Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 686 | Hads: 3,413

I've had this beer multiple times seeing as I live about 15 minutes from Cigar City. Poured into my CC tulip.

A- Black like motor oil. The thickest beer iv'e ever poured.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and hints of vanilla and chili peppers.

T- One word : perfect

M- Like I said before, motor oil.

D- Very drinkable for a stout of such high alcohol percentage. Perfect brew to share with a good friend. (405 characters)

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly! (1,263 characters)

Review taken from most recent batch.

2011 batch - 5.0

Thanks to black13 for sharing some of this at a recent tasting. Also thanks to urwithdave and coastiesimon for hooking me up with bottles of this. 750ml bottle split into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Black sludge pouring into my glass. After the heavy pour, it's as black as they come with a big light brown (not dark tan) head. Top notch lacing. One of the sexiest looking stouts I've ever seen. 5/5

S: Like sniffing an open bottle of vanilla extract. Banana Cream pie but not in a Belgian yeast sense. A dessert in a glass is what I'm now expecting. 5/5

T: Load's of vanilla, cookie crumbs, and decadent chocolate fudge heavy on the milk fat. It should be noted that I can't discern the chiles at all. A diabetic coma waiting to happen in a death by sweets kind of way. There's a place for that kind of beer, and tonight it's in my glass! 5/5

M: Huge full body that comes off thick and chewy. Despite the massive head, the carbonation is kept to a minimum and this stays smooth and silky. 5/5

O: A beer I will trade for every year. I've never had the barrel aged version of this beer, but I am hard pressed to believe this can get any better. As far as non-barrel aged stouts go, this is as elite as it gets. I've never given a perfect five for a big stout... Until now. The 2010 batch was superb. I don't know how, but this is better. One of those beers that simply doesn't need to be aged. Get it, and drink it, NOW! 5/5

2010 Batch - 4.47

Thanks to Arbitrator for sharing a bottle of this at a tasting the first time I had it. I knew that I absolutely HAD to secure a bottle of my own after sipping on a couple ounces. That way, my wife and I could sit down with a snifter each and truly appreciate this beast. That is exactly what we are doing at the moment!

Viscous motor oil liquid on the pour, this stuff literally "glug-glugs" into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. Side note - I need to get my oil changed in my car. Even the head on this is as dark as I've ever seen. My wife referred to the head as "chocolate mousse" in appearance. I wish I could be original and come up with my own descriptor, but that really is a perfect mental image. I do want to comment that there appears to be a touch of red highlights to the head. Black as pitch, thick as used motor oil, and the darkest head I've ever seen spells perfect score on appearance in my book.

Raw cocoa on the nose is accompanied by the vanilla bean. The big coffee that can usually be found on big stouts is missing here. Maybe a little chili is there as well, but that might just be power of suggestion. Also missing is any whiff of alcohol. Try as I may to find the ETOH, I simply can't do it.

Wow! There is a TON going on taste wise. Chocolate doesn't get any more bitter than this. Strong nuances of vanilla, spicy chili pepper, and what seems to be a bit of lactose culture show up in a supporting role. It should be mentioned that the chili isn't tasted as much as its felt. The back of the tongue and soft palate feel the warmth on the finish. Unique and delicious.

Ramnuts hosted the tasting where I tried this the first time. In his own words..."I can feel it coating my tongue!" Well said Frank. I can't say it any better myself.

This is a big beer that needs to be savored. That said, I did not feel as if my 12+ ounce pour was over-bearing or heavy. I possibly could have had another, but the one was enough. A simply fantastic big stout that might just have no equal. It would be an absolute travesty if this never gets brewed again. One can only hope that this will be a regular release. If it is bottled next year let me be the first...ISO: Hunahpus '10. (3,753 characters)

All cylinders are firing, perfect stout pour, amazing entertaining nose, multitude of flavors (coffee, vanilla, cinnamon) working over your taste palate with a nice heat finish. Perfect!! (187 characters)

2014 bottle enjoyed out of a snifter and a teku

A: Pours an incredibly thick and viscous pitch black. It's a cliche, but motor oil is the appropriate analogy. Serious legs on this one, and a thick film coats the glass. Khaki/mocha head that dissipates quickly into the darkness. Might be the darkest beer I've ever seen.

S: Bright notes of plums, cherries, and dark fruit; pleasant hints of vanilla, chocolate, and coffee; and lots of cinnamon. There's also a thick and heavy-ish aroma of booze, almost like rum. All of the foregoing might suggest an off-kilter, out-of-whack nose, but for all the intense aromas, the nose is incredibly restrained, well-balanced, and even mild. Just masterful stuff here.

T: The initial flavor is of creamy, slightly bitter coffee and chocolate, followed by dark fruits, thick vanilla, and a blast of cinnamon. Aftertaste is bitter coffee, cinnamon powder, and dark chocolate. Light and vegetal chili presence throughout. Final kick is a bit of heat down in my stomach. So many flavors working seamlessly together here. Delicious.

M: Rich, viscous, and light, and not thick, syrupy, or overwhelming. The beer is barely carbonated and almost flat, which works well for all the flavor this beer is packing.

O: Outstanding beer on every level. The aromas are so rich and pleasing, with each flavor playing off and complementing the others. The flavors are so decadent, so bold, yet so balanced and complementary. Who says you need a barrel to rule the world? (1,494 characters)

Had this at at Hunahpu day 2011.

A: Black! Similar the other Zhukov's. Small, dark brown head, that fades rather quickly.

S: Notes of alcohol, with some coffee and chocolate. Wow was the first impression!

T: You get hit with the roasted malt, coffee and a hint of chocolate. Finishes with a hint of vanilla and a slight heat from the pepper.

M: Thick, heavy body. Good carbonation.

Overall impression: Had this along with the 4 Roses and Brandy aged Zhurkov at Hunahpu Day. This is definitely a great imperial stout. (522 characters)

This was an all around amazing beer. Great nose and mouthfeel, booze, chocolate and cinnamon complimented by slight heat. All mix to a well balanced, heavy stout with intense flavor. (182 characters)

Appearance
SCARY. Did I screw up and buy used motor oil instead? No---it pours smooth, has tiny bubbles, and leaves a questionable sheen on the side of the glass :-) The head is late to appear, but it does appear, and it's creamy.

Smell
Nice. Hard to pin down what's there, but your nose says, "whatever it is, you MUST DRINK IT". There are so many attributes here, that I cannot discern a single one.

Mouthfeel
Smoooth. One senses a gritty feel, but I believe this to be a mental illusion. The look of the beer makes you believe it is gritty, but closing the eyes resolves this. It is a very smooth stout in your mouth.

Drinkability
100% body immersion and ridiculously complex. It is as advertised, yet that common grimy aftertaste is non-existent here. After swallowing you get similar effects to having a small taste of diluted moonshine, that is it warms the paths as it travels into your stomach. Then---your stomach remains warm for a time. How do they do that?

Obviously NOT a session beer, but after a 1/3 pint, you start toying with the idea that you could probably drink more than two. This is probably the smoothest stout ever tasted by this reviewer. The closest relative I can think of is Yeti --- HOWEVER as much as I like Yeti, it is quite apparently the red-headed stepchild of Hunahpu.

After 2/3 of a pint, the alcohol, which was previously hidden by the various flavors, makes its appearance with a big "HELLO!, remember me?"

After a full pint, my first thought was, "Now THAT was a beer!" Having been sufficiently filled, I had no more for a few minutes.

Cigar City---you guys are rockin'!! How can you possibly beat this? (1,650 characters)

2011, 750 ml bottle.

Uhhhh-MAZING! This review has been a LONG time coming. Had the privilege and honor of attending 2011 Hunahpu's Day at Cigar City Brewing, in Tampa as a part of our vacation to Florida.

A: Dark, dark dark! A true beauty amongst stouts. Pours like motor oil, and is thick like tar. Medium/dark head with a moderate retention.

S: Sweet, with the aroma of chocolate, subtle coffee scent, hues of vanilla and cinnamon. Such a complex whiff to a beginners nose!

T: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. Not an undrestatement. There is an intense cocoa/chocolate taste, but still hues of vanilla and coffee kick in strong throughout. There are also subtle spices that keep it from being overpoweringly sweet.

M: Full-bodied, creamy, goes down smooth. Slight after-burn, but definitely can be compared to sipping a fine, aged scotch.

O: This is by far my ULTIMATE favorite beer to date. I will saving the last 3 and opening them on special occassions. Definitely would consider getting on a plane next year with the sole intention of attending the next Hunahpu's release. (1,117 characters)

I first had this beer at the 2010 Stogie's & Stouts party at the Dunedin Brewery in February.

Pours black with big thick dark tan head. Aromas of roasted malts, cocoa, and chocolate. Flavor is robust with thick dark malts, tons of chocolate, light cinnamon, light smoke, and very faint heat from chilis. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Not abrasive in any way. Flavors come together so well. This beer comes with tons of hype and it lived up to it. Just like the rest of the CCB brews I have had. (495 characters)

C. Hard to see clarity when the beer is Black
H. Dark Black
N. Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate, hints of Vanilla

Comments taken from my blog

Alright this is why we came to Tampa. While I have had this beer before at craft festivals I have never actually reviewed it. Love the nose of this beer, it has such strong scent of coffee and cinnamon. It is hard to compare that odor, but it makes me happy. After first sip you can taste the cinnamon, coffee, and a hint of brown sugar and vanilla. Pretty complex and matures well while reaching room temperature. I would say slightly chilled is a great temperature for this aggressive beer. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Not an extremely thick Imperial stout. Wow...I'm really happy that I came to Tampa and am able to pick up some bottles of this beer. I personally think it is going to become AMAZING over time. (863 characters)

Believe the hype my friends, this beer is the real deal. Next year's release party is sure to be a mad house once this beer gets around a bit more via trades. I luckily came home with 12 bottles, most for trading.

The beer pours as dark as night, as some have said, like motor oil. Very little head, what remained was a small carmel colored lacing at the top. Smells are overwhelming served at room temperature. Everything from coffee, cinnamon, and chille. At first taste, almost all I got was the coffee, with a hint of chille. The warmer it got, the more complex the flavors. It has a smooth mouthfeel, and I didn't think the alcohol really stood out. As this ages, it's going to be outstanding. (699 characters)

2014 bottles poured into snifter.

One of my favorite non-BA stouts. Pours dark black with a small khaki head. Little carbonation. Smells of cocoa and vanilla, a bit of sweet molasses as well as a decent alcohol presence. Tastes smooth and rich. Lots of dark chocolate, fudge and mocha. Vanilla beans make it even smoother. Just a touch of cinnamon and a nice even heat on the aftertaste from the peppers. Just an outstanding stout all around. (451 characters)

My buddy Jeff brought this one back for me while on a trip to Tampa -- needless to say, it's been pretty tough sitting on this for the 2 and 1/2 years that I did. I shall not wait any longer. Review is from notes taken on 8/1/2012 and poured from the bottle (2010 vintage) into a snifter.

Appearance: Impressive to say the least -- comes out with a sharp *glug* and it's thick, like motor oil thick; starts with a scant 1/4 finger head that is that is a deep, dark, lush brown with some ruby hints to it; head fades to a wisp -- looks like oil sitting in a puddle; body is of course, entirely opaque; bit of an oily residue clings to the sides of the glass. This is pretty much exactly what I like to see come out of a bottle with a label that claims "Imperial Stout." Wow.

Smell: Pretty impressive as well -- big, robust and powerful, just rolls out of the glass; plenty of syrupy sweet and bittersweet chocolate/cocoa; lots of roast and earthy espresso-like aspects; perhaps some vanilla; dark cherries, but not tart ones, the especially sweet ones. I can't wait to get this into my mouth.

Taste: Jesus, this beer just keeps getting better and better. Really, just like the nose, big, robust and powerful; lots and lots of chocolate right up front, and it's more of the bittersweet/baker's chocolate; plenty of earthy and roast malt to it that brings a nice bittering balance about it; and I feel that there's definitely some smokiness hanging out in here too that comes across a bit spicy, those chiles are coming through.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much like a milkshake. The only beer I've seen that may rival this one in terms of viscosity is the '08 Dark Lord, and I don't know if anything will ever touch that beast. It's thick and heavy, creamy, smooth - it accomplishes all of this without being flat at all; a thick, sticky coating is left all over the palate and the teeth are left feeling gritty.

Overall: Part of me did not want to like this beer as much as I do, as I've only recently given my first perfect score for a beer, but this one has certainly earned it. Move over all challengers, this beer has everything. Impressive pour that makes you stare at it; amazing nose and an even more amazing set of flavors and a mouthfeel that just makes you want to get a spoon and scoop it out. F'ing fantastic. (2,317 characters)

This is the stout all others should be judged by. I definitely compare all others to this beer. vintages 2011 and 2013 are the best years to get.
it pours as black as dark lord but in a whole nother category. the nose is that of vanilla, cinnamon, tabacco, chillies. Smells like a liquified swisher sweet cigar.

The mouthfeel is heavy and coats very well. the glass takes three rinses to clean.
just a bad ass beer period! (425 characters)

Taken from notes on 4-3-11. Hooked up on a trade from jcartamdg. Thanks Jason.

I will start off by saying this has been a top 5 want for quite some time. My expectations are very high. I decided to open it fresh rather than cellar it. I was happy to share this with my tasting posse. SundaySuperFriends.

My Darkness snifter was shaking with anticipation. Pours a violent deep dark jet black. Not one shred of light is escaping this beast. Black hole with a reddish tan two finger head sums it up. My glass is stained with a blackish tan hue after i swirl.

Good thing I was blessed with a large nose so I could take in all the intoxication from my glass. Wow this smells freakin epic. Cinnamon, cocoa nib, and vanilla rounds it out. Cinnamon and cocoa are the front runners in my mouth. In the end of the swallow they've brought their friend chili pepper with them. What an incredible sip. Carbonation is dialed in to perfection. The beer is thick but not chewy. Fuck this is unbelievable.

Best beer I've had to date hands down. Number two isn't even in eye shot. If you took an x-ray of my stomach after drinking this you would see a flippin party taking place. If you don't like this beer you need a lobotomy. (1,215 characters)

Pours out like thick motor oil. Wonderful, black, with dark brown head. Smell is punching me in the face. Vanilla, chili-pepper skin, cinnamon, coffee and chocolate. Holy shit, the taste follows that exactly. So in your face. And the mouthfeel is out of this world. You could seriously chew in this beer. Hands down my favorite adjunct non-ba beer. Top 5 for sure. (364 characters)

I had the chance to go to Hunahpu Day a few times before it really blew up and once I had a taste, I totally regret not going when I had the chance. Totally deserving of the reputation it has, Hunahpu is big, smash-your-face-in, complex, multi-faceted, and an American beer legend. Only ding is that it's way too limited and too limited to get your hands on it. Cigar City has gotten so popular that I can't even buy Marshal Zhukov like I used to, but them's the breaks. Great beer that is worth trying if you ever get the chance. (530 characters)

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly! (1,140 characters)

Sampled from a 750ml that I traded locally for a Fou Foune.

A - Deep dark black with a great tan head. Clings to the glass nicely. Looks wonderful.

S - So rich with a great base of typical IS notes but then so much more. The peppers provide incredible richness and complexity without dominating. The cinnamon starts slow but really picks up over time. And the vanilla is wonderful. Wow!

T - Again, amazing with many of the elements of the aroma working together in great unison where each stands out on its own without interfering with the others. The peppers, cinnamon, vanilla and cocoa all do their part. And at the end, you have a light perception of pepper spiciness remaining on your tongue. Mmmmm.

M - Creamy and chewy with a low carbonation. Fantastic.

O - It's not often a heavily hyped beer exceeds its reputation but this one did. I loved it. (858 characters)

Another of my favorites beers out there. When they first released this beer, I thought it was perfect. Then they somehow improved it with this year's version. Amazing melding of dark chocolate, vanilla and chili peppers with a well hidden alcohol presence.

I've poured samples at festivals and always know when someone has come from the Cigar City table because there glass has a great, viscous brown coating. (410 characters)

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head

smell: loaded coffee, and sublte chocolate aromas

taste: probably one fo the best imp stouts Ive had. Love the pepper sensation. not taste, just feeling. Loads of dry chocolate flavors.

mouthfeel: full bodied stout

drinkability: we had a rare sout party is this was one of the selectons. The best of the night. A perfect beer. (386 characters)

2012

Pour Motor oil black with the darkest brown head ive seen on a stout thats creamy and thick. looks very viscous with good lacing left around the glass

i had my nose in the glass for a good amount of time before taking my first sip. its a very complex nose and i couldn't get enough. mildly smokey pasilla pepper, cinnamon, dark chocolate from the cacao nibs, some fruits and a little coffee.

cacao nibs hit you first, with cinnamon and the smokey pasilla back end with some licorice.

full bodied super viscous medium carbonation

overall this was fantastic extremely complex not only on the nose but in the taste. i really want to get my hands on another bottle and see it age just a little bit (706 characters)

On tap at Cigar City

This beer is the standard Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout kicked up a bit. Some chili were added along with a bit of vanilla and cocoa nibs.

A: Like all Cigar City stout's this one is evil looking in the glass. As dark as night with a huge creamy brownish black head. The beer clings to the glass as if it is laced with oil. The head hangs around nice, and leaves big chunks of that dark brown goodness.

S: To say the aromas are bold would be an understatement. Huge charred malt aromas with strong notes of bitter chocolate. Light hints of roasted chili's can be detected as well. The vanilla hides beneath all these bold aromas along with a bit of dark fruit and tobacco.

T: The roasted malt is the first thing you detect here. Coffee come next along wtih a blast of bitter chocolate and tobacco. A touch of vanilla can be picked up and then the chilis create a touch of warmth on the back of the tongue. Very complex and very unique.

M: Very full bodied, smooth, creamy with the chili's creating a real depth.

D: Not as drinkable as some of the other Cigar City stouts, but it sure is tasty. A one of a kind treat. (1,144 characters)

Aroma: So much going on here... dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon, a little bitter dark fruit. Easily a beer that I could sit there and smell for hours and remain content

Appearance: Pours like motor oil, the darkest of dark liquids... even while the beer is being poured the beer does not relenquish its hold on any light that may pass through it... opaque

Taste: As complex as the nose... every sip lends a different element of the beer, all of which are exceptional and are a pleasure in themselves... one sip is more vanilla forward, the next cinnamon and the next you finally get the heat from the chillies... I even get some milk chocolate, must be the vanilla and chocolate malt/cocoa nibs shinning together, you don't know whats coming but whatever it is will be delicious

Mouthfeel: The thickest beer I have consumed, coats every inch of your mouth... definitely a sipper but each sip is bliss, the alcohol may slow you down somewhat but thats not a bad thing

Overall: The best stout I have had... ever. I love barrel aged stouts but this beer gives me the vanilla I love from barrel aging, the roasted malt and dark chocolate from imperial stouts, as well as a little kick from the chillies for a little something different and is almost like a new experience with every sip... Awesome! (1,308 characters)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing