Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

It pours orange in color leaving very little head and tracing. Cinammon and nutmeg spices are prevelant in the smell. Very well balanced between sweetness and tart. Tastes like a liquified pumpkin pie with a slight alcohol aftertaste. For an 8%, the alcohol aftertaste isn't inappropriate or intruding. Nice warm feeling in the stomach! Try it!

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal. Very dark in color with a slight head that boils down to nothing. Smells of fall. No other way to explain it, tastes like a very dark ale with many flavors and finishes off with the sweetness of pumpkin pie. One of the best CCB has to offer.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a CCB snifter.

Look: Pours rich amber in color. Light off white head with good lacing. All-in-all reminiscent of fall.

Smell: Spice on spice on spice! Smells very much like the season this beer is made to represent. Cinnamon, pumpkin, all-spice, etc. Everything you'd expect from a pumpkin beer.

Taste: All the pumpkin beer you can handle. Spice and pumpkin all over the palate, with a subtle hop flavor up front and a mild malt finish. But on top of all of this is the pumpkin, cinnamon, all-spice.

Feel: Very light feel for the style and ABV. Medium carbonation and not a bit of the alcohol is detectable for a seasoned drinker. Enjoyable on the palate.

Overall: So glad I picked up this beer! By far the best Pumpkin beer I've had. And one of the few that actually have pumpkin in it. It's a bummer that it is so damn hot outside in Florida right now. These flavors make me long for bon fires and cold nights. Pick one up or trade while you can!

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A-Pours amber in color. Head fades fast. Lace is decent.

S-Aroma is amazing, Cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg shows above all else.

T- Pumpkin spice, Cinnamon nutmeg and brown sugar. The pumkin is so "pumpkiney" (if thats not a word it is now). Very Sweet to me.

M- Medium . covers the mouth with flavor.

O-Beautiful beer. CCB has not made anything that i don't like. This is by far the best Pumpkin beer in the world. Amazing A+++

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

on-tap @ star bar in denver

A remarkably good pumpkin beer - really great balance. Liquefied pumpkin pie, vanilla creme, yam, cinnamon, nutmeg and other autumnal spices, nice touch of warmth from the booze, pie crust. I was very impressed by this one - wish I had access

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Served from a 750ml bottle into a Wide tulip....

A: Darker than your normal pumpkin ale, except maybe something like DFH Punkin'. This has more of a light brown/amber murky look to it. Imperial looking, no doubt. I'm diggin it, sums up fall in a glass. Not much head to stick around.

S: WOW! This is not your ordinary Pumpkin Ale by any means... Huge sweet notes, desert beer qualities. Vanilla, pumpkin, apple pie, molasses, sweet dark figs, candied yams, brown sugar - fall beer heaven? More of an Autumn and fall smell than a strait up pumpkin spice, absolutely obsessed with this smell!

T: Just like the nose, the sweetness follows through with the best spice profile I can think of, almost too rich but just right! Drinks really smooth, not boozy like I heard last years version might have been. No off putting flavors what so ever, very easy and smooth drinking. This is an easy bottle to take down yourself. Imagine an organic pumpkin pie flavored apple sauce, that is what this reminds me of.

MF: Amazingly smooth and easy drinking, not bubbly or over carbonated. This is what I've been looking for in a fall beer.

O: I'd be surprised if you did a blind taste test of this and didn't pick out each flavor I listed. They are all there and so prominent, yet in perfect harmony. CCB went over the top with this beer, my new favorite fall release. Thankfully I have friends willing to send me bottles of this :D

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

2012 vintage; drank as freshly as possible.

A: Deep, rich pumpkin-orange/burnt orange; looks like Fall. 1 finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate rate.

S: Great aroma on this. Lots of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some brown sugar.

T: Outstanding. Following the nose, there is a lot of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. The clove is pretty muted in this brew for me (which is a plus as far as I'm concerned...I don't care for the pumpkin ales that are very clove-forward). On the finish, I'm getting some slightly buttery pie crust and some creamy whipped cream. Delicious.

M: A little bit of a sipper. At 8.5%, the ABV is well hidden but it does hit me a little bit. I drank about 1/2 a bomber in 1 sitting and sealed the rest for the following night.

I personally love Pumpkin Ales. I know it's a polarizing style, but they are among my favorites. Overall, this was well worth the online buy from Luekens'. I have been wanting to try this for a while and couldn't wait until Sept 1 (the "official" start of fall and football season in my book this year) to try it. For me, it kind of melded together a lot of elements of Schlafly Pumpkin (with the spice profile) and Pumking (with the buttery, whipped cream finish....without overdoing it as I feel Pumking sort of does). I will definitely be ordering more of this in the future. Seek it out!

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Shared with jlindros after purchasing this gem up in Vermont. Poured into a Palm tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear copper hue with a nice offwhite head that leaves a nice thick blanket and great side lacing.

S - Wow, this is quite the pumpkin beer. Lots of nice cinnamon and nutmeg along with roasted pumpkin and some clove too. This really, really smells like pumpkin pie.

T - Oh my god is this tasty. Super pumpkin pie flavours. Creamy pumpkin puree, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. This is exceptional in all aspects of the taste. There is no over the top flavours with this, its pure home made pumpkin pie mix liquified into my glass.

M - Lower carbonation resulting in a smooth creamy mouthfeel though there is a slight crisp finish. Flows very nicely along the tongue.

O - Overall holy cow is this spectacular. Hands down my favorite tasting pumpkin beer. Excellent flavours with a very nice appearance and nose. Its worth saying again that the flavours are spectactular. Really wish I could get my hands on another bottle of this stuff.

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%

4.76/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Much thx to my man velcrogrip! 2013 vintage.

Appearance: Orange cloudy rust with a half finger of white head. Hold it up to a light and it glows like a jackolantern...awesome.

Smell: Pumpkin flesh, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. There's also this raspberry/strawberry hard candy type of smell going on. This definitely smells a lot different than any pumpkin brews I've had. It's like all those other pumpkins, but on steroids.

Taste: Big sweet pumpkin and cloves up front. The middle gives some nutmeg and cinnamon. The end sees the pumpkin sweetness fade out nicely into a dry finish with spices lingering in the background. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, viscous and almost a bit syrupy. However, it is just perfect for this beer. Coats the tongue formidably with modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a big, sweet, syrupy beer and I love it. The huge pumpkin/clove sweetness and dry finish makes this a winner for me. I've found my new favorite pumpkin beer.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Cigar City Brewing