Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next › last »
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks to both Jw347 and Beerlando for the bottles.

Pours a very attractive mury peachy orange haze with a huge and quite formidable white cualiflower head that lingers extaordinarily well and leaves great lacing. Aside from the color, this is a perfect appearance for a saison.

Nose is very complex. Horse blanket barn funk, grass, and belgian yeast is mixed with a subtle but noticeable guava hint. Very interesting.

Taste is quite nice. A very complex and excellent saison. The guava is nice and subtle, no additional sweetness whatsoever. I would say the guava is actually more prominent in the nose, but it is here in the taste, and gets a little more noticeable as it warms, but definitely still an accent and not a central part of the proifle, which i actually prefer in this particular case (at least i think i do, haha). The saison profile is full of belgian yeast and grassy funk. The finish is nice and dry with an ever so slight tartness, certainly not funky in a sour way, just a slept in the barn in a bail of dry grass kind of way. That being said i'd be willing do bet there is a small dose of bugs in this beer. The finish lingers with good funkiness, and some guava in the background.

Mouthfeel is great. Slightly overcarbonated as most fine saisons are, the viscosity is ideal as well, sessionable yet substantial. The dryness on the finish is perfect.

Drinkability is damn solid for the abv. No alcohol heat until a small little warmth in the belly.

Overall i am very impressed with this saison. I had it about three weeks ago for the first time and liked it, and this full bottle has not only confirmed my opinion, but improved it. This is a very complex and very interesting beer. The color is a little off, but who gives a shit? And this is not a clone of your dupont or fantome, but its a very nice and very unique take on the style. I am excited to have a bottle of this to cellar, as i think it will develop well for a little while. Excellent beer, and a great addition to cigar city's lineup. Highly reccomended.

09-16-2009 03:46:12 | More by AKBelgianBeast
nickd717

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle shared by mfielden at a BA tasting - thanks, Mark! This was one of the best of the tasting.

A - Pours hazy golden with a large foamy white head.

S - Aroma is awesome, funky and bretty with a little tropical fruit.

T - Brett (really, there's none in here?), pale malt, grain, barnyard funk, and a great guava finish that leaves fruity flavors in your mouth.

M - Palate is medium-light with lively carbonation.

D - Pretty high despite the bretty tartness. Great saison and the guava is a nice twist.

09-15-2009 00:26:16 | More by nickd717
largadeer

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Yet another Cigar City beer kindly shared by mfielden. Thanks, sweety.

Ultra-cloudy turbid blond body, looks like homebrew after a couple days in primary. I don't think I've ever seen a murkier beer. The head is dense, white and long-lasting, its only real saving grace. The nose is tart, musty, yeasty and fruity. Spicy with a subtle but plainly noticeable guava presence. Subtle but nice, these Cigar City beers aren't exactly olfactory delights. Tart and fruity on the tongue, lots of guava flavor and lots of yeast. Very dry and sharp with a ton of carbonation. Sour fruit juice mid-palate leading to a lightly bitter, peppery finish. Simple but very enjoyable.

09-14-2009 03:19:46 | More by largadeer
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

inflatablechair brought this over Saturday night along with a few thick ribeyes... thanks Sam!!!! A new beer for sure and a big hunk of beef for later ... badass!!

Poured into my La Trappe Goblet.... Hazy orange with a big white head... dies down quick with some minor lace.

Nose is very "guava" centric... I say this, because I don't know that I know what "guava" smells or tastes like.. Honestly, (minus the beer elements) it reminds me of the "experimental" Kool Aid my mom bought when I was very young... I never cared for tastes of the tropics :-) ... and this beer may do well to get rid of that notion.

Flavor begins with a big punch of tropical fruits.. some apple skin and bit of yeasty funk sour.. Sam said this reminded him of a "Saison", I guess I can get that, but I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fruit.. There is just tooo much going on right now.... I can see certainly how the fruitiness could help and be done well with a Saison base beer, but.. this is too "tropical" right now.. It needs to dry out and leave the fruit essence... The body and carbonation seem about right... a bit bubbly with a nice medium body that seems to be dumbed down by the fruit in the beer... again... too much residual sweetness.

Overall, this is a pretty good/interesting beer... probably not for my palate, but I am not gonna harpoon it.. I think if we're actually gonna call it as "Saison", then I think it needs much more of a dry and even a slight sour push forward... Don't rely on the fruitiness and the ambiguity of the style to make it interesting.

Thanks again Sam... I never would have tried to trade for anything "guava".. that said, this was not a bad "guava" beer, yet a sorta only okay saison... again.... in IMHO, CCBC has too much going on... I would certainly buy this again as it stands if I had it available, but probably only a bottle or two..

09-08-2009 07:13:51 | More by JohnGalt1
capra12

4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

Reviewed on 8/28/09 with the trifecta Speedwayjim and wheatman106. Special thanks to my main man Martin always coming through. Served out of a tall snifter glass.

Appearance: 3 fingers of white head, cloudy golden and orange.

Smell: Yeasty and fruity.

Taste: Opens fruity with hints of guava and lychee tang which is present from open to finish. From the middle to the end there is a champagne sourness which carries over into the aftertaste leaving my palate a bit dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and lots of carbonation in this.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again (if I could get my hands on more) and the alcohol in this is hidden pretty well.

09-02-2009 02:25:07 | More by capra12
mullenite

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Have had this on tap and in bottle, review is for the bottled version.

Pours a cloudy orange color with a very tall white head that sticks to the glass extremely well.

Smell is tart, sour guava and funk. There really isn't a whole lot more to it than that.

On the tip of the tongue the beer is very funky, moving to sour and finishing with a nice guava sweetness. There is a little bit of breadiness to the taste as well that is not present in the nose.

With the yeast poured in the mouthfeel is chewy with nice sharp carbonation.

Very easy to drink and enjoy if you like sour fruit beers.

08-26-2009 04:12:39 | More by mullenite
gford217

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Justin for this 750mL bottle, poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy but bright golden orange with a massive rocky white head that refuses to recede for a few minutes and leaves thick sheets of lacing down the sides.

The aroma is dominated by a lightly tart sweetness with lots of guava, pears and green apples and some spicy Belgian yeast as well. There is also a hint of earthy funk in the nose, though it's pretty subtle.

The taste seems to be a bit more complex and earthier. It's got Belgian yeast, with some herbal notes and an overall earthy character. But there is plenty of sweet and sour fruits with, presumably, some guava and maybe some pineapple. The finish is slightly dry, though not exceedingly so, probably because of the fruity emphasis.

The mouthfeel is highly carbonated, very lively and ever-so-slightly acidic on the tongue.

This is another interesting mix of flavors from the guys at Cigar City and certainly an enjoyable saison. The fruity aspects of the beer are pretty strong and the finish isn't as dry as a traditional saison, but it's one I'd recommend.

08-25-2009 03:05:06 | More by gford217
glid02

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Bottle shared by pghlee - thanks!

Pours a light copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of guava with hints of pineapple and not quite ripe citrus fruits.

Tastes very good. Pale malt flavors serve as the backbone for loads of sweet and slightly sour fruits - guava, mango, pineapple, and orange. Light hop flavors contribute to a mildly bitter and crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have a few more.

Overall this was very interesting and I'll certainly be paying attention to what CCB brews up in the future. Recommended.

08-19-2009 03:20:09 | More by glid02
nickfl

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A - Pours with an enthusiastic, three finger head of white foam. The body is a hazy orange-copper color, the head settles slowly and leaves good lace.

S - Funky, sour wild yeast aromas with some herbal hops and fruity aromas of pineapple and, or course, guava. A very nice balance of all thinks funky and fruity.

T - Pungent sourness up front with spicy wheat notes. Herbal european hops are immediately present, followed by spicy yeast and tropical fruity notes. Finishes surprisingly clean with just some acidity and a hint of hops lingering on the palate.

M - Creamy, medium-thick body, very high carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - This is definitely on the acidic side for a Saison, and may not appeal to some, but it is refreshing and complex. The guava notes could just as easily come from the yeast as any fruit used in fermentation, but they are definitely there. A very good and drinkable beer, even considering the price and scarcity of this beer I would be inclined to seek it out again.

08-17-2009 04:14:31 | More by nickfl
redneckchugger

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured a hazy yellow, with a nice big off white head.
The noses is banana cloves and something acidic, i am guessing that's the guava.
The tastes is fairly acidic when its cool but as it warms the banana and clove come out more.
This is an interesting beer, i like the acidity a lot. I think it might have some kind of bug, Brett, or otherwise, but that might just be the guava adding a bit of sour , either way its good. Its fairly simple though, nothing too complex, Its a nice beer, very refreshing, easy to drink but not worth the price i think. If it was in a 4 pack for about 9 to 10 bucks i would buy a lot of it, but a 12 buck 750, is a bit much.

08-17-2009 02:23:27 | More by redneckchugger
meatyard

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours out a hazed, pinkish orange with a large white head that falls to a nice cover but leaves little lacing.
The smell is sour funk, lemon, guava (?)
The taste is sour, tart, funky and has a good "quality" saison character.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with decent carbonation.
Drinkability-Yeah, pretty good. It isn't the beer that I'd want to really have more than 1 or 2 pints at a time but it's interesting and nearly unique. Seems like one of those "like it a lot" or "it's not to my taste" type of beers but truely it's an adventurous beer.

08-16-2009 22:22:40 | More by meatyard
RomaniIteDomum

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

I had this beer at the Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel. It poured a thick straw-yellow with a slightly red tinge.

It smelled like guava. Not the almost over powering sickeningly sweet smell real guava has, but a more mellow version of guava.

The taste was like guava. It was a little stong at first, like biting into a very ripe guava, but not to the point of feeling like guava juice. It was definately a beer. Once my tastebuds rebounded and the beer settled it was very pleasant and even refreshing.

The feeling of the beer was fery juicy and even chewy at times. Thankfully it didn't have the sucrose film guava can give. It is still very much beer. Very pleasant.

This beer was very drinkable. I usually try to drink different beers, as there are almost 400 available any given night, but I was very tempted to order another one. The beer was very refreshing and even thirst quenching at times. It helped cool me on a warm night at an open-air bar.

08-15-2009 05:05:24 | More by RomaniIteDomum
Patrick999

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a tasting glass. Your typical saison gold, a substantive crown of bone-white head.

Couldn't really pick out much guava, but that's OK. Grassy hop, some leather - in a blind sniffing, I might have mistaken it for a Fantome.

Oh, is this ever right up my alley. Doesn't bowl me over with guava, but it's there. I can't really tell if it's a guava sourness or a Brett character, and I like that. Grassy hop evident, nice tart quality. Fruit beer, nah - this is effectively a saison.

Feels somewhat raspy, but not overcarbonated.

I can't wait until this becomes more available. i.R.I.S.? The hype-masters can keep that one, I'll take this one, thank you very much.

08-14-2009 22:31:24 | More by Patrick999
fmajowich

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked up a 750ml from Whole Foods in Tampa. Picked it up on sale for $8.99.

A - Amber color with good head retention.

S - Sour on the nose. Could be the Guava as I've never smelled Guava before. But a good smell was not turned off by the smell.

T - Slight tartness. Hint of lemon. Not over powering as the smell would suggest. However, not having Guava before might be throwing off my expectations of this beer.

M - Easy on the mouth. Not sour as I initially anticipated.

D - Very drinkable. Will polish off the 750ml in one sitting.

Need to get some guava so I know what tastes I should be looking for in this beer.

I would get this beer again.

08-03-2009 23:41:27 | More by fmajowich
acrobatic

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Just tried this one tonight. Had the Humidor Series Ale a few days ago, which I assume is the Jai Lai, but not sure. The Jai Lai is a winner, A+ but the Guava initially gave me metallic tastes and not sure what that was. I had a cold one ready to pour. Definitely Guava flavor but can't tell if my bias is towards the Ale as I am a hophead. Didn't enjoy this one as I might have hoped but not a bad beer. I think it takes a few more to acquire the taste

Nice Golden, orange color with an ale like finish but the flavor didn't impress me off the bat.

Cigar City definitely knows how to brew and I can testify, I'm a huge fan of the Humidor Series Ale bomber but not ready to jump into the Guava bandwagon just yet. Can't wait for the Scotch Ale to hit the shelves.

08-02-2009 03:23:46 | More by acrobatic
Overlord

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to fogdog for hooking me up with several Cigar City brews. I am looking forward to trying this underexposed, almost never mentioned on the forums brewery.

I carefully poured myself 2.3 oz for reviewing purposes, then set the rest aside to be consumed after my review is in final (there will be no edits at a later date). I put a bit too much in, maybe 2.5 oz., so I poured the rest off into the sink. An acceptable loss to ensure ideal reviewing quantity. I was a bit worried this specimen wasn't subjected to optimum heat conditions in transit, so I tossed the bottle in my dryer on medium heat then shoved it in the microwave, sans cap, for thirty seconds, to replicate cross-country growler shipping in desert conditions. Now we're good to go!

Oh right, the beer. Pours a pretty interesting hazy yellowish orange with a huge, literally 2/3rds the glass off-white foam head.

Smells like ... a saison got drunk on fermented tropical fruit. Very, very interesting. There's an almost sour, yeasty malt aroma to it, and a bit of guava (it actually doesn't bombard you in the aroma), and citrus. Maybe some other tropical notes in there, but the guava dominates the fruit segment.

Taste is also saison-like. But, here the guava really takes over. There's a sour, almost berliner-weisse style pungent-ness to the guava, but the flavor isn't one note. Some bready yeastiness, a bit of orange, maybe even some mango and pineapple. Interesting, if a bit wearying over time.

This beer grew a bit heavy on the palate. The first 1.1 oz., compared to the next 1.2, were more pleasant.

This beer is absolutely unique.

07-31-2009 07:37:16 | More by Overlord
cjgator3

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml bottle

A- Im cracking this one open for my 1000th review on BeerAdvocate! Poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy golden orange color with an off-white head that has pretty good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is sour with some funk along with a lot of fruit and citrus and yeast as well. A very interesting nose, which gets me excited for the first sip.

T- The taste like the aroma starts off a bit sour with a lot of tropical fruit flavors, spices and yeast in the finish. There is a wonderful balance of flavors, none of the flavors seem to outshine the other. Instead, they work together to create a very tasty brew.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere in between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Guava Grove is another awesome beer from an awesome brewery. It was a great beer to help celebrate the milestone.

07-23-2009 02:46:46 | More by cjgator3
gunnerman

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a snifter glass, pours a hazy orange color with a foamy head that leaves a bit of lace on the glass. Smell of funk, mangos, citrus, guava and pear. Taste is spot on for this style, nice refreshing blast of fruit with hints of pear, banana, pine and guava. Alcohol not detected in the taste but as it warms is detected in the nose. Overall a good offering from Cigar City Brewing and one that I would drink again.

07-19-2009 19:34:07 | More by gunnerman
DaveFL1976

4.15/5  rDev +4%

We received a keg of this brew into Coasters yesterday and curiosity got the best of me. A sampling is in order.

It pours a turbid light brownish color with a fluffy head that settles down into a thin skim. Not the prettiest beer in the world. Time for the smell and taste.

Interesting fruity smell. I don't know enough about guava to say, 'hey! that's guava!,' but I have a hunch it that's what it is. The name and all, you know?

Cool taste! Sharp, a little acidic and tart, but with a cool fruitiness going on. The end of the swallow is sweetish and mouth-coating. Pretty cool, and very unique tasting beer. Alcohol taste is nonexistant; this thing could pass for a SOBE drink in drinkability.

07-16-2009 16:11:55 | More by DaveFL1976
Beerisheaven

Another growler of Cigar City furnished compliments of a great trader, fogdog. Thanks so much for the opportunity to try this one in addition to the other great CC stuff you sent my way.

Overall, not my favorite of the CC growlers that I have been so lucky to get.

A - Nice amber color with a creamy white head.

S/T - I was actually thinking that this one was going to be little sweeter but the guava taste accompanies a fairly pronounced lemon citrus taste.

M - Fairly nice, enjoyable summer beer.

D - I actually split the growler (32 oz) with someone and that was about the right amount for me.

Of the three recent CC growlers I have been so lucky to try, I would put this one third behind the espresso then vanilla brown ale.

Glad I had the chance to try this, only wished it had a bit more sweetness to it.

Thanks again fogdog, I really appreciate it!!!

07-05-2009 20:17:46 | More by Beerisheaven
Gtreid

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

Growler, poured into my CCB pint glass.

A: Amber in color, very foggy and murky. Pour produces one finger of slighty off white head the leaves no lace.

A: Sour yeast and guava. I know, what a suprise coming from a guava saison. I also get lemon and orange.

T: The Guava is rather tart for me. I do get some of the same acidic fruits like the lemon and orange as well. The actual guava fruit finishes dry for me, and so does this beer.

M: Hefty amount of carbonation, light to medium body. The carbonation gives it quite the bite.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is high on this one, I don't even notice the 8% ABV. Overall, I am not floored by this beer, again, it is my personal tastes toward guava, it's just too tart and dry for me. But I'm sure if guava is your thing, you'll love this beer. Skal.

07-03-2009 19:51:50 | More by Gtreid
tpd975

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a very murky almost puke orange color. That being said it is kind of cool to look at. The head is nice an thin and leaves no lace.

S: Aroma is very fruit heavy. Lots of Guava with hints of mango. The yeast aroma is there along with a bit of sulfer.

T: Nice and fruity flavor as well. Lots of tropical fruit, most of which is guava. The yeast is there and is combines well with the fruit. There is a light tartness that puckers you up a bit in the finish.

M: Medium to full in body smooth and easy drinking

03-29-2009 21:23:49 | More by tpd975
Kiefdog

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottle courtesy of JRedner. Pours a yellow copper color with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and sweet with notes of guava, apple, pear, and some wheat. Flavor is light and sweet with strong fruit and guava notes, wheat, bread, some faint caramel, toffee, and hay presence as well. Generally light to medium body with a sweet fruit finish.

01-18-2009 22:56:52 | More by Kiefdog