Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

Reviews: 195 | Hads: 1,271
4.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal. Very dark in color with a slight head that boils down to nothing. Smells of fall. No other way to explain it, tastes like a very dark ale with many flavors and finishes off with the sweetness of pumpkin pie. One of the best CCB has to offer.

4.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 750ml bottle into a Wide tulip....

A: Darker than your normal pumpkin ale, except maybe something like DFH Punkin'. This has more of a light brown/amber murky look to it. Imperial looking, no doubt. I'm diggin it, sums up fall in a glass. Not much head to stick around.

S: WOW! This is not your ordinary Pumpkin Ale by any means... Huge sweet notes, desert beer qualities. Vanilla, pumpkin, apple pie, molasses, sweet dark figs, candied yams, brown sugar - fall beer heaven? More of an Autumn and fall smell than a strait up pumpkin spice, absolutely obsessed with this smell!

T: Just like the nose, the sweetness follows through with the best spice profile I can think of, almost too rich but just right! Drinks really smooth, not boozy like I heard last years version might have been. No off putting flavors what so ever, very easy and smooth drinking. This is an easy bottle to take down yourself. Imagine an organic pumpkin pie flavored apple sauce, that is what this reminds me of.

MF: Amazingly smooth and easy drinking, not bubbly or over carbonated. This is what I've been looking for in a fall beer.

O: I'd be surprised if you did a blind taste test of this and didn't pick out each flavor I listed. They are all there and so prominent, yet in perfect harmony. CCB went over the top with this beer, my new favorite fall release. Thankfully I have friends willing to send me bottles of this :D

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a CCB snifter.

Look: Pours rich amber in color. Light off white head with good lacing. All-in-all reminiscent of fall.

Smell: Spice on spice on spice! Smells very much like the season this beer is made to represent. Cinnamon, pumpkin, all-spice, etc. Everything you'd expect from a pumpkin beer.

Taste: All the pumpkin beer you can handle. Spice and pumpkin all over the palate, with a subtle hop flavor up front and a mild malt finish. But on top of all of this is the pumpkin, cinnamon, all-spice.

Feel: Very light feel for the style and ABV. Medium carbonation and not a bit of the alcohol is detectable for a seasoned drinker. Enjoyable on the palate.

Overall: So glad I picked up this beer! By far the best Pumpkin beer I've had. And one of the few that actually have pumpkin in it. It's a bummer that it is so damn hot outside in Florida right now. These flavors make me long for bon fires and cold nights. Pick one up or trade while you can!

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Much thx to my man velcrogrip! 2013 vintage.

Appearance: Orange cloudy rust with a half finger of white head. Hold it up to a light and it glows like a jackolantern...awesome.

Smell: Pumpkin flesh, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. There's also this raspberry/strawberry hard candy type of smell going on. This definitely smells a lot different than any pumpkin brews I've had. It's like all those other pumpkins, but on steroids.

Taste: Big sweet pumpkin and cloves up front. The middle gives some nutmeg and cinnamon. The end sees the pumpkin sweetness fade out nicely into a dry finish with spices lingering in the background. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, viscous and almost a bit syrupy. However, it is just perfect for this beer. Coats the tongue formidably with modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a big, sweet, syrupy beer and I love it. The huge pumpkin/clove sweetness and dry finish makes this a winner for me. I've found my new favorite pumpkin beer.

4.77/5  rDev +12.8%

2012 vintage; drank as freshly as possible.

A: Deep, rich pumpkin-orange/burnt orange; looks like Fall. 1 finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate rate.

S: Great aroma on this. Lots of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some brown sugar.

T: Outstanding. Following the nose, there is a lot of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. The clove is pretty muted in this brew for me (which is a plus as far as I'm concerned...I don't care for the pumpkin ales that are very clove-forward). On the finish, I'm getting some slightly buttery pie crust and some creamy whipped cream. Delicious.

M: A little bit of a sipper. At 8.5%, the ABV is well hidden but it does hit me a little bit. I drank about 1/2 a bomber in 1 sitting and sealed the rest for the following night.

I personally love Pumpkin Ales. I know it's a polarizing style, but they are among my favorites. Overall, this was well worth the online buy from Luekens'. I have been wanting to try this for a while and couldn't wait until Sept 1 (the "official" start of fall and football season in my book this year) to try it. For me, it kind of melded together a lot of elements of Schlafly Pumpkin (with the spice profile) and Pumking (with the buttery, whipped cream finish....without overdoing it as I feel Pumking sort of does). I will definitely be ordering more of this in the future. Seek it out!

4.76/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

on-tap @ star bar in denver

A remarkably good pumpkin beer - really great balance. Liquefied pumpkin pie, vanilla creme, yam, cinnamon, nutmeg and other autumnal spices, nice touch of warmth from the booze, pie crust. I was very impressed by this one - wish I had access

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter tulip.

Look is brown with amber highlights with thin head.

Aroma is malt and brown sugar with pumpkin spice notes. Lots of clove cinnamon and nutmeg, but well balanced. Like a delicate spice cake.

Taste is initially very spice, but it then mellows into this wonderful blend of malt and spice. Best pumpkin beer ever.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

Shared with jlindros after purchasing this gem up in Vermont. Poured into a Palm tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear copper hue with a nice offwhite head that leaves a nice thick blanket and great side lacing.

S - Wow, this is quite the pumpkin beer. Lots of nice cinnamon and nutmeg along with roasted pumpkin and some clove too. This really, really smells like pumpkin pie.

T - Oh my god is this tasty. Super pumpkin pie flavours. Creamy pumpkin puree, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This is exceptional in all aspects of the taste. There is no over the top flavours with this, its pure home made pumpkin pie mix liquified into my glass.

M - Lower carbonation resulting in a smooth creamy mouthfeel though there is a slight crisp finish. Flows very nicely along the tongue.

O - Overall holy cow is this spectacular. Hands down my favorite tasting pumpkin beer. Excellent flavours with a very nice appearance and nose. Its worth saying again that the flavours are spectactular. Really wish I could get my hands on another bottle of this stuff.

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a sniffer. Has a dark amber color with big aromas of pumpkin and spices. Mellow but present pumpkin flavor but most of the taste comes from a myriad of spices. Even gives off the flavor of being bourbon barrel aged and is rather alcoholic. This beer could use some aging to allow some more flavors to open up. (Like most pumpkin beers in my opinion). Nevertheless this is probably my second favorite pumpkin beer of all time and I thouroughly enjoyed drinking this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%

Originally had this on tap during my last trip to Tampa. Bought a 750 home and am currently enjoying the last few swigs.

Pours a hazy, dark amber with a rich two-finger head. Out-of-this-world nose: heavy allspice and cologne notes. Smells so rich and tasty, and definitely conjures all of the elements of pumpkin pie.

Taste follows the smell. Malty, spicy goodness up front with rich, creamy gourd backbone. Clear pumpkin pie spices predominate (cinnamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg). Medium to full-bodied. The finish is a heavy on the spice with a mild, analgesic burn that is pleasant; this finishing piece reminds me a bit of pickled ginger. Two things I appreciate the most about Good Gourd: the booze is hidden and the finish is not cloying. These latter points are sometimes missed by heavier pumpkin ales.

A really wonderful pumpkin ale that would pair nice by the fireside. Probably also good with traditional fall desserts (i.e., pumpkin and apple pie) as well as homemade french vanilla ice cream. You might take a chance, too, and try pairing it with grilled pork loin.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Sorry Pumking, this is the true king of pumpkin ales. Smell is obviously of pumpkin, allspice and cinnamon. For 8.5%, I got little to no alcohol burn on the back. The quintessential beer to celebrate autumn. Delicious. Highly recommended brew from Cigar City.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great looking pumpkin ale. Maple amber body. Yellowed-paper head has ok retention and nice lace.

S - Whoa. Outstanding nose. Fresh banana nut bread and carrot cake. Banana, walnuts, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar canned pumpkin, allspice, raisins.

T - Awesome flavor profile. This beer definitely lives up to the hype. Canned pumpkin, nutmeg, brown sugar, butterscotch, allspice, maple syrup, sweet molasses, cinnamon, graham cracker, vanilla. The only things missing are leaf piles and sweaters.

M - Thick, rich, smooth, and full bodied.

O - If you distilled fall, had your grandmother bake it into a pie, and then brewed a beer with it, this would be that beer.

4.71/5  rDev +11.3%

was shocked to find this locally the other day. supposedly got the last bottle of a single case that the shop got. we've always gotten cigar city, but never saw good gourd anywhere.

a - opened the bottle and filled my ccb snifter. beer poured a thin pumpkiny orange with a bubbly oily head that bubbled away quick. in the glass, the beer was lush and rich and transparent.

s - as soon as i opened the beer an AMAZING aroma filled the air. upon closer inspection...just marvelous. picture pumpking but better. pumpkin, cinnamon, apples...autumn.

t - wow, tastes just as good as it smells. very potpouri. festive. literally tastes like autumn. pumpkin, subtle balanced sweetness.

m - very smooth and medium bodied. booze is invisible.

o - overall, i think i may have just tasted the best pumpkin beer i've ever tried. it really is phenomenal...but if you don't like pumpkin beers, don't expect to like this one. here's hoping i see it again soon.

4.7/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This fall I had my first Good Gourd as my first beer for a tailgate; after most of the pumpkin hype season had died down. I poured it into a red wine glass (my best option) and immediately noticed that I liked the color and aroma much more than certain other pumpkin ales. My first sip, I was hooked. I bought up several more, two for this winter, and a few to age for next year. I picked the first one up for $13, and the next few for $14; and they were certainly worth the price IMHO.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - Dark orange/copper bordering on amber. Two fingers of off-white/eggshell head.

S -- Spices for days. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove. Pumpkin of course, but it doesn't dominate.

T - Much larger pumpkin presence on the taste. All the spices are here, but it is spicy like a top-shelf rum. Excellent vanilla or cream flavor with a big cinnamon finish.

M - Big and full mouthfeel. Makes full use of the 8.5%. Slight alcohol taste. Lots of carbonation moves everything along.

O - Fantastic pumpkin beer, one of the best (prolly the best) I've ever had. Complex and drinkable.

4.68/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours nice and amber into the glass
Smell is not exciting but the taste more than makes up for this, the mouthfeel is sooo good! This beer has taken the place as my favorite pumpkin beer! This is coming from someone who gets Schlaflys Pumpkin beer on a regular basis.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best pumpkin beers I have had. I did a taste test over thanksgiving with around 25 different pumpkin beers and this was one of the ones on the top.

4.62/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice copper color. Aroma is mostly spice; nutmeg & allspice. Aroma is slightly boozy. Nice mouthfeel, good body. Taste is a nice balance of spice, pumpkin, and malt. A little sweet at first but smooths out as the beer warms up.

Overall this is an excellent pumpkin ale. It is not a sickly sweet pumpkin pie ale. The spices, although prominent are not over powering. I highly recommend.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- hazy, orange in color. Pretty dark as you would expect pureed pumpkin to be.

S- smells of strong pumpkin, cinnamon, roasted nuts, and other winter spices I can't quite put my finger on

T- absolutely fantastic. pumpkin and spice through and through, but without being overly heavy for an imperial pumpkin ale. Truly the most reminiscent beer I have had to my grandmothers pumpkin pie

M- thick and coats your mouth, but not so much that you couldn't drink this on a warmer day

O- favorite pumpkin beer, and I have had many. Saw some people mixing it with Zhukov's the other night. interesting, but I love both just alone

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured on draft into an Irish pint glass.

A: Pours a deep amber/copper with an off-white head that thins out somewhat but maintains and laces nicely.

S: Notes of cinnamon, raisin, apples and nutmeg. The complex aromas mask the faint smell of pumpkin, which is a pleasant surprise in the typically overwhelmingly artificial pumpkin beer market.

T: Rich, spicy pumpkin casserole flavors complimented with spices that settle thickly and deliciously on the palate. A little boozy at 8.5% but pleasantly so.

M: Medium body with a light carbonation that actually dances on the tongue somewhat.

O: One of the better (if not best), richer, non-artificial tasting pumpkin beers on the market. A delicious ale great for bringing in the cooler Fall weather, this is definitely a beer that needs to be on the pumpkin beer drinker's list.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a deep amber orange color.

The aroma huge of sweet pumpkin, spices, cinnamon, tons of sweetness of a pumpkin crust, and some brown sugariness.

The flavor follows with this perfect melding of sweetness, pumpkin, a hint of spices, and then a creamy mouthfeel to back it up. There's almost this whip cream pumpkin flavor that combines with it that gives it a bigger body than it should have. What this beer does so well is that it's not pretending to be pumpkin pie, but really has that punch of juicy fruit real pumpkin in the front.

This really represents a perfect pumpkin pie in a beer. Pumking does a good job, but is a bit cloying on the sweetness. This has the perfect balance that really makes this the best pumpkin beer out there.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 1 pint 9.4oz btl into a nucleated tulip/snifter.
Cloudy opaque orange/amber color with an off-white head that diminishes into a light almost non-existent head that remains edged at the glass.
The upfront nose is spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a strong pumpkin smell that provides an excellent backing. Quite inviting!
The taste is well balanced with a strong pumpkin flavor and cinnamon spice pronouncing itself sharply on the back half. Wonderfully full bodied and creamy like an imperial pumpkin should be.
--Overall this will be a repeat buy. So far the best release of 2011 for my palate. Full bodied, creamy, with spice and a REAL pumpkin flavor. Delicious...

4.56/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours orangish-brown and transparent. Relatively thin tan head. Hue is interesting, not sure if I'm projecting extra orange onto it because I know it's a pumpkin beer.

Smell: Have not smelled many beers like this before. Definitely can detect the pumpkin, smells like pumpkin pie with hints of spice.

Taste: Very, very good. The pumpkin is the first thing I notice, rich sweet and creamy, but there is a little bite from the alcohol. Balanced wonderfully. After a sip I again can detect the pumpkin on my breath.

Mouthfeel: Similar to the taste this is a very smooth and creamy beer with some nice but modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a fantastic pumpkin beer. I've had some that are too sweet without balance, or where the pumpkin is overpowered with other spices, but CCB did a great job balancing the flavors and the heavy ABV gives it some character. One of my favorite seasonals from CCB and hands down my favorite pumpkin beer.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-murky dark orange with a nice cream colored head. good lacing.

S-pumpkin with a spicy and tangy aspect to it. the spicyness isn't the typical autumn spices though. it reminds me more of belgian witbier. smells really tasty and unique, though faint. actually there are some autumn spices too...i don't know...this is complex.

T-wow this is going to be talked about for years to come. this is great. comes in with a great taste of pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sweet potato! its a great taste with strong flavors. it goes in to a slight bitterness then ends with a long lasting after-taste of pumpkin, brown sugar, and sweet potato. this is amazing.

M-creamy low carbonation with a semi-dry finish

O-as far as pumpkin ales go, i've only ever liked pumpkin and pumpking. i've now added good gourd. in fact, this puts punkin to shame. its such a complex and balanced blend of great flavors.

4.53/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up about 8 of these after my wife tried this at Cigar City and fell in love with it.

Served in a Disney Polynesian Resort shaped-glass.

A: Poured fairly clear, dark orange in color, and with a slight off-white head that didn't add up to much.

S: Not quite as marshmallowy as "Pumpking," but still quite dessert-like. I got some of the spices for sure, but it had a sweet potato-like quality that was to die for.

T: The best pumpkin ale I've ever tasted. Seriously, I got the pumpkin pie, of course, but it also had a bit of salt and pumpkin seeds to boot. Remarkable. The off-kilterness (eg. Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg) definitely paid off.

M: The prickle was perfect, the sugar content was there, but it was totally appropriate for Thanksgiving.

O: It lived up to the hype and then some.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Cigar City Brewing