Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

2.92/5  rDev -36.2%

Alrighty, finally acquired some bottles of this one and decided to crack it.

The appearance is f*cking gorgeous. This is what a stout should look like. Pitch black and pours like motor oil. A nice three finger chocolate marshmallow head upon a somewhat forceful pour.

Smell is, meh. Some vanilla and cacao, not much going on in the sinuses for this one.

Taste is, again, meh. I get a *hint* of vanilla, a good amount of the cacao nibs, but little to none of the chiles. You can kind of tell it's there, but not really. Maybe it was more present super fresh?

Mouthfeel is like the appearance, a wondrous experience. So creamy and smooth. It sets the standard for mouthfeel on a stout.

Drinkability isn't bad, but it wasn't smart for me to try and drink this one by myself. I'd probably recommend nothing beyond a 10ox pour of this one and even that may be a bit much.

It's a decent brew, in everything except taste. Which sadly is why we all drink these, isn't it?

2.99/5  rDev -34.7%

2011 vintage shared with 2 non-BA's, my Dad & sister, sometime in early April. Big thanks to Belthor for this one.

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick jet black with the darkest head that I've ever seen. The head was about a 2-finger billowy chocolate color and had great retention. Great lacing.

S - Large amounts of spicy chili's with a slight vanilla undertone. Also present is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and sweet dark malts. It definitely smells different, but not so much in a good way.

T - Up front are notes of cocoa, a mild coffee, and a little vanilla. I can't get past the sickeningly sweetness that follows next. On the finish, I get a lot of cinnamon and a little bit of spicy chili's, but both are more unpleasant than anything. Very strong presence of burning alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel was good and pretty much what I'd expect. It was smooth, creamy, rich, and fairly full-bodied. My only gripe was that it seemed to be a little over carbonated.

D - Overall, the drinkability just isn't there for me. The taste is unappealing and tough to drink, given the sweetness and alcohol burn.

I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, but that'll be it for me.

2.99/5  rDev -34.7%

Maybe I built this one up too much but I was greatly disappointed with 2013 Huna. The look and feel of this beer were amazing but for some reason all I could smell and taste was olives.

After a bit I finally got some vanilla undertones but this thing tasted like a olive bomb. No chocolate, no chilies, this thing was a mess.

3.11/5  rDev -32.1%

Thanks to Abel for sharing at his tasting:

A - Pours jet black with about 2 fingers of mocha head. Dissipates moderately leaves some nice lacing. Great job.

S - Melanoidins, chiles, milk chocolate and some light roasted coffee. The melanoidins have almost reached a soy sauce phase and the chiles came as a bit of a surprise. Some alcohol flavors, which are to be expected with a heavyweight.

T - Starts with some malt roastiness and heavy melanoidins, which are a bit cloyingly sweet. Followed by chocolate, vanilla, and a moderate dose of alcohol warmth. Light bittering hops finish the taste.

M - Malt dominated, with a medium to full body. Lots of carbonation and a cloying creaminess. There is quite a kick of alcohol warmth.

D - My expectations were let down by this beer. The alcohol warmth is a bit much and the beer is too cloying. It is almost as if the yeast were unhealthy. This beer could use some heavy aging as well.

In general, I think most BAs are quick to hype imperial stouts and poo-poo the lagers. There are some well crafted imp stouts like Abyss, Old Rasputin, Kate the Great, and Dark lord, but this isn't one of them.

3.17/5  rDev -30.8%

3.18/5  rDev -30.6%

This is an odd ball stout. It looks great. Dark and rich. Ruby tints

The first thing I got in the aroma was smoked green pepper, and it stayed. The thing with peppers is that they'll dominate taste and smell (at least the green ones and while cooking). No difference here. While cocoa, cinammon, and coffee exist, they are tainted.

taste is just a mess. The cedar, smoke, & peppers don't mesh well in this one. Cinammon adds something different other than musky stuff, but not enough save the tate. And the cocoa is muddle.

Not a good taste. Too bad

3.25/5  rDev -29%

Split with airohead2001. Poured into a snifter.

A: This beer has the darkest head I have seen. I would describe the head as dirt brown. Nice retention and nice lacing. The beer itself is black.

S: I thought this smelled like a candy cane dipped in salsa, plus a little bit of ethanol. Not exactly what I consider pleasant.

T: Some sourness up front and then a lot of the chile at the finish. Some cinnamon and chocolate in there as well, but not as noticeable. I recently had the bourbon county stout with ancho chiles and thought that it had a similar profile to this beer, but found the bourbon county to be much more rounded, and interesting.

M: Nice viscosity, but a bit overcarbonated for my liking.

D. Fine. I enjoyed trying this beer, but would not search it out again.

3.26/5  rDev -28.8%

The issue comes down to taste with this beer. Huna, DBH just doesnt matter. It takes like im drinking a cinnamon sugar milkshake with some chilies thrown in.

3.35/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Hunaphu's. After hating the MZ I got, I was dreading this, but I can say easily that this one is much better.

A- Motor oil black and a thin but heavy brownie-batter head. Sticks to the side of the glass. This stuff is thick.

S- Deep, impenatrable darkness. Intense dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate. A very nice nose.

T- Very sweet- reminds me a little of Dark Lord and of course of MZ. However, the chili spice comes out on the finish and does a pretty good job cutting through the stout. I like it. A little goes a long way, but I like the mild heat that builds. The cinnamon is nice on the tongue, makes it taste a bit like graham crackers.

M- Thick, syrupy, and too sweet. The chile is delightful though and brings this one along, saving it from being too much. Carbonation is too low for my tastes.

O- 2oz is all you need. Chile is nice- saves the beer from being the trainwreck that MZ is. I'd have this one again. Not worth trading an arm and a leg for, but the uniqueness makes this worth seeking out. YMMV.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing