2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin AleGood Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Legend has it that when a pumpkin comes into the world it is possessed by either a good or an evil spirit. Ours got all the good baby! Bursting with real pumpkin flavor and yummy pumpkin spices including Ceylon cinnamon, Jamaican all-spice, Zanzibar cloves and nutmeg, Good Gourd is a celebration of Fall and that spookiest of holidays, Halloween. Pair Good Gourd with pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and costume parties.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 791 | Reviews: 154 | Show All Ratings:
phichifiji00

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Orange/Caramel in color, pours a slight white head, has some lacing.

Smell: Nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, vanilla and pumpkin, just as it promises.

Taste: Not quite as strong as the aroma, but definitely taste nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, vanilla and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium bodied, good carbonation, fairly dry, smooth.

Overall: A good pumpkin beer. A bit light on the spices and lighter in body than I prefer in a pumpkin beer. Very smooth, and very drinkable.

10-05-2011 15:41:22 | More by phichifiji00
dcloeren

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Poured pumpkin orange with a finger of off white head. Decent legs and spotty wet lacing.

Smell was very faint. Some gourd, cinnamon, all spice and maybe some nutmeg.

Taste is very gourd forward with just the right amount of spice. Very tasty and worth bringing back from Florida.

Light to medium body with just enough carbonation.

Overall, this is a fantastic pumpkin ale. Just the right amount o spice and pumpkin. Not too much of either which I feel is the case with most. Very well balanced and tasty.

11-26-2011 02:53:29 | More by dcloeren
mverity

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This fall I had my first Good Gourd as my first beer for a tailgate; after most of the pumpkin hype season had died down. I poured it into a red wine glass (my best option) and immediately noticed that I liked the color and aroma much more than certain other pumpkin ales. My first sip, I was hooked. I bought up several more, two for this winter, and a few to age for next year. I picked the first one up for $13, and the next few for $14; and they were certainly worth the price IMHO.

12-31-2012 22:11:05 | More by mverity
BrownNut

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Served cool in a tulip.
Bottled August 2011, drunk June 2012.
Bottled August 2012, drunk September 2012.
Bottled August 2012, drunk March 2013.
Bottled August 2012, drunk April 2013.

A - 3.5 - Cloudy amber like unfiltered apple cider. Fizzy head gone very quickly.

S - 4.0 - So fragrant immediately upon popping the cap. All the spices come through, especially the allspice and cloves, with the pumpkin playing second fiddle. It reminds me of the smell of turning up a mug of hot spiced apple cider around the holidays, and not just because of the spices.

T - 4.0 - The same spices are there on the palate, as well as something else, like dark gingerbread Christmas cookies. I'm not sure I get too much actual pumpkin but that's fine with me. Just a hint of bitterness in the aftertaste. I'm not even sure it's a hop bitterness, more like an apple peel astringent bitterness. Zero booze detected.

M - 4.0 - Originally lighter bodied than what I was expecting. Finishes clean just on the edge of dry. But as it has aged it has gotten a somewhat thicker slicker mouthfeel. Still ends substantially tannic though.

O - 4.0 - I first drank this fall seasonal the June after its release. It wasn't even fresh but still tasted fine. Then I had it fresh the following release and it wasn't much different. Then that one again the following March. I swear a bit of age actually makes it better, counterintuitively. It isn't one I'd want to session all night given the specialty flavors involved, but as a special seasonal, a 375ml is nice. Usually I'm a few sips in to a pumpkin beer before it starts to feel like a chore to get through it, but this one is nice. April 2013 bottle confirms that this keeps getting better with age.

06-17-2012 03:01:11 | More by BrownNut
Trilogy31

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a pretty brown amber with nice clarity. Thin finger of foam leaving very little lacing. The nose hits with nutmeg, a dry vegetal pumpkin quality, cinnamon candy and baking spices - it is very much like pumpkin pie, spices are prevalent with almost a creamy pie crust scent. The nose is what gets me - multilayered complex chocolate notes - this beer looks like Theobroma and drinks like what Theobroma wishes it could be. Straight pumpkin pie in the mouth, full of spices and rich pumpkin flavor that finishes with nice carbonation and a dry vegetal quality at the end. Almost a touch astrigent on the finish and not a huge fan of the vegetal quality it presents but this is by far and away the best pumpkin beer i have had.

10-12-2011 02:42:03 | More by Trilogy31
readbaron

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Thanks to Dunt for the pour.

Pours out an amber orange pumpkin color with adequate foam.

Nose smells like fall, almost like a pumpkin pie. Pumpkin up front blended with cloves and a lot of sweetness.

Taste follows the nose - it's a pretty sweet beer up front. The pumpkin and spices are noticable, and it finishes with a bit of grainy, toasted, bready malt. Somehow - the more I sipped this - the less I appreciated the whole amalgamation. I did enjoy the pour, but think that if I had more than 5 or so ounces I'd have a hard time finishing it.

Feel is decent, well carbed, medium bodied, but a bit dry.

Overall, a bit dissapointing. I was hoping this would rival pumking or TREAT, but it doesn't quite make it there.

10-25-2011 21:04:48 | More by readbaron
Mikecap

Louisiana

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to EgadBananas for the bottle!

Appearance: Pours a reddish amber with a very thin whitish head that fades quickly, nice splotchy lacing on the sides of my tulip.

Smell: Cinnamon, allspice, and pumpkin hit first. I also get a nice dose of brown sugar, some nutmeg, caramel, and malty sweetness. Awesome aroma. Reminds me of Thanksgiving when dessert (think apple and pumpkin pie) is just coming out of the oven.

Taste: Follows the nose with cinnamon up front, mild spiciness, but a nice pumpkin kick. Not overly sweet but the brown sugar, caramel and nutmeg all come through.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp, low to moderate bitterness with mild carbonation. Nice texture with a smooth finish, well masked alcohol.

Overall: Wow, this is absolutely fantastic. I don't love pumpkin beers but this is just great. I would expect no less from CCB, and this certainly delivers.

10-07-2013 01:11:53 | More by Mikecap
Danny1217

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep red with excellent clarity and a small head of foam that dissipates rather quickly.
Smells rather sweet with a lot of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and caramel.
The taste is fairly similar. Pretty sweet, but not overly so. Lots of spice, brown sugar, caramel, and surprisingly, cherries. Pretty low carbonation and a smooth finish.

The most hyped pumpkin ale in the world? I think so. But does it live up to the hype? Yes, I would say it does. It is truly unique, memorable, and delicious. CCB does it again.

08-04-2013 02:16:51 | More by Danny1217
Resuin

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter. Enjoyed on Thanksgiving.

Appearance: Pours a medium brown with a reddish hue and leaves a finger of off-white head which slowly fades to a layer atop the beer.

Smell: Cinnamon, nutmeg, mild pumpkin. The spices are incredible and come through really well in the aroma. Mouth-watering.

Taste: Light pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, some malts. Decent amount of sweetness. Really tasty.

Mouth-feel: Nice medium body and medium carbonation. Fits the flavor profile very well. A bit sweet and sticky, but not too much.

Overall: I think this might be the perfect pumpkin beer (for me at least). Delicious spices, the right amount of "pumpkinness", right amount of sweet - just really delicious. This was a great beer to enjoy on Thanksgiving. See you again next year, Good Gourd.

11-29-2013 21:05:11 | More by Resuin
taylor714914

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

I'm going to say it. This is overall a 5, spot on perfect.

Rather than bore you with details of the beer, I'll tell you what this beer really is. This is the rightful owner of the pumpkin throne. Pumking was my ruler, but no longer. A new sherriff is in town, and he's slaying all the others.

This is the cat's meow. Meow. Pumpkin and spice and everything glorious and amazing people! There is pumpkin, there is spice, there is sweetness, there is bitterness, there is no competition for the starring role. Instead these flavors choose to meld harmoniously together and become greater than any could be on their own.

Oh the epiphany. Where have you been every fall for the last 7 years dear Good Gourd? Out of distribution, sadly. But thanks to kayaksandbeer, my clutch trading partner, I can now imbibe in what I consider the PERFECT pumpkin beer. All others have been warned, this is legit.

10-17-2013 22:27:28 | More by taylor714914
TKEbeerman

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Changing it up a bit, I poured this ale into my SA Perfect Pint. This brew pours a pretty pumpkin orange with a cream colored head.

S: The aroma is definitely amplified. There is a depth to the complexity of this brew that many others lack. Notes of pumpkin spice (as opposed to raw pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a delicious tinge of nutmeg.

T: The flavor profile is equal as complex with pumpkin shining through. I love how all the spices in the nose come together on the pallet.

MF: Mouthfeel is medium and creamy.

Overall, this is a great pumpkin ale. Definitely top 5 for me, and one of the most noticeably complex pumpkins that I've had. On a side note, I noticed the bottle was a little better than on tap, and definitely better served a little warmer.

10-09-2011 22:42:13 | More by TKEbeerman
fields336

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated August 29, 2011
Poured into SN Snifter, 750 mL bottle

A: Pours an Auburn reddish, brownish, gold, with 2 fingers french vanilla colored head. Carbonation is streaming off of the bottom, little haze.

S: light pumpkin, spices, cardamom, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, Caramel, bready malts. little hop scent.

T: Bready, with pumpkin sweetness, Almost pumking like in its "crust-yness" they managed to get the crust in there with the sweet pumpkin, cardamom, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. Has a nice earthy, citrusy, grassy hop presence as well, but not as prominent as Smuttynose Pumpkin. Really delicious.

M: Medium-heavy mouthfeel, nicely carbonated, drinkable, but I can definitely feel the alcohol in it.

O: This may be the best pumpkin beer I've had. Smuttynose is excellent, but slightly too hoppy, Pumking has just a little too much breadyness and sweetness, This is balanced, delicious and has a touch of what makes each other pumpkin ale great in it.

10-18-2011 00:24:11 | More by fields336
hoptualBrew

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle with cool labelwork & has me excited with the beefed up abv! Damn I love big beers!

Blood orange red color in the glass plays to the theme. Fluffy off white head fills the glass out well, making for a good looking beverage. Suprise, suprise! Sweet pumpkin spices, cinnamon & nutmeg hit the nostrils. Expected this for an imperial pumpkin. Smells fucking good. Same on the palate but with a full body, neatly creamy in texture, but well carbonated.

Overall, this is my favorite pumpkin ale of the season. At $11.99 per bottle, its a bit price to get again. Well worth trying it once though - loved it.

09-15-2011 19:31:27 | More by hoptualBrew
jcartamdg

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours an orange amber with a one finger head that sticks around in my bruery tulip. Aromas of pumpkin spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and a bit of ginger. Taste follows nose, really creamy, smooth and easy to drink. This is a great pumpkin beer, I could drink it all year!

11-01-2011 01:15:13 | More by jcartamdg
SkeeterBoganski

Colorado

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Bomber to tulip-pint (thanks to MinorThreat for this in a trade)

A - deep amber/brown in color; nice off-white foam head; some light lacing

S - pumpkin, toffee, burnt sugar; has some really nice malt notes cinnamon and sugar

T - damn fine pumpkin pie is what this tastes like; allspice, nutmeg; really caramel-heavy; brown sugar; maple syrup; not too sweet but caramel maltiness; some molasses

M - this beer is smooth; it's sweetness is there but not at all cloying; medium-bodied; really lightly carbonated; balanced

O - I seem to be one of a few who really love pumpkin beers; this is a phenomenal representation of this beer style/flavor; the sweetness is there but not at all overwhelmingly so; I almost don't taste any booziness...that says something at 8.5%; to me, this is a perfect fall offering

12-02-2012 20:37:15 | More by SkeeterBoganski
Heatwave33

Poured from a 750 mL bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter.

Color: Dark hazy orange.

Smell: Cinnamon, pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice. A lot of cinnamon.

Taste: Just like the smell cinnamon is the superior taste. Then pumpkin, nutmeg and allspice.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a dry finish.

Overall: A very good pumpkin ale. I had the pleasure of drinking this with my wife's best friend. She enjoyed this ale a lot too. I am impressed with every Cigar City brew I try. Whatever it is they do there I hope they never stop! This is my second favorite pumpkin ale next to Dogfish Heads. Cheers!

10-01-2011 22:07:44 | More by Heatwave33
Beerisheaven

Had this last night side by side with Elysian Great Pumpkin. I am actually a big fan of most of the Cigar City offerings, so I was interested in trying their pumpkin presentation. Thanks to Bryanole for shooting this my way.

A - Pours nicely, a dark orange red with a fairly strong white head that rises up and quickly pulls back.

S - Pretty standard pumpkin fare in that it presents a strong profile of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspince, what you would normally expect in a pumpkin beer.

T - Again, pretty standard in that it focuses on the traditional spices although there is a slight bitterness towards the end, almost a hoppy profile on top of the pumpkin beer.

M- Pretty good, not thick in any way, pretty much what you would expect.

O - Against the Great Pumpkin, this one came out the loser. I would say that CCB has done a nice job but it sits there with most other pumpkin offerings. Nothing allows this one to stand out versus the Weyerbacher and others. A good effort noting noteworthy here.

Thanks again to Bryanole for shooting these my way. I have a couple of extra bottles for the fall football tailgating season that will come in handy.

09-24-2011 13:18:15 | More by Beerisheaven
PsilohsaiBiN

4.76/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Much thx to my man velcrogrip! 2013 vintage.

Appearance: Orange cloudy rust with a half finger of white head. Hold it up to a light and it glows like a jackolantern...awesome.

Smell: Pumpkin flesh, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves. There's also this raspberry/strawberry hard candy type of smell going on. This definitely smells a lot different than any pumpkin brews I've had. It's like all those other pumpkins, but on steroids.

Taste: Big sweet pumpkin and cloves up front. The middle gives some nutmeg and cinnamon. The end sees the pumpkin sweetness fade out nicely into a dry finish with spices lingering in the background. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, viscous and almost a bit syrupy. However, it is just perfect for this beer. Coats the tongue formidably with modest carbonation.

Overall: This is a big, sweet, syrupy beer and I love it. The huge pumpkin/clove sweetness and dry finish makes this a winner for me. I've found my new favorite pumpkin beer.

10-12-2013 00:44:03 | More by PsilohsaiBiN
IdrinkGas

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm glad pumpkin beer season is coming to an end. I keep buying them but I've never found one that stands out above the rest.

A: Golden caramel in color with a small white head.
S: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and some sweetness.
T: Cinnamon and cloves mainly but it has a fresh gourd taste to it. If you have ever broken a gourd in half and smelled it thats exactly how this one finishes. Sort of odd after taste.

Drinks a little bit bigger than your typical pumpkin ale. Decent beer but nothing that really sets it apart from the others.

10-19-2011 03:40:57 | More by IdrinkGas
JamesShoemaker

4.34/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

750 ml poured into a coffee mug (my girlfriend's glassware [ceramicware?] of choice). Big thanks to woodsyy for the hook up; great trade!

A - what an interesting, cloudy looking brew. It pours dark orange and brown off the bottle, settling almost grey in the cup. Big foam takes a bit of time to recede, leaving that nice filmy lacing on top as it goes down.

S - there's something a little off here, almost like copper, but it's not dominating. It smells a whole lot like pumpkin spice, but not in a unique way. Other pumpkin beers (Pumking notably) smell nearly identical.

T - GG isn't sweet by any means, and the spices aren't overpowering and chemical-packed like they are in virtually every other pumpkin beer. However, it's really very pleasant, almost like a carbonated pumpkin latte. There's a hint of vanilla beneath some of the more intense spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg, but it's very well balanced and smooth.

M - again, incredibly smooth. Very little carbonation makes GG drinkable, and 8.5% isn't high enough to intimidate even lightweight beer drinkers. Not artificial at all, which is really remarkable for the style.

O - great beer that I'd love to drink again in high season. GG is most definitely a crowd pleaser, and by far the best in a style that's almost always mediocre.

03-10-2013 01:28:04 | More by JamesShoemaker
hdelavega

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a nice burnt orange with a thick off white head.
Great aroma, roasted pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove.
Flavor keeps up with the nose. A great balance between the pumpkin and spice. I get more clove in the taste balanced by brown sugar.

12-12-2011 04:05:28 | More by hdelavega
pjkelley82

Had this one during a Pumpkin tasting which included 23 pumpkin beers.

There were 5 judges and we voted on our top 5. Out of the 5 judges 4 of them had Good Gourd in the top 5.

Good Gourd was #1 for me.

Had the Pumkin taste you were seeking. Was not too heavy and had a vanilla creamy taste to it and it almost seemed like it was barell aged with a good amount of booz to it.

To me it was perfectly balanced with the spice and the pumpkin flavor.. not cloyingly sweet but just about...which I liked... and perfect carbonation and smooth sweet finish that leaves you wanting more.

If you like Pumpkin beers then definitely try it out. To me.. I have yet to taste s better pumpkin beer.

10-14-2013 21:32:22 | More by pjkelley82
bcostner1

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%

2012 vintage; drank as freshly as possible.

A: Deep, rich pumpkin-orange/burnt orange; looks like Fall. 1 finger tan head that dissipates at a moderate rate.

S: Great aroma on this. Lots of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and some brown sugar.

T: Outstanding. Following the nose, there is a lot of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg. The clove is pretty muted in this brew for me (which is a plus as far as I'm concerned...I don't care for the pumpkin ales that are very clove-forward). On the finish, I'm getting some slightly buttery pie crust and some creamy whipped cream. Delicious.

M: A little bit of a sipper. At 8.5%, the ABV is well hidden but it does hit me a little bit. I drank about 1/2 a bomber in 1 sitting and sealed the rest for the following night.

I personally love Pumpkin Ales. I know it's a polarizing style, but they are among my favorites. Overall, this was well worth the online buy from Luekens'. I have been wanting to try this for a while and couldn't wait until Sept 1 (the "official" start of fall and football season in my book this year) to try it. For me, it kind of melded together a lot of elements of Schlafly Pumpkin (with the spice profile) and Pumking (with the buttery, whipped cream finish....without overdoing it as I feel Pumking sort of does). I will definitely be ordering more of this in the future. Seek it out!

09-02-2012 13:49:12 | More by bcostner1
Benish

Wisconsin

3.81/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: color was of burnt orange and toffee. Minimal head retention.

Smell: Picked up some pie crust, some nutmeg, and white chocolate. It smelled absolutely delicious. Its spices are there (nutmeg, cloves, allspice) but it does not attack you. The aroma is simple, not complex. Very satisfying.

Taste: This beer is pretty intense. It starts out fantastic; I tasted pumpkin pie - most notable was the pie crust, its had that nice biscuity buttered crust flavor. There was also that subtle burnt sweetness you get in baked goods, like toasted or melted brown sugar. As the beer start to warm up, the spices and other flavors I cannot describe became more prominent. The crust became harder to pick up and the spices became a bit overwhelming. A single glass of this is plenty. It was quite sweet, no bitterness. The crust, sugar and the spices were the most prominent aspect of this beer and like other pumpkin beers I have tried, I am missing the flavors of pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied mouthfeel. With the intense flavors of this beer, it's hard to cover all the bases of the beer.

Overall: this is something I'd like to share with someone. Not something to drink yourself. It holds well over night. I opened it the first night, did not finish it. Put a wine cork in, reopened it the next day and it tasted fine.

10-07-2013 02:31:42 | More by Benish
Vec2267

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

Closet aged for a year - about the best I can do.

A - cloudy orange, nice head, little lacing

S - pumpkin pie, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, fruity, sweet

T - follows the nose, cinnamon first, allspice next, followed by some fruit and caramel, and just enough bitterness to not be sweet

M - creamy, buttery, quite rich

O - its pumpkin beer - not my first choice - but this is well done and delivers what I would expect from a fall / pumpkin pie inspired beer

When I first had a fresh bottle of this I thought the alcohol interfered with the beer - 13 months of age did wonders.

12-05-2012 02:00:23 | More by Vec2267