Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
SIEVS

kayna7x

03-07-2014 03:53:10 | More by kayna7x
NYbeerdude

1.88/5  rDev -52.9%

Extremely sour tasting beer. Makes you cringe as if eating a lemon.

Appearance is nice (very creamy head, excellent lacing), smell is pleasant (yeasty, alcohol) but the taste of this beer is simply too sour without even a hint of the sweetness one would expect from a guava beer. Nobody I know associates guava with sourness.

It would have been nice if they added some hops to this beer. Perhaps that's what could have saved it.

12-08-2010 23:27:56 | More by NYbeerdude
manutdfan

05-27-2013 17:54:58 | More by manutdfan
BGsWo22

03-09-2013 20:50:25 | More by BGsWo22
alalvarez75

11-14-2011 16:14:51 | More by alalvarez75
Cavery

750ml shared with SundaySour, thanks to whoever sent me this bottle. (sorry, too many trades lately).

Poured carefully into my Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Rustic orange stained glass with a fair amount of cloudiness to it. The foam is slightly off white, looking like an orange was zested into the carbonation, and rose to about 2 1/2 fingers. The carbonation is incredibly lively, the bubbles that formed along the sides of the glass looked exactly like bees wax. I'd never seen that before, and it kind of intimidated me going in to the first sip. The look was strange, and I couldn't help but be suspicious.

S: The nose came off very bread and vinegar. Seriously, the first smell took me on an unwanted journey to the Olive Garden. A saison certainly shouldn't be this sour, let alone this vinegary. Trying to ignore that element: orange skins in old olive oil, salty sourdough breads, and perhaps a slight melon-like bitter sweetness. Not very pleasing, to be honest.

T: A vile and evil throat attacking red wine vinegar and oil concoction that is laden with skin melting acids. The sensation was so strong that it shot up to my nose and I was left with a saltwater sensation that led me to believe I might be drowning. Coarse salty plantains left to soak in lime rind extracts. This isn't very pleasant. An end finish of rotten key lime pie in a crust of barnyard paddies. This is actually nauseating.

M: The carbonation is very alive, but unfortunately this is so drying that it leaves no room for any flavors to escape in time. The sensations of acidic vinegars and rotten oils makes for an overall unpleasant in-mouth experience. You can't compliment a mouth-feel when the beer you are drinking only consists of sensations. The carbonation is holding up nothing, and letting nothing down. It just is, a purposeless mouth-feel.

O: It's always frustrating when you have a beer that you have always wanted to try, and it turns out being compromised in some way. Unfortunately when there is no bottle date on a beer, this can happen. I will seek to give this (among other cigar city offerings) a second chance with a trade directly from the source. I have had a mix of things I really liked, and a mix of things I was incredibly disappointed with. The latter usually being an infected or otherwise compromised bottle. I don't wish to post this review as a form of slander, but it helps me document a negative experience with the hopes of eventually redeeming it. I'll give you another chance Guava Grove, but I won't get my hopes up.

07-30-2011 00:16:16 | More by Cavery

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

01-06-2013 19:35:45 | More by bobertkuekn
vfgccp

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%

A - Pours a bone white, steep head that settles quickly into a loose rocky formation. Average lace. Apricot brown color.

S - Sweet apple aroma. The bitterness could come out as unripe guava, but also cider just as easily.

T - Flavors pop right off the bat. Blast of sour fruit, probably the guava, but not explicitly so. Apple cider. Incredibly tart, with an almost fermented / rotten-fruit character. Plasticy booze. Caught a surprising mushroom / parmesan savoryness in the finish.

M - Finishes remarkably dry for the tart sweetness. Well carbonated. Medium light body.

D - While extremely novel (think Flemish Sour / apple / saison), the profile carries a lot of flavors that just didn't sit well on my palate.

02-09-2011 04:12:06 | More by vfgccp
backfat

Indiana

2.38/5  rDev -40.4%

poured into my 2009 savannah craftbrew fest taster. Blackbird by the beatles playing in the backround. Thanks to muskabeatz for the nasty tick.

This is supposedly the infected batch.

Pours a clear and bright amber gold on the first pour. hazed and full of floaters on the third pour. champagne like carbonation. fizzing like it's about to blow.

smells like dirty, acidic, apricots. some vanilla, grape skins, and lemon.

tastes is sharp. broken up slightly by the intense carbonation. orange rind like crazy. this carbonation is too much. too many pennies in the taste. I don't like it.

08-25-2011 19:36:35 | More by backfat
beagle75

Iowa

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint chalice.

A: Slightly hazy, light amber color with one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass and a lopsided stream of bubbles rise in the column.

S: Tropical fruit and umami make for teriyaki sauce. Nail polish remover is also present. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with bright mixed (tropical/stone) fruit and tartness usually associated with Flanders-style yeast. Acetaldehyde and meaty aromatic malt combine for even more oddness in the middle before the cleaner and drier finish. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, acidic and slightly syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although fruity, the guava component is far surpassed in degree of influence by the characterful but confused yeast and other fermenters. It comes across as the sort of sour that makes one wonder if they meant for this to happen. Challenging even in small doses, it is difficult to imagine working all the way though a pub-style serving of this misguided beer.

05-25-2013 21:41:59 | More by beagle75
SkunkWorks

2.4/5  rDev -39.8%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Look: hazy orange with a thick, ivory head that has excellent retention and leaves behind layers of lacing in abundance. Good looking saison.

Smell: really not digging this. Hints of guava but not much, and really its quite acidic. Not very inviting in the least.

Taste: am I drinking battery acid? I think so. There's a little bit of guava, for just a fraction of a second, before its washed out with a heavy dose of acid. I'm sorry, but acid at this level is not acceptable in a saison and it isn't pleasant even if it was a different style of beer. The finish is incredibly dry to where I feel I'm drinking an incredibly dry, acidic wine or maybe even vinegar. I can't detect any of the familiar saison tastes that I was hoping to find in here. One of the few beers that I truly have found to be repulsive.

Feel: not really sour so much as it is harshly acidic, lightly carbonated and the alcohol is a bit too apparent.

Drinkability: I really forced myself to get to the bottom of the glass and I definitely wouldnt want another and looking back, I'm surprised I didn't drain pour.

Overall, this beer was not good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm surprised it has been so well received. This is only the second beer I've had from Cigar City and well, I might have a hard time going back if Hunaphu wasn't so incredibly good. I was expecting a saison with a bit of guava added in and well, maybe they overdid the guava. I've already said what there is to say about this one. Very disappointed. I would avoid this. Cheers.

04-19-2011 05:00:14 | More by SkunkWorks
tfsimpkins

03-20-2012 03:50:11 | More by tfsimpkins
tobelerone

Connecticut

2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

Drank this one on a blistering south Florida afternoon and expected something fruity and refreshing but this one came very close to drain pour territory. Looks and smells fine, hazy orange with a good head and tangy aroma, but the flavor is a mess, unpleasantly sour and with a rotted fruit thing going on that was extremely unappetizing. Reminded me of my friend's very amateurish homebrewing experiments with fruit. just awful.

As another reviewer said, nobody thinks sour when they hear guava. It's a very sweet, rounded flavor that can almost be cloying and syrupy....none of that was present here. I like sour beers as a style but this one didn't have the appealing tartness you expect from a sour. Just rancid fruit.

EDIT: I will go back and try this one again. Got a feeling I got an infected bottle. I know about sour beers, this one had more of a rot thing going on.

07-05-2011 20:50:47 | More by tobelerone

Georgia

09-09-2012 21:31:15 | More by AltimusPrime
Paulcom11

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

This tasted closer to a sparkling wine than a beer. A very fizzy mouthfeel. The guava comes through nicely. This was in a large pint bottle, but all I needed was half a glass. As suggested in other reviews it could be interesting how this beer ages, it might be smoother, more drinkable.

05-20-2011 01:49:48 | More by Paulcom11
BrianGT

Georgia

2.63/5  rDev -34.1%

Picked this up in a bomber on a recent trip down to Florida.

Pours an hazy brownish/amber color, with minimal white head, which seemed to dissipate quickly.

Smells quite acidic, and rather unpleasant. Fruity, yeasty smells are overwhelmed with sourness.

There is some sour fruitiness up front, which is quickly overwhelmed by a vinegar-like taste, finishing off with a bit of bitterness.

I really wanted to like this beer, liking more saisons, and various sour beers, but there is too much of a vinegar-like taste for me in this beer. I split this with a couple of friends, and we didn't manage to finish it all.

12-08-2010 22:39:59 | More by BrianGT