Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
4.92/5  rDev +15.2%

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%

4.6/5  rDev +7.7%

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I really like this IPA and has my type of balance in the 70ibu range is where i find the best ones. Fruit forward and very tasty, hops are not dry at all.

Citrus flavors in beginning but subtle and excellent finish. This is one of my top 3 east coast IPA's

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

4.1/5  rDev -4%

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

I am generous on reviews at times but I have reserved the really high scores for outstanding beers. This one is one I have wanted to try for a long time and thanks to a fantastic trade I have acquired this one. I might have to keep this one hot on the pipeline! Jesus its good!

Look: Perfect color for an IPA in my opinion, they range from all over the place but this one sits on the darker side of that fence and I tend to like those better. This one is a reddish amber color with a bit of copper in there. Head remains pretty solid throughout the pour.

Smell: Sweet not overly so, you can detect some malts in there, but this beer is fantastic in the aroma. Nice tropical fruits, mango, papaya, guava, maybe some passionfruit in there as well. Its not as intense as the flavor will give up.

Flavor: Holy shit this is the best tasting IPA I have ever had no doubt. It blends everything I like in this style of beer. Its sweet but not overly so, its got a nice resinous quality to it, but its balanced by the malts, this is a hugely balanced beer. Its on the assertive side more than pseudosue or Zombie Dust, but then those are technically Pale Ales. This beer is not too bitter but bitter enough. Super enjoyable great mouthfeel, not sticky but not overly drying either. I want a case next time I go to the beach!

Overall: Thus far this is the best IPA I have ever had. No doubt. It is rated highly and for good reason. I have a few more CCB beer waiting for me, but those are a completely different style, but if this is indicative of what this brewery can do, I am happy to trade again for just about anything! This is truly an outstanding IPA!

3.5/5  rDev -18%