Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

Big thanks to jwjon1 for this bottle. This is one I've been wanting to try for a while.

A: Poured jet black and looked like motor oil coming out of the bottle (my girlfriend was terrified), and yet it somehow still had great carbonation and a thick dark brown head.

S: Wow, this beer smells really incredible! Dark chocolate and roasted malt and some other spices that I can't quite put my finger on. I just want to smell this forever.

T: Damn, it tastes good, but I wanted it to be so much better. It's chocolatey and sweet, but I had hoped that the chilies and cinnamon would come through more in the taste. It didn't taste THAT much different than its baby brother base beer, Marshall Zhukov's. Once it warmed up a little, the chilies came through more, but I thought it could've used more of that flavor.

M: Very smooth, but the stickiness of it got to me after a while.

O: Hunahpu's is a damn good beer, but I wanted it to be amazing, and it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Maybe it's just because I'm a big fan of spicy food, but I wanted more of that flavor in the beer than just the hints it offered, because what was there was great. Still, this is a very nice, unique beer.

Edit: Opened a second bottle and it was much more what I had hoped Hunahpu's to be. The cinnamon and chilis really shined this time around and made it a fantastic beer. I'm not sure what was wrong with the first bottle I had, but the second one was considerably better - I'm upping taste and overall ratings from 4 to 4.5.

07-01-2011 02:44:58 | More by starrdogg
Pencible

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

A: This poured 100% pitch black with thick dark brown head. Maybe the darkest beer I've seen.
S: It smelled like rich dry cocoa and cinnamon and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and vanilla and chili powder, and a bit of toffee.
T: It tasted like rich chocolate and chili powder and chipotle, with fresh roasted coffee and cinnamon and vanilla, with a bit of molasses. It had a spicy and very dry aftertaste that was bittersweet.
M: It was crazy thick with a little carbonation. Maybe the fullest body I've had.
D: This was perhaps my favorite stout on record. I could imagine bourbon aging to make it even better, so it's maybe not perfect, but man it's close. The scent and taste are so delicious and unbelievably complex. The body is basically perfect. The bit of alcohol heat is masked by the chilies, so it's surprisingly easy to drink. This would be better fresh, I suppose, but I'm sure it would still be great after some years in the cellar. I love this beer and need more ASAP.

06-30-2011 20:16:55 | More by Pencible
deathcharms

4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to BastionShaw for this beast of a bottle!

Pours a coffee brown, with the darkest head that anyone in the tasting circle had ever seen. About 1/2 a finger worth of head on my pour. Smell! I wish I could smell this beer forever. Each whiff brings a different smell be it Ovaltine, Blackened peppers, tobacco, dark dark chocolate. The smell alone is phenomenal. Onto the taste, with the first sip you get a burst of deep roasted chocolate and as you let that that linger you get a grilled pepper flavor that dances in your mouth. Every sip is different from the next. The mouthfeel is nice but not in your face. The chilies play a good role in letting the tingling sensation coat your mouth without burning your tongue. Also this beer leaves your mouth feeling dry like a tannic wine, but it works! Overall I am ecstatic I got to try this beer and would love to snag another bottle!

06-30-2011 07:51:00 | More by deathcharms
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to Dan for hooking this up. Poured into a tulip. This has a nice creamy looking tan head atop a pitch black body. There is a bit of sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of delicious chocolate (really nice bittersweet dark chocolate). There is a bit of sweetness from the malt. I get a bit of a vegetal aroma that could be the chilies or the hops; it isn't very powerful.

The taste is, like the aroma, mostly chocolatey. There is some nice support with the vanilla flavor. There is just enough sweetness to bring out the best flavors. The finish has just the slightest bit of heat from the chillies.

The mouthfeel here is really enjoyable. The body is relatively heavy, even for a stout (probably because of the adjuncts) and the carbonation leaves a nice fluffy sensation. This is a great mouthfeel.

This beer is not only unique, it's very enjoyable. I had it last year, was confused at the first sip, but at the end of my glass I loved it. I will look to have it again for sure.

06-30-2011 00:39:36 | More by andrewinski1
jnn4v

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Espresso brown color with a minor to moderate amount of coffee colored head. Completely opaque. Looks very thick and viscous.

S: Cinnamon, chocolate, chili powder, and magic. I once had a "perfect" cup of hot chocolate from a gourmet eatery that tasted nearly identical to this scent.

T: Bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon, chili powder, chili peppers (flavor, but not too much heat). Very good overall flavor - pretty close to the ideal non-BA stout. Black coffee seems to come out the more it warms.

M: Excellently thick. Viscous and dense, but without being oily or silky. Very good, but not perfection. Moderate overall level of carbonation with fine bubbles.

O: One of the single best imperial stouts ever made. Complexity, depth, and balance of flavors that are superb.

06-26-2011 00:44:40 | More by jnn4v
benpopper

Washington

4.2/5  rDev -8.1%

Bottle from TKEbeerman to celebrate my first fathers day pours one of the best pours I have ever seen. Seems to almost come out of the bottle lumpy. Thick, pitch black. A solid 1/2 inch of chocolate covered head develops and fights to stick around, fades to some beautiful wispy bubbles on the surface and eventually to a permanent ring. Slightly oily on the glass, not much lacing if at all.

Let this one warm up. Initially there was this boozy thing going on that dominated the nose, but once it warmed up just a bit there are all sorts of developments. A mixture of cocoa and vanilla that best remind me of rich chocolate cake. Very sweet and then something catches me in the back of my nose, the chilis or cinnamon, maybe, but it isn't defined enough for me to grab onto.

Taste was not as amazing over the top as I'd hoped for. Might have sat on it too long? as things seemed a little muddled or faded. But there is still alot there, so not really sure. Begins with a swirling mixture of sweetness. Vanilla, Carmel and Cocoa. Then it gets a pretty dominating roasted malt flavor, but is followed by a dryness and some spice from the chilies I think, but more of a dry chili powder than juicy pepper.

Feels great drinking, super smooth, perfect low medium carbonation that coats the mouth and has very little heat from the 11.5%. Keep going back for more.

Overall I think I was expecting more but I was far from disappointed. Great looking and great feeling, but just good on the important points to me. I am very happy I got to try it as it is unlike anything I have had before, but might be a one and done type of thing for me

06-22-2011 00:49:01 | More by benpopper
xnicknj

4.8/5  rDev +5%

500TH REVIEW

750mL bottled poured into large snifter - big thanks to BastionShaw for this one

Pours a thick, dark blackness with some graham cracker brown head which bubbles up around the glass. Decent retention with clusters of film and patchy lacing on the glass.

Explosive, complex nose with rich dark chocolate and slight bitterness. Notes of vanilla with syrupy caramel and cinnamon spice. Hints of alcohol and chile heat, but not overbearing. Wow, I can't wait to drink this.

Thick, syrupy chocolate with truffle oil and faint bitterness. Roasted malts with caramel and chocolate cake, layered with vanilla and cinnamon tones. Complex throughout, with each sip I can taste the cocoa and vanilla, while the chiles stay under control. Slight heat after swallowing, which keeps you thinking about the beer, and well masked alcohol in the finish.

Full bodied, decent carbonation, silky smooth and creamy on the tongue. Once again, wow - this might be the best non-barrel aged stout I've ever had. Truly remarkable and worth the effort it takes to track one down.

06-19-2011 15:06:12 | More by xnicknj
OddNotion

Received today in a trade with mikesgroove. Thanks Mike you are a very generous man!

Poured into my DFH Signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with no light able to penetrate at any point. Thick dark brown one half finger head that recedes to a lacing relatively quickly. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Very complex, even when still cold. I smell a lot of bitter chocolate up front followed with a dose of vanilla. Good amount of sweetness from the vanilla. The smell alone is intoxicating.

Taste: Everything comes through here! This is simply amazing. Chocolate and vanilla just punch your tongue. Its amazing how much these flavors come out in this beer! At the end of the sip I taste the little twang from the chili peppers. Cinnamon flavor does not particularaly stand out to me. The beer is not overly sweet but the base seems like a great stout as well.

Mouthfeel: The best part of the beer! So thick and motor oil like. Great heavy body but still some nice carbonation on the tongue.

Overall: This beer is FULLY deserving of the hype it gets! Amazing. I am considering traveling to the release party one of these days. This is the best stout I have ever had hands down. So complex, there is so much going on but it melds together perfectly!

06-16-2011 03:39:48 | More by OddNotion
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage shared with steepH20 while watching the Mavs smack down the Heat. Oh, sweet, sweet justice.

Evil black sludge with a rich cinnamon head that rises and fades likes the summer sun. A nice looking beer. A slick coating lays waste to the snifter sip after sip.

For a year old bottle, this shines brightly with the adjuncts on display: cinammon, chiles, and dark chocolate. Unlike any stout I've had.

Rich baker's chocolate and bitters segues into cinammon and spice from the chiles. Full, thick, and hot. Alcohol peppery heat from the chiles and high abv make for a big drinking stout. As individual flavors, this shows its uniqueness. As a some of its parts, it doesn't really shine in its cohesiveness.

Low carbonation and heavy, thick mouthfeel makes this a long, slow sipper.

I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer and am thankful for the opportunity. While a nice experience, I'm not sure that this should demand the pull this beer seems to require.

06-13-2011 03:28:14 | More by BarrytheBear
InebriatedJoker

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Thanks Schwaeh for sharing this bottle with me -

Poured from 750ml botlle into pint goblet -
2011 bottle.

A: Poured as dark as Alister Crowleys soul,One finger head that decended into a thick thin coffee colored lacing,good carbonation.

S: Slight chocholate,vanilla,coffee,deep roasted malt.

T: The flavors tommohawked my tounge with strong bitter coffee,deep rich chocolates,slight vanilla hints,slight spice from the chile's,cinnamon hints as well.

O: Overall I'm blown away by this stout, the flavors are complex yet they meld together perfectly, the chile's leave a slight burn on the back of the throat, however they don't dominate any aspect of the stout,very well made ,great balance.

06-12-2011 13:44:42 | More by InebriatedJoker
tmoneyba

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle from daknole shared by alexsdad06. Poured a reddish black color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy roasted coffee, chocolate and spice aroma. Medium to heavy toasted chocolate malt flavor with a heavy dark bittersweet and small pepper bite finish of moderate to long duration. Full body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. This is another standout beer.

06-12-2011 01:50:41 | More by tmoneyba
schwaeh

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

750ml bottle from 2011

A: This beer has one of the better heads you will get out of an imperial stout; I was worried after hearing so much about the base beer being flatter than hand soap. Poured ever so black into a goblet style glass with an impressive 1/2" mocha head.

S: The smell is where you first know this isn't some run-of-the-mill double stout. There is the typical bitter coffee and dark chocolates but right away you know this is spiced up. I'm sure the chilies stood out more when fresh but they were present in the background, standing behind the vanilla sweetness and brown sugar/cinnamon spice.

T: This really stands alone. I sort of feel that cigar city teamed up with Hershey;s and a seasoning company to make this guy. There is a dominating coffee character which I didn't expect in this beer. Ok, maybe not dominant, just the first big flavor in the party. Next you get the richness and creaminess that the vanilla and cacao nibs bring to the beer. The finish is where you notice Hunahpu's spiciness, which is apparent on the back of your tongue after each taste; Its nothing distracting but enough to give the beer character and set it apart. Alcohol is hidden very well in this big stout.

M: Thick, creamy, and coating. The carbonation was huge for the style.

O: I'm very pleased that I decided to seek out a few bottles of this. Huna is a great way for a brewery to make something different and memorable without throwing it in a bourbon barrel.

06-11-2011 22:36:07 | More by schwaeh
RossCain

2.5/5  rDev -45.3%

Poured a 2011 vintage into a CCB snifter and shared with my girlfriend

A: Pours like molasses, midnight black in hue with a slow-rising, deep chocolate colored head. The head quickly falls and the liquid sits like oil in the glass. Slow falling, vinous legs drip down the sides of the glass upon swirling. Very attractive beer.

S: Very bold burnt roast profile upfront, heavy on the anise and alcohol. A slight waft of baker's chocolate resides in the background. I have to say, the alcohol and burnt roast character don't make for the most inviting aroma...

T: Wow, there is a lot going on here. Some things in a good way, a lot of things in a not so good way. Bitter, dark chocolate upfront with a very heavy lean on malts roasted to the point of char and a touch of heat from the chiles. The middle of the beer is the hardest to get through but near the finish is not as bad as the previous taste leads you to believe. Instead of a bitter charred bite, the beer starts to finish with a kick of vanilla, a touch of cinnamon, and a pretty good velvety, chocolate cake like profile. However before the sweet taste really sets in, the alcohol rears it's ugly head and leaves a lasting, burning note that makes for a not so pleasant aftertaste. In all, a lot is going on here and it is not exactly well blended.

M: Decent mouthfeel, thick and syrupy with slightly too much carbonation. Full bodied, with a very coating character. Finishes with a tingling burning sensation from the alcohol and a high emphasis on a tobacco like char. Sits EXTREMELY heavily in the stomach.

O: I really wanted to like this beer, I really did. It is possible that Imperial Stouts just aren't my thing but this was a really rough beer to get through. Going in, I was expecting a well blended, smooth and dessert like stout with an intriguing blend of flavors. What I got out of it was a rather harsh beer that I kept wanting to like, but each consecutive sip made me cringe just a little more. I didn't want to waste my $20 investment and thought maybe, just maybe it would start to get better over time. Wrong assumption. The char and the alcohol were just too much and the balance that I sought just wasn't there.

All in all, I had to suck it up and drain pour half of the $20 bottle after about 2 hours of trying to get through it. I could likely enjoy this beer as maybe a 3oz sample, but any more than that seems to become insufferable and hard to finish. I guess my next bottle will have to be brought out amongst A LOT of people. I can't see how many people could endure more than a couple ounces of this brew in one sitting.

By the way, the beer literally made my girlfriend physically sick.

06-11-2011 19:02:01 | More by RossCain
Alieniloquium

4.55/5  rDev -0.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a Cigar City Snifter. Classy.

Appearance - As black as they come. Not even a hint of brown in the stream of the pour as it comes out of the bottle. It foams up nicely as I pour it with a dark brown head. The only thing that's missing is lacing, which is minimal.

Smell - Unbelievable aroma. Deep dark chocolate. The friend I split it with said it smells like "really expensive chocolate." Roasty aromas abound with the chocolate and a slight burning in the nose from the alcohol and peppers. Delightful.

Taste - An immediate hop bitterness that fades immediately to a strong flavor of dark chocolate. The pepper flavor burns the taste buds just slightly throughout the entire drink, never allowing the sweetness to overwhelm. In the middle are the dark roasted malt flavors, followed by a finish that wants to be sweet, but can't overcome a hop bitterness and peppery bite.

Mouthfeel - Ok, I like my stouts heavy and chewy, but this is ridiculous. I've split a bottle of Hunahpu two ways once before and it was too much. This time I split it three ways and it seems that I'll make it through the glass. It's the heaviest beer I've ever had. Pretty high in carbonation considering the ABV and weight of the beer. Gives it a good tingle that complements the peppers nicely.

Overall - Outstanding stout. The flavors are perfectly balanced, complex, and like no other stout I've had. The pepper addition is the pièce de résistance that elevates this beyond just a good stout. I will be back next year for the 2012 Hunahpu.

06-11-2011 03:04:18 | More by Alieniloquium
Jazzcrop

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Tastes are intense chili peppers, heat/booze, dark chocolate, European spice, vanilla, bourbon, charred oak, cinnamon, roasted barley, malt, hops, ginger, Mexican street food, Hershey's chocolate milk shake, tobacco and smoke. Really intriguing! OMG!!!

06-10-2011 05:07:13 | More by Jazzcrop
stakem

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Big thank you to CaptinRedBeard for this one. Shared with some friends and tasted along side the base brew (Marshal Zhukov.)

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears deep black in color with more than a finger of very dark brown mocha froth head. The cap holds very well at a finger's strength and as it slowly recedes leaves patches of lace on the glass. When held to the light, there is no light passing through, this is one dark beer. Small fingers of lace dangle down the side of the glass along with faint spotty lace. Once the cap finally dissolves, a quick swirl revives it.

The smell of this brew is tangy with a combination of alcohol and citrus hops. The citrus component is accented by a fruity citrus to earthy element of the chili inclusion. Deep earthy nose on this has subtle notes of tobacco leaves, leather and chocolate. The chocolate smell is very cocoa batter-like with a small vanilla inclusion providing a sweet scent that gains strength in it's presence as the brew warms.

The taste is tangy with alcohol. Bold bitterness with a flavor of roasty chocolate is right upfront with a roasted quality that merges to almost char-like quality. The tangy alcohol melds with a citrus and earthy flavor from the chili addition. The citrus/earthy flavor provides a pleasant boost of flavor and depth of complexity. The alcohol coupled with the heat of the chili creates a lasting tingle of heat in the back of the mouth and down the throat. As the brew warms, the vanilla comes out with a bit more sweetness that highlights the chocolate malt flavors. There is a very faint taste of cinnamon spice included that I didn't pick up on until after I took a few sips and started to talk. It's interesting how some flavors are hidden except in vapor form. The aftertaste is spicy with earthy flavors coupled with roasty grain. Excellent.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest to light level of carbonation. Excessively enjoyable, I would love to be able to drink this regularly. Well rounded as a stout in every aspect with lots of complexity. Perfectly incorporated abv throughout. I generally am not a huge fan of beers that have hot pepper inclusions. This one however is executed perfectly. One of my favorite beers of all time, love it.

06-06-2011 15:35:53 | More by stakem
blackhawks87

3.88/5  rDev -15.1%

Thanks to Bowman2001 for this bottle. Poured into a Darkness snifter. 2011 vintage.

A- Poured straight down the middle into the glass. Looks to be very heavy liquid coming out of the bottle. Body is the color of Darth Vader's helmet, and a big beautiful brown head sits atop the beer. One of the darkest brown heads that I've seen on an imperial stout. Eventually the head fades to a nice brown ring.

S- Initial smell was identical to black olives. That's what I got for the first 30 seconds or so out of the bottle but as the beer warmed the usual suspects come out. Definite strong chocolate and roasted malt presence. Faint spiciness is noticeable within the maltiness of the nose.

T- Outstanding heavy dose of chocolate. I can definitely taste all of the ingredients that the label lists. The chile peppers especially contribute a unique flavor throughout each sip but especially on the finish.

M- Very smooth. Do not taste the 11.5% ABV at all. Extra points for the subtle spicy feeling on the back end. I wish I had another one of these to drink when its 10 below outside. Initial chocolate surge is balanced nicely by the rest of the beer.

O- This beer is delicious. I've tried many imperial stouts but this is the only one brewed with chile peppers I've had. Hope to have it again someday.

06-06-2011 02:54:07 | More by blackhawks87
shuajw

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

Decided to finally review this one after having it quite a few times. Had a few bottles of 2010 and had it on draft at 2011 Hunahpu's release. 2011 Bottle opened on 6/3/11

Appearance: Very dark with a nice tan head that lasts for a good amount of time.

Smell: Great smell, can pick up combination of coffee, vanilla and some great scents of cinammon and chili

Taste: I Picked up some coffee and chocolate with a blend of the chili flavors. Very well put together flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: I like the thickness and creaminess of this one and just the right amount of carbonation

Overall: I really enjoy this one, big stouts tend to be my favorites and this one does not dissapoint at all. One of my favorite overall beers

06-04-2011 19:17:57 | More by shuajw
HuskyinPDX

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -41.4%

25.4oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Deep Chocolatey brown with a deep brown head consisting of large bubbles.

S - Chocolate, chiles, and some coffee.

T - Strong Chiles, Chocolate, and Tobacco- like a old wet, used up cigar.

D - Mild Carbonation, oily in the mouth.

O - I was really looking forward to this one, but I was dissapointed. The ingredients are clearly present, but not in an appealing way. The wet tobacco flavor was just too much for me. The chile flavor was also present, but it didn't seem to fit.

06-01-2011 02:31:54 | More by HuskyinPDX
alleykatking

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from 750ml bottle. 2011 vintage. Thanks for the bottle JoshVandy!

A- Pours a deep black color that looks like motor oil but not quite there. One and a half finger light brown head shows good retention. Nice thick streaks of lace on the sides of the glass while drinking this one down.

S- Coffee like front of thr aroma. It comes in strong but is blended in together with a lighter semi-sweet chocolate. By the end of the front of the nose the chocolate really dominates with hints of chile to add a little spice to it. Middle of the beer showcases the there is also a chile notes quite well with vanilla backing it up and small hints of barrel notes to it. Maybe a hint of darker fruit in the backend but the chile covers it up fast along with hitns of cinnamon. Chocolate seems to be the ending aroma with there being no alcohol at all in the ending. I mean there is no alcohol noticed at all.

T- Lots of semi-sweet chocolate dominate the front of the beer with a ever so light cinnamon flavor that adds a little more depth to the beer to start off with. The chocoalte flavor slowly turns into coffee like roast by the middle and this in turn blends together very nicely with vanilla and a hint of barrel. The chile comes through for the first time in the middle of the beer giving off a little heat. Chocoalte malts make another appearance in the backend with chile peppers making a bigger flavor. The chile flavor washes out with chocoalte in the final ending with a hint of vanilla. Very light alcohol finish in the beer makes it almost not noticable.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light I thought for the overall beer. Chile, chocoalte, hints of vanilla are left on the palate. Aftertaste is a hint of alcohol, chile, vanilla, and loads of semi-sweet chocolate. The flavors of this beer glide from one to another effortlessly. A very well balanced and well flavored beer overall. No off flavors at all with maybe the chocoalte getting a little cloying if drinking a whole bottle of this I would think. No alcohol drying to speak of when drinking this beer but there is a nice chile heat added to the backend of the beer.

O- This beer I thought was fantastic. The flavors blended so well together in the beer that I couldn't stop drinking it. A overall wonderful beer that I would love to have again. No alcohol heat or flavor makes this one a dangerous drinker which is my only negative aspect of this beer. A nice Cigar City beer like all the rest I have had from them.

05-31-2011 05:05:38 | More by alleykatking
CuriousMonk

4.61/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bomber into tulip glass. In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. The base recipe is Marshal Zhukov Imperial Stout. It is aged on pasilla and ancho peppers as well as vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. Pours a pitch black body with a half thick, dense and creamy, very dark brown head that leaves nice lacing throughout. Aroma has lots of vanilla coffee, roast, some really pronounced cocoa and nips, hops, and spices. Some vanilla, chile peppers, and caramel. Flavor is similar and very rich. Lots of chocolate and cocoa nibs, caramel, vanilla, roasts, and coffee. Some light chiles, smoke, dark fruits, wood, and cinnamon spice. Finishes very rich, but fairly bitter from the hops, roasts, and cocoa nibs. Slowly dries with some vanilla, earth, and plenty of chocolate in a lengthy, rich aftertaste. Thick and sticky, yet smooth body with a soft, light carbonation. There was some light lingering heat in the finish. Overall, a really nice Imperial Stout that I went great lengths to acquire. Lots of rich flavors, very roasty, well hopped, and definitely has some pretty cool vanilla-chile things going on. Good one.

05-28-2011 03:27:12 | More by CuriousMonk
hopsbreath

Oregon

Review taken from most recent batch.

2011 batch - 5.0

Thanks to black13 for sharing some of this at a recent tasting. Also thanks to urwithdave and coastiesimon for hooking me up with bottles of this. 750ml bottle split into a pair of Portsmouth snifters and shared with TulipSnifter.

A: Black sludge pouring into my glass. After the heavy pour, it's as black as they come with a big light brown (not dark tan) head. Top notch lacing. One of the sexiest looking stouts I've ever seen. 5/5

S: Like sniffing an open bottle of vanilla extract. Banana Cream pie but not in a Belgian yeast sense. A dessert in a glass is what I'm now expecting. 5/5

T: Load's of vanilla, cookie crumbs, and decadent chocolate fudge heavy on the milk fat. It should be noted that I can't discern the chiles at all. A diabetic coma waiting to happen in a death by sweets kind of way. There's a place for that kind of beer, and tonight it's in my glass! 5/5

M: Huge full body that comes off thick and chewy. Despite the massive head, the carbonation is kept to a minimum and this stays smooth and silky. 5/5

O: A beer I will trade for every year. I've never had the barrel aged version of this beer, but I am hard pressed to believe this can get any better. As far as non-barrel aged stouts go, this is as elite as it gets. I've never given a perfect five for a big stout... Until now. The 2010 batch was superb. I don't know how, but this is better. One of those beers that simply doesn't need to be aged. Get it, and drink it, NOW! 5/5

2010 Batch - 4.47

Thanks to Arbitrator for sharing a bottle of this at a tasting the first time I had it. I knew that I absolutely HAD to secure a bottle of my own after sipping on a couple ounces. That way, my wife and I could sit down with a snifter each and truly appreciate this beast. That is exactly what we are doing at the moment!

Viscous motor oil liquid on the pour, this stuff literally "glug-glugs" into our matching pair of Portsmouth snifters. Side note - I need to get my oil changed in my car. Even the head on this is as dark as I've ever seen. My wife referred to the head as "chocolate mousse" in appearance. I wish I could be original and come up with my own descriptor, but that really is a perfect mental image. I do want to comment that there appears to be a touch of red highlights to the head. Black as pitch, thick as used motor oil, and the darkest head I've ever seen spells perfect score on appearance in my book.

Raw cocoa on the nose is accompanied by the vanilla bean. The big coffee that can usually be found on big stouts is missing here. Maybe a little chili is there as well, but that might just be power of suggestion. Also missing is any whiff of alcohol. Try as I may to find the ETOH, I simply can't do it.

Wow! There is a TON going on taste wise. Chocolate doesn't get any more bitter than this. Strong nuances of vanilla, spicy chili pepper, and what seems to be a bit of lactose culture show up in a supporting role. It should be mentioned that the chili isn't tasted as much as its felt. The back of the tongue and soft palate feel the warmth on the finish. Unique and delicious.

Ramnuts hosted the tasting where I tried this the first time. In his own words..."I can feel it coating my tongue!" Well said Frank. I can't say it any better myself.

This is a big beer that needs to be savored. That said, I did not feel as if my 12+ ounce pour was over-bearing or heavy. I possibly could have had another, but the one was enough. A simply fantastic big stout that might just have no equal. It would be an absolute travesty if this never gets brewed again. One can only hope that this will be a regular release. If it is bottled next year let me be the first...ISO: Hunahpus '10.

05-27-2011 02:59:45 | More by hopsbreath
HopsSchnapps

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

750 ml brown bottle. 2011 Edition. This beer pours a super thick bad @ss used motor oil black. The ever expanding head is tan in color but is also black. I don't know if I've ever seen a head this dark in color. The aroma has some dark fruits, nice spice coming out , vanilla, and spicy pepper. It also has a big bready quality.

The taste at first is like a chocolate milkshake. A lot of roasted flavors coming in with some spice and spicy flavors. All its parts seem to work together perfectly while not being over the top. The palate is rich and creamy.

I still can't believe how much this tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It really reminds me of the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3 and if anyone has tried that then you'll now what I'm talking about. A huge world class Imperial Stout.

05-26-2011 16:17:54 | More by HopsSchnapps
betsona

Idaho

4.58/5  rDev +0.2%

Many thanks to alleykatking for sharing some of the 2011 version. Thanks again for this treat.

A- Pours a motor oil black with the scantiest deep mocha brown head. Wisps of the head remained for a minute or two. No lacing on the glass as to be expected.

S- It was like waking up and having some flavored coffee. Even before I brought it to my nose, whiffs of chocolate and hazelnut came through. The primary smell however was the coffee.

T- Follows up on the nose quite well. Powerful coffee at the end with hints of sweet chocolate at the beginning. The coffee has some vanilla and cinnamon/hazelnut characters that are more minimal than the coffee and chocolate.

M- Thick viscous body with good carbonation. There was some slight burn at the back end. It wasn't an alcohol burn because the alcohol wasn't noticeable.

O- An extremely tasty brew that I would gladly seek out again. I am glad I had a smaller pour (5oz) because it was so rich that I would have had a hard time finishing much more. Very tasty and well worth the hype. Possibly my favorite RIS.

05-23-2011 16:21:19 | More by betsona
beerpirates

4.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Vintage 2010
Poured from a 750ml bottle into my lost abbey stemware glass.

A - This pours out about as thick and black as I've ever seen. A thick 2 plus finger dark mocha head forms and slowly settles into a
layer of mocha foam and lots of lacing.

S - This smells interesting, a subtle smokiness, cocoa, vanilla, roasted malts, and spicy chiles. Smells of a stout.

T - Taste is similar to the nose. Starts with a bit a sweet chocolaty goodness, into a bitter roasted malt/coffee backed by some vanilla and cinnamon notes, and finishes with a touch of spicy chiles.

M - This feels medium bodied but really creamy and smooth, slightly hot from the chiles. Carbonation is perfect which compliments the beer nicely.

D - A sipper for sure. This is a heavy stout with many different layers.

05-22-2011 19:38:29 | More by beerpirates