Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 776-800 | 801-825 | 826-850  | next › last »
redneckchugger

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured a hazy yellow, with a nice big off white head.
The noses is banana cloves and something acidic, i am guessing that's the guava.
The tastes is fairly acidic when its cool but as it warms the banana and clove come out more.
This is an interesting beer, i like the acidity a lot. I think it might have some kind of bug, Brett, or otherwise, but that might just be the guava adding a bit of sour , either way its good. Its fairly simple though, nothing too complex, Its a nice beer, very refreshing, easy to drink but not worth the price i think. If it was in a 4 pack for about 9 to 10 bucks i would buy a lot of it, but a 12 buck 750, is a bit much.

08-17-2009 02:23:27 | More by redneckchugger
meatyard

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours out a hazed, pinkish orange with a large white head that falls to a nice cover but leaves little lacing.
The smell is sour funk, lemon, guava (?)
The taste is sour, tart, funky and has a good "quality" saison character.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with decent carbonation.
Drinkability-Yeah, pretty good. It isn't the beer that I'd want to really have more than 1 or 2 pints at a time but it's interesting and nearly unique. Seems like one of those "like it a lot" or "it's not to my taste" type of beers but truely it's an adventurous beer.

08-16-2009 22:22:40 | More by meatyard
RomaniIteDomum

4.45/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer at the Brass Tap in Wesley Chapel. It poured a thick straw-yellow with a slightly red tinge.

It smelled like guava. Not the almost over powering sickeningly sweet smell real guava has, but a more mellow version of guava.

The taste was like guava. It was a little stong at first, like biting into a very ripe guava, but not to the point of feeling like guava juice. It was definately a beer. Once my tastebuds rebounded and the beer settled it was very pleasant and even refreshing.

The feeling of the beer was fery juicy and even chewy at times. Thankfully it didn't have the sucrose film guava can give. It is still very much beer. Very pleasant.

This beer was very drinkable. I usually try to drink different beers, as there are almost 400 available any given night, but I was very tempted to order another one. The beer was very refreshing and even thirst quenching at times. It helped cool me on a warm night at an open-air bar.

08-15-2009 05:05:24 | More by RomaniIteDomum
Patrick999

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a tasting glass. Your typical saison gold, a substantive crown of bone-white head.

Couldn't really pick out much guava, but that's OK. Grassy hop, some leather - in a blind sniffing, I might have mistaken it for a Fantome.

Oh, is this ever right up my alley. Doesn't bowl me over with guava, but it's there. I can't really tell if it's a guava sourness or a Brett character, and I like that. Grassy hop evident, nice tart quality. Fruit beer, nah - this is effectively a saison.

Feels somewhat raspy, but not overcarbonated.

I can't wait until this becomes more available. i.R.I.S.? The hype-masters can keep that one, I'll take this one, thank you very much.

08-14-2009 22:31:24 | More by Patrick999
fmajowich

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Picked up a 750ml from Whole Foods in Tampa. Picked it up on sale for $8.99.

A - Amber color with good head retention.

S - Sour on the nose. Could be the Guava as I've never smelled Guava before. But a good smell was not turned off by the smell.

T - Slight tartness. Hint of lemon. Not over powering as the smell would suggest. However, not having Guava before might be throwing off my expectations of this beer.

M - Easy on the mouth. Not sour as I initially anticipated.

D - Very drinkable. Will polish off the 750ml in one sitting.

Need to get some guava so I know what tastes I should be looking for in this beer.

I would get this beer again.

08-03-2009 23:41:27 | More by fmajowich
acrobatic

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Just tried this one tonight. Had the Humidor Series Ale a few days ago, which I assume is the Jai Lai, but not sure. The Jai Lai is a winner, A+ but the Guava initially gave me metallic tastes and not sure what that was. I had a cold one ready to pour. Definitely Guava flavor but can't tell if my bias is towards the Ale as I am a hophead. Didn't enjoy this one as I might have hoped but not a bad beer. I think it takes a few more to acquire the taste

Nice Golden, orange color with an ale like finish but the flavor didn't impress me off the bat.

Cigar City definitely knows how to brew and I can testify, I'm a huge fan of the Humidor Series Ale bomber but not ready to jump into the Guava bandwagon just yet. Can't wait for the Scotch Ale to hit the shelves.

08-02-2009 03:23:46 | More by acrobatic
Overlord

3.58/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks to fogdog for hooking me up with several Cigar City brews. I am looking forward to trying this underexposed, almost never mentioned on the forums brewery.

I carefully poured myself 2.3 oz for reviewing purposes, then set the rest aside to be consumed after my review is in final (there will be no edits at a later date). I put a bit too much in, maybe 2.5 oz., so I poured the rest off into the sink. An acceptable loss to ensure ideal reviewing quantity. I was a bit worried this specimen wasn't subjected to optimum heat conditions in transit, so I tossed the bottle in my dryer on medium heat then shoved it in the microwave, sans cap, for thirty seconds, to replicate cross-country growler shipping in desert conditions. Now we're good to go!

Oh right, the beer. Pours a pretty interesting hazy yellowish orange with a huge, literally 2/3rds the glass off-white foam head.

Smells like ... a saison got drunk on fermented tropical fruit. Very, very interesting. There's an almost sour, yeasty malt aroma to it, and a bit of guava (it actually doesn't bombard you in the aroma), and citrus. Maybe some other tropical notes in there, but the guava dominates the fruit segment.

Taste is also saison-like. But, here the guava really takes over. There's a sour, almost berliner-weisse style pungent-ness to the guava, but the flavor isn't one note. Some bready yeastiness, a bit of orange, maybe even some mango and pineapple. Interesting, if a bit wearying over time.

This beer grew a bit heavy on the palate. The first 1.1 oz., compared to the next 1.2, were more pleasant.

This beer is absolutely unique.

07-31-2009 07:37:16 | More by Overlord
cjgator3

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

750ml bottle

A- Im cracking this one open for my 1000th review on BeerAdvocate! Poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy golden orange color with an off-white head that has pretty good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is sour with some funk along with a lot of fruit and citrus and yeast as well. A very interesting nose, which gets me excited for the first sip.

T- The taste like the aroma starts off a bit sour with a lot of tropical fruit flavors, spices and yeast in the finish. There is a wonderful balance of flavors, none of the flavors seem to outshine the other. Instead, they work together to create a very tasty brew.

M- The mouthfeel is somewhere in between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Guava Grove is another awesome beer from an awesome brewery. It was a great beer to help celebrate the milestone.

07-23-2009 02:46:46 | More by cjgator3
gunnerman

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a snifter glass, pours a hazy orange color with a foamy head that leaves a bit of lace on the glass. Smell of funk, mangos, citrus, guava and pear. Taste is spot on for this style, nice refreshing blast of fruit with hints of pear, banana, pine and guava. Alcohol not detected in the taste but as it warms is detected in the nose. Overall a good offering from Cigar City Brewing and one that I would drink again.

07-19-2009 19:34:07 | More by gunnerman
DaveFL1976

4.15/5  rDev +4%

We received a keg of this brew into Coasters yesterday and curiosity got the best of me. A sampling is in order.

It pours a turbid light brownish color with a fluffy head that settles down into a thin skim. Not the prettiest beer in the world. Time for the smell and taste.

Interesting fruity smell. I don't know enough about guava to say, 'hey! that's guava!,' but I have a hunch it that's what it is. The name and all, you know?

Cool taste! Sharp, a little acidic and tart, but with a cool fruitiness going on. The end of the swallow is sweetish and mouth-coating. Pretty cool, and very unique tasting beer. Alcohol taste is nonexistant; this thing could pass for a SOBE drink in drinkability.

07-16-2009 16:11:55 | More by DaveFL1976
Beerisheaven

Another growler of Cigar City furnished compliments of a great trader, fogdog. Thanks so much for the opportunity to try this one in addition to the other great CC stuff you sent my way.

Overall, not my favorite of the CC growlers that I have been so lucky to get.

A - Nice amber color with a creamy white head.

S/T - I was actually thinking that this one was going to be little sweeter but the guava taste accompanies a fairly pronounced lemon citrus taste.

M - Fairly nice, enjoyable summer beer.

D - I actually split the growler (32 oz) with someone and that was about the right amount for me.

Of the three recent CC growlers I have been so lucky to try, I would put this one third behind the espresso then vanilla brown ale.

Glad I had the chance to try this, only wished it had a bit more sweetness to it.

Thanks again fogdog, I really appreciate it!!!

Serving type: growler

07-05-2009 20:17:46 | More by Beerisheaven
Gtreid

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

Growler, poured into my CCB pint glass.

A: Amber in color, very foggy and murky. Pour produces one finger of slighty off white head the leaves no lace.

A: Sour yeast and guava. I know, what a suprise coming from a guava saison. I also get lemon and orange.

T: The Guava is rather tart for me. I do get some of the same acidic fruits like the lemon and orange as well. The actual guava fruit finishes dry for me, and so does this beer.

M: Hefty amount of carbonation, light to medium body. The carbonation gives it quite the bite.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is high on this one, I don't even notice the 8% ABV. Overall, I am not floored by this beer, again, it is my personal tastes toward guava, it's just too tart and dry for me. But I'm sure if guava is your thing, you'll love this beer. Skal.

Serving type: growler

07-03-2009 19:51:50 | More by Gtreid
tpd975

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a very murky almost puke orange color. That being said it is kind of cool to look at. The head is nice an thin and leaves no lace.

S: Aroma is very fruit heavy. Lots of Guava with hints of mango. The yeast aroma is there along with a bit of sulfer.

T: Nice and fruity flavor as well. Lots of tropical fruit, most of which is guava. The yeast is there and is combines well with the fruit. There is a light tartness that puckers you up a bit in the finish.

M: Medium to full in body smooth and easy drinking

03-29-2009 21:23:49 | More by tpd975
Kiefdog

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottle courtesy of JRedner. Pours a yellow copper color with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and sweet with notes of guava, apple, pear, and some wheat. Flavor is light and sweet with strong fruit and guava notes, wheat, bread, some faint caramel, toffee, and hay presence as well. Generally light to medium body with a sweet fruit finish.

01-18-2009 22:56:52 | More by Kiefdog