a double IPA than a regular one.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, bubbly and a little rough around the edges. Overall this is a great everyday drinker that improves even more in the brewery's aged versions.

08-07-2011 22:28:14 | More by JohnQVD
AgentMunky

3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. Stamp is quite faded, but might read: 042211. Bottled 22 April 2011?

A: Big creamy head. Some bubbles within. The beer is transparent in direct light, opaque on the table; brilliant yellow-orange and dull brown-yellow, respectively.

S: Fruity-sweet, but then with a really odd barnyard/lambic sharpness. I hope this isn't a bad bottle.

T: It is sharp, with a bit of sasionesque funkiness at the end, but otherwise tastes pretty darn good. So I'll assume it's supposed to taste like this. The maintaste is nice and grapefruity, with decent hop presence on the endtaste. The aftertaste is light and clean, with a strong dose of carbonation.

M: Malty and robust; substantial and spicy-sharp; carbonated.

O: Aside from the bizarre smell and endtaste, it's a good IPA. I'll drink another couple to be sure I didn't get an off batch -- maybe the date-stamp is a best by. Not really recommended.

08-07-2011 22:05:12 | More by AgentMunky
kwakwhore

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

I have been wanting to try this beer for sometime and finally got my hands on some while visiting FL.
Dark coppery pour with substantial lacing on the glass.
Aromas were understated with some citrusy scents and something feline(trying to be polite here) going on too.
Big juicy hop presence on the tongue with a lot of malt balance. Close to a ruby red grapefruit with lots of bitter and sweet going on. The flavors are big enough that I could call this a double IPA with no problem.
A bit of an alcohol burn up front detracts from the mouthfeel, but only a little. Overall a top notch IPA. I wish I was driving on this trip because I would love to bring a case of this home with me.

08-07-2011 18:08:27 | More by kwakwhore
brystmar

4.13/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: good amount of head for an IPA, strong retention, solid lace. Side note: I love the smooth/shiny-ness of Cigar City's labels -- gives them a uniquely polished look and feel. Fortunately, every beer of theirs I've tried is equally well-polished.

S: much more subdued than I expected. Floral hops with sweet malts; earthy. What's here is great, wish it were more pronounced.

T: great balance of malts and hops, among the best I've tasted in a single IPA. Sweetness up front gets pulled back by the hoppy backbone. Quite hoppy, but not overly bitter.

M: medium-bodied and creamy; relatively high amounts of carbonation (which I typically dislike), but it works really well in this brew.

D: if I liked IPAs more, I could session this one all day long. As it stands, I could easily throw back two bottles in a single sitting.

So I'm not an IPA guy in general, but this one is pretty darn good for a single IPA. Bought this 6pk for a party and would happily purchase it again for myself in the future.

08-07-2011 00:08:25 | More by brystmar
doughanson78

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -15%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to dimenhetfield for this one.

A: Copper/orange in color. Very hazy, can't see through at all. One finger, sorta tan head, decent retention and nice lacing.

S: Kind of a light aroma. Piney and citrus hops. A little pineapple, little grapefruit. Nice caramel malts.

T: Very sweet upfront. Caramel and toffee. A light piney bitterness through the middle finishing with a caramely balance.

M: Medium bodied. Pretty creamy. Light to medium carbonation.

O: Not as hoppy as I'd like but nice and balanced, leaning towards the sweet side.

08-06-2011 00:05:03 | More by doughanson78
merlin48

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to mntlover for the bottle. Pours a mostly clear, orange amber body with a three finger offwhite head. Excellent retention and lots of sticky and clumpy patch lacing.

Aaah! Huge citrusy aroma. Tangerines, red grapefruit, and mango. Floral notes of orange blossom underneath. Hints of toasted caramel suggest there will be some balance.

Creamy medium carbonation compliments a medium body.

Taste mirrors the aroma. Pink grapefruit, mango, and tangerines serve up a tasty citrusy wallop. Floral hints add interest. Spicy and peppery hops notes keep things on the bitter side as the caramel malt attempts to balance. Long bittery citrus lemon rind aftertaste.

Excellent IPA, especially if you like them citrus driven. Coming from Florida, what else would you expect from Cigar City.

08-05-2011 01:16:58 | More by merlin48
dcloeren

Thanks to JayAre46 for this bottle. Review from notes

Poured a cloudy bright orange with 1 finger of bubbly bright white head. Decent lacing.

Sweet tropical fruit hops but not as pungent as I would have liked it to be...

Taste follows the nose but with more of a distinct hop presence. Good tropical citrus taste with a very light hint of caramel

Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. I thought that the mouthfeel was the definite highlight of the beer

Overall it was a nice tropical tasting IPA. Very refreshing. Tough to not hold the hype train against it but I was very pleased with this beer and wish I had more

08-04-2011 14:14:25 | More by dcloeren
mdvatab

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into imperial pint glass.
Date on bottle says Jun 03 (hoping that's bottled-on date, not consume-by date)

Aroma: Orange and lemon citrus hop notes. Brown sugar sweetness. Light grapefruit appears as the beer warms.

Appearance: Two-finger persistent off-white collar settles to a pad of foam the lingers in the middle of the glass through to the last creamy sip. Light iced-tea colored body. Fantastic lacing.

Flavor: Hops and malt combine to an almost pumpkin pie spice-like flavor. Robust, but not overwhelming, bitterness. LOTS of spiciness from the hops followed by some grass notes. Bitterness doesn't hold on like a bulldog at the end like in some IPAs. Some medicinal notes also show up in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body & medium carbonation. Hops are not drying in this brew.

Overall: I really enjoyed Jai Alai. Very well balanced, while having one of the most unique hop and malt-derived IPA flavor profile out of most any of the ones I've tried. I'll definitely be getting my hands on some of this again when I'm in the Southeast.

08-04-2011 00:50:40 | More by mdvatab
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Big huge rocky seafoam head on a hazy orange brown body. Nice lace rings on the glass.

S- Heavy floral and citrus hops, stinky!

T- Lots of snappy pine sap and a pretty heavy caramel malt base. Floral hops come through as well, very very bitter.

M- Taken aback by the lingering bitterness... wow. This one's a doozy.

O- Good stuff, unique for sure. Don't think I've had an IPA that tastes like this one.

08-03-2011 22:31:11 | More by ShogoKawada
WrathsU

4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Very clear golden bronze color. Pours great finger head and really good head retention.

S - The aroma literally filled the room upon pour. Smells very citrusy and sweet. Oranges, grapefruit, and a floral bouqet.

T - Very bitter up front. Spicy hop tastes, not as much citrus as you'd expect from the nose. Floraly towards the end. Wish there was a bit more malt backbone to help balance the very bitter taste.

M - Smooth, well carbonated. Goes down very easily.

D - A great beer, could drink a ton of this any given night.

08-03-2011 20:00:30 | More by WrathsU
Mississipping

Mississippi

3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Pours a bronze-orange color with notable clarity.  A large white head sits on top and has decent retention and leaves behind a good amount of lacing.

S: Much less aromatic than I was hoping for.  Modest hoppiness providing slight floral and citrus notes, but pretty toned down.  Just a bit of a malty sweetness manifested in a sweet caramel aroma.  It's pleasant, but very subdued.

T: Tropical fruit (grapefruit and orange) are up front, but again, are somewhat subtle.  Pretty large malt profile providing a good amount of sweetness. Just a bit of pine resin to finish things off.  What is there is pleasant enough, but I was really hoping for a little more complexity.

M: Light bodied but slightly creamy with a good amount of carbonation.  Pretty drying finish.

D: Very drinkable and an enjoyable IPA, however, it's a little disappointing.  I really expected a bit more from CC based on the other beers that I've had from them, but maybe IPA aren't their thing.  I've got a couple bottles of the oak-aged version, so hopefully that will add a bit of the complexity that I think this one is lacking.

07-29-2011 19:42:58 | More by Mississipping
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle: Poured a hazy deep orangey color ale with a huge foamy head with great retention and some very good lacing. Aroma consists of citrus notes with loads of floral hoppy notes and a sweet malt base. Taste is a very nice mix between aromatic and floral hops with balanced bitterness and some citrus notes. Malt base is maybe a tad too sweet for my taste though very solid with no watery notes. Boyd is full with limited filtration and great carbonation. Very well brewed and something I could drink on a regular basis.

07-29-2011 18:02:01 | More by Phyl21ca
DearthVader

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

12 oz bottle poured to my Stone IPA glass.

Thanks for the chance with this one Alex!

Pours a clear copper with yellow around the edges. Fairly aggressive pour produced a 1 finger white head that only stayed around for about 30 seconds. Very minimal lacing is left.

Smell is very weak. Slight grapefruit and I pick up a smoky burnt wood smell. There's not much else to it. Can't smell any hops at all.

Taste is a big change from the smell. Nice citrus and grapefruit base that has that charred wood characteristic towards the back end. Not very aggressive with the hops, but a smooth, wet finish.

Fairly creamy. I'd like this in a bigger DIPA, but it wasn't great for the beer. The alcohol isn't noticeable and it is fairly drinkable, but just slightly too thick for my liking.

I'm glad I got to give this a shot. It was my first CC beer and I'm curious to try some more. I wouldn't mind trying this again, but I won't be seeking it out.

07-28-2011 06:07:04 | More by DearthVader
womencantsail

3.8/5  rDev -11%

Thanks to Trevor for this one.

A: The beer pours a clear golden orange color with a couple fingers of white head that clings to the glass and leaves a nice lace on the glass.

S: Decently perfumey with a nice floral note and a lot of orange zest, too. There is a light breadiness underneath the hops and a prevailing, though light, citrus note to it.

T: The flavor is pretty nice, better than the nose. Light pineapple with grapefruit and orange, and lots of orange zest. There might even be a bit of melon. Lightly malty with some bread and a light bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate carbonation.

O: Not the hugest fan of some of the variations of this beer, but this base version is actually decent.

07-28-2011 05:07:11 | More by womencantsail