Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)

SageO, Jan 08, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -17%

Black black black. Super dark brown head. Up front aroma of vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and caramel. Flavor is more vanilla, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, citrus, and some roasted oats. Big sweet finish, good carbonation. Wish this one had the chili presence I’ve read about, probably my fault for sitting on it for so long.

pepsican, Jan 08, 2013

Franch, Jan 08, 2013

Quackus, Jan 08, 2013

iemailjack, Jan 07, 2013

AlexFields, Jan 06, 2013
4.43/5  rDev -3.3%

-2012 vintage-

A - oily black in color with a warm, cocoa-colored head and lacing.

S - Dark chocolate upfront followed by rich, roasted malt. I also get a bit of chili pepper and cinnamon in the end. As it warms it starts to sweeten with vanilla and some coffee bean/molasses.

T - There's a nice smoky heat in the finish, but it does not resemble chipotle peppers...
overall, it's smooth and velvety, especially for the complexity and high abv. As it warms, there is a nice ebb and flow between the flavors of chili, cocoa, and cinnamon. This beer really starts to shine is it warms. It takes on qualities of mole and espresso.

M - It's oily and a bit thinner in mouthfeel then I expected. It's still chewy, which is nice, but it's not as viscus as I would have expected.

O - I had very high expectations for this beer. I probably built it up too much, but it's a damn nice stout with a flavor profile which I wish was more prevalent in the craft beer world. I loved "cocoa mole", so I was hoping this would knock my socks off... It did for the most part. It's a shame it's so hard to get a bottle or two. I would like to try it fresh now that I've had it with the better part of a year on it.

ZombiesAteMyDog, Jan 06, 2013

Beeradelphia, Jan 06, 2013

Pjmjr22, Jan 06, 2013

Tony412, Jan 03, 2013
4.58/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Batch one. Here we go, kids...

A- pours jet black with a three finger dark, dark brown head that quickly fades. My god, if the head stuck around for more than a few seconds, it would be the most beautiful beer I've ever seen in my life.

S- chocolate, vanilla, a little bit of heat...not bad, though the aromas are a little muted after nearly three years

T- the vanilla and cacao is still there, and creates a hell of a luscious, sweet, well-balanced beer with absolutely no heat. Dear lord. And actually, I'm getting some heat in the finish. Awesome

M- you can cut this one with a knife, but it better be pretty damn sharp. Motor oil!

O- this one is worth the hype. It aged fine, though I think fresh it could be amazing

bigfnjoe, Jan 02, 2013

TheRuss9585, Dec 30, 2012

badboy7113, Dec 30, 2012

runner440, Dec 30, 2012
4.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Opened on 12/28/12. Tasted alongside CBS, BCBCS and Black Tuesday.

A: Jet black with a little head that stuck around.

S: The smell is overwhelmed with chocolate and roasted malt.

T: CHOCOLATE. Smooth roasted malt, dark chocolate and vanilla. It is extraordinary how prominent the chocolate is in this beer. I have literally never had a stout that had so much chocolate going on. Out of a tasting of 4 American Imperial Stouts.... This was by far my favorite.

M: Right amount of carbonation, smooth and creamy.

O: Compared to BCBCS and CBS, I think this beer should be rated even higher. The amount of chocolate in this beer is astounding.

Rinkor16, Dec 29, 2012

BigE90, Dec 28, 2012

jsurfs82, Dec 27, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +5.9%

750ml bottle 11,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2011 Vintage

December 21st 2012 - according to the Mayan prophecies, the end of the world is roughly 15 minutes away. I guess this would be the appropriate time to crack open a beer named in honour of the Mayan hero who defeated the lords of the underworld and ascended to become the sun.

Appearance: Hunahpu pours as dark as any black hole that is potentially about to devour our planet - not even the dying rays of the sun can yield any light along the edges of the glass. A rough pour yields a massive chocolate mousse coloured head that lasts really well for the Abv. and leaves a few small patches of lace as it recedes. A swirl coats the glass in a sticky brown residue, that fades into heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Ah man, this smells divine! I am not sure I could ask much more from what is potentially my last ever beer! The Peruvian cocoa nibs take center stage, with intoxicating aromas of dark chocolate, cocoa, dark chocolate mousse and cocoa dusted dark chocolate truffles dominating the first few sniffs. As the beer begins to open up, the vanilla beans combine with the cocoa to yield a sweeter milk chocolate aroma, alongside notes from the base beer, including roasted malt, dark roast coffee beans, molasses, dark caramel and some dark fruits. As the beer warms further traces of the chilis become apparent.

Taste: Well, if the world does end in 5 minutes and 28 seconds time, I will die happy - this is absolutely delicious! The flavour has more in common with the base beer than the nose, but the cocoa, vanilla and chilis are all well noted. Flavour notes include: Masses of roasted malt, almost as much dark chocolate, some char, cocoa, dark roast coffee beans, light vanilla, some sweeter milk chocolate, sweet dark caramel, molasses, a little liquorice, some deep dark fruit characters (burned raisins, dark cherries and stewed plums), dark treacle, an earthy note and a light chili flavour. The finish is quite bitter and displays a distinct chili heat that tingles the back of your throat and increases in intensity as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Sadly Hunahpu is a little over carbonated for my tastes, at a medium (or just over) level and not quite as smooth as I would like. The body on the other hand is superb - full, thick and chewy.

Overall: It would seem as though I finished my review just in time - 20 seconds left. . . . . 5 , 4 , 3 , 2 , 1 . . . . . . God damn it - nothing happened! Ah well, I guess I will just have to settle with enjoying the rest of this world class imperial stout.

Thehuntmaster, Dec 26, 2012

Thanks to my buddy robin for this one!!!! Poured in a goose island tulip.

Appearance - poured motor oil black and thick as a milkcomplement each otherth a deep robust chocolate mocha head.

Smell- right of the bat I get mexican chocolate ( bitter sweet dark chocolate with notes of spicy chillies) followed by a subdued sweetness. The aroma of this beer is fantastic and complex.

Taste- wow! Strong presence of roasted malt and bitter chocolate. The spice from the chillies is mild and not over powering they complement each other nicely. Finishes slightly dry.

Mouthfeel - Thick slick and chewy!!

Overall- phenomenal stout!!! Must try for stout lovers. Once agian cigar city has brewed one of the best imperial stouts made!!!

solo103, Dec 25, 2012