Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
RomaniIteDomum

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

So, for my 100th review I thought I'd review a special beer.

The beer is awesomely black. No head. Mysterious.

In the nose you get chocolate, chili, some cinnamon, and a few other smells I can't identify. The smell adds to the mystery.

Only in your mouth can you truly appreciate the complexity of this beer. The layers of flavor are nothing short of astonishing. So much going on that every sip is a new experience. Wow.

In the mouth it is a smooth, creamy, well-balanced treat. Almost velvety.

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've had, much less one with such a high ABV. I just wish they made this one more often.

11-06-2009 15:55:54 | More by RomaniIteDomum
jsgreen16

Indiana

4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

This is the best Imperial Stout I have tasted I had on tap at the 2011 release and also opened a bottle at the Jackie O's One Funky Afternoon bottle release. The bottle that I had opened was damaged a little in shiping and some air got into the bottle so it tasted a little flat but was still hands down one of my favorite beers. Pour it in a glass and it looks like motor oil with a dark chocolate brown head. You can smell the chocolate and what ever peppers they used in brewing. Chocolate came through strongest in the taste for me along with the peppers, hints of coffee as well. Like I said one of my favorite beers I just wish more would have made it back with me from spring break.

05-13-2011 19:29:53 | More by jsgreen16
GreesyFizeek

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle received in a trade with jgam115, thanks a bunch man, this was goddamn amazing. Shared with stillmatic2232.

Pours a deep dark opaque black, with a copper orange-ish brown head that looks like straight up cinnamon. Holy crap, coolest looking head ever. Unfortunately, it dissipates in less than a minute, which I could have expected given how big and chock full of crap this one is. Not much lacing.

Smells heavenly. Huge cinnamon aroma, with lots of fudgy chocolate, some vanilla, and a slight pepper aroma.

The taste is even more over the top delicious. Honestly tastes like a cinnamon roll studded with little pieces of pepper and drizzled with copious amounts of chocolate syrup and vanilla frosting. The flavors come together incredibly well, with cinnamon leading the way and dominating the conversation. There's a slight pepper twang at the end of each sip that builds up in the back of your throat, and leaves your lips a little tingly.

Honestly, probably the best mouthfeel on a beer I've ever had. Just the right amount of thickness in the body- viscous and chewy without being overbearing. Low carbonation, insanely creamy. No alcohol burn is present whatsoever.

This is next level. I can't believe a beer like this exists. If you haven't tried this, do everything you can to get your hands on some.

05-08-2014 01:16:18 | More by GreesyFizeek
augustg

4.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Just on my way back from the 2013 event and was lucky enough to have this on an unlimited tap. After having the 11 and 12 I knew this was one of my all time favorites. The 2013 did not disappoint. Pours a deep brown/black with a thick brown/red velvet head. Smells of vanilla, marshmallow, cinnamon, chili, chocolate and a little roast. Spices come through first on the taste then mellows into a nice caramel vanilla with a bit of burnt cacao. Fantastic overall and it seems to get better every year.

Thanks CCB for making great beer! See you in 2014.

03-11-2013 17:32:06 | More by augustg
hotmanflab666

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

the Hunahpu is the best, plain and simple, out of all the big stouts(DL, IST, Darkness, etc), Hunahpu releases a very smooth well rounded chocolatey malty flavor that just puts any other beer to shame,i strongly suggest finding this beer and trying it, my favorite hope its your too

05-06-2011 02:44:44 | More by hotmanflab666
anycrew

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured this beer into a stemmed tulip glass from a bottle.
Beer is dark brown to black with carbonation the creates tan swirls on the surface of the beer. The beer has strong legs that grab to the side of the glass. The glass had a coating of residue on the sides when finished.
The aroma was amazing for a beer. I also got the olive aroma, but I thought it smelled more like green olives.
The taste was quite interesting. Strong bitter dark chocolate flavor.
Had a smooth finish without lingering bitterness. I got some sweet malt/ coffee flavor that balanced it out. Was not overly sweet like Ive had with other stouts. Very well balanced, made you want more. I liked the the mouthfeel very much. I thought that it could coat the tongue a little more.
This beer was great as small servings with a break in between. I didnt have enough. Possibly the best beer i have had to date. Definitely is my favorite stout.

04-05-2010 19:19:49 | More by anycrew
BradTheHophead

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer was worth waiting in line with 5000 other beer advocates for a few bottles of this Imperial Stout.

A. Dark body with a copper head.

S. There is plethora of smells from chocolate to malts.

T. Starts of with malt and hops and finishes with chocolate coffee taste.

M. Warm and almost overwhelming with all the taste. Surprisingly the 11% alcohol was not noticeable.

O. This is a great complex beer from a great brewery!

01-22-2013 04:59:33 | More by BradTheHophead
GarrettMD

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

05-13-2011 20:15:57 | More by GarrettMD
youradhere

Arkansas

South Sound Tasting Notes

Pours black with brown head, very apropriate for an imperial style. Smell is chocolate, chocolate, and chocolate covered cinnamon. Taste is- you guessed it- chocolate, with cinnamon and dark cherry, some cedar character and some slight barley char. Very well balanced and the depth of the flavors keeps me sipping. Mouthfeel is appropriately thick! THICK IS GOOD FOR RIS (I'm talking to you, you bird-lipped Southampton RIS). Medium carbonation is near perfect for the body to make this truely decadent; as preferred, this RIS coats the mouth in rich flavors (ahem, JKBM, take note). Overall, wow, if I weren't such a homer this would get a perfect 5, but that honor is reserved for my favorite reserve series RIS. I love how the flavors are balanced, yet seemingly take turns coming to the forefront of your palate's attention. A true joy to drink!

9-20-2010
From tasting notes, 750ml bottle. Pours black, black, black with dark tan head; light only shows through the very edges of the glass. Looks like Abyss when poured. Smells like cold coffee and chocolate. Taste is sweet brown sugar with tart grain astringency and chocolate bitterness to balance it out. Cold coffee, malt sugar, restrained hops, and bitter dark chocolate on the mid-back tongue; very slight smoke flavor makes itself known only when you aren't looking for it, kind of tastes like burnt coffee a bit but in a pleasant way. The sweet and sour balancing act is great, there is a lot going on in this beer. I think the sour I'm picking up is the cherry and oak notes that keep playing hid and seek. There is a lot going on here in the taste department, one of the best RIS I've had to date. Extremely well balanced yet still very flavorful, and very drinkable. This is a great desert beer and I wish I could get my hands on a bottle to save for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, something of that nature.

10-09-2011 19:05:05 | More by youradhere
BrbnBarlAgdBil

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

03-10-2013 20:05:40 | More by BrbnBarlAgdBil
glid02

Georgia

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

Growler shared by HOPSHUNTER - thanks!

Pours black with a one-finger dark brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells amazing. Vanilla and smooth chocolate notes meet up with deep and dark malt flavors with just a hint of underlying heat. Tying everything together are hints of cinnamon. What really seals the deal for me in the aroma department is not what is included but in what levels it's included. Everything present plays off of each other perfectly.

Tastes great. Roasted malt flavors and robust dark chocolate kick things off and are joined shortly by mild hints of vanilla. The vanilla serves to sweeten things up a bit until near the end of the sip when an earthy heat that builds on itself enters into things and carries through to a mildly bitter ending. The cinnamon doesn't make nearly as much impact as it does on the nose.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I finished my glass absurdly quickly and could easily have five more trying to dissect everything going on in this beer.

Overall this is one of the most well done and interesting beers I can remember having. I look forward to trying this again someday and hoping that it's as good as I remember it being. Do yourself a favor and make it a point to try this beer.

Serving type: growler

02-01-2010 20:57:23 | More by glid02
deathcharms

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

06-30-2011 07:51:00 | More by deathcharms
biggied

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

A- Jet black with a dark dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Practically stains the glass.

S- Oh wow! Smells incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is awesome! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is overbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

10-03-2011 02:50:49 | More by biggied
cyrusthepup

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

Enjoyed in a snifter at CCB taproom.

A: Pours motor oil black with a nice tan head. Good retention.

S: Slightly sweet and lots of chocolate. The cinnamon, vanilla and chiles are subtle but you can pick them up. Wonderful.

T: Serious chocolate up front followed by the cinnamon and vanilla. I realized that the warmth I was getting was from the chiles and not necessarily the alcohol. Wow, I'm not sure if I have experienced so much going on in a beer. Given all the flavors in this beer it is extremely well balanced. One of the better i've had for this style.

M: Thick, very smooth and chewy. Low carbonation.

D: Very drinkable given the ABV. Could have a couple but i'm sure it sneaks up on you. Glad I picked up a few 750's to age and enjoy later.

Thanks CCB for another fine beer!

03-14-2010 04:43:31 | More by cyrusthepup
ChrisRoemer

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

I absolutely love this brew. I have a few verticals 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. I've had it on draft several times at the brewery as well. I prefer to let them age in the bottle. It has more bite coming off draft, but the flavors really mingle and mellow out in a good way after it's been aged. Pours thick like motor oil and smells of dark chocolate with chiles and vanilla mmmm. I've had the lairds apple brandy huna on tap as well, but I prefer the original, although I have yet to try the California Brandy Huna (2013). Overall, great beer across the board and I use this as a standard when comparing any imperial stout!

06-27-2013 17:07:45 | More by ChrisRoemer
4thelvofbeer

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

This could be one of the best beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. Really nice, really deep, really, really good. Thanks to Donn for picking this up for our outstanding tasting. There is some much depth and flavor in this beer, it is a great example of my favorite style of beer. The chiles, the cinnamon, the tastes and flavored are great. Pours a beautiful black with a nice brown dark head....overall..pure awesome!

09-12-2012 00:20:37 | More by 4thelvofbeer
lakersfan16

Alaska

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

2011 vintage. I took the bottle out of the fridge, and allowed it to warm for about 30 minutes before I poured my first sample into my tulip glass.

A: I cannot recall another beer pouring any darker than this beast. It looked exactly like used motor oil coming out of the bottle, absolutely no chance of any light making it's way through whatsoever. A normal pour yielded about a 1/2 inch very dark brown head, again one of the darkest I have ever seen. Looks very appetizing.

S: Wow, where do I even begin? Chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, cinnamon, and a hint of chiles, somewhat subdued.

T: The first sip absolutely blew me away. I honestly didn't move for about a minute, savoring and trying to comprehend all of the flavors I was experiencing. By this time, it had warmed up to the perfect temperature, and all of the flavors seemed to complement one another perfectly. Strong cocoa/chocolate flavor, with cinnamon also pronounced. The vanilla and chiles were also noticeable, but not overpowering, playing a perfect supporting role. It is so completely rich, that drinking a couple ounces took quite a while, but I enjoyed every second of it.

M: The mouthfeel on this sucker was amazing, one of the best I've ever had. Very thick, but at the same time silky smooth, almost velvety.

O: This beer is probably the best non-barrel aged imperial stout I've ever had. It's so complex that it seems no amount of description will do it justice. It's balanced perfectly, all of the different flavors seem to blend together better than I ever could have imagined.

This was my first Cigar City brew. I huge bravo to everyone involved in the creation of this beauty!

07-01-2011 16:32:12 | More by lakersfan16
greenmonstah

New Hampshire

750 mL bottle of 2011 batch shared with two others

A - Pours pitch black with half a finger of the darkest head EVER. Dark dark dark brown head with average retention and nice lacing. Never seen anything quite like it.

S - Vanilla, chocolate, considerable coffee bitterness. Even a little fig. The chile comes into play, as does the cinnamon. No booze to speak of, which is incredibly impressive.

T - I'm not worthy! This is insane. Vanilla and chocolate in droves. The chiles add this amazing je ne sais quoi that really rounds out and perfects the beer. Cinnamon is there to bring it all together and round things out. A touch of chile heat at the end to cap it off. Chocolate dominates the finish. I can hardly believe how good it is. The first time I've given a 5 in taste, and deservedly so.

M - Smooth, creamy, thick, and just right. A touch of heat at the end, from the chiles, which really enhances everything.

O - This is it. I never expected it to be this good, but this beer is just about perfect. A revelation, in many respects. Nothing is really close. Perfect use of the chile and the vanilla. Truly, this beer is unmatched.

05-14-2011 00:45:56 | More by greenmonstah
oglmcdgl

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

750 bottle paired with mole rubbed duck over grilled polenta and a spicy chimi churi sauce.

A- poured about as dark as it gets, black as a moon less night with a bit of espresso colored creamy head. Super thick and oily so viscous it coats the glass.

S- amazingly complex. First I'm hit with dark roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Then smooth deep fire roasted chilies and chared wood. The chilies show up as a spicy but earthy burn. Layers of sweet dark berries and mexican cinnamon. Bourbon vanilla mixes its way in the sweetness with some brown sugar and molasses.

T- dios mio. This it the truth. Roasted everything! The coffee and chilies bust it up first and roll into the chocolate with such beauty. 86 percent dark chocolate with big tropical fruit and over ripe dark berries. The vanilla sweetens things up and brings a balance to things. Smokey wood and a slight nutty char deepen the flavor and bring it all back around.

M- chewy and thick. Light carbonation that lends its way to a nice linger and long finish, and that's super fine with me.

D- great I'd say. This is a huge brew in flavor depth and alcohol but this never get boozy at all. It just keeps me coming back for another sip.

04-02-2010 00:35:48 | More by oglmcdgl
huntermop

South Carolina

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - Really thick, really black, nice brown head, and again really thick

S - Smells amazing! Choc, cinn, and especially vanilla. A hint of chilies

T - Best thing I've ever put into my mouth! I got chilies right away along with the incredible chocolate/vanilla. Little bit of cinnamon, not much. Malty and rich. Damn good

M - Creamy, roasty, malty goodness. Slight/perfect heat.

O - So lucky to try this 2011 Huna. Like I said, best thing I've ever drank! Just a perfect beer in my mind. Only thing that might be better is the BB Huna!!! Need one. can't wait for my first Hunahpu Day next year.

05-25-2013 18:12:26 | More by huntermop
earljones199

New Hampshire

4.91/5  rDev +7.4%

Bottled 2/4/14

The pour is thick black oil. Leaves a quickly disappearing burgundy head that isn't very prevalent and doesn't leave much lacing.

Smell is incredible with a strong cinnamon accompanied with vanilla. Booze smell comes in as well.

Taste is great with a lot of cinnamon, vanilla and dark chocolate with a little booze warmth coming in too. No Chile's to taste or smell from this beer like it says on the label.

Mouth feel has a great carbonation for just a split second on your tongue to start. The flavor lingers around nicely on your tongue.

Overall a great beer that I was greatful to have and need yo get more of.

03-26-2014 17:58:38 | More by earljones199
rmolledo

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Cigar City Never Ceases to Impress!

A: Motor Oil Black, Sticks to the Glass, Tar Pit with a tan frothy head that hunkers down low around the edge of the glass.

S: Plumb, Raison, Malty, Roasty, Chocolaty, Caramel, Alcohol, Subtle Molasses hints/

T: Just tasting this beer lets me know that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Possibly The Holy Grail of Stouts? This beer should be in a genre of it's own, with it's Intense Dark Chocolate & Roasted Grains, Almost a woody earthy background. Slight alcohol burn. or is it? Suddenly you will feel a burn in the back of your throught that soon spreads to the rest of your mouth. This beer is alive and won't go down with out a fight.

MF: Creamy, moderate Carbonation. Hot Pepper tingle.

D: (More, give me More. Now!) obviously not for the faint of heart or die hard BMC drinkers whom would never appreciate the artwork within the glass.

04-10-2010 01:39:35 | More by rmolledo
moz9

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Well, this beer lives up to the hype. It's unique, it's different, but most of all it's great.

Bottle was obtained from the brewery a week after the release. Poured into a tulip glass--the pour is motor-oil esque. Thick, viscous, a light brown surface--can't really call it a head. Brownish swirls.

This beer has a nose like no other. The first smell is black olives. Never what you would expect from a stout. As I kept smelling and as it warms, it smells more of coffee and chocolate and the olives fades.

Initial taste is very light and pleasant, with stout overtones but not as heavy as you would typically expect from a stout. As it warms, it provides a nice dark chocolate tang, with the finish very similar to--yes, a cigar.

Mouthfeel is very light and pleasant. This is a VERY drinkable beer and although you will most likely take your time drinking it, you will enjoy every minute of it.

This beer is well worth the cost and the hype. Top notch!!

04-05-2010 00:17:13 | More by moz9
md655321

Stunning.

On tap at Brewvival, huge thanks to COAST and the Charleston Beer Exchange for doing an incredible job. Charleston is becoming a serious beer town thanks to Scott and Rich at CBX in particular.

A: Almost black, with a beautiful dark mahogany at the edges. Dark crimson legs. Wondeful and unique.

S: The usual with bits of chocolate and a touch of cayenne pepper/chilis.

T: Amazing. Creamy, roasty, incredibly well integrated, with little spice and lots of chocolate. Shockingly good.

D: I managed about 4 or 5 five oz pours throughout the day. It was wonderful every time.

I love this beer. At first I was excited because I wouldn't have to trade to try it. Now I know I will have to trade for some because it is a top 5 beer for me.

03-01-2010 23:48:19 | More by md655321
Cheesemoose

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Served on draft at Kickbacks into a 8oz Unibroue snifter/sampler glass. 6oz pour.

Blacker than your ex's heart is this beer. No light anywhere near this beast is getting through. Dark mocha head, similar to a chocolate mousse, only darker. Lacing is spotty. A finger of head on the pour. Even when just moving the beer in the glass, the sticky nature of this beer takes over, leaving its mark throughout. Viscous just isn't enough to describe this beer. At rest, this is a nice rim of mocha head sitting at the cusp where the beer meets the glass. Lovely.

Nose is dominated mostly by the chocolate base that is Zhukov. Having had this fresh, it has lost most of its profound nose. Notes of sweetness from the vanilla, and a mild chili presense. Much more of a "chocolate" beer nose than anythign else. Alcohol noted, though has to be sought after. It has lost much, so I am rated it higher knowing what it once was. Fresh is better in this regard.

The taste experience is something found in no other beer I've had. The chocolate base of Zhukov is found through out, accententuated by the cocoa nibs. Off of this base comes the flavors in order. Vanilla, then cinnamon and then a fine note of the chilis. All are well done, none dominated and still an imperial stout. So much more than a chocolate beer at this point. So, damn, amazing. It may lose a bit since it was kegged in terms of fresh flavors, but it has gained a balanced quality.

So bloody viscous. Sticky in the mouth. It requires plenty of time to enjoy. It is impossible to merely drink this one, as it something to be savored. Requires a good hour just to drink.

SO intense, so powerful, so unapologetic, and so brasen in the approach, yet well done. Hard to bring another "flavored" stout that has this much intensity yet it is so enjoyable to drink. Very, very, very well done.

09-06-2011 22:44:31 | More by Cheesemoose