Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Ratings: 3,369 | Reviews: 715
4.4/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with StayWhatYouAre2 during our annual rare beer tasting. Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A: Thick, syrupy, nearly black pour produces a medium one finger mocha head that makes the mouth water. Decent head retention with some of the most impressive lacing I've seen, and long legs. Couldn't get much better than this.

S: Smokey with bitter dark chocolate up front, along with vanilla, bacon, and slight anise, coffee, hops and booze. I don't pick up any peppers or chili, but am not disappointed what is present in the nose.

T: The taste matches the smell quite well. Starts with dark chocolate and toffee, greeted by a smokiness and slight hoppiness, finishing with a bits of coffee, hops, and a mild booze burn. Still no ancho or pasilla chilies, but a bit of a chili burn at the back of the throat the more you drink and the more it warms. Would have liked just a bit more of the chili bite, but the lack thereof doesn't negatively effect the quality.

M: Coating and chewy; probably as close to chocolate syrup as a beer could come. Very mild carbonation, which adds to the viscosity, yet keeps it slightly lively on the palate. Slight booze burn on the back end.

D: Mildly drinkable, at best. This is a tough one to put down. Although this bottle was shared, it wasn't finished in one evening. Maybe we're wimps, but this is a definite sipper and great for sharing with at least two people. Overall Hunahpu's really delivers ... in appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel. I loved it!

4.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Great beer. Sweet, horchata meets stout + chiles.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

In the family of non-barrel aged stouts, this may be the best. Better than Abraxas in my humble opinion. Less chiles and more cinnamon/vanilla.

3.96/5  rDev -13.5%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 3 ways as a night cap to a evening of pretty moderate drinking.

Viscous, pitch black, dark brown head. Smells pretty standard stouty (roasty, coffee-y, chocolatey etc) with a little bit of smoked chiles. The core of the taste is also pretty standard big stout flavors more coffee, chocolate, roastiness, brown sugar, a little bit of dark fruit. What sets this one apart though is the subtle underlying flavors. First, the peppers are a really unique addition. My buddies said they tasted a lot of chiles but I only got them very subtly with just a tiny bit of heat that slowly builds with each sip to the point of being noticeable. Vanilla is there for a subtle smoothness, and there is a bit of spiciness (cinnamon) that you have to go searching for. Maybe I only went looking for these subtleties because they were promised on the label and would have missed them otherwise, but this wasn't a blind tasting so everything (including the label) is part of the drinking experience. Mouthfeel is creamy, and thick with a comforting warmth. With everything going on here a small 8-10 oz pour was plenty, I took my time with it and was not particularly sad to see the bottom of the glass feeling like I had thoroughly experienced the beer. Unfortunately while I can't put my finger on why while it was an interesting, unique beer it just didn't blow me away like I had hoped it would.

4.3/5  rDev -6.1%

750ml bottle from 2011

A: This beer has one of the better heads you will get out of an imperial stout; I was worried after hearing so much about the base beer being flatter than hand soap. Poured ever so black into a goblet style glass with an impressive 1/2" mocha head.

S: The smell is where you first know this isn't some run-of-the-mill double stout. There is the typical bitter coffee and dark chocolates but right away you know this is spiced up. I'm sure the chilies stood out more when fresh but they were present in the background, standing behind the vanilla sweetness and brown sugar/cinnamon spice.

T: This really stands alone. I sort of feel that cigar city teamed up with Hershey;s and a seasoning company to make this guy. There is a dominating coffee character which I didn't expect in this beer. Ok, maybe not dominant, just the first big flavor in the party. Next you get the richness and creaminess that the vanilla and cacao nibs bring to the beer. The finish is where you notice Hunahpu's spiciness, which is apparent on the back of your tongue after each taste; Its nothing distracting but enough to give the beer character and set it apart. Alcohol is hidden very well in this big stout.

M: Thick, creamy, and coating. The carbonation was huge for the style.

O: I'm very pleased that I decided to seek out a few bottles of this. Huna is a great way for a brewery to make something different and memorable without throwing it in a bourbon barrel.

This Imperial Stout has a vanilla nose, hints of cocoa. Pour is chocolate black, taste is sweet vanilla, cocoa, malty, nice medium-heavy mouthfeel. I don't detect much of the cinammon, or spicy peppers, until an aftertaste of slight peppers. A worthy Imperial Stout, I would probably have another offering!

4.85/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Huna Day at CCB 2014.
I never really cared for Huna, I always used it to trade but damn 2014 huna is amazing. Loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate, chocolate and spice on the nose. The flavor has loads of chocolate, spice, chocolate and spice with a hint of heat from the chilies. Its like drinking a chocolate gingerbread cookie that's been dipped in chocolate. Well done CCB on this years Huna.

4.92/5  rDev +7.4%

This could be one of the best beers I have had the pleasure of drinking. Really nice, really deep, really, really good. Thanks to Donn for picking this up for our outstanding tasting. There is some much depth and flavor in this beer, it is a great example of my favorite style of beer. The chiles, the cinnamon, the tastes and flavored are great. Pours a beautiful black with a nice brown dark head....overall..pure awesome!

4.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Split this bottle as a part of my friend's bachelor party.

Appearence is amazing. Jet black with two fingers of brown sedimented head.

Smell is a mix of vanilla, cocoa, and a hint of spice.

taste is a blend of cocoa, excellent dark malt, a hint of vanilla, with chilli spiciness lingering at the end. exceptionally complex and all the flavors are tasty.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Not syrupy at all as some stouts can get.

Smooth and drinkable, but the super complex flavor profile makes me very content with only 1-2 servings.

thanks again to my sister for picking this up on her trip to florida.

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

Cracked my first bomber of Hunahpu's last night, consumed from my DFH snifter glass. I thought this beer might be contaminated at first, as there was some light seepage during shipping. Turns out it was just filled to the top, but was still good.

A- Black as night, and very oil looking. Coats the inside of the glass with a chocolate brown film. Pours a nice healthy head, probably a finger or two. The head is dark brown, with almost a ruby red tinge to it.

S- Smells of toasted malts primarily to me. Has some noticeable scents of chilli's and chocolate as well. I also get some slightly caramel aromas as well.

T- Tastes amazing. Starts with the taste of a very smooth and robust stout, transitions to a delicious chocolatey flavor, and the perfect balance of hops on the back end. Some of these chocolate beers tend to over-do it a bit, but this one is a great blend.

M- I expected this to be a lot more overpowering on the mouthfeel due to appearance. However, it is very nice and tolerable. Not too thick, and certainly not as oily as it looks in the glass.

D- Due to the very tolerable mouthfeel, the drinkability is high. The 10.5% is barely noticeable, and I housed my first glass very quickly. After I finished the bottle, I probably could have had more...

Overall, an very excellent beer and lived up to the hype IMO. A very drinkable, and well balanced RIS.

** Update** After having this beer a few more times, I really feel like it is probably one of my favoriote beers. Amazingly good, and so drinkable. If you can find some, GET IT!

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

A - This beer defines black. The head alone is darker than most stouts. Absolutely amazing head retention and lacing. The best appearance I have seen on a stout yet.

S - Chocolate is the first thing that comes out to me, followed up by some dark roasted malts and coffee. Chile, and vanilla are there as well, just not as strong. Maybe even a hint of dark fruits in there as well. Very complex aroma full of a big diversity of smells.

T - Wow. You will never have a beer like this one. As complex as the aroma was, this is more. Balance of flavors completely shifts. Chile and roasted malts, coupled with chocolate and vanilla backing it up. Cinnamon, some more citrus-like fruit as well as the dark fruit (maybe dark cherry).

M - Not as thick as the pour indicates, but man this is still thick. Smooth as silk too. No alcohol noticeable, finish is sweet, slightly drying and leaves you with a sweet chocolate chile taste.

O - This is by far the best beer I have had. I am struggling to find a flaw so that this isn't straight 5's. I can't find much wrong with it. The aroma is deeply complex and perfectly balanced, the taste changes exactly as it needs to so as to keep you interested and stays just as complex and balanced. The mouthfeel is the only thing I can find a flaw in with the thin-ness of the body, but even that is still amazing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that this is a 2011 bottle?

4.17/5  rDev -9%

opened at a tasting by ejyoung.

A: pours out a thick, opaque black with a brown head. the head looks very creamy.

S: smells of dark chocolate, roasted malt, burnt sugar, dark fruits. I get a little chili in the nose with hints of vanilla.

T: lost of dark chocolate and roasted malt. burnt sugar and some coffee, with a little chili and vanilla. a good balance of chili in this beer. not overwhelming.

M: thick and creamy.

D: this is a very drinkable beer.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

HUGE thanks to chris for this, been looking for this for a while. It totally lived up to the hype.

A- Jet black with a decent dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Stains the fucking glass its so viscus.

S- Oh wow! Smells fucking incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is incredible! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is ove-rbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

3.86/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 bottle poured into surly darkness glass.
Pours a thick dark dark brown like good black licorice with a half finger tan/mocha head that left slight soapy lacing and the beer itself coated the glass with a light brown coating.
The smell is great. You get nice loads of chocolate, slight vanilla, nilla wafers, graham crackers, earthy hops, cinnamon toast crunch and some chilies.
Taste is interesting nice bitter coffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, slight graham cracker and loads of chilies and earthy hops on the finish. Wish the taste was as amazing as the smell.
The mouthfeel was lighter than I had hoped but that might have been the chilies that changed my palate. Slightly too much heat on the finish for me but it did make it easier to drink the bottle all by myself, it would have been tough if it was sweet and cloying.
Overall q good beer that has the most complex smell and a different taste from other stouts. Don't think I need to actively seek out though, I've had it twice now and would like to try a barrel aged treatment to compare.

4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

2011 vintage poured at cellar temperature.

A: Deep brown with 2 finger reddish/brown head. Good lacing present.

S: Chocolate and chili pepper.

T: Immediate intense chocolate chili flavors that give way to dark chocolate notes. Slight heat left in the throat as it goes down.

M: Perfect! Thick and chewy. Well carbonated.

O: Near-perfect. In my top 10 all-time.

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

bottle poured into two Sam Adams perfect pint glasses
thanks to hollywood_15063 for the trade.
March 8, 2014 release written on the bottle.
some of the best head I have seen on a imperial stout. 3 fingers deep and thick oily look. dissolves into a still heavy frothy level of head prior to sipping.
a very bright LED flashlight does not shine through this beer. it's that dark.
carbonation seems good but cannot be seen.
nose is vanilla, cocoa and chocolate. it is very strong and apparent.
some booziness is noticeable as well on the sniff.
color is thick dark chocolate.
taste is amazing and reflective of the ingredients used. there are other imperial stouts that I like better. some smoke from the chile, slight but not overpowering vanilla and some cocoa.
I do not get chile spiciness in this merely the flavor of chile peppers, but I also am quite immune to spiciness as I eat tons of varieties of chiles almost daily in my diet.
the mouth-feel is smooth and medium. not super thick.
cocoa nibs dry out the tongue a little more than I would like on a beer in this style.
the residual cocoa nib flavor could be more subtle IMO.
the front end is dank chocolate and vanilla stouty goodness. SO SO good. back end leaves a little (but not much) to be desired.
highly recommended if you can get your hands on one.

4.84/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-a nice hard pour reveals a 1 finger rocky dark brown head. Looks nice. Starts dissipating quickly to a wispy head and then to nothing.

S- Lots of Chocolate and some vanilla and rum notes. As for the chilis, I can pick up very slight dried ancho aromas that blend with the chocolate. Cinnamon starts presenting itself as the beer warms up, and adds a nice spice note.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate is up front and incredible. Then in the middle of the palate the vanilla and rum notes present themselves. As the beer warms the cinnamon kind of starts presenting itself and it is really complementary to all of the other ingredients. Chili takes a while to be able to notice. But I am starting to get some chili head as the beer reaches room temp. the wonderful thing about this beer is that it keeps changing quite a bit and revealing new surprises as it warms.

M- Not as thick as a beer as I expected. Carbonation is quite low but perfect. Not as heavy a beer as I had expected. Dangerously smooth.

O- Best beer I have ever had. I expected something similar to Prairie Bomb. It is better than Bomb, yet a little lighter. This beer is like chocolate in a glass. Incredible.

4.82/5  rDev +5.2%

Black color that pours like motor oil. Nice dark brown head that lasted a few seconds and disappeared, but left some nice lacing behind. Aroma of loads of roasted malts, chocolate, sweet vanilla, light cinnamon, more spiciness. Flavor is sweet, vanilla upfront, hard roasted malts, lots of bitter chocolate and milk chocolate, a hint of cinnamon, slight peppery burn on the tongue, roasted bitter finish. Full bodied, prickly but smooth and fat mouthfeel. One of the most unique Imperial stouts I've ever tried.

4.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Motor oil black pour that's coats the glass like it really is crude oil. Small brown head. The aroma is soy sauce, dark fruit, some slight chillies, big bitter dark chocolate and lots of background smokiness. The flavor adds in a big espresso body with a hint of cinnamon. Viscous, oily, full body with low carbonation.

4.26/5  rDev -7%

A - Pours a viscous black ink that a dark chocolate head rises from, sheet stays, some webs.

S - Roasted malts, coffee, tobacco, chocolate, smokey ancho, slight vanilla and alcohol warmth.

T - This is a pretty complex beer that definitely needs to reach the correct drinking temp. Starts with chocolate sweetness, mid palate slight cinnamon, which fades into the eventual super roasted finish that reminds me of a good cup of black coffee.

M/D - The mouthfeel is perfect, think and oily with the right amount of carbonation to help it over your tongue. Drinkability only suffers for me due to the amount of roasted malts. This beer would be great with a chocolate ancho cake, but might be overkill.

Pours a 1 finger thick beautiful mocha head dissipates to form a solid ring around my ccb snifter and stays throughout the drink. It has an aroma of strong dark chocolate with coffee in the background. It tastes of chocolate up front, coffee and vanilla notes with a finishing burn from the alcohol then from the peppers. This beer is so complex I am tasting something different each time I try it. Hunahpus is the greatest beer I've ever had, so complex and so delicious!

4.58/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours like old, dirty, chunky and sludgy oil that's been run a couple thousand miles too long through a diesel engine, with about a finger and a half of the darkest head I think I've ever seen on a beer. It is the color of extremely dark cocoa powder, and is nice and fluffy. As I write this, it's disappeared--all but a fine ring around the edge of the glass and a nice filmy fluffy foam across the top. Placid and still. Nothing as I hold it to the light--not even a hint, though as I swirl it in the glass the head seems to have a slight cherry or mahogany tone. Very slight amounts of patchy lacing.

Smell: Smelling something that looks like the oil I just changed a week ago can be a little disturbing. Smells of chocolate, mint, coffee and raspberry syrup--reminds me of the chocolates behind the counter when I worked at a Godiva, which is a memory that is just about as diametrically opposed to changing the oil in your car as you can get, I think. There's some bitter hop and burnt malt notes, flavored by sour cherries, raspberries, and limes. Smells slightly like breakfast as well--toast, pancakes, bacon, and slight smoke. Slight blueberries are present in the nose, as well as faint coffee. Vanilla ice cream is heavily in the background, and smells very much like a milkshake made with thick whole milk and just a bit of vanilla bean. A lot lighter and more sour/abrasive than the taste.

Taste: Whew, this one is heavy. I feel drunk having taken the first sip. That's not to say it's hot--there's only slight hotness--and there's really only slight alcohol apparent in the taste, but it's so rich. In a way, the taste is very similar to the smell. I'm getting creamy chocolate truffles still (which carry through to the aftertaste), as well as plenty of smoky, burnt toast and meat notes, and that creamy milkshake is still definitely there (though with far less vanilla than in the nose). And the cream is extremely heavy in this, which is interesting since the first notes you get in a sip are the bitter hops, burnt toast, and a bit of lime and raspberry sourness, as well as a syrupy note, sort of a cross between pancake syrup and coffee syrup. The aftertaste is creamy as well as providing bitter hop notes and very very dark chocolate truffles. The rest of the brew is dominated by cream, even when this is flavored by the heavy chocolate truffle notes--particularly coffee, raspberry, and dark chocolate truffles. It's now pointed out to me by a friend that the heat is more chili-like than alcohol like. I guess that makes sense, and now I'm tasting that a bit more in this brew.

Mouthfeel: I'm not initially impressed by the mouthfeel here, though I'm certainly going to be playing around with this number a bit as it warms. At times I think it could use more carbonation, but I think this would be a difficult brew to play around with. The carbonation that is there is voluminous, but composed of extremely small bubbles that disappear as you hold the sip in your mouth. After that, this brew is extremely odd. There's a very long lasting chocolate truffle aftertaste, and the thickness of the brew sticks around. A lot of times I would describe the mouthfeel on a thicker beer as "chewy." This one is creamy throughout, which is very odd with the heavy carbonation out front. And I mean creamy--once you finish the sip the cream lingers, coating your mouth, as if you had just drank heavy whipping cream, texture and all. It makes this one really hard to rate. That all said, I suppose the carbonation level is about right, though wow, what an interesting brew to try to work with on this.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, and I never would have guessed what the ABV was on this. An interesting and truly great brew, and by far the best I've had from Cigar City. The flavors and scents at times blend in rather strange ways, but it's a delicious brew and overall works well. Major kudos for creativity.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Shared at a tasting by Dreadnaught33. Thanks man!

Very Black, viscous fluid poured into a small snifter. No light permeates this. The simple head that formed was very dark tan. The color of the head is interesting to me as it can very wildly on beers that are seeming similar in fluid color. Hunahpu's has one of the darker caps I have ever seen.

The aroma is quite impressive and complex. I get a combination of big roasty notes, vanilla, citrus peel, and some spiciness against a slightly caramel malt character.

A sip reveals even more complexity with varying layers of malty flavor. Slight caramel, big dark chocolate, and some roast all present themselves cleanly in the flavor. Notes of vanilla creep through as well. A slight back-throat burning occurs with the swallow; kind of as a signature or brand to let you know you are drinking something special. Amazing beer. Medium dry finish makes this beer a pleasure to drink.

The mouthfeel is adequately dextrinous making for full-bodied but with an effervescent carbonation that keeps it from being heavy. I really love that chili burning sensation in the back end!

The drinkability is great as the beer displays great levels of flavor without cloying sweetness. Medium dry finish keeps you wanting more. This is a great sipping beer and would work well by the fire on a cold night as a digestif or paired with a dark chocolate torte.

This is one of THE best big stouts I've ever had and compares favorably with Darkness, Dark Lord, and KtG. It has it's own signature about it, but very interesting nonetheless.

4.87/5  rDev +6.3%

A special thanks to Lare453 for this rare treat

A- Pours thick and jet black with a small tan head

S- Chocolate, cinnamon and brown sugar. No real pepper in the nose

T- Wow. Lots of chocolate, dark fruits like figs and dates, and brown sugar. Cinnamon and pepper cuts through the dark chewiness and leaves a nice dry finish

M- Thick, chewy and light carbonation

O- A spectacular stout. Many different levels that delivers start to finish. I will have to
travel to Fla for the next Huna day

4.89/5  rDev +6.8%

Significantly better than any other spiced stout I've had (Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc). Great balance, complex flavors that aren't overly aggressive. Well worth the effort.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing