Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

First time I had this beer was on tap at Cigar City Brewing' s taproom.

A. Beer was slightly cloudy with thick creamy head.

S. First there was lots of malts and hops followed by pumpkin and spices. The combination was awesome.

T. First the hops smacks your taste buds followed by a nice spice pumpkin after taste.

M. Very smooth for a hippy beer and does not taste boozy for an 8.5% beer.

O. The best pumpkin ale I have ever tasted!

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This fall I had my first Good Gourd as my first beer for a tailgate; after most of the pumpkin hype season had died down. I poured it into a red wine glass (my best option) and immediately noticed that I liked the color and aroma much more than certain other pumpkin ales. My first sip, I was hooked. I bought up several more, two for this winter, and a few to age for next year. I picked the first one up for $13, and the next few for $14; and they were certainly worth the price IMHO.

3.55/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my cousin from Tampa for getting me this. Reviewed from notes on Christmas Eve.

A- Dark brown body poured into a pint glass with some red around the edges. Creamy off white head forms and a nice ring does too. Decent cap retention and a few spots of lace here and there.

S- Pumpkin, nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon. Dark fruit and raisin as well as some toasted brown malts. Medium spice level.

T- More like a pie here with a sweet, somewhat dessert creamy feel. Spice like nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger at a moderate level. Dark fruit is slightly medicinal. Pumpkin, toasted malts and brown sugar hints round it all out.

MF- Creamy and fairly thick body. Carbonation has a silky feel and is on the lower-medium level. A bit of alcohol warmth.

Solid for a higher ABV pumpkin ale. Not too spicy and a pretty good balance.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at the brewery with JJ. What a cool spot.

A - Amber/Brown with an off white head.

S - Cinnamon, burnt sugar, toffee, and PUMPKIN.

T - Allspice, nutmeg, molasses, sugar, pumpkin, caramel, Damn this tasty. They have so many good beers on tap, Marshal Zhukov, Vanilla Brown Maduro, Jai Alai, and multiple other brewery only releases. I love pumpkin so tried this beer and I was not disappointed.

M - Smooth, Sweet but not overly so, well balances, light carbonation.

O - Fantastic pumpkin beer. Another hit from CC. Hardly taste the booze for the ABV. Another reason I love Cigar City. Beers like this make me wonder why there's not more love for pumpkin beers... but I suppose to each their own.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

Closet aged for a year - about the best I can do.

A - cloudy orange, nice head, little lacing

S - pumpkin pie, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, fruity, sweet

T - follows the nose, cinnamon first, allspice next, followed by some fruit and caramel, and just enough bitterness to not be sweet

M - creamy, buttery, quite rich

O - its pumpkin beer - not my first choice - but this is well done and delivers what I would expect from a fall / pumpkin pie inspired beer

When I first had a fresh bottle of this I thought the alcohol interfered with the beer - 13 months of age did wonders.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%