Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

Beer pours a hazy burnt orange color with about half a finger of white head which quickly receded to a thin, wispy layering. Nice looking pour.

Aroma. Wow. Incredibly strong, tropical fruit scents. As soon as you open the bottle, the guava jumps right out at you. Further inhales bring even more tropical fruit, some yeastiness and unfortunately a little astringency around the edges which effectively ruined much of the preceding aroma.

Taste. This is a complex brew. Each sip starts out incredibly tart. It reminds me of eating sweet tarts as a kid. Then tropical fruit becomes the main attraction. In addition to the guava, I'm get a hint of banana as well. Finally, there's touch of Belgian yeasty funk and some sweet malts. Many different layers of flavoring in this one. It's not my favorite tasting beer of all time, but I can certainly appreciate the sophistication of this beer.

Beer is medium bodied and fairly lightly carbonated.

Overall, as I said, the taste just isn't doing it for me. The idea is great and the execution in terms of layering and balance is top notch. Just not hitting it off with my palette.

pburland23, May 08, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at the tasting room in a snifter.
A nice hazed light Orange copper brew with a nice thick ring around the walls.
Smell is saison yeast with a very tart guava backing.
Taste follows the nose but is much bigger, both are such great compliments to each other
Mouthfeel comes off light yet chewy
Overall this is a great summer sipper, may have to get a few bottles.

sliverX, May 07, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Aroma begins with a sour tropical fruit flavor going on, reminds me of a Sour Patch Kid beverage if one existed. I get a lot of sweeter, pineapple and mango flavors to it as well as a prevalent tartness as well as earthiness. Some Belgian yeasty, spice comes through more as it warmed.
The taste starts out with sharp, tart flavors. The same reminiscent pineapple and mango flavors as well are right behind (this must be what guava tastes like, never had one...) As it warms you get more of the Saison yeast flavors. In the finish I get some banana a clove like spice to it.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being medium to high, the higher ABV helps to balance this from being too carbonated or the other way around the Belgian Yeast prevents it from being to sweet/cloying, but I digress. Overall this is a fairly drinkable beer, and one that I will add to my warm weather arsenal; would have no desire for this in the colder months but perfect for right now.

claspada, May 07, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +8%

A bottle split with onix1agr.

A- a slow pour yields a big three fingers of light tan head that billows above the glass and holds there for a good bit before slowly settling but not without leaving a ton of thick foam all around the glass. Hazy copper orange on color with some floaties kicking around.

S- sour peaches and tart tropical fruits galore on top of a good bit of honey sweetness. There's some funk going on in there and reminds me of a flanders at times.

T- nice sweet tart open with lots of fruits and clover honey. There's some dry funk and earthy spice happening with a mild peppery yeast hit. Long tart finish.

M- on the fuller side of medium with a bit syrupy slickness. Light champagne like carb that I absolutely love in this beer. Good pucker.

O- well this is a very tasty brew and I'm totally digging it, that being said its rather far from what I would have expected from a saison. I'm not knocking it I'm just saying.

oglmcdgl, May 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

I had a beertasting yesterday evening with my cousin Bert and his son Michael. After a while Mrs. Brabander joined the tasting. I used small Westvleteren and La Trappe tastinglasses.

I got this beer in a trade last monday with Cheesemoose (Eddie) when we met in Antwerpen. Thanks for this beer Eddie!!

This is good beer with a very special taste. Sourness with little head. Cloudy fluid. When you drink this beer you feel the carbonation explode in your mouth and that is a quit good feeling.

We all tasted some apple in it.

Brabander, May 05, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Smells sour which makes it more like a Flemish sour than a saison with strong Brettanomyces barnyard odors and a guava aroma replacing where one would expect Morellos or raspberries. So in that sense it's more like a fruit lambic.

It creates a massive frothy head that falls down, sustains at about an inch and then reduces to a ring and a thin film . The beer itself is a really nice amber with a honey glow to it.

It tastes more like a fruited lambic as well with acidity from the guava and I suspect there's an infection working here. A little woodsy/earthy in character underneath the sour tropical fruit. There is some black pepper to it and that is one of the few aspects that put this into the saison range. I'm not sure how well that works with the fruits. You'd think it would be a counterpoint to the fruit, but it works with the acid to create a solvent-like sense on the back of the throat. They clash a bit, but this does reduce as it warms.

Very tingly from both acid and carbonation. It's got good body to it, but the astringent solvent at the back of the throat is distracting to the rest of the beer.

My second Cigar City and I have yet to see why they're so lauded. If people reviewed this as a saison I don't think it would have as high an average score as it's too sour for a true saison. However, an American brewery attempting a sour is reason for kudos, especially one as bold as this effort. I'm not entirely resolved to ignore this brewery though as I think I may not have tried their best yet. I can't wait for the stouts to be released later this year.

I raised my original overall score since I feel that this will age well with time. The acid level paired with the 8% ABV should allow this to be able to be lain down for a few years. The acrid flavors should mellow nicely.

Naugros, Apr 24, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

750mL bottle on 4/21/11

Appearance- murky caramel orange in color with a nice 2 finger head. Good lacing, but fell quickly.

Smell- funky guava, barnyard orange blossom, smells great. Smell a little of the acidity, sweet tangerine, and citrus love.

Taste- OMG, reminds me of my childhood, kudos to FLA. Tastes of Guava, bubblegum(funstripes), limeade, Orange Blossom, tangerine, candied kumquat, tart caramel, yumminess!

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel is good. I wish it lingered more. I very special tartness and sharpness.

Overall- I really loved this beer. I can't believe I have waited this long to try it. I will be ISO'ing!!!

GrandCruDrew, Apr 22, 2011

750 ml -> Duvel tulip. Split with my wife after coming home from vacation. She's a huge saison fan so I stocked up on hard-to-find-here brews on a recent trip to the Philly area. Split a bottle with three friends last weekend as well.

A - Murky bright copper, light orange, big fluffy off-white head, thin sticky lacing, moderate carb stream.

S - Smells sour yeasty and fruit tangy, a slight hint of bitterness

T - Big sour and tangy fruit flavors up front, I'd assume it was guava. Creamy fruity sweet middle with a tart finish.

M - Gets the glands pumping saliva, otherwise feel thin to medium bodied, good crisp carb fizz

O - Very enjoyable to sip on in the afternoon or evening after a long day. Despite its tartness it's fairly easy on the palate. Splitting this into three servings would also yield reasonable sized servings. I'd buy again if I could find it. Would like to try different dry-hopped versions.

tbrown4, Apr 20, 2011
2.4/5  rDev -39.7%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Look: hazy orange with a thick, ivory head that has excellent retention and leaves behind layers of lacing in abundance. Good looking saison.

Smell: really not digging this. Hints of guava but not much, and really its quite acidic. Not very inviting in the least.

Taste: am I drinking battery acid? I think so. There's a little bit of guava, for just a fraction of a second, before its washed out with a heavy dose of acid. I'm sorry, but acid at this level is not acceptable in a saison and it isn't pleasant even if it was a different style of beer. The finish is incredibly dry to where I feel I'm drinking an incredibly dry, acidic wine or maybe even vinegar. I can't detect any of the familiar saison tastes that I was hoping to find in here. One of the few beers that I truly have found to be repulsive.

Feel: not really sour so much as it is harshly acidic, lightly carbonated and the alcohol is a bit too apparent.

Drinkability: I really forced myself to get to the bottom of the glass and I definitely wouldnt want another and looking back, I'm surprised I didn't drain pour.

Overall, this beer was not good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm surprised it has been so well received. This is only the second beer I've had from Cigar City and well, I might have a hard time going back if Hunaphu wasn't so incredibly good. I was expecting a saison with a bit of guava added in and well, maybe they overdid the guava. I've already said what there is to say about this one. Very disappointed. I would avoid this. Cheers.

SkunkWorks, Apr 19, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle shared by Dreadnaught33. Thanks Jonathan.

The beer is a hazy orange with a thick, white head that leaves ample lacing on the chalice. The aroma is simply wonderful. A bouquet of citrus and tropical fruits. The flavor is fruity and fantastic. Well balanced with a subtle yeasty quality. Feels great on the palate. Overall, a terrific beer and something I would really enjoy having again.

Huhzubendah, Apr 17, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours with a healthy, tight 3F of off-white (creamsickle) head over a cloudy orange body with plenty of carbonation flowing up the sides.

Aromas are outstanding. From a foot away, it's sweet guava fruits, and as you get closer it's more of your typical saison - plenty of yeasty and sour-funky qualities with a juicy sweetness in the finish.

Another "whoa" moment on the first sip. Thick guava vapors cut nicely by the tight carbonation. Light sour pucker, but overall this one is 50% sweet, 25% sour and 25% barnyard. Delicious fruity finish. Mouthfeel is clean, but a little thicker than some traditional Belgian saisons.

Overall, this is a real winner. Really hope they keep producing it.

BeerImmediately, Apr 17, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks goes out to cyrusthepup for this brew.

750ml
Capped

Pours a very nice cloudy orange/yellow color, very nice carbonation, very nice foamy two-finger plus white head, with some very nice thick/creamy sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice yeast notes, slight pepper note, guava, bananna's, coriander. The taste is very nice, malty, yeasty, a very nice complex brew. Medium Body, this one is not that hot at all, very nice. This is one fine Saison, good job CC.

Wasatch, Apr 17, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Had this bottle on the suggestion of Greg at Pizzaria Paradiso in Dupont Circle (DC). Honestly I rated this as an American Wild with some Saison character instead of being a Saison/Farmhouse Ale as noted above, personally I think the beer is great either way.

A: Dark Orange with chunks of guava floating! This may turn some off but I think it's cool. Bubbly nice head and good lacing.

S: Farmhouse sour citrus and tropical fruits with peach, bright fruits, and a little bit of hay dry grain/malt. Very elegant and balanced, and a wood like overtone to it thats quite nice.

T: Wow, just as expected a guava tinged farmhouse wheat sour. Awesome taste a la Cantillon in it's complexity and balance, love the guava fruit bitter sweet end to the taste. Tropical fruit abounds again with a tinge of oak and vanilla overtone. Great.

M: Great carbonation and light spritzy feel that works great with this beer.

O: Awesome beer the exceeded my expectations. Really digging Cigar City.

Dreadnaught33, Apr 12, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark orange with a two-finger pearl white head. Very tart aroma. Sour green apples, guava, also some wheat and yeast. Flavor follows. Quick tart in your face burst of green apple. Kicking tartness. Guava and tropical fruits follow to a lesser extent which add some sweetness to counter the tart start. Some wheat and spice are up next, to a much lesser extent than your average saison. Finishes mellow with a combination of tartness and guava.

uustal, Apr 09, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3%

Received in my last trade, thanks Rich! Poured from a 750ml into a NB globe. Also my first try at a Saison.

A - A nice gentle pour produced a booming three fingers worth of foamy white head. The beer itself is a nice orange color with a bit of haze. Not a ton of lace, but a nice overall look.

S - A lot of fruits in the nose. I'm getting mostly some green apple and apricot. A nice yeast profile in the aroma as well as a bit of clove.

T - A nice balance of tart and sweetness makes for a really pleasing taste. The guava makes for a very unique flavor. The yeast does a nice job pulling everything together as well.

M - Medium bodied with medium/high carbonation.

O - A good first Saison for me, very interesting and unique flavor that I will aboslutely be revisiting in the future.

BennyL1, Apr 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2%

A very tasty brew indeed. This beer kind of reminded me of my great uncles homemade hard cider. The aroma was super tart smelling and acidic. The flavor was a little tart but mostly sweet, very surprising to say the least. The afterteaste is is fruity kinda like a soft peach flavor. The appearance is rather nice too, it's this orange color that looks appealing with a nice lacy head. An interesting brew without a doubt.

Knapp85, Apr 06, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Pours a cloudy orange with a light, lacy head. Smells of tart fruit and tastes just the same... guava, bananas, little bit of flowery hops. Slightly tart but nicely balanced by a bit of malt in the background. Great example of a saison with some fruitiness to balance it out.

MufflnMan, Apr 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3%

A: Flat hazed out orange in color. Forms a small, fizzy head that reduces to just a whiff of white streaks across the top of the beer. No lacing.

S: Delicious and pungent. Tropical fruits and a blend of yeastiness and tartness.

T: Sweet blend of malt and tropical fruits: guava, apple, soursop, whatever. A bit spicy on the finish.

M: Light and crisp; quite refreshing and slightly spicy.

D: Maybe not an entirely traditional version of a Saison, but a interesting and thoroughly enjoyable take on the style.

Florida9, Apr 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing this bottle over! Turned into an excellent night of Cigar City brews.

Pours a cloudy, muted-orange. Nice, foamy white head with good lacing.

Sweet, fruity guava and earthiness on the nose. Seems like a little bit of sour lacto is coming through. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it fits well with the rest of the nose. Light, grassy hops.

Sweet, rustic guava on the tongue. Earthy notes with a touch of lacto sourness. Fruit acidity. Sweet and fruity. Quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, but somewhat grainy. Good carbonation with slight acidity throughout.

Overall, this is one tasty saison. The guava plays well with the base beer and it goes down easy. I would definitely recommend this if you like some sweetness or fruit presence in your saisons. Hopefully I can get a taste of the Jolly Guava sometime in the near future.

sisuspeed, Apr 04, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +15.1%

I bought the last one at TRT. Poured into a tulip. Very hazy amber color.Thick off white colored heading that tiny bubbles all throughout. Tremendous lacing.

I am glad I didn't read to much into this one as I was very surprised. Extremely tart. Notes of sour apples,guava,peach just makes you think of tropical Florida fruits.

Taste starts off with a quick hit of juiciness.Then followed up with a somewhat grainy funkiness. Always dancing in the background is the sourness with a nice hot booziness just smacking the palate.Leaves a crisp sting on the palate and leaves a slight acidic and spicey note on the tongue.

Mouth is medium bodied,fantastic carbonation,crisp,clean and leaves a nice linger of spicey pepper.

Tremendous sour beer. I just hope they can produce more of this to make it a flagship beer.

TheFightfan1, Apr 02, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Poured with quite a booming head. The beer resembles apple cider in color and opacity. Looking very unfiltered here. Almost a glowing copper color.

S: Aroma is very tart and resembles a Russian River sour. Huge smell of lemon, cherries, mango and of course the guava. Nice notes from the yeast as well, banana comes through with some funk. Nice pairing of must and citrus. Very unexpected.

T: Begins sweet and ends very tart. Definitely a mouthful of citrus. Pineapple and grapefruit. Sweet and sour fruits. Great notes from the yeast again of banana and some spice. Really was not expecting this level of astringency in this one. Definitely not a bad thing to say the least.

M: Feels full bodied and ends very dry and tart. Very interesting beer. Almost a curveball in a glass.

D: For how tart this beer is, the underlying sweetness makes it easily drinkable. The crisp and dry finish is quite enjoyable and the carbonation seems to be at an appropriate level. Very nice.

kiddynamite920, Apr 02, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +8%

Reviewing from notes. Traded with Jefe73 for this one. 750ml bottle split into two wine glasses

A: Peach colored, opaque. Lots of active carbonation. Leaves a 1 finger bubbly white head. Very minimal lacing

S: Inviting peach/guava/mango aroma greets me initially. Good amount of tartness coming through. Seems like this is lambic-lite

T: As noted in the smell, good amount of tartness is present, which I guess I wasn't expecting. Definitely a good thing though. Tropical fruit medley, grapefruit juice and strawberry yougart are all brought to mind. Some barnyard and I swear I tasted a subtle amount of vanilla too

M: Medium bodied. Crisp, refreshing. Good carbonation. Tart, dry finish

D: This one caught me off guard. Very delicious beer. Unexpected tartness combined with a good, but not overdone fruit flavor. Seek this out

Brez07, Mar 31, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -11.3%

A solid, but not overly aggressive pour produces a three-finger thick, pale-amber, tan colored head. The beer is an amber color that shows a huge carbonation and an almost clear, light amber-copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of tropical fruit, strawberry-like acetic acid, tart kiwi, perhaps a touch of acetone, a doughy malt character (freshly rising sourdough) some cracker like malt towards the finish, some musty pale grain character, some spiciness that seems distinctly like green peppercorns as well as woody black pepper. The nose is quite a bit different than I expected, it has lots of tartness to it (including an atypical acetic character).

Somewhat tart up front and it has a prickly acetic sourness to it that lightly influences the middle and finish; the acetic accentuates a strawberry and kiwi like character that is likely also accentuated by the guava. The finish has some acetone notes to it that intermingles with the acetic character. The acetone really lingers on the palate along with a musty, sort of fungal like notes. There is just a touch of sweetness to this beer up front, but it is consumed by the light tartness found in this beer. The body of this is quite a bit more viscous than one would guess (given that this is fairly dry), it has a density to it that makes it seem medium bodied. This is only somewhat balanced by an aggressive, prickly carbonation that almost seems to struggle to escape from the beer as it rolls across the tongue. There seems to be an almost vegetal like note to this beer that is perhaps better described as watermelon rind; this might be the same as the acetone character and I wonder how much of both of these are being contributed by the guava. There seems to be a hint of caramelized malt towards the finish at times that has a touch of biscuit like grain character, but both of these are actually fairly fleeting.

This is definitely a strange beer; I get the feeling this is quite variable from batch to batch. The acetic acidity is a bit out of place, even though it is relatively soft; actually a lactic tartness would have worked really nice here (and would have been more in line with the other Saison notes). This beer is certainly enjoyable, but the acetic and the viscous body make this a bit of a departure from the type of Saisons that I usually prefer (dry, some times lactic tart); the viscous character must be coming from the Guava (or some wild bug). The label is certainly correct in that this beer has some unique flavors to it.

Gueuzedude, Mar 26, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Lost Abbey stemware. Lots of dense foam to it, so much that the glass is nearly all foam after the first pour. After waiting for it to settle some the beer was a murky orange color.

The aroma has kind of a sour tropical fruit flavor going on. I get a lot of sweeter, pineapple like flavors to it as well as a sour, tart, earthy flavor. Some yeasty, spice flavors came through more as it warmed. Very cool mix of flavors.

The taste starts out with some of the sharp, tart flavors. The fruity, pineapple, mango, sweetness comes in midway. In the finish I get some banana a clove like spice to it. The guava is really cool and good.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being high. Overall it was a pretty solid beer. The sour and tart flavors mixed very well together and helped balance each other. I really liked the fruity, guava flavors it had. Very enjoyable beer to sip on this evening.

billab914, Mar 24, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours out a really cloudy brown with lots and lots of tan suds. Great head here for sure.
Smell is sour bretts. Like a sour apple cider with a cinnamon stick thrown in for good measure.
Taste is spicy and malty with a good hint of sour. Don't know what a guava taste like but this is more of a sour apple flavor. Very good. You can't tell the Alcohol % as it is very well hidden.
Mouthfeel is just a tad sticky but the bitterness cleanses the palate for the next anticipated sip.
This is my first rating with the new OVERALL rating system. Overall, this one obliterates!

peabody, Mar 20, 2011