Big Sound Scotch Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

Big Sound Scotch Ale is dedicated to our good buddy Gino, the most Punk Rock Bagpiper you will ever meet, and the rest of the men and women of the Tampa Bay Pipes and Drums. Brown in color, Big Sound has huge notes of dark sweet toffee with underlying mild notes of coffee in the aroma. The flavor starts with a slight note of cherry and then opens into a goliath of malt character with notes of dark sweet toffee, coffee and mild notes of toasted bread in the finish. Big Sound Scotch Ale pairs well with Haggis, Highland Games, Huge Heads, Enormous pillows and of course Bagpipe Music.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 635 | Reviews: 191
4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

A -pours a dark, almost completely opaque brown. A small tan head sit atop the beer.

S - Sweet malt. Caramel and molasses notes also come through.

T - super sweet right off the bat. Makes my mouth pucker up a bit. A hop after taste prevails once you get past the molasses, malt, and raisin flavors.

D - This is a sipper. It took me a good hour to drink half of the 750mL bottle. The 8.5% is nicely hidden, but due to the pure sweetness, I can't consider it highly drinkable all the time.

2.82/5  rDev -30.9%

Purchased from CCB taproom in March 2011, Review from late October. Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Murky brown in color, the brew pours viscous and thick with a pillowy, tan colored head. Clingy webs attach themselves to the sides of the glass with rings of thick bubbles.

S: Malty upfront showcasing a bit of char mixed with some hints of dark fruit. Unfortunately, a waft of infection resides in the finish, throwing the aroma off and dashing the full enjoyment.

T: Bold, char roasted malt notes imparted with a wood like taste. Bing cherries come through with a nice sweetness backed by the familiar scotch tastes of char and peat. Sour/tart in the finish due to a noticeably nascent infection, again hampering the true potential of the beer.

M: Thick, full-bodied, and chewy brew as expected from CCB. Assertive mouth feel with slightly tingly carbonation and a smooth aftertaste. Finishes with a satisfying alcohol warming and definitely a slow sipper.

O: I was aging this beer for a short amount of time only to be let down a second time by CCB due to an apparent lack of quality control. The onset of infection in noticeable in the beer, especially given the 1/4 inch of yeasty sediment residing in the bottom of the bottle. It's a shame because from the flavors that were in the beer, I can tell I would have enjoyed it much more were it not for the constant reminder of the detracting infected flavors. I finished about half of the bottle before my drain received the rest. Not bad but not worth drinking.

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Bought it at Whole Foods in Pinecrest. Served into my Orval Tulip. Great flavors I'm getting from this amazing Cigar City brew. Worth every penny of the $13.99 that I paid. Reminds me of a Skull Splitter. Hints of caramel and even toffee. Would buy this again for sure!

4.55/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a dark brown with a three finger fizzy tan head. I see tons and tons of bubbles rising to the top which is surprising to me. Didn't expect to see so much carbonation. The smells is sour cherries, toffee, caramel, and some smoke. Smells nice. The tase is out of this world. I get sweet cherries up front, followed by toffee and caramel. The smoke is there in the finish, but to call this "smokey" would be an overstatement. Mouthfeel is creamy and well carbonated. Overall, very surprised in how much I am enjoying this. While the brew is sweet, it is not cloying like syrup. The ABV is well hidden as well. Just another solid brew from Cigar City. My only complaint is that I would have preferred a more defined smokiness, but that is just nitpicking. This is an incredible beer.

***Update:

As the brew warms, I am getting more and more smoke on the nose and in the taste. Truly an exceptional beer. At first, this didn't really meet the Scotch Ale style, but the traditional style comes out more and more as the beer warms. This is a beer that should be drunk at no colder than 50 degrees. I originally scored this as an "A," but this is an A+ beer. One of the best beers that has passed through these lips.

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed at a beer tasting courtesy of aasher. Pours a dark muddy brown with 2 fingers of tan foam head. Lacing is minimal

s-alcohol is most definitely detectable on the nose of this beer with molasses, burnt wood, and raisins. Chocolate is there as well.

t-the molasses and raisins in the smell are very representative in the taste. Sweet, but not overly malty.

m-carbonation on this beer is perfect; enough, but not too much. The different flavors that my palate experience are remarkable.

o-sucks that I'm really at a loss for words for this beer. It is very very good.

4.63/5  rDev +13.5%

about 40 degree F into a pint glass
A- garnet to black with a long lasting giant head

S- chocolate and peat

T- I just O'd. Rich chocolate, peak smoke and malt

M- like a $15 milkshake, so creamy, sooo nice

D- this could easily become my favorite. The stuff is pricy but DAMN!.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very dark in glass. Almost black until you pick up the glass and see deep red color with a tan head that is not falling. A slight milk chocolate upfront with an immediate alcohol hit. You can feel it as you swallow and it finishes with a sweet cream finish. Very very good scotch ale.

4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

pours an almost pitch black caramel color. nice head. retention is long. lacing is quite quite nice.

nose is rich. a ton of things in here, but predominant caramel, malt, chocolate, burnt toast flavors.

first thing you notice is the sweetness. reminds me a lot of the ST creme brulee. much milder. i want to describe the flavor as oblong in shape. sweet, but the sweetness is incredible. complex. rich. flavorful. no bitterness on the finish. reminds me also of marshall zhukov. less RIS flavors.

mouthfeel is amazing. velvety. great carbonation.

it's a great beer but calling it a scotch ale is a little....

it's a super amplified scotch ale. clearly a great beer, but not my thing. it's like an american treated scotch ales like he would treat an ipa or an RIS. i prefer more toned down scotch ales. would really taste good with a fruit pie of some sort

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark brown ale with one finger head that disappears and leaves little lacing on the glass. Aroma of molasses, coffee, caramelized brown sugar. Dark fruit comes through a little in the taste, especially prunes. Chocolate comes through as it warms.The mouth feel is medium and smooth. Not the biggest fan of scotch ales, but this is one of the best.

4.93/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured this beer from a bomber. This beer was phenomenal and probably one of the best scotch ales I have ever had. Very dark color with aromas of peated scotch-y malts. Scotch-y flavors are present with hints of caramel, toffee, and roasted malt. Scotch-y peated flavors are similar to flavors from Islay whiskey casks. An 8.5% ABV helps the overall taste as well and makes this a hearty beer. Absolutely loved this beer and highly recommend it.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

A massive thanks to my sister for picking some of this up in Orlando on her way through. Six bottles? thats above and beyond! Serving type bottle poured gingerly into my Slyfox Tulip Pint.

Pours a deep brown with a substantial cream colored head that held on for awhile. Hints of a deep ruby or amber peaking through from time to time. Lacing doesn't really stick around but it's there.

Smells of malt and dark fruit. No...seriously every dark fruit you can imagine seems to be there.

Tastes of malt,a hint of chocolate,and dark fruits. A little sweet. Hey, where's the alcohol? Not to be found. Uh-oh

Mouthfeel good carbonation,and it's a tounge coater.

Drinkability again is good. Not my favorite style, but very good.

3.52/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a 750 into a snifter glass.

A- dark color. Darker the expected, almost porter like. 2 finger golden head quickly dissapeared and left no lacing.

S- very sweet. Hints of coffee, Carmel, and cherry. You can also smell the alcohol.

T- sweet and roasty. Hints of cherry, coffee, and malts. You can definitely taste the alcohol. A little bit of bitterness at the end of each sip.

M- light carbonation. Very smooth. A little syrupy.

O- too sweet to me. An ok beer but Not sure I would drink again.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Wife picked up a Bottle of this for my Bday knowing that Cigar City is my favorite brewery.

Appearance - Dark color, much darker than I was expecting. Thick creamy head that fades quickly is the only thing that tells me this isn't a stout. I can't wait to dig in!

Smell - Really sweat nose. Picking up maybe some caramel mixed with a small amount of coffee malts. Didn't notice the cherry until I read the bottle, but it's definitely there.

Taste -Coffee, caramel, toffee, and again cherry. The great thing here is that even with those flavors it's still refreshing. Which is important to me with any brew.

Mouthfeel - Perfect amount of carbonation as shown with a remaining thin layer of head. It sits very south and silky which is again surprising giving how refreshing it is.

Overall -From what I know about scotch ales, I think this is great. I haven't tried many in this style, but much like other beers Cigar City brews, this one might get me more interested in the style.
Cheers again CCB.

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

Very dark and viscous looking pour with a thin medium tan head. Looks the part of a porter. Very sweet and fruity aroma. A lot of dried dark fruit notes along with some berries, caramel, toffee, and even subtle hints of chocolate and leather. Flavor is very sweet, but not cloying. Underlying fruit notes are quickly displaced by roasty and coffee flavors. Rich caramel and toffee flavors interplay wonderfully. Definitely improves as it nears room temperature. Palate is thick and full, with a lingering sweetness on the finish. A little off-kilter (pun intended) for the style but extremely well-made and delicious. One of my new favorite scotch ales. Would love to try this in barrel-aged form.

4.68/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bought this bad boy last year at the brewery and loved it so much that I had a friend that visited Tampa a couple weeks after to bring me another one because it loved it so much. Can't wait until the new one comes out because I will be hoarding them for a year just like I'm doing with the bottle my buddy brought me. IF you can get your hands on this do yourself a FAVOR.

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

750 ml bottle from St Pete Total Wine

a - deep brown, good head retention, lacing

s - toffee and caramel

t - caramel and toffee, enough alcohol to make you take pause but not enough to overpower the other flavors

m - medium to full bodied, mild carbonation

d - This kept me coming back for more trying to wrap my head around it. It seems CCB was trying pretty hard to make good beer. Luckily, they succeeded. Insert any other A rating here.

« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »