2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPAJai Alai IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pours copper in color with notes of citrus and tropical fruit in the aroma. Flavor has upfront citrus bitterness with a hint of caramel and citrus and tropical fruit hop notes in the finish.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Jai Alai IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,969 | Reviews: 1,016 | Show All Ratings:
JoeBloe

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have unconsciously passed this up on the shelves for way too long ! My first sip of this stuff got a 'WOW !" reaction for waking up my otherwise hop-numbed palate - I've recently gone thru many 6-packs with pleasure -
Pours that nice copper/gold color with a 1-1/2 finger fluffy white head - retention is good with nice lacing - smells of citrus and tropical fruit - the citrus/fruity hop flavor are the stand-out in this beer, with a nicely balanced malt finish - just the right amount of body and abv to make a few of these very enjoyable - feels 'fresh' -

* picked up a growler last night and was equally satisfied with the results

* I also like that the 6pk cans come with the full cover retainer rings, ala Heady Topper, keeps the top of the cans clean, and they're recyclable -

02-20-2014 13:13:55 | More by JoeBloe
Zaso

4.39/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a can into a tulip glass.

Appearance:
A cloudy, light copper color with a small, half-finger head to it. A little bit of noticeable sediment. Hard to tell what was left in the can.

Smell:
Nicely balanced. I get an assortment of some citrus and pine from the hops, while getting a small bit of roasted, toasty caramel on the head.

Taste:
A bold, but sweet malt taste that's countered with a bitter resin flavor from the hops immediately comes through. The malt stays with this one throughout and it finishes with a acidic, pungent hop flavor at the end. A mild bit of warmth from the alcohol on it's way down.

Mouthfeel:
Very typical of an Indian Pale Ale, maybe a little creamier from the malt if anything. Leaves the tongue dry.

Overall:
It's probably worth mentioning that this beer was about three weeks old. There's a lot of good flavors going on in this beer. The really sweet malt, most noticeably on the front, and the tangy, resin-like bitterness from the hops on the back. Not necessarily balanced as other world-class IPAs, but still very pleasant. I really like how the sweetness comes through right from the start. Overall, this is a really enjoyable brew that I could see myself having a few of. A significant step above the Racer 5s and Hop Devils because of it's malt character and fresh flavor, but not well balanced or diverse to hang with the world class Plinys or Headys. A great beer that I would drink often if I had better access to it.

02-20-2014 03:56:19 | More by Zaso
jaialai-untilidie

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I've tried many IPA's, and none so far have come close to touching jai alai.
the first IPA i've ever tried actually, jai alai got me started on craft beer in general.
wonderful flavors of grapefruit, mango, pine, so much complexity. with a great malt backbone behind it.
a must try.

02-18-2014 16:12:47 | More by jaialai-untilidie
1sophrosyne1

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Savored from a growler (Thank you Federal TapHouse in Harrisburg, PA!) in an IPA glass over 35 minutes.

The pour is an orange-dusted copper with a muted shine to match. It's full of rising carbonation that supports the persistence of a fluffy-creamy off white head that paints the glass with sheets of oil. Overlying lacing is pretty and nicely layered, leaving a few patches behind, as well.

The nose is where this glass of sunshine truly glows. It's like walking into the hop storage room of your favorite brewhouse. It's full of grapefruit and lime, papaya and mango, and also a large dose of earth, evergreen, and even oily petrol slopped over biscuits and softened cherries. There's a nice dank background that comes up as it warms, but doesn't overpower the complexity of all the other bright bouquet elements.

There's an early spicy buzz in the flavor that carries the tartness of lemons along. Then it goes to honied biscuits with a firm malt springboard for all the hops. And those blossoms bring grapefruit, mango and spruce and a nice earthy chew that allows a little bubble gum to pop up, and it comes without clash or complaint. Some spice shines through in the back half of each gulp, including a hint of clove that's nice. It's only the ending that leaves me wanting; comes up just a touch short, though the bitterness is right, I think the blame is to be laid with the mouthfeel.

In the mouth, it's downright sticky, particularly after it warms. Unfortunately, that doesn't lengthen out the flavor profile as I'd have hoped. The carbonation is marvelous up front--moderate to high with those bubbles. It's just a little angular when cold and a little too resin-heavy with warmth. The higher temp does allow spiciness to come into the aftertaste more. It certainly holds on so the earthy complexity of all those hops can work on your tongue and gutters. But something's just not matched up right. Perhaps its the ethanol flaming through, even though its (only) 7.5% might have hidden under all the hop sweets...

I'm thrilled for the recommendation to pick up this beer. It's lively and assertive, and simply fills your nose with joy even before the first gulp. The blend needs some smoothing over. But I love the trampoline shot up into my senses, and I'm going to seek out this high speed game again if given the chance!

Serving type: growler

02-17-2014 02:00:22 | More by 1sophrosyne1
darthvohn

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Tulip

Appearance: A hazy, copper with an orange tinge. A two finger thick luscious foam topped the beer's surface. It rescinded down to a thick ring with a sudsy cap. Generous lacing. Gorgeous.

Smell: I get a mix of citrus fruits - grapefruit, lime, sweet mandarin orange - and tropical notes - pineapple, papaya, mango - compounded with quite a bit of pine resin.

Taste: Sweet biscuit malts up front followed by resiny hops through to the finish. A slight pleasant bitterness leaves you wanting another taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, a bit of resin stickiness.

Overall: This one doesn't disappoint. I really dig how well the malt and hops are balanced in this offering. I've been wanting to try for some time and Pintofbrown surprised me with this one in our latest trade. Definitely recommend.

02-17-2014 01:20:07 | More by darthvohn
M_C_Hampton

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

A: poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass, darker orange amber with a large off white head that lingers leaving good lacing, hazy

S: earhy, dank, slight wood, pine hops, pungent over ripe fruit

T: fruity bubble gum type hops, pine, earthy, quite sweet, honey

M: heavier and sticky, nice carbonation

O: a nice earthy heavy IPA, East Coast flavors with a unique twist

02-15-2014 22:42:25 | More by M_C_Hampton
wcu80

4.73/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Along with Heady and Hop Drop n Roll, this beer is in a league of its own. So much going on. Mouthfeel is perfect; almost chewy. So many fruity, tropical flavors; citrus, pears, apricots. Super malty backbone that is unique and nearly perfect.

If I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it could easily be this one.

Outstanding.

02-13-2014 21:37:20 | More by wcu80
blindtiger24

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A: Bubbly, mostly white head. A hazy, light copper and orange hue. Carbonation is everywhere - in the head and small chains of active bubbles traveling up the glass and suspended in the beer. Some sediment floating in the beer as well.

S: Floral, orange citrus hops, biscuits, and strong pine resin.

T: Sweet, caramel, and malty biscuits up front. Sting of grapefruit and dank, earthy bitterness on the end.

M: Juicy mouthfeel that is more sweet at first, but bitterness clings on the tongue at the finish. Nice warming sensation on the back of the throat.

O: An easy drinking IPA that is juicy, slightly refreshing, but full of powerful flavors and aromas. A handsome looking beer from start to finish. One of my all time favorites.

02-11-2014 03:42:43 | More by blindtiger24
wogreen

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - golden bronze
S - floral, citrusy hops aroma. not overpowering but i get a hint of pine
T - very balanced smoothness on the hop profile
M - not overly effervescent
O - overall a strong IPA. more balanced than anything. no punch you in the mouth hops flavor, but very good

02-09-2014 22:36:31 | More by wogreen
Mdez

4.59/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this when I recently took a trip to Florida; bought a 6 of cans and was really surprised how good it was; a canned beer that really was noticably good. I drank one from the can and was very suprised and poured another into a glass and loved the way it looked and tasted. If this becomes a permanent presence in VA, I'll always have some in the fridge. If not, I'll always grab some when I'm down in Florida. It's nice when the rumors are true...

02-08-2014 23:26:58 | More by Mdez
rajendra82

4.43/5  rDev +4.2%

The body was orange-amber in color, clear, and gently carbonated; forming a two finger thick head that proved very durable. The first thing hit me as the can was opened was the tropical citrus smell, and it intensified upon pouring. Bringing the glass under the nose revealed a ton of grapefruit, mandarin orange, bitter orange, and a hint of papaya. The taste was very hoppy, revealing layers of grapefruit, pine, hay, and some butterscotch. The finish was spicy and earthy, and the body felt quite sticky. This straddled a line between a regular IPA and a DIPA, and should probably be considered a double. I am so glad I bought two sixpacks, as this would keep me happy for a while.

02-08-2014 05:19:30 | More by rajendra82
Franziskaner

Missouri

4.31/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deep amber with orange tint and a hazy look to it. Just a light touch of foam on top covers most of the top of the beer. Brussels lacing. The aroma is an intoxicating burst of citrus hops. I get orange and mango notes. The front of the palate is like biting into a grapefruit. Intensely fresh hop flavor assaults your palate. This is quickly followed by a good malt backbone. That hop fades slowly away and beckons further sips. The mouth is moderately carbonated and the hops definitely prick the tastebuds.

02-06-2014 02:52:18 | More by Franziskaner
deebo

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this a few of these and thought it was too bitter for my liking and I have it an overall rating of 3.25.
1 left of the 6 pack to give a proper review. Dated 12-26-13.
Poured into a pint glass this looks like an IPA with a copper color. Just a slight haze and three fingers of dense white head with an aggressive pour. Sticky.
Aroma is piney, resiny with some notes of grapefruit and slightly toasted cookie malt.
Taste isn't as bitter as was my first impression of this beer. The piney hops are strong. A long slightly bitter finish with a clean sweet malt taste. Highly carbonated with the alcohol completely hidden. Medium bodied. Overall impression is this is an ipa with lots of flavor-big on those sticky pine like hops with high carbonation, a sticky lace and a sweet malt bill. Well made ipa. I prefer a more fruity, tropical hop bite with less bitterness but can see why it's so popular.

02-04-2014 03:22:06 | More by deebo
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm finally going to go up against this "bad boy" beer, as I actually thought I was going to die before ever trying this beer. Haha, I almost feel like I just beat "death" by finally trying this. Ok, well here goes and holy crap JamesBell, you are the absolute man for picking this up and sending it to me.

On the bottom of the can, though a bit smudged it says: December 2nd, 2013.

Into a pint glass (also had one previously in one of those "can glasses" and nothing really showed, haha, typical non-standard glass) anyways, sorry for my blathering:

A: somewhat hazy though clear light golden amber/somewhat light yellow and clear colored body; super small carbonation is seen rising at an adequate pace; the head - well holy moley dude this thing absolutely defines "rockiness" in the head and how it sustains itself at least to me is quite a show (practically never seen anything like this)

S: well, this takes a somewhat kinda downfall here, and I realize this is an AIPA that I had after almost 2 months, ok, all I have to say is gee weez - where the heck did the caramel come from and why is it displacing so much of the bitter hops that I typically enjoy in an AIPA (this is why I did this now and not after I got through the entire 6 pack)

T: super sweet through the caramel malts, some light hop presence; the aftertaste is somewhat "swarmy" through the caramel malts trying desperately to combine with a bitter "hoppiness," hmmm... did I have this too old? However, I will say there is a nice dry finish

M: so this one sits about a sort of a medium body of sorts, and it leaves a super dry feel coating the mouth and tongue all around

O: uh....in my opinion, I think I need to try this fresher, hmmmm...for an AIPA, I'm just getting too much of the malty side of this beer and not enough bitter hops of an AIPA

02-02-2014 07:11:23 | More by BeerKangaroo
T-34-85

4.44/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a can of Jai Alai from the Halftime Beverage down in Mamaroneck, NY while down from Upstate NY on business. I have been wanting to try this beer for some time now.

A: Pours a clear copper color with minimal head into a tulip glass. A ring lacing persists in the glass throughout consumption.

S: Has a sweet and muddled hoppy aroma.

T: Has a nice sweetness level with hoppy flavor that strikes the back of my tongue with a similarity to Heady Topper (don't judge me for my blasphemy). This is a great tasting IPA for my money. Very impressed.

M: Good carbonation level to compliment the flavor.

Overall: I think this is a great beer, and well worth the anticipation. I honestly feel like if The Alchemist made a smaller IPA to compliment their Heady Topper DIPA (a lighter version), this would be it, or something very similar. In a recent trip through New England, I was fortune to pick up a case of the Heady, and thus I am impressed by the pleasant similarity here. Great Beer.

01-30-2014 02:12:49 | More by T-34-85
jdhowe

4.03/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes. 22 July 2013 can enjoyed on 8 August 2013.

A: Pours a lightly hazy deep golden amber with 1/2 finger of bubbly, off-white head. Head dissipates to ring. Some lacing down side of glass.

S: Wave of citrus alongside fresh, dank hoppiness. Grapefruit, pineapple fruit character. Clean malty sweetness.

T/M: Clean and crisp, dank fresh hops and citrusy flavors. Wheaty/bready malt sweetness mid-sip leads into lingering hop bitterness on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation -- quite nice.

O: Good, but not great. It may well be the best IPA made in FL, but I don't see myself hunting this one down aggressively in the future. That said, I'd be happy to drink it if it's what I had in my backyard, although there are some widely available IPAs I'd definitely take over it.

01-29-2014 10:35:50 | More by jdhowe
BSK_ONE

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured can into a .5 liter glass. Dark golden, copper color with 1 finger off white head with considerable lacing. Hangs around until the end.
S: Unlike almost all the other reviews that I've read, I don't smell citrus as the dominating scent. For me, it is vanilla, oaky, bourbon. Very nice.
T: Smooth vanilla taste with hints of bourbon.
M: Very nice overall mouthfeel. Bitterness is dominant as you would expect, but 4 parts of the tongue are represented evenly.
O: Got a 4 pack from my in-laws from a trip they took down to Clearwater. They raved about the brewery and how much I would love it with its selection and shuffleboard table. Really enjoyed this beer, and look forward to trying more from Cigar City in the future,

01-28-2014 01:16:36 | More by BSK_ONE
guityler83

Wisconsin

4.61/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: poured from the can into a teku glass. The beer built a soapy looking off white head just a hair over 2 fingers tall. Great retention on the foam, as it fell a nice spider web lacing was left on the side of the glass. The beer is a murky dark copper to almost a dull brown color. Little bits of what I assume are hop particles are floating in the bottom, otherwise a very clowdy beer.

S: Huge hop aroma, full of citrus (orange, grapefruit, lemon rind) and fresh pine needles over a full dank undertone. (I'm guessing columbus heavy?) Very nice an pungent. Malty nose is next to zero detected with all those hop aromas filling your nostrils. No alcohol detected and a clean fermentation character, no diacityl or DMS.

T: Solid bitterness that comes off very smooth and refreshing, full of the pine and grapefruit citrus flavors from the aroma. No bitting harshness from the hops just a full round flavor and bitterness. The middle comes through with a touch of toasty, bread crust malt flavor. Hop flavor evolves in the middle also, getting more ripened fruit and tropical vibe. The finish is very clean and crisp.

M: Body is moderate to low, not super dry like a lot of west coast IPAs but enough to support the amount of hops. Carbonation is moderate and there is an interesting mouth drying sensation left on the pallet after an oily resin fades away.

O: Big thanks to Eric15 for this extra. Great aroma, nice bitterness and a supporting malt backbone, exactly what I want in an IPA. Cheers!

01-27-2014 00:21:34 | More by guityler83
BierJager89

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper color with the opacity of honey, some sediment, and a big fluffy eggshell white head leaving thin rings of lace as it goes down.

S: Nose is loaded with tropical fruits, mango, papaya, passionfruit, grapefruit peel, lemon and grass in the nose.

T: Taste starts off malty, and weaves from malt to citrus to malt to tropical fruit to malt and everywhere in between. Delicious.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: Absolutely delicious, and I wish I could try some of the fruit infused versions. That said, I'd DEFINITELY recommend this over the humidor version.

01-24-2014 05:25:12 | More by BierJager89
ET-12345

3.95/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Beer was canned ~2 months ago.

Pours a copper color with white head.

Floral citrus nose

Lemony citrus flavor up front with caramel malt notes and fruitiness at the finish. Malt and fruitiness is balanced well by a "soft" bitterness.

Refreshing for a 7.5% beer.

01-24-2014 01:05:02 | More by ET-12345
secondtooth

Indiana

4.48/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours from the can a murky amber, with a prodigious head of off-white suds. Heavy-duty, thick, and ornate lacing. Wow.

Nose is delicious and seemingly fresh floral and citrus hops. Yum.

Taste is a rich and heavy onslaught of hoppy goodness, yet with a nicely-balanced malt profile to set it all off. Drinks very smoothly, too.

This is a superb, top-tier IPA that I hope to encounter again if it becomes available in my area someday (crossed fingers)!

01-22-2014 20:41:05 | More by secondtooth
57md

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a copper color with two fingers of white head. The head enjoyed some decent retention and left nice lacing behind. The nose has notes of piney hops. The blend of malt and hops is quite tasty. The finish is appropriately bitter.

I love that such a high quality IPA is available in cans - makes for a tasty tailgate.

01-22-2014 02:15:22 | More by 57md
MarcWP

Arizona

4.15/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into Sam Adams glass.

Appearance is slightly hazy light orange with big fluffy cream colored head that doesn't plan on going anywhere.

Aroma is big citrus fruit, orange, tangelo, pineapple juice, kiwi, floral, and sweet bread.

The palate is more of the same, with orange juice, kiwi, lemon peel, sweet biscuit, dried herbs, and a pepperiness not present in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium with a touch of silkiness in the middle palate and an astringent drying bitterness towards the back.

Overall a tasty IPA that has nothing offensive and is really well balanced mid palate with a touch much spiciness on the finish.

01-19-2014 22:03:16 | More by MarcWP
vfgccp

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Nice tangerine orange body. Light haze. Great retention and ok lace on a creamy off-white head.

S - Soft grapefruit, lemon, bright wood, touch of cilantro, brown breads.

T - Creamy smooth, malt forward opening with caramel, bread crust, and brown sugar. Sharp woody and herbal bitters meet the sweetness in the middle of the profile. Bitter sweet orange and grapefruit citrus linger through the finish.

M - Full body and shockingly smooth for an IPA.

O - A solid single IPA on the sweeter side of the style.

01-19-2014 21:49:58 | More by vfgccp
PicoPapa

Connecticut

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to Moyman for this one.

12oz can. Pours a hazy copper color with a 1/4 inch of head. Some lacing. The aroma is rich tropical fruits. Mango, guava, papaya. Sweet orange and grapefruit. The taste mirrors the aroma. More of those tropical fruit flavors. Juicy. Some floral bitterness as well as a fair amount of malts. Bitter tropical fruits at the finish with some flowery hop aftertaste. Great amount of bitter hops throughout. Medium bodied. Overall, fantastic IPA I would love to have again.

01-19-2014 01:42:45 | More by PicoPapa