Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

Ratings: 1,163 | Reviews: 187
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: color was of burnt orange and toffee. Minimal head retention.

Smell: Picked up some pie crust, some nutmeg, and white chocolate. It smelled absolutely delicious. Its spices are there (nutmeg, cloves, allspice) but it does not attack you. The aroma is simple, not complex. Very satisfying.

Taste: This beer is pretty intense. It starts out fantastic; I tasted pumpkin pie - most notable was the pie crust, its had that nice biscuity buttered crust flavor. There was also that subtle burnt sweetness you get in baked goods, like toasted or melted brown sugar. As the beer start to warm up, the spices and other flavors I cannot describe became more prominent. The crust became harder to pick up and the spices became a bit overwhelming. A single glass of this is plenty. It was quite sweet, no bitterness. The crust, sugar and the spices were the most prominent aspect of this beer and like other pumpkin beers I have tried, I am missing the flavors of pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied mouthfeel. With the intense flavors of this beer, it's hard to cover all the bases of the beer.

Overall: this is something I'd like to share with someone. Not something to drink yourself. It holds well over night. I opened it the first night, did not finish it. Put a wine cork in, reopened it the next day and it tasted fine.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

For a pumpkin beer this has very good head retention and carbonation, though the carb is slightly loopy. Nice half a finger white head. Orange, auburn in color, slightly opaque, it looks warm and fall like. Full aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Really nice fresh spice pop, not muted at all. There is also some toasty malted aroma. Off the bat I can taste warm and toasted malts, some roasted squash flavor coupled with a good hit of vanilla. Mid palate all the way to the finish is freshly ground pumpkin pie spices. A tad cloying but not really too sweet just a really full bodied, full flavored pumpkin ale. I wish this beer had some more true pumpkin flavor, but otherwise this is very, very, good. This is so close to my favorite but Pumking still rains supreme for me.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Orange brown, light brown head

S- Sweet pumpkin pie malts with pumpkin pie spices to boot

T- More malts, smooth pumpkin pie. I feel like I'm getting the crust tasted in there too with the malts. High abv warming and pumpkin is what is in the aftertaste

M- Creamy medium/heavy bodied.

D- Great pumpkin ale and will revisit when able!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Bomber to tulip-pint (thanks to MinorThreat for this in a trade)

A - deep amber/brown in color; nice off-white foam head; some light lacing

S - pumpkin, toffee, burnt sugar; has some really nice malt notes cinnamon and sugar

T - damn fine pumpkin pie is what this tastes like; allspice, nutmeg; really caramel-heavy; brown sugar; maple syrup; not too sweet but caramel maltiness; some molasses

M - this beer is smooth; it's sweetness is there but not at all cloying; medium-bodied; really lightly carbonated; balanced

O - I seem to be one of a few who really love pumpkin beers; this is a phenomenal representation of this beer style/flavor; the sweetness is there but not at all overwhelmingly so; I almost don't taste any booziness...that says something at 8.5%; to me, this is a perfect fall offering

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%

Thanks to Dunt for the pour.

Pours out an amber orange pumpkin color with adequate foam.

Nose smells like fall, almost like a pumpkin pie. Pumpkin up front blended with cloves and a lot of sweetness.

Taste follows the nose - it's a pretty sweet beer up front. The pumpkin and spices are noticable, and it finishes with a bit of grainy, toasted, bready malt. Somehow - the more I sipped this - the less I appreciated the whole amalgamation. I did enjoy the pour, but think that if I had more than 5 or so ounces I'd have a hard time finishing it.

Feel is decent, well carbed, medium bodied, but a bit dry.

Overall, a bit dissapointing. I was hoping this would rival pumking or TREAT, but it doesn't quite make it there.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Dark amber with medium bodied off white head.

S: Nutmeg, pumpkin spice, malty and buttery pie crust.

T: Wow, very nice pumpkin beer. Spices up front, pumpkin, followed by a nice buttery finish.

M: Thick, coats the tongue.

O: Very nice example of a pumpkin ale. Best I have had.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Got this in a 32oz growler from my boy Matt (50belair) - thanks dude!

Nice mostly clear orange colored pour. Some decent dense foamy white head. Aroma is a nice blend of fall spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. The flavor is more of the same but just bolder and with the added hint of pumpkin. Very very tasty - this is EASILY one of my favorite pumpkin beers.

Carbonation is spot on and it has a nice balanced mouthfeel - not too thin, not too syrupy. The 9% is hidden amazingly well making this very drinkable.

Would LOVE to try this again sometime...

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

1,000th Rating of Good Gourd! Great beer!!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bomber. Pours deep amber orange. 1 finger of head. Dissipates quickly. Aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, sugar..Tastes like a good pumpkin pie. Less sweet than alewerks but still very good and smooth. Easy to drink. Same flavors in the mouth and on the way down. Very solid pumpkin beer. Perfect for football season and thanksgiving.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a pretty brown amber with nice clarity. Thin finger of foam leaving very little lacing. The nose hits with nutmeg, a dry vegetal pumpkin quality, cinnamon candy and baking spices - it is very much like pumpkin pie, spices are prevalent with almost a creamy pie crust scent. The nose is what gets me - multilayered complex chocolate notes - this beer looks like Theobroma and drinks like what Theobroma wishes it could be. Straight pumpkin pie in the mouth, full of spices and rich pumpkin flavor that finishes with nice carbonation and a dry vegetal quality at the end. Almost a touch astrigent on the finish and not a huge fan of the vegetal quality it presents but this is by far and away the best pumpkin beer i have had.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

2012 vintage; drank as freshly as possible.

A: Deep, rich pumpkin-orange/burnt orange; looks like Fall. 1 finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate rate.

S: Great aroma on this. Lots of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some brown sugar.

T: Outstanding. Following the nose, there is a lot of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. The clove is pretty muted in this brew for me (which is a plus as far as I'm concerned...I don't care for the pumpkin ales that are very clove-forward). On the finish, I'm getting some slightly buttery pie crust and some creamy whipped cream. Delicious.

M: A little bit of a sipper. At 8.5%, the ABV is well hidden but it does hit me a little bit. I drank about 1/2 a bomber in 1 sitting and sealed the rest for the following night.

I personally love Pumpkin Ales. I know it's a polarizing style, but they are among my favorites. Overall, this was well worth the online buy from Luekens'. I have been wanting to try this for a while and couldn't wait until Sept 1 (the "official" start of fall and football season in my book this year) to try it. For me, it kind of melded together a lot of elements of Schlafly Pumpkin (with the spice profile) and Pumking (with the buttery, whipped cream finish....without overdoing it as I feel Pumking sort of does). I will definitely be ordering more of this in the future. Seek it out!

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

pours a deep fiery orange with a very hazy look, and some big and fluffy off white head. not a lot of lacing.

smells deliciously pumpkiny and it has lots of cinnamon and clove notes. even what seems to be a slight chocolate scent as well.

the taste is slightly less pumpkiny and more beer like, even has a bit of sourness and a touch of that trademark cigar city funk.

the mouthfeel is very creamy with a slightly foamy and prickly carbonation. full bodied with a dry finish.

moderate drinkability and it has quite a bitter finish and is very full bodied, leaving you a bit full half-way through.

delicious pumpkin beer but it is a bit bitter in the finish, the smell however is totally where it's at. love cigar city beer.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

Served cool in a tulip.
Bottled August 2011, drunk June 2012.
Bottled August 2012, drunk September 2012.
Bottled August 2012, drunk March 2013.
Bottled August 2012, drunk April 2013.

A - 3.5 - Cloudy amber like unfiltered apple cider. Fizzy head gone very quickly.

S - 4.0 - So fragrant immediately upon popping the cap. All the spices come through, especially the allspice and cloves, with the pumpkin playing second fiddle. It reminds me of the smell of turning up a mug of hot spiced apple cider around the holidays, and not just because of the spices.

T - 4.0 - The same spices are there on the palate, as well as something else, like dark gingerbread Christmas cookies. I'm not sure I get too much actual pumpkin but that's fine with me. Just a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste. I'm not even sure it's a hop bitterness, more like an apple peel astringent bitterness. Zero booze detected.

M - 4.0 - Originally lighter bodied than what I was expecting. Finishes clean just on the edge of dry. But as it has aged it has gotten a somewhat thicker slicker mouthfeel. Still ends substantially tannic though.

O - 4.0 - I first drank this fall seasonal the June after its release. It wasn't even fresh but still tasted fine. Then I had it fresh the following release and it wasn't much different. Then that one again the following March. I swear a bit of age actually makes it better, counterintuitively. It isn't one I'd want to session all night given the specialty flavors involved, but as a special seasonal, a 375ml is nice. Usually I'm a few sips in to a pumpkin beer before it starts to feel like a chore to get through it, but this one is nice. April 2013 bottle confirms that this keeps getting better with age.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured into my Surly goblet....
A - Pours a hazy amber brown with a small foamy head that reduces quickly to a thin cover and ring. Looks great.
S - Not overpowering but a pleasant aroma of pumpkin and spices.
T - Medium strong pumpkin flavor with a hint of spices.
M - Medium creamy mouth feel, flavor hangs around for a good long time.
O - The key to any great beer is balance and this beer has it. The pumpkin and the splices are well matched to the beer, nothing is overpowering. Delicious, the best pumpkin beer I've tasted in 2014.

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Orange/Caramel in color, pours a slight white head, has some lacing.

Smell: Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, vanilla and pumpkin, just as it promises.

Taste: Not quite as strong as the aroma, but definitely taste nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, vanilla and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, good carbonation, fairly dry, smooth.

Overall: A good pumpkin beer. A bit light on the spices and lighter in body than I prefer in a pumpkin beer. Very smooth, and very drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

October 28, 2014

Nitro tap, Snifter glass

A – Dark brown, mostly opaque but some ruby highlights where light passes through. Nice clarity. Firm, thick foam head, tan-white, an inch or so tall and it goes nowhere. Impressive nitro pour.

S – Just a slight hint of fall/pie spice. More of a sweet character from the use of actual pumpkin. Minor bitter hops on the nose.

T – Very strong harvest / fall / pumpkin flavor, melded well with a sweet malt backbone and perhaps some spicy yeast notes.

M – Creamy, foamy texture, very smooth from the effect of the nitro dispense. Mild sweetness, a touch of bitterness, all in harmony.

O – Of all the harvest/pumpkin beers, this is one of the best (if not THE best) I’ve had. The creaminess from the nitro puts it over the top.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle with cool labelwork & has me excited with the beefed up abv! Damn I love big beers!

Blood orange red color in the glass plays to the theme. Fluffy off white head fills the glass out well, making for a good looking beverage. Suprise, suprise! Sweet pumpkin spices, cinnamon & nutmeg hit the nostrils. Expected this for an imperial pumpkin. Smells fucking good. Same on the palate but with a full body, neatly creamy in texture, but well carbonated.

Overall, this is my favorite pumpkin ale of the season. At $11.99 per bottle, its a bit price to get again. Well worth trying it once though - loved it.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from that beautiful 750ml into a pint glass.

Look: It pours out a very bronze color, with a light, puffy head, which so far, hasn't completely dissipated. (I've almost drank it all.) It has a nice solid lacing as well. Overall, a very welcoming look, that makes me wish it was actually fall.

Smell: Man this has a lot going on. I'm not very experienced in these particular ingredients, so it's been fun trying to distinguish what is going on. I'm getting an apple/cinnamon smell that is very pronounced. There are a couple of other things that, that I can't quite articulate. Maybe nutmeg.

Taste: Completely satisfying. It has a strong cinnamon/pumpkin spice right up front. I'm getting a bit of the malt near the end. I'm still getting a bit of the apple that I scented earlier as well. A very complete taste beginning to end.

Feel: This is where the imperial kicks in for sure. You can detect a bit of the 8.5% abv here, but it is still pretty well hidden. It's light feeling, but not because of the carbonation. I'd say the carbonation is a bit low, but this doesn't come off as a heavy brew at all. Very enjoyable.

Overall: I didn't want to get a fall beer this soon, but it being CCB, I went ahead and picked up a bottle. VERY GLAD I DID. It just makes me hate that it's summer now. I want to be cold and enjoying this fantastic beer. It looks great, the aroma last throughout, and the taste seemed to have something new throughout it's entire session. I've finished this glass, now I'm off for a refill.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Copper with ruby tones and an off white head that fades to a small ring and doesn't leave much lacing, if any. A bit flat looking, but I experience this with the style. Caramel, graham crusty malt, gord meat,cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and do I detect a hint of cream?! Starts off with a nice vegetal gord meat flavor that is wrapped in caramel and graham flavors. The spice weaves in early bringing a perfect level of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg spiciness. Lower carbonation and the body feels slightly thin. Overall it's a great pumpkin ale. It's top two for me next to Pumking.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated August 29, 2011
Poured into SN Snifter, 750 mL bottle

A: Pours an Auburn reddish, brownish, gold, with 2 fingers french vanilla colored head. Carbonation is streaming off of the bottom, little haze.

S: light pumpkin, spices, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, Caramel, bready malts. little hop scent.

T: Bready, with pumpkin sweetness, Almost pumking like in its "crust-yness" they managed to get the crust in there with the sweet pumpkin, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Has a nice earthy, citrusy, grassy hop presence as well, but not as prominent as Smuttynose Pumpkin. Really delicious.

M: Medium-heavy mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, drinkable, but I can definitely feel the alcohol in it.

O: This may be the best pumpkin beer I've had. Smuttynose is excellent, but slightly too hoppy, Pumking has just a little too much breadyness and sweetness, This is balanced, delicious and has a touch of what makes each other pumpkin ale great in it.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours an orange amber with a one finger head that sticks around in my bruery tulip. Aromas of pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and a bit of ginger. Taste follows nose, really creamy, smooth and easy to drink. This is a great pumpkin beer, I could drink it all year!

Poured from a 750 mL bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Dark hazy orange.

Smell: Cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice. A lot of cinnamon.

Taste: Just like the smell cinnamon is the superior taste. Then pumpkin, nutmeg and allspice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a dry finish.

Overall: A very good pumpkin ale. I had the pleasure of drinking this with my wife's best friend. She enjoyed this ale a lot too. I am impressed with every Cigar City brew I try. Whatever it is they do there I hope they never stop! This is my second favorite pumpkin ale next to Dogfish Heads. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass(all that my friend has)

A: Pours a deep orange with red tint. Almost like a bright blood moon. Produced a small slightly off white head which quickly receeded to outer ring of the glass with very little lacing. These aren't my glasses so head retention and lacing might not be accurate due to cleanliness.

S: The smell here is amazing! Immediately hit with a strong spice presence. Allspice and cinnamon with pumkin and sugar sweetness bringing in the back end. Smells just like I want a pumpkin ale to.

T: The taste is nice with good amounts of pumpkin and allspice. I don't notice the cinnamon on my palate but I do pick up a nice clove flavor. A decent bit of sweetness in this one reminding me of a nice pie.

M: Very light on my tounge. I was expecting this one to be a bit thicker at 8.5% abv. The medium amount of carbonation is nice for this beer. Another factor is the sweetness that registers on the tounge. At first I thought it was a bit much but after a glass I think it's very nice for the season.

O: Another great CCB brew. Pumkin beers aren't usually in my must have category but, after drinking this one I picked up a few bottles from my friend to consume later into the season. A definate must try.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Big thanks to Hdelavega for this one in a nice trade.

P-Big pumpkin on there and somewhat of a thanksgiving theme.

A-a hazy brownish orange. Didnt get much head from this one and the little bit that I did didn't last very long. Poured out real light. Cloudy look to it.

S-I get pumpkin and sugar. Sweet pie as well and lots of malts. Somewhat of a pilsner scent to it. Pumpkin crust and toppings as well.

T-nice. You can easily taste the spices as well as the pumpkin. Black pepper and slight spicy notes. Little bit of butterscotch as well. Interesting.

M-thin, easy to drink. Not to overwhelming. Light body to it and finishes well with the pumpkin lingering around. Would be a little better with a little less spice. Carbonation is good as well.

O-different. Not what I usually drink but something that's good with food and desert. Spices are a bit overbearing but blend in well. Nice beer.

Google it, everyone will say the same and so do I.

Buy two, if possible, drink one now and the drink one in a year or so when the hops have retired more-so. A whole different beer.

No bitterness or whim-like ingredients to see what happens. This was tested and approved unanimously over, and over and over and over again.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Cigar City Brewing