Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Ratings: 3,364 | Reviews: 714
4.35/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have never had Hunahpu this fresh so I may be looking at things through a different set of eyes.

As soon as the bottle was open all I got was cinnamon raisin toast, seriously. This is not a bad thing, but it was was way more dark fruit than past offerings.

Everything was spot on, great nose, excellent head retention, outstanding mouthfeel.

I will open another bottle in 6-8 months and see how much this beer changes overtime and will update this review.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

I enjoyed this bottle with tenderbranson courtesy of weeare138 -thanks for the chance to taste this beauty, Mike! poured cellar temp into a tulip.

A deep fudge brown color with creamy tan cap, no light passes through. The retention is good and lace sticks well, very small bead. This is an attractive beer to say the least. The smell is multidimensional, lots of creamy malt, caramel, cocoa and spice which adds a mild vanilla bean note with hints of alcohol in the aroma. The feel is light spice, full body with moderately carbonated presence, the spice notes come forward in the middle and the finish is semi-sweet.

The taste of this is broad, lots of complex spice and malt qualities at play here. The taste of the dark malt is slightly cococa enhanced and seems nutty,but that my just be the earthy vanilla presence. The slight spice distracts from the alcohol in the flavor and gives a nice complimentary accent to the caramel malt flavor and roasted notes round out the big stout. The spicing really adds to this beer, it feels like one I would want to enjoy in the winter or the holidays, lots of festive flavors in the mix which work so well with the base stout. The pepper is mild but this adds to the drinkability for me with the nutty earthy and cinnamon quality making for a unique brew and highly drinkable stout.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Thanks to someone (Chris?) for opening this at the Hunahpu's showdown. I've had this beer numerous times, but never gotten around to reviewing it. 2011 vintage reviewed, but 2010 sampled at the same time. Served in a Hill Farmstead glass.

A - Looks like all the barrel-aged Hunahpu's we had, but with more foam. Angry dark red foam that settles to a thick collar, leaving spotty lace as well as a glass-staining brownish film. Pitch black body.

S - This is the first time I've sampled the new 2011 vintage, and I'm shocked how present the cinnamon is, as it's a flavor I never really picked up from the 2010. Plenty of vanilla, chocolate, and roasted malts, as well as some vegetal chile notes - you can tell these aren't the super-spicy varieties. Alcohol is well-hidden, even as the beer warms up, and there's great complexity and richness.

T - The taste is similar, but there's less of the sweet and cacao and vanilla and more of the charry, roasted malts of Zhukov. Chocolate flavors veer towards the dark and bitter side of things, and the finish is slightly tarry. Still, these are only minor quibbles, and on the whole the flavor is delicious. Less chile pepper and spice presence here as well.

M - The massive body, chewy and viscous, has always been one of Hunahpu's main strengths, and the carbonation is low but sufficiently present to support it. Creamy, thick, mouth-coating, and with shockingly little alcohol presence.

D - An instant classic in the US craft beer scene, and a beer that holds up extremely formidably with its barrel-aged brethren. I'd actually prefer to drink this over the Virgin Oak version, and probably the bottled Bourbon edition as well (Four Roses I think?).

Unfortunately the 2010 vintage is not holding up so well - the adjuncts seem to be fading at non-linear rates resulting in unpredictable and strangely unbalanced flavor combinations. I don't recommend holding onto this beer for more than 12 months.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Thick, tarry black with a fluffy tan head and a rich oily residue that laces down the inside of the glass. The nose presents a heavy metallic cocoa with a slight vanilla spiciness. The taste is thick and intense with a combined effort from the vanilla and chilies working together to make this beer something truly exceptional and worth drinking. The thick, sweet, roasty, full body feels like silk and leaves a slightly spicy finish on the palate (more bark than bite)...it's almost like drinking a liquid campfire, minus the smokiness. Completely worth the hype and worth the money, enjoyed annually, especially this years.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Bottle shared with a BA buddy.

A: Dark black with a very viscous look. A bigger head than I am used to with some of the big cigar city stouts. Nice 1 cm dirty dark brown head.

S: Smells really strongly of spice and strong dark malt. There is a hint of booze in the nose.

T: Really surprised at the flavor of this one. Really robust. I gather dark burnt flavor up front with some cocoa and coffee hints. The middle and end remind me of vanilla and I got the spiciness at the end. I'm going to guess that was the cinnamon. It wasn't as spicy as I was thinking it would be from the chiles.

M: Like I had said, more carbonation than I was used to but it was really good full bodied beer.

D: A sipper and glad it was shared. On top of being 11.5%, the robustness of the flavor could get overwhelming but an excellent beer regardless, I just would try drinking a ton of it.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: It's dark as hell. As my husband was pouring, I thought it looked like oil going into my Portsmouth Snifter. The head looks deceptively like chocolate mousse. When my husband poured the last few drops, I swear it looked like chocolate syrup on chocolate mousse.
Smell: This surprisingly didn't sizzle my nose hairs with a strong alcohol smell like I had expected. I smell chocolate and vanilla.
Taste: I taste chili and chocolate.
Mouthfeel: This feels a little thick.
Drinkability: I think this is a great beer to sip and to be enjoyed... Very slowly.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Split this with my man Garchooga during his recent visit.

A- Pitch black, viscous, and heavy as hell. No light penetrates this one. 2 finger chocolatey head. Very Immense looking

S- Just incredible, loads of sweet chocolate followed by dark sweet fruit and hints of pepper spice.Detect some vanilla and caramel, dark licorice, and malted milkballs.

T- Very complex, initial bitter and sweet chocolate flavors, roasted malt and toast, followed by more sweetness and pepper-heat as the beer warms

M- Thick, Thick, Thick, and coats all the way down. A bit syrupy for my taste, but delicious.

D- Split this with a few friends, I woke up on the couch where I drank this one. After this and a few homebrews I was fucked up! It became a bit difficult to finish as we delved deeper into the bottle and the beer warmed up. Glad I got to try this one.

4.35/5  rDev -5%

Got this in a trade with PALMEJ1, thanks!

Appearance is spectacular, pours a ultra dark midnight black color with a huge cocoa colored head.

Big and rich smell, huge roasted malts with a sweet licorice and burnt sugar smell in the back. So rich and complex in the nose, I cannot wait any longer to try it.

Wow! This is unlike any other double stout I have come across. Bitter dark chocolate up front with a spicy pepper component in the back. So rich and complex, very big and thick in the mouth as well. One of the more interesting beers I have had.

Mouthfeel is thick and viscous with a bitter flavor lingering on the tongue.

Overall a great beer, glad I got the chance to try it.

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottle courtesy of JM03. You went too f*cking far bro!

Holy sh*t. I've poured some thick and vicious stouts, but this was scary. Used motor oil from an 86' Suburban. Head like a chocolate milkshake.

Cocoa aroma, chocolate, slight coffee, chili back end. Roast and evil.

Chocolate milkshake. Slight chili taste back of the throat, huge roast. Some oak and vanilla. There's a lot of flavors fighting for attention here.

Thick, full and coating mouthfeel. Epic.

I feel guilty drinking this because the person that sent it likely didn't save a bottle for himself... he deserves it.

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally have a bottle of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout to myself. Great way to end a bad day. Thanks so much Matt!

I really want to try this super fresh now. March 2013 release, tons of fudge and dark chocolate up front. Sweet with a hint of chiles. Subtle red wine-like grapiness on the back palate. The finish is all cocoa powder. Dense and heavy in the best ways. The pour was almost the best part: thick, it nearly oozes into my glass and I fear a head is impossible. Then, slowly, the deepest mahogany foam cascades vertically to allow an impressive cap to such a big stout. Hell. Yes.

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2014 poured into a CCB snifter. Reviewed side by side with Prairie Bomb!. Consumed 3/28/14 - reviewed from notes.

A - Pitch black no head.

S - Apple cinnamon oatmeal overwhelms the nose, some chocolate and roast poke through with the slightest hint of pepper.

T - Pepper and Roast come out much more and balance the cinnamon, though it's still the forward flavor.

M - Viscous and velvety. So much sugar my lips feel like I just ate a plate of baby back ribs, I need a wet wipe. There's also some lingering heat on the inside of my mouth from the peppers.

O - An amazing use of all those adjunct harmoniously. Bomb! is a great beer in it's own right, but Huna blew it out of the water IMO.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

750Ml bottle poured into a wine glass 2011 vintage.

Pours a very dark black with a small very dark brown but thin head. Nose is chocolate, spicy and coffee.

Wow, taste is awesome the spiciness is all over the place and there is tasty chocolate flavor that's really unique with the peppers. Very surprised this is much better than other hyped stouts.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

revised with 2014 bottle on March 2015.
Chili still evident.
A touch too sweet.
Amazing complexity and delicious aroma.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

700th review! Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. No dating info but this is from the release earlier this year so a bit of age on it. Was jet black in color even against the light. I gave it a good pour to stir up the aroma so it had a large dark brown head that slowly whittled down to a good collar and thin film fed by the etching. Thick sheeting the quickly at first then slowly slides back into the glass leaving some spots.

The aroma is of many different aromas and excellent. Alongside the typical stout aromas are a big dose of chiles and cinnamon along with cacao and chocolate. Also get a good dose of vanilla and alcohol. Only complaint was that the alcohol and vanilla was a bit too prevalent and distracted from the other great aromas. The taste was also excellent and had plenty of dark fruit sweet balanced with the cacao, chiles and vanilla. Again, the only flaw was the amount alcohol and vanilla in the taste. Still very good and one of the best stouts I've had. Mouthfeel was rich and chewy with good carbonation and aftertaste.

Overall, an excellent stout that is worthy of the praise. Highly recommend if you can find this rare gem. Great for sharing. My first, and won't be last, Cigar City beer. Can't wait to visit it next spring during my FL trip. Not avail here so acquired thru a trade. Rotation - considering how hard it was to get this one, I doubt I've ever really have another but I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I could. [O;Y]

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

thanks go out to tpd975 for hooking eric and i up with this in a recent trade. thanks greg!

750ml bottle. sampled aug 10/2010.

pours black and opaque with the darkest brown head i've ever seen. the small very fine head drops fairly fast and leaves spotty lace as it falls.

aroma is great. dark and milk chocolate. light cinnamon spice. a nice deep smell gives you just a hint of prickly heat on the back end. hint of alcohol. whole wheat bread and biscuit. bit of citrusy west coast hops.

taste is good. dark and bittersweet chocolate. bit of milk chocolate. cinnamon. rich cacao. lightly warming chili character. hint of coffee. light alcohol. whole wheat bread and biscuit. the vanilla character stays mostly hidden until the end.

mouthfeel is great. medium-large body. just under medium carbonation level. very smooth.

drinkability is great. excellent balance. great extra depth. all the elements - cacao, chili, cinnamon - come through and compliment well. great stuff. i think the chili heat came through more in the small sample that i had back in april, but that may have been the intense case of heartburn talking...

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Part of my stout tasting on October 22nd, 2011. 2-3 oz. into snifter. Stoked to try this one.

A – Intensely thick and oily pour yields the darkest mocha-colored head I have seen yet on a stout. Similar to Marshal Zhukov’s, this brew coats the glass with a filmy, brownish-yellow residue. Lots and lots of legs clinging to the sides. Intense appearance here.

S – Definite roasted almonds and vanilla up front. A lot of depth underneath those two primary flavors - slight pepper spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, tobacco, leather, a variety of chocolate, and coffee. Beyond that, and I must be imagining this, but I get the sense of oak barrel as well. No alcohol.

T – Dark chocolate, espresso, roasted nuts, and cinnamon transition into a blend of vanilla extract and pepper near the back of the drink. The flavors are very layered but don’t quite fully integrate. Finishes slowly with a sweet chocolate finish contrasted with a touch of pepper burn and bitterness from hops.

M – Adequate in this category in every way. Smooth, heavy, rich.

D – Mole in a glass? Not quite but it’s damn-near complex enough. Takes the base beer and improves on it in a variety of ways. Will pursue more.

Vintage 2011

A: Pours obviously quite thick - crude oil. Broken, dark mocha foam coats the surface and then dissipates nearly immediately. No residual foam. No lacing. The beer coats the walls of the glass and tans the window.

S: Plenty of vanilla. Plenty of earthy and spicy chiles. The ancho chiles are more evident than the pasilla's, but nonetheless, the chile is there. Anise and licorice notes are also there, and IMO, more prominent than the cocoa.

T: Dark chocolate truffles laced with salt, chile and vanilla. Decadent. Very sweet and sticky. The beer is not particularly complex, but the ingredients are fairly balanced in here. I've read that the chiles are the fastest dying aspect of the beer - I'll buy that. The cocoa is at the forefront of the beer, but the chiles offer the counter to the sweetness albeit subtly. The vanilla flourishes in the ol factory aspect of the palate. There's bitterness which is predominated by the malts IMO.

M: Sticky, tacky, viscous, chewy. I really can't use enough adjectives to describe how thick and alive this beer feels. The thickness is only interrupted by the fine, sharp carbonation. There's no visual indication that this beer has carbonation, but the feel is spot on the for the style. Finish is dry and mouth watering.

O: There's no question this is a fantastic beer. Does it live up to the hype? Almost. A little more from the chiles and I would say yes. I can't see the benefit of aging this in barrels. The bottle size is a bit too much for one, but would be great for four folks as a digestif.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pitch black with one of the darkest mocha heads I have ever seen. Leaves very slow. Thick. Yowza. Some cling lace.

S - First hit is cocoa followed by coffee. Milk chocolate in there too. Candy bar.

T - Milk chocolate, chocolate chip cookies up front, yum. Some small tart note at finish.

M - Creamy, smooth, good balance and carb.

D - Big, can't take too much. Very nice though.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

From 3/27 notes. Got to share with some other BA's thanks to a great trade with bobby8405... thanks Bob! Poured from 750ML bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep, dark black color with one finger of brown head and a little bit of carbonation evident. Great rentention on the head.

s - Smell is a mixture of cocoa, chile, chocolate, and vanilla. The chili was very interesting and gave it an almost fig/dark fruit taste. Very interesting mix, but enjoyable.

t - Tastes of chile, cocoa, and vanilla. Also some roasted malts. As the beer warmed up a bit, I got some cinnamon and some more of the chile. A very interesting mix.

m - Full body and low carbonation. Very thick.

d - I thought this was very interesting. It was probably the best beer using chile that I've ever had, and had a load of interesting smells and tastes that worked well together. Quite complex. All that being said, it's not my favorite stout. Don't get me wrong, this was a very good beer and I would love to try it again, but I felt, as did some of the others who tried this with me, that it did not live up to the hype surrounding it.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Served in a tasting glass due to the horror that was the Hunahpu distruction.

Thanks to TMoney2591 for getting and destroying the bottle

This beer pours a a very viscous dark matter with a brown foam on the surface. The smell is very much a bourbon, coffee and soy sauce smell. Some serious chocolate smell as well. The taste is rather nice and complex. The flavors are smoke, oak, bourbon, bit of salt and rum. This is odd on the tongue, hard to explain. Not bad. The drinkability is very nice. Overall pleasant and a shame most of it hit the floor.

I was able to re-review this beer with the assistance of Florida9
2/26/11
Many of the same flavors came though, but when there was actually carbonation there was actually a greater depth to all of the flavors. There was ancho chiles in the background of the flavor and it was a damn fine beer. The sweet peppery flavor was really nice. So I'm bumping up the rating accordingly to compensate for what I now believe is a fair shake of this beer.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

Received this bottle in a trade -- thanks. Poured into a snifter. Beer is noticably thick as I pour, leaves legs on the sides of the glass. Beer is pitch black, black black. You can't see through it at the corners to through the thinnest part of the beer. Its just not happening. Forms a brown head, overall thin of smallish to medium sized bubbles and it leaves some lacing on the glass - although I think the alcohol is hindering the lacing overall.

The aroma is surprisingly spicy. I can get some alcohol, very slight, but I can definitely smell some chilis. This makes me nervous slightly but not too. The more I smell the more subtle characters of sweetness and a slight chocolatey bitterness come through. Smells good.

Beer is full bodied in the mouth. There is not a spicy / chile flavor as I was expecting in the beer after the initial aroma. There is a lot of roast in the back of the palate and nice carbonation / connectivity on the palate. There is some sweetness up front and nice chocolate based / roast based bitterness on the trailing end. No aftertaste to note and drinkability is high. I enjoyed it. It was complicated and some of the complexity is lost by the size but overall a very good stout.

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

A: The definition of a motor oil pour. I was mildly shocked to see the single layer of mocha bubbles that did rise at the end, not to last for even as long as it took to walk with my glass to a chair.

S: Lots of chocolate, backed by a mix of green and dried chilis. Cinnamon takes a distant back seat.

T: Wow... like dark drinking chocolate with a shot of strong espresso added. Chili comes in, but just faintly. Vanilla is also present, but without much sweetness it stays in the background.

M: Low carbonation. Full-bodied, but not as thick as the appearance would suggest. Lingers very nicely, but the residual sweetness is low enough to keep it from becoming cloying.

O: I've had a couple bad experiences with aged versions of this beer (unpleasant green pepper aromas), but this one redeems it completely in my eyes. An extravagant beers, but not so overwhelming that I couldn't easily drink the whole bottle. I do think this experience puts this beer firmly in the "drink fresh" category for me, though. (This bottle has been in my refrigerator since my buddy brought it home from Hunahpu Day.)

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

2011 vintage, poured at Chuck's CD bottle share.

Dark chocolate notes are dominant with cinnamon spice playing a supporting role. Vanilla and chili have pretty much faded at this point. Would love to try this fresh!

4.33/5  rDev -5.5%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer at the Cock & Bull Pub's Cigar City night.

It's black, of course, with a foamy dark brown head.

It smells of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is very chocolaty. With the creamy body it's very much like a beer-chocolate milkshake. But that's not all. There is also a nice chili spice. It's not hot; instead the beer has just a twang of heat. Very good. There is no hint of the high alcohol level, so beware.

The body is super-creamy. It's the creamiest beer I can remember.

An excellent beer. It's one of Cigar City's best, and that's saying a lot.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2011 Hunahpu, reviewed from notes taken back in December 2013.

A: Looks like black. Head slowly formed, the way a nitro beer would after the pour. Head was dark brown and laced the glass.

S: Dark chocolate up front, with coffee hints (which are slightly acidic). Fruity aroma is mainly pomegranate.

T: Sweet, with bitter chocolate, moving cleanly into a slightly coffee flavor mixed with a slightly chile skin type stunted vegetal taste. Smoothly spicy aftertaste, mixed with chocolate and sour coffee taste to end.

M: Creamy but not too thick. Flows easily without getting too overwhelming. Slightly acrid, but has a great smooth finish.

O: Excellent in all aspects, especially mouthfeel. Was easy to drink and had enough tastes to keep each sip fresh.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing