Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
Ratings: 881 | Reviews: 383
4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

A wonderful concoction from a innovative brewery...

4.87/5  rDev +22.1%

GABF 2014. First Cigar City I ever had. They have it figured out!

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

x x x x x

3.62/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trader tells me this is an 09 bottle "back when it used to be good."

A- Hazy honey, with 1/4 finger white cloud head. Very low retention.

S- Best category here. Smells of some passionfruit, not sure if I can pinpoint it to guava considering I live in Colorado. The "malt" beverage follows... ugh. Not a fan of malt beverage.

T- That being said; the passionfruit was the best thing to add to this malt beverage base. I couldn't imagine not drainpour w/o guava. It has the traditional malt beverage taste.

M- A bit much carb for me; kinda harsh. Kinda creamy, kinda smooth. Nothing exceptional.

O- If I had another, I would find someone who likes the style and give it to them.

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

A phenomenally bubbly rush of snappy straw colored soapy head. Cloudy orange-red brew. Not overly appetizing. Lacing is weak.

Tart, lemon-lime, horsey aroma, clove. Strong. Of course, Guava too. Slightly too much funk.

Nicely bitter and smooth. Much more rounded than the appearance shows. Heavy effervescents. Sweetness is spot on and translates fruit nicely. Lots of dry, earthy, ripe, bitter, guava, clove, spice, and smooth light dry sour factor. Sourness is not over the top it's greatly dulled by heavy bitter bite.

A very unique beer. It's close to what I thought it would be and it didn't let me down. A nice risky take by CCB. Solid and worthy. I wouldn't give up much in trade, but still worthy.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

The beer pours an orange-amber color with a large white head. The aroma is classic saison, with some strong biscuit malt notes. There is also quite a bit of tartness, lemon and light funk. The flavor is similar. The biscuit and toffee malt go very well with the wheat and a little bit of tartness. The light acidic notes work very well and add to the beer’s drinkability. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.54/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bought a bottle @ Total Wine in Port Orange over the Fourth.

A-Nice deep orange juice color with small bubbly head. The beer itself definitely resembles what a Saison typically looks like. Would have liked a fluffier head.

S- There is a strong punch of grapefruit, guava and other tropical fruits. There is also a noticeable aroma of the yeast. Its almost (to me) like smelling an American Wile ale. Citrusy, acidic, and funky-I like it!

T- The taste is quite unique. Let me say that this isn't like any Saison I've ever had before. This beer does have the faint outline of a typical Saison- crispy, yeasty, touch of spice, and it's certainly refreshing. BUT the guava adds a complicated, overpowering flavor and aroma that you absolutely cannot get away from. The tartness dominates from start to finish.

M- Relatively medium body with high carbonation. A little too much carbonation for the style.

O- I don't really know how I feel about this beer. I honestly think Cigar City calling this a Saison really lowered the overall score. I was expecting a Saison with guava, but instead got GUAVA with Saison. Call me old school, but I prefer a traditional Saison.

Still LOVE you Cigar City!!!

2.44/5  rDev -38.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint chalice.

A: Slightly hazy, light amber color with one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass and a lopsided stream of bubbles rise in the column.

S: Tropical fruit and umami make for teriyaki sauce. Nail polish remover is also present. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with bright mixed (tropical/stone) fruit and tartness usually associated with Flanders-style yeast. Acetaldehyde and meaty aromatic malt combine for even more oddness in the middle before the cleaner and drier finish. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, acidic and slightly syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although fruity, the guava component is far surpassed in degree of influence by the characterful but confused yeast and other fermenters. It comes across as the sort of sour that makes one wonder if they meant for this to happen. Challenging even in small doses, it is difficult to imagine working all the way though a pub-style serving of this misguided beer.

4.01/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From a trade (thanks to rynosf32 )

Poured a 750ml bottled 11/2012 into snifter an orange sunburst color with a nice big 2 inch frothy head.

Aroma is great-orange, tropical fruit, guava, creamy

Mouthfeel- very carbonated as would be expected with a a saison

Taste-fruit hits you at first but then turns a little sour

Overall - A great Saison that I'd buy again, but not sure I would trade for it.

4.01/5  rDev +0.5%

I received this bottle in a trade with 67couple. Thanks Jon! Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

A – Pours a beautiful reddish-orange, a hue that is more common in sunsets than beer. A crackling head immediately erupts, only to fizzle away within the minute. Lots of quick moving bottles shoot around the glass. Lacing is nonexistant.

S – A definite Belgian character, with some clove and banana notes. A lot of tartness with a green apple acidity. A nice spiciness.

T – Oh man, this is nicely complex. A great sour character that manages to be simultaneously sweet and puckeringly tart. A nice musty funk in the aftertaste. I’m not sure that I would be able to identify guava, although there is certainly a nice fruity quality.

M – Very active carbonation, which I assume is due to the extensive bottle conditioning. A sharp dryness in the finish.

O – I thought the fruit was incorporated pretty nicely into the beer, adding a good amount of sweetness and complexity to the saison. Very refreshing on a warm spring day.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle to Fantome tulip

A: It looks clean and orange although it is completely opaque. There is a big tan orange head that dissipates quickly and leaves a heavy lacing and a lot of carbonation. Pretty much what you expect from a hoppy farmhouse ale and definitely resembles guava.

S: There is a distinctive yeasty scent that reminds me somewhat of a farmhouse, but more of a sweet scent. The guava definitely has some presence it is not necessarily a fruity or citrus smell but it does sort of remind me of a tropical smell. The scent is not necessarily pleasant it stings the nostrils a little.

T: The taste follow the nose with a distinctive taste it is yeasty but it is more unique of a flavor then it is stereotypical farmhouse yeast. It does have a distinct begin flavor that probably comes from the yeast but is also very ale like. The guava does also have a presence it is deep in its fruitiness I do not know how to describe it not quite sweet but dead on in terms of my guava experience very similar to mango and a very interesting complement to the powerful yeasty flavor.

M: There is a medium mouthfeel not too heavy or light it is pretty watery but not thin what so ever. It is smooth and goes down easily so it has a good drinkability with the alcohol being completely hidden. There is a light carbonation that adds to the drinkability.

O: I have only had a few Cigar City beers and I have been impressed so perhaps I expected too much but I was kinda disappointed with this beer it is pretty good but I was expecting great. It does have a disnctive yeast flavor with a solid guava presence but nothing really super special flavor for me. I like it, but perhaps I expect too much worth a try for sure though that being said I don't know if I will be back.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-light hazy orange amber color with a nice white head and good lacing

S-orange, tropical fruit, pepper, sour, earthy, malt

T-oranges and tropical fruit followed by a sour wave and then slightly sweet malt, pepper, cloves and no significant bitterness, but a lingering pucker

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-a solid Saison. Didn't get a lot of distinct guava flavor,but enjoyed this

3.76/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to rynosf23 for this one - split five ways at a recent tasting. Burnt sunburst would be the best way to describe the color of Guava Grove - almost one-hundred percent opaque, very volatile, and producing a heavy, foamy, off-white head with very good retention and semi-decent lacing. I like how this one is looking.

The aroma is full of a sweet and bitter mix of fruit, much of which must be guava. I've never had a real guava, I've only had guava-flavored things. I am picking up some of that guava smell, but it's nowhere near as powerful as I would hope, expect, or like. There's actually an intense pungency that sort of stings the nostrils, not sure if it's a bitterness or what. It's not bad, it's just... different. Some pears and mangoes make up for the remainder of the aroma profile. Not much in terms of malt here - maybe a little bit of added sweetness, but nothing extraordinarily standing out. A light grassiness hits on the tail end as the fruits fade to black.

I'm immediately met with a sharp carbonation upon taking the first sip. Some light spices; clove, coriander, maybe orange peel - much akin to a Belgian style ale - followed up by a light guava flavor. The fruitiness of the guava is very pleasing, however it seems to "come and go" very quickly - it hits your taste buds hard, then it fades away almost instantly. Upon fading out, heavy-ass barnyard flavors hit center stage; wet cork, oak, damp cellar, musky - those are certainly the best descriptors. Upon tasting those, I finally remember that this is a saison - otherwise, it could pass for any old fruit beer. The aftertaste is also dominated by the funk, perhaps with just a tiny bit of fruity flavors and malty sweetness to couple with. Medium bodied with a heavy dose of carbonation and a reasonably dry finish.

I had high hopes for this one - I like CCB and I like guava-flavored things. I also like saisons. So this is a win-win-win, right? Well, perhaps it didn't quite live up to my godly expectations, but it was still a damn good beer. I enjoyed the saison and funk flavors that come through and pound hard from middle to end - but my main complaint is that the guava (and fruit in general) was too muted, both in the aroma and the taste. Still very enjoyable - very solid saison.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 9/4/2012. Pours hazy orange amber color with a big 3 finger fluffy cream colored head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big pear, apple, lemon, orange zest, pineapple, guava, pepper, clove, floral, grass, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity and spicy notes. Taste of apple, pear, lemon, orange zest, guava, pepper, clove, wheat, floral, grass, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of light fruits, guava, citrus, pepper, clove, wheat, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a bit. Very nice complexity of fruity and spicy flavors; with great fruity/peppery flavor balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Very high carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly slick, very crisp, and prickly mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with hardly any warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is an excellent saison style. Very nice balance and complexity of fruity and spicy notes; and very smooth and crisp to sip on. A very enjoyable offering.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I aged this bottle for about a year. It felt appropriate to open on a Friday afternoon.

I poured this beer into a chalice and received some minimal foam. The coloring is a deep orange. It works well for the style.

The nose on this one is as a pretty vibrant sour. I get some of the fruityness, but the saison aroma is strong with this one.

The flavor isn't as strong as the nose. I get minimal saison and what I think is Guava. There is a ton of carbonation filling my mouth.

I will pick up a fresh bottle on my next trip to Florida for a good comparison.

750ml Bottle from Total Wine Clearwater FL for 2.99$ (bargain!)

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint acing. The head lasted for 3-4 minutes. There are also some particles floating around in it.

Smell - Breads/grains, guava, coriander

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste bread/grains mixed with some lemons. There is also some coriander and some yeasty notes and a guava fruitiness. It ends with a spicy yet fruity aftertaste.

Overall - Wow, really good stuff. I was expecting this to taste artificial and way too fruity. It's a great saison with only subtle hints of fruit. If I lived in Florida I'd take a truck over to Total Wine and but whatever they had left at 2.99$ for 750ml. I guess it's out of season but it still tastes fantastic.

4.09/5  rDev +2.5%

Amber gold body with a foamy tan head that dissipates quickly to a ring. Almost no lacing, rather unusual for a saison.

Lovely nose, smells of toffee, guava, clove, brown sugar.

Tastes of toffee, brown sugar, spicy saison yeast--a strong, tongue numbing sensation of clove phenols and a coppery metallic taste. There's some guava fruit coming through midpalate and in the finish, but it is dominated by the strong clove spiciness.

Body is medium, carbonation is light, with a spritzy mouthfeel.

This is a strongly spiced saison which is quite enjoyable, but the clove yeast phenols dominate and I would prefer more of the guava flavor to come through.

3.61/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Hazy just shy of opaque golden hue

S - Interesting musty sourness sugared orange big notes of melon strawberrys guava?

T - This one explodes as it hits the mouth. Orange pineapple plums guava tropical flesh very deep, sweetness provides depth and mouthfeel. Not to cloying or puckering.

M - Nice and full great situation going on here not always a huge fan of overcarbed beers but this one needs it and i was glad it was there. Very champagne like.

O- Overall much better as it warms, had a harsh bite after being opened. Really nice tropical tones that all get held together by the carb and sweetness. One to try but will not be looking for again.

EdiT...After a glass i have STRONG guava undertones that just linger on the palate. very interesting brew.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. Aquired in a trade from RayUF07.. thanks bud!

A- Pours a very hazy, golden orange body with an off-white fizzy head that rises really fast then sticks around for a while and leaves some lacing.

S- Citrus, wheat, yeast, and yes, band-aids. With the exception of the band-aid smell, it's pretty good. I just can't get past that, though.

T- I get all the typical notes of a saison with a very subtle melon note tied in there. Pepper, clove, unripe bananas with a slight guava/watermelon taste in the background. It's pretty sweet.

M- Medium-high carbonation, medium body.

I'll have to admit that I had a hard time getting the last few ounces of this one down. It was a decent brew, but I just couldn't do 22 ounces of it. A lot of reviews said that this beer was relatively dry, but I get the opposite. It's sweet to the point of almost being cloying. It's no better than other normal "average" saisons in my opinion.

I'm really happy that I got to try this one, but my experience did not match what I was expecting. Worth a try if it's in front of you, but nothing to seek.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Thanks Montrosse for the bottle from 2012 secret santa. This beer was chilled ice cold to prevent gushers. This was mostly successful in cutting down bottle gushering. Then we waited until the beer had warmed a bit. Served in wide mouth goblets.

A- The body of the beer is a lightly hazy in an unfiltered sense. The color of the beer is golden yellow. The head was a slightly yellower biege. Nice head retention.

S- The aroma of the guava comes out and says hello immediately; however, the fruit didnt dominate the beers character. Nice musty, clove, yeast notes grab at the fruit and maltyness and pull this beer together.

T- The beer seemed to be in chaos but improved and pulled together giving a near perfect delivery of the taste. Nice drying out at the finish.

M- Some may find this funny the beer needed a touch more carbonation. The body was slick. The alcohol was slightly warming.

O- This is dammed tasty!... A little tweaking of the carbonation and this would enter into a world class level beverage.

3.43/5  rDev -14%

Appearance:
Massive, bubbly, beige head after the pour on a murky, opaque body. The head dissipates quickly with little to no lacing on the glass.

Smell:
Guava, whipped cream, yeast. Not sure I’m crazy about the smell as it comes off almost a bit musty.

Mouthfeel:
Light and wet, with lots of fizz.

Taste:
Definitely a bit of guava taste, though not as much as the smell might suggest. Light, crisp hops all around, with maybe a bit of wheat or the like. Light on aftertaste. A well balanced ale all around. Though it’s relatively high, the alcohol is hidden very well. I do have to mention that something about the hops tastes almost a little cheap in that way a macro beer like Shocktop does. Could just be me though, as all the other offerings I have tried from Cigar City Brewery have been high quality.

Overall:
I found this beer to very refreshing. Certainly something that could be nice all year round. As I stated earlier, I didn’t really dig the smell and tended to avoid taking a sniff while tipping it back. There’s nothing overly remarkable about the taste, but it was very well balanced and good in that regard. Not sure it’s something I would make a point of picking up again, but I wouldn’t rule it out either.

2.79/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Poured a cloudy orange color with a one finger dirty white head with good retention.

S: Band aids. Yup.

T: Thank goodness the taste did not follow the nose on this one. Considering I have no freakin clue as to what guava tastes like I will touch on the tasting notes I do know. A bit Earthy, lightly funky, fresh fruits, a light booze sting. Finish is dry.

M: Medium bodied, higher carbonated. Fruits, Earth and and funkiness sit on the palate

O: Not exactly sure what the ho hum is about. It was a light gusher when it opened and I picked up the medicinal plastic then. The taste has yet to South as far as I know. I only tasted a little plastic behind the scenes.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

750 ml bottle, bottled on August 21, 2012, poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy caramel orange color, topped with a huge off-white head, which has excellent retention and leaves lots of lacing.

S- Lots and lots of very distinct guava aroma as well as some pear and apple fruitiness, also some yeast, phenol, clove and coriander.

T- Similar to the aroma with guava front and center, the clove, coriander and phenol are a bit more prominent here, along with a bready, slightly funky yeast. Alcohol is a bit noticeable and provides some fruit and spiciness. There's also a mild tartness that helps balance things out.

M- Medium-bodied, medium to high carbonation with a slightly dry finish.

O- An interesting saison, I haven't had a lot of experience with guava but this beer seems to capture it pretty well. This is a really unique, tasty beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured in to a pint from a bomber.

A - it's a deepish copper; copious amount of bubbles, looks soapy; minimal to no retention; strong 3/4-to-full inch head

S - I think I've been overly Saisoned tonight; yeah, those yeasts; slightly sugar candy sweet

T - this beer actually hits a perfect amount of sweetness for me; the guava flavor is sweet while also being a little fruit-meaty; it's a Saison through and through; a little dry on the back end

M - The ol lady says, "it's not my favorite foam to get through"; true to form, it's a little over carbonated, although not to any fault of a bad bottle...just the style; it'll make you burp immediately

O - this is a really solid saison with the right amount of sweetness. I enjoyed the way the fruit is utilized without an attempt to mask the proper style of beer.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Cap almost flies off this bottle, was afraid I had a gusher, but just highly carbonated. Raises a large, loose head in the glass over attractive, orange beer with good clarity.

S: Lots of yeast character, but not much of a fruit note. As it warms up, develops a bit of something I'd say is close to tomato... not very familiar with guava, so maybe that's it?

T: Similar to the aroma, this is a nice spicy farmhouse beer, but doesn't seem to have much contribution from the fruit.

M: High carbonation. Moderate body, but highly drinkable

O: Nice beer, although a bit different than I expected. A solid saison, although I wish the ABV were a little lower.

Guava Grove Saison from Cigar City Brewing