Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

1st cigar city brew big thanks to dimenhetfield for this great trade. Pour is not so great for a saison, even with a hard pour. No real head, kinda murky looking and opaque dirty straw tan color. Smell is nice however, unique, a little sour smelling and fruity. I don't know if there is Brett in this beer but there should be (thats what it smells like at least). The flavor is also nice. Very fruity and yeasty, slightly funky flavored like a little hay and straw. Guava is surly there. Prolongued kinda fruity sour aftertaste but not bad. Good mouthfeel, its a dry and sour aftertaste, the beer itself is a little flat and stale in your mouth but somehow works for the flavors. The flavors in this beer don't really yield it to be that sessionable but I am so happy to have tasted it. I would have it again if I could. And oh yeah-reviewed as part of my summer saison saturday thing.

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

I've had this guy a few times in bottles but I wanted to wait to write the review when I had it on tap. Served in a 6 oz snifter it poured a bright yellow. Good white head on top. The smell hits with a pungent ripe fruit smell. The one that tilts your head back a little. I went straight in for the kill though. The taste is glorious. The guava and the saison style should get married. I really like this beer. nice ripe guava, and mango flavors, with a little bit of the bitterness really made for a fun start at the tasting room.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to dimenhetfield for this one! My first Cigar City beer!

750mL crown capped brown-glass champagne bottle. No date.

Pours a murky amber orange color with some soapy white head that falls quickly. Not a super pretty beer.

Nose: Kinda stinky, really! Smells like a tripel mashed with a saison plus some tropical notes that make me think of "wild ales." Don't think it's infected, though. Just actually has tropical fruit in it! The guava is present on the nose and maybe dried apricot or dried mango. Some peppery spice notes from the yeast too.

Palate: Tart and tasty with tropical notes a-plenty! Apricot, guava, mango. Drier than I expected. White pepper spice and a little woodiness on the texture. Medium-bodied with a pleasantly sweet and tart finish.

Notes: Guava makes a great addition to a saison. I'm a believer.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

750ml bottle poured into tulip glass

A-Pours a shade of apricot with a grainy bleached white head. A decent amount of bubbles rise to the top holding up the head that's leaving thin sheets of lace that look like spiderwebs.

S-smells like a plethora of fruits-over ripe apples mild banana and sweet guava. Also a mild belgianish scent as well. Hints of spice as well.

T-This is a great Saison. There is an instant fruit sweetness that reminds me of cider made from green apples. Next is immediate sour like tart sour apples. Guava is apparent throughout the beer but the sour overlaps it in the end. Guava Grove also has a sweet and clean finish that increases drinkability. As the bar warms it only becomes more balanced. The sour becomes more mild and the sweet fruit flavors of apples and guava shine through. All and all the balance is near perfect. Alcohol is completely non existent.

M- The mouhtfeel has a slick feeling too it. The mouthfeel seems to be the weakest part of this beer. By no means is it lacking or sub par. But I feel that for a beer this good it good be better. The carbonation is dead on I just feel that even after warming the mouthfeel is still a little too thin.

D-The drinkability is stellar. After a small amount of warming this beer is soo balanced and smooth as well as flavorful and intricate. By far my favorite saison.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

Pours a very hazy amber with two finger creamy offwhite head. Smell: musty, sweet, earthy, my expectation of champagne soaked banana, nifty. Taste: yeah definitely get the guava, imo like an acidic papaya, tart almost vinegary but with a background sweetness. Very interesting, very fruity but one of the tartest saisons I've had. Pretty good, I'd definitely try it again... would actually be great for cooking but I'd rather drink it.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

A big cheers goes out to ShadesOfGray for this great beer. Cheers!

Appearance - Pours like an unfiltered apple cider you get at the store every fall into my Russian River sniffer. Slight fizzy head is achieved with a vigorous pour that quickly dissipates leaving little lacing.

Smell - A distinct funk is the first aroma I smell. Then some nice citrusy fruity smells come forth such as the obvious guava, then some pineapple, and other tropical fruits. The sniff ends with some cloves and other peppery spices.

Taste - Holy cow, citrus is most definitely the prominent taste here. The guava is immensely present followed by an almost pineapple juice flavor. The barnyard funk is less noticeable in the taste than it was in the nose, though is still noticeable present. The taste ends with a relatively heavy amount of spices ranging from clove to herbs/grass, to a hint of white pepper. This is my second beer from CC and the both have been so damn complex.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation, finishes a hint dry and tart.

Drinkability - One of the better saisons I have had, and definitely right down my alley. Very glad ShadesOfGray suggested this beer in our trade. Alcohol is unnoticeable and this beer is immensely refreshing on this hot night. Can't wait to open the Warmer Winter I was sent - I'm going to try and wait until it gets cooler here but we'll see!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

A: Pours an awesome cloudy light garnet color with an awesome head that retains very well. Lots of yeast chunks floating around.

S: Wow, lots of uncommon tropical fruits- guava (duh), star fruit, leche, and more. The yeast is awesome, giving a note of champagne but it's also earthy. The nose indicates that this will have some good tartness. This doesn't seem to have the spices that other Saisons do (a good thing in this case)

T: Actually this is right on the money for the style- solid tartness, earthy yeast, and other fruits mentioned above + some. LOTS of guava (but the flavor is mellow like the fruit itself). Very balanced, kind of dry. Slight funkiness to it (wild yeast?)

MF/D: Lighter for the style (and CC for that matter), crisp mellow guava finish with a good tartness for that kick in the pants

Notes: Awesome summer beer, and a real nice change of pace from CC. Amazingly drinkable, and alcohol is seamlessly hidden

sweet and sour and slightly creamy. not to bad attal. not amazing but good. really i'm not the biggert fan of saisons but this one is kind of good. something i have never really tried before. i could probably have more than one of these but it really is just a touch too sweet. either way i am happy with it.

Thanks to G311 for hooking this up in a trade!

A: Pours a hazy orange with some golden highlights, capped by one finger of fizzy off-white head. The head settles down to a thin layer of foam but holds steady there.

S: Very aromatic and the tropical fruits jump right out front with sweet guava being easily identifiable. Citrus is next in line with lemon zest and orange, followed by peppery spice and Belgian yeast character. Some toasted wheat swirls around in the background.

T: Mildly acidic fruit up front with guava, papaya, oranges and tangerines all being present. Peppery spice comes in strong on the mid palate and mingles with the fruit before giving way to a sweet blend of fruits and caramel. Finish is sweet, almost syrupy tropical fruit.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation, feels a bit heavy on the tongue compared to some other saisons.

D: Reasonably easy drinking, but the sweetness becomes a bit too heavy after a while.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

In one word. Unique.
In a few words. Fruity semi sour & tart Saison.

Appearance is a golden honey sun tea meets cloudy orange juice. Excellent fluffy head and retention.
Noticable sediment in bottle which I left behind on this one. It's got enough funk without the slurry.

Aromas of tart Sasion yeast with a dash of funk. Reminds me of Fantome meets St. Somewhere strains.
More tart funk than spicy.

Tastes complex and as it smells. Crisp citrus tart whispers in tune with a nice balance of flavors as listed in the aroma. Fruit citrus is unique for sure. Unlike any Saison I have ever had to date. Reminds me of some sour beers and lambics. Nice sweet grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is med+ carbonation and medium body. Drinkability is very enjoyable for a funky fruited Sasion. Well done Cigar City. Complex, unique, and interesting. This beer is excellent as is, I can also say I would love to try it in the IPA IBU range for a nice citrus hop vs fruit duel...

hint hint to the CC team ;)

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Tried to pour this into a snifter...one inch of beer, the rest was all fluffy white foam. Took me a good 10 minutes just to get a glass of it! A hazy golden color with gazillions of tiny bubbles rising from the bottom of my glass the entire time. The lace left behind is about the thickest I have ever seen. It is literally a millimeter thick even halfway down my glass. The bubbles continue to rise. This boy is seriously carbonated.

Definitely a Belgiany nose. A bit of funkiness toned by sweet fruit (maybe pineapple) and some clove. It does have a crisp clean smell to it that certainly is encouraging me to dive in.

Whew...fortunately, the beer doesn't have that overcarbonated fizzy mouthfeel that I was concerned about. I'm very pleasantly surprised with Guava Grove. Very sweet and yeasty. Lots of sweet fruit, but I couldn't tell you exactly which kinds. A bit of clove as well. The aftertaste is grainy - similar to what lingers around your mouth after a bite of Fruit Loops or some other fruity cereal. Medium-bodied and very brisk. Excellent stuff!

So after my first glass, the subsequent pours were significantly less carbonated. Maybe three or four fingers of loosely packed head. Much better than the first. The Guave Grove was easy to drink and a fine example of the style. Sweeter than many with just a hint of tart as well - balanced perfectly.

Consumed: 7/31/2010

4.3/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to MCLK for this growler!

Aroma:Strong sour guava smell. There is a little vinegar.

Appearance:Dark orange in color with a big white frothy head. The head retention goes pretty quickly.

Taste:There is guava here in force! It's not intensely sour, but it does have a sour component throughout the experience. It's nice and fruity!

Mouthfeel:The body on this beer is fairly thin. The aftertaste is slightly astringent.

Drinkability:This is a really unique fruit beer. Refreshing and exotic.

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance:

Tonight I used my new Cigar City pint glass that was yet another generous extra from my buddy Greg. I pulled the chilled bottle out of my fridge and popped the gold cap off and I was surprised to hear a louder than normal hissing noise. I titled my glass and gave a generous pour and it started to foam quite hard but I decided to slow the pour down and I got it under control leaving me with a tiny one finger thick head. On my initial observation I noticed that this beer was pretty hazy and murky when I held it up to the light and it shined a burnt orange / dark gold color.

Smell:

Right off the start I am getting a huge waft of funky sweetness and peppery undertones. I can pull out a tiny amount of the guava but I am willing to say that the yeast takes front and center here. There is no real hops to mention of just sweet peachy maltiness and the typical Belgian-esq aromas of clove and bananas with a touch of something acidic in the finish.

Taste:

This is really sweet! This is not exactly what I was expecting, I thought it was going to be much drier and thinner like a typical Belgian Saison but this actually reminds me of a Berliner Weiss. There is loads of the guava and acidity with tangerines that just shine through in this syrupy ale. There is a fair amount of cloves in the finish that are wrapped around a predominant bready biscuit note. After I let my glass sit for a little bit the carbonation seems to have faded completely witch gives this beer a downfall. I am just wrapping up my first pint and I have just a little bit left in my bottle and I feel like the sweetness is making my stomach just a little bit sour for my liking.

Drinkability:

Overall this beer was pretty good and I'm glad that I got to share some with my wife because I think the whole 750ml bottle would have been too much for me. I really enjoyed the tart acidity taste that came along with the huge guava flavors and the beady finish. Again, I want to give one final thanks to Greg for sending me this beer and the glass for tonight's review. I would say if you get a chance to trade or if you come across this beer go for it because there really isn't too many fruit beers out there (besides lambics) that can take a great style like this and make it not over powering with the fruit

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Popped the cap on a 750ml with barely a whisper of carbonation. A nice pour into my DFH snifter a nice looking beer.

A- A deep straw color with a 1/2" of head leaving a tacky off color lacing down the glass

S-Smells like a saison.A lot of Belgian yeast, some clove, I suppose a bit boozy, a little hot to me.

T-Somewhat bready and acidic. I'm guessing the acidity is guava, not really tasting like a traditional saison.

M- seems light given the style

D-Very nice, it goes down pretty easy

3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

A-pours a hazy golden orange color with a faintly off white head that is thick and creamy.

S-belgian yeast, peppery spice, citrus aromas, mango, orange peel, light lemon zest, a little sweet but fairly decent nose.

T-the yeast is faint up front, huge malt body and sweetness take over, syrupy caramel lies underneath all sorts of cloying sweetness. the citrus fruits of mango, orange peel, phenolic metal in the back with a light bitterness.

M-syrupy feel with a light to medium body, soft feel on the palate with a good carbonation to balance.

D-the nose is a decent representation of the style but it is far too sweet in the taste with touch much malted barley.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

I poured from a bomber into a snifter. It pours a hazy peach yellow with a fizzy white head, quickly recedes. The nose is full of juicy tropical fruit, pineapple and guava. The flavor is sweet and dry. Pineapple and guava shine, followed by a drying sweet finish. There is a bit of wet hay/funkiness in the finish. The beer is light bodied, and highly carbonated and very vinous. A very good saison.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Many thanks to BrewerDan23 for the opportunity to try this.

A: Murky golden orange with a below-average sized head for a saison. It does leave decent lacing, though.

S: Belgian/saison yeast phenolic aromatics, guava, pineapple, pepper.

T: There is a healthy dose of guava acidity, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, peppery finish.

M: A little too light on the carbonation. The finish could be drier, in my opinion.

D: This is my first foray into Cigar City Brewing company and I enjoyed it. If they upped the carbonation levels to lighten the body, it would've firmly held a spot in my top ten beers of all time.

4.43/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at Capone's, 7/22/10.

A-Pours a hazy golden with highlights of tangerine, a thin white head and some good lacing.

S-Belgian yeast, tangy sweet fruit and light peppery hops.

T-Starts with a mild tang, good sweet malt and a good yeasty zing. Good bitterness from the guava and hops in the finish.

M-Light to medium bodied with carbonation on the light side.

D-Really delicious. Loved this in the bottle last year; exciting to have it on tap.

HV

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer for sometime and it did not disappoint.

A - Pours a murky orangish color with a nice white/tan head that laces oh so nicely down the sides of the glass.

S - Fruits, clove, yeast and funk. Specifically Guava, citrus, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Cloves and a Funky yeasty smell that tap dances around the fruits to make one exquisitely smelling beer.

T - Citrus is the prominent fruity taste but guava and the other tropical flavors are definitely evident. There is also evidence of clove, yeasty flavors, a splash of pepper and some funky flavors.

M - Medium bodied

D - At 8% this beer is rather enjoyable I've had 2 glasses and would like more.

This beer is perfect for a hot Florida summer night great job Cigar City really enjoyed this one.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Had this thanks to Tim and Dan at Pinocchio's.
Pours light golden orange with a large white head with good staying power. Lacing isn't heavy, kinda' soapy. The nose is sour tropical fruit, spices like pepper, clove, yeast and some funk. Taste is tropical fruit, some sourness and some hops and yeast The guava is there, albeit faint. The mouthfeel is a bit on the thinner side of medium, creamy with heavy carbonation. 8% abv is certainly not what I would have guessed. Although certainly not my favorite Cigar City offering, it was interesting and I will try it again.

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Ktrillionaire for the opportunity to try this. Batch 2 growler, decanted into a champagne flute.

Peachy coloration, hazy, glowing with yellow orange sunshine rays. Slow trails of carbonation feed the patchy skim on top, while flecks of spotty lace form on the glass. It maintains a sticky collar at the edges for the duration.

Leafy stemmed fruit, with a heavy, earthy guava presence that dominates over everything else.

Massive fruit flavor in this, low carb too, approaching a nearly viscous nectar. Sweet and savory, not quite tart, succulent with a very soft feel and dominant fruit flavors from the guava. Earthy fruit pith, very pleasant. So quenching and perfect for summer or any weather. I could drink much more of this...

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh...Guava Grove! I have wanted to try you for a long time. Grabbed this one first thing in the afternoon to start the day off right! Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/03/2010.

Beautiful pour here. The look and consistency of pineapple juice with that thick, almost pulpy look to it. Small head of white initially is not terribly impressive but then builds into a nice two finger tower that survives for the better part of the session. Rich fruit notes overwhelm the senses with pulpy fruit, hints of peppery spices, nice notes of light grain and a lovely grassy, herbal like feel to it. Really very well done here. Clean, very smooth, and a bit slick of a feel going forward. Flavor does not come at me as big as I would have thought given the nose, but it is still quite impressive. Soft grains and bready notes build with hints of spice before being splashed with tropical fruits and notes of light grasses. Slightly dry and tart finish is whisked away quickly and I am left with a big smile.

Overall very, very good example of the style here and another winner from CCB. Would do this one again any day.

4.1/5  rDev +3%

750 ml bottle (thx Dstructo!) that I've cellered for a few months, waiting for an absurdly hot day like today. Apparently lack of punt indicates this is the original batch? Poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Guava Grove is a hazy dull orange with a very large, sticky head, a bit meringue like, leaving big chunks of foamy lace. A bit of an overfoamer when opened at cellar temperature.

Smell is fairly classic saison, mineral laden citrus, but with a fleshy fruit component that is surely the guava.

Taste is pretty good, nice pithy saison, spicy, perhaps a hint of brett, and the gauva providing a citrus component that flirts with being overripe.

Mouthfeel is really nice and finely carbonated, although I perceive a fibrous quality that pushes it into medium bodied territory.

Drinkability is pretty good, straddling the fruit beer experimental quality with classic saison characteristics that I cherish.

This review is long, long overdue... I have guzzled so many bottles of Guava Grove, and it is perhaps my favorite beer.

This is a review of the first batch of Guava Grove bottles; they can be differentiated by the fact that they are in champagne bottles without a punt (kick-up) on the bottom. Newer CCB bottles have punts.

This initial iteration of Guava Grove, however, is likely never going to be reproduced. There are several reasons for that:

1. Subsequent batches have a tweaked recipe, changing the grain bill and the bittering hop.

2. It is fermented in a different type of vessel now.

3. The yeast culture used to brew it has 'evolved' over the past few years and imparts slightly different character.

So, old Guava Grove, here we go again...

A - Beautiful Champagne-like effervescence and sparkling clarity on the first pour, settling in to a nice eggshell head and spotty lace that crowns a peachy-goldenrod translucent body, replete with multiple bubble-streamers, continuing to feed the head.

S - The smell is so dry and tart; it is the definition of sublime. Although this is not a wild or sour beer, and is not infected with any bugs whatsoever, it tastes like a very sophisticated wild-sour brew. Not in-your-face, baby-vomit, cat-piss, horse-blanket, rancid-vinegar sour; it is just tart enough to add another real dimension of complexity. It seems that the fruit, as it has dried out with age, has begun to mimic much of the pleasurable fruity elements generally imparted by Brett and Co.

T - The mouthfeel is the first thing that I notice about the taste; the sharpness of the carbonation fully enhances the taste from the get-go by compounding the sensational aspects of the tartness imparted by the guava and the dryness and astringency of the base malt-hop fusion. Additionally, there are some pleasurable Champagne nuances as well as guava-peach-mango sour-sweet fruitiness expressed in a very reserved manner.

M - Perfect.

D - I have cracked so many of these at tastings over the past year, it has never once failed to impress. Indeed, on many occasions it stole the show. A phenomenal beer; a masterpiece. And this particular bottle I am finishing now is not only one of the very few that remain(ed) out there; it is also one of the best I've opened.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

After some noontime yardwork on what feels like the first sunny day in EVER, something 'springy' and 'Belgian-y' sounds pretty nice. Poured first to a pint glass, next to a tulip. I've had this bottle, a heavy brown 750ml, for several months ~ ever since Sebletitje sent it cross-country ~ and it's chilled in the fridge ever since.

'Malt Beverage Brewed with Guava [...one of Tampa's favored fruits...]'

A: Pffft, went the cap. Golden and clear pour (to start) with the vaguest trace of copper orange; later pours are a deeper hue with a milkier tranlucency. Head is tall, a 2-finger pile of ivory fizz that drops by about half to a dense cream but never fades away. Resplendent with carbonation, lively cascades billow throughout. Generous rings of clumped foam for lacing.

S: Fruit is evident right away: it's a whiff of tropical guava (may not have been able to identify it if not for the name - *spoiler alert*) and a tang. That tang is a less identifiable orchard medley: some orange and tangerine, a squeeze of lime, even peach and apple.

T: Certainly malty, a yeast roll or dry shortbread paired with tart-ish fruit. Less citrus than the nose led on: more pith or rind than anything, backed by fuller berry/earthy notes, even white grape. Has a 'brett-y' dry spice/tongue-curl thing going on, a faintly medicinal finish.

M: Crisp, effervescent mouthfeel - bright and lively. Maybe a medium body for the style. Little, if any, trace of the weighty 8% abv. Smoother finish.

D: Far too easy to drink any day, whether on a dreary soaker (like the one last winter when this arrived) or on a sun-drenched beauty like today. Delicious, worth seeking, I'd love to have again...yadda yadda yadda... Thanks Seb!

Guava Grove Saison from Cigar City Brewing