2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin AleGood Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 792 | Reviews: 154 | Show All Ratings:
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750 ml capped bottle poured into a snifter
8.5% ABV,

A - Completely clouded, this deep chestnut brown beer has beautiful pumpkin orange highlights and maintains it's thick ivory head wonderfully, leaving dots of lace around the snifter.

S - Good Gourd smells familiar but has an aroma unlike any other pumpkin beer. This hefty brew incorporates enough pumpkin to make you think you poked your head inside one after you gutted old Jack. The spice, while smelling somewhat typical, has a fantastic twist; nutmeg is in the presence of Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican allspice, and Zanzibar cloves for a blend that sure to raise an eyebrow. And let's not forget the smooth and sweet caramel and toffee base. Absolutely wonderful.

T - How much difference does spice from another region make, you ask? Good Gourd is clearly similar to other pumpkin beers in many regards but the one thing that, from the first sip, immediately sets this beer apart is it's use of unique spices giving it incredible distinction. Beyond the spices, wonderful roasted pumpkin and sweet, sweet malt beef up the beer with sticky melted caramel pumpkin seed flavor.

M - Good Gourd is a hefty beer boasting 8.5% ABV but it's hidden very well behind a rich, full body and sweet maltiness that's balanced exceptionally by wonderful spice. This filling, pie-like beer is equally as smooth as a slice for a luscious and enjoyable sipping experience.

O - In a sea of pumpkin beers released all too early, Good Gourd stands head and shoulders above the crowd, with a wonderful familiarity like that pie your aunt always brings to Thanksgiving, but this time it's tweaked. Cigar City's use of intercontinental spice gives Good Gourd a truly one-of-a-kind aroma and flavor. If you can get it, make this the one must-try pumpkin beer of the season.

09-06-2013 11:59:47 | More by BeerFMAndy
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thank you Brandon.

The beer is copper to amber hued with a quarter inch of off white head. Crimson highlights in the body. The aroma brings cinnamon, pumpkin pie, pie filling, sugar, while cream. Sweet and spicy with a smooth malty body. A touch of alcohol warmth in the finish. Really solid. Splitting the bottle a few ways is probably best.

09-03-2013 01:33:30 | More by Huhzubendah
TheChef18

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- hazy, orange in color. Pretty dark as you would expect pureed pumpkin to be.

S- smells of strong pumpkin, cinnamon, roasted nuts, and other winter spices I can't quite put my finger on

T- absolutely fantastic. pumpkin and spice through and through, but without being overly heavy for an imperial pumpkin ale. Truly the most reminiscent beer I have had to my grandmothers pumpkin pie

M- thick and coats your mouth, but not so much that you couldn't drink this on a warmer day

O- favorite pumpkin beer, and I have had many. Saw some people mixing it with Zhukov's the other night. interesting, but I love both just alone

09-02-2013 14:23:06 | More by TheChef18
Axnjxn

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle into a snifter. thanks to an at Mekong for sampling out the bottle.

pours a dark orange with a small head. smell is BIG on nutmeg and pumpkin. taste is identical. amazing flavor and perhaps the best pumpkin beer I've ever tried. lingering pumpkin taste. love it. thoroughly recommended.

08-15-2013 21:40:18 | More by Axnjxn
DmanGTR

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Bought this today and just cracked it open. The aromas of Fall now waft through my room.

Pours a deep amber, almost a burnt sienna color, perfectly clear, with a short lived off-white head that diminishes into a slight ring in my snifter. Aromas are quite abundant and include tones of overripe squash (I believe the butternut variety... although sometimes when you carve a jack-o-lantern and leave it out for a week, you develop a pre-rotting pumpkin smell that is actually pleasant), vanilla, maple, nutmeg, allspice, clove, and cinnamon. This reminds me deeply of walking into Yankee Candle during October/November. I think emphasis is mainly of the nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon; this is a spice bomb. The flavor is akin to the bouquet. It begins sweet with maple and sweet caramel malt, evolving quickly into the spices aforementioned, and finishes sweet with much nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon residue. I will add that the spices come as an explosion and leaves little subtlety for the imagination. Vanilla may be an afterthought, but very diminished. The feel is slick and rich with smooth carbonation. This beer is nearly cloying in my opinion and I am one who enjoys intensely sweet beers. However, the body is appropriate for supporting the plethora of flavors.

Overall, I think this is a big, bold treat that is intensely flavorful and will definitely sneak up on those unaware of its potency. It is probably one to be shared amongst friends on a chillier evening after a nice meal. I can see this pairing well with desserts during the Thanksgiving holidays. In my current position in hot, humid Florida, probably not the best thing. A well made beer by CCB, probably one of the better ones they have to offer. If I were to make changes, I would balance the spices a little more, maybe less clove and cinnamon.

08-12-2013 23:59:39 | More by DmanGTR
BMMillsy

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle purchased at the brewpub. Pours a deep dark reddish orange with a nice fluffy off white head with a slightly orange hue. Aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe some sweet vanilla, and some faint pumpkin, sweet sugar, and some booze when I take a big whiff. Sweet pumpkin flavor and some cinnamon and clove spice. Lingering sweet vanilla cream and pumpkin is definite a highlight here. Finishes nice, medium carbonation. Would be even better if it weren’t 105 with the humidity outside. Neat beer even for non pumpkin beer fans.

08-11-2013 22:47:50 | More by BMMillsy
JayEvans813

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely phenomenal. Very dark in color with a slight head that boils down to nothing. Smells of fall. No other way to explain it, tastes like a very dark ale with many flavors and finishes off with the sweetness of pumpkin pie. One of the best CCB has to offer.

08-11-2013 03:27:38 | More by JayEvans813
Tone2467

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass(all that my friend has)

A: Pours a deep orange with red tint. Almost like a bright blood moon. Produced a small slightly off white head which quickly receeded to outer ring of the glass with very little lacing. These aren't my glasses so head retention and lacing might not be accurate due to cleanliness.

S: The smell here is amazing! Immediately hit with a strong spice presence. Allspice and cinnamon with pumkin and sugar sweetness bringing in the back end. Smells just like I want a pumpkin ale to.

T: The taste is nice with good amounts of pumpkin and allspice. I don't notice the cinnamon on my palate but I do pick up a nice clove flavor. A decent bit of sweetness in this one reminding me of a nice pie.

M: Very light on my tounge. I was expecting this one to be a bit thicker at 8.5% abv. The medium amount of carbonation is nice for this beer. Another factor is the sweetness that registers on the tounge. At first I thought it was a bit much but after a glass I think it's very nice for the season.

O: Another great CCB brew. Pumkin beers aren't usually in my must have category but, after drinking this one I picked up a few bottles from my friend to consume later into the season. A definate must try.

08-09-2013 01:25:06 | More by Tone2467
philaflava

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

I used to think Pumking was the best of its kind. Boy was I ever wrong, especially with this '13 batch. Good Gourd is easily the best pumpkin beer and is now my new holy grail. The smell isn't powerful but the taste is. A little gem right here. I can't wait to stock up.

08-07-2013 12:45:45 | More by philaflava
Danny1217

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep red with excellent clarity and a small head of foam that dissipates rather quickly.
Smells rather sweet with a lot of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and caramel.
The taste is fairly similar. Pretty sweet, but not overly so. Lots of spice, brown sugar, caramel, and surprisingly, cherries. Pretty low carbonation and a smooth finish.

The most hyped pumpkin ale in the world? I think so. But does it live up to the hype? Yes, I would say it does. It is truly unique, memorable, and delicious. CCB does it again.

08-04-2013 02:16:51 | More by Danny1217
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up about 8 of these after my wife tried this at Cigar City and fell in love with it.

Served in a Disney Polynesian Resort shaped-glass.

A: Poured fairly clear, dark orange in color, and with a slight off-white head that didn't add up to much.

S: Not quite as marshmallowy as "Pumpking," but still quite dessert-like. I got some of the spices for sure, but it had a sweet potato-like quality that was to die for.

T: The best pumpkin ale I've ever tasted. Seriously, I got the pumpkin pie, of course, but it also had a bit of salt and pumpkin seeds to boot. Remarkable. The off-kilterness (eg. Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg) definitely paid off.

M: The prickle was perfect, the sugar content was there, but it was totally appropriate for Thanksgiving.

O: It lived up to the hype and then some.

08-04-2013 01:54:38 | More by Chaney
Aleks_P

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours orangish-brown and transparent. Relatively thin tan head. Hue is interesting, not sure if I'm projecting extra orange onto it because I know it's a pumpkin beer.

Smell: Have not smelled many beers like this before. Definitely can detect the pumpkin, smells like pumpkin pie with hints of spice.

Taste: Very, very good. The pumpkin is the first thing I notice, rich sweet and creamy, but there is a little bite from the alcohol. Balanced wonderfully. After a sip I again can detect the pumpkin on my breath.

Mouthfeel: Similar to the taste this is a very smooth and creamy beer with some nice but modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a fantastic pumpkin beer. I've had some that are too sweet without balance, or where the pumpkin is overpowered with other spices, but CCB did a great job balancing the flavors and the heavy ABV gives it some character. One of my favorite seasonals from CCB and hands down my favorite pumpkin beer.

08-03-2013 01:06:35 | More by Aleks_P
slowonder1

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a CCB snifter.

Look: Pours rich amber in color. Light off white head with good lacing. All-in-all reminiscent of fall.

Smell: Spice on spice on spice! Smells very much like the season this beer is made to represent. Cinnamon, pumpkin, all-spice, etc. Everything you'd expect from a pumpkin beer.

Taste: All the pumpkin beer you can handle. Spice and pumpkin all over the palate, with a subtle hop flavor up front and a mild malt finish. But on top of all of this is the pumpkin, cinnamon, all-spice.

Feel: Very light feel for the style and ABV. Medium carbonation and not a bit of the alcohol is detectable for a seasoned drinker. Enjoyable on the palate.

Overall: So glad I picked up this beer! By far the best Pumpkin beer I've had. And one of the few that actually have pumpkin in it. It's a bummer that it is so damn hot outside in Florida right now. These flavors make me long for bon fires and cold nights. Pick one up or trade while you can!

08-02-2013 04:58:00 | More by slowonder1
JackMcAwesome

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from that beautiful 750ml into a pint glass.

Look: It pours out a very bronze color, with a light, puffy head, which so far, hasn't completely dissipated. (I've almost drank it all.) It has a nice solid lacing as well. Overall, a very welcoming look, that makes me wish it was actually fall.

Smell: Man this has a lot going on. I'm not very experienced in these particular ingredients, so it's been fun trying to distinguish what is going on. I'm getting an apple/cinnamon smell that is very pronounced. There are a couple of other things that, that I can't quite articulate. Maybe nutmeg.

Taste: Completely satisfying. It has a strong cinnamon/pumpkin spice right up front. I'm getting a bit of the malt near the end. I'm still getting a bit of the apple that I scented earlier as well. A very complete taste beginning to end.

Feel: This is where the imperial kicks in for sure. You can detect a bit of the 8.5% abv here, but it is still pretty well hidden. It's light feeling, but not because of the carbonation. I'd say the carbonation is a bit low, but this doesn't come off as a heavy brew at all. Very enjoyable.

Overall: I didn't want to get a fall beer this soon, but it being CCB, I went ahead and picked up a bottle. VERY GLAD I DID. It just makes me hate that it's summer now. I want to be cold and enjoying this fantastic beer. It looks great, the aroma last throughout, and the taste seemed to have something new throughout it's entire session. I've finished this glass, now I'm off for a refill.

08-01-2013 21:45:03 | More by JackMcAwesome
JamesShoemaker

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml poured into a coffee mug (my girlfriend's glassware [ceramicware?] of choice). Big thanks to woodsyy for the hook up; great trade!

A - what an interesting, cloudy looking brew. It pours dark orange and brown off the bottle, settling almost grey in the cup. Big foam takes a bit of time to recede, leaving that nice filmy lacing on top as it goes down.

S - there's something a little off here, almost like copper, but it's not dominating. It smells a whole lot like pumpkin spice, but not in a unique way. Other pumpkin beers (Pumking notably) smell nearly identical.

T - GG isn't sweet by any means, and the spices aren't overpowering and chemical-packed like they are in virtually every other pumpkin beer. However, it's really very pleasant, almost like a carbonated pumpkin latte. There's a hint of vanilla beneath some of the more intense spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg, but it's very well balanced and smooth.

M - again, incredibly smooth. Very little carbonation makes GG drinkable, and 8.5% isn't high enough to intimidate even lightweight beer drinkers. Not artificial at all, which is really remarkable for the style.

O - great beer that I'd love to drink again in high season. GG is most definitely a crowd pleaser, and by far the best in a style that's almost always mediocre.

03-10-2013 01:28:04 | More by JamesShoemaker
BradTheHophead

4.98/5  rDev +15.5%

First time I had this beer was on tap at Cigar City Brewing' s taproom.

A. Beer was slightly cloudy with thick creamy head.

S. First there was lots of malts and hops followed by pumpkin and spices. The combination was awesome.

T. First the hops smacks your taste buds followed by a nice spice pumpkin after taste.

M. Very smooth for a hippy beer and does not taste boozy for an 8.5% beer.

O. The best pumpkin ale I have ever tasted!

01-22-2013 04:31:34 | More by BradTheHophead
mverity

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This fall I had my first Good Gourd as my first beer for a tailgate; after most of the pumpkin hype season had died down. I poured it into a red wine glass (my best option) and immediately noticed that I liked the color and aroma much more than certain other pumpkin ales. My first sip, I was hooked. I bought up several more, two for this winter, and a few to age for next year. I picked the first one up for $13, and the next few for $14; and they were certainly worth the price IMHO.

12-31-2012 22:11:05 | More by mverity
cbutova

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my cousin from Tampa for getting me this. Reviewed from notes on Christmas Eve.

A- Dark brown body poured into a pint glass with some red around the edges. Creamy off white head forms and a nice ring does too. Decent cap retention and a few spots of lace here and there.

S- Pumpkin, nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon. Dark fruit and raisin as well as some toasted brown malts. Medium spice level.

T- More like a pie here with a sweet, somewhat dessert creamy feel. Spice like nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger at a moderate level. Dark fruit is slightly medicinal. Pumpkin, toasted malts and brown sugar hints round it all out.

MF- Creamy and fairly thick body. Carbonation has a silky feel and is on the lower-medium level. A bit of alcohol warmth.

Solid for a higher ABV pumpkin ale. Not too spicy and a pretty good balance.

12-26-2012 06:11:19 | More by cbutova
DNICE555

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at the brewery with JJ. What a cool spot.

A - Amber/Brown with an off white head.

S - Cinnamon, burnt sugar, toffee, and PUMPKIN.

T - Allspice, nutmeg, molasses, sugar, pumpkin, caramel, Damn this tasty. They have so many good beers on tap, Marshal Zhukov, Vanilla Brown Maduro, Jai Alai, and multiple other brewery only releases. I love pumpkin so tried this beer and I was not disappointed.

M - Smooth, Sweet but not overly so, well balances, light carbonation.

O - Fantastic pumpkin beer. Another hit from CC. Hardly taste the booze for the ABV. Another reason I love Cigar City. Beers like this make me wonder why there's not more love for pumpkin beers... but I suppose to each their own.

12-18-2012 21:38:20 | More by DNICE555
Vec2267

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Closet aged for a year - about the best I can do.

A - cloudy orange, nice head, little lacing

S - pumpkin pie, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, fruity, sweet

T - follows the nose, cinnamon first, allspice next, followed by some fruit and caramel, and just enough bitterness to not be sweet

M - creamy, buttery, quite rich

O - its pumpkin beer - not my first choice - but this is well done and delivers what I would expect from a fall / pumpkin pie inspired beer

When I first had a fresh bottle of this I thought the alcohol interfered with the beer - 13 months of age did wonders.

12-05-2012 02:00:23 | More by Vec2267
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber to tulip-pint (thanks to MinorThreat for this in a trade)

A - deep amber/brown in color; nice off-white foam head; some light lacing

S - pumpkin, toffee, burnt sugar; has some really nice malt notes cinnamon and sugar

T - damn fine pumpkin pie is what this tastes like; allspice, nutmeg; really caramel-heavy; brown sugar; maple syrup; not too sweet but caramel maltiness; some molasses

M - this beer is smooth; it's sweetness is there but not at all cloying; medium-bodied; really lightly carbonated; balanced

O - I seem to be one of a few who really love pumpkin beers; this is a phenomenal representation of this beer style/flavor; the sweetness is there but not at all overwhelmingly so; I almost don't taste any booziness...that says something at 8.5%; to me, this is a perfect fall offering

12-02-2012 20:37:15 | More by SkeeterBoganski
brentk56

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber-pumpkin color with a respectable head that leaves a few shards of lacing behind

Smell: Freshly-baked pumpkin pie aromatics - more spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and crust than pumpkin itself

Taste: Spices galore from the get-go, with the cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and clove most pronounced; biscuity malt, underneath and a bit of pumpkin flavor, as well; overall, the spicing is very nice, though the clove is just a bit too pronounced in the finish, lending a slightly harsh character

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A very nice, spice-forward example of the style; I would modulate the clove a bit but otherwise this is a very nice beer

Thanks, voxomkid, for the opportunity

11-21-2012 22:15:52 | More by brentk56
nickfl

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a healthy head of off white foam on top of a hazy, amber brown body. The head settles at a moderate lace and leaves decent lace on the glass,

S - Brown, malty notes of toffee with lots of spices, including allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.

T - Bready malt notes up front with some brown sugar. A bit of cinnamon and allspice in the middle. Finishes with clove, more dark sugar, and lightly herbal hops.

M - Medium thick body, moderately low carbonation, and a somewhat sweet finish.

D - Not bad, but I don't think it lives up to what some have said about it. Despite CCs penchant for high end spices, the pie character here is kind of bland and flabby with a malt character that only serves to reinforce that impression. I had this beer when it first came out and remember it being less sweet and spicy with more hops in the balance, but it has been so long that I might be misremembering it at this point.

11-08-2012 04:46:46 | More by nickfl
kylehay2004

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: no head to speak of on a murky brown with a marroon tinge. no lacing really.

S: lots of cinnamon, spices, pumpkin pie, nutmeg.

T: wow, this one has all of the flavors of the season without being too sweet. fresh pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and maple wood.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: one of the best of this genre and style. Very flavorful, each flavor is well represented and distinct. a must try.

11-08-2012 04:44:04 | More by kylehay2004
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle chilled and poured into my Kate the Great tulip glass. Huge thanks to cfrances33 for this bottle.

Appearance: Medium brown in color with a slight one finger head. Decent retention, but eventually turns into a minimal lacing.

Aroma: Really interesting spice note upfront. Cinnnamon, clove, allspice and nutmeg all stand out. Some pumpkin and molasses tones complement the spice. I think the allspice note really seperates this from other pumpkin beers.

Taste: Again, big pumpkin pie spices dominate. Tons of bright allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and clove all contribute. Manages to stay interesting and bright throughout. The spice tone is completely unique and intriguing. Brown sugar and molasses sweetness matches well with the pumpkin to create a really nice background. Really drinkable for the ABV.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. Lower than average carbonation.A bit syrupy.

Overall, a really unique, interesting and complex take on the pumpkin beer style. The spice note is one of a kind and doesn't overwhelm the base beer. One of my new favorites of this style. Definitely want to try this again. Balanced, smooth and complex.

11-01-2012 02:44:01 | More by Gosox8787