Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 707 | Hads: 3,554
4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Much thanks to tpd975 for passing along another great bounty of CCB beers. Greg is one of the best traders and all around good guys in this community.

Anxiously awaited this beer and was thinking of Black Tuesday the whole time I was drinking it. Hard to imagine a beer getting more hype this year than Black Tuesday so I was really interested to see how this brewery release would hold up against BT and some of the other high profile releases of the past year.

A - The best appearance of a beer that I have ever seen. Poured from a chilled bottle into a snifter. Pours black and oily with a billowing head rising up. Absoulte perfection all the way around.

S - Chocolate certainly rules but there is enough going on there to make this very enticing. Some small scent of molasses, vanilla, are also there but the chocolate and chili let you know that it is there.

T - Was on the borderline of a 4.5 and 5 for this one. Would have thrown a 4.75 down if I could have. Exceptional taste as all of the previously noted goodies come through. A layering effect as each one presents itself.

M - Great. Oily and smooth feel.

D - Hard to imagine that this one is what it is. You simply want more and more of it as you drink it, it is that good.

This beer in my opinion slaughters Black Tuesday. The best beer that I have had this year. Can't wait to crack open another one. A great, great beer. Bravo to CCB.

2014 bottle enjoyed out of a snifter and a teku

A: Pours an incredibly thick and viscous pitch black. It's a cliche, but motor oil is the appropriate analogy. Serious legs on this one, and a thick film coats the glass. Khaki/mocha head that dissipates quickly into the darkness. Might be the darkest beer I've ever seen.

S: Bright notes of plums, cherries, and dark fruit; pleasant hints of vanilla, chocolate, and coffee; and lots of cinnamon. There's also a thick and heavy-ish aroma of booze, almost like rum. All of the foregoing might suggest an off-kilter, out-of-whack nose, but for all the intense aromas, the nose is incredibly restrained, well-balanced, and even mild. Just masterful stuff here.

T: The initial flavor is of creamy, slightly bitter coffee and chocolate, followed by dark fruits, thick vanilla, and a blast of cinnamon. Aftertaste is bitter coffee, cinnamon powder, and dark chocolate. Light and vegetal chili presence throughout. Final kick is a bit of heat down in my stomach. So many flavors working seamlessly together here. Delicious.

M: Rich, viscous, and light, and not thick, syrupy, or overwhelming. The beer is barely carbonated and almost flat, which works well for all the flavor this beer is packing.

O: Outstanding beer on every level. The aromas are so rich and pleasing, with each flavor playing off and complementing the others. The flavors are so decadent, so bold, yet so balanced and complementary. Who says you need a barrel to rule the world?

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is easily the best imperial stout out there. If you are not looking for the high ABV, and hence not that boozy taste of fortified wine, this beer will make you a fan.

This is a nice imperial stout. Pours a dark beer with some carbonation. Smells like coffee, chocolate, vanilla. Taste is superb. It is not dry, it is like a sweet coffee drink, or liqueur. I literally could sip on this all day long. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sweet.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

From notes. Big thanks to Jon for pulling this out of his cellar to try next to Mexican Cake. I've had it before, it's definitely time to review.

A - My god. This really is the perfect looking imperial stout, imo. Huge, roasted chocolate head that lingers. Pitch black with slight stickiness that clings to the side of the glass.

S - Big chocolate and cinnamon nose. Absolutely huge on both. Slight alcohol on the back end.

T - I remember linking it slightly more fresh. Big time cinnamon taste. Slight chili to go along with the chocolate (and cinnamon). The vanilla has faded and let the cinnamon take hold. When I drink this fresh again, I'll probably come back and give this bad boy a 5 on taste.

M - I remember getting a lot more viscosity and chili to compliment the cinnamon the last time. The mouthfeel is very good, don't get me wrong. Just not great this time around.

O - This is one of the best imperial stouts I have ever had. I would drink this continuously if I had access. When I checked in on Untappd, my comment was simply "bury me with this beer."

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Another one of the CCB treats I had at The Brass Tap. Poured jet black into a tulip, with a dark brown head that looks very dense. This beer certainly does not look like it is messing around. Amazingly complex aroma, the coffee hits you up front, but a parade of roasted malt, chocolate, and that firey chili follows closely behind. This complexity comes through in the taste, as well, as the dominant chocolate malt backbone is supported by many other flavors. There are some hints of tobacco in the background, and that chili adds some spicey fireworks in your mouth towards the end. Not surprisingly, a rather dense beers that weighs heavy in the mouth. As I have stated all along, a ton things going on in this beer, a very enjoyable stout, but not one you can have too much of.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black, heavy handed pour yielded almost 2 finger beautiful mocha head. Leaves a nice oily residue when swirled. A bit on the cold side, but maybe a faint metallic whiff mixed in with cinnamon and cocoa. Chocolate and cinnamon dominate the flavor. Maybe a slight prickle from the pepper, but not hot by any means. Pleasantly thick mouthfeel for a non-BA stout. This beer seems to cry out for a barrel. Overall a strong offering, but perhaps I expected too much after drinking the revelation that was DBH.

C. Hard to see clarity when the beer is Black
H. Dark Black
N. Coffee, Cinnamon, Chocolate, hints of Vanilla

Comments taken from my blog

Alright this is why we came to Tampa. While I have had this beer before at craft festivals I have never actually reviewed it. Love the nose of this beer, it has such strong scent of coffee and cinnamon. It is hard to compare that odor, but it makes me happy. After first sip you can taste the cinnamon, coffee, and a hint of brown sugar and vanilla. Pretty complex and matures well while reaching room temperature. I would say slightly chilled is a great temperature for this aggressive beer. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Not an extremely thick Imperial stout. Wow...I'm really happy that I came to Tampa and am able to pick up some bottles of this beer. I personally think it is going to become AMAZING over time.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

Cracked this open on July 3rd for my first anniversary celebration. Couldn't find a better reason to drink this big guy...

a: motor oil black and as thick as it when you pour it out. Beautiful creamy head with tons of dark brown bubble springing up. Nice thick brown lacing and it looks very very thick.

s: sweet and cocoa. No heat from the alcohol in the nose, but there is a rich buttery chocolate aroma pouring off the glass. Something spicy as well.

t: chocolate, rich chocolate. I am getting tons of it, more sweetness in the middle and a little spice from what I'd assume to be the chili. Not strong, but compliments the cocoa very very well. finishes bitter with a hint of vanilla and cinnamon and leaves you dry waiting for the next sip.

m: creamy and buttery. extraordinarily thick. too thick for the warm summer night that I drank it on, but in the winter what a wonderful brew this will be to try again. spreads through the mouth and stays long. very sticky sweet.

o: just wow. this beer has tons of flavor. it is truly unreal to me how they packed in this much flavor without even a touch of booze. I didn't get heat one time. the chili spice is great with the cocoa. they did a better job using it than DFH did with Theobroma. Just a wonderful beer and I cant wait til the next time.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Jet black with a dark dark tan head. Head recedes slowly but surely into a ring. Practically stains the glass.

S- Oh wow! Smells incredible! You can smell everything in its place, the chiles, the coco, the vanilla, and of course the cinnamon gives a great complexity.

T- This beer is awesome! So much complexity, but everything is very balanced. You get everything and it all has its place and none of it is overbaring at all. Truly awesome flavor.

M- For something so big and bold it goes down so easy its scary.

O- Easily one of my all time favorites, blew me away.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Bottle shared with a BA buddy.

A: Dark black with a very viscous look. A bigger head than I am used to with some of the big cigar city stouts. Nice 1 cm dirty dark brown head.

S: Smells really strongly of spice and strong dark malt. There is a hint of booze in the nose.

T: Really surprised at the flavor of this one. Really robust. I gather dark burnt flavor up front with some cocoa and coffee hints. The middle and end remind me of vanilla and I got the spiciness at the end. I'm going to guess that was the cinnamon. It wasn't as spicy as I was thinking it would be from the chiles.

M: Like I had said, more carbonation than I was used to but it was really good full bodied beer.

D: A sipper and glad it was shared. On top of being 11.5%, the robustness of the flavor could get overwhelming but an excellent beer regardless, I just would try drinking a ton of it.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Served on draft at Kickbacks into a 8oz Unibroue snifter/sampler glass. 6oz pour.

Blacker than your ex's heart is this beer. No light anywhere near this beast is getting through. Dark mocha head, similar to a chocolate mousse, only darker. Lacing is spotty. A finger of head on the pour. Even when just moving the beer in the glass, the sticky nature of this beer takes over, leaving its mark throughout. Viscous just isn't enough to describe this beer. At rest, this is a nice rim of mocha head sitting at the cusp where the beer meets the glass. Lovely.

Nose is dominated mostly by the chocolate base that is Zhukov. Having had this fresh, it has lost most of its profound nose. Notes of sweetness from the vanilla, and a mild chili presense. Much more of a "chocolate" beer nose than anythign else. Alcohol noted, though has to be sought after. It has lost much, so I am rated it higher knowing what it once was. Fresh is better in this regard.

The taste experience is something found in no other beer I've had. The chocolate base of Zhukov is found through out, accententuated by the cocoa nibs. Off of this base comes the flavors in order. Vanilla, then cinnamon and then a fine note of the chilis. All are well done, none dominated and still an imperial stout. So much more than a chocolate beer at this point. So, damn, amazing. It may lose a bit since it was kegged in terms of fresh flavors, but it has gained a balanced quality.

So bloody viscous. Sticky in the mouth. It requires plenty of time to enjoy. It is impossible to merely drink this one, as it something to be savored. Requires a good hour just to drink.

SO intense, so powerful, so unapologetic, and so brasen in the approach, yet well done. Hard to bring another "flavored" stout that has this much intensity yet it is so enjoyable to drink. Very, very, very well done.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I have never had Hunahpu this fresh so I may be looking at things through a different set of eyes.

As soon as the bottle was open all I got was cinnamon raisin toast, seriously. This is not a bad thing, but it was was way more dark fruit than past offerings.

Everything was spot on, great nose, excellent head retention, outstanding mouthfeel.

I will open another bottle in 6-8 months and see how much this beer changes overtime and will update this review.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The aroma is cinnamon, chocolate, chilies, vanilla - exactly as advertised. Right away I can tell this is a super complex and intense beer. The taste follows the nose with huge chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon notes. Its such a big beer and sets the standard for mouth feel. The beer is coating the glass and my mouth. I can taste this beer 5 minutes after taking a sip because it coats the mouth and throat so heavily. Chilies have faded after a year, but still remain prominent in the nose and the heat builds as the beer coats the mouth and throat. It pours with almost zero head and that counts against it is the look department, but its hard to find anything wrong with this beer. Edit: 2015 version has less cinnamon. Adjusted scores on aroma and taste.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, we did a side-by-side comparison between this and the barrel aged blend
Pour - jet black, minimal head
Smell - cinnamon, coffee, chocolate
Taste - amazing, similar to the smell in every way
Overall - if you ever get the chance, drink it...drink it all

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Incredibly complex flavor-shifter. I sipped it out of a tiny snifter. It wasn't as spicy as I expected. It's clear why this beer is so well respected. The cinnamon may have been a bit over-bearing. If you land a bottle, I suggest sharing. For all of its hype, it did not let me down. But I still say that Bomb! wears the chili stout crown.

-Darfius McGarfus

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

This one has some hype to live up to.

Pours dead black with the most amazing cocoa head ever.

Smell is a bit off-putting. Nothing inviting here, bitter, dark hops and/or cacao.

Taste is COMPLEX. Getting cacao beans, and a healthy cinnamon burn which is amazing. Coffee roast coming through as well. Not getting a ton of vanilla. Did I mention Cinnamon and chile burn?

Wow, this is a wonderful taste. I love cinnamon and chocolate combined and this is the best of all worlds - Cinnamon, chocolate and BEER! But it works. This reminds me of the descriptions of ancient Aztec hot chocolate drinks back when the cacao bean wasn't the invention of Milton Hershey.

Not much else to say. Not going to be a favorite if you don't like new things. :) I love this - though I can't see drinking it all night.

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Ever since I read what Cigar City was doing with this beer, I've been excited to give this one a shot - I mean, a lot of stuff is going into this beer. The label says "Malt beverage aged on Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans." Seriously, that sounds amazing! Thanks to kbutler1 for trading me a bottle - my expectations are high! The bottle arrived with just a bit of leakage at the top (even though it was packaged perfectly and taped around the cap) - a very sticky, syrupy substance. Figured I'd better crack this one open soon - wouldn't want to waste it!

Split with a few friends and spread between three different glasses. As I cracked it open, it was immediately obvious as to why the beer was leaking. The bottle was literally filled up almost to the very top. One millimeter below the opening was standing liquid...beer! Cigar City did not skimp on this guy! I carefully poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Whoa - that is an amazingly thick brew. As it stacks up in my glass, it appears that there is no carbonation...guh, disappointment...but wait! After I get the glass about halfway filled, I set it on the table and watch the upward cascade fill another third of my glass. From a vat of recycled motor oil to one of the thickest, darkest, brown heads I've ever seen, the bubbles keep multiplying as this thing nears the top of my glass - impressive. Fairly quickly it wanes, and by the time I've had three or four sips the head is merely a shadow of its former self capping the surface with a soft dark brown lid. The beer itself is a black hole allowing zero light to escape, even at the extreme edges.

Hunahpu's is chalk full of chocolate goodness. The chocolate malty smell dominates the nose at the beginning. A sweet chocolate rises through the head as well, making me think I'm about to enjoy dessert as opposed to a nightcap. No cinnamon for me but a bit of peppery spice when I try hard. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol becomes prevalent for the first time separating itself from a sweet vanilla and a bit of dark sweet fruit. A complex brew for sure that is only compromised just slightly by the alcoholic prevalence. Ok, I can't wait any longer to give this a shot.

Fudge. Sweet, chocolate fudge. It's pounded in there and is not shy. I do get a bit of the chili / peppery taste when I get the beer to settle on the back of my tongue. Again, as hard as I work to taste the cinnamon, I can't find it. The vanilla is definitely in there as well, adding yet another sweet component to Willy Wonka's wet dream. I'm very impressed by how well this is balanced. With a bunch of different flavors competing, things can easily get messy; but cigar city has done it right here. This is a thick and creamy brew that feels absolutely divine in my mouth. I rank the mouthfeel as a perfect 5, right there with Kate the Great's creaminess and the oily, thick, syrupy masterpiece of Dark Lords past.

This is a damn fine beer. As I finish my last few sips, my glass is laced with a thin grainy film left behind from this viscous beer. My upper lip sticks to the rim of my glass when I get a bit too close. Although the alcohol was prevalent on the nose, it is nearly completely masked in the drink. I'm wishing I hadn't invited so many friends over for this.

Consumed: 3/23/2010

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014 vintage poured into tulip glass. Many thanks to BA Dooshbagalow for the trade!

A: Deep, deep black, with really nice dark brown, cocoa colored head forming and sticking around the edge of the beer's surface. A quick swirl brings it back. Nice lacing around the outside of the glass.

S: Wonderful rotating bombast of sweet spiciness. Bitter dark chocolate, lots of cinnamon, a little vanilla. When cold they're present but muted; as the beer warms and breathes they ramp up.

T: Mmmm. Follows nose, bitter chocolate flavor is first present, with a blast of milk chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla following. This is a sweet, complex beer, but a hint of bitterness keeps it from being too much. On the very back the chilis present themselves, adding an interesting kick. Alcohol kept in check the whole time, though there is a definite warming sensation. Tastes like a dark mexican chocolate bar with a little booziness. Fantastic.

M: Smooth, think, coats the mouth with all of these wonderful flavors.

O: A really fantastic stout, the hype is certainly warranted. One of the better stouts or beers of any kind that I've had in a long while. Will definitely seek this one out in the future, and stockpile reserves to trade for the DB version.

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

This was one of the best cinnamon spiced beers I've ever had! The flavors that came from this were perfect. The alcohol heat was well hidden by the chiles in the back. I will definitely be going to Huna day next year!

Poured Black like the stallion of midnight and stuff. I noticed a light tan fizz on top that disappeared fast, like Grease Lightning. Smelled different not like the uncle you rarely see, but more like a Mexican pinata before it is filled, not really but it sounds fun. I guess the smells are from the chiles? The taste is blended nicely with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon, chocolate (unsweet), the blend of chiles and finishes quite dry.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from notes. On tap at the brewery on the day of the release. 03/12/11

A: Black as night with a ridiculously dark one finger head. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: The cinnamon is in the forefront. Followed by notes of the vanilla, chiles and chocolate.

T: The cinnamon is the first thing that you notice here as well. Then notes of vanilla, chocolate and a faint hint of the chiles.

M: Thick, creamy and silky. One of the thickest Imperial Stouts that I've had.

O: A really fantastic Imperial Stout that I much prefer fresh as opposed to with some age on it. I was glad to be able to get to try it on tap.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 2013. Poured from 750 ml into pint glass. Oily black. Little brown head. Smells of chocolate, roasted malt, and cinnamon. Tastes the same. Vanilla. Finishes spicy. Delicious.

2.5/5  rDev -44.6%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 5 ways.

A - pours thick, a Beautiful inch thick head covers the motor oil stout. Looking into the glass you notice the head has colored of tan and red, and they swirll together to marbalize a great looking beer.

S - ok, this beer starts to go downhill here. The aroma is of soy sauce and chilies. Really offputting for my stout preferences. The aroma jumps around to slight coffee roast, but the bad smell of the chilies overpowers and ruins it for me.

T - this beer is different. The first sip hits with a slight coffee and chocolate blend, some slight vanilla, then hits you with a cloying sweetness, then some offputting chilies, finished by a slight hot alcoholic finish with cocoa, and it could not have finished much worse. The beer was all over the place and the flavors did not blend well at all. It felt like they just through in a million good ingredients and figured they would all be great together, and simply, it doesn't work well together.

M - very carbonated, creamy, and smooth. This is how I enjoy my stouts. The carbonation could be toned down a bit, but the mouthfeel is still amazing.

D - this beer was a tough one to drink. All 5 of us said it was a rough beer, and hard to enjoy. The messy flavors ruin the beer I was expecting to enjoy. The heat from the alcohol is noticable, and offputting. I didn't want anymore of this beer, so the drinkability suffers.

O - this was one of the biggest beer dissapointments IMO. The flavor was all over the place, cloying sweetness, chilies, and alcohol ruin what could have been a good beer. It was close to unanimous that this beer was far from good. I really went into this unique beer with an open mind, but was still just dissapointed in the end. Not worth the hassle to get and try this messy beer.

4.78/5  rDev +6%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to rhinos00 for splitting this 3 ways with me.

A: Pitch black with very dark tan colored head. Reduces to a thick film. This beer is exactly how a RIS should look. Absolutely perfect.

S: Smells like sweet chocolate with a little spiciness and coffee coming through. Hint of cinnamon.

T: WOW. This is great. Lots of coffee in the taste. Especially at the end. Burnt roasty malts in the finish complemented well with dark chocolate. Pick up a little chile and cinnamon in the middle. Vanilla comes through in the finish. Very complex flavors going on with this beer.

M: Super viscous. Very thick. I love this mouthfeel in RIS. Not overcarbonated.

D: 11.5%....never would have known. Went down easy. Very little alcohol burn at all. Really enjoyed this beer

My favorite beer overall. And that's after having Julius, Mexican Cake, Good Morning, and other top rated beers. The mouthfeel on this thing is what separates it from the rest. The complexity is off the chain. Each sip is different.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing