Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)

AntG21, Aug 06, 2014

SteelersX, Jun 28, 2014

bertram, Jun 11, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -50.1%

This one is from notes.

A - One finger dark head overlying a black as night brew. Great head retention and lacing. There are multiple shades of brown that layer on top of each other within the head itself. Very nice.

S - Pickled jalapeno peppers, stale vinegar, and cinnamon. This is literally the worst smelling beer I have ever smelled. Gross.

T - Better than the smell, but still really bizarre and poorly melded together. Bitter roasts and dark chocolate up front, with harsh chiles and sourness in the finish.

M - Very nice. Rich and thick - just as a heavy, high ABV stout should be. Not much carbonation, nearly perfect to my liking.

D - Not a whole lot here. The overpowering aroma and taste of the jalepenos/chiles leaves a lot to be desired in this beer. And it's a shame too - without the addition of such random, poorly chosen ingredients, such as the chiles, this would make a truly excellent stout. If this were available on tap at the Map Room or any other Chicago beer bar, I would certainly not order it, nor would I ever seek out another bottle.

airohead2001, Dec 09, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -46.4%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 5 ways.

A - pours thick, a Beautiful inch thick head covers the motor oil stout. Looking into the glass you notice the head has colored of tan and red, and they swirll together to marbalize a great looking beer.

S - ok, this beer starts to go downhill here. The aroma is of soy sauce and chilies. Really offputting for my stout preferences. The aroma jumps around to slight coffee roast, but the bad smell of the chilies overpowers and ruins it for me.

T - this beer is different. The first sip hits with a slight coffee and chocolate blend, some slight vanilla, then hits you with a cloying sweetness, then some offputting chilies, finished by a slight hot alcoholic finish with cocoa, and it could not have finished much worse. The beer was all over the place and the flavors did not blend well at all. It felt like they just through in a million good ingredients and figured they would all be great together, and simply, it doesn't work well together.

M - very carbonated, creamy, and smooth. This is how I enjoy my stouts. The carbonation could be toned down a bit, but the mouthfeel is still amazing.

D - this beer was a tough one to drink. All 5 of us said it was a rough beer, and hard to enjoy. The messy flavors ruin the beer I was expecting to enjoy. The heat from the alcohol is noticable, and offputting. I didn't want anymore of this beer, so the drinkability suffers.

O - this was one of the biggest beer dissapointments IMO. The flavor was all over the place, cloying sweetness, chilies, and alcohol ruin what could have been a good beer. It was close to unanimous that this beer was far from good. I really went into this unique beer with an open mind, but was still just dissapointed in the end. Not worth the hassle to get and try this messy beer.

abecall98, Jun 27, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Muddy black pour with an enormous chocolate mocha head. More carbonation than I expected

Smell: Burn/roast mix of black coffee, chocolate, and dark malts. More burnt coffee than anything, the stuff that accumulates in the bottom of the pot when you leave it on the burner for a few extra hours.

Taste: More of the same, the burnt/roast potpourri of coffee, chocolate, and dark malts. Maybe some prune and cherry juice.

Mouthfeel: Thin and a bit over-carbonated

Drinkability: Low, just not that good. Not sure what everyone sees in this one. I didn't finish the glass, much less the bottle. I thought Zhukov's was better. I guess there is a market for this but I am not it.

craytonic, Apr 30, 2010

incubuscience, Apr 23, 2013

Jparkanzky, Dec 11, 2011

tclang, May 11, 2013

Poured a 2011 vintage into a CCB snifter and shared with my girlfriend

A: Pours like molasses, midnight black in hue with a slow-rising, deep chocolate colored head. The head quickly falls and the liquid sits like oil in the glass. Slow falling, vinous legs drip down the sides of the glass upon swirling. Very attractive beer.

S: Very bold burnt roast profile upfront, heavy on the anise and alcohol. A slight waft of baker's chocolate resides in the background. I have to say, the alcohol and burnt roast character don't make for the most inviting aroma...

T: Wow, there is a lot going on here. Some things in a good way, a lot of things in a not so good way. Bitter, dark chocolate upfront with a very heavy lean on malts roasted to the point of char and a touch of heat from the chiles. The middle of the beer is the hardest to get through but near the finish is not as bad as the previous taste leads you to believe. Instead of a bitter charred bite, the beer starts to finish with a kick of vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and a pretty good velvety, chocolate cake like profile. However before the sweet taste really sets in, the alcohol rears it's ugly head and leaves a lasting, burning note that makes for a not so pleasant aftertaste. In all, a lot is going on here and it is not exactly well blended.

M: Decent mouthfeel, thick and syrupy with slightly too much carbonation. Full bodied, with a very coating character. Finishes with a tingling burning sensation from the alcohol and a high emphasis on a tobacco like char. Sits EXTREMELY heavily in the stomach.

O: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. It is possible that Imperial Stouts just aren't my thing but this was a really rough beer to get through. Going in, I was expecting a well blended, smooth and dessert like stout with an intriguing blend of flavors. What I got out of it was a rather harsh beer that I kept wanting to like, but each consecutive sip made me cringe just a little more. I didn't want to waste my $20 investment and thought maybe, just maybe it would start to get better over time. Wrong assumption. The char and the alcohol were just too much and the balance that I sought just wasn't there.

All in all, I had to suck it up and drain pour half of the $20 bottle after about 2 hours of trying to get through it. I could likely enjoy this beer as maybe a 3oz sample, but any more than that seems to become insufferable and hard to finish. I guess my next bottle will have to be brought out amongst A LOT of people. I can't see how many people could endure more than a couple ounces of this brew in one sitting.

By the way, the beer literally made my girlfriend physically sick.

RossCain, Jun 11, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -45.3%

2012 vintage, thanks to macrosmatic for the bottle.

A: very dark, coffee colored head that dissappears quickly.

S: dark and bitter, little boozy with a meaty bite.

T: burnt chocolate malt, sharp and harsh. Not getting any vanilla here. Can pick up a tiny bit of cinnamon and bitter chocolate, not much pepper either. Pretty strong on soy sauce flavor here.

M: thick and rich, decent carbonation comes through.

O: not what I expected at all. Very little of the extra ingredients are shining through. Really a lot of soy sauce happening with a bitter chocolate fInish. This is odd because I have had Zhukov several times and that beer does not have these same base characteristics. Would love to get more vanilla to balance out these harsh flavors. This was a miss for me, would not buy again even if it was an off the shelf beer.

daryk77, Sep 04, 2012

bullywee, Feb 16, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -41.4%

25.4oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Deep Chocolatey brown with a deep brown head consisting of large bubbles.

S - Chocolate, chiles, and some coffee.

T - Strong Chiles, Chocolate, and Tobacco- like a old wet, used up cigar.

D - Mild Carbonation, oily in the mouth.

O - I was really looking forward to this one, but I was dissapointed. The ingredients are clearly present, but not in an appealing way. The wet tobacco flavor was just too much for me. The chile flavor was also present, but it didn't seem to fit.

HuskyinPDX, Jun 01, 2011

C-Dog, Nov 27, 2012

olibeer22, Jun 24, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -39.8%

This one didn't really do it for me. It poured a dark cola brown/black with a decent white/mocha head. However the aroma was VERY sweet, like sugar and coffee and dark malts dipped in sugar and than encased in a shell of sugar. Taste was very sweet. It seems like their is a good beer under the sweetness but it really is hard to tell. Mouth feel is slick and sweet. Drink-ability is altered by the sweetness. Why the hell is this so sweet?

francisweizen, Feb 23, 2011

neorunner, Sep 12, 2013

RuckusDu, Jun 12, 2012
2.76/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

I've had this on a few occasions now. I was entirely underwhelmed by it the first time, so I had to give it multiples tries in order to understand why this beer is praised so much. And I still don't get it. This just simply is not a good beer.

The look is good enough: dark brown-black with a wispy tan head that dissipated almost completely; few legs on the glass. Aroma was pretty basic for a stout, dark malts, some roast, with distant spice notes. For all that's put into this beer, the flavor profile is extremely weak. Dark roasty malts typical of a basic stout, stale tobacco, some sugary sweetness with a hint of cinnamon, cocoa powder, anise, something vegetal that could possibly be construed as hot pepper, but comes off more like dill pickles, with no real burn or nice peppery taste going on. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, which seems to be what makes this beer suffer the most; body is medium, very light for a stout, much less an imperial stout, and the alcohol warmth, while present, isn't too intense.

Of all the over-hyped uber-beers, this one probably impressed me the least, and to think that there is an entire day devoted to this beer, kind of baffles me.

Rifugium, Mar 24, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -37.6%

Alrighty, finally acquired some bottles of this one and decided to crack it.

The appearance is f*cking gorgeous. This is what a stout should look like. Pitch black and pours like motor oil. A nice three finger chocolate marshmallow head upon a somewhat forceful pour.

Smell is, meh. Some vanilla and cacao, not much going on in the sinuses for this one.

Taste is, again, meh. I get a *hint* of vanilla, a good amount of the cacao nibs, but little to none of the chiles. You can kind of tell it's there, but not really. Maybe it was more present super fresh?

Mouthfeel is like the appearance, a wondrous experience. So creamy and smooth. It sets the standard for mouthfeel on a stout.

Drinkability isn't bad, but it wasn't smart for me to try and drink this one by myself. I'd probably recommend nothing beyond a 10ox pour of this one and even that may be a bit much.

It's a decent brew, in everything except taste. Which sadly is why we all drink these, isn't it?

Cedromar, May 30, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -35.4%

2011 vintage shared with 2 non-BA's, my Dad & sister, sometime in early April. Big thanks to Belthor for this one.

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick jet black with the darkest head that I've ever seen. The head was about a 2-finger billowy chocolate color and had great retention. Great lacing.

S - Large amounts of spicy chili's with a slight vanilla undertone. Also present is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and sweet dark malts. It definitely smells different, but not so much in a good way.

T - Up front are notes of cocoa, a mild coffee, and a little vanilla. I can't get past the sickeningly sweetness that follows next. On the finish, I get a lot of cinnamon and a little bit of spicy chili's, but both are more unpleasant than anything. Very strong presence of burning alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel was good and pretty much what I'd expect. It was smooth, creamy, rich, and fairly full-bodied. My only gripe was that it seemed to be a little over carbonated.

D - Overall, the drinkability just isn't there for me. The taste is unappealing and tough to drink, given the sweetness and alcohol burn.

I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, but that'll be it for me.

kevinv, May 07, 2011