Guava Grove Saison - Cigar City Brewing

Guava Grove SaisonGuava Grove Saison

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

One of Tampa's nicknames in addition to the Cigar City is the Big Guava. It earned the moniker from local newspaper columnist Steve Otto in the 1970's. The nickname eventually gave rise to one of Ybor City's most popular annual events, Guavaween. We brew Guava Grove in tribute to Tampa's fruity nickname. Guava Grove is brewed with a French strain of Saison yeast and sees a secondary fermentation on pink guava puree. Slightly tart with a dry finish this is a refined beer that is perfect for sharing.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guava Grove Saison Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 801-825 | 826-850 | 851-875  | next › last »
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a snifter glass, pours a hazy orange color with a foamy head that leaves a bit of lace on the glass. Smell of funk, mangos, citrus, guava and pear. Taste is spot on for this style, nice refreshing blast of fruit with hints of pear, banana, pine and guava. Alcohol not detected in the taste but as it warms is detected in the nose. Overall a good offering from Cigar City Brewing and one that I would drink again.

gunnerman, Jul 19, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +4%

We received a keg of this brew into Coasters yesterday and curiosity got the best of me. A sampling is in order.

It pours a turbid light brownish color with a fluffy head that settles down into a thin skim. Not the prettiest beer in the world. Time for the smell and taste.

Interesting fruity smell. I don't know enough about guava to say, 'hey! that's guava!,' but I have a hunch it that's what it is. The name and all, you know?

Cool taste! Sharp, a little acidic and tart, but with a cool fruitiness going on. The end of the swallow is sweetish and mouth-coating. Pretty cool, and very unique tasting beer. Alcohol taste is nonexistant; this thing could pass for a SOBE drink in drinkability.

DaveFL1976, Jul 16, 2009

Another growler of Cigar City furnished compliments of a great trader, fogdog. Thanks so much for the opportunity to try this one in addition to the other great CC stuff you sent my way.

Overall, not my favorite of the CC growlers that I have been so lucky to get.

A - Nice amber color with a creamy white head.

S/T - I was actually thinking that this one was going to be little sweeter but the guava taste accompanies a fairly pronounced lemon citrus taste.

M - Fairly nice, enjoyable summer beer.

D - I actually split the growler (32 oz) with someone and that was about the right amount for me.

Of the three recent CC growlers I have been so lucky to try, I would put this one third behind the espresso then vanilla brown ale.

Glad I had the chance to try this, only wished it had a bit more sweetness to it.

Thanks again fogdog, I really appreciate it!!!

Beerisheaven, Jul 05, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -13.5%

Growler, poured into my CCB pint glass.

A: Amber in color, very foggy and murky. Pour produces one finger of slighty off white head the leaves no lace.

A: Sour yeast and guava. I know, what a suprise coming from a guava saison. I also get lemon and orange.

T: The Guava is rather tart for me. I do get some of the same acidic fruits like the lemon and orange as well. The actual guava fruit finishes dry for me, and so does this beer.

M: Hefty amount of carbonation, light to medium body. The carbonation gives it quite the bite.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is high on this one, I don't even notice the 8% ABV. Overall, I am not floored by this beer, again, it is my personal tastes toward guava, it's just too tart and dry for me. But I'm sure if guava is your thing, you'll love this beer. Skal.

Gtreid, Jul 03, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours a very murky almost puke orange color. That being said it is kind of cool to look at. The head is nice an thin and leaves no lace.

S: Aroma is very fruit heavy. Lots of Guava with hints of mango. The yeast aroma is there along with a bit of sulfer.

T: Nice and fruity flavor as well. Lots of tropical fruit, most of which is guava. The yeast is there and is combines well with the fruit. There is a light tartness that puckers you up a bit in the finish.

M: Medium to full in body smooth and easy drinking

tpd975, Mar 29, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottle courtesy of JRedner. Pours a yellow copper color with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and sweet with notes of guava, apple, pear, and some wheat. Flavor is light and sweet with strong fruit and guava notes, wheat, bread, some faint caramel, toffee, and hay presence as well. Generally light to medium body with a sweet fruit finish.

Kiefdog, Jan 18, 2009