Warmer Winter Winter Warmer - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Old Ale |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: cjgator3 on 12-05-2008

A old ale with american hop varietals that has a complex citrus and caramelized toffee aroma and underlying notes of chocolate.
4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Served into St Bernardus chalice on a cool summer night, guess it will have to suffice...

A--Nice deep ruby amber hue with some hints of lacing. Good carbonation out of the bottle.

S--spicy and peppery to be sure. Some floral notes to this one.

T--Nice flavor, some hops to it but not overwhelming. Caramel and cinnamon are the two most distinct flavors I get out of this brew. Some of the other classic winter brew flavors are there also, orange and coriander.

M--Very smooth and silky brew, great mouthfeel.

D--Well, not sure I would sit down and drink a bunch of this, you definitely can taste the burn in this one. Not the Hunahpu I was hoping to try first, but a nice introduction to Cigar City. Recommended. (720 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

Bottle picked up at Knightly Spirits on a trip to Orlando.

A: Pours a woody, deep brown with about two fingers of fluffy vanilla head, which sticks around pretty nicely. There's a bit of sticky, webbed lacing as well.

S: Raisins, earth, and heavy wood dominate the nose. There's a bit of lemon and grapefruit citrus and maybe also slight orange peel, as well as a little bit of cream. As it warms, becomes more caramel-like, and presents more hops.

T: Sweet, slightly syrupy and saccharine, slight toffee and plenty of malts, yet a ton of bitter hops and a bit of pine also.

M: creamy and a little spicy. More hot than I'd like--this is decent but there is still much to be improved upon.

D: not particularly so. I'm honestly having a bit of trouble getting through it. An interesting introduction to Cigar City. (817 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: 25.4oz bottle poured into a snifter. Colour is a dark, opaque brown. Enormous head fades with a little bit of retention.

Smell: Aromas are very sweet. I get some plums and raisins as well as dark sugars; brown sugar and perhaps molasses. A nice amount of balanced malt finishes up the smell.

Taste: Wow, so many layers and flavours here. It's almost too much. Starts out cloyingly sweet with the dark sugars and fruits. A sweet bitterness works its way through everything and finally that dark sweetness returns.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with a nice hint of carbonation. Very silky, sticky, and chewy.

Overall: What a complex beer. So many layers, so many flavours, it's quite an impressive brew. The only thing I don't really enjoy is the immense amount of sweetness. (782 characters)

Let me start by saying that any beer that i drain pour gets the lowest score possible.

Received as a extra in a trade.

I love Old Ales/Barley wines so i was excited to try this one.

Pour was fine nice amber look nice two finger off white head.

Smell like syrup super sweet no hops of any kind detected.

Taste like took a big mouth full of malt extract. If you took a barley wine poured it in a glass and mixed in 4 table spoons of sugar you would end up with this beer.

I drank one glass and had to drain pour the rest. (526 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

2010 vintage poured into a Cigar City snifter on 5/22/11.

Pours a deep dark brown with tons of light brown fluffy head, that takes a few minutes to dissipate, leaving moderate lacing on the glass. Nice pour, a little much head; I had to pour, wait, then pour again. Head Color is excellent and lacing is very pretty as well.

Smells of tons of caramel and roasted malts. Lots of sweet sugar and a little bit of fruit as well. I like the smell, well balanced, and doesn't change at all with warming.

Taste is, HOT DAMN thats sweet. Very tasty brew. Tons of caramel, toffee, some fruit and chocolate on the back end. This is really complex and with so many tastes it keeps you coming back for more.

Mouth feel is medium to heavy in weight. Resin keeps raisin and chocolate tastes on the pallate which is quite enjoyable.

Overall this is a very tasty brew and drinkability is between moderate and high. It takes a hit for the higher ABV and it is a little excessively sweet but this really is a great beer and I would like to score a couple more bottles to age and see how it turns out. (1,087 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%

A: Copper, mocha head that doesn't stay around for long. Body is cloudy as could be, murky brown color, slightly red hue. Not familiar with Old Ales but this looks like a barleywine to me.

S: Sweet caramel malt aroma turns to toasted, nutty, bready notes before an acrid alcohol smell comes out. Some toffee notes. Smells like a malt bomb. Candy liquorice aroma is also there.

T: Trying to swish around on pallet, hard to pick up with all the flavors going on. I taste all I got in the aroma just blended together into a candy sweet, bready, toffee taste. Finishes with a sugary bubble gum like taste. However there is no strong alcohol taste, not even the slightest.

M: A slight bitterness comes and goes fast. After a couple sips the beer is so heavy it has a numbing effect on the pallet. A bubbly sensation hits the middle of my tongue.

O: I see how it is a Winter beer but it does not get cold enough for me in Florida to see an ideal drinking experience. I could make this an everyday beer up in Michigan though in the freezing cold and heavy snow. Very easy to drink and it will definitely warm you up:) (1,118 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A -
deep dark redish purple no visual carbonation along with a thick tan head that stay throughout

S -
An over whelming smell of grape but through the grape you can smell brown sugar and dark fruit

T -
huge grape right up front followed some very malty sugary notes some dark fruits on the back end of the swallow this is the same point you get some hints of the booze and hops

M -
the body is fairly thick and sticky kind of leaves the mouth a moist dry

O -
a lot a lot of flavors here and is much better as the beer warms up however with all these flavors it is not over whelming (592 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

C. Cloudy
H. The color of beet juice, like a blood reddish color
N. Sweet and malty! Smells like the wine from The Fermentation's wedding.

**Note** Not a fan of dark ales. **Note**
That being said HOLY JESUS THIS IS A GOOD BEER. This makes me want to go out side and streak....btw do you think KFC is still open!?!?! This beer has an akward nose to it sort-a malty but then an odd sweet almost like citrus. This is a true winter in Florida. Even better Cigar City just increased their capacity in Tampa and will be able to share more of this wonderful seasonal beer to the rest of the state. Grab it now....its really good. Its weird chocolatey in the front, middle is citrus-y good-ness, and then SMACK have some coffee! I look forward to more Cigar City's! GREAT JOB!!! (772 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at the brewery.
Pours a rich murky reddish brown, with a tiny white head that diminished quickly.
Sweet nose, caramel, caramelized sugar. I also get a little sweet fruit.
Lots of sweet flavors. Where to start... Brown sugar. Caramel, plum, a slight burnt malty roastyness, there is defiantly a bit of an alcohol burn. There is a lot going on. Maybe I need work on the style, but I'd dare to call it a little unbalanced.
Mouthfeel is real silky and sticky. Pretty big body, medium carbonation. Nice warming finish.
A good beer. I had it this time last year and had a heard time finishing it but i have come a long way since then. Let's see how it tastes next year. (672 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%

Prologue: I am reviewing the 2011-2012 version of this brew, which claims 11% ABV% as opposed to the 10% listed per Beeradvocate.

A-pours a murky, muddy, brown maple syrup into my Cigar City snifter with an aggressive creamy tan head that quickly rose to a couple inches. The head recedes slowly, leaving a nice sheen of lacing.

S-Super sugary sweet, molasses and fermented dried plum /apricot.

T-A sugar bomb overwhelms pretty much everything else going on here, but aside from this there is a yeasty breadiness, some spice, and the tiniest hint of hops crying out to be noticed

M-Thick, chewy, and sloppy.

O-I wish I had cellared this, because something is just not quite right as I work my way through this bottle. Not horrible by a long shot, but as I finish this thing I feel like I ought to go brush my teeth 3 or 5 times to ensure that I don't wake up tomorrow with a mouth full of cavities. Way too sweet right now. The smell leads one to think this could be brilliant, and I hope this brew will mellow with time.

Salud! (1,037 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Bottle provided to me by kfsv034.

A-Poured this into a Duvel tulip glass. Wonderful, fluffy head with good retention and great lacing. "India summer" from a Crayola box.I docked .5 for some sediment from the bottle conditioning.

S- I smell a little hotness from the high alcohol initially. Then I get some candied sugar smeel, similiar to that of a Belgian with some dark dried fruits. Good carmel malts with light hops come in on the back-end.

T- Dark dried fruits, like the taste with some hops bitterness. I get some pipe tobacco aftertaste.

M- Creamy and full. VERY smooth.

D- Ringing in @ 10% I could have a few of these from a pure drinkability standpoint. Great beer. (680 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Shared a bottle with drink1121

A - poured a burnt auburn with a reddish hue, full 1.5 finger head the appearance overall was very good.

S - At first following the pour i smelled candy malt and piney hops as the beer settled the smell became more of a belgium candy malt smell.

T - Wow this is my first old ale and i certainly wasn't disappointed. Huge candy malts up front that melted into carmel and burnt candy and finally a faint piney hop bitterness at the end.

M - not thin and not syrupy overall very good

D - the ABV is definitely masked well, this beer is so good i could certainly get myself into trouble without even knowing it. (643 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

A: deep brown murky in color, small head lingers with nice lacing
S: sweet, fruit/raisins, spices, wood, no alcohol
T: brown sugar and spice, very sweet with a balance of spice and slight hop bitterness, complex, very smooth, the alcohol peeks through
M: very full, syrupy, not heavily carbonated but a swirl quickly brings the head back
D: the sweetness starts to overwhelm by the end of the bottle, but the taste is so complex that it stays interesting, smooth but interesting

One of my favorite styles and I like big beers, this beer definitely delivers. (558 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a beautiful dark brownish color with a one finger creamy head. Looks fantastic in the glass. Aroma is pleasant dark fruits, spice, caramel, and slight smokiness. Not a very aromatic smell, but nice. Taste mirrors the smell. I get a nice malty sweetness up front. Tons of dark fruits and spice hitting the palate. Finishes with slight hops that leaves a semi-dry finish. I can detect a slight booziness, but nothing off-putting (especially for an 11% brew). Overall, a great winter warmer/old ale. Although this is a pretty sweet ale, there is enough hop bitterness that keeps this from being too sweet. (608 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -24.5%

The appearance is a dark murky brown with red hues and a half inch white head. Smells of sweet brown sugar and maybe some molasses. You can also definitely smell the booze. Taste for me was just too sweet. Very sugary and tart with a nice boozey background. Creamy mouthfeel, but for me the sweetness was just too much. I cant really describe the type of sweetness that well. I do like some sweet beers like Creme Brulee, but this one just had an awkward sweetness to it. My least favorite brew from Cigar City as of yet. (521 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%

Vintage 2011 (11%) dated December 2011 shared with my roommate.

Appearance: Most insane head I've ever seen…almost the whole glass and it overflowed. Foam started pouring out of the bottle when I put it down. Thought it was infected, but if you read the other reviews on here, you'll see the same thing happened to a lot of others.

Smell: Smells of malts, alcohol, plums and figs.

Taste - Tastes the same but with less alcohol burn. Just a nice warm feeling and very sweet. Some hops but not really…almost too sweet (don't think I could drink more than a pint of this) but very good.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy.

Overall: I was worried when I saw the reviews for this and paid $11 for the bottle but it was a good beer. My first "Old Ale" and it didn't disappoint. (778 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Left about two fingers of light tan head. Has a sweet malt smell. There is a slight roasted character to the aroma with hints of toffee. There is a noticeable alcohol character on the front end which is not surprising at 10% but it mellows as the sip progresses. Has a nice rich sweetness that is on the heavier side but not in a bad way. The roasted malt character is even slighter in the taste as it is overpowered by the sweetness. This one is hard for me to pinpoint the flavors in the sweet character, but overall this a very enjoyable beer. Nice to try a Winter Warmer that is different than others. (631 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured into snifter. Bottled in 2010.

Appearance: It has a dark, reddish brown color with tremendous off-white head.

Smell: Kind of a funky smell. Sweet at the same time. Fruity. Too funky though.

Taste: Awful sweet taste that overwhelms my palette. Caramel apples, caramel plums, toffee. Too sweet.

Mouthfeel: Very thick. Lightly carbonated.

Overall: Definitely not my favorite old ale. Much better ones out there. This way too sweet for me. (449 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Pint bottle served onto my tulip glass.

A: Dark brown, almost cola-like. Two inch beige head at pour, but dissipated after about a minute and a half. The lacing on my glass was nice and sticky.

S: Chocolate, coffee, malt, and dark fruits, accompanied by faint hops.

T: Initially this beer is malty and chocolaty, then a slight hoppy kick rounds the middle palate nicely...I was pleasantly surprised, even though I had read about it.

M: Silky, creamy long lasting goodness.

D: Easy drinking in my opinion, especially since this is right along my favorite flavor profile; However at 10%, this becomes a treat and not a session brew...for sure.

Epilogue: This is my favorite Cigar City offering so far and considering how cold it is in Brandon right now, this hits the proverbial spot perfectly.

PS. I say, honey turn the heater off, we're drinking this tonight!

Salud! (875 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

I'm in Florida and it's about 40 degrees out. It's 75 degrees at home. If there was ever a time for a winter warmer in Florida, it's now.

Appearance: opaque dark brown with tan hues. Moderate almond head with moderate to low retention. Good lacing.

Smell: At first blush it's all fruit: apple slices, slight banana, raisins and figs. Spices include cinnamon and clove. Tinge of alcohol in my nose. It's a wonderful smelling beer.

Taste: as the carbonation wears out the bitter versions of the smells listed out above come out which give way to heavy roasted (even burnt) malts. The alcohol is quite warming. The back end taste is a sweet bitterness on sides of the tongue almost like burnt sugar. It's good.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to soft carbonation with relatively high viscosity.

Drinkability: It's definitely a sipper, which exactly what I look for in a winter warmer.

This beer is hitting all the right notes on a balmy Florida evening. (945 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The style says old ale, but its definitely a barley wine.

Poured a 750ml into a Bernardus chalice. Dense brown A little hazy. White head that hung in there for a little bit.

Smell was very dense sweet aromas. Brown sugar, maple a little boozy as well.

Taste was nutty with a sweet dessert wine texture. Too early to drink perhaps. I would recommend a little cellar time(6 months - 2 years)

Overall last years was better for some reason. Too sweet for me and lacked balance. (478 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Purchased at whole foods in norristown pa
750 ml bottle to duvel sifter
Amber clear
amroma is american hops and carmel.
Taste wow it is awesome. first sips carmel with citrus bittness. then after more exoploring then is some rye notes and chocalte notes. as it warms up it does get a bit boozy but enjoyable. high recommended. (327 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Dark amber with a sizable head, but not a ton of lacing.
Smell: Complex notes of malt and a hint of leather. Nice.
Taste: Like candy.
Mouthfeel: Smooth but quite carbonated.
Overall: A nice old ale/barley wine style beer. I was pleased with the malt and citrus hop fusion. (284 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2%

2011-12 Version

Pours a big, foamy head over a mud-colored body. Head recedes a bit is pretty nonexistent after the first few sips. The nose is dominated by booze and chocolate with subtle undertones of rosemary and some other spices that I couldn't put my thumb on. Taste follows the smell, initially booze again on the front with a spicy chocolate backbone. Subtle hints of toffee and heavy cream are more prevalent as the beer warms. It's quite fizzy on the front of your tongue but finishes pretty clean. Overall, a good introduction to old ales for me. I think I'll cellar my other bottle for a while to see if the boozy nose and taste diminish a bit. (657 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this bottle at the Walk The Line On Barleywine competition - it had been brewed recently.

A: slightly hazy yellowish copper. Extreme large fluffy beige head of small bubbles persisted. Bottle was a slow gusher after beer had been poured - very slowly foaming over.

S: brown sugar, floral notes, toffee

T: big brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate, floral, black pepper, toffee, woody, spicy

M: Lighter body than expected for the full malt character, very creamy and fizzy due to the high carbonation

O: A nice combination of malt and spices, but way overcarbonated, and with too much residual sweetness (605 characters)

Warmer Winter Winter Warmer from Cigar City Brewing