2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial StoutHunahpu's Imperial Stout

Ratings: 2054

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,054 | Reviews: 594 | Show All Ratings:
fiver29

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle shared by Josh. Thanks! I have been wanting to try this one. Pours oily thick black with dark tan head. Aroma is dark roast, cinnamon, spicy pepper, some chocolate, and coffee. Dense mouthfeel. This beer coats the glass its so thick. Flavors follow the nose and meld together perfectly. There is a touch of heat that I sense in the back of the throat, but its not overpowering. The pepper flavor I think is a real nice touch with the cinnamon and vanilla flavors that tickle my taste buds. Great stuff. More please!!

03-28-2010 14:18:02 | More by fiver29
HeyItsChili

China

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Pours so syrupy-sticky that it created a bubble between the bottle opening and the edge of my glass. The beer continues to coat the inside of the glass like wallpaper as I drink it. Pours black-brown with little noticeable velvety dark brown head.
S - Sharp chocolaty goodness, but doesn't quite match the intensity and variety of the flavor profile.
T - The flavor starts out as bitter dark chocolate, then softens a bit with a lot of cocoa flavor. The vanilla bean is sharp and complementary, and blends well with a little heat from the chili that seems to reemerge with the lingering alcohol finish marked with a tinge of charcoal. I've enjoyed numerous imperial stouts, but none I've ever enjoyed had such a startlingly flavorful profile while maintaining a balance.
M - Velvety, viscous, and perfect.

03-27-2010 19:19:45 | More by HeyItsChili
AWolf

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

I got to share a bottle of this among some friends the other night, as usual a thousand thank you's to hayes for hooking me up with yet another great beer.

We were concerned a little by the bottling, it had leaked just a bit (this was lucky for me however, hayes probably wouldn't have wanted to drink it so soon otherwise!). Once it was opened we were all impressed by the level of beer in the bottle, filled to the absolute brim - this probably explains the leakage.

I have to admit when we poured it I was initially worried we lost carbonation because no head was forming. After it was pured, however, the head accumulated quickly - this may be the darkest head of any beer I've had. It's dark. Really really dark. The head dissipates fairly quickly leaving a ring around the edges of the glass. And the beer itself is completely opaque, I'm getting excited.

Smells very strongly of super rich chocolate (must be the nibs) but also some very malty and roasty smells. The chocolate theme continues with the taste along with more sweet goodness - some vanilla and others flavors I can't place create a wonderful and balanced beer. The mouthfeel is tremendous as well - awesomely thick. Even after I swallow I can taste this beer for a good while as the coating remains. This is everything I look for in a stout and one of my favorite beers now - here's to hoping they make it again!

03-26-2010 21:36:49 | More by AWolf
rhinos00

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Shared this beer with pecorasc and boothbeer. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Probably the most impressive beer I have ever seen in my beer drinking life. Produced a finger and halfs width of vibrant, espresso colored head. With every swirl the beer seemed to produce more and more head. Poured out like motor oil. So thick that it stained the glass brown. Flat out beautiful.

S- Restrained vanilla sweetness upfront. Sweet, chocolate malts with an undertone of cocoa and faint notes of chile...ever so slight, peppery attribute. Not as intense and bold as I was expecting, but still quite nice.

T- The initial flavor is quite lackluster. A little bit a raw cocoa and slight chile flavor is detectable upfront. Vanilla comes in midway through and starts to change the beer for an extraordinary finish. Transitions into a cornucopia of vanilla, chocolate malts, coffee beans, and the perfect amount of roastedness. The finish more than makes up for the beginning.

M- This is what I'm talking about. Thick, viscous...truly like motor oil. Coats the palate very well and leaves a wonderful sticky residue on the lips. Little carbonation.

D- For a beer of this size, this drinks incredibly well. I had no problem finish my sample and could have easily gone for more.

Overall, haven't been impressed with CCB to say the least. However, this beer has given me some hope. If they can stay on par with this type of quality, then I might start trading for their beer again. Recommended.

03-24-2010 14:23:36 | More by rhinos00
mondegreen

Georgia

4.78/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured into a DFH Signature Glass. Bottle shared with a friend.

A: Pouring this beer, I felt like I was peering into Satan's soul. It really is that dark. Rising from the fiery pit, I saw a dark brown head. The darkest I have ever seen. It sank quickly, leaving a rim around my glass. Holding the beer up to the light, there are no highlights. No garnet, not reflections, nothing. There is no escaping this darkness.

S: I got my first whiff while pouring. I am intrigued. Submerging my nose into the rim of my glass, I breathe deeply. This beer smells fantastic. The roasted stout flavor lies in perfect balance with sweet and spicy flavors. A wonderful aroma.

T: Much as the nose suggests, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It has the backbone of a traditional Imperial Stout, but with the essence of the cacao, chilies, and vanilla all working together. The sweet chocolate dances on my tongue while the spicy chilies light the back of my throat. The vanilla helps smooth the whole experience out. This is one of the most well balanced stouts I have ever tasted.

M: Thick. As heavy as can be. The beer needs the body, though, as the flavors are so pronounced. It feels great rolling around my tongue.

D: I could drink as much as I can afford. This is my first Cigar City beer, and I can tell someone put alot of effort into the quality of this brew. I hope they can get their distribution and production to a level that finding Cigar City beer isn't such a tough (and expensive) endeavor. Until then, I hope to try a few more of their top notch brews.

03-24-2010 03:01:16 | More by mondegreen
johnmichaelsen

4.05/5  rDev -11%

Many thanks to the ever generous Dyan for the opportunity to try this tonight.

The beer pours an impressive looking, motor oil black color with pretty good head retetion, but with considerable sticky lacing all around. The head on this beer is a very rich, cocoa/coffee color that dies down fairly quickly. The nose on this beer is huge and impressive, with consdirable coffee, cherry, dark chocolate and a hint of licorise. On the palate, the coffee and dark chocolate really dominate this beer, and push aside pretty much everything else. While the mouthfeel is impressive, this beer is very monolithic, with the flavor profile completely dominated by the chocolate and coffee flavors. There is a hint of leather in the finish, which helps to counter the sweetness in this beer, but the sweetness, noticeable alcohol and slight licorise really detract from this beer's drinkability .

This is clearly a fine beer, but it just struck me as a bit disjointed and just too one dimensionable. The beer has a hugely impressive mouthfeel, with a mouthfilling, pillowy, very soft and long drawn out finish. Still, one glass was all I could do, and I can't imagine drinking an entire bottle of this at a sitting. Nevertheless, this is still a very fine, well crafted beer from Cigar City.

03-24-2010 01:52:43 | More by johnmichaelsen
DefenCorps

3.65/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks are due to Karl (kfsv034) for this bottle.

The pour is seriously impressive, black with an espresso foam-colored head that recedes leaving no lace. The color of this beer made me smile, the last beer earning such an honor being Black Tuesday.
The nose is just excellent. Heavenly with a heavily roasted malt character along with dark chocolate, coffee and a light spice character, there's almost a molasses-like character to this. Some fruitiness is present as well. Alcohol is noticeable. The chili character is quite low, much to my liking, the combination of dark cocoa character and the chili and roast is quite excellent.

I've noticed that there's a certain offset between what my nose experiences and what my palate does, and this beer is just another data point confirming that. What seems balanced and complex to my nose often fails the palate test, and this is no different. Opening thick and heavy with a lot of heavily roasted malt character, there's a touch of char as well. A little anise is noticeable early, but there's a grainy, husky tannic character. Prominent cocoa character is present. Vanilla appears mid palate, with the cinnamon and chili character being low (both of which could be a cultural bias, since I use quite a fair bit of both spices in my cooking and the moderate level isn't really noticeable to me). Finishing with a boozy sweetness, the mouthfeel is definitely flabby, not well integrated at all, quite disjointed, in fact. Full in body with medium-low level of carbonation, this isn't my cup of tea. It's not drinkable in large quantities, and doesn't strike me as a particularly well-crafted beer. I drank about 6-8oz, and was quite content.

03-24-2010 01:36:48 | More by DefenCorps
alcstradamus

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Although I enjoyed them, I haven't been particularly blown away by either of the other Cigar City stouts that I have tried (110k+OT and Marshall Zhukov). Nonetheless, I have been impatiently waiting for months to get a chance to try this one, and that day is finally here.

This one pours a thick, black nightmare with a towering cascading head that is as dark and menacing as any you will ever see. Awesome. Be sure to be careful with your pouring here, or you will end up with a countertop soaked in Hunahpu overflow like I did.

The aroma starts out light up front, mostly a dusting of cocoa and some bright fruity/metallic notes. As the head dies down, the metallic element thankful disappears as well. Whew...had me worried there for a second. What appears is a nice mix of milk chocolate, faint peppery spiciness, and floral hops.

The taste big, bold, and roasty. A hefty dose of bitter dark chocolate on the front palate with a coffee bean finish. I'm not picking up very much of the peppers initially, but they leave their mark as a lingering aftertaste. Most of the flavor here is the enormous roasted malt profile.

The body here is full and there is sufficient carbonation yet not so much that it destroys the creaminess. Drinkability is OK, but this is such a huge bitter beer that splitting the bottle would be in your best interests.

Overall, I definitely really enjoyed this one. It was not as complex as I would have expected based on the treatments that the based beer received, but in the end that is OK because it is still extremely flavorful. The closest comparison I can make would be a fresh Bell's Expedition. If the Hunahpu's ages as gracefully as that beer, then it could be something quite special down the road.

UPDATE 4/27: I had a chance to try another sample of this beer and it was NOTHING like the bottle I opened. It was far more deep and complex, with big notes of cinnamon and chile pepper that were just phenomenal. There must be a lot of bottle variation in this batch, perhaps the bottles were pulled from different barrels and not blended???? Anyways...I would have rated it probably a 4.7 or higher, but until I get a bottle of my own that tastes like that I'm leaving it how it is.

03-23-2010 21:58:13 | More by alcstradamus
hayesez

Indiana

4.8/5  rDev +5.5%

Ever since I read what Cigar City was doing with this beer, I've been excited to give this one a shot - I mean, a lot of stuff is going into this beer. The label says "Malt beverage aged on Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans." Seriously, that sounds amazing! Thanks to kbutler1 for trading me a bottle - my expectations are high! The bottle arrived with just a bit of leakage at the top (even though it was packaged perfectly and taped around the cap) - a very sticky, syrupy substance. Figured I'd better crack this one open soon - wouldn't want to waste it!

Split with a few friends and spread between three different glasses. As I cracked it open, it was immediately obvious as to why the beer was leaking. The bottle was literally filled up almost to the very top. One millimeter below the opening was standing liquid...beer! Cigar City did not skimp on this guy! I carefully poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Whoa - that is an amazingly thick brew. As it stacks up in my glass, it appears that there is no carbonation...guh, disappointment...but wait! After I get the glass about halfway filled, I set it on the table and watch the upward cascade fill another third of my glass. From a vat of recycled motor oil to one of the thickest, darkest, brown heads I've ever seen, the bubbles keep multiplying as this thing nears the top of my glass - impressive. Fairly quickly it wanes, and by the time I've had three or four sips the head is merely a shadow of its former self capping the surface with a soft dark brown lid. The beer itself is a black hole allowing zero light to escape, even at the extreme edges.

Hunahpu's is chalk full of chocolate goodness. The chocolate malty smell dominates the nose at the beginning. A sweet chocolate rises through the head as well, making me think I'm about to enjoy dessert as opposed to a nightcap. No cinnamon for me but a bit of peppery spice when I try hard. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol becomes prevalent for the first time separating itself from a sweet vanilla and a bit of dark sweet fruit. A complex brew for sure that is only compromised just slightly by the alcoholic prevalence. Ok, I can't wait any longer to give this a shot.

Fudge. Sweet, chocolate fudge. It's pounded in there and is not shy. I do get a bit of the chili / peppery taste when I get the beer to settle on the back of my tongue. Again, as hard as I work to taste the cinnamon, I can't find it. The vanilla is definitely in there as well, adding yet another sweet component to Willy Wonka's wet dream. I'm very impressed by how well this is balanced. With a bunch of different flavors competing, things can easily get messy; but cigar city has done it right here. This is a thick and creamy brew that feels absolutely divine in my mouth. I rank the mouthfeel as a perfect 5, right there with Kate the Great's creaminess and the oily, thick, syrupy masterpiece of Dark Lords past.

This is a damn fine beer. As I finish my last few sips, my glass is laced with a thin grainy film left behind from this viscous beer. My upper lip sticks to the rim of my glass when I get a bit too close. Although the alcohol was prevalent on the nose, it is nearly completely masked in the drink. I'm wishing I hadn't invited so many friends over for this.

Consumed: 3/23/2010

03-23-2010 05:43:59 | More by hayesez
Mavajo

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

Finally popped open my first bottle of this bad boy, and pulled out a snifter for the occasion.

Total, utter oily black. Almost looks like sludge. The head follows suit with possibly the darkest brown head I've ever seen. Decent size to the head considering the ABV, and it retains fairly well. It settles into a ring with some filmy islands floating around after a few minutes, and then a while later finally disappears entirely. Once the head vanishes, you can begin to notice the garnett hi-lites around the edge of the glass. Make no mistake, though - this thing is completely opaque. Swishing it around coats the glass with a brown film. When it came time to clean my glass after finishing this brew, I had to fill the glass and rinse it out 3-4 times with water to get rid of the film.

The appearance perfectly sets the table for the intensity of this brew. The nose is strong with smokey notes, roasted malt, and bitter/dark chocolate. The taste brings even more to the table. Again, there's a fairly strong smokiness to this brew, but there's also other dominant notes vying for attention - roasted malts, dark chocolate, cocoa and then subtle chili powder. I must confess, I question whether I would have picked up on the chili powder notes had I not known to look for it. It's not a burn or sting, but there is an almost powdery sense of the chili there. Overall, this brew strikes a great balance in the taste and manages to show off all its different facets. The alcohol is completely and totally hidden.

The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Almost felt like it was coating my teeth. Carbonation is perfect. Great mouthfeel.

Drinkable? I suppose - but this is a heavy, intense brew. If you've got the room in your gut for it, you could drink this all night. It manages to be intense without wearing out your palate, and because the alcohol is expertly concealed, there's nothing there to set off any warning signs to slow you down. Definitely an experience.

Thanks to TheBrodie for bringing me back a few bottles from the release. You da' man.

03-22-2010 12:54:52 | More by Mavajo
Gfunk720

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +6.2%

Cracked my first bomber of Hunahpu's last night, consumed from my DFH snifter glass. I thought this beer might be contaminated at first, as there was some light seepage during shipping. Turns out it was just filled to the top, but was still good.

A- Black as night, and very oil looking. Coats the inside of the glass with a chocolate brown film. Pours a nice healthy head, probably a finger or two. The head is dark brown, with almost a ruby red tinge to it.

S- Smells of toasted malts primarily to me. Has some noticeable scents of chilli's and chocolate as well. I also get some slightly caramel aromas as well.

T- Tastes amazing. Starts with the taste of a very smooth and robust stout, transitions to a delicious chocolatey flavor, and the perfect balance of hops on the back end. Some of these chocolate beers tend to over-do it a bit, but this one is a great blend.

M- I expected this to be a lot more overpowering on the mouthfeel due to appearance. However, it is very nice and tolerable. Not too thick, and certainly not as oily as it looks in the glass.

D- Due to the very tolerable mouthfeel, the drinkability is high. The 10.5% is barely noticeable, and I housed my first glass very quickly. After I finished the bottle, I probably could have had more...

Overall, an very excellent beer and lived up to the hype IMO. A very drinkable, and well balanced RIS.

** Update** After having this beer a few more times, I really feel like it is probably one of my favoriote beers. Amazingly good, and so drinkable. If you can find some, GET IT!

03-21-2010 20:33:46 | More by Gfunk720
CrellMoset

4.47/5  rDev -1.8%

750 mL bottle courtesy of ahatcher78 - many thanks to a great trader for a huge want. Poured in to a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a wretchedly, hideously thick black, just an absolute oily morass, seething and churning through the bottle's aperture in to the tulip with a huge, viscous, violent anger. My inadvertently vigorous pour causes a finger and a half of one of the darkest-hued heads I've ever seen to rise out of this beast, a chocolatey, frothy foam, dense and milky, with fairly good retention for a beer with this many additives and of this abv%. This beer looks fierce, no doubt about it. There's no hint of surface lace, and only a thin ring of lace and a few erratic, random spots of lace avoid getting swallowed up in the body.

Aroma: Chili powder notes are evident immediately, and they add quite a lot: the smokiness of the chilis compliments the smoky, toasted malt notes, themselves suggesting dark toast, black malt, a faint kiss of char, and a good deal of smoke; the spice compliments the cocoa nibs in particular, adding a robust, earthy note to the already deep, black, fudgy, bittersweet chocolate notes; and - amazingly, beautifully - the sweetness of the chiles compliment the aforementioned, too, as it does the dark toffee, the bright, ethereal vanilla, and caramel notes. Indeed, the chilies are the star player among this for me, though it may also be that my nose is "skewed" - I've always been inordinately sensitive to spicy smells and food, though I love what's happening here. Lest I forget the cinnamon - which compliments the earth of the chilies, the sweetness of the chilies and the cocoa, and interplays in ways with the vanilla that makes me long for a sundae of some sorts.

Taste: I'll get it out of the way that I liked - but did not love - Marshal Zhukov's Stout (MZS), the base beer for Hunahpu. I thought it was incredibly dark, astringent, and indeed, too heavily toasted for me. Hunahpu's goes a long way towards assuaging most of my dislikes about that beer. First, there's way more residual sweetness in Hunahpu's, though it isn't by any means syrupy or cloying - indeed, I'd still say it's on the dry side for an imperial stout, which is a good thing, both because it keeps things from getting tired and overly-decadent, and also because it lets the supporting cast of flavors shine through. What malts do I speak of? Black chocolate truffle, huge and fudgy, bittersweet is prominent, obviously the result of the cocoa addition - yes, there were cocoa notes in MZS, but the notes here are very brownie-like. Second is a handful of nicely burned and nearly blackened toast, slightly astringent and glassy in places, but on the whole fairly nice. A few other very dark coffee notes and malt-esque fruit sugars (thick, rummy raisins perhaps, as well as a few heavy berry notes) compliment.

But as I mentioned above, sure this beer is malt heavy, but it's not sweet for the sake of sweet, which allows the remainder of the notes to shine through. Sweet chliles add a kiss of actual spice - mostly in the middle of the register, which is a nice change to the heat that you usually accompany in the finish of a beer - that actually lingers far beyond when that chemical-ish alcohol burn lingers. The vanilla is still bright, registering fairly high up, but also augments the sweet earthiness of the chili and the sweet earthiness of the cocoa/malts. And cinnamon earthiness compliments the malts while similarly contributing a spicy note that compliments the kiss of the chiles. Throughout all this, this beer maintains no hint of alcohol burn (at least, that's identifiable separate from the chili heat), no surplusage of residual sugars, and no shortage of intriguing flavors.

Mouthfeel: As thick as you'd imagine from the appearance, with tons of residual sugars - despite the heavily toasted body - and a fair amount of carbonation making for a big, smooth, creamy mess, like a melted chocolate milkshake with, well, with chiles. As the carbonation dies down a little, it gets really decadent, with everything melding very well, though I do dock the half point for it being a little too frothy and foamy for a little too long.

Drinkability: What an intriguing beer. Complexity abounds, alcohol's nowhere to be found, and this one's incredibly complex and mature for its youth. I can only imagine that barrel aging could have done further wonders for it. An impressive "limited release" debut from the new best brewery in Florida, and one I was thrilled to have the chance to try.

03-20-2010 03:52:15 | More by CrellMoset
squaremile

4.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured during a BA tasting event. Great thick mouthfeel, maybe the thickest I've ever had. Nose is vanilla, sweetness, chocolate, and some spice. Taste is more of the same with dark chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla flavors being balanced by some spicy pepper notes. Kind of like drinking a piece of dark chocolate combined with biting hot peppers. Drinkability suffers a bit just from the enormity of this beer. Very memorable.

EDIT: Had this again, review remains the same. I noticed more cocoa and pepper this time around, and there was an oil slick left around the glass on finish.

03-19-2010 06:23:54 | More by squaremile
Reagan1984

4.45/5  rDev -2.2%

I want to give a shout out to Masterski for giving me the heads up that Cigar City still had some bottles of Hunahpu's left. Very glad to have the opportunity to try this beer.

This is one thick looking beer is my first reaction. The head rises from within and is about as dark & gold as I've ever seen. Almost a metallic gold colored head. Nice retention which finally settles to a ring around the glass. There isn't classic lacing, but the beer has metallic golden legs. Swirl it around and it literally coats the inside of your glass. Shiny deep brown in color and totally opaque.

The aroma lets you know there is a great deal of complexity here. Sweet, chocolate dark roasted malt.... A touch of cinnamon and just a sense of the peppers. If I didn't know the peppers were there, I could not have pulled it out. But once you know, you can detect the aroma a touch. At certain points while drinking it I sensed vanilla, but that was definitely later as it warmed further.

A lot happening here and this is almost as sweet as Dark Lord. Dark chocolate at first, roasted malt second. Then an explosion of different tastes. Each sip is a little different. After you swallow you get a slight warming from the peppers, but no spice at all. Prunes, molasses, vanilla at certain moments. The dark chocolate is probably the most consistent flavor. There is a brief moment of ABV, but not hit at all. Very complex.

The body is about as thick as I've seen. Just shy of syrup. Again, I mention the coating ability of this beer. Smooth until the peppers hit and provide a little tickle in your throat.

Grab at least two friends to try and kill this bottle. A slow sipper and one that you should enjoy in conservative quantities. I really enjoyed this, but if it had just a touch more vanilla I think it would be off the charts. The body on this is amazing.

03-19-2010 02:01:40 | More by Reagan1984
FringeBeers

New Hampshire

4.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally showed up at my house from a buddy in FL.

An inky blackness to the brew with a nice tannish head. Great lacing down the side of the glass. Reminded me of used motor oil.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a bit of spiciness from the peppers.

This was an amazing brew and a good way to start my ratings here on BA. Nice chocolate flavor up front. Coffee and vanilla follow suit and a bit of spice right at the end. Just enough to not overpower the beer or taint the aftertaste. This is my favorite beer of 2010 so far.

A nice carbonation to the brew and smooth as velvet, just lovely.

This is an amazing beer that I easily could have had more of, but price and rarity make it a bit hard to just drink every bottle i have down. Plus I want to see how it ages.

03-17-2010 03:10:18 | More by FringeBeers
markwise

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%

Wow. When you look up complex in the beer dictionary, this beer should be the first entry. Holy moly, where to begin. Pours black with a thin dark head. Aroma is cocoa, some peppers, cinnamon, earth, alcohol, malt, chocolate, coffee, and spice. Flavor does not disappoint, either: cocoa, coffee, cinnamon, cocoa, tobacco, peppery chilies, vanilla, spice, and complexity. Lots of yellow lace swirls around this teeming dervish of flavor. Deep, complex, earthy, and robust. Liquid awesome in a glass.

02-12-2009 22:33:01 | More by markwise
Kiefdog

4.58/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle courtesy of JRedner in November, 2008. Pours a murky dark black color with a thick tan head that settles slowly. Aroma is strongly of dark chocolate, cocoa, peppers, dark ripe fruit, some hints of coffee, roasted malt and toffee. Flavor is amazingly complex with notes of dark ripe fruit, dark chocolate, roasted malts, chilis, coffee, toffee, pepper, caramel. There is a lot going on in this beer. Full body with a lingering sweet malty toffee finish. The acclaim is well deserved as this is an amazing beer.

01-23-2009 23:53:56 | More by Kiefdog
dayvinn87

4.28/5  rDev -5.9%

I thought it was a very good stout (obviously you don't reach the heights that this beer has reached on hype alone) but the chile spice is something I could do without. So, that is just a personal preference thing. I would certainly drink it but I would prefer something like a Zhukov that doesn't have the same spice to it.

I would recommend this beer any day. It really is something special.

09-01-2013 01:21:27 | More by dayvinn87
madnismo

4.86/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Huna Day at CCB 2014.
I never really cared for Huna, I always used it to trade but damn 2014 huna is amazing. Loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate, chocolate and spice on the nose. The flavor has loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate and spice with a hint of heat from the chilies. Its like drinking a chocolate gingerbread cookie that's been dipped in chocolate. Well done CCB on this years Huna.

04-03-2013 02:43:32 | More by madnismo
WillCarrera

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On-tap at Hunahpu Day 2013.

A- Pours pitch black, is very thick looking, even in a crappy plastic cup it produces a really nice dark, creamy mocha head, which leaves some thick lacing.

S- Great aroma of rich dark chocolate, espresso, roasted grain, cocoa powder, with cinnamon and a subtle spiciness.

T- As in the aroma, there are layers and layers of dark chocolate, chocolate cake, and cocoa powder. Also a nice amount of espresso and roasted grain, with a dry roasty finish that leaves lingering flavors of chocolate. The cinnamon is more noticeable than the chilis, but both are relatively subtle and add a great complexity without overwhelming the beer. The flavors are highly complex, delicious and also well-balanced.

M- Full-bodied, super thick, creamy and rich, the booze provides a bit of warmth but is mostly invisible.

O- I'm so glad I have almost a case of this. It's a delicious, complex, thoroughly-enjoyable beer, this can easily hold its own with the best stouts around.

03-12-2013 23:34:22 | More by WillCarrera
augustg

4.96/5  rDev +9%

Just on my way back from the 2013 event and was lucky enough to have this on an unlimited tap. After having the 11 and 12 I knew this was one of my all time favorites. The 2013 did not disappoint. Pours a deep brown/black with a thick brown/red velvet head. Smells of vanilla, marshmallow, cinnamon, chili, chocolate and a little roast. Spices come through first on the taste then mellows into a nice caramel vanilla with a bit of burnt cacao. Fantastic overall and it seems to get better every year.

Thanks CCB for making great beer! See you in 2014.

03-11-2013 17:32:06 | More by augustg
BrbnBarlAgdBil

4.93/5  rDev +8.4%

Just attended the festival this past weekend and it was worth the hype. I had the opportunity to try a 2011 at the event and most everyone I spoke with said that this years batch is just phenomenal. The beer is darker than anything I have ever had before and the subtle notes of chili are apparent along with the dark coffee taste. I am extremely thankful that I brought enough home with me to enjoy one every couple of months.

03-10-2013 20:05:40 | More by BrbnBarlAgdBil
jgurley

4.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I had this in the Cigar City Tasting Room. Great place, great experience, fine beer. Dark, solid black with extremely dark brown thin head. Sweet caramely smell. Full of different flavors with so much going on it's near indescribable. Bitter cocoa powder, thick dark chocolate, vanilla, some dark cherry and spicy notes with lots of booziness. Oily, thick mouthfeel and bitter but pleasant finish. This is an outstanding, albeit one and done type beer. I recommend the beer and HIGHLY recommend the Cigar City Tasting Room experience.

02-20-2013 01:57:32 | More by jgurley
Googs

4.85/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap at Barcade in NYC. Very excited to finally have this acclaimed brew from one of my favorite breweries. Thanks CCB for getting it up to us and we're dying for more of your insane genius!

A: Thick, jet black body with a generous espresso head that dissipates somewhat quickly. Lacing on this beer is nuts and really sticks to the glass.

S: Robust dark, roasted cocoa. Woah. Some vanilla, chillies and cinnamon in the background.

T: Heavy roasted and dark malts. Then those cacao nibs become very apparent with the bittersweet chocolate taste, followed by sweet vanilla, and ending with a little hint of cinnamon and chillies. I'm getting some alcohol heat, but really not that much at all for the 11% ABV.

M: A medium body with not much carbonation. Thick and syrupy but not overwhelmingly so. Almost deadly smooth. Lingering flavors on the palate are the semi-sweet chocolate and a bit of a burn from the chillies. Nice as fuck.

O: What an amazing and complex stout from CCB. From the hyped up and highly regarded Imperial stouts that I have tried so far(CBS, KBS etc.) this is the winner for me. Not overwhelmingly sweet, rich or crazy. The flavors work so well together in this one. I had to have two. Hunahpu is one of my favorite of this style, I'd go out of your way to get a pour or a bottle or two of this. Looking forward to one day trying the barrel aged versions

09-15-2012 02:23:23 | More by Googs
brystmar

4.33/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at Barcade Brooklyn! One of my all-time favs :D

Black, syrupy pour. Tons of lace, great retention. Spicy aroma isn't as strong as I'd like; peppers come through with chocolate but not much more.

Huge surge of chocolate up front followed by the signature vanilla chile finish. Booze warms my throat as I swallow, brings more heat as it warms up. Massive body, as usual. Reinforces my belief that Huna is the best yearly RIS made in America.

09-13-2012 20:53:07 | More by brystmar