Join our email list →

Florida, United States | website

American Double / Imperial Stout | 11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 720 | Hads: 3,644
4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to madvermin for sharing this uncommon beer with me; I believe his bottle was from 2011. Reviewed from notes.

A: Dark. Finger of tan head dissipates quickly. There's a touch of crimson around the rim.

S: Sweet and grainy, lots of chocolate. Milk, cocoa, and vanilla are big (there's really a lot of vanilla).

T: Acidic; dark chocolate mixes with chilis and vanilla very well, tastes like a gourmet food. The aftertaste is of bitter dark chocolate.

M: Very smooth, and medium bodied. Low carbonation and lack of stickiness leaves you wanting more.

O: This was a very satisfying beer, one that lived up to the hype surrounding it. Try it if you can.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml 2013 bottle poured into tulip 14/12/13, REVIEW # 2000!!!! I hope this ones worthy of such a milestone, big Cheers to the most awesome Rutager for the bottle

A black liquid right out of the bottle, just a thumbnail of cola for an edge when held to the light, shes dark alright, even the foams dark, three fingers worth falls after a few sips leaving no lace much to my surprise, second pours no different with nothing sticking

S bakers chocolate, coco, a little char, chilli peppers, cinnamon sticks, peppermint, molasses, faint vanilla, a little espresso, smells a little woody but I as far as I know this isn't barreled, just a hint of booze and plenty more chocolate

T some unburnt cigarette tobacco, (yes I've actually tasted a ciggy...don't ask questions!) strange fruity notes I can't quite place, and everything I smell, rich as all hell and the booze is gone, terrific stuff!!

M faint heat builds but never really accumulates to much, thick liquid, mellow carbonation stops short of creamy, peppers and chocolate syrup just keep going on the finish, and my lips almost stick together

O before this hit my glass I was impressed, the second I cracked the bottle I could smell the chocolate and I could see the darkness before the stream out of the bottle hit my glass, sexy at every turn

I almost feel guilty drinking this one by myself, "almost" being the operative word, quite worthy of the 2000 milestone. The warming chilli works great with this Alberta Winter evening but I couldn't imagine drinking this in the hot humidity of Florida

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours deep dark black with minimal dark brown/cocoa colored bubbles on the surface. The nose is just straight tobacco. A little fruitiness from the chilis and some dark baker's chocolate on the nose as well but mostly wet tobacco. The taste is really bitter dark chocolate with loads of richness throughout. The flavors have already really melded together on this 2013 bottle. They play well. There is no chili heat but some fruitiness. The body is nice and viscous to stand up to the big flavors. It's a bit of a sipper though. It needs to be split multiple ways with friends.

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Thanks to Paul for hooking me up with this one! An aggressive pour yields a black as night pour with the darkest two finger head that I've ever seen on a beer. Unfortunately, the head quickly fades with no lacing. Dark chocolate fudge dominates the nose along with hints of mocha, chili, black cherries, tobacco, and vanilla. The taste follows suit with tons of chocolate fudge up front. As it warms, the chili's really emerge but don't overpower. Also getting hints of bitter cocoa, cinnamon, tobacco, and vanilla. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with a bitter, off-putting finish. Overall, I definitely enjoyed this beer, but no way did it live up to the hype.

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- pours into the snifter jet black with a small dark beige head. Laces beautifully as it goes down
S- dark chocolate, plenty of chile, cinnamon
T- tons of dark cocoa, beautiful chile flavors that give a subtle bite, lots of cinnamon, some vanilla, some dark fruit, slight coffee notes.
M- silky smooth, way smoother than it should be for 11%
O- its is unlike any beer I have had, the chile works so beautifully with the sweet flavors of the cocoa, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. This was extremely easy to drink for its high abv, and I am so glad I got to try it.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

'13 750ml. I love this beer

A- Yep, black as night. Little head, so lots of retention. Not much head to speak of, but it vanished pretty quick. Thin lacing remains around the rim. Chocolate head.

S- The very first thing that I notice is a floral note. Call me crazy. Then I get vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon. Very malty.

T- Maybe the third at most? perfect 5 I have given on taste. This beer doesn't need to be barrel aged to get to a 5. Vanilla upfront, then mixed chocolate and cinnamon spice. Touch of caramel.

M- Just about as good as it gets. My top M is Zhukov, so can't be much different. Thick, so fn smooth. Some carbonation does follow down the throat, but it is not noticeable because the beer is so dense.

O- World class beer. I want this beer sooo bad.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 batch. Poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: The beer is pitch black. No lacings around the glass but the beer left a tint of brown coating around the glass after swirling. Its thick like motor oil.

Smell: Wow... just so much to pick from, I was getting cinnamon, a ton of vanilla, some chocolate, plenty of roasted malt and also some booze.

Taste: A ton of chocolate and a ton of cinnamon. Maybe just a tad too much cinnamon. With each sip it starts out sweet and the heat from the chiles comes in midway through. It's a very prominent heat but not overwhelming at all. With the heat, you can still taste the beer and appreciate the chocolates and vanilla tones. It's incredible how the heat of the beer pairs so well with the flavors of an imperial stout. There is a slight burn in the mouth after you finish the sip. But its slight and stays around - not like a raging fire after eating spicing Mexican food. The heat and the flavors were artfully crafted together in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: silky and smooth. Not so creamy like I wish it would be but it's not thin either. The subtle heat of the beer just coats every inch of your mouth.

Overall: this is one of the best beers I've had. I want more of this, too bad I only had one bottle. What's interesting though was I had an opportunity to try this a few months ago. At that time, I did not note any heat and there was an over abundance of cinnamon. But this bottle I just drank was incredible - the heat was there, there was many flavors to pick from, it was delectable.

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

2013. The long awaited Hunahpu.

This is a massively flavorful beer - incredible flavor depth and excellently balanced all around. Chocolate is the dominant flavor and aroma. Incredibly rich velvety mouth-coating milk chocolate, bittersweet dark chocolate covered oily espresso beans. The madagascar vanilla beans yield an amazing bourbon-vanilla sweetness - some toffee too. It's perfectly boozy at 11%. It's like a spirit coated decadent chocolate vanilla spice cake. The chillies and cinnamon blend incredibly well together and create a spicy and slightly vegetal pepper skin with a cinnamon kick. It has a wonderfully smooth, viscous, mouth-coating full body with very soft carbonation.

Incredible beer that stands out as one of the best in my memory. It's hard to imagine that a barrel aged version could make it better with so much going on, but I must try one after experiencing this.

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Quite dry roastiness, chilis, raw cacao, hint of vanilla

L: Thick, motor oil like consistency, black as night. Dark tan head with a little retention.

T: Dry, roasty chocolate up front with a medium strong backbone of raw vanilla. Medium low earthy bitterness with some cinnamon and chili flavor following. More super dark chocolate into the finish. Fairly dry finish, and fairly dry throughout.

M: Medium full body, almost oily, medium low carbonation. Mild, spice in the finish. Alcohol fairly well hidden.

Almost perfect. Great marriage of flavors.without being too sweet.

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to TheGordianKnot for this. Just met him in Nashville, gave him $20 and had my bottle. No trading involved. Awesome guy.

Appearance: Pours a motor oil black with a half a finger of a brown head - almost identical to Zhukov. Blackest beers I've ever seen.

Smell: Smells of chocolate, coffee, slight dark fruit but not much, a little of the pepper and cinnamon.

Taste -Taste is chocolate, vanilla, chiles on the back end, cinnamon and coffee. Just awesome.

Mouthfeel: Thick mouthfeel - velvet like.

Overall: One of the best beers I've ever had - not sure if I like this or Zhukov more though.

3.56/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Looks awesome. Deep and dark, one of the blackest stouts I've seen. Dark tan head, I love it. I smell the chile's and not much else. Smelled a bit oxidized as it warmed, not as pleasant. Taste is decent. Standard RIS with flavors of chile and very faint chocolate. The vanilla was absent until it warmed a bit. The unfortunate oxidization masks the potential of both the cocoa nibs and vanilla. I was hoping these flavors would be the highlight of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. I see the great scores, yet I'm perhaps distracted by a fridge full of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain that I know will never let me down. I can't help but think that Goose Island and the Bruery are way ahead of the flavored stout game.

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 bottle into a chalice.

dark black, opaque. no head at all. MASSIVE in your face spell of chocolate and alcohol. I can tell this would improve with age. taste is huge on cocoa and alcohol, cinnamon is also very apparent. not getting any chili peppers though. real good flavor overall. full bodied, no carbonation.

overall a real big imp stout that will just improve with age. give it a year to fully enjoy it.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Have had many times both on draft and in bottle. Most recent was at a vertical tasting dinner. FYI, we all learned Huna is best within 1 year of bottling or else the spice falls out.

A- Pitch black with little to no head. Reminds me of black shoe polish it is so dark.

S- Cinnamon, chile, chocolate, slight roasty, and vanilla. everything that is listed is apparent

T- Chocolate followed by chile and vanilla. Truly excellent and perfectly balanced. Only reason it is not a 5 in taste is b/c I have had the BA Huna and know that even this can get a little better

M- thick and coats great. what you expect and want from this type of brew. dont know of a better mouthfeel in imperial stouts

O- one of the best CCB has to offer. a beer that everyone should feel obligated to try

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%

I thought it was a very good stout (obviously you don't reach the heights that this beer has reached on hype alone) but the chile spice is something I could do without. So, that is just a personal preference thing. I would certainly drink it but I would prefer something like a Zhukov that doesn't have the same spice to it.

I would recommend this beer any day. It really is something special.

4.78/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'13 Vintage. Poured into my Huna day snifter. #properglassware

Pours an pitch black. Looks like back ink pouring out of a broken pen. Sexy. Dark kahki head. About the same color as Founders RIS. Frothy mud sitting atop black water. Looks thick and amazing.

Right off the bat I get cinnamon and some nice vanilla. Biggest note of vanilla I have gotten from a beer that wasn't barrel aged. To be honest, I dont like a lot of beer that are brewed with vanilla (reminds me a lot of sweet chalk. Just dont like it) but this smells amazing. I get aromas of milky sweetness, chocolate and an ever so subtle roast as well. Just judging by the smell I have to say this is incredibly balanced. Nothing jumps out at me as being over powering.. Smells like heaven in a glass. ....I dont get much of the pepper though? Maybe my palate isnt used to peppers in beer but I am not getting it.

F*** me this is nice. I gravitate to beers that are on the sweeter side and this delivers a nice amount of sweetness up front. Subtle vanilla, Sugar and cocoa dusted cinnamon sticks right of the bath that mixes with more soft vanilla. The finish has a very small amount of pepper but an incredible lingering cinnamon stick with chocolate and milky sweetness. Extremely well balanced. and impressive. Perfect

Thick mouthfeel. It feels heavy on the palate but not oil like. More like melted marshmallows. Light in all the right places but heavy in the same way. I love this beer.

No trace of booze anywhere (to be fair, I have never been good at picking up the booziness of beers)

Overall impression:

I really love that the roast is extremely subtle on the palate and pretty much unnoticeable (at least to me) Hunaphu is the definition of a silky mouthfeel. The flavours are big and balanced but they all play together nicely. While I dont get too much of the peppers on the nose or on the palate I am ok with that because I dont think that would make the beer any better.

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750ml bottle into clear plastic cup cuz that's how I roll when it's my birthday. Bottle courtesy of Bulbman.

A: Thick, viscous-like, motor-oil consistency looking beer. Aggressive pour leads to a thin peanut butter colored head that remains and slides down the glass as I taste.

S: Roasted chocolate malts, some vanilla in the nose and some spicy shit as well but it's the sweetness and a touch of the alcohol (or perhaps even the pepper) that bring the big aromas.

T: As Nicki Manaj would say: It's a motherfucking monster.The monstrous chocolate, sweet roasted chocolate malts are over the top delicious. Blended nicely with the alcohol kick towards the very end and the subtle notes of the chili pepper and vanilla finish ends this roller coaster ride of a beer.

M: Perfect mouthfeel. Big huge beer, sticky sweet mouth coating.

O: An absolute joy to drink. Was glad to split this with friends because I'm not sure I could have ever killed an entire 750 by myself but man would I love to try.

3.84/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL of this long-time want courtesy of Tugg407 pours a rich black color with an oily, rainbow-bubbled tan head. Nice retention but oddly not much lace.

Nose is very roasty, slightly smoky with some black licorice and blackberries. Interesting and complex.

Taste is quite interesting, different than most stouts out there. Mexican pepitas, cinnamon, spices and dark chocolate. Somewhat mole-ish but without the peanut butter...soft ancho-esque chilis. Alcohol is big, but well integrated. Mouthfeel is soft and lowly carbed. Truly a unique stout to behold, I kind of wish it was a little more milk chocolaty. The dark fruit adds a nice little complex twist. Its really good, but I wouldnt put it in my personal top 10 stouts.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

A special thanks to Lare453 for this rare treat

A- Pours thick and jet black with a small tan head

S- Chocolate, cinnamon and brown sugar. No real pepper in the nose

T- Wow. Lots of chocolate, dark fruits like figs and dates, and brown sugar. Cinnamon and pepper cuts through the dark chewiness and leaves a nice dry finish

M- Thick, chewy and light carbonation

O- A spectacular stout. Many different levels that delivers start to finish. I will have to
travel to Fla for the next Huna day

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours black with a finger dark tan head. Still one of the darkest beers I’ve ever seen.

Smell is a clusterfuck. Got the coco, some spice, some roast and a lot of coffee.

Taste is...carrots? Chili and coco, bit of a chalky texture, very well balanced, cinnamon, graham crackers. Magnificent. Loses the red fruit of Marshal but gains so many more flavors.

This can stand beside Abyss. It’s a near perfect blend of perfect flavors. Rich, but not overpowering. Thick but not heavy. Delicious and beautiful.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Immortale25 for this major, major want!

L – Black color with a 1-finger brown frothy, foamy head. Nice retention and lacing. VERY viscous. There are some noticeable legs on the side of the glass as well. This looks great.

S – Lots of chocolate and vanilla with a little bit of noticeable chile and cinnamon spice. Smells pretty good.

T – Wow. While it only smelled pretty good, it tastes ridiculous. It starts off with cocoa and vanilla sweetness and picks up a little bit of a kick along the way with cinnamon and pepper notes. As the taste progresses, it picks up a BIG roasted malt and dark chocolate character. Toward the finish, the dark chocolate really builds to a crescendo and finishes out the beer perfectly. This is delicious.

F – Full-bodied, decent carbonation, a velvety and creamy mouthfeel, and a sweet, mildly bitter, and mildly dry finish. Bittersweet dark chocolate lingers for a long time. There’s a bit of warmth from the alcohol, but the 11% ABV is largely hidden.

O – This is a fantastic beer and one of the best stouts that I’ve ever had the pleasure of having. When I poured it and smelled it, I was a bit concerned that the hype train may be striking again. It looks and smells very good, but I remember thinking that I’ve had stouts that were similar in both departments. However, I was proven very wrong once I tasted it. This beer is very special and has a phenomenal blend of flavors that all work perfectly together. The mouthfeel is also fantastic. The cherry on top is that I have no idea where all the alcohol in this beer is hiding. It is extremely drinkable for an 11% ABV imperial stout. I am so, so glad that I got to try this one and I’d love the opportunity to have it again. It’s definitely worth seeking out. Thanks, Joel!

3.69/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I tried this Brandy Barrel Hunaphu this past weekend. All of my friends are hyped up about this brew. I enjoyed the smell very much. It smells delicious , vanilla, and cinnamon came out most.

As far as the taste I was not very impressed. It was a harsh burn. I enjoy imperial stouts but this have me some heart burn. I will be trying regular hunaphu this week. I will let you know if it was just the BB that did not peak my taste.

4.19/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Despite the AMAZING reviews this beer gets, I simply just didnt 'get' it. I found it to be tasty, but more than my 8oz glass started to become a chore.

The aroma is amazing with a lot of little nuances making up the collective body of scents. It's the flavor that gets me; it's SO fucking sweet. I don't do malty IPAs and sweet stouts are of course hard for me to fall in love with. With all the flavor jam-packed into the bottle, I found the drinkability very low and overwhelmed by the sweet fudge-like flavors.

Still a wonderful experience and even though I wasn't IN LOVE, I will still give it a good grade for the sheer complexity of this beer.

Cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Consumed alongside a Tatuaje FF 2013 and Askinosie 72% Tanzanian Chocolate at Just for Him, Springfield, Missouri, shared with several friends. 7-12-13.

A- Poured into HF stemware, pours jet-black with a thin mocha head that quickly fades to a thin ring around the glass. Appears to be very thick, almost syrupy, with very low carbonation. 4.25

S- Vanilla beans up front followed by unidentifiable spices, cherries, chocolate, several fruit esters I can't pick up, with a slight alcohol undertone. Extremely complex and enjoyable. 4.75

T- Chocolate that is quickly overtaken by a strong, yet not overpowering chili flavor that gives way to marshmallow-like vanilla, cinnamon, and a complementing roast malt. There is a lingering bitterness, it seems like it is more from the malt than hops though. 4.5

M- Low carbonation that is barely present, a full body with a long bitter note mixed with the heat from the peppers. 4.5

O- This beer is definitely better around 50-55 degrees. All of the flavors seem to pop more and meld to make an incredible beer. I don't know if I could drink much more than 12 ounces of this in a sitting, but it is very enjoyable, and one of the best Russian imperial stouts I have consumed thus far. When you pick it apart individually as far as smell, mouthfeel, etc, it doesn't rate as high as it deserves. Simply incredible, I will be searching for more..

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Much thanks to velcrogrip for this bottle, 2013 vintage.

Appearance: Pours black as death. It's so viscous, thick and creamy. There's a small brown head that quickly goes away.

Smell: Definitely getting vanilla, chocolate and coconut. Some chili pepper character is there underneath everything along with some slight cinnamon. There's also somewhat of an oaky smell, although I don't believe this is barrel aged.

Taste: Chocolate, vanilla and coconut perfectly layered over chili pepper spiciness. The chili pepper element gets stronger as the aformentioned blend tapers off. You're then left with a slightly bitter, chocolate/coconut ending, with the peppers lingering long after the drink; they kinda tingle the back of my throat a little bit, nice. It's just an amazingly well-blended and complex beer.

Mouthfeel: It doesn't get much better than this for an Imperial Stout; the viscosity is in BCBS territory. There's not much carbonation to speak of, but it doesn't bother me one bit.

Overall: This totally lives up to the hype and is one of the best beers I've ever had. Does that sum it up?

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on 2013-06-29 in Lititz, PA. Special thanks to matador677.

A - Fantastic. Completely opaque black with a rich dark brown, 1-finger head that is surprisingly lively.

S - Roasted grain, dark chocolate, cherry, plum

T - Dark roasted grain, plum, tart grape skins, dark chocolate, char, chalk, vanilla and some toffee/molasses sweetness. Subtle but certainly-present chili and cinnamon flavors. It finishes nicely tart and rich with a hint of coffee, bold dark chocolate and pepper-cinnamon.

M - Medium-thick body and light-medium carbonation. Smooth, creamy, lucious.

O - An explosion of flavor.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing