Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle purchased at the brewpub. Pours a deep dark reddish orange with a nice fluffy off white head with a slightly orange hue. Aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some sweet vanilla, and some faint pumpkin, sweet sugar, and some booze when I take a big whiff. Sweet pumpkin flavor and some cinnamon and clove spice. Lingering sweet vanilla cream and pumpkin is definite a highlight here. Finishes nice, medium carbonation. Would be even better if it weren’t 105 with the humidity outside. Neat beer even for non pumpkin beer fans.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal. Very dark in color with a slight head that boils down to nothing. Smells of fall. No other way to explain it, tastes like a very dark ale with many flavors and finishes off with the sweetness of pumpkin pie. One of the best CCB has to offer.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass(all that my friend has)

A: Pours a deep orange with red tint. Almost like a bright blood moon. Produced a small slightly off white head which quickly receeded to outer ring of the glass with very little lacing. These aren't my glasses so head retention and lacing might not be accurate due to cleanliness.

S: The smell here is amazing! Immediately hit with a strong spice presence. Allspice and cinnamon with pumkin and sugar sweetness bringing in the back end. Smells just like I want a pumpkin ale to.

T: The taste is nice with good amounts of pumpkin and allspice. I don't notice the cinnamon on my palate but I do pick up a nice clove flavor. A decent bit of sweetness in this one reminding me of a nice pie.

M: Very light on my tounge. I was expecting this one to be a bit thicker at 8.5% abv. The medium amount of carbonation is nice for this beer. Another factor is the sweetness that registers on the tounge. At first I thought it was a bit much but after a glass I think it's very nice for the season.

O: Another great CCB brew. Pumkin beers aren't usually in my must have category but, after drinking this one I picked up a few bottles from my friend to consume later into the season. A definate must try.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

I used to think Pumking was the best of its kind. Boy was I ever wrong, especially with this '13 batch. Good Gourd is easily the best pumpkin beer and is now my new holy grail. The smell isn't powerful but the taste is. A little gem right here. I can't wait to stock up.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep red with excellent clarity and a small head of foam that dissipates rather quickly.
Smells rather sweet with a lot of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and caramel.
The taste is fairly similar. Pretty sweet, but not overly so. Lots of spice, brown sugar, caramel, and surprisingly, cherries. Pretty low carbonation and a smooth finish.

The most hyped pumpkin ale in the world? I think so. But does it live up to the hype? Yes, I would say it does. It is truly unique, memorable, and delicious. CCB does it again.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up about 8 of these after my wife tried this at Cigar City and fell in love with it.

Served in a Disney Polynesian Resort shaped-glass.

A: Poured fairly clear, dark orange in color, and with a slight off-white head that didn't add up to much.

S: Not quite as marshmallowy as "Pumpking," but still quite dessert-like. I got some of the spices for sure, but it had a sweet potato-like quality that was to die for.

T: The best pumpkin ale I've ever tasted. Seriously, I got the pumpkin pie, of course, but it also had a bit of salt and pumpkin seeds to boot. Remarkable. The off-kilterness (eg. Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg) definitely paid off.

M: The prickle was perfect, the sugar content was there, but it was totally appropriate for Thanksgiving.

O: It lived up to the hype and then some.

4.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours orangish-brown and transparent. Relatively thin tan head. Hue is interesting, not sure if I'm projecting extra orange onto it because I know it's a pumpkin beer.

Smell: Have not smelled many beers like this before. Definitely can detect the pumpkin, smells like pumpkin pie with hints of spice.

Taste: Very, very good. The pumpkin is the first thing I notice, rich sweet and creamy, but there is a little bite from the alcohol. Balanced wonderfully. After a sip I again can detect the pumpkin on my breath.

Mouthfeel: Similar to the taste this is a very smooth and creamy beer with some nice but modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a fantastic pumpkin beer. I've had some that are too sweet without balance, or where the pumpkin is overpowered with other spices, but CCB did a great job balancing the flavors and the heavy ABV gives it some character. One of my favorite seasonals from CCB and hands down my favorite pumpkin beer.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a CCB snifter.

Look: Pours rich amber in color. Light off white head with good lacing. All-in-all reminiscent of fall.

Smell: Spice on spice on spice! Smells very much like the season this beer is made to represent. Cinnamon, pumpkin, all-spice, etc. Everything you'd expect from a pumpkin beer.

Taste: All the pumpkin beer you can handle. Spice and pumpkin all over the palate, with a subtle hop flavor up front and a mild malt finish. But on top of all of this is the pumpkin, cinnamon, all-spice.

Feel: Very light feel for the style and ABV. Medium carbonation and not a bit of the alcohol is detectable for a seasoned drinker. Enjoyable on the palate.

Overall: So glad I picked up this beer! By far the best Pumpkin beer I've had. And one of the few that actually have pumpkin in it. It's a bummer that it is so damn hot outside in Florida right now. These flavors make me long for bon fires and cold nights. Pick one up or trade while you can!

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from that beautiful 750ml into a pint glass.

Look: It pours out a very bronze color, with a light, puffy head, which so far, hasn't completely dissipated. (I've almost drank it all.) It has a nice solid lacing as well. Overall, a very welcoming look, that makes me wish it was actually fall.

Smell: Man this has a lot going on. I'm not very experienced in these particular ingredients, so it's been fun trying to distinguish what is going on. I'm getting an apple/cinnamon smell that is very pronounced. There are a couple of other things that, that I can't quite articulate. Maybe nutmeg.

Taste: Completely satisfying. It has a strong cinnamon/pumpkin spice right up front. I'm getting a bit of the malt near the end. I'm still getting a bit of the apple that I scented earlier as well. A very complete taste beginning to end.

Feel: This is where the imperial kicks in for sure. You can detect a bit of the 8.5% abv here, but it is still pretty well hidden. It's light feeling, but not because of the carbonation. I'd say the carbonation is a bit low, but this doesn't come off as a heavy brew at all. Very enjoyable.

Overall: I didn't want to get a fall beer this soon, but it being CCB, I went ahead and picked up a bottle. VERY GLAD I DID. It just makes me hate that it's summer now. I want to be cold and enjoying this fantastic beer. It looks great, the aroma last throughout, and the taste seemed to have something new throughout it's entire session. I've finished this glass, now I'm off for a refill.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Cigar City Brewing