Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 695 | Hads: 3,452
4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

A= Got this in a trade with Mikeyv35. Thanks Mike!!! Poured this straight into the glass because I've read it's a little low on carbonation and I wanted to produce a little head on it. The pour is possibly the thickest darkest pour I've ever seen. Usually when you have a pour you can see a little light through the pour at least. This beer... nothing. The head is a nice deep dark brown color just shades away from a black head. It rises to just a half finger on it and holds some average retention with some spotty lacing on the side of the glass. Impresive to say the least.

S= It's a treat to smell for sure. There's a lot going on here. One of the most unique things I smell is the chilis. They present a little smokeyness and a little "heat" in the nose. They sort of meld with the other notes in it so while you do notice them they are not really their own entity. There is a lot of nice chocolate in it and coffee notes. To be honest everything melds together so much that it sort of has it's own unique smell to it. There is nothing really like this beer in smell and picking out individual odors in it is very very difficult to do simply do to the complexity of this beer and the way the smells fit together like a puzzle.

T= The taste is just like the smell. Sooo unique. The chilies aren't as dominant in the taste as the nose however it's a different mix. The mix has a lot of nice chocolate in it. The chocolate is easily the most dominate flavor. Things are a little more easy to pick out in the taste that's for sure. You get a nice coffee flavor to it but not much. The vanilla and cinnamon that the bottle says is added sort of falls in the mix. The finish is nice and had a little bit of a smokey flavor and a little bit of chili to it.

M= Amazing! This beer drinks like a milk shake. Thick and creamy. Literally like a milk shake. Soooo chewy.

D= Really an amazing beer. This beer is a truely unique drink. There is absoloutly nothing that I have ever had that will match this beer. This beer is the real deal for Impy Stouts. If your looking for a unique elegant experience seek this beer out. (2,118 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was worth the wait. I had a very worthwhile review my wife made me take down. This is my scrubbed review. I like it. I like my wife. I like my dog. I think Jinx is a great show. Good beer. I hate snow. Go Britta Truskey (235 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this at the re-grand opening event on 1/15/10.

A- Pour a thick black with a light dark brown head.

S-Vanilla and light chocolate hit the nose first then some roasted malts.

T-Again big vanilla. Then roasted malts come in with some chocalate (not dark, but not milk either). No bitterness present. Great flavor. You cant really taste the chili peppers at all. No heat either.

M-Very creamy, and kinda hot. I didnt taste the peppers, but about 1/3 done witht he beer and you start to feel a slight burn, a good burn down your throat. Not an alcohol burn tho, a hot pepeper burn.

D-For and 11.5% beer, you cant taste the alcohol at all. If I were to guess, I would have said 7%. This is one great beer, I could have a ton of these, until I started to stagger across the room. Best beer I have had to date. PERIOD. (819 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours black with a finger of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S - Incredibly complex, there is a ton of chocolate, caramel, chili peppers, cinnamon, molasses and brown sugar. A lot of coffee in here as well. Smells massively sweet and rich.

T - Complex taste, lots of chocolate all over this one and the slight burn from the chili is somewhat rather satisfying was very surprised. Taste is great.

M - Nice smooth creamy thick feel with low carbonation. Sticky sweet coating on the tongue. Outstanding

O - The best non-barrel aged stout in the world. I could drink this all day. What a genius move to use chili peppers in a chocolaty rich stout. Wish I had another bottle. (705 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 2011 bottle thanks to BA muskabeatz.

A: Pours a dark, black, motor oil color that we've all seen so many times before. Where this beer really stands out to me is its head, this thing foamed up to maybe an inch and a half of, way over what I've come to expect from the latest and greatest big Russian Imperial, a bit too much for my preference. The head was so creamy it seemed to keep swirl lines.

S: Here's a sticking point with me, my drinking buddies described the aroma as "subtle", which to me says that it's not very strong. Initially I just barely smelled a sort of biscuity scent with a hint of pepper, but as it warmed it I caught much more sweet chocolate and vanilla. The way this aroma changes makes me wish I could give it two ratings, initially, I found it lacking, but as it warmed it came around.

T: This thing is marvelous! The very first thing I taste is chocolate, but just like packages from good traders, it's laden with extras! Just like that special release you get as an extra, this beer comes with a little peppery spiciness tinged with real cinnamon. Somehow all of these flavors work well together, AND THEN finishes out with a bit of sweet vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering.

M: So creamy! Thick and evenly carbonated, somehow this stout still feels almost like it's been whipped. Really a unique mouthfeel experience.

O: This is a good one, lives up the hype in my opinion, the peppery spiciness and cinnamon make this beer one-of-a-kind. Seek this one out if at all possible! (1,539 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from 750ml bottle (2011 vintage) into snifter at cosmonick's tasting.
Trying this one at long last!

Aroma: You know that feeling you get when you know you're about to drink a great one? That's what I got when I smelled this one. Sweet molasses, powdered hot cocoa mix, coffee, and vanilla in the background. Nothing but good stuff!

Appearance: Thin, tan head disappears quickly to a mirror-like black surface. Body is pitch black. Legs, rather than lacing wash down the sides of the snifer as I swirl the beer around.

Flavor: Wow. This one gets progressively better from start to finish. Aroma components also come through in the flavor. Milk chocolate, vanilla, and delicious coconut. A great amount of complexity to ponder with each sip. And there's the pepper, which comes through toward the end, and provides a subtle, but definitely noticeable, prickly heat. The pepper works very well in this one, and is the highlight in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: Full body and low carbonation. Alcohol and pepper provide enjoyable heat in mouth and throat.

Overall: Definitely one of the best I've had--easily in the top 5 (maybe 3). Due to the high alcohol, and limited availability, it's recommended that this one be shared w/ one or more fellow BA's. I will definitely be seeking this one out again! You've gotta try it! (1,323 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

750 ml brown bottle. 2011 Edition. This beer pours a super thick bad @ss used motor oil black. The ever expanding head is tan in color but is also black. I don't know if I've ever seen a head this dark in color. The aroma has some dark fruits, nice spice coming out , vanilla, and spicy pepper. It also has a big bready quality.

The taste at first is like a chocolate milkshake. A lot of roasted flavors coming in with some spice and spicy flavors. All its parts seem to work together perfectly while not being over the top. The palate is rich and creamy.

I still can't believe how much this tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It really reminds me of the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3 and if anyone has tried that then you'll now what I'm talking about. A huge world class Imperial Stout. (800 characters)

Big thanks to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this gem

Reviewed 3/4/12

Appearance: Pours like oil, with one of the darkest heads I've ever seen - the beer itself is pitch black, with a brown head, small amount of spotty lacing

Smell: So much going on, it's overwhelming in the best way possible - chocolate in pretty much every sense of the word - chocolate malts, baker's chocolate, cocoa, cacao nibs, semisweet chocolate, fudge - chilies, of multiple kinds - burnt malts, very roasted, caramelized malts - caramel, burnt sugar, vanilla

Taste: Similarly amazing - chocolate - milk chocolate, semisweet chocolate, baker's chocolate, burnt malts, coffee beans, roasted coffee - the use of chilies is fantastic - adds a mild chili heat - a touch of wood, but this aspect is pretty blown away by the roasted malts, burnt malts, chocolate and chili magic

Mouthfeel: Heavy, slick, decadent - minimal carbonation, but it works perfectly

Overall: Beer? This is more like a magic potion

There are so many good things about this beer that I don't even know where to start. The base beer is great, and the chilies and chocolate additions are fantastic. This is magnificent. (1,164 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 batch. Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: The beer is pitch black. No lacings around the glass but the beer left a tint of brown coating around the glass after swirling. Its thick like motor oil.

Smell: Wow... just so much to pick from, I was getting cinnamon, a ton of vanilla, some chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and also some booze.

Taste: A ton of chocolate and a ton of cinnamon. Maybe just a tad too much cinnamon. With each sip it starts out sweet and the heat from the chiles comes in midway through. It's a very prominent heat but not overwhelming at all. With the heat, you can still taste the beer and appreciate the chocolates and vanilla tones. It's incredible how the heat of the beer pairs so well with the flavors of an imperial stout. There is a slight burn in the mouth after you finish the sip. But its slight and stays around - not like a raging fire after eating spicing Mexican food. The heat and the flavors were artfully crafted together in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: silky and smooth. Not so creamy like I wish it would be but it's not thin either. The subtle heat of the beer just coats every inch of your mouth.

Overall: this is one of the best beers I've had. I want more of this, too bad I only had one bottle. What's interesting though was I had an opportunity to try this a few months ago. At that time, I did not note any heat and there was an over abundance of cinnamon. But this bottle I just drank was incredible - the heat was there, there was many flavors to pick from, it was delectable. (1,543 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Thank you Josh for sharing this amazing bottle.

Review from notes...

Poured out looking like Texas Tea, straight oil with 2 fingers of creamy mocha colored head. Excellent retention.

The aroma on this stout was simply amazing. Huge notes of chocolate followed by roasted malt, spicy chiles, vanilla and getting some cinnamon on the back end. All of the notes are in sync with one another to make a very delicious aroma.

An explosion of flavors filled my mouth with each sip. Decadent chocolate, chewy fudge, roasted malts, vanilla bean, cinnamon and very earthy chiles with some heat backing them up. Very complex and it only gets better as it warms.

Thick, chewy but extremely smooth. Low carbonation but it's the perfect amount for this stout.

This beer was insane. Extremely complex, smooth and delicious. This one definitely backs up all of the hype that goes along with it. Can't wait to get another bottle. (919 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

2014 release. Black with mocha head poured into a CCB snifter. My Volvo's engine would run on this motor oil. Beautiful looking stout. Nose is full of cinnamon, chiles, and chocolate; a trifecta of deliciousness.

The taste follows and has a full-blown blast of roasted malt as an end note. Coupled with the chiles, the roasted flavor along with the chocolate lets off a hint of smoke. Feel is very nice and smooth. Maybe a hint of earthy hops in the finish that go along with the general smoke and earth of the malt flavors. A bit of sweetness lingers in the finishes and rubs up and kisses the vanilla a bit. For a brief second, I get a vinous vibe.

I had the 2011 version a few years ago and the 2014 delivers the same. This beer is a monster in the best way possible; a whale of a beer that actually carries the weight of its hype. (838 characters)

Huna Day at CCB 2014.
I never really cared for Huna, I always used it to trade but damn 2014 huna is amazing. Loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate, chocolate and spice on the nose. The flavor has loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate and spice with a hint of heat from the chilies. Its like drinking a chocolate gingerbread cookie that's been dipped in chocolate. Well done CCB on this years Huna. (396 characters)

750ml bottle 11,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2011 Vintage

December 21st 2012 - according to the Mayan prophecies, the end of the world is roughly 15 minutes away. I guess this would be the appropriate time to crack open a beer named in honour of the Mayan hero who defeated the lords of the underworld and ascended to become the sun.

Appearance: Hunahpu pours as dark as any black hole that is potentially about to devour our planet - not even the dying rays of the sun can yield any light along the edges of the glass. A rough pour yields a massive chocolate mousse coloured head that lasts really well for the Abv. and leaves a few small patches of lace as it recedes. A swirl coats the glass in a sticky brown residue, that fades into heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Ah man, this smells divine! I am not sure I could ask much more from what is potentially my last ever beer! The Peruvian cocoa nibs take center stage, with intoxicating aromas of dark chocolate, cocoa, dark chocolate mousse and cocoa dusted dark chocolate truffles dominating the first few sniffs. As the beer begins to open up, the vanilla beans combine with the cocoa to yield a sweeter milk chocolate aroma, alongside notes from the base beer, including roasted malt, dark roast coffee beans, molasses, dark caramel and some dark fruits. As the beer warms further traces of the chilis become apparent.

Taste: Well, if the world does end in 5 minutes and 28 seconds time, I will die happy - this is absolutely delicious! The flavour has more in common with the base beer than the nose, but the cocoa, vanilla and chilis are all well noted. Flavour notes include: Masses of roasted malt, almost as much dark chocolate, some char, cocoa, dark roast coffee beans, light vanilla, some sweeter milk chocolate, sweet dark caramel, molasses, a little liquorice, some deep dark fruit characters (burned raisins, dark cherries and stewed plums), dark treacle, an earthy note and a light chili flavour. The finish is quite bitter and displays a distinct chili heat that tingles the back of your throat and increases in intensity as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Sadly Hunahpu is a little over carbonated for my tastes, at a medium (or just over) level and not quite as smooth as I would like. The body on the other hand is superb - full, thick and chewy.

Overall: It would seem as though I finished my review just in time - 20 seconds left. . . . . 5 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 . . . . . . God damn it - nothing happened! Ah well, I guess I will just have to settle with enjoying the rest of this world class imperial stout. (2,611 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 poured from bottle into a snifter.

A: Outstanding. Pours a deep, rich, black sludge color with one of the most interesting heads I've seen on a stout... almost milk chocolate in color, which eventually fades leaving a nice ring around the head of the meniscus.

S: Sweet, rich fudgy chocolate, vanilla, coffee, cofee, and a hint of spice at the heel. I've never smelled a beer quite like it.

T: Ho. Lee. Shit. This is over the top delicious. Rich cocoa and coffee first, immediately greeted by cinnamon and vanilla sweetness, with the chillies providing just a hint of heat on the back end as the cocoa notes linger. It's like drinking liquid chocolate pudding topped with cinnamon... simply outstanding!

M: Thick and smooth without being overly chewy. Coats the palette nicely, without overstaying its welcome.

O: Straight to the top of the list of stouts for me. In fact, Hunah makes me forget every other stout I've ever had... simply amazing and deserving of it's reputation. (989 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Delivered black hole black with a cocoa-colored head, big and creamy that slowly dissipates and leaves great lacing.
Smell is roasted malt, fruitcake (wheat and alcohol soaked dark fruit), vanilla and a hint of nuts.
Taste is all that the nose delivers and ginger, hops and smoke. Alcohol present but not obvious or overbearing. Great balance.
Full bodied and extraordinarily creamy. Smooth like velvet or a baby's butt (bad image?). Alcohol warming with a slightly dry finish. You must drink this if the opportunity presents itself. No arguing. (545 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

750 ml bottle thanks to yamar68 for sharing this elusive gem with me! Mr. Hunahpu pours an extremely dark black with a one finger khaki head that lasts for ages, and is one for the ages. The nose brings me massive joy, I feel like a phish kid listening to Harry Hood for this first time. Glorious aromas: Huge dark chocolate, vanilla bean, roasted malts, and some spice from the chili's. There is a strong scent a cinnamon as well. The taste is extremely unique for a stout, it's very impressive and still not was I was expecting after reading so many reviews. Flavors of extremely dark chocolate take over my palate, along with notes of vanilla, spicy cinnamon, and bitter caramelized coffee. Hunahpu's is extremely flavorful and complex but not as full bodied as I was expecting. It's more of a smooth bodied and drinkable stout. The nose is the best part and the taste follows in superb fashion. The spice sets this beer apart from other stouts. It definitely lives up to the hype! (984 characters)

8 oz pour into Chimay goblet at Rattle n Hum:

A: Black body, somewhat brownish in the light, with a dark dark brown head

S: Big chocolate, coffee, vanilla, salami smoke, and caramel.

T: Huge chocolate: dark, but not too dark. Coffee and sweeet caramel complement well, along with some nice touch of smoke. Rounding it out perfectly is a good dose of cardamom. Brilliant. Unlike some other big stouts with big flavors, everything here comes together perfectly. Right proportions, right balance. Wow.

M: Full, with layers upon layers of flavor, a slight alcohol burn, and a long-lasting finish.

D: This is the perfect stout. Huge flavors, subtle flavors, big body. The only knock is that it's so understated in its strength that it can really get ahead of you, if that's a knock. (782 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible. (1,180 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

2013 Vintage

Pours from the bottle like motor oil. Deep chocolate, incredibly dense head. The beer looks very rich, with a nice oily, slickness to the appearance. Pitch black except at the very edges where a reddish brown ring is visible. Very nice looking.

Smells of cocoa, roast, sweetness. Smells good but the aroma is probably the most subdued aspect of this amazing beer.

The taste comes in waves of flavors, dark chocolate, sweet vanilla, coffee roast, some heat from the chiles and warming cinnimon finish it off. Absolutely astounding how good this is. The flavors are perfectly blended, with nothing overpowering. It's a very cohesive flavor profile.

Full mouthfeel, bit seems a little lighter that its base Marshall Zhukov.

Absolutely worth the hype. One of the best I have had. (794 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a luscious depth of black. Small head full of rich caramel. The nose has cinnamon and chocolate. Once warmed you can pickup a little cocoa. The taste is a fantastic blend of waves featuring each additive, really impressive. The feel is a rich chocolate milk-like consistency. Overall I want more, lots more. (319 characters)

2010 Vintage poured into a large snifter

A - Thick, dark black color. Nice 1-finger tan/caramel head. After a nice swirl you can notice a reddish tint to it. Possibly from the cinnamon or chiles.

S - Can smell all of the dark fruits associated with this stout. There is a slight hint of chiles along with the cocoa and vanilla.

T - Such a smooth, creamy stout. You can really taste the sweetness of the dark fruits and cocoa. Again the hint of chiles is there despite it being almost 2 years old. Very complex. Really is amazing.

M - Like I said before, very creamy feel. Slight stickiness. Exactly what you would expect after with the appearance, smell, and taste.

O - One of my top 3 favorite beers. This one being 2 years old, can only imagine what a fresher version would be like with the extra pop of chiles and cinnamon as I am sure this one had mellowed a bit. I cannot wait to try more in the future. Awesome. (922 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

2013. The long awaited Hunahpu.

This is a massively flavorful beer - incredible flavor depth and excellently balanced all around. Chocolate is the dominant flavor and aroma. Incredibly rich velvety mouth-coating milk chocolate, bittersweet dark chocolate covered oily espresso beans. The madagascar vanilla beans yield an amazing bourbon-vanilla sweetness - some toffee too. It's perfectly boozy at 11%. It's like a spirit coated decadent chocolate vanilla spice cake. The chillies and cinnamon blend incredibly well together and create a spicy and slightly vegetal pepper skin with a cinnamon kick. It has a wonderfully smooth, viscous, mouth-coating full body with very soft carbonation.

Incredible beer that stands out as one of the best in my memory. It's hard to imagine that a barrel aged version could make it better with so much going on, but I must try one after experiencing this. (893 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2014 750 ml vintage, served in a snifter

A) Extremely, extremely dark. Light does not escape this beer, and only a slight tinge of amber on the outside rim. Almost the appearance of a thick motor oil. How an imperial stout should look.

S) Front loaded with heavy scents of dark fruits, particularly plum. This is followed by less prominent smells of cocoa nibs, cinnamon, and chilis, in that order. Probably the most complex nose of any beer I've experienced.

T) The immediate thing I notice is the heavy dark fruit sweetness that I felt in the nose, almost immediately followed by thick dark malt, and the flavors of the chilis. The chili flavor only has a hint of heat, but it's a warmness that lingers long into the aftertaste. I don't immediately taste the cinnamon or vanilla, but detect both in the incredibly long aftertaste that lingers with this beer. My only real complaint is that the cocoa nibs lead to a bitterness that detracts a bit from the overall balance on this. The aftertaste is longer than almost anything I've had before, including even Islay or lowland malt scotches. Lasts for ages.

M) Thick, oily, amazing. The oiliness doesn't waterdown as it lingers on the tongue as some can. While well carbonated, you can barely detect it even when leaving on the tongue. Just an incredible feeling on this one.

O) Admittedly not quite what I expected, especially noting the strength of the fruit scents and taste. That said, I find little I can actually fault in this one. I wish the cinnamon and vanilla were a bit more prominent and the cocoa nibs were a bit less, but those are fairly minor complaints considering the overall complexity of this beer. If you are lucky enough to get your hands on one, do not pass up the chance. Well worth it. (1,765 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A - jet black with a ton of chocolate milk head

S - roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla

T - huge roasted taste, cinnamon, just a hint of spice, and then everything is mellowed out by the vanilla

M - lush, rich, incredibly smooth

O - an incredible beer, a complex mix of flavors that meld incredibly well

I reviewed the 2011 version with a year of aging. My only complaint with this beer is CCB does not make enough of it. I had to quit my job to get this as a going away gift, thanks PintOStout! (498 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a finger dark tan head. Still one of the darkest beers I’ve ever seen.

Smell is a clusterfuck. Got the coco, some spice, some roast and a lot of coffee.

Taste is...carrots? Chili and coco, bit of a chalky texture, very well balanced, cinnamon, graham crackers. Magnificent. Loses the red fruit of Marshal but gains so many more flavors.

This can stand beside Abyss. It’s a near perfect blend of perfect flavors. Rich, but not overpowering. Thick but not heavy. Delicious and beautiful. (512 characters)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing