Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,179 | Reviews: 685
4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

2013 Vintage split with my neighbor on my 32nd bday. Been wanting to open this for awhile.

Poured into snifter a motor oil black with a dark mocha colored head that had some decent legs given a year and a hslf in the bottle.

Aroma was mostly chocolate and roasted coffee, some sweet crream

Taste was dominated by bitersweet / dark chocolate. Amazing. Some coffee and vanilla but was a bit let down to not get any cinnamon or chilies guess I need to try more fresh

Mouthfeel was very thick and visocus , lower carb. Perfect for the style

Overall I was impressed but just slightly let down by the lack of complexity I was expecting. Need to try this more fresh to properly evaluate

4.65/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Immortale25 for this major, major want!

L – Black color with a 1-finger brown frothy, foamy head. Nice retention and lacing. VERY viscous. There are some noticeable legs on the side of the glass as well. This looks great.

S – Lots of chocolate and vanilla with a little bit of noticeable chile and cinnamon spice. Smells pretty good.

T – Wow. While it only smelled pretty good, it tastes ridiculous. It starts off with cocoa and vanilla sweetness and picks up a little bit of a kick along the way with cinnamon and pepper notes. As the taste progresses, it picks up a BIG roasted malt and dark chocolate character. Toward the finish, the dark chocolate really builds to a crescendo and finishes out the beer perfectly. This is delicious.

F – Full-bodied, decent carbonation, a velvety and creamy mouthfeel, and a sweet, mildly bitter, and mildly dry finish. Bittersweet dark chocolate lingers for a long time. There’s a bit of warmth from the alcohol, but the 11% ABV is largely hidden.

O – This is a fantastic beer and one of the best stouts that I’ve ever had the pleasure of having. When I poured it and smelled it, I was a bit concerned that the hype train may be striking again. It looks and smells very good, but I remember thinking that I’ve had stouts that were similar in both departments. However, I was proven very wrong once I tasted it. This beer is very special and has a phenomenal blend of flavors that all work perfectly together. The mouthfeel is also fantastic. The cherry on top is that I have no idea where all the alcohol in this beer is hiding. It is extremely drinkable for an 11% ABV imperial stout. I am so, so glad that I got to try this one and I’d love the opportunity to have it again. It’s definitely worth seeking out. Thanks, Joel!

4.35/5  rDev -5%

4.62/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to kbutler1 for breaking this bad boy out!

Poured into a snifter. This one is pitch black with a cinnamon looking head. Retention is lacking and so is lacing, but the pitch black beer with a reddish brown cap makes my day.

The nose is intense. I wasn't expecting the peppers to come out this much! I love spicey things and the slight chile pepper spice note in this takes this to a whole new level. Dark cocoa nibs, cinnamon and roasted malts, vanilla and cream and of course peppers. Super intense and I almost can't get past the nose.

Thank god I got past the nose, though, because this tastes amazing. The peppers don't come out as much in the taste, however, which is kind of a bummer (to me at least) but it's still great. Dark cocoa nibs, dark roasted malts, a slight heat from the peppers and a nice earthyness. Great tasting.

Mouthfeel is heavy in body, thick and sticky. Nice carbonation. Smooth feel. Drinkability is great.

Overall, not exactly a stout I will get to drink often, but probably one of my favorites of all time. The uniqueness is just unmatched by anything I've had in a long time. Thanks Kevin!

4.63/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Opened on Christmas and split between 4 people

A - Dark as night with small mocha foam head

S - Chocolate, oak, vanilla, carmel and on the back end comes those chili's, very pleasant on the nose

T - Extremely balanced between the chili, vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla. This is much more balanced than I found Abraxas to be as that was a cinnamon bomb. The finish was where the spice came from.

M - Very thick full bodied mouthfeel with a creamy finish

O - This is my second favorite chili stout as of now. Just behind bomb! and ahead of Abraxas

Update: 2014 Bottle

Much better than the 2013 bottle that I consumed on christmas

Much more balance here between the cinnamon, chocolate, vanilla mix. The cinnamon is more forward with a small amount of heat on the finish.

Luscious chewy thick mouthfeel and it coats the mouth as well as stains the glass.

This is definitely up there now with Mexi Cake, the mouthfeel is better than Mexi cake, this would be borderline perfect of there were more heat on the finish.

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing