Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
1.97/5  rDev -51%

Extremely sour tasting beer. Makes you cringe as if eating a lemon.

Appearance is nice (very creamy head, excellent lacing), smell is pleasant (yeasty, alcohol) but the taste of this beer is simply too sour without even a hint of the sweetness one would expect from a guava beer. Nobody I know associates guava with sourness.

It would have been nice if they added some hops to this beer. Perhaps that's what could have saved it. (430 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -49%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

750ml shared with SundaySour, thanks to whoever sent me this bottle. (sorry, too many trades lately).

Poured carefully into my Lost Abbey tulip.

A: Rustic orange stained glass with a fair amount of cloudiness to it. The foam is slightly off white, looking like an orange was zested into the carbonation, and rose to about 2 1/2 fingers. The carbonation is incredibly lively, the bubbles that formed along the sides of the glass looked exactly like bees wax. I'd never seen that before, and it kind of intimidated me going in to the first sip. The look was strange, and I couldn't help but be suspicious.

S: The nose came off very bread and vinegar. Seriously, the first smell took me on an unwanted journey to the Olive Garden. A saison certainly shouldn't be this sour, let alone this vinegary. Trying to ignore that element: orange skins in old olive oil, salty sourdough breads, and perhaps a slight melon-like bitter sweetness. Not very pleasing, to be honest.

T: A vile and evil throat attacking red wine vinegar and oil concoction that is laden with skin melting acids. The sensation was so strong that it shot up to my nose and I was left with a saltwater sensation that led me to believe I might be drowning. Coarse salty plantains left to soak in lime rind extracts. This isn't very pleasant. An end finish of rotten key lime pie in a crust of barnyard paddies. This is actually nauseating.

M: The carbonation is very alive, but unfortunately this is so drying that it leaves no room for any flavors to escape in time. The sensations of acidic vinegars and rotten oils makes for an overall unpleasant in-mouth experience. You can't compliment a mouth-feel when the beer you are drinking only consists of sensations. The carbonation is holding up nothing, and letting nothing down. It just is, a purposeless mouth-feel.

O: It's always frustrating when you have a beer that you have always wanted to try, and it turns out being compromised in some way. Unfortunately when there is no bottle date on a beer, this can happen. I will seek to give this (among other cigar city offerings) a second chance with a trade directly from the source. I have had a mix of things I really liked, and a mix of things I was incredibly disappointed with. The latter usually being an infected or otherwise compromised bottle. I don't wish to post this review as a form of slander, but it helps me document a negative experience with the hopes of eventually redeeming it. I'll give you another chance Guava Grove, but I won't get my hopes up. (2,538 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -41.8%

A - Pours a bone white, steep head that settles quickly into a loose rocky formation. Average lace. Apricot brown color.

S - Sweet apple aroma. The bitterness could come out as unripe guava, but also cider just as easily.

T - Flavors pop right off the bat. Blast of sour fruit, probably the guava, but not explicitly so. Apple cider. Incredibly tart, with an almost fermented / rotten-fruit character. Plasticy booze. Caught a surprising mushroom / parmesan savoryness in the finish.

M - Finishes remarkably dry for the tart sweetness. Well carbonated. Medium light body.

D - While extremely novel (think Flemish Sour / apple / saison), the profile carries a lot of flavors that just didn't sit well on my palate. (717 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -41%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

poured into my 2009 savannah craftbrew fest taster. Blackbird by the beatles playing in the backround. Thanks to muskabeatz for the nasty tick.

This is supposedly the infected batch.

Pours a clear and bright amber gold on the first pour. hazed and full of floaters on the third pour. champagne like carbonation. fizzing like it's about to blow.

smells like dirty, acidic, apricots. some vanilla, grape skins, and lemon.

tastes is sharp. broken up slightly by the intense carbonation. orange rind like crazy. this carbonation is too much. too many pennies in the taste. I don't like it. (590 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -39.8%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Look: hazy orange with a thick, ivory head that has excellent retention and leaves behind layers of lacing in abundance. Good looking saison.

Smell: really not digging this. Hints of guava but not much, and really its quite acidic. Not very inviting in the least.

Taste: am I drinking battery acid? I think so. There's a little bit of guava, for just a fraction of a second, before its washed out with a heavy dose of acid. I'm sorry, but acid at this level is not acceptable in a saison and it isn't pleasant even if it was a different style of beer. The finish is incredibly dry to where I feel I'm drinking an incredibly dry, acidic wine or maybe even vinegar. I can't detect any of the familiar saison tastes that I was hoping to find in here. One of the few beers that I truly have found to be repulsive.

Feel: not really sour so much as it is harshly acidic, lightly carbonated and the alcohol is a bit too apparent.

Drinkability: I really forced myself to get to the bottom of the glass and I definitely wouldnt want another and looking back, I'm surprised I didn't drain pour.

Overall, this beer was not good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm surprised it has been so well received. This is only the second beer I've had from Cigar City and well, I might have a hard time going back if Hunaphu wasn't so incredibly good. I was expecting a saison with a bit of guava added in and well, maybe they overdid the guava. I've already said what there is to say about this one. Very disappointed. I would avoid this. Cheers. (1,576 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a half-pint chalice.

A: Slightly hazy, light amber color with one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass and a lopsided stream of bubbles rise in the column.

S: Tropical fruit and umami make for teriyaki sauce. Nail polish remover is also present. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with bright mixed (tropical/stone) fruit and tartness usually associated with Flanders-style yeast. Acetaldehyde and meaty aromatic malt combine for even more oddness in the middle before the cleaner and drier finish. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium viscosity, acidic and slightly syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Although fruity, the guava component is far surpassed in degree of influence by the characterful but confused yeast and other fermenters. It comes across as the sort of sour that makes one wonder if they meant for this to happen. Challenging even in small doses, it is difficult to imagine working all the way though a pub-style serving of this misguided beer. (1,063 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -35.8%

Drank this one on a blistering south Florida afternoon and expected something fruity and refreshing but this one came very close to drain pour territory. Looks and smells fine, hazy orange with a good head and tangy aroma, but the flavor is a mess, unpleasantly sour and with a rotted fruit thing going on that was extremely unappetizing. Reminded me of my friend's very amateurish homebrewing experiments with fruit. just awful.

As another reviewer said, nobody thinks sour when they hear guava. It's a very sweet, rounded flavor that can almost be cloying and syrupy....none of that was present here. I like sour beers as a style but this one didn't have the appealing tartness you expect from a sour. Just rancid fruit.

EDIT: I will go back and try this one again. Got a feeling I got an infected bottle. I know about sour beers, this one had more of a rot thing going on. (878 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -34.3%

Picked this up in a bomber on a recent trip down to Florida.

Pours an hazy brownish/amber color, with minimal white head, which seemed to dissipate quickly.

Smells quite acidic, and rather unpleasant. Fruity, yeasty smells are overwhelmed with sourness.

There is some sour fruitiness up front, which is quickly overwhelmed by a vinegar-like taste, finishing off with a bit of bitterness.

I really wanted to like this beer, liking more saisons, and various sour beers, but there is too much of a vinegar-like taste for me in this beer. I split this with a couple of friends, and we didn't manage to finish it all. (616 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -33.1%

This tasted closer to a sparkling wine than a beer. A very fizzy mouthfeel. The guava comes through nicely. This was in a large pint bottle, but all I needed was half a glass. As suggested in other reviews it could be interesting how this beer ages, it might be smoother, more drinkable. (287 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -30.8%

A: muddy, murky amber orange in color with a slight bit of cream colored head that fades to the faintest ring.

A: lemony tangerine/grapefruit and yep, guava...

T: tart, sour funk, carbonated acidic citrus....great combo :/

M: heavy carbonation and sour acidity make this one a rather unpleasant mouthfeel.

D: i scarcely have words for this brew. i have liked everything else i have tried from Cigar City but here i was not impressed and will not drink again. but hey, if sour citric acid and heavy carbonation is your thing...bottoms up!

salud! (550 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -30.6%

A: Poured a cloudy orange color with a one finger dirty white head with good retention.

S: Band aids. Yup.

T: Thank goodness the taste did not follow the nose on this one. Considering I have no freakin clue as to what guava tastes like I will touch on the tasting notes I do know. A bit Earthy, lightly funky, fresh fruits, a light booze sting. Finish is dry.

M: Medium bodied, higher carbonated. Fruits, Earth and and funkiness sit on the palate

O: Not exactly sure what the ho hum is about. It was a light gusher when it opened and I picked up the medicinal plastic then. The taste has yet to South as far as I know. I only tasted a little plastic behind the scenes. (673 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to funkybuddha for this one.

Poured a 750ml into my Hennepin globe. This beer pours a turbid burnt orange with a bit of suspend yeast. Really is a beautiful color for a beer. A bright white cap disappears into just a thin line on top of the beer. Quite a bit of lacing is left on the sides of the glass. Great looking beer. The aroma if fairly heavy on the guava. Light pear with just a hint of ripe berries. Quite a bit of spice including some fresh ground pepper and clove. Just a mild bitterness to the very end of the aroma. The flavor profile is a bit similar. Guava up front. Fresh ripe berries and just a bit of pear. Quite a bit of spice. There is a odd bitterness that lingers on the palate. It kind of inundates the the whole mouth. Also just a hint of sourness. I dont know if its intended or a by product of the brewing. Just not a huge fan of the flavor profile of this beer. The mouthfeel is spot on for a Saison. Nice and dry, fairly yeasty. Spot on. Really, this could be a spectacular beer is it wasn't for the sourness/bitterness that just dont seem to fit. (1,083 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -24.9%

was excited to try this beer when I first got my hands on a bottle. It poured an cloudy almost murky color with little head.

the bitter taste hit me right away with a hard carbination follow, which faded fast and left a silky guava taste. Its not as fruity as I thought it would be and am a little let down by that. If I could get over the initial bitter taste i'd like it so much more. I might be off in saying this, but I feel it borders on a sour. (451 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.9%

Thanks to jtd1969 for bringing this back from Florida.

Pours a hazy yellow-orange with a mountain of thick, foamy head that has amazing retention. The nose is sweet and fruity with faint notes of yeast. The guava really comes through in the nose. The flavor is wheaty and straw-like up front followed by a sweet fruitiness and finishes with a mild tartness. The mouthfeel is crisp and a little heavily carbonated with an extremely dry finish. There's also a little warmth from the alcohol.

I liked this because it was different. The guava was a nice change of pace from all the typical fruits usually put in beer. Overall, though the flavor was one-dimensional and it drinks like juice and finishes like a dry wine. I wouldn't go out of my way for this one. (759 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

A-pours a hazy golden orange color with a faintly off white head that is thick and creamy.

S-belgian yeast, peppery spice, citrus aromas, mango, orange peel, light lemon zest, a little sweet but fairly decent nose.

T-the yeast is faint up front, huge malt body and sweetness take over, syrupy caramel lies underneath all sorts of cloying sweetness. the citrus fruits of mango, orange peel, phenolic metal in the back with a light bitterness.

M-syrupy feel with a light to medium body, soft feel on the palate with a good carbonation to balance.

D-the nose is a decent representation of the style but it is far too sweet in the taste with touch much malted barley. (667 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -23.4%

750ml bomber poured into tulip glass. No date on bottle. Beer was very difficult to pour. I tried to pour very slowly and it took probably 3-4 minutes before I could get a 1/2 filled tulip glass..

A: The color is slightly orange. Opaque. A ton of head. Very difficult to pour enough to actually get a taste.

S: Smells quite sour. with a boozy undertone.

T: I wasn't expecting it to be this sour. I'm not really getting any guava. A little disappointing.

M: Exceptionally fizzy. Almost champagny with the amount of carbonation.

After hearing a lot of hype about Cigar City Brewing Company, I was looking forward to this one, but was not entirely excited about the results.

Serving type: bottle - 750ml (707 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -20.9%

Served in a glass mug.

Thanks to VDubb86 for sharing this bottle!

For some reason, Mike kept on calling this thing "Guava Groove". Honestly, like him, I think it's a slightly better name. It pours a cloudy earthy amber topped by over a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises tart blood orange (the smell set off some of my taste buds), lemon, grapefruit, and a mild helping of Brett. The taste holds notes of lemon, mandarin oranges, a vague tropical fruit that we all agree must be the guava (I've never had one, so I don't know what it necessarily tastes like); then a wave of brine and vinegar; and then nothing: The flavors just die away, leaving my tongue wondering what the hell just happened. The body is a light medium, with an active carbonation and an incredibly dry finish. Overall, what could have been a really nice experimental brew turned out to be a slight miss. The saltiness near the end, the disappearance of any and all flavor at the end, and the overt carbonation all turned me off. I'm not a fan here. (1,031 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%

750 ml bottle courtesy of Amie straight from Florida - thanks for the opportunity to try this! Poured into two tulips.

A: Gusher! Huge, obnoxious amount of billowy slightly off-white head, even with the gentlest of pours. Dark orange, way darker than I was expecting for this beer. Not bad but the gusher-status of this beer is a detractor from it's appearance.

S: Sweet notes of passion fruit, grape and peach. Lactic tart notes come through as well, something I wasn't expecting but it's very nice and welcomed in this instance.

T: Tart lemon, funky and sour brett notes, oak, white grape juice. I don't really get any guava as it seems to be masked by the overall funk character this beer has. It's not done right, either - a rather flimsy example.

M: Bubbly, crisp and clean, this medium-bodied mouth feel is quite nice for the style.

This seems to be another "miss" in Cigar City's attempts to make a funky, brett-esque beer. Why on earth they are taking a would be nice, guava infused Saison and putting it through their rather awful wild fermenting process is beyond me. STOP doing this - and if you're going to - refine and master the process. (1,156 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -18.7%

Thanks again to moose3285 for the steady, tasty stream of Cigar City brews flowing north on the map. Marvelous to always have a stock of CC brew at the ready on any given evening!

Ooh, we have a lively one. Foam rises slowly & majestically up the neck & over the edge of the bottle as I pour. Light golden. Smell is funk with a healthy side of tropical fruits.

Guava Grove might be the first CC beer that is actually a bit disappointing. The promise of a unique & fruity saison offered up via the nose doesn't really shine through. An underwhelming combination of yeastiness & funk dominates. The fruit/guava makes a Casper-esque appearance, but flashes out too quickly.

Sipping quality is hindered by rampant bubbling; way overcarbonated. The finish is dry, dry, dry & appropriate for the style.

Pretty good beer, but for a brewery that has pumped out fanstastic beer after marvelous beer, it's a let down. A standard saison. (932 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -18.4%

pours a light reddish/orange color. big white head that sticks to the walls. smell is brett-funkish, with some saison yeast and a light caramel aroma thrown in for good measure. Much more sour than I remember this being on tap. slightly fruity, but the sourness is what really comes through here. Less of a saison than it is a sour beer. Dry as well. Not so much reminiscent of wilds as it is flemish sours. Lively and very carbonated mouthfeel. Overall, this is a strange beer and I don't quite know how to rate it. On draft i remember this being refreshing and fruity and now it's very sour. (593 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -17.7%

Just the slightest of haze in the bronze colored liquid. A very thin head forms and quickly goes away. Not much for lacing. Looks like it suffers from a lack of carbonation. Very interesting aroma. A combination of tart and spice. The guava is readily apparent along with hints of tropical fruit. The flavor was not as impressive. A little tartness upfront with plenty of fruit flavors. Finishes with some spice notes. The saison gets a bit lost under the fruit. The body suffers from very low carbonation. Feels thin as well. I like a little bit more life out of this style. Besides the carbonation issues, the flavor just did not click with me. That is something carbonation is not going to fix. (697 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into an Allagash chalice. Bottle dated 5/9/2011.

Appearance - Pours a deep golden color with a huge fuffy white head that never dissipates. Nice lacing. Wonderful retention.

Smell - Takes a while for the aroma to open up. As it warms, it has a bright fruit flavor of bananas, pears, and some citrus. I wouldn't be able to pick out guava if it weren't in the name. A hint of funk in the back, but it's very faint. Maybe some cloves as well.

Taste - Initial malt sweetness and some fruit flavors. Similar to the smell, but without any of the funk. Slight touch of bitterness in the finish. A touch of tang to it as well, but nothing I'd call tart or sour.

Mouthfeel - Thick and a touch syrupy. Heavy for a saison and an 8% one at that. Good carbonation, I suppose.

Overall - It tastes good. No off flavors. Nothing I'm amazed by, though. Just a decent saison. I prefer them lighter and more complex than this. (933 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured in to Duvel tulip. No freshness info evident on the bottle.

A - A huge pop when I pried the cap off with a significant amount of smoke emanating from the bottle. The bottle began to overflow before I got around to pouring it in to the glass. The our, as expected, was full of bubbly white head that consumed nearly half of the glass after the pour. The head slowly receded to about a finger. The body of the beer was a cloudy medium orange colour that was very nearly opaque.

S - Big hit of Belgian yeast, clove and a very noticeable bitterness up front. Some grassy and citrus aromas are hidden in the background but I don't pick up the guava specifically.

T - Bready malts, Belgian yeast, clove and a slight sour/tart flavour are evident up front. The background offers som subdued citrus and guava flavours. The finish is dry and slightly bitter.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation.

O - A very average beer. The guava was too subdued and should have played a larger role in the flavour profile. (1,020 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Bright orange body with a loosely formed white head that retains quite well, but doesn't leave a lot of lacing.

Plenty of tart fruitiness in the nose. I suppose this can be attributed to the guava, but it's somewhat indistinct; it could just as easily be, say, freshly sliced tart apples. Some cloves and a touch of earthiness.

Pretty tasty stuff. Yeasty and tangy/fruity with a modest amount of clove-spiked sweetness. Midswallow an an earthy/woodsy/funky combo comes into play. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation with a dryish finish. Some piney hops are oddly out of place, which is really my only complaint with this beer. Some time in the cellar would probably smooth that out nicely.

Overall impression: I didn't really pick up a whole lot of guava, but this was pretty enjoyable. (833 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance:
Massive, bubbly, beige head after the pour on a murky, opaque body. The head dissipates quickly with little to no lacing on the glass.

Smell:
Guava, whipped cream, yeast. Not sure I’m crazy about the smell as it comes off almost a bit musty.

Mouthfeel:
Light and wet, with lots of fizz.

Taste:
Definitely a bit of guava taste, though not as much as the smell might suggest. Light, crisp hops all around, with maybe a bit of wheat or the like. Light on aftertaste. A well balanced ale all around. Though it’s relatively high, the alcohol is hidden very well. I do have to mention that something about the hops tastes almost a little cheap in that way a macro beer like Shocktop does. Could just be me though, as all the other offerings I have tried from Cigar City Brewery have been high quality.

Overall:
I found this beer to very refreshing. Certainly something that could be nice all year round. As I stated earlier, I didn’t really dig the smell and tended to avoid taking a sniff while tipping it back. There’s nothing overly remarkable about the taste, but it was very well balanced and good in that regard. Not sure it’s something I would make a point of picking up again, but I wouldn’t rule it out either. (1,241 characters)

Guava Grove Saison from Cigar City Brewing