Warmer Winter Winter Warmer - Cigar City Brewing

Warmer Winter Winter WarmerWarmer Winter Winter Warmer

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Old Ale |  11.00% ABV

A old ale with american hop varietals that has a complex citrus and caramelized toffee aroma and underlying notes of chocolate.

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008)
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Got this in a trade, but it was so long ago I forget who sent it, but thanks I'm looking forward to this. I'm guessing it is about a year old or so give or take a month or two.

Well fall is upon us where I'm at and the days are starting to get cold and crisp but still sunny so I thought I would pop something with a name like this one to ring in the colder weather.

A- Ruby red with more brown tones very sexy looking. The head was three fingers but has settles to a great frothy cappuccino looking head.

S- Smells like an American Barley wine, with a nose of hops coming though strong. Very boozy, burnt sugar, caramel, vanilla, and a cherry tobacco.

T- The taste is bready, nutty almost like a brown ale, but there is a coffee toffee taste. Slight dark fruit taste and candy taste. Not too bad.

M- Light body with a slick oily feel on the palate. The carbination is very light and creamy.

D- Easy to drink, tasty.

Growler.

Pours a clear dark amber color with a 1.5-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of lightly toasted malts with good amounts of sugar-coated prune and sugar-coated dried fig aromas. Also present are indistinct spices and very light hints of sourdough bread.

Tastes good. Caramel malt flavors with hints of toastiness kick things off and are joined quickly by indistinct spices. Midway through the sip hints of ripe pears and dried plum flavors enter into things. The fruit flavors are pushed aside by earthy hops that carry through to a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I wasn't a huge fan of this beer but like almost every other CCB beverage I've had it's unique. Worth a shot.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

7/21/2010

An extra received in a trade with Dstructo, thanks! Snifter. The beer appears burnt umber with a frothy two finger beige head. Retention is good and lacing is scattered.

The aroma is of candied and brown sugar, plums, toffee, dates, pine, grapefruit, and a lot of orange. Notes of caramel waft from my glass as the beer warms. Smells great.

Bitter grapefruit mingles with sweet caramel and brown sugar. The hop bitterness offsets the rich profile, making it sweet without being overbearing. Wow, this is pretty damn good. My preconceived notions were far off. The beer finishes with dates, spices, sweet caramel, pine, and moderately bitter grapefruit and orange. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky, with a perfect level of carbonation. This is a great Old Ale.

a - dark reddish brown pour with tan head.

s - fruit, citrus, and rock candy.

t - same as nose. some hops, but not over powering.

m - medium to heavy body. good carbonation

overall - very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I look forward to having one with some age on it.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Served into St Bernardus chalice on a cool summer night, guess it will have to suffice...

A--Nice deep ruby amber hue with some hints of lacing. Good carbonation out of the bottle.

S--spicy and peppery to be sure. Some floral notes to this one.

T--Nice flavor, some hops to it but not overwhelming. Caramel and cinnamon are the two most distinct flavors I get out of this brew. Some of the other classic winter brew flavors are there also, orange and coriander.

M--Very smooth and silky brew, great mouthfeel.

D--Well, not sure I would sit down and drink a bunch of this, you definitely can taste the burn in this one. Not the Hunahpu I was hoping to try first, but a nice introduction to Cigar City. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

A-pours a slightly hazy copper brown color with a fluffy tan head.

S-boozy acetone up front, notes of cinnamon, peppery spice, notes of twangy spice, brown malt, touch of caramel and toffee, light herbal hop finish.

T-caramel and toffee up front, burnt brown sugar, notes of spices, touch of pepper, citrus and herbal hop presence light in the back. a little boozy and hot in the finish.

M-very smooth and creamy on the palate, syrupy texture with a good full body and a nice carbonation.

D-a little hot but a nice complexity to it, well balanced and big bold flavors. Lose the booze and it would have been pretty solid.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Very deep, dark, mahogany color, with a big, rocky ecru colored head. Aromas of cocoa, caramel and spicy, earthy hops. On the palate, malt dominates, in a very good way, with brown sugar, raisins and caramel, accented nicely by zesty, citrusy hops. An excellent old ale, and something to look forward to for those forced to endure Florida's winters.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

750 mL bottle.

A: It pours a hazy brown, frothy, leaving lacing along the glass.

S: This old ale smells of chocolate, alcohol, toffee.

T: Chocolate and toffee dominate the palate, and the alcohol is nearly nonexistant.

M: Feels very smooth and carbonation is perfect.

D: This brew doesn't taste like 10%. It won't be too hard to finish the bottle.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

750mL champagne style bomber, poured into a tulip; shared with a friend at Pacific Standard in Brooklyn

Sits a deep, dark reddish brown while on the table, but when held up to the light, it is a rich, clear mahogany. Really pretty color. The tan head was amazingly sturdy and took forever to melt. Spider web lacing all over the glass.

Caramel, toffee and brown sugar hit me off the bat. Soft fruits are quickly in tow. Pears, apples and sweet cherries. Light citrus and pine are buried under this wonderful aroma.

The toffee and caramel are the major players here. Vinous fruit, pears and apples along with pine needles and citrus from the hops. This is extremely complex. Bittersweet dark chocolate, raisins and figs add a good amount of heft to the flavor profile.

Full body, lush and smooth. Tremendous. This is full and robust with a silky smooth finish of sweet fruits and toffee. The 10% is barely noticeable, extremely well-hidden.

I really enjoyed this beer, I just wish I had the whole bottle to myself. The flavor profile was just delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Chestnut brown in color-good sized head that fades though their is still an ongoing 1/8" left the whole way down. Nice lacing. Nice, heavy and malty aroma-slight brett notes. Dried fruits and vanilla. Caramel and sweet, sticky malt goodness upfront flavorwise. Very toffee like. Some hop bitterness. Again the dried fruit. Has a definate nuttiness to it as well. Very, and I mean very, slight alcohol tinge. Very solid and full mouthfeel-borders on creamy. Really a solid beer all around. Almost too easy to drink. Worth laying some down as well I would think.

Got this in a BIF from DosBeerigos. Can't wait to try it:

I poured this into my Duvel tulip and noticed the chestnut/mahogany colored body and light tan head. It seems much darker than I expected... until I realized it was an old ale. Then it seems to fit better. The head rose to slightly less than 2 fingers and has very nice retention. The lacing is spotty like the fur on a cheetah--- but I don't mean that in a bad way-- it is all over, little spots that don't connect but hold their location very well.

I smell some pine hops and cocoa... Some sweet toffee and caramel malts and some kind of tropical fruit? I can't place it though. Smells pretty good, if not a little out of place.

I taste more cocoa than I smell... And the finish has just a little piney bitterness that really works well here. The sweet malts act as the bridge to connect the flavors quite effectively. The malts really act as the star here though with some dry graininess mixed into the sweetness and a slight hint of toasted bread... Very enjoyable... but where's the alcohol? I really don't notice any... and I'm not used to that froma winter warmer! (although I do suppose that this is brewed for winters in warmer climates, so I won't hold it against the scoring).

Body seems just a little light for the style. Not bad, and it actually helps with the drinkability. I am going to finish this 750ML with great ease! I couldn't sit and drink these all night at a bar--- this would be better enjoyed on a brisk spring night with a bonfire and a snifter. Or maybe sitting in front of the fireplace re-reading "Look Homeward Angel." This actually could replace a lot of red wine in terms of when to drink it.

Added noted-- as it warms... so does the alcohol sensation. My chest and stomach are now nicely toasty and feeling good!

Thanks to Gtreid for this extra.

Poured into Bruery snifter.

Pours ½ finger of beige head that fades down fast to a thinner layer. Good retention from then. Low level of splattered lace. Color is a hazed caramel copper brown.

Aroma: Sweet and malty. Caramel and toffee. Some citrus fruit. Orange shows through nicely. Some pine hop bite. A bit of sweet sugary spice flavors. Some chocolate. A pretty decent old ale.

Taste: Big malt bomb. Lots of caramel and toffee flavors with some chocolate notes. This one is boozy which I expect from an old. Some dark dried fruit notes. Plums and raisins with some molasses. Fairly rich. The orange citrus fruit shows through a bit, but is masked more by the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little crisp, and relatively refreshing. A decent amount of carbonation with a fuller bodied. Ends sweet, malty, and warm.

Overall, a decent old ale. Better than others but, I still think HotD makes their old ale near the top of the style. CCB made a nice offering with this one. I am happy I got a chance to try it. Fairly drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Got this as a present from kbm months ago. It's pretty chilly tonight (by SoCal standards), and my window from now till November for cold weather is short, so I better do it now. On to the beer:

Dark leather brown color. The head is creamy, and it leaves a healthy amount of creamy lacing sticking to the glass. It's hoppy in the aroma. Moderately, juicy, tropical hops. To keep things honest, toffee crisp is provided by the malt. There is some amount of solvent alcohol hitting the nose.

Hops and malt, hops and malt. And a little bit of alcohol. It's a lot like the aroma: toffee crisp and juicy tropical type of hops. The feel is outstanding for a cold night. in fact, even for a big beer, it is luxurious. It is thick, smooth, and coats your palate. But don't drink it too fast (not that you can).

Tired of imperial stouts for cold weather? Well, try out WWWW.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Received this bottle as an extra for my third trade with Bucwild. Thanks again for a great trade David!

Appearance- Pours a darkish shade of amber/topaz out of the bottle with about two fingers of slightly orange-ish head. Decent head retention with it ultimately dying back to a thin sheeting across the top of the beer. Some very mild lacing as well.

Smell- A sweet smelling nose but delightful all the same. Toffee, caramel malts, and Turkish Delight. Really smells of these sweet candies, with perhaps the slightest detectable whiff of hops underneath.

Taste- Big on notes of toffee and caramel. Perhaps some candied nuts/roasted almond flavors coming through as well, and dare I say maybe even a little bit of maple syrup? I don't get much in the way of hops here though. Very nice flavor profile all the same.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is nice and substantial with enough carbonation to keep this sweet beer moving. Drinkability wasn't top notch however given how sweet this beer was. Really a sipper.

Overall, I remain consistently impressed with Cigar City beers. I liked this one a lot despite its sweetness, and it makes a very nice dessert beer.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Thanks goes out to Rbald42 for this brew.

750ml Bottle

Enjoying this brew on my 55th Birthday.

Poured into a chalice a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger creamy light tan head, with some nice small islands and sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some slight citrus/pine notes, chocolate/toffee. The taste is malty, sweet, slight citrus/pine notes in the finish, nice touch of chocolate/toffee. Medium body, at 10% ABV it's hidden pretty well. Very Drinkable, another very nice brew from CC.

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a bottle into a dogfish head signature glass. The beer pours a hazy, murky amber-to-brown. When held to the light there is a generous amount of orange around the edges. There is a one finger foamy white head that quickly fades to a tight cap but leaves a surprising amount of foamy lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is very inviting. Caramel, toffee, sweet milk chocolate, vanilla and a generous amount of sweet citrus notes that add complexity and balance. The nose is complex and well balanced, but very delicate. Each note is well represented but not overpowering.

The smell matches the nose, hints of caramel, toffee, vanilla and honey introduce the flavors and lead into the sweet milk chocolate notes. The dry fresh citrus notes come in right as the flavor profile starts to border on too sweet, offering a juicy mandarin orange and some light lemon peel that balance all the sweetness and dry out the palate. The finish is another hint of caramel and some alcohol sweetness.

The beer is more carbonated than expected, which is a pleasant surprise, it is a little light bodied for an old ale. The beer is very well balanced and has a nice dry finish. This beer is complex, well balanced, and the 10% abv is very well hidden. I will have no problem drinking the entire bottle, and I will definitely seek this beer out in the future as well as all the barrel aged versions.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks a ton to Dyan for bringing out this unexpectedly towards the end of our tasting. I'm almost all caught up on imputting my notes from 2 weekends ago...

Garnet in color with a tint that lean towards cocoa-colored brown. The fluffy head is retained well and it leaves beautiful lacing on the sides of my glass. I don't think I have ever consumed an old ale that had head at all, let alone head that looked like this!

The nose is full of caramel, cocoa, brown sugar, and a surprising hoppy earthiness. Spices support the beer well, asn I get corriander and nutmeg. The taste is again earthy, highlighted by caramel, a honey sweetness, and some muted hop bitterness that serves only to round out the beer. The finish brings back the spices and the caramel and they linger on my palate.

This beer turned Melissa on to old ales, and I have to agree that it was quite well made. The body is phenomenal, and I like the texture that the carbonation brings on.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance of a viscous pour with a vigorous light tan head of tiny bubbles that left lacing all down the glass.

Smell of citrus, caramel, toffee and sweet malt.

Taste of sweet dark fruit. Plums, Apple, citrus, all very sweet. There is a lot of malt sweetness in this brew. Slightly unattenuated and barleywinelike with a thick viscous syrupy feeling to it. Sweet enough at 10 percent that you would think this one was stronger. There is a boozy presence as well as a very fresh taste to it and I really enjoyed it. Taste was similar to Brown Shuggah from Lagunitas. Plenty of caramelization / brown sugar to go around and a slick finish which I really enjoyed.
Definitely drinkable due to the fresh taste and light carbonation. I am sure time would not hurt this one as it is mostly sweet malt flavors and some spices which I cannot identify.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

Having had a couple different treatments of this one I was eagerly anticipating having the original. I decided it would be a good one to try on Easter as I had a good number to split it with me. Served chilled and poured into a 6 ounce tasting glass, this one was consumed on 04/04/2010.

The pour was a nice dark amber color with a small white head that rose up to about a half an inch but settled down nicely. Good lacing around the outside of the glass kept things going strong for me as it coated the inside thoroughly. The first aroma to hit the nose is a soft fruity one. Hints of pears, honey, notes of caramel and toffee. Very light, airy and complex and it seemed that the more it warmed the sweeter and fresher it seemed to become. Lots of fruits of various kinds coming out here now, very nicely done. The first sip was heaven on earth for me. I was seriously in awe of this one. Rich toffee and caramel, butterscotch undertones are all pinned against ripe fruits, mango and light citrus, hints of pear and apple. Enormous palate profile here as each sip seemed to bring something else to the table for me, not even knowing what was to come next I push on and it seems to just coat the tongue with each following note. Sublime. Smooth, even feel, medium in body with a touch of punch to it that brings it to the front. Again, ridiculously solid approach here. ABV very well hidden as I was able to simply go forward unimpeded.

Overall one of the best things I have had from CCB hands down. This was beyond a winner for me and I am thrilled to have another bottle to go back to. Hard to say if it will get better, as it was darn near perfect now. I must try in my opinion if you are big on the style.

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Generously shared by mfielden. Thanks, Mark.

A: Looks like an American Barleywine. Pours a very dark amber with ruby tint to it. Light beige head that is fairly thick and dense.

S: Citrus hops, toffee, chocolate.

T: Citrusy at first, leading me to think it's going to taste like an American Barleywine. But it gets progressive sweeter with caramel, toffee, nuts, chocolate, and brown sugar. A slight bite at the end (rye?).

M: It's chewy, a little syrupy. Some heat to this.

D: It's a decent old ale. I bet it will get better with time.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

kfsv034 sent me this as an extra in our Hunahpu's trade. Thanks, man! I really enjoyed this, and it was quite well-received at the tasting this past weekend.

Ruby red with a dense off-white head with great retention and nice lacing, this is one good-looking beer, especially for an old ale. The nose is great! Caramel, brown sugar and plenty hoppy with earthy hops. Quite sweet, there's some spice too, with nutmeg and some alcohol. The palate opens big and sweet with honey, caramel, toffee and an earthy bitterness, leafy and petrichor-like. Full in body with low carbonation, this is solid. Finishing sweet with flavors of toffee and a leafy hop character, I find the sweetness very pleasant; it's far from cloying. Spice is present, lingering on the finish. Great body, I'd drink this again.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a tulip.

Dark ruby, blood red color. Almond color head thats pretty thick and creamy. Clings to the glass nicely.

Aroma nutty, and toffee like. A touch of pine but not a ton. A small amount of chocolate also.

Taste is the same. Lots of roasted nuttiness, chocolate and brown sugar.

This is a full bodied old ale for sure. Thick and almost syrupy.

An ok sipper. Nothing i would seek out again.

From 3/27 notes.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one finger of white head. Nice froth.

s - Has a sticky sweet smell. Some caramel and dark fruits, as well as malts.

t - Tastes of dark fruits and sweet malts. Little bit of caramel.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - Thought this was pretty good. Nice sweet caramel and malt smell or taste. Would try again.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

750ml bottle via trade thanks to ben4321.

Pours slightly cloudy chestnut brown with a one-finger light beige head.

Aroma is pretty nice, lots of spices and caramel, chocolate, and citrus hops.

Flavor is really good and complex. Sweet caramel malt and toffee, chocolate, rye, and lots of spices. Piney and citrusy hops, along with orange peel. Even some wood, although this is not -bal aged.

Medium-full bodied and smooth with soft carbonation.

Decent drinkability. Overall a very unique and interesting winter warmer. Once again, Cigar City impresses.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Another thanks to Lerxst!

Pours almost dark, almost black, brown with a frothy 2 finger light tan head that fades slowly but sticks around till the bottom of the bottle.

Pine and citrus hops are up front in the aroma followed by caramel and roasty malts. Toffee and maple syrup as well. Alcohol makes an appearance towards the end. Spices come out as it warms.

Sweet and sticky. Citrus hops with lots of syrupy malt sweetness. Honey, grapefruit, toffee, some coffee, dark fruits. The sweetness takes over towards the end.

Syrupy and sticky mouthfeel. Small carbonation bubbles. Finish is long and resiny.

The sweetness got to me in the end. Even with the significant hop presence, it became a bit cloying towards the bottom of the bottle.

Warmer Winter Winter Warmer from Cigar City Brewing