Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle into a snifter. thanks to an at Mekong for sampling out the bottle.

pours a dark orange with a small head. smell is BIG on nutmeg and pumpkin. taste is identical. amazing flavor and perhaps the best pumpkin beer I've ever tried. lingering pumpkin taste. love it. thoroughly recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Bought this today and just cracked it open. The aromas of Fall now waft through my room.

Pours a deep amber, almost a burnt sienna color, perfectly clear, with a short lived off-white head that diminishes into a slight ring in my snifter. Aromas are quite abundant and include tones of overripe squash (I believe the butternut variety... although sometimes when you carve a jack-o-lantern and leave it out for a week, you develop a pre-rotting pumpkin smell that is actually pleasant), vanilla, maple, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and cinnamon. This reminds me deeply of walking into Yankee Candle during October/November. I think emphasis is mainly of the nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon; this is a spice bomb. The flavor is akin to the bouquet. It begins sweet with maple and sweet caramel malt, evolving quickly into the spices aforementioned, and finishes sweet with much nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon residue. I will add that the spices come as an explosion and leaves little subtlety for the imagination. Vanilla may be an afterthought, but very diminished. The feel is slick and rich with smooth carbonation. This beer is nearly cloying in my opinion and I am one who enjoys intensely sweet beers. However, the body is appropriate for supporting the plethora of flavors.

Overall, I think this is a big, bold treat that is intensely flavorful and will definitely sneak up on those unaware of its potency. It is probably one to be shared amongst friends on a chillier evening after a nice meal. I can see this pairing well with desserts during the Thanksgiving holidays. In my current position in hot, humid Florida, probably not the best thing. A well made beer by CCB, probably one of the better ones they have to offer. If I were to make changes, I would balance the spices a little more, maybe less clove and cinnamon.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle purchased at the brewpub. Pours a deep dark reddish orange with a nice fluffy off white head with a slightly orange hue. Aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some sweet vanilla, and some faint pumpkin, sweet sugar, and some booze when I take a big whiff. Sweet pumpkin flavor and some cinnamon and clove spice. Lingering sweet vanilla cream and pumpkin is definite a highlight here. Finishes nice, medium carbonation. Would be even better if it weren’t 105 with the humidity outside. Neat beer even for non pumpkin beer fans.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal. Very dark in color with a slight head that boils down to nothing. Smells of fall. No other way to explain it, tastes like a very dark ale with many flavors and finishes off with the sweetness of pumpkin pie. One of the best CCB has to offer.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass(all that my friend has)

A: Pours a deep orange with red tint. Almost like a bright blood moon. Produced a small slightly off white head which quickly receeded to outer ring of the glass with very little lacing. These aren't my glasses so head retention and lacing might not be accurate due to cleanliness.

S: The smell here is amazing! Immediately hit with a strong spice presence. Allspice and cinnamon with pumkin and sugar sweetness bringing in the back end. Smells just like I want a pumpkin ale to.

T: The taste is nice with good amounts of pumpkin and allspice. I don't notice the cinnamon on my palate but I do pick up a nice clove flavor. A decent bit of sweetness in this one reminding me of a nice pie.

M: Very light on my tounge. I was expecting this one to be a bit thicker at 8.5% abv. The medium amount of carbonation is nice for this beer. Another factor is the sweetness that registers on the tounge. At first I thought it was a bit much but after a glass I think it's very nice for the season.

O: Another great CCB brew. Pumkin beers aren't usually in my must have category but, after drinking this one I picked up a few bottles from my friend to consume later into the season. A definate must try.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

I used to think Pumking was the best of its kind. Boy was I ever wrong, especially with this '13 batch. Good Gourd is easily the best pumpkin beer and is now my new holy grail. The smell isn't powerful but the taste is. A little gem right here. I can't wait to stock up.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Cigar City Brewing