Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours a hazy orange body with a beautiful 2-finger white head with great retention and some pretty nice lacing.

S- Tartness up front, sourness, and you can definately smell the guava. slight apple and pear.

T- Just like the smell, very tart, a little sour, with guava, aplle, and pear.

MF- Medium bodied, but crisp. A heathy amount of carbonation keeps it crisp and feeling lighter on the palate.

LtCracker20, Jul 27, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

poured into a snifter glass.

Appearance: Orange and amber almost light pink colored beer. White head that starts out 3 fingers tall and recedes down into about half a fingers head. Not much lacing here.

Smell: Vinegar, hay, funk, and tropical fruits.

Taste: Mild sweetness that tastes like guava and mango. The taste of acidity is strong and takes away the sweetness of the fruits. It really tastes like vinegar. Funkiness is sour with grassy / citrus notes and helps to tame the acidity of the vinegar. The citrus starts out as grapefruit and as it warms become more lemony. This beer has many layers and I am impressed by the many layer of this beer. Vinegar flavor is just too much; even off putting and distracts from the subtle flavors of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer that is highly carbonated. Effervescent and crisp. Not at all boozy even though it clocks in at 8%.

Overall: Still trying to expand my palate with sours beers. Interesting beer, but I don't think that i want to have another bottle of this beer anytime soon.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Jul 26, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow! Now, I'm not the kind of person to review a brew twice when I've had it bottle and on-tap. But, the retooled Guava Grove with the new (or "original," if you will) yeast strain blew me away! Enjoyed on-tap at the CCB taproom.

This beer was just great. Instead of the extreme tartness and sourness the old Guava Grove presented, this one presented a great Saison funkiness that paired very well with the up-front guava notes to make a delicious smelling and tasting beer. The drinkability is probably the beer's finest hour, if this is still clocking in at around 8%, it's some sort of miracle, since it now drinks like it's a 4.5% beer! Seriously. Try the new Guava Grove. It's really, really good.

shand, Jul 25, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Nice pour into a Russian River snifter glass, pours a hazy orange with a big two finger head that starts to subside after a minute or two, head never totally disappears. With the first smell, Belgian session sort of grassy but then, quickly overtaken by the smell of guava, the finish is almost like I'm standing in a citrus grove. I pick up other citrus fruits beside guava as well, oranges. The taste characteristics almost mirror the smell, farmhouse session up front with the guava coming through strong in the finish. Not like biting into the fruit itself but, the taste you would get from the juice, slightly sour with some grapefruit taste as well. Sour on the aftertaste. Citrus, orange, guava and grapefruit juices mixed together. Nice and crisp, light bodied with balanced amount of carbonation. Great beer to drink on a Summer day!

GradyS1, Jul 24, 2011

Poured from the bomber into two DFH Snifters. Shared with my girflriend, Meggie88.

A--Cloudy orange with an amber tint. There was also a foamy bright-white head, about 2" that didn't dissipate quickly. It lasted most of the drink.

S--Sweet citrus. Papaya, guava, and mango. Then comes a Belgian yeasty smell. This is followed by a slight hint of pepper.

T--Citrus is present on the front in. The sweet guava is very appealing. Then comes a wave of pepper and finishes with the yeast. The sourness of this wasn't overwhelming, but was present.

M--Light-bodied. This has a slight carbonation to it.

O--This is a good saison. Very representative of the style IMO. Not my favorite Cigar City brew, but for this time of the year in Miami, I enjoyed it tremendously.

Mosley1212, Jul 20, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

750ml bottle poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a mahogony reddish brown color with very good clarity. A foamy finger of dirty brown foam sits on top and leaves some loose webs of lacing.

S - Fruity, guava, melons, cantaloupe and rather tart. A bit different than I thought it would be - interesting.

T - Quite tart, very surprising for a saison - fruity with the guava and melony aspects of the aroma coming thru quite solidly. Lactic and acetic tartness is quite high and a bit puckering.

M - Medium body with a fairly strong carbonation...acidity and tartness and tartness leave a lasting impression well beyond the swallow.

O - 2nd saison of the night and we are two for two with unexpected sours. Really not at all what I expected before opening the bottle. Sour/tartness really gives this a wildness and makes it hard to think of this as a saison. It isn't bad, but certainly isn't going to blow you away either - even looking at it as a sour. Good to have tried it, but I won't go out of my way to find this again.

portia99, Jul 19, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange tinted amber color with a finger and a half of off white head that leaves a layer throughout the pour. Nice head retention.

Smell: A bit funky and sour with sweet tropical fruit.

Taste: Quite acidic. Tart and a bit vinegary with the fruity flavor from the guava. Along with the acidity, there is some spice in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a lot of carbonation. The finish is slick and a bit unremarkable.

Overall: When I was at the brewery, I had the less sour version of this beer. I'm not sure which one I prefer, but this was a nice sour fruit beer.

oline73, Jul 17, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Split a bottle of this with my wife

A - Amber colored beer with about a finger of head. Left nice lacing on glass.

S - Definitely smell the fruit in this one. Green apple guava with just a little funkiness.

T - Really liked the taste of this one. Sweet with a slight tartness. Taste reminds me of a wild ale but not sour enough. Nice clean finish. Perfect for summer.

M - Body was medium to light with good carbonation.

O - Liked this beer a lot and hope to get another bottle in the future.

jmadrigal2, Jul 16, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -1%

Thanks to Thirstybird for opening this one up. 750ml bottle served in a Bells tulip. Pours a hazy burnt orange with no head, just a thin, bubbly band around the edges. Some lacing, but weak legs. Nose is pretty fantastic - lots of tropical fruit character, a tartness, cork and medicinal phenols as the brew warms. It actually reminds me a bit of Duck Duck Gooze in some ways. Taste is tart, citrusy, salty and a bit medicinal. These qualities really overwhelm any suggestion of tropical fruit. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a prickly, overly assertive carbonation, acidic and astringent. Overall - if you're expecting a Saison, you aren't going to get any of the classic qualities here. In my opinion, it's closer to an American Wild. It's definitely an interesting brew, but not something I would seek out again. All and all, less sour and tart than medicinal.

Jwale73, Jul 16, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a DFH Signature glass...

A - A very hazy, intense orange color - almost a darker creamsicle color. Nice fluffy eggshell white head forms, about 1.5 fingers thick, retains very nicely.

S - Wow. Sour aromas with the guava being nice and prominent. Other fruits are present as well: tangerine, oranges and some apples and pear. There is some farmhouse funkiness that I was looking for as well. Nice nose for sure.

T - Followed the nose very closely. Funky sourness mixed with delicious, juciy fruits. Nice mix of flavors and I get some mango and slight pepperiness to it as well.

M - Light to medium bodied with pretty substantial carbonation which was nice on the tongue. Quite refreshing and a nice summer beer!

O - Really enjoyed this one and I have had it several times. Like the mix of flavors and really dig how tropical the fruits are. Nice work!

KAP1356, Jul 12, 2011

To me this seemed like one of those hit or miss beers.

A - Amber colored beer with a dense head that had great retention. Nice stick on the sides of the glass.

S - Lots of tropical fruit, the guava is pretty easy to pick out. Some citrus fruit, oranges in particular, as well as some mild green apples.

T - Saison is a nice style to try this with, as it won't overwhelm the fruit if and can make it more of a focus for the beer. The taste followed the nose, with nice guava, apples, and citrus in there. Pretty good stuff.

M - Light bodied with active carbonation.

O - Nice beer, something that would really hit the spot if I was in the mood for a guava beer. I've heard there was some batch variance in this, but the one I have is worth trying.

AgentZero, Jul 12, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

To date, this was the single weirdest farmhouse brew I've ever taste. Seriously, nothing else even comes close.

I split this with my wife in our resort hotel room in Universal Studios Orlando before heading out for an amazing lunch at Emeril's on the City Walk.

A: Intensely compact, orange color, with absolutely no light passing through the thick vat of fruity goodness. Very frothy (nitro tap-like) solid white head, that retained itself and then some.

S: If I had smelled this thing sight unseen, and without knowing any better, I would have pegged it as an American Wild Ale. Sour, extremely fruity, but with a mild farmhouse-like funk once I truly searched for it.

T: First of all, what exactly does guava itself taste like? No matter I guess. As for this beer, it had a leather (think "Fruit Roll-up") quality. Personally, I got a tremendous amount of mango husk, along with banana on the back end. Additionally, the sour, or "Sweet Tart" personality of the thing gave it the old off Flanders Aud Bruin treatment.

M: Like I stated before, this sucker was leathery... and sour, full, complex, tropical, and somewhat tangy. There was minimal lacing and the sweetness wasn't cloying and didn't linger at all.

O: I certainly couldn't have this stuff every day, and would definitely need be in the mood for it beforehand. However, this was brew was pretty cool.

NOTE: I've heard that the recipe for this year has changed fro. Last year to this year. Supposedly last year's was sour and in this years version, the fruity was the driving force. I'll venture to guess that I just had last year's, so I picked up a couple more bottles for comparison.

Chaney, Jul 11, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

22oz bottle into a New Belgium goblet (first batch, I'm told). Thanks to sendsilk for the trade.

A crackling, intense tan head builds with a gentle pour, almost spilling out of the glass but eventually settling to a thin wisp of bubbles. Body is a hazed copper-orange hue with iced tea at the margins. Acetone & vinegar dominate the nose, but guava fruit is quick to follow suit. Sweet, floral, and fragrant with backings of honeysuckle and grapefruit peel.

The flavor is decidedly more tart than the aroma suggested, but the guava again saves the day with a fruity, juicy balance. Hints of acetone in the finish amplified by a spritzy carbonation level. Body is somewhat thin and, again, the bubbles are massive and numerous--a bit too soda-like for me. Still, a very tasty, very unique beer and a great summer beer despite the 8% ABV. Cigar City has a winner with Guava Grove.

wagenvolks, Jul 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A deep brownish orange with a frothy head that dies down.

S: Medium tart apple cider, grapefruit with some cherry. Honestly I don't get any guava in the nose but what is there isn't off putting.

T: Theres the guava! Strong delicious wave of guava hits in the beginning and like a wave that passes over leaves behind a grape sodaish, grapefruit, and appealingly tart green apple taste. I was a little skeptical about this beer but this is nice.

M: Lighter bodied than it looks with a very pleasing mouthfeel. Effervescent and refreshing, making it a great summer drink.

O: I read another review here that, if I recall correctly, stated very strongly that this really disappointed the reviewer as a potential summer beer but I have to say I really disagree. This is just the sort of thing I would pop open on my lawn chair on a hot summer day (assuming it's served quite cold). Another nice thing about this beer is that I didn't see a big flavor transition as it warmed up so I feel like you can pretty guiltlessly drink this ice cold. Really, super drinkable and pretty delicious with a good mouthfeel. My first cigar city and it has me interested!

Klym, Jul 09, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

750mL Bottled poured into a The Bruery Tulip

Thanks to Eric for sharing this one.

Pours a muddled rust orange color with dark gold edges. The head is white and thin and leaves nice lacing. The smell on this beer is incredibly aromatic. It explodes with ripe tropical fruit, a slight funkiness and tart citric acid. Also has smell like orange pulp. The taste is also ripe tropical fruit. It is very juicy and has a fair amount of citric acid tartness without being overly sour. Has a medium body and a fair amount of carbonation and goes down very easily.

Overall, I found this beer to be fantastic. It seemed more like a Wild Ale than a Saison to me. This was the major surprise hit at our tasting that night. Tart, juicy, fruit forward and refreshing at the same time. I will definitely be looking to find more bottles of this.

codynevels, Jul 09, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -37.3%

Drank this one on a blistering south Florida afternoon and expected something fruity and refreshing but this one came very close to drain pour territory. Looks and smells fine, hazy orange with a good head and tangy aroma, but the flavor is a mess, unpleasantly sour and with a rotted fruit thing going on that was extremely unappetizing. Reminded me of my friend's very amateurish homebrewing experiments with fruit. just awful.

As another reviewer said, nobody thinks sour when they hear guava. It's a very sweet, rounded flavor that can almost be cloying and syrupy....none of that was present here. I like sour beers as a style but this one didn't have the appealing tartness you expect from a sour. Just rancid fruit.

EDIT: I will go back and try this one again. Got a feeling I got an infected bottle. I know about sour beers, this one had more of a rot thing going on.

tobelerone, Jul 05, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -6%

Purchased at the brewery by Purplecloud. Thanks, bro!

A: deep amber color with slight haze, nice creamy head
S: acetic acid nose, is this a saison or a sour?
T: funk, acetic, with good malt and underlying fruit, definitely different and a decent drink
M: tastebuds go through the whole gamut of sour, sweet, cloying
O: good beer but just don't know what it's supposed to be in the beer style world

wisrarebeer, Jun 27, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Pours a really nice strong copper with some haze and some slight brown notes. There is a nice almost permanent 1.5 inch head. The head is very dense and lasts a very long time. REally nice appearance.

S - Aromas of citrus fruits, some lemon as well as some nice tart Granny Smith apples and some pear notes. There is some toasty malt and some slight peppery spice as well. There are some slight sweet notes and there is also some nice guava picked up in teh nose.

T & M - Starts off with some nice funk and tartness. Some slight balsamic vinegar and some white wine notes are present. There is also some nice fruity apple and some pear. The middle shows us some nice peppery spice with some nice slight clove notes. There is some nice dryness in the middle that then turns back into some nice tartness and slight guava sweetness. It is pretty delicious and the sweetness balances out the sour notes. There is some more lemon and also a nice funk. Light and refreshing mouthfeel that has some higher carbonation and good funky and chalky yeast notes. There is a good dryness that finishes out the beer.

O - This beer is pretty delicious and has some mild sour notes but they are still quite prevalent. The flavors are all very well crafted but work very well together. Good sour and funky Saison.

JoEBoBpr, Jun 27, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

Visited CCB yesterday and this is the beer I bought. Served in my hotel room in a small glass provided in the room. Not ideal, but the lacing is telling me that it's at least clean. Loved visiting CCB, but this isn't their best offering.

The appearance is pretty good. Hazy light copper with a seafoam consistency white head. Good staying power on it, too.

The nose is a dulled 3711 saison (they told me this is the strain and it's decently easy to see). Slightly spicy and belgiany, but also the word dirty keeps coming to my mind. Not quite sure why, but it's definitely there.

The flavor is also initially a standard 3711 (could I have homebrewed that?), but it has a nice, full guava flavor that comes in afterward. Interesting and unique, it redeems the flavor of the beer. I'l definitely keep going through the rest of the bottle. My friend splitting it with me says that it has some hefe type notes. Not sure that I agree (might be more Belgian Wit IMO), but it's a decent comment.

Overall, this was a mostly forgettable and just decent beer, but the guava undertones save it from complete mediocrity. I liked CCB, but this wasn't the best offering.

UTCengOwl, Jun 25, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

pours a light reddish/orange color. big white head that sticks to the walls. smell is brett-funkish, with some saison yeast and a light caramel aroma thrown in for good measure. Much more sour than I remember this being on tap. slightly fruity, but the sourness is what really comes through here. Less of a saison than it is a sour beer. Dry as well. Not so much reminiscent of wilds as it is flemish sours. Lively and very carbonated mouthfeel. Overall, this is a strange beer and I don't quite know how to rate it. On draft i remember this being refreshing and fruity and now it's very sour.

Blanco, Jun 24, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

First bottling courtesy of ktrillionaire, so nearly two years old. Served in a Three Floyds pint glass. Shared with friends while watching the US-Panama football match.

A - Pours with a giant off-white foam that quickly settles to a thick collar, leaving behind a few splotches of lace. Lightly hazed golden body with a few visible fast-moving streams of bubbles.

S - Initially very heavy in white grape, although I think that's part of the guava flavor profile. Spicy and peppery farmhouse yeast, light funk, some fruit acidity, and a bit of sweet fruit character - either from the guava, malt, or the estery yeast, I'm not certain. Gets significantly better as it warms up.

T - Taste is more yeast-heavy, some guava and stone fruit malt character moving into the periphery. Super dry, with a lightly sour and acetic finish. Alcohol is incredibly well-hidden.

M - Zesty pleasant carbonation, medium bodied, dry and slightly tannic finsh, and no alcohol. Very refreshing for an 8% beer.

D - Other than the color, this reminded me a little of certain batches of Fantôme (even though that beer doesn't contain guava). I'm told there's no wild yeast used in this beer, but perhaps some snuck in on the fruit skins, as this definitely had some of that character to it. We crushed the 750ml bottle no problem and it was one of the bigger hits of the evening.

MasterSki, Jun 23, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle. No dates. Reviewed 5/22/11.

A giant, orange-tan head explodes out of the bottle, sitting atop a brilliant orange body. Head takes its time settling, leaving a dense cover.

Big sourness on the nose, brett-like. 'Scratch and Sniff' guava aromas, a little artificial smelling, but also exactly what guava smells like. Sour apple and pineapple. The sourness absolutely dominates the nose.

Initial punch of sourness. Wow! Flavors of sour apple, pineapple and to a lesser extent, guava and banana. The bitterness does subside a bit with a couple of sips, and a cracker malt base becomes evident. Some Belgian yeast and lemon sourness starts to come out. Finish has a persisting guava flavor, but again, it's enveloped by sourness.

I've had some sour saisons, but this destroys them all. I was expecting a slightly more sweet flavor profile based on the name, but hey, I'm not complaining. This is a great beer.

litheum94, Jun 23, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer pours a sunset Orange in color with a one finger self destructive head. It smells of lightly sweet guava juice with a light tartness. It actually kind of smells like sweet tarts. The flavor is an in your face acidic fruit juice with a dry yeasty finish. I didn't expect it to be this tart after the initially sweet nose. It's solid but lost between a traditional saison and a true sour, which is fine. Overall its an interesting beer and an interesting drink. Mad props to the random customer who passed on the positive karma.

aasher, Jun 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Pours a mrky orange with an inch head that recedes to a thin layer. Good head retention and lacing.

S- Smells like a sour. Oranges.

T- Whoa, definitely fruits. Guava, oranges and other tropical fruit. Tart, semi-puckering. A cross between a saison and a tame sour.

M- Well carbonated as one might have guess. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- Loved it, as did everyone else. Very different. Mmm mmm. Alcohol was well hidden so I poured myself another. Recommended.

Duff27, Jun 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

750ml bottle poured into my Cigar City snifter.

A - Hazy dark orange with a huge head of densely-packed off-white bubbles. Great retention!
S - Amazing aromas of tart tropical fruit, lemon juice, coriander, and Belgian funk. Kinda reminds me of a tropical Gueuze!
T - More tart tropical fruit with a definite Saison backbone. Notes of sweet bready malt, spicy coriander, banana, and Belgian yeast meld wonderfully with the guava. Finish is long and intense, and actually reminds me of the mouth-puckering sensation you get from an unripe papaya!
M - Very crisp, with a medium body and sharp carbonation. Finish is rather dry, and a bit astringent.
O - Easily the most unique Saison I've ever had! Very well done!

jsanford, Jun 17, 2011