Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Reviews by Patrick999:
4.7/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge thanks to Chris @ Freshbeer for opening this one during a recent outing.

We poured a small but decent measure into a snifter. It looked thick as all get-out, with some lazy foam.

Not as sweet and alcoholic-smelling as I remembered when I had it from a fresh growler. It's taken on more of that signature Cigar City cigar-box aroma, along with the requisite big chocolate and coffee aromas.

Again, I get big bitter chocolate and coffee. Chilies are still there, but somewhat less strong than I noted when I first had this. It seems less hoppy too, but I think I prefer it this way, with that deep dark chocolate taste and cured tobacco, with just hints of chile and hops.

Once again, we're dealing with a thick, oily mouthfeel.

Oddly enough, it seems somehow more potent than it did before, even though I smell and taste less alcohol. My modest portion (though I admit, I had a second modest portion) hit me like a jackhammer. Drinkable within this context, but I could in no way drain the entire bottle. Excellent for sharing.

Patrick999, Apr 09, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

BrbnBarlAgdBil, Mar 10, 2013

DanGeo, Aug 12, 2013

CavemanRamblin, Aug 10, 2014

jono0101, Apr 20, 2014
4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours thick, like used motor oil, with a temporary dark brown head.

The aroma is layered and complex without any one component overriding another. Rich roasty chocolate, ash, soft vanilla, charcoal, and spice all blend together nicely. It's actually a little hard to describe.

The taste is smoky with dark cherry, plum, chocolate and coffee, with a little sweetness mid-palate and the spice from the chiles comes in late and hits the sides of the mouth.

Slight viscosity and low carbonation work well in this stouts case. I think it would be weird if it were creamier or heavily carbonated.

Very nice, possibly a tad overrated, but worth a try for any beer nerd.

brownbeer, May 04, 2010

ricksrealm, Mar 13, 2012

delaced21, Aug 24, 2014

Krafty34, Feb 07, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours black with a finger of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S - Incredibly complex, there is a ton of chocolate, caramel, chili peppers, cinnamon, molasses and brown sugar. A lot of coffee in here as well. Smells massively sweet and rich.

T - Complex taste, lots of chocolate all over this one and the slight burn from the chili is somewhat rather satisfying was very surprised. Taste is great.

M - Nice smooth creamy thick feel with low carbonation. Sticky sweet coating on the tongue. Outstanding

O - The best non-barrel aged stout in the world. I could drink this all day. What a genius move to use chili peppers in a chocolaty rich stout. Wish I had another bottle.

SkiBum22, May 18, 2012

orbitalr0x, Nov 24, 2011

supa0525, Oct 15, 2013

bulldogg915, Apr 03, 2013
4.55/5  rDev -0.7%

Good god this beer was delicious. Drank at a perfect cellar temperature, the vanilla comes right out and smacks you in the nose. The smell is sweet like a chili infused milkshake (hmmmm) and i have to say, this beer was about as viscous as a milkshake too.

The only thing that made it tough to knock down was that it was still a bit hot. Not that it was unexpected but it definitely made it a little less drinkable. I worked on my bottle over 3 days... I hope to try this beer with even a little bit of age on it... i think it will be unbelievable...

gregmoscetti, Apr 26, 2010