Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

Ratings: 881 | Reviews: 383
Reviews by gunnerman:
4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a snifter glass, pours a hazy orange color with a foamy head that leaves a bit of lace on the glass. Smell of funk, mangos, citrus, guava and pear. Taste is spot on for this style, nice refreshing blast of fruit with hints of pear, banana, pine and guava. Alcohol not detected in the taste but as it warms is detected in the nose. Overall a good offering from Cigar City Brewing and one that I would drink again.

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to rynosf23 for this one - split five ways at a recent tasting. Burnt sunburst would be the best way to describe the color of Guava Grove - almost one-hundred percent opaque, very volatile, and producing a heavy, foamy, off-white head with very good retention and semi-decent lacing. I like how this one is looking.

The aroma is full of a sweet and bitter mix of fruit, much of which must be guava. I've never had a real guava, I've only had guava-flavored things. I am picking up some of that guava smell, but it's nowhere near as powerful as I would hope, expect, or like. There's actually an intense pungency that sort of stings the nostrils, not sure if it's a bitterness or what. It's not bad, it's just... different. Some pears and mangoes make up for the remainder of the aroma profile. Not much in terms of malt here - maybe a little bit of added sweetness, but nothing extraordinarily standing out. A light grassiness hits on the tail end as the fruits fade to black.

I'm immediately met with a sharp carbonation upon taking the first sip. Some light spices; clove, coriander, maybe orange peel - much akin to a Belgian style ale - followed up by a light guava flavor. The fruitiness of the guava is very pleasing, however it seems to "come and go" very quickly - it hits your taste buds hard, then it fades away almost instantly. Upon fading out, heavy-ass barnyard flavors hit center stage; wet cork, oak, damp cellar, musky - those are certainly the best descriptors. Upon tasting those, I finally remember that this is a saison - otherwise, it could pass for any old fruit beer. The aftertaste is also dominated by the funk, perhaps with just a tiny bit of fruity flavors and malty sweetness to couple with. Medium bodied with a heavy dose of carbonation and a reasonably dry finish.

I had high hopes for this one - I like CCB and I like guava-flavored things. I also like saisons. So this is a win-win-win, right? Well, perhaps it didn't quite live up to my godly expectations, but it was still a damn good beer. I enjoyed the saison and funk flavors that come through and pound hard from middle to end - but my main complaint is that the guava (and fruit in general) was too muted, both in the aroma and the taste. Still very enjoyable - very solid saison.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Review is written from notes taken on 7-10-11.

Guava Grove emerges from the bottle with a huge tan head atop a golden-amber brew. Beautiful, thin, spindly carbonation bubbles streak up my snifter. The head retains like crazy and the lacing is frothy and sticky.

Holy sour wildness! The smell really highlights the Belgian yeast... I swear that it is a wild strain. All sorts of citrus aromas also reside in the bouquet, heavy on the lime and lemon. Also, I smell lots of guava, Granny Smith apple, sweet tarts, and Pinot Grigio. It really is a mouthwatering scent.

The taste is very pleasantly fruity and dry. There are a lot of citric acid notes that compete for my palate's attention against the sweet, full guava. The acidic nature wins out, but the full guava gives it a good shot. This is a really, really tart beer. I like how the Belgian yeast plays off of the guava. An ever-so-slight vinegar tastes drops the score just a bit.

The mouthfeel is refreshingly dry with quite the tart nip. A fleeting moment of a coating, cloying feel hits my palate before being overcome by the acidic tartness. A sizzling sourness bombards all points on my palate.

I'm really not sure why this isn't called a wild ale. The sour punch from the combination of the yeast and guava is quite nice, but definitely does not taste much like other Saisons I have had. Also, there is just a slight vinegar presence in the taste. Overall, quite enjoyable.

4.7/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: This beer just glows with an orange tinted, deep good with a slight haze and obvious effervescent. The cream off-white head just lasts and last; having about two finger from a slightly aggressive pour and leaving lacing on the glass.

S: A heady mix of sour, acidic tart notes and a mild melon type fruitiness and some orange and the guava making themself know as it warms. The soft pils malt is there at moderate a level and like most good saison but with a lighter peppery spiciness than average. I can't get much past the sour, slightly brett funk but I don't care, leave me here I'll be fine. Sort of a fruity, spicy Berliner Weisse.

T: Wow, that a sharp fruity attack at the first sip and I'm loving it. The fruit is again melony and orange with a high tart sourness backed by some tropic fruit. Not much hops flavor to speak of but a decent bitterness with the balance being sour. There is a touch of pils malt sweetness but over all dry from start to finish with a linger bitter and sour flavor. There is a bit of pepper in there reflecting the style but who cares this is sour, tart heaven.

M: Light bodied with a high carbonation. There is a light dryness almost CO2 astringency prickle.

O: An outstanding very sour beer with enough fruitiness and spiciness to call it a saison base. This is a must have beer for fans of sours I just wish it wasn't so hard to find in Upstate NY.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #45 (Oct 2010):

Tartness came at our noses right when the cap was popped. Hazed orange amber with some light sudsy action. Big, fruity, tart aroma with a quick pull of malt in the back. Modest smoothness, was expecting crispness. Tartness wants to put the boot to the throat, but pulls back quick enough to unveil a unqiue fruitiness ... the guava jumps up and does a crazy wave at the palate with both hands. Malt and yeast clutch each other with a nutty, earthy, lovely mess. Alcohol warmth in the back slowly grows in the dry finish. Some controlled chaos that grew on us.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Pours into my glass a somewhat hazy orange with a touch of pink as well. Small white head forms and then falls to a ring above the brew with a few bubbles. Aromas of tropical fruit, guava and spice upfront. Fresh Belgian yeast tones with a touch of tart funk. Really nice and I like the bright guava aroma.

First sip brings a lot of fruitiness upfront with lemon, banana and plenty of bright guava. Spiciness weaves in with vibrant Belgian yeast along with a touch of tart, earthy funk. Creamy and smooth finish with lingering guava and spice aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light with a creaminess imparted from the carbonation. Really enjoyable and refreshing as well. Well, this is just a damn fine beer and I would gladly drink this again. Cigar City continues to impress me. Well worth seeking out!

4.15/5  rDev +4%

My first beer with guava. As a kid, I used to eat a lot of guava jelly on toast. I've enjoyed a lot of Cigar City brews on my trip to Tampa, and thought "Why not?"
In a snifter the beer was a hazy amber color with a huge tan head and a bit of lace.
One sniff and I was transported back to my youth. Guava predominated, some orange. Earthy, peppery spice.
Great taste, just not quite what the aroma promised. Guava, citrus, clove.
Nice and crisp, good finish.
Drinkable in the sense of wanting one again. Just not immediately.

4.23/5  rDev +6%

A - Pours clear copper with three fingers of off-white head. Head has good retention but only leaves scant lacing.

S - Very tart aroma, but also quite a bit of fruit. Can't say I eat much guava, but I'm assuming that is the main fruit aroma I am picking up. Also a bit of apple and banana. Slight amounts of earthy funk.

T - Tart on the tongue, but very nice. After the tartness fades, quite a bit of fruit comes through, similar to the smell. I don't get much of a saison taste, though there is some nice yeast presence on the finish. Regardless, it is pretty tasty.

M - Relatively light mouthfeel with with an earthy dry finish.

O - I tried reading through the forums, as I remember some discussion of whether this was intentionally sour. I bought this last summer, but don't see a bottle date, so no idea what batch it is. I wouldn't call this a saison, but whatever it is, I really enjoyed it.Hope the tartness isn't absent in current batches.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Bottle pours into a goblet a cloudy golden orange body with a tall offwhite head. Nice spiderweb lacing.

Aroma is dominated by fruity sweet guava. Tart citrusy notes and a hint of dusty yeast underneath.

Mouthfeel is tart and surprisingly dry. Medium body with prickly carbonation.

Taste is initially dry, with a lemony tartness. Almost geuze-like at the first two sips but it quickly mellows with the tropical guava notes coming on strong. Yeast is apparent but unobtrusive. Alcohol is cleverly concealed. Freshly ground white peppercorn notes add a nice complexity. Crabapple hints appear near the finish. There is an interesting acidic background presence that is suggestive of a Berliner-weisse as some other reviewers have noted. Almost has a lambic aftertaste.

Wow! This is one interesting saison with a lot of funky character. More like a wild ale than a saison for the most part but very tasty and agreeable. Would love to have a few of these on hand. Thanks to mntlover for the opportunity to enjoy this bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Large bottle, $11.99 @ DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY.

A- Pours clouded brownish apricot amber, loose medium tan head, goes to a thick film and leaves thick rolls of lacing.

S- Bright notes of sweet fruit juice, hints of the sour that awaits the tongue.

T- Waves of sweet tropical fruit juice, juxtaposed with better then moderate shards of sour and super musty funk...toss in a stinky cheese chord. Complex, intense, bright and bracing funked up Saison. Thoroughly interesting and highly enjoyable stuff.

M- Biting, bracing on the tongue and mouth. Prickly- but I like it

D- I'm gonna by a few more bottles of this one and that the best endorsement I can give. Great creation in brewing by Cigar City.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to djrn for sending this bottle my way.

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a large white head. The aroma is classic saison, with some strong biscuit malt notes. There is also quite a bit of tartness, lemon and light funk. The flavor is similar. The biscuit and toffee malt go very well with the wheat and a little bit of tartness. The light acidic notes work very well and add to the beer's drinkability. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Glad I got to try this one.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

thanks to merc7186 for grabbing a bottle of this for me.

750ml capped bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

off the pour, enormous head, lots of carbonation. fluffy white head, tons of big bubbles rushing to the top. the big head lasts the whole glass, great retention. some nice lacing as well. cloudy/ murky burnt orange, deep golden color.

big horsey, barnyard funk is most dominant in the nose, definitely some brett at play. a little bit of lemon grass and sour pie cherries. its hard to get much else with all that funk dominating.

again the barnyard, horsey funk brett flavors are big. also some sour cherries, lemongrass and a bit of tropical fruits and wet wood. im not really tasting any distinct guava in this, seems to be lost by all the funk. finishes pretty tart with some lingering sourness.

definitely overcarbinated, especially at first. also, this has kind of an odd creamy, syrupy feel at times, ive noticed this in other belgians that use the french saison strain.

im not sure if the brett was intentional or not, but it makes for a pretty decent saison despite the fact that any hint of guava is pretty much non exsistant. however, this could be an older bottle. im probably not going to seek this out again, but id be interested in trying its counterparts.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Poured from the 750 (infected batch) into a Lost Abbey glass.

A- This beer has a really appealing look to it. I admit I'm not a saison fan, so the deep orange glow this beer has is far preferable to the light yellow or golden wheat look most saisons have.

S- The smell is sour, a little dirty, a little fruity. one of the better characteristics of the beer.

T- The taste is pretty tart, reminiscent of the Lips of Faith Le Terroir, which I enjoy. Though the carbonation may have something to do with how much it reminds me of Le Terroir. The fruit is awfully subtle, it reminds me more of moldy cheese than Guava.

M- Over carbonated. period. At first pour, the beer's mouthfeel is more of a champagne than a beer. After much swirling it becomes a but more palatable.

O- I like this beer, but it's nothing that I'd freak out over. Of course, i'm not much of a saison lover, though I do enjoy sours as a whole. I'd probably take Le Terroir of this beer 7 out of 10 times and take this the other 3 times just for a change. One of the better saisons for me.

4.55/5  rDev +14%

100th review on BA ---big thanks to canjeeps for yet another amazing brew.

Pours a hazy burnt orange with a very active bubbling off white head. Champagne like fizz for sure. Lightly sticky lacing that lingers about.

Smells tart and fruity. A little acidic and almost cactus like in a way.

Tastes are funky right off the bat. The promised bananas and green apple skins come out with the guava flavor lurking lightly in the background. The alcohol shows up in the medium bodied mouthfeel just a bit. Lots of carbonation fit this perfectly and lead you to nice lingering dry finish with a lasting lemon citrus flavor.

Overall is amazing! My first Cigar City beer and I'm really looking forward to seeking out more of their beers.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle shared by pghlee - thanks!

Pours a light copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of guava with hints of pineapple and not quite ripe citrus fruits.

Tastes very good. Pale malt flavors serve as the backbone for loads of sweet and slightly sour fruits - guava, mango, pineapple, and orange. Light hop flavors contribute to a mildly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have a few more.

Overall this was very interesting and I'll certainly be paying attention to what CCB brews up in the future. Recommended.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

Split a bottle of this with my wife

A - Amber colored beer with about a finger of head. Left nice lacing on glass.

S - Definitely smell the fruit in this one. Green apple guava with just a little funkiness.

T - Really liked the taste of this one. Sweet with a slight tartness. Taste reminds me of a wild ale but not sour enough. Nice clean finish. Perfect for summer.

M - Body was medium to light with good carbonation.

O - Liked this beer a lot and hope to get another bottle in the future.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Brown bomber poiured into a pint glass.

A glowing golden pour with white cap and not much carbonation action. Fairly opaque.
Nose is sour, saison-like, with a lot of guava mixed with hints of citrus in the form of broiled grapefruit.
Palate brings tons of guava, tart bitter grapefruit, and hints of belgian-ale spices. It is a moderate body that picks up carbonation in the back. Alcohol comes through in the end and warms the belly.

Not my favorite style, but this is a great take on the style. Perfect for South Florida.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Many thanks to RomaniIteDomum for this one, the crux of my bounty from a good trade and by no means a disappointment.

What pours into my glass is a deep brew the color of burnished copper with a thick, dense, firm head that stays around for a long time, remains strong, and leaves moderate lacing behind.
Guava is most noticeable in the aroma, and it's neither too strong nor too sweet. It's simply pure guava, complimented by an earthy slight but unoffensive funk I hear from trustworthy sources is ( like) brett, which also contributes a palatable sourness. There's a subtly sweet tartness with a note of yeast as well.
There are lots of complexities on the tongue. Regardless, the guava is the prominent flavor. There's a great balance of flavors as a not unpleasant sourness gives way to something tart then something just lightly sweet and some yeast and malt, and all the way a grassy and earthy sort of flavor lingers.
The mouthfeel is great. Carbonation is moderate and adds a crisp bite, but there's a great balancing smoothness that makes for a rich feel in a medium body.
This is a tasty brew and an interesting foray into brewing. It's simply a very good saison with guava.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a strange brew I had a year ago and it was alright then, then I had it on cask/draft, then I just bought more. The is the 4th time I had this beer, it grows on me. While I hate the fact its a fruit /saison cross, I have to admit now I love this beer.

A: I poured at 45f into a tulip. Light orange to yellow bright copper color with a solid 1" pale off white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

S: is very good, nice fruit and malt, yeast hits you first. I be honest I got a Guava fruit to taste and either my nose is whacked or the process of fermentation changes the flavors, anyway I get orange, tart pineapple and mango more than I get guava, but if they say its got guava the who am i to disagree. Bottom line it smells fantastic, a great summer beer, not that I am into that stuff but it works.

T: Lots of malt, yeast, fruit of various types, its a complex blend. Very tart at first and finished sweet, nice kick from the booze. Mild kick for the hops. Not to bitter. Very lanced beer.
Not to style IMHO, but it grows on yea, the more I dink the more I like it. almost need a new style fruit sasion, LOL. I kid.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

D: Simply OUTSTANDING beer, more please..

Overall this is another great beer form the master of Tampa, CCB, i salute you guys.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

3.83/5  rDev -4%

wow...i really don't know what to say here...and i don't think i've ever had a beer that i can't figure out...its kinda like pee-wee herman....you just don't know what to make of it!!!

appearance is nice a dark dark orange or brown in color....with a nice little head....and ok lacing....

smell...now here is where it gets tricky....smells like vinegar...but if you really smell into it...tropical fruits...but not banana none at all!....maybe grapes too...

taste is almost way different than the smell....i get a lot of grape..cheap wine taste....and on the back end there is this dry....funky thing going on....really odd....

the mouth feel is very dry....this is the only thing thats true to style withe the saison....

not very drinkable....one glass will do you...but i gotta drink this whole bottle by myself....

i don't know what this beer is, or where it fits...but i don't really feel like it falls into the category of saison!!

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy golden/orange color with a massive foamy head that lasts for a very long time leaving behind some nice lacing.

S: A little bit of guava, some orange zest, a good bit of spice, mostly pepper and a little coriander.

T: Taste is similar to the aroma with some guava and spice. There is a little bit of white grape.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation, a little prickly. No sign of 8% on this one. Dry finish.

O: A good beer. I think I prefer the Groove because it is a little more intense in terms of the guava. Would have no problem drinking this one again though, and could see introducing people that are newer to beer to this one.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

Received in my last trade, thanks Rich! Poured from a 750ml into a NB globe. Also my first try at a Saison.

A - A nice gentle pour produced a booming three fingers worth of foamy white head. The beer itself is a nice orange color with a bit of haze. Not a ton of lace, but a nice overall look.

S - A lot of fruits in the nose. I'm getting mostly some green apple and apricot. A nice yeast profile in the aroma as well as a bit of clove.

T - A nice balance of tart and sweetness makes for a really pleasing taste. The guava makes for a very unique flavor. The yeast does a nice job pulling everything together as well.

M - Medium bodied with medium/high carbonation.

O - A good first Saison for me, very interesting and unique flavor that I will aboslutely be revisiting in the future.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Popped the cap on a 750ml with barely a whisper of carbonation. A nice pour into my DFH snifter a nice looking beer.

A- A deep straw color with a 1/2" of head leaving a tacky off color lacing down the glass

S-Smells like a saison.A lot of Belgian yeast, some clove, I suppose a bit boozy, a little hot to me.

T-Somewhat bready and acidic. I'm guessing the acidity is guava, not really tasting like a traditional saison.

M- seems light given the style

D-Very nice, it goes down pretty easy

4.43/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to both Jw347 and Beerlando for the bottles.

Pours a very attractive mury peachy orange haze with a huge and quite formidable white cualiflower head that lingers extaordinarily well and leaves great lacing. Aside from the color, this is a perfect appearance for a saison.

Nose is very complex. Horse blanket barn funk, grass, and belgian yeast is mixed with a subtle but noticeable guava hint. Very interesting.

Taste is quite nice. A very complex and excellent saison. The guava is nice and subtle, no additional sweetness whatsoever. I would say the guava is actually more prominent in the nose, but it is here in the taste, and gets a little more noticeable as it warms, but definitely still an accent and not a central part of the proifle, which i actually prefer in this particular case (at least i think i do, haha). The saison profile is full of belgian yeast and grassy funk. The finish is nice and dry with an ever so slight tartness, certainly not funky in a sour way, just a slept in the barn in a bail of dry grass kind of way. That being said i'd be willing do bet there is a small dose of bugs in this beer. The finish lingers with good funkiness, and some guava in the background.

Mouthfeel is great. Slightly overcarbonated as most fine saisons are, the viscosity is ideal as well, sessionable yet substantial. The dryness on the finish is perfect.

Drinkability is damn solid for the abv. No alcohol heat until a small little warmth in the belly.

Overall i am very impressed with this saison. I had it about three weeks ago for the first time and liked it, and this full bottle has not only confirmed my opinion, but improved it. This is a very complex and very interesting beer. The color is a little off, but who gives a shit? And this is not a clone of your dupont or fantome, but its a very nice and very unique take on the style. I am excited to have a bottle of this to cellar, as i think it will develop well for a little while. Excellent beer, and a great addition to cigar city's lineup. Highly reccomended.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Very unique. Guava,citrus, pear, pomegrant, passion fruit, with lots of hops to carry on drinkability. Strong bitterness than sweet. In fact, could have used more sweetness. Cloudy grapefruit colour, lacey. A full mouthfeel.Worth trying and I wonder how this will taste aged.Funky aroma.
Bottle from Whole Foods Tampa.

Guava Grove Saison from Cigar City Brewing