Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
THECPJ

Delaware

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Reviewed from notes: Thanks goes out to BeerThursdays for th bottle share.

appearance: dark brown black with minimal mocha head

smell: chocolate, vanilla, sweet, malts,

taste: chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body,

overall: probably the best Cigar City beer I've had to date. So glad to finally try this elusive beer.

Cheers,
The CPJ

10-17-2011 19:53:26 | More by THECPJ
jdense

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Tasted at the Slaintemehor animal call tastefest 7.23.2010.

One finger dark tan head, medium dissipation with some lacing. Dark brown body, opaque, no visible carbonation. One of the most difficult to deconstruct noses in a beer I've ever had, the chiles were so nuanced compared to most chile beers that you really need to concentrate to appreciate in the nose, with the cocoa nibs providing some spicy, not sweet, nuances, and a big noble pine hop hit on the back end. One great smelling beer. Taste mirror the nose's complexity and character, the interaction between the chiles and the cocoa nibs is superlative, and this is a surprisingly smooth beer, not sticky at all, and you'd never guess this is an 11% ABV beer. I haven't been a fan of the Cigar City hype, but this beer is certainly worth the hype. One of the best Imperial Stouts I've had, would certainly seek this out again. Thanks to the awesome hannont for providing this gem. Highly recommended.

07-30-2010 23:39:30 | More by jdense
Spider889

4.34/5  rDev -5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally have a bottle of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout to myself. Great way to end a bad day. Thanks so much Matt!

I really want to try this super fresh now. March 2013 release, tons of fudge and dark chocolate up front. Sweet with a hint of chiles. Subtle red wine-like grapiness on the back palate. The finish is all cocoa powder. Dense and heavy in the best ways. The pour was almost the best part: thick, it nearly oozes into my glass and I fear a head is impossible. Then, slowly, the deepest mahogany foam cascades vertically to allow an impressive cap to such a big stout. Hell. Yes.

01-04-2014 01:56:25 | More by Spider889
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

750Ml bottle poured into a wine glass 2011 vintage.

Pours a very dark black with a small very dark brown but thin head. Nose is chocolate, spicy and coffee.

Wow, taste is awesome the spiciness is all over the place and there is tasty chocolate flavor that's really unique with the peppers. Very surprised this is much better than other hyped stouts.

07-02-2011 19:37:25 | More by kingcrowing
ejyoung

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Received in a BIF and opened for a AZ BA tasting. 2010 vintage.

Pours super dark (basically black) with a chocolate colored head. Nice lacing and coating left behind in the glass. Looks thick.

Smelled of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla, coffee and a hint of chili. Intriguing.

This was a very unique tasting stout. Chocolate and roasted coffee are clearly present, but the additional ingredients really make this shine. Nice cinnamon and vanilla taste with a bite of chili heat in the finish.

Thick, full bodied stout that thoroughly coats the mouth. Nice amount of carbonation.

Really enjoyed getting to try this beer, but was glad to have friends to share it with. Definitely couldn't have put this down alone due to how full and intense it is.

03-19-2011 22:55:42 | More by ejyoung
claspada

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Adding 2011 version, sampled 1/28/11 with mrand01 courtesy of whartontallboy.

All be below stand true except the chillies and cinnamon were slightly more predominant, balancing the sweet chocolate sludgy base beer. So for my money, I liked the fresher example more. A world class beer regardless, but I would recommend drinking sooner rather than later if you have any.

2010 Version courtesy of mgoblue5743 from an in-person trade.

Pours the most viscous black oily looking sludge I have ever seen come out of a bottle of beer to date. The head is the darker brown I have ever seen, period. As it slowly dissipates you get a stupid amount of soapy dark brown lacing.

Aromas are off the charts. It begins with a melange of dark bitter cocoa and lighter sweet milk chocolate. Second whiff I get various kings of spices that initially overwhelm my nostrils, highlighted by cinnamon and mild chilies. Wow this is crazy... as it warms a little more I get the vanilla beans and some stronger molasses.

The tastes begin with a nice milk chocolate sweetness up-front then mixed with loads of dark chocolate and lesser vanilla, followed by some growing espresso bitterness and spice (chilies and cinnamon) on the back end. Spices were much more apparent on the nose than in the flavor but are still definitely there. Roasted bitterness becomes slightly burdensome on the palate as it warms, but I am nit-picking at this point.

The mouthfeel is very thick and chewy on the tongue. The carbonation is minimal which helps to enhance the creaminess on palate. Flavors linger on the palate forever, initially you never want this to end and luckily it doesn't for long after you sample. As with the flavor, the heft and complexity of this beer weighs on you as you consume further.

Overall, this was fantastic. Leaps and bounds above Marshall Zhukov. Not a drop of alcohol. So many different flavors dancing on the tongue on palate. Not an everyday beer by any means, one to sip and savor because of it's super crazy complex flavor profile and amazing viscosity. Probably better consumed with a friend or two (although I enjoyed mine solo for my first experience, albiet over a 2 night period).

12-15-2011 00:55:23 | More by claspada
mulder1010

Australia

750 ML poured into a Bruery Tulip
Thanks to readbaron for the bottle 2011 version
Thanks to Nicks6217 for sharing the 2010 version in Los Angeles

A-- Poured dark, thick, oily and ominious black. Gorgeous reverse cascading dark leather head that was one finger in height. Looked like a dark mocha. No lacing but left dark residue all through the glass. Beautiful!!

S-- Mexican chocolate, bakers chocolate marshmallow, cinnamon, and vanilla. No hints of the ABV in the nose.

T-- Chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and marshmallow. Sweet but dry.

M-- Lack of Chile's was disappointing. Got faint Chilie's in the 2010 version but none in the 2011 version. This was dry and left me thinking this was a Mexican smore.

O-- Impressive. Easy to drink and savor. Excellent hidden ABV. Prefered the 2010 version as the Chile gave a very nice twist to it. The 2011 tasted more like Zhukov with more character. One of the best beers I have had this year.

08-08-2011 15:12:34 | More by mulder1010
harrymel

Washington

Vintage 2011

A: Pours obviously quite thick - crude oil. Broken, dark mocha foam coats the surface and then dissipates nearly immediately. No residual foam. No lacing. The beer coats the walls of the glass and tans the window.

S: Plenty of vanilla. Plenty of earthy and spicy chiles. The ancho chiles are more evident than the pasilla's, but nonetheless, the chile is there. Anise and licorice notes are also there, and IMO, more prominent than the cocoa.

T: Dark chocolate truffles laced with salt, chile and vanilla. Decadent. Very sweet and sticky. The beer is not particularly complex, but the ingredients are fairly balanced in here. I've read that the chiles are the fastest dying aspect of the beer - I'll buy that. The cocoa is at the forefront of the beer, but the chiles offer the counter to the sweetness albeit subtly. The vanilla flourishes in the ol factory aspect of the palate. There's bitterness which is predominated by the malts IMO.

M: Sticky, tacky, viscous, chewy. I really can't use enough adjectives to describe how thick and alive this beer feels. The thickness is only interrupted by the fine, sharp carbonation. There's no visual indication that this beer has carbonation, but the feel is spot on the for the style. Finish is dry and mouth watering.

O: There's no question this is a fantastic beer. Does it live up to the hype? Almost. A little more from the chiles and I would say yes. I can't see the benefit of aging this in barrels. The bottle size is a bit too much for one, but would be great for four folks as a digestif.

05-13-2011 06:12:04 | More by harrymel
Slatetank

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

I enjoyed this bottle with tenderbranson courtesy of weeare138 -thanks for the chance to taste this beauty, Mike! poured cellar temp into a tulip.

A deep fudge brown color with creamy tan cap, no light passes through. The retention is good and lace sticks well, very small bead. This is an attractive beer to say the least. The smell is multidimensional, lots of creamy malt, caramel, cocoa and spice which adds a mild vanilla bean note with hints of alcohol in the aroma. The feel is light spice, full body with moderately carbonated presence, the spice notes come forward in the middle and the finish is semi-sweet.

The taste of this is broad, lots of complex spice and malt qualities at play here. The taste of the dark malt is slightly cococa enhanced and seems nutty,but that my just be the earthy vanilla presence. The slight spice distracts from the alcohol in the flavor and gives a nice complimentary accent to the caramel malt flavor and roasted notes round out the big stout. The spicing really adds to this beer, it feels like one I would want to enjoy in the winter or the holidays, lots of festive flavors in the mix which work so well with the base stout. The pepper is mild but this adds to the drinkability for me with the nutty earthy and cinnamon quality making for a unique brew and highly drinkable stout.

12-14-2010 15:18:35 | More by Slatetank
TK5150

Maine

2010 bottle.

A- Pours absolutely black with a one and a half finger dark brown/reddish hued head. The head is made up of nice, tightly knit, tiny bubbles. This beer literally stains the glass when swirled it is so dark. Excellent lacing and alcohol legs. Easily the darkest beer and darkest head I have ever seen. The best looking beer I have ever seen, as a matter of fact. For those of you who did not give this a 5 for appearance, I have no idea what you're thinking.

S- Brown sugar, molasses, some vanilla, cinnamon, and spiciness from the chiles and alcohol. Dark malts take a back seat. No astonishingly apparent chocolate smell here. Smells nice.

T- Cocoa nibs dominate this beer with an excellent chocolate flavor. The chiles are also apparent, but are kept in check. The chiles also bring a little tartness to the table. Not really picking up much of the other boat-load of ingredients in this beer though. The chocolate added to this beer is done in a very classy way, and is very enjoyable, unlike some beers I've had (cough, southern tier choklat, cough, southern tier mokah, cough, cough).

M- The thickest beer I have had in a long time, maybe the thickest ever. Literally like drinking a milkshake. Very heavy. The light tartness makes this feel slightly thinner on the back-end and during the swallow. Light carbonation, but just enough. Outstanding mouthfeel - easily one of the best I have ever had.

D- This beer has so much weight to it that splitting this with a friend is the way to go. I drank about 2/3's of the bottle and that was plenty even though this was an outstanding beer.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had in a while. Would have liked to see more complexity in the taste, though. Still, great stuff that I will definitely trade for again.

02-05-2011 19:52:38 | More by TK5150
Vdubb86

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Served in a tasting glass due to the horror that was the Hunahpu distruction.

Thanks to TMoney2591 for getting and destroying the bottle

This beer pours a a very viscous dark matter with a brown foam on the surface. The smell is very much a bourbon, coffee and soy sauce smell. Some serious chocolate smell as well. The taste is rather nice and complex. The flavors are smoke, oak, bourbon, bit of salt and rum. This is odd on the tongue, hard to explain. Not bad. The drinkability is very nice. Overall pleasant and a shame most of it hit the floor.

I was able to re-review this beer with the assistance of Florida9
2/26/11
Many of the same flavors came though, but when there was actually carbonation there was actually a greater depth to all of the flavors. There was ancho chiles in the background of the flavor and it was a damn fine beer. The sweet peppery flavor was really nice. So I'm bumping up the rating accordingly to compensate for what I now believe is a fair shake of this beer.

11-13-2010 23:23:24 | More by Vdubb86
drabmuh

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Received this bottle in a trade -- thanks. Poured into a snifter. Beer is noticably thick as I pour, leaves legs on the sides of the glass. Beer is pitch black, black black. You can't see through it at the corners to through the thinnest part of the beer. Its just not happening. Forms a brown head, overall thin of smallish to medium sized bubbles and it leaves some lacing on the glass - although I think the alcohol is hindering the lacing overall.

The aroma is surprisingly spicy. I can get some alcohol, very slight, but I can definitely smell some chilis. This makes me nervous slightly but not too. The more I smell the more subtle characters of sweetness and a slight chocolatey bitterness come through. Smells good.

Beer is full bodied in the mouth. There is not a spicy / chile flavor as I was expecting in the beer after the initial aroma. There is a lot of roast in the back of the palate and nice carbonation / connectivity on the palate. There is some sweetness up front and nice chocolate based / roast based bitterness on the trailing end. No aftertaste to note and drinkability is high. I enjoyed it. It was complicated and some of the complexity is lost by the size but overall a very good stout.

04-19-2010 15:47:05 | More by drabmuh
kscaldef

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

A: The definition of a motor oil pour. I was mildly shocked to see the single layer of mocha bubbles that did rise at the end, not to last for even as long as it took to walk with my glass to a chair.

S: Lots of chocolate, backed by a mix of green and dried chilis. Cinnamon takes a distant back seat.

T: Wow... like dark drinking chocolate with a shot of strong espresso added. Chili comes in, but just faintly. Vanilla is also present, but without much sweetness it stays in the background.

M: Low carbonation. Full-bodied, but not as thick as the appearance would suggest. Lingers very nicely, but the residual sweetness is low enough to keep it from becoming cloying.

O: I've had a couple bad experiences with aged versions of this beer (unpleasant green pepper aromas), but this one redeems it completely in my eyes. An extravagant beers, but not so overwhelming that I couldn't easily drink the whole bottle. I do think this experience puts this beer firmly in the "drink fresh" category for me, though. (This bottle has been in my refrigerator since my buddy brought it home from Hunahpu Day.)

11-15-2011 02:08:07 | More by kscaldef
BTPete

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle shared with a BA buddy.

A: Dark black with a very viscous look. A bigger head than I am used to with some of the big cigar city stouts. Nice 1 cm dirty dark brown head.

S: Smells really strongly of spice and strong dark malt. There is a hint of booze in the nose.

T: Really surprised at the flavor of this one. Really robust. I gather dark burnt flavor up front with some cocoa and coffee hints. The middle and end remind me of vanilla and I got the spiciness at the end. I'm going to guess that was the cinnamon. It wasn't as spicy as I was thinking it would be from the chiles.

M: Like I had said, more carbonation than I was used to but it was really good full bodied beer.

D: A sipper and glad it was shared. On top of being 11.5%, the robustness of the flavor could get overwhelming but an excellent beer regardless, I just would try drinking a ton of it.

11-01-2010 18:03:31 | More by BTPete
TulipSnifter

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance: It's dark as hell. As my husband was pouring, I thought it looked like oil going into my Portsmouth Snifter. The head looks deceptively like chocolate mousse. When my husband poured the last few drops, I swear it looked like chocolate syrup on chocolate mousse.
Smell: This surprisingly didn't sizzle my nose hairs with a strong alcohol smell like I had expected. I smell chocolate and vanilla.
Taste: I taste chili and chocolate.
Mouthfeel: This feels a little thick.
Drinkability: I think this is a great beer to sip and to be enjoyed... Very slowly.

11-08-2010 00:41:07 | More by TulipSnifter
Shaw

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer at the Cock & Bull Pub's Cigar City night.

It's black, of course, with a foamy dark brown head.

It smells of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is very chocolaty. With the creamy body it's very much like a beer-chocolate milkshake. But that's not all. There is also a nice chili spice. It's not hot; instead the beer has just a twang of heat. Very good. There is no hint of the high alcohol level, so beware.

The body is super-creamy. It's the creamiest beer I can remember.

An excellent beer. It's one of Cigar City's best, and that's saying a lot.

12-17-2009 04:33:32 | More by Shaw
Rbald42

Montana

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Split this with my man Garchooga during his recent visit.

A- Pitch black, viscous, and heavy as hell. No light penetrates this one. 2 finger chocolatey head. Very Immense looking

S- Just incredible, loads of sweet chocolate followed by dark sweet fruit and hints of pepper spice.Detect some vanilla and caramel, dark licorice, and malted milkballs.

T- Very complex, initial bitter and sweet chocolate flavors, roasted malt and toast, followed by more sweetness and pepper-heat as the beer warms

M- Thick, Thick, Thick, and coats all the way down. A bit syrupy for my taste, but delicious.

D- Split this with a few friends, I woke up on the couch where I drank this one. After this and a few homebrews I was fucked up! It became a bit difficult to finish as we delved deeper into the bottle and the beer warmed up. Glad I got to try this one.

07-01-2010 04:21:07 | More by Rbald42
pmccallum86

4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Got this in a trade with PALMEJ1, thanks!

Appearance is spectacular, pours a ultra dark midnight black color with a huge cocoa colored head.

Big and rich smell, huge roasted malts with a sweet licorice and burnt sugar smell in the back. So rich and complex in the nose, I cannot wait any longer to try it.

Wow! This is unlike any other double stout I have come across. Bitter dark chocolate up front with a spicy pepper component in the back. So rich and complex, very big and thick in the mouth as well. One of the more interesting beers I have had.

Mouthfeel is thick and viscous with a bitter flavor lingering on the tongue.

Overall a great beer, glad I got the chance to try it.

04-25-2010 02:47:55 | More by pmccallum86
madvermin

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

2011 Hunahpu, reviewed from notes taken back in December 2013.

A: Looks like black. Head slowly formed, the way a nitro beer would after the pour. Head was dark brown and laced the glass.

S: Dark chocolate up front, with coffee hints (which are slightly acidic). Fruity aroma is mainly pomegranate.

T: Sweet, with bitter chocolate, moving cleanly into a slightly coffee flavor mixed with a slightly chile skin type stunted vegetal taste. Smoothly spicy aftertaste, mixed with chocolate and sour coffee taste to end.

M: Creamy but not too thick. Flows easily without getting too overwhelming. Slightly acrid, but has a great smooth finish.

O: Excellent in all aspects, especially mouthfeel. Was easy to drink and had enough tastes to keep each sip fresh.

04-21-2014 08:34:26 | More by madvermin
PeprSprYoFace

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Had this a couple times now. Finally reviewing my own bottle.

Pours a motor oil black. No head or lacing.

Aroma has all sorts of of stuff goin on. I smell the chillis, coffee, chocolate, a little soy sauce. Smells great.

Tastes almost like it smells. Chillis are less in the taste which is good. More chocolate and roast grains. A little touch of salt. Tons of coffee. What a good beer.

Mouthfeel is a little heavy but good. Good carb.

Overall there are other stouts I think deserve to be higher on the top 100 but this one deserves somewhere in there.

06-04-2010 06:34:36 | More by PeprSprYoFace
n2185

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A: pours black with a finger of dark tan head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S. Roasted malts with lots of chocolate, chile, cinnamon, and vanilla. Smells amazing.

T: similar to the aroma, tons of chocolate, cinnamon, chiles, vanilla, smoke, and roasted malts.

M: thick body with low carbonation, this beer is nice and creamy.

O: a great beer, overall. I love the combination of chocolate and spice.

04-12-2012 01:05:27 | More by n2185
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottle courtesy of JM03. You went too f*cking far bro!

Holy sh*t. I've poured some thick and vicious stouts, but this was scary. Used motor oil from an 86' Suburban. Head like a chocolate milkshake.

Cocoa aroma, chocolate, slight coffee, chili back end. Roast and evil.

Chocolate milkshake. Slight chili taste back of the throat, huge roast. Some oak and vanilla. There's a lot of flavors fighting for attention here.

Thick, full and coating mouthfeel. Epic.

I feel guilty drinking this because the person that sent it likely didn't save a bottle for himself... he deserves it.

12-05-2011 02:51:21 | More by EgadBananas
jegross2

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Reviewing the infamous Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing. Scott's eagle eye saw this beer was on tap within 10 minutes after arriving within the gates of Dark Lord Day gates. We threw down our Tocobaga Red and Blueberry Muffin Brown and dashed for the line just before everyone else did. It was totally worth it.
Score: 95

10 oz tap pour served in a plastic cup and enjoyed at Dark Lord Day (04/28/12) around 10:30 AM. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: The beer is a very deep brown, almost black color. There's some dark chocolaty brown highlights atop the glass when held up to light. Given the "glassware" this beer is served it, it was hard to determine lacing or retention. Basically, the beer looked like motor oil. I plan to crack a bottle of this in the future and will have to revise the score if the appearance is anything more impressive when served in proper glassware out of a bottle and not at a festival. At Dark Lord Day, perhaps because of early morning stout fatigue, this just looked like a pretty good stout (as opposed to something visually impressive). 4/5

Smell: Chocolate and cocoa, cherry, cinnamon, chili peppers and coffee. A little vanilla bean and tobacco. Hint of dark fruit. Nice aromatic medley of spice here. 4.25/5

Taste: Less heat on the tongue than Mexican Cake, but there is still plenty of spice and flavor. Chilli pepper, milk chocolate and a little coffee. Only light heat prickle on the midpalate and back of tongue. Muted vanilla. Plenty of cinnamon throughout. Sweet fig upfront. Layering chilli heat prickliness on the palate. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, low carbonation. Slightly sweet and creamy mouthfeel. 4.5/5

Overall: Absolutely outstanding imperial stout to have the pleasure to sip and enjoy in line for the Three Floyds' Brewpub. There is a real nice spice and chocolate flavor, and I can see why this beer is so sought after. Hunahpu is much better than Mexican Cake. We also got a glass of the Apple Brandy Zhukov right after the Hunahpu kicked, and that beer absolutely blows this one out of the water.

Recommendation: Seek this beer out unless you are chilli flavor averse. There is less heat than there was with Mexican Cake, but more flavor, synergy and balance.

Pairings: Gingerbread cookies

Cost: $25 for a 750 ml bottle or $10 for a 10 oz pour at Dark Lord Day.

05-05-2012 23:08:09 | More by jegross2
Yesac

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Solid jet oil black pour, small tan cascading brown head.

S- dark fruits, slight vanilla bean, chocolate malt some java.. and alcohol.

T- Right along with smell, dark fruits on the nose.. rich dark chocolate, vanilla bean, slight cinnimon spice. Alcohol very well hidden. Delicious.

M- Rich full body, low carbonation, great taste all around on the palate.

D- Complex flavors, great mouthfeel, well hidden ABV makes this one an easy drinking brew.

09-05-2010 19:22:17 | More by Yesac
Urbancaver

2010 bottle

Pours pitch black. A bit of dark brown head. Vry thick. I can smell the peppery goodness right away off the pour. Smells so very very peppery. Tastes sweet and dry at the same time. A good amount of cocoa on the tongue. The pepper melds nicely with the cocoa and roasted malts. The spice is a bit heavy on the nose but blends well on the tongue. Leaves my mouth a bit dry but fairly drinkable for the percentage. A definitely unique and interest brew

02-26-2011 21:43:40 | More by Urbancaver