Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

3.75/5  rDev -18.1%

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%

3.86/5  rDev -15.7%

Black black black. Super dark brown head. Up front aroma of vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and caramel. Flavor is more vanilla, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, citrus, and some roasted oats. Big sweet finish, good carbonation. Wish this one had the chili presence I’ve read about, probably my fault for sitting on it for so long.

4.48/5  rDev -2.2%

4.42/5  rDev -3.5%

-2012 vintage-

A - oily black in color with a warm, cocoa-colored head and lacing.

S - Dark chocolate upfront followed by rich, roasted malt. I also get a bit of chili pepper and cinnamon in the end. As it warms it starts to sweeten with vanilla and some coffee bean/molasses.

T - There's a nice smoky heat in the finish, but it does not resemble chipotle peppers...
overall, it's smooth and velvety, especially for the complexity and high abv. As it warms, there is a nice ebb and flow between the flavors of chili, cocoa, and cinnamon. This beer really starts to shine is it warms. It takes on qualities of mole and espresso.

M - It's oily and a bit thinner in mouthfeel then I expected. It's still chewy, which is nice, but it's not as viscus as I would have expected.

O - I had very high expectations for this beer. I probably built it up too much, but it's a damn nice stout with a flavor profile which I wish was more prevalent in the craft beer world. I loved "cocoa mole", so I was hoping this would knock my socks off... It did for the most part. It's a shame it's so hard to get a bottle or two. I would like to try it fresh now that I've had it with the better part of a year on it.

4.51/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Batch one. Here we go, kids...

A- pours jet black with a three finger dark, dark brown head that quickly fades. My god, if the head stuck around for more than a few seconds, it would be the most beautiful beer I've ever seen in my life.

S- chocolate, vanilla, a little bit of heat...not bad, though the aromas are a little muted after nearly three years

T- the vanilla and cacao is still there, and creates a hell of a luscious, sweet, well-balanced beer with absolutely no heat. Dear lord. And actually, I'm getting some heat in the finish. Awesome

M- you can cut this one with a knife, but it better be pretty damn sharp. Motor oil!

O- this one is worth the hype. It aged fine, though I think fresh it could be amazing

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing