Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Ratings: 3,368 | Reviews: 715
Reviews by ipafool:

If you don't like this, stop drinking beer.

3.5/5  rDev -23.6%

This tastes like charcoal. High quality charcoal, but still charcoal.

4.69/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

March 8, 2014 bottle. Dark as oil almost no head. Has chili nose and cinnamon taste but not the chocolate nibs. Like to compare with bomb!

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%

Chilies have faded and I get no heat. I also get no heat from the alcohol.

Had a significant dark fruit characteristic which faded as it warmed. It tastes like french toast sticks dipped in chocolate and coffee. The aftertaste is a pleasant roasty note.

Mounthfeel is incredibly huge rivaled only by room temp dark lord

This beer is incredible

4.49/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this mythical beast finally found its way into my life. one of those whales you only read about, at least in my world, so to actually get to drink one was highly anticipated and a real special treat for me. im immediately surprised by how heady this is. lots of tiny bubbles accumulating on the surface of the dense but bright brown liquid. coffee stained head color, nice retention. the nose is incredibly layered, with the bitter roast of the grains coming first and foremost, followed next by a wave of smoky earthy moderately spicy chili pepper and cinnamon. i dont smell much chocolate in this, but it can certainly be tasted. the vanilla is subtle, but present throughout the aroma. booze, while high in content, is absent aromatically. the flavor is real well integrated with all of these additives. chili and cinnamon are both mild, but unmistakable. i like that they dont just flash in at the finish, but are constants throughout. the cocoa is both bitter and earthy, not sweet at all, and adds a richness to the beer. the grain itself seems bigger and darker than most other huge stouts, the base beer is undeniably awesome. vanilla gives moderate sweetness and a mature richness to the whole thing, while high carbonation keeps the prickle of the peppers coming back around and around. long flavorful finish, no heat at all on the swallow. im left feeling like i had something enormous and unexplained. seismic beer here, unlike any other. i though this was the pinnacle of the style, then i had the double barrel edition...

edit: had the wonderful experience of tasting a 2012, 2013, and 2014 side by side. it was amazing to me how quickly the cinnamon fades away over time, its almost absent from the 2013, and gone totally in the 2012. as a result, i thought the freshest year was the most dynamic. maybe one of those beers not meant to be cellared...

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was worth the wait. I had a very worthwhile review my wife made me take down. This is my scrubbed review. I like it. I like my wife. I like my dog. I think Jinx is a great show. Good beer. I hate snow. Go Britta Truskey

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

4.99/5  rDev +9%

Really enjoyed this.

Poured thick, black, oily, very little head. Great aroma, subtle chile spice. First sips while still cold were all chocolate. As it warmed up a lot more complexity came through, no heat but some chile flavor, not much cinnamon, just good balance.

Easy to see why this was so highly rated. More please...

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours thick, like used motor oil, with a temporary dark brown head.

The aroma is layered and complex without any one component overriding another. Rich roasty chocolate, ash, soft vanilla, charcoal, and spice all blend together nicely. It's actually a little hard to describe.

The taste is smoky with dark cherry, plum, chocolate and coffee, with a little sweetness mid-palate and the spice from the chiles comes in late and hits the sides of the mouth.

Slight viscosity and low carbonation work well in this stouts case. I think it would be weird if it were creamier or heavily carbonated.

Very nice, possibly a tad overrated, but worth a try for any beer nerd.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours black with a finger of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S - Incredibly complex, there is a ton of chocolate, caramel, chili peppers, cinnamon, molasses and brown sugar. A lot of coffee in here as well. Smells massively sweet and rich.

T - Complex taste, lots of chocolate all over this one and the slight burn from the chili is somewhat rather satisfying was very surprised. Taste is great.

M - Nice smooth creamy thick feel with low carbonation. Sticky sweet coating on the tongue. Outstanding

O - The best non-barrel aged stout in the world. I could drink this all day. What a genius move to use chili peppers in a chocolaty rich stout. Wish I had another bottle.

4.57/5  rDev -0.2%

Good god this beer was delicious. Drank at a perfect cellar temperature, the vanilla comes right out and smacks you in the nose. The smell is sweet like a chili infused milkshake (hmmmm) and i have to say, this beer was about as viscous as a milkshake too.

The only thing that made it tough to knock down was that it was still a bit hot. Not that it was unexpected but it definitely made it a little less drinkable. I worked on my bottle over 3 days... I hope to try this beer with even a little bit of age on it... i think it will be unbelievable...

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

I didn't expect the dark fruit taste at first but really enjoyed how it melded with the cinnamon, vanilla and peppers. This is a GREAT beer

4.26/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The nose is fresh chocolate, dark chocolate, with a spiciness from the chilis. The vanilla is present but subtle. the taste is full of chocolate, definitely a dessert beer. There is a slight fruit but fresh cocoa and a subtle spice.

4.83/5  rDev +5.5%

2010 Vintage poured into a large snifter

A - Thick, dark black color. Nice 1-finger tan/caramel head. After a nice swirl you can notice a reddish tint to it. Possibly from the cinnamon or chiles.

S - Can smell all of the dark fruits associated with this stout. There is a slight hint of chiles along with the cocoa and vanilla.

T - Such a smooth, creamy stout. You can really taste the sweetness of the dark fruits and cocoa. Again the hint of chiles is there despite it being almost 2 years old. Very complex. Really is amazing.

M - Like I said before, very creamy feel. Slight stickiness. Exactly what you would expect after with the appearance, smell, and taste.

O - One of my top 3 favorite beers. This one being 2 years old, can only imagine what a fresher version would be like with the extra pop of chiles and cinnamon as I am sure this one had mellowed a bit. I cannot wait to try more in the future. Awesome.

4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Big thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a inky black color with a brown, small head. The beer is oily and coats the sides of the glass. The aroma is roasted and burnt malt with dark fruit. The flavor is cinnamon, dark fruit, roasted/burnt malt, semi-sweet chocolate and pepper. The mouthfeel and thick and chewy and the carbonation is pretty low.

4.72/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Date of review is 6/14/14.

Appearance- Pitch black with a half-finger dark tan head. Great lacing straight away. Little to no carbonation.

Smell- Peppers and cinnamon are the first two dominant scents. Following that, I detect brown sugar and vanilla. I imagine this is gonna be a sweeter stout. Just perfect in every aspect of scent.

Taste- Same exact flavors as scents, which is remarkable. The vanilla, cinnamon, peppers and cacao nibs all play their parts perfectly. So much hoppier than I had expected. A real treat to say the least.

Mouthfeel- Again, perfect in every way. Coats your mouth in a delicious stew of wonderful flavors and gives you the tingles in your throat. This beer has the perfect amount of peppers.

Overall- Almost a perfect beer. I will be seeking this beer out on every possible occasion. I will be trading for this, so I am ISO.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

750Ml bottle poured into a wine glass 2011 vintage.

Pours a very dark black with a small very dark brown but thin head. Nose is chocolate, spicy and coffee.

Wow, taste is awesome the spiciness is all over the place and there is tasty chocolate flavor that's really unique with the peppers. Very surprised this is much better than other hyped stouts.

4.78/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle Pour. This beer is dark as can be. Oily, thick and resinous. Hunahpu is so thick it leaves my glass looking like a resin covered bong. The nose on this beer is as complex as the palate. Chocolate, char, vanilla, earthy peppers and alcohol hit the nose full force. The palate of this beer is immensely layered. I first get dark bitter chocolate that is quickly sweetened by the vanilla treatment and chocolatey malt character. Following that comes earthy smokey peppers that compliment the deep roastiness of the malts with slight heat to kick. The heavy viscosity and moussey carbonation combine for a luxurious and velvety mouthfeel. I enjoy my beer with food, hunahpu will make good company with spicy, savory and rich ethnic dishes.

4.55/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought it at Cervezas in South Miami for the Release Party. World's best american double imperial stout! 35 bucks and 11.5 alcohol! Oh boy, Peruvian Cacao Nibs, Ancho and Pasilla Chiles. Cinnamon and Madagascar Vanilla Beans. What else can I ask for? This is the Champagne of beers.

4.93/5  rDev +7.6%

As of 1/3/15 -
Had a vertical consisting of '12, '13 and '14 (Batch1.)

All were world class but there was a noticeable fall-off in the cinnamon / chilies as it ages - as expected. Conversely, the mouth feel improved. Cannot wait to try the 2014 Batch 2 and the 2015 offerings.

4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

Reviewed from notes. On tap at the brewery on the day of the release. 03/12/11

A: Black as night with a ridiculously dark one finger head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: The cinnamon is in the forefront. Followed by notes of the vanilla, chiles and chocolate.

T: The cinnamon is the first thing that you notice here as well. Then notes of vanilla, chocolate and a faint hint of the chiles.

M: Thick, creamy and silky. One of the thickest Imperial Stouts that I've had.

O: A really fantastic Imperial Stout that I much prefer fresh as opposed to with some age on it. I was glad to be able to get to try it on tap.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing, DarthKostrizer!

Black on black with a thick, heavy, and persistent espresso brown head. Spots of lacing left down the glass. Gorgeous! No carbonation issues whatsoever to report here!

Fantastic aroma consisting of rich, chocolate shoppe sweetness, mild roasted and coffee character, and then just a lingering presence of roasted peppers. This beer smelled different every time I put my nose to the glass, and I found something new every time. Delightful.

The flavor was just as lovely as the aroma: rich, gooey chocolate, huge roast character, and lingering earthy and smoked peppers. I'm glad I got to try this one fresh, as I'm worried the distinct heat from the peppers may leave this beer sooner rather than later.

Thick, heavy, substantial, and coating mouthfeel.

A fantastic, rich, divine, delicious chocolate/chile big stout.

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 2011 bottle thanks to BA muskabeatz.

A: Pours a dark, black, motor oil color that we've all seen so many times before. Where this beer really stands out to me is its head, this thing foamed up to maybe an inch and a half of, way over what I've come to expect from the latest and greatest big Russian Imperial, a bit too much for my preference. The head was so creamy it seemed to keep swirl lines.

S: Here's a sticking point with me, my drinking buddies described the aroma as "subtle", which to me says that it's not very strong. Initially I just barely smelled a sort of biscuity scent with a hint of pepper, but as it warmed it I caught much more sweet chocolate and vanilla. The way this aroma changes makes me wish I could give it two ratings, initially, I found it lacking, but as it warmed it came around.

T: This thing is marvelous! The very first thing I taste is chocolate, but just like packages from good traders, it's laden with extras! Just like that special release you get as an extra, this beer comes with a little peppery spiciness tinged with real cinnamon. Somehow all of these flavors work well together, AND THEN finishes out with a bit of sweet vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering.

M: So creamy! Thick and evenly carbonated, somehow this stout still feels almost like it's been whipped. Really a unique mouthfeel experience.

O: This is a good one, lives up the hype in my opinion, the peppery spiciness and cinnamon make this beer one-of-a-kind. Seek this one out if at all possible!

4.46/5  rDev -2.6%

A: (2011 Vintage) Poured into my SN bubble glass, this stout pours as dark as deep space with a tasty looking chocolate milk colored head that appears as thick a viscous as the stout below it.

S: The aroma is lacking a bit in complexity. Dark chocolate is present and up front. The aroma is very similar to its base beer, Marshal Z, the complexity of the additions that make this brew "Hunahpu Worthy" have faded. Notes of vanilla beans are and the peppers are faint.

T: The flavor profile still is solid. This brew is rich in chocolate and roasted malt, without being too sweet or heavy. The chillies at first have disappointingly faded, but as the beer warms they spice up the back of your pallet and add a whole new dimension to this beer. The cinnamon is present in the slightest touch, an is opening up more with warmer temperature.

MF: the mouthfeel is full, rich, creamy, and the best carbonation CCB can produce! ;)

Overall, I love having this beer fresh, and I'm going to love attending Hunahpu day every year. Excellent beer, a must have fresh and aged.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing