Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
regspeir

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this thanks to Tim and Dan at Pinocchio's.
Pours light golden orange with a large white head with good staying power. Lacing isn't heavy, kinda' soapy. The nose is sour tropical fruit, spices like pepper, clove, yeast and some funk. Taste is tropical fruit, some sourness and some hops and yeast The guava is there, albeit faint. The mouthfeel is a bit on the thinner side of medium, creamy with heavy carbonation. 8% abv is certainly not what I would have guessed. Although certainly not my favorite Cigar City offering, it was interesting and I will try it again.

07-10-2010 22:19:51 | More by regspeir
emerge077

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

Thanks to Ktrillionaire for the opportunity to try this. Batch 2 growler, decanted into a champagne flute.

Peachy coloration, hazy, glowing with yellow orange sunshine rays. Slow trails of carbonation feed the patchy skim on top, while flecks of spotty lace form on the glass. It maintains a sticky collar at the edges for the duration.

Leafy stemmed fruit, with a heavy, earthy guava presence that dominates over everything else.

Massive fruit flavor in this, low carb too, approaching a nearly viscous nectar. Sweet and savory, not quite tart, succulent with a very soft feel and dominant fruit flavors from the guava. Earthy fruit pith, very pleasant. So quenching and perfect for summer or any weather. I could drink much more of this...

07-10-2010 00:08:24 | More by emerge077
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

Ahh...Guava Grove! I have wanted to try you for a long time. Grabbed this one first thing in the afternoon to start the day off right! Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/03/2010.

Beautiful pour here. The look and consistency of pineapple juice with that thick, almost pulpy look to it. Small head of white initially is not terribly impressive but then builds into a nice two finger tower that survives for the better part of the session. Rich fruit notes overwhelm the senses with pulpy fruit, hints of peppery spices, nice notes of light grain and a lovely grassy, herbal like feel to it. Really very well done here. Clean, very smooth, and a bit slick of a feel going forward. Flavor does not come at me as big as I would have thought given the nose, but it is still quite impressive. Soft grains and bready notes build with hints of spice before being splashed with tropical fruits and notes of light grasses. Slightly dry and tart finish is whisked away quickly and I am left with a big smile.

Overall very, very good example of the style here and another winner from CCB. Would do this one again any day.

07-09-2010 23:12:15 | More by mikesgroove
ccrida

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml bottle (thx Dstructo!) that I've cellered for a few months, waiting for an absurdly hot day like today. Apparently lack of punt indicates this is the original batch? Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Guava Grove is a hazy dull orange with a very large, sticky head, a bit meringue like, leaving big chunks of foamy lace. A bit of an overfoamer when opened at cellar temperature.

Smell is fairly classic saison, mineral laden citrus, but with a fleshy fruit component that is surely the guava.

Taste is pretty good, nice pithy saison, spicy, perhaps a hint of brett, and the gauva providing a citrus component that flirts with being overripe.

Mouthfeel is really nice and finely carbonated, although I perceive a fibrous quality that pushes it into medium bodied territory.

Drinkability is pretty good, straddling the fruit beer experimental quality with classic saison characteristics that I cherish.

07-08-2010 01:57:16 | More by ccrida
ktrillionaire

This review is long, long overdue... I have guzzled so many bottles of Guava Grove, and it is perhaps my favorite beer.

This is a review of the first batch of Guava Grove bottles; they can be differentiated by the fact that they are in champagne bottles without a punt (kick-up) on the bottom. Newer CCB bottles have punts.

This initial iteration of Guava Grove, however, is likely never going to be reproduced. There are several reasons for that:

1. Subsequent batches have a tweaked recipe, changing the grain bill and the bittering hop.

2. It is fermented in a different type of vessel now.

3. The yeast culture used to brew it has 'evolved' over the past few years and imparts slightly different character.

So, old Guava Grove, here we go again...

A - Beautiful Champagne-like effervescence and sparkling clarity on the first pour, settling in to a nice eggshell head and spotty lace that crowns a peachy-goldenrod translucent body, replete with multiple bubble-streamers, continuing to feed the head.

S - The smell is so dry and tart; it is the definition of sublime. Although this is not a wild or sour beer, and is not infected with any bugs whatsoever, it tastes like a very sophisticated wild-sour brew. Not in-your-face, baby-vomit, cat-piss, horse-blanket, rancid-vinegar sour; it is just tart enough to add another real dimension of complexity. It seems that the fruit, as it has dried out with age, has begun to mimic much of the pleasurable fruity elements generally imparted by Brett and Co.

T - The mouthfeel is the first thing that I notice about the taste; the sharpness of the carbonation fully enhances the taste from the get-go by compounding the sensational aspects of the tartness imparted by the guava and the dryness and astringency of the base malt-hop fusion. Additionally, there are some pleasurable Champagne nuances as well as guava-peach-mango sour-sweet fruitiness expressed in a very reserved manner.

M - Perfect.

D - I have cracked so many of these at tastings over the past year, it has never once failed to impress. Indeed, on many occasions it stole the show. A phenomenal beer; a masterpiece. And this particular bottle I am finishing now is not only one of the very few that remain(ed) out there; it is also one of the best I've opened.

07-03-2010 19:10:24 | More by ktrillionaire
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

After some noontime yardwork on what feels like the first sunny day in EVER, something 'springy' and 'Belgian-y' sounds pretty nice. Poured first to a pint glass, next to a tulip. I've had this bottle, a heavy brown 750ml, for several months ~ ever since Sebletitje sent it cross-country ~ and it's chilled in the fridge ever since.

'Malt Beverage Brewed with Guava [...one of Tampa's favored fruits...]'

A: Pffft, went the cap. Golden and clear pour (to start) with the vaguest trace of copper orange; later pours are a deeper hue with a milkier tranlucency. Head is tall, a 2-finger pile of ivory fizz that drops by about half to a dense cream but never fades away. Resplendent with carbonation, lively cascades billow throughout. Generous rings of clumped foam for lacing.

S: Fruit is evident right away: it's a whiff of tropical guava (may not have been able to identify it if not for the name - *spoiler alert*) and a tang. That tang is a less identifiable orchard medley: some orange and tangerine, a squeeze of lime, even peach and apple.

T: Certainly malty, a yeast roll or dry shortbread paired with tart-ish fruit. Less citrus than the nose led on: more pith or rind than anything, backed by fuller berry/earthy notes, even white grape. Has a 'brett-y' dry spice/tongue-curl thing going on, a faintly medicinal finish.

M: Crisp, effervescent mouthfeel - bright and lively. Maybe a medium body for the style. Little, if any, trace of the weighty 8% abv. Smoother finish.

D: Far too easy to drink any day, whether on a dreary soaker (like the one last winter when this arrived) or on a sun-drenched beauty like today. Delicious, worth seeking, I'd love to have again...yadda yadda yadda... Thanks Seb!

06-05-2010 20:17:14 | More by msubulldog25
azorie

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

This is a strange brew I had a year ago and it was alright then, then I had it on cask/draft, then I just bought more. The is the 4th time I had this beer, it grows on me. While I hate the fact its a fruit /saison cross, I have to admit now I love this beer.

A: I poured at 45f into a tulip. Light orange to yellow bright copper color with a solid 1" pale off white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

S: is very good, nice fruit and malt, yeast hits you first. I be honest I got a Guava fruit to taste and either my nose is whacked or the process of fermentation changes the flavors, anyway I get orange, tart pineapple and mango more than I get guava, but if they say its got guava the who am i to disagree. Bottom line it smells fantastic, a great summer beer, not that I am into that stuff but it works.

T: Lots of malt, yeast, fruit of various types, its a complex blend. Very tart at first and finished sweet, nice kick from the booze. Mild kick for the hops. Not to bitter. Very lanced beer.
Not to style IMHO, but it grows on yea, the more I dink the more I like it. almost need a new style fruit sasion, LOL. I kid.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

D: Simply OUTSTANDING beer, more please..

Overall this is another great beer form the master of Tampa, CCB, i salute you guys.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

06-02-2010 15:22:29 | More by azorie
GbVDave

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Boulevard tulip. Thanks to corby112 for this from our most recent trade!

A: Pours a perfectly hazy, glowing peach color with a towering and bubbly light tan head on top that reaches about 4 fingers and crackles like Rice Crispies. Carbonation is extremely abundant and works to feed the head well. Needless to say, retention is excellent. This one left more lace sheeting in the glass than I've seen in ages.

S: Initial aroma was sour and funky. Like damp grandma's basement funk. As it warmed I detected layers of guava, clementine, peach, red apple, lemon, and maybe a delicate dallop of vinegar?

T: Same as above. I liked how the tart faded ever so slightly as it warmed, and allowed more of a savory sweet fruitiness to florish. Also, a definite clove and ripe banana tag team made their presence felt as the bottle wore on. Picked up a tiny bit of grass clippings near the end of the bottle.

M: Started off tangy, tart, and a little dry and funky. Finishes with a fantastic bit of citric acid twang. Dry hoppy bitterness and not quite ripe tropical fruit tanginess linger on the tongue for a while.

D: Very, very enjoyable. I loved how this tasted like the part of the guava that's closest to the rind. Slightly sweet with a definite tart and tangy edge.

05-29-2010 00:33:46 | More by GbVDave
Beerzebub

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Thanks ktrillionaire!

Poured in a big wine glass at 54F.

Hazy golden-orange color. Very active carbonation, and a massive yellowish head that crackles audibly. The head slowly melts into a round sticky hill, leaving plenty of thick gloppy lace clinging to the glass.

Big aroma of tart tropical fruit, similar to fruit leather but fresher, with underlying earth and spice. The fruit is the star here, it smells delicious.

Tastes fruity, dry, with a burst of medium level tartness. Extremely refreshing. Reminds me of melon close to the rind, where it's not sweet - but in a very good way. The tartness fades. Moderately long finish of earthy and clove-y yeast, with only a ghost of the fruit in the background, and some earthy claylike astringency, extremely dry.

The texture is light, with crackling carbonation and crisp acidity. Extremely refreshing, and the very dry finish leaves me immediately thirsty for more.

Very enjoyable. This would be perfect for a hot day.

Cheese pairing note: I tried this with a Bucheron, and it wasn't very successful. The beer's acidity seemed to diminish in the presence of the acidic goat cheese. This cheese needs a beer with more acidity.

05-25-2010 07:25:41 | More by Beerzebub
jlindros

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Got this bad Larry thanks to msulinski. Tough to find a time to have a 750ml, but had a long night tonight so here goes.

A: A loud thwop signals a nice carbonation as I pop the top. A super large very fizzy head rises even as I try to pour it slowly. it rises 3+ fingers in my oversized snifter. It fades semi slowly with Belgian head of lots of fluffy left around and parts collapse on itself. Its a semi clear golden orange nectar colored beer.

N: The nose has some funk, barnyard saison funk, a little dry brett like aromas. Some light Belgian malts, perhaps some wheat, malted spices like a saison. Some fruit, perhaps guava but tropical fruit like aromas. Somewhat sweet and juicy fruits.

T: Starts again with some light funky wild yeast, a little barnyard funk, Brett, spicy and toasty malts, some Belgian like malts with quite a bit of a saison flavor. Some juicy fruit with all that, light tropical fruits, not very heavy on the fruits, more wild Brett funky saison, but not too funky, dry, or barnyard. Pretty dry overall as well. Quite fizzy as well. Slightly sour and tangy fruit as well, which comes on more late on the taste and into the finish. A touch of sweet juicy fruit flavors.

M: Lighter body with ridiculous amounts of carbonation.

F: Still pretty dry, more lingering barnyard funk with malty saison flavors lingering, quite spicy with a touch of alcohol burn. A touch of the tropical fruit also sticks around with some flemmy feel and taste. A touch of tangy sour fruit lingers late too.

05-16-2010 01:21:22 | More by jlindros
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -15.3%

Beernerd81 threw this beer in as an extra in our recent trade, which was awesome because it is a beer I really wanted to try.

First of all, when I opened Guava Grove the cap come off with a pop and a hiss that were absolutely explosive in sound. This sudden burst of noise was followed by a little bit of beer-overflow, but just a bit. The body is a dark orange color that is very cloudy. The head is massively tall, with a consistency similar to cappuccino froth. Retention is great, and some nice patterns of thick, sticky lacing are left behind.

Guava Grove saison has a very distinctive aroma. A hearty sourness is the strongest component, but it mixes with guava and other tropical-type fruits, including banana and maybe even a bit of pineapple. There is also a hint of a peppery smell that reminds me of coriander or clove.

Guava Grove begins with a very promising sourness that is quite tart for a saison. The sourness slowly melds with a big dose of guava, and even some clementine and apricot. I'm pretty surprised by how well the guava flavor expresses itself, because I thought it wouldn't translate well. Also, the pineapple I thought I picked up in the aroma is nowhere to be found. After the tartness and original blast of fruit is some banana and then a malt flavor that is a little more powerful than I would expect in a saison. Next, the slightly peppery flavor in the aroma tastes like clove instead of coriander, and at this point I notice a little bit of warmth from the alcohol. This beer is great...until the finish that is. The sourness and fruit flavors were great, but the finish has a powerful, metallic flavor that reminds me of the iron that you can pick out in the taste of blood. The rest of the beer is so nice that this finish isn't enough to completely destroy it for me, but it definitely hurts Guava Grove a lot. I have to say that the less I let the beer linger on my palate, the less I notice the off-flavor, but I don't think I should feel the need to chug a saison.

The mouthfeel is pretty good for a saison. The body has a moderate feel and the carbonation is ramped up so that it blossoms on the tongue.

Guava Grove saison is my first beer from Cigar City Brewing, and I definitely see some potential. Enough that I will check out another offering or two if I get the chance. I love the sourness and the fruit, but the off-tasting metallic finish is bad. Guava Grove is half a great beer, and half a bad one. I find myself looking forward to another sip, but also slightly regretting it as it goes down.

05-05-2010 00:37:18 | More by Hojaminbag
KeefD

3.63/5  rDev -9%

Hazy peach color with a large white head which lasted the entire glass. Pleasant aroma of tropical fruit, some grassiness, and a touch of hops on the back end of the nose. Taste follows suit. There's a nice tartness to the guava, but also gives off flavors of peach and orange. Base saison is well-made, with decent dry, yeastiness on the finish. Carbonation is overbearing at first, needed a lot of swirling of the glass. A good tasting saison, and I had no trouble drinking even though saisons aren't my favorite style.

05-02-2010 21:05:49 | More by KeefD
ffejherb

3.95/5  rDev -1%

750ml bottle shared with brewslut and KRAMER17801 on 4/9/10.

A - Poured a hazy cantaloupe-colored body with some chunky residue suspended throughout and a bright, bubbly head that sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies. Head eventually settled into a quarter inch of foam.

S - Tropical fruit is apparent - think passion fruit, papaya and kiwi - although there is also a prevalent spicy character suggesting clove and light peppery notes. Yeast provides a spicy counterpart to the sweet malt base.

T - Like the aroma, this Saison boasts a pleasant tropical fruit flavor and, while I'm not 100% sure what guava tastes like, I'm sure it's quite tropical. A hint of caramel malt sweetness opens up in the middle. Slight earthy, musty quality in the backend.

M - Intense, lively carbonation with a very bristly, crisp mouthfeel and syrupy texture. Hint of tartness on the palate with residual sweetness.

D - Nice sweet nectar of a beer with fruity character and a Belgian yeast flair.

04-22-2010 00:46:18 | More by ffejherb
maximum12

3.23/5  rDev -19%

Thanks again to moose3285 for the steady, tasty stream of Cigar City brews flowing north on the map. Marvelous to always have a stock of CC brew at the ready on any given evening!

Ooh, we have a lively one. Foam rises slowly & majestically up the neck & over the edge of the bottle as I pour. Light golden. Smell is funk with a healthy side of tropical fruits.

Guava Grove might be the first CC beer that is actually a bit disappointing. The promise of a unique & fruity saison offered up via the nose doesn't really shine through. An underwhelming combination of yeastiness & funk dominates. The fruit/guava makes a Casper-esque appearance, but flashes out too quickly.

Sipping quality is hindered by rampant bubbling; way overcarbonated. The finish is dry, dry, dry & appropriate for the style.

Pretty good beer, but for a brewery that has pumped out fanstastic beer after marvelous beer, it's a let down. A standard saison.

04-08-2010 02:36:19 | More by maximum12
Pencible

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

This poured a slightly hazy gold with moderate white head. It smelled like white grapes and guava and sweet honey and grapefruit and wild Belgian yeast, with some tart green apple and a bit of mango or papaya. It tasted like tart guava and wild Belgian yeast and sour apple, with some honey and candi sugar. It was thin with lots of carbonation, and had a sour aftertaste. Overall this had a very nice complex scent, with a clean and sour flavor. The guava added an interesting element that complemented the sour taste well. However, the body was too fizzy for me, and made it more difficult to savor the taste. This was otherwise a nice sipping beer, with well hidden alcohol, well balanced, and generally quite enjoyable.

03-26-2010 19:50:25 | More by Pencible
crossovert

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Watch out it's a gusher!

It pours with a MASSIVE head. IT is fun to make designs with each pour creating a mountain like head. One of te more impressive looking Saisons. The beer is a milky honey color. THe head lasts and lasts.

The smell is absolutely amazing. Hints of funk and sour citrus but with an overlay of sweet guava. The yeast adds a bit of twang. Smells exotic, tropical, and beautiful.

The taste is also very good, missing the total massive hit of Guava i wanted but it is there. A guava lambic style next? The malts and saison flavor come out big tie in the flavor, with a bit extra funk than the norm, and it is great. The guava is more subtle but it blends with the citrus and some banana creating a torpical delight. The malt flavor could be more subdued or sweeter and that would give this one a 5 for flavor. The yeast and malt dominate the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is, you guessed it, highly carbonated, which works well with fruity beers and doesn't really detract form this one. There is a lot of stickiness surprisingly.

This is a pretty good beer, my first from this brewery, they are doing some innovative things and it has caught my intrigue.

01-22-2010 23:20:10 | More by crossovert
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

Appearance- This beer poured a nice golden orange color with a nice white head which stuck around for a nice bit. Lacing was present throughout.

Smell- Wow. Nice sour aroma with hints of citrus and guava.

Taste- Once again. WOW! The taste is similar to the aroma with a nice sourness with hints of fruit and citrus. Very nice funkiness too it! Very Gueze like in its character.

Mouthfeel- Has a nice medium body with medium high carbonation.

Overall- Thank god for Cigar City. Now we have two awesome breweries in Florida. Saint Somewhere and these guys! This beer is a must try. Can't wait to have easier access here in the Panhandle.

12-11-2009 02:39:40 | More by Beerbuddha
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

acquired from mullenite in a trade , Thanks M

Poured a hazy straw to marigold orange tinge with a huge head. When I popped the cap, it had a funk smell, stronger than I had envisioned. Smelled extremely sweet, barnyard, fresh guava, slight booze aroma.

Tasted just as it smelled, strong barn funk, strong guava, sweet but not overpowering from the fruit essences. It was easy to figure out where the lines for Bolita Brown ended up contaminating the bottles during bottling. This funk was pretty powerful, although I have not had a ton, but the funky barnyard taste is really good with guava, have to admit.

Medium to heavy mouthfeel, lots of carbonation, possibly better to let this one sit for a few minutes to settle down.

A very tasty brew, Definitely one of the favorite Saisons that I have had. Definitely the first Farmhouse Saison that I have had, which added to the complexity and my enjoyment

11-25-2009 00:16:06 | More by alpinebryant
Nickls

District of Columbia

(From notes - generously shared by Rciesla on HIS birthday, really good guy)

A - Pours with a half-finger of white foamy head; hazy light burnt orange color

S - Little bit of fruitiness and you do actually catch some guava; a little spicy; little tart and funky too

T - A little sour, a little hoppy; touch of funk; zesty citrus and fruits; interesting stuff

M - Thinner and very vibrant carbonation

D - Delicious and interesting drinking, could have taken down a whole 750 without any trouble

Interesting brew, and certainly one of the more unique in the style that I've had to-date.

11-19-2009 20:07:56 | More by Nickls
ThreeWiseMen

4.55/5  rDev +14%

Got this in a recent trade with my favorite trading buddy, fogdog. Thanks a ton Kevin! Can't wait to get my hands on some more Cigar City stuff!

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Huge, soft head piles up even after a gentle pour. Head is eggshell-colored, loose, and long-lasting. As it slowly decays it leaves layers of bubble bath-like lacing on the walls of the glass. Body is super cloudy and caramel-colored.

Smell: Odd vinegar/Brett-like aromas come through first - a very nice surprise. Guava hints emerge in the back and complement the sourness well. Very light hay-like maltiness. Smells more like a wild ale than a sour, and I like it!

Taste: Nice Brett sourness and red wine vinegar upfront with hints of guava in the back. Oddly though, the first sip finished very rusty. After that however, the rust disappeared and farmhouse funkiness and malt took took over. In the end, the beer would start with tropical fruit and mild sourness and finish kinda funky and malty. Pretty mellow overall. Mellow and lovely.

Mouthfeel: Soft and creamy with effervescent carbonation. Medium bodied with a mildly sour, mildly dry finish. Slight mouth-numbing.

Drinkability: Excellent twist on the style. I absolutely loved it!

11-07-2009 02:13:09 | More by ThreeWiseMen
KickbacksSteve

4.78/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip. Head is pillowy and fluffy and slowly vanishes after hanging around just long enough to show off. Lacing is soapy and lovely. Aroma is pungent, funky sour, some citrus (guava I assume) and some spiciness. Taste is sour, a touch sweet, fruity and just delicious. No way this is 8%. NO way. Wow.

11-07-2009 00:48:46 | More by KickbacksSteve
ryrust5301

Louisiana

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

What a blend of saison and fruit lambic! A dark gold color with a hefty white head. Smells of tropical fruit, especially guava, mixed in with banana and a soft belgian yeast. Taste has a light funk to it which only adds to the fruit taste. Very soft feel to it with a sweet finish. I'll definitely have to drink this one again.

10-29-2009 20:03:01 | More by ryrust5301
IBUnit63

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

markwise was good enough to supply this via trade - many thanks to the dude from Florida. Into a Duvel tulip after a moderate pffft of the cap...

Well, there's a very nice head on this - about a finger and a half. Rustic light honey body with very active carbonation. This looks like a very good new world saison.

I may only catch a light essence of guava but this is an awesome-smelling Saison. A fair amount of funk tops off the huge yeast electricity here. With warmth the guava quickly emerges. Carbonation gives the whole package a spritely lift.

Just really a solid Saison, complete with all the sweaty funk of a prototypical yeast strain for this style. It's easy to pick up the pulpiness of the guava in here, too. Slight hop pine, lots of salty carbonation. Pretty complex. There's a distinct clean sour note in there as well.

Saisons are interesting to open cold and let relax for a while, because the change from front to back shows such a wide swing...yet if they're done right, the beer is enjoyable in a different way at each temperature level. Even after only a few minutes, this begins to expand the level of sweaty funk...all the while utilizing the tartness and mealiness of the guava to brighten it up. Minimal hop profile here, so it's very clean. Almost a couple of Berliner Weisse tendencies are on deep background, but the electricity and spriteliness of the yeast strain keep this on style.

This one's pretty damn contemplative. Opened it very cold, but it's getting its legs quickly. Guava or no guava, this is a solid new world Saison (not exceptionally hopped, but hops do emerge after a bit of warmth). Just a little brighter, deeper and spritelier than the average bear. I am savoring the living hell out of this.

10-21-2009 02:16:29 | More by IBUnit63
NeroFiddled

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

$9.99 at Leuken's Big Town Liquors, Dunedin, Florida.

Wow! I wasn't expecting this! It's tart and fruity, almost like a geuze. And the Guava flavor is great! It's fresh and bright, and most importantly, unique!

It pours a hazy brass-orange body beneath a more than full-sized head of white foam that seems to hold forever, and leaves some very nice lacing as it goes. Obviously, the plumes of tiny bubbles rising from below are helping to bolster the head, and in fact, left alone for a moment, it seems to have started to rise out of the glass!

The aroma is fruity, and, shall we say, guava-like? It's a bit tart, but there's also that juicy sweet and lightly citrusy fruitiness - it's musky and pungent. I'm thinking of ripening citrus fruit in a damp cardboard box in a slightly musty basement. MMM!

The flavor follows suit, and it rocks back and forth between the sweet juiciness and the kind of tangy, earthy, and musty quality it has. The malt is just a springboard as all of the flavor is wrapped up in the fruitiness. (Now I get some papaya!). And the bitterness is appropriately low-level.

It's medium-bodied and effervescent in the mouth, initially leaving quite a bristle on the tongue. It warms and softens a bit, but it still holds a little bit of welcome bite that, in conjunction with the tartness, helps to soften the fruity sweetness.

Apart from its uniqueness (which I think alone makes it worth seeking out), it's also very well put-together and balanced, combining syrupy/juicy fruitiness with tartness, and a chalky and musty edge in just the right proportions. It's a little bit odd, a little bit sweet, and a little bit chalky and drying all at once - the perfect combination for late afternoon sipping as the sun goes down! It reminds me in many ways of a Belgian geuze, or an American Brettanomyces ale, or even a Berliner weisse. And I think it has many options - backyard BBQ beer in the summer, or a seasonal ale paired with certain foods; a dessert beer; a late night sipper; etc. If I can find any of this locally I'll bring a few bottles to my family's Thanksgiving dinner!!! Wonderfully done!!!

This is a beer that deserves more notice!!!

10-20-2009 01:10:02 | More by NeroFiddled
Brenden

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Many thanks to RomaniIteDomum for this one, the crux of my bounty from a good trade and by no means a disappointment.

What pours into my glass is a deep brew the color of burnished copper with a thick, dense, firm head that stays around for a long time, remains strong, and leaves moderate lacing behind.
Guava is most noticeable in the aroma, and it's neither too strong nor too sweet. It's simply pure guava, complimented by an earthy slight but unoffensive funk I hear from trustworthy sources is ( like) brett, which also contributes a palatable sourness. There's a subtly sweet tartness with a note of yeast as well.
There are lots of complexities on the tongue. Regardless, the guava is the prominent flavor. There's a great balance of flavors as a not unpleasant sourness gives way to something tart then something just lightly sweet and some yeast and malt, and all the way a grassy and earthy sort of flavor lingers.
The mouthfeel is great. Carbonation is moderate and adds a crisp bite, but there's a great balancing smoothness that makes for a rich feel in a medium body.
This is a tasty brew and an interesting foray into brewing. It's simply a very good saison with guava.

10-14-2009 23:38:37 | More by Brenden