Warmer Winter Winter Warmer - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Old Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

A old ale with american hop varietals that has a complex citrus and caramelized toffee aroma and underlying notes of chocolate.
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Served in a CCB snifter. Pours a dark brown color with a tan head that has nice retention and lacing. Looks beautiful in the glass.

S- The aroma is a lot of malt sweetness, caramel, toffee, a touch of chocolate, spices and some hops as well. There's a lot going on in the nose, very nice aroma!

T- The taste is a lot of sweetness up front from the malt, caramel, toffee and some bitterness in the finish from the hops along with some warmth from the alcohol. If I could change one thing I would lower the sweetness a bit and up the bitterness from the hops to help balance out the sweetness. Still, a very tasty brew.

M- The mouthfeel is perfect in this brew. It is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, another awesome brew from CCB that is great to enjoy on the few cold nights we get in Florida. Highly recommended.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Extremely dark for an old ale; black and just shy of opaque. Head is frothy an mocha colored, with great retention.

S: American PNW hops are there, but not much else...

T: Quite sweet, with a definite emphasis on the malty side of things. Caramel, vanilla, and custard are well presented, with little of the hops that have been promised by the nose. My only complaint is that the brew is a tad too sweet. Don't get me wrong, I love my Old Ales to be malt forward. I just feel that this particular example could benefit from a higher degree of attenuation.

M: Full bodied, velvety, and a touch sticky.

D: Overall, this is a solid brew from one of my favorite breweries. Again, a touch too sweet, but delicious nonetheless. Definitely worth a shot.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance:

I pulled the cap off this large bottle and was greeted with a very loud pop and the ale even started to foam up the neck so i grabbed my glass quickly for the pour. I used my DFH snifter and poured straight on and was left with a huge four finger thick light tan head that hung around for a long time. As I hold the glass up to the light it appears a dark plum color with some brown and red highlights. There is no haze of yeast chunks floating around and viscosity seems to be rather thick.

Smell:

Very sharp prickly warming alcohol hit your right off the start. Loads of rum, figs, plums, and brown sugar surround your nostrils. There are some earthy hops in the front mossy and dirt like. In the finish chocolate and slight roast with candi sugar.

Appearance:

Very sweet right off the start, loads of raisins, and dark sugars, Very little hop flavors poking through the chewy sweetness. Slightly tangy finish with a nice thick mouthfeel, nutty and creamy. Very good for a barleywine but glad I split a bottle becuase it does become a little overwhelming after awhile.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked this bottle up from CCB in Tampa.

A - Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours dark brown with cordovan highlights and a nice sized khaki head that settles into a globby film atop the beer.

S - Candy, brown sugar, malt, raisins, spices, citrus.

T - Dark toffee, raisins, chocolate, malt. Very syrupy sweet which plays well off of the citrusy hop and alcohol aftertaste.

M - Very silky smooth, creamy, with a little bit of carbonation tickling the roof of my mouth as I take a slug.

4.17/5  rDev +7.8%

A big thanks to ShadesOfGray for this great beer. Cheers!

2009 Vintage

Appearance - Pours into my Russian River Tulip with a rustic red hue. About two fingers of tan/mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipate quickly, coating the sides of the glass in a thin film

Smell - A heavy candied nose. Immediately reminds me of a Barleywine. Dark fruits such as plums and raisins, slight fading hops, burnt sugar, a hint of alcohol, and vanilla. A perfect beer for this chilly night I am enjoying on my deck.

Taste - Spot on to the nose, however, one huge difference is that I taste coffee and a nuttiness that was not present in the initial aroma of the nose. While this is a heavy sweet beer, the hops are still making an appearance which allows it to be offset. Burnt sugar is prevalent midway through, also slight grapefruit rind. The beer finishes with some spices, a piney flavor, and toffee. There is noticeable alcohol warmth, however, I do not taste it.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, thick and creamy, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - A sipper, and even with a year on it I get quite a bit of warming as I drink it...honestly more warming than I can remember from many beers in this ABV range. However, that just psychologically is warming me up as I sit outside, and honestly does not take away from its drinkability, because as previously mentioned, I do not taste any immediate alcohol when sipping this beer. An enjoyable beer for sure.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

Wow, this is a big brew and a mean winter warmer. I was expecting something lighter, but this is roughly a sweeter barley wine. Pour is a lightish brown with a tan head. Aroma speaks of a stout, lots of chocolate and cream, cocoa; nice alcohol scent. taste starts out a bit like an imperial stout but goes a bit sweeter like a milk stout or some Belgian RIS's. Has some bitterness, making this more of a strong ale, but with some hints of an English barley wine. Very complex brew, and a really pleasant mix to the usual winter styles.

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Aroma:Delicious huge sweet malt aroma. Cotton candy. Dark fruits. Alcohol.

Appearance:Tawny red in color. Thick head with great retention. Amazing lacing.

Taste:Huge malt flavor from the foretaste thru the aftertaste. Lots of caramel in the foretaste, and a little molasses. Just a little metallic copper in the aftertaste. A pleasant lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Very thick body. Creamy. A little hot alcohol, but not as much as I was expecting. A little hop astringency. Good carbonation.

Drinkability:This is a hugely drinkable winter warmer, very thick and rich, amazing sweet flavors. Great as a dessert beer.

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%

A: deep brown murky in color, small head lingers with nice lacing
S: sweet, fruit/raisins, spices, wood, no alcohol
T: brown sugar and spice, very sweet with a balance of spice and slight hop bitterness, complex, very smooth, the alcohol peeks through
M: very full, syrupy, not heavily carbonated but a swirl quickly brings the head back
D: the sweetness starts to overwhelm by the end of the bottle, but the taste is so complex that it stays interesting, smooth but interesting

One of my favorite styles and I like big beers, this beer definitely delivers.

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The style says old ale, but its definitely a barley wine.

Poured a 750ml into a Bernardus chalice. Dense brown A little hazy. White head that hung in there for a little bit.

Smell was very dense sweet aromas. Brown sugar, maple a little boozy as well.

Taste was nutty with a sweet dessert wine texture. Too early to drink perhaps. I would recommend a little cellar time(6 months - 2 years)

Overall last years was better for some reason. Too sweet for me and lacked balance.

2.99/5  rDev -22.7%

The appearance is a dark murky brown with red hues and a half inch white head. Smells of sweet brown sugar and maybe some molasses. You can also definitely smell the booze. Taste for me was just too sweet. Very sugary and tart with a nice boozey background. Creamy mouthfeel, but for me the sweetness was just too much. I cant really describe the type of sweetness that well. I do like some sweet beers like Creme Brulee, but this one just had an awkward sweetness to it. My least favorite brew from Cigar City as of yet.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

AHH HAAA! The tables have turned on Cigar City's "WARMER Winter Winter Warmer" - it's not warm in Tampa right now! When a cold spell hits and the nighttime temperature in Tampa drops to 32 F, it goes down just fine!!! Sitting outside by the pool beneath the night time sky with a snifter of WWWW it's freakishly cold!

A: Despite the fact that I started with a very visible layer of sedimented yeast at the bottom of the bottle, I've got a surprisingly clear dark mahogany body in front of me (only in the last two pours was the sediment disturbed). Held up to the light it displays a brilliant crimson glow, not unlike Rudolph's nose! The creamy, two-finger thick head atop it is a dark tan; and it leaves some very beautiful sheets of broken, craggy lace as it goes.

S: In the nose it's sweet and syrupy with a bit of a perfumey quality, quite possibly from the alcohol. It's floral and fruity (red berries) with a touch of what I'd liken to the edge of an almost-burnt gingerbread cookie (a little bit of burnt sugar, a little bit of burnt cookie dough).

T: The flavor is sweet, raisin-like, sugary, floral, bready, caramelsih, toasty, malty, and even oatmeal-like. It's rich, intense, and complex. With each sip, layers of residual sugar are left to slowly erode from the palate, leaving behind brown sugar, fruit, and eventually bitterness and molasses. And it constantly changes. At first it's very sugary, but then as the alcohol works its way through, it displays more fruity and softly spicy notes. There's raisin, plum and red berries, but I even find some cherry in it. A solid bitterness emerges from beneath to bring it down in the end.

M: In the mouth it's decidedly full bodied and dextrinous. I'm not sure what the carbonation level is, (as whatever is in it is certainly well-contained by the dextrinous body) but it comes across as creamy and smooth.

D: Drinkability once again comes down to how much did you like it? And how much would you like to have another if you could? It's a pretty solid beer, and it's fairly strong to boot, but more importantly, it's very sweet. I drank two 10 oz glasses and my palate was overwhelmed with flavor. I'd certainly have another though, and it's unique enough that I'd say it's certainly worth trying.

A - This Old Ale poured out a clear bronze hue with a one-finger, tan head that left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled malty, bready and sweet. A mild fruit aroma, too.

T - This is a rich, malty beer with sweet caramel and boozy flavors. A nice bitter bite balances out the sweet and maltiness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium to full bodied ale with a fairly dry finish.

D - This is a very good Ole Ale. Thanks to given2flybrewing for sharing this one, too.

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a white head. The aroma is toffee, brown sugar and molasses. The aroma is very sweet smelling, but there is also a little bit of alcohol mixed in - although the beer doesn't smell boozy.

The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of brown sugar and molasses, along with some toffee and chocolate malt. The alcohol is also present in the aroma, but it is not as apparent as you would expect from a 10 percent ABV Old Ale.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

750ml bottle.

Pours dark mahogany with a dense head of beige. Plenty of torn sheets of lacing and a solid skim coat for the duration.

Aromatics lead off with bakers chocolate, toffee, roasted malts, and coffee grounds. An underlying red fruit note comes forward as the brew warms.

Almost full bodied with a tacky, sticky mouthfeel. Stout-like and a bit viscous.

Roasted barley, dark chocolate, espresso, and caramel start the palate. Brownie batter, jam-smeared fudge, and some citrus notes follow through.

Finishes with lingering roast, chocolate, and a hint of warmth.

Pretty robust and tasty for an Old Ale. I could see how this would be a good base beer for barrel aging, but as it is it lacks vineousity.
This being my first taste of a CCB brew, I'm kind of scratching my head regarding all the hub-bub though.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance -- Pours a deep ruddy amber with a finger of creamy eggnog head. Moderate lacing, coats the glass well.

Smell -- Bread pudding, brown sugar, prune, rum raisin, and pithy hops.

Taste -- Sweet up front with dark fruits, prune, rum raisin, and cocoa. Some significant hop character akin to an American Barleywine like spearmint and pithy citrus; bitterness is pronounced. A mild berry tartness rounds out some of the malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied with moderate prickly carbonation. A little chewy. Mild alcohol warmth in the throat.

Drinkability -- Quite good. A little too hop-forward for my tastes, but it's very drinkable and interesting enough for me to stay engaged. While I may not bend over backwards for a second bottle I'm glad I had the first.

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

a - poured a beautiful deep caramel color from the bottle into an oversized snifter. there was a nice frothy cream colored head that eventually disappeared into a yeasty swamp. looks like something that would warm you on a cold day and i can't wait for my first sip.

s - as soon as i popped the bottle sweet soft dark grapes and berries filled the air. when i took my nose to the glass it was way more syrupy and thick smelling. kind of like a DFH heavier beers but a bit tamer. alc is heavy in there. but it did fill the room with a sweet berry-ish aroma...my wife noticed it and asked 'what smells so good?'

t - how to describe the flavor...pepper and alcohol. a touch minty even. a really well named beer. this is the flavor i think of for warming your soul on a cold winter's day. could use a touch of something else in there to round out the flavor but not sure what.

m/d - a bit thick leaves a cooling alcohol tingle. could definitely use some taming. cigar city makes some great brews and their beefed up old ale is ok, probably won't grab this one again.

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Reviewed from notes. Last year's vintage, which I picked up at Capone's.

Poured into a snifter. Color is a moderate caramel color. Single-finger white head recedes somewhat quickly but leaves a few legs and a bit of lace. The nose is really fruity, with large amounts of raisins, figs, and stone fruits. Good dose of caramel and booze as well. The taste focuses on fruit and alcohol, with a bit of malty sweetness. Feel is a bit boozy, but melds well with the flavors. A nice sipper.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to Sean6989 for bringing this to our tasting.

A - Carmel color, hazy, no light comes through. Big head on it that left alittle bit of lace.

S - A lot of dark fruit in this as well as some bitter/roasty malts and some brown sugar.

T - This tastes a lot like a wannabe barley wine to me, which made some people like it more, but me less. A slight sweet candy taste that ends up being kind of sour and rotten on the end.

M - Nice body and carbonation, it's fine.

D - This isn't horrible, but not great. I think it's decent as far as a winter warmer goes, but wouldn't seek this out.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle provided by Sean I believe for our last tasting...Pours a watery medium brown, light tan head ok retention, light lacing...The aroma is pretty decent, not a huge winter/spice beer fan so I was expecting the worse. Their is some winter spice notes of nutmeg and such but it doesn't attack my senses. Light hops on the back...The taste is lightly spiced as well, lots of barleywine characteristics. The feel is nice, and easy to drink.

If your not a huge spice beer fan this is a good beer for you as it introduces you to the style or gives you just enough spice to get the style but not so much you can't drink a good amount. Mild recommendation.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Have been very excited to try this one, thought I was aging it longer. Twas not the case. Anytime you brew a weekend like this one, though, you gotta get a little silly.
Deep, dark blood honey red, with a pillowy cushion atop best to lay my mustaches upon. Sweet malty breath wafts into my soul, secrets of plums and dates, dark cherries, some light nutmeg aroma, and wisps of hop vapors.
She drinks beautifully, sweet with complex sugars assisting in the enjoyment, I'm not sure if she's enjoying me more than I her. We smile at each other, share a laugh. Muted hops form the heart. Such levity for such a serious beer.
Extremely drinkable, carbonation is perfect and lusty.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Head retention is beautiful on this one. Silky smooth and creamy, just off white. The beer poured a dark brown that isn't letting much light through. Has some red and orange highlights, but this beer is definitely dark.

S: The amount of sweet aromas here is overwhelming. Apples, pears, pineapple, figs and plums. Not just the dark fruit I was expecting. Great malt character, some nice spice. Good hop aroma as well, some bready yeast.

T: Almost exactly what the nose was, but lackluster. A bit of oxidation. Strong dark fruits and some bitter hops. Caramel is light, a little boozy. Far shot from style it seems here.

M: Drinks like a fresh old ale, if that makes any sense. Carbonation is crisp but not overpowering. Body is big enough, its a bit sticky.

D: This one is giving me a bit of trouble, was hoping it would be more of a malt bomb but it came forward with some hops. For me an old ale is like drinking caramel syrup. It has a certain viscosity that I want, and this beer just doesn't have that. A bit too crisp.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

From Blind Bomber BIF (Thanks to Hophead101!):

A: Pours a dark caramel color, completely opaque. Huge, decadent foamy head the color of roasted marshmallows slowly fades to a sticky lacing. Significant sediment. Looks somewhat imposing.

S: Some oxidation, but mostly sweet malt, dark fruit sugars and some faint, faded hop aromas. Fairly muted nose.

T: Starts out mostly sweet malts, some oxidation and finishes bitter. As the beer warms, it really opens up... earthy malt flavors , some raisins and a bit of booze all meld together very well. Quite rich, all in all, and definitely a sipping beer. Very enjoyable.

M: Low carbonation, thick, almost sticky sweetness... very slow drinking beer, but nice. Fits the flavor profile quite well.

D: High, but for the extent of about one bottle.

I've had this one once before, a while back. Glad to see it held up as well blind. Really an enjoyable beer to sip slowly and enjoy over an hour of taking it easy during the cooler months.

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Got this in a trade, but it was so long ago I forget who sent it, but thanks I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing it is about a year old or so give or take a month or two.

Well fall is upon us where I'm at and the days are starting to get cold and crisp but still sunny so I thought I would pop something with a name like this one to ring in the colder weather.

A- Ruby red with more brown tones very sexy looking. The head was three fingers but has settles to a great frothy cappuccino looking head.

S- Smells like an American Barley wine, with a nose of hops coming though strong. Very boozy, burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, and a cherry tobacco.

T- The taste is bready, nutty almost like a brown ale, but there is a coffee toffee taste. Slight dark fruit taste and candy taste. Not too bad.

M- Light body with a slick oily feel on the palate. The carbination is very light and creamy.

D- Easy to drink, tasty.

Growler.

Pours a clear dark amber color with a 1.5-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of lightly toasted malts with good amounts of sugar-coated prune and sugar-coated dried fig aromas. Also present are indistinct spices and very light hints of sourdough bread.

Tastes good. Caramel malt flavors with hints of toastiness kick things off and are joined quickly by indistinct spices. Midway through the sip hints of ripe pears and dried plum flavors enter into things. The fruit flavors are pushed aside by earthy hops that carry through to a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this beer but like almost every other CCB beverage I've had it's unique. Worth a shot.

7/21/2010

An extra received in a trade with Dstructo, thanks! Snifter. The beer appears burnt umber with a frothy two finger beige head. Retention is good and lacing is scattered.

The aroma is of candied and brown sugar, plums, toffee, dates, pine, grapefruit, and a lot of orange. Notes of caramel waft from my glass as the beer warms. Smells great.

Bitter grapefruit mingles with sweet caramel and brown sugar. The hop bitterness offsets the rich profile, making it sweet without being overbearing. Wow, this is pretty damn good. My preconceived notions were far off. The beer finishes with dates, spices, sweet caramel, pine, and moderately bitter grapefruit and orange. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with a perfect level of carbonation. This is a great Old Ale.

Warmer Winter Winter Warmer from Cigar City Brewing