Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

4.2/5  rDev -8.3%

4.34/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally have a bottle of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout to myself. Great way to end a bad day. Thanks so much Matt!

I really want to try this super fresh now. March 2013 release, tons of fudge and dark chocolate up front. Sweet with a hint of chiles. Subtle red wine-like grapiness on the back palate. The finish is all cocoa powder. Dense and heavy in the best ways. The pour was almost the best part: thick, it nearly oozes into my glass and I fear a head is impossible. Then, slowly, the deepest mahogany foam cascades vertically to allow an impressive cap to such a big stout. Hell. Yes.

4.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 2013 vintage as I wanted it fairly fresh. It has about 3/4 of a year on it.

Pours out dark as night with a one-finger, dark brown head with great retention and some nice lacing. Smell is nice chocolate forward with some decent vanilla and definitely a little peppers but not overdone. Definitely some nice dark, burnt malts in there as well. The nose is really well balanced and melds together well. Taste is chocolate forward, dark malts next, then comes the vanilla, but like the first time I had this the peppers really aren't forward until you've drank a quarter of the glass so that's what I am expecting here. After a few more gulps you can sense the peppers. Everything REALLY comes together well. This is a great recipe. Mouthfeel is definitely on the thick side like I love my stouts given decent carbonation. Overall this is one of my favorite stouts (I have lot's favorites) an look forward to my trip to Florida so that hopefully I can do some in person trading and get a couple more bottles as I want to share with my friends,

Edit: I love this beer so much cause at first you barely notice the peppers but after half a glass they start to make you sweat a tad bit. This beer is put together so well.

4.5/5  rDev -1.7%

2011 vintage poured into a St. Bernardus chalice. Enjoyed on New Years Day.

Poured like a bottle of motor oil, producing a 1 finger chocolate brown head. Left a nice syrupy resin on the glass.

Smelled of roasted coffee, espresso, and dark chocolate with a slight bourbon scent.

Taste was extremely roasty, almost smokey, but pleasantly sweet on the finish. Didn't taste much of the peppers, perhaps the aging took that away a bit. Definite coffee and chocolate flavors, not much vanilla.

Mouth-feel was thick and tasty. Alcohol was blended quite well so it was an easy drinker.

Overall this was a solid stout but to me, not as amazing as I anticipated. I'd like to try a fresher bottle to get the heat from the peppers next time.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing