Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

A privilege to try thanks to drink1121.

Maybe the blackest brew out of the bottle I've ever seen, with a denseness to back it up. Large well formed dark dark chocolate head sits on top for quite a while, finally settles to a nice collar and dense patch in the middle.

Given the description on the bottle and the wildfire reputation it's gotten, I wasn't altogether sure what to expect. On the nose it's roasty, dark, and almost sharp. Blackened grains give off a bitter aroma that's deepened by some very interesting smells - dark chocolate, leather, tree bark, and kind of an old smell of dark wood paneled rooms long hung with tobacco smoke and years of winter fires burned in the fireplace. Complex and interesting. Hard to nail down.

Taste is similar, but a little more distinct. Definite strong smoky tobacco overrides chocolate (but it's still in there), with a sensation like a partially smoked pipe or cigar, some smoke already infused in the tobacco flavor, but without being too smoky at all at the same time. Coarse toasted bread holds the foundation, but it's enhanced with a lot of damp bitterness and and a dry raspy warmth, likely from the peppers. Becomes more bitter at the end, where the rawness of the cocoa also shows through with some more hints of leather, earthy soil and tree bark. Some hops are definitely present at the finish, but don't stand out as much on their own. Vanilla seems really mild and only shows some in airy flavors left after the sip. So much flavor piled on top of itself that it doesn't quite all show through, but it doesn't necessarily need to.

Feel is really quite ideal as a compliment to the flavors and style. Strong and full, but not too thick or too dense. Seems to be as strong as it needs to be without being too much. Not quite chewy, but with a rather enormous presence. Carbonation tingles and cuts the body slightly, with the bitterness drying it out some at the end.

Drinks nicely. A bit sharp up front, with very little alcohol showing through but plenty of bitterness and dry dark notes to keep an edge on it. Very little sweetness is evidenced, but there must be some in there somewhere to keep it balanced. Each sip improves the complexity and overall experience. Strong, and definitely not for drinking a lot of with any sense of regularity, but a fantastic one to have and to try. Excellent overall.

lightindarkness, Apr 22, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

multiple BAs have provided bottles of this beer, so I will just say "thank you Florida BAs" every trade has been awesome. 75cl bottle split between a close friend and I.

a- seriously, it pours so thick it almost doesn't look like liquid coming out of the bottle. a ridiculously dark brown head eventually reduced to a spotty film and collar. the lacing was light from the little head that was produce but the beer coats the glass like few other stouts. just a menacingly dark beer.

s- huge roasted character dominates the nose. its difficult to define what else is in there because it smells so strong of Starbucks like coffee. not you standard cup of foldgers but more like the newest vanilla whatchamachino. it could be a bit more complex and clean though, to be nit picky

t- really a massive beer. the huge roast hasn't gone anywhere, but the cocoa nibs and other forms of chocolate are nearly just as big and doesn't let the coffee dominate. the vanilla isn't extremely noticeable until it gets to room temperature. at first it tastes more like it's been in an oak barrel. the big ABV is incredibly well masked. as the flavors stay in you mouth the chiles create a bit of heat on your tongue and back of the throat, but I couldn't detect them anywhere while sipping the beer.

m- super sticky, thick and coating stuff. very subtle carbo adds to the desert-like feel of the beer.

d- one of those especially delicious beers that keeps you reaching for the glass. nothing manages to overwhelm and my glass was gone all to quick. good to know I have more :)

Freethyhops, Apr 22, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Decided to share this with a couple of buddies, as the cap was leaking slightly and I didn't want the beer to suffer. Poured into my New Belgium globe at around 50 degrees.

A - Black. Tar. Pours like old engine sludge, with zero light getting through. No real head to speak of, got a bit from swirling my glass. This beer literally coats the inside of your glass, not unlike the syrup in the glass bottles at a Dennys. Evil.

S - Very roasty. Tons of chocolate. Slight smokiness (perhaps from the chilies) and slight vanilla. Complex, but it's difficult to make out the individual aromas.

T - Dark Chocolate. Sweet, but not overly so. Very roasty, nice amount of depth was added by the vanilla and the cinnamon. Not as much chili flavor as I expected, more of a tingling in the back of my throat.

M - Thick and sticky. Completely coats the inside of your mouth. Decent carbonation and no where near as "boozy" as I would have expected. Masks its 11.5% well.

D - Glad I shared it with 2 buddies, would not have made it through by myself. Flavors are really well balanced and towards the end it went down easier and easier, but I was happy with my single glass. Definitely a sipper.

Overall a very interesting and memorable beer. Would be happy to find a few more of these. Great to share with non-beer drinkers to showcase just what beer/brewers are capable of.

jsanford, Apr 21, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Pours like old, dirty, chunky and sludgy oil that's been run a couple thousand miles too long through a diesel engine, with about a finger and a half of the darkest head I think I've ever seen on a beer. It is the color of extremely dark cocoa powder, and is nice and fluffy. As I write this, it's disappeared--all but a fine ring around the edge of the glass and a nice filmy fluffy foam across the top. Placid and still. Nothing as I hold it to the light--not even a hint, though as I swirl it in the glass the head seems to have a slight cherry or mahogany tone. Very slight amounts of patchy lacing.

Smell: Smelling something that looks like the oil I just changed a week ago can be a little disturbing. Smells of chocolate, mint, coffee and raspberry syrup--reminds me of the chocolates behind the counter when I worked at a Godiva, which is a memory that is just about as diametrically opposed to changing the oil in your car as you can get, I think. There's some bitter hop and burnt malt notes, flavored by sour cherries, raspberries, and limes. Smells slightly like breakfast as well--toast, pancakes, bacon, and slight smoke. Slight blueberries are present in the nose, as well as faint coffee. Vanilla ice cream is heavily in the background, and smells very much like a milkshake made with thick whole milk and just a bit of vanilla bean. A lot lighter and more sour/abrasive than the taste.

Taste: Whew, this one is heavy. I feel drunk having taken the first sip. That's not to say it's hot--there's only slight hotness--and there's really only slight alcohol apparent in the taste, but it's so rich. In a way, the taste is very similar to the smell. I'm getting creamy chocolate truffles still (which carry through to the aftertaste), as well as plenty of smoky, burnt toast and meat notes, and that creamy milkshake is still definitely there (though with far less vanilla than in the nose). And the cream is extremely heavy in this, which is interesting since the first notes you get in a sip are the bitter hops, burnt toast, and a bit of lime and raspberry sourness, as well as a syrupy note, sort of a cross between pancake syrup and coffee syrup. The aftertaste is creamy as well as providing bitter hop notes and very very dark chocolate truffles. The rest of the brew is dominated by cream, even when this is flavored by the heavy chocolate truffle notes--particularly coffee, raspberry, and dark chocolate truffles. It's now pointed out to me by a friend that the heat is more chili-like than alcohol like. I guess that makes sense, and now I'm tasting that a bit more in this brew.

Mouthfeel: I'm not initially impressed by the mouthfeel here, though I'm certainly going to be playing around with this number a bit as it warms. At times I think it could use more carbonation, but I think this would be a difficult brew to play around with. The carbonation that is there is voluminous, but composed of extremely small bubbles that disappear as you hold the sip in your mouth. After that, this brew is extremely odd. There's a very long lasting chocolate truffle aftertaste, and the thickness of the brew sticks around. A lot of times I would describe the mouthfeel on a thicker beer as "chewy." This one is creamy throughout, which is very odd with the heavy carbonation out front. And I mean creamy--once you finish the sip the cream lingers, coating your mouth, as if you had just drank heavy whipping cream, texture and all. It makes this one really hard to rate. That all said, I suppose the carbonation level is about right, though wow, what an interesting brew to try to work with on this.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, and I never would have guessed what the ABV was on this. An interesting and truly great brew, and by far the best I've had from Cigar City. The flavors and scents at times blend in rather strange ways, but it's a delicious brew and overall works well. Major kudos for creativity.

afausser, Apr 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

Received this brew from ihaveyourkids and thought I better open sooner than later since there was a bit leaking around the cap. I've been pumped to try this one since I heard that it contained chilies and vanilla. Boner. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Appearance- Literally glugs an intensely dark black, perhaps the blackest and thickest looking beer I've ever had the pleasure of looking at. A beautiful one finger dark brownish red head forms atop the beer maintaining a ridiculously awesome cap and collar along with a bit of random spotty lacing.
Smell- The smell is a lot like Marshal Zhukov's as the beer is insanely roasted with tons of big malty char. Loads of chocolate and caramel spew out of the beer and are accentuated by a big bouquet of earthy vanilla bean. Not quite as hoppy as the regular version (maybe the chocolate and/or vanilla tone it down a bit) but I still get a nice herbally/pine sort of hoppiness. Maybe a touch of smoky pepper in the nose but nothing extreme.
Taste- Starts with an intensely charred roasted bitterness that is somewhere between harsh and earthy but still really good. The chocolate is very raw and earthy and mixes well with the vanilla bean. Speaking of, the vanilla is fairly light and sort of just does its own thing. I definitely don't get any cinnamon and the chilies are very light on the tongue in the aftertaste. The beer is plenty sweet though as it MAYBE gets a touch cloying at times. The finish is full of caramel with a fleeting glimpse of some sort of mocha coffee thing.
Mouthfeel- Big and thick and rich with an extremely creamy feel that is velvety and lush. The carbonation is light and spot on... Thankfully the slight cap slip didn't harm the beer's feel one bit.
Drinkability- Really tasty beer that is right in my wheelhouse of flavors. The only thing I wish about this beer is that the chilies were kicked up quite a bit. I want more of that heat on the back of my throat. Other than that, not much else to complain about. Really enjoyed this beer and thanks to Joe for sending it my way!

younger35, Apr 20, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Received this bottle in a trade -- thanks. Poured into a snifter. Beer is noticably thick as I pour, leaves legs on the sides of the glass. Beer is pitch black, black black. You can't see through it at the corners to through the thinnest part of the beer. Its just not happening. Forms a brown head, overall thin of smallish to medium sized bubbles and it leaves some lacing on the glass - although I think the alcohol is hindering the lacing overall.

The aroma is surprisingly spicy. I can get some alcohol, very slight, but I can definitely smell some chilis. This makes me nervous slightly but not too. The more I smell the more subtle characters of sweetness and a slight chocolatey bitterness come through. Smells good.

Beer is full bodied in the mouth. There is not a spicy / chile flavor as I was expecting in the beer after the initial aroma. There is a lot of roast in the back of the palate and nice carbonation / connectivity on the palate. There is some sweetness up front and nice chocolate based / roast based bitterness on the trailing end. No aftertaste to note and drinkability is high. I enjoyed it. It was complicated and some of the complexity is lost by the size but overall a very good stout.

drabmuh, Apr 19, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Big thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a inky black color with a brown, small head. The beer is oily and coats the sides of the glass. The aroma is roasted and burnt malt with dark fruit. The flavor is cinnamon, dark fruit, roasted/burnt malt, semi-sweet chocolate and pepper. The mouthfeel and thick and chewy and the carbonation is pretty low.

Mora2000, Apr 19, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours absolutely pitch black, ridiculously dense and thick, with a gorgeous mocha head. The head slowly settles down into a thin but dense cap, with excellent stickage and fantastic walls of lacing. Nose is roasty, light notes of smooth espresso and dark cocoa, bit of tobacco, and a mix of dark fruits and licorice. The taste, however, lives up to the expectations. Huge, deep chocolate and beautiful roastiness up front segue into big dark fruit, blackstrap molasses, more chocolate, and a nice smokiness. Alcohol emerges with a bit of booziness right before the finish, smoky pepper heat, and a firm, sharp, roasty bitterness that carries hints of burnt sugar. Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, decadent, with a firm underlying carbonation.

Anthony1, Apr 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours super dark black, hardly any brown highlights in the light. The head is also a very dark brown, however, sadly it only rises about half a inch and is gone right away. Light lacing.

The aroma is on the lighter side but its vey complex, wish it was a little more robust. There is so much going on here, on the front roasted malts, almost smokey, then small notes of vanilla, and cocoa. The smoke might also be presenting as light ancho chiles.

The taste is pretty good, lots going on as well. Lots of roasted malts on the front, cocoa nibs that are incredibly sweet with a hint of the chiles, very nice and unique. The finish is super sweet. Great to have a stout that isn't dominated by coffee, there's no coffee at all and its refreshing.

The feel is nice and coating.

Oveall, this is really good, a taste that keeps you guessing. Its really hard to get an exact point of something, keeps you guessing.

jrallen34, Apr 18, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to jrallen34 for popping this open during a tasting.

A - Jet black, very big stout looking. Very small brown head that dissipated quicly, not leaving much lacing, but a nice ring of brown bubbles on the edges.

S - Very subtle scents. Was expecting a stronger aroma from this, but it's pretty subdued. Nice roasted malts, hints of vanilla, and nice sweet cocoa. As it warms up, it becomes much more brownie like, very pleasant.

T - Little bit of burn on something, must be the chilis, although i'm not actually picking up that actual taste. Nice chocolaty malts, impressive vanilla notes, this is all nicely subtle and complex. Exceptionally smooth, with all flavors blending together well.

M - Very smooth, full bodied. Nicely thick.

D - I'll give it a very drinkable for a 11.5%. Don't get any alcohol, and none of the flavors are overpowering.

AgentZero, Apr 18, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -16.8%

Lightly chilled bottle into a small glass... Many, many refills off this one. Thanks to HonusWagner for the trade.

My bottle was filled right to the brim and it leaked in transit, but it was still carbed and tasted great.

A: Pours one of the deepest, richest blacks I've ever seen in an imperial stout. It's capped by a thick inch of dark mocha head, with very solid retention, especially for its ABV. The final product is a nice collar on the brew. It's mildly leggy in swirls, leaving some residue on the sides of the glass.

S: Cocoa, vanilla, coffee, anise. A mild aroma of roasted, even charred, peppers comes through.

T: Very rich and vibrant. Initially I was disappointed by restrained spiciness, but it grows on me after a few sips. It's very cocoa-y on the initial taste, with a nice assortment of molasses, coffee, and very light vanilla (and that's only because I'm looking for it) complementing the flavor. I get mild anise near the finish. There's a mild peppery bite that carries well into the aftertaste (where I pick up some char, but not enough to complain about). Absolutely a top-notch flavor. Lots of things going on here, but the balance between the peppers, cocoa, and anise is very inviting.

M: Full-bodied in flavor, though not super-viscous. A mild alcohol warmth in the finish is all that hints at the ABV. The flavors are oddly integrated; at times, they're very smooth and play off each other well, but some sips are dominated by cocoa and others by char. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's a flaw. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of thick, syrupy stouts -- i.e. they won't automatically get a 5.0 on mouthfeel just for having a lot of residual sugar -- but when the flavor has this much going on, I'm impressed.

D: This is HEAVY. I tackled the bottle alone, and it took me over 6 hours to finish. It made me so full that it was uncomfortable. Maybe I should have split it, but since it leaked in transit (a major ding for this), I had no choice. Anyway, it's tough to finish and rather expensive, not a thrilling combination.

EDIT: I've tried additional bottles since the first. This beer varies a lot from bottle to bottle. I downgraded the appearance and taste scores slightly to accommodate the other ones I tried. I recommend it, but with reservations.

Arbitrator, Apr 16, 2010

750mL bottle.

Pours a spectacular suck-the-light-out-of-the-room black underneath one of the darkest brown heads I've ever seen in a beer. There are some boozy legs on the side as well.

The aroma is big and roasty with lots of dark chocolate malts and espresso. There is also a noticeable sweetness from the vanilla as well as some tobacco/leather notes and a hint of the peppers, though not much.

The taste is just as roasty with maybe a tad less sweetness to balance things out. Chocolate malts, maybe a hint of vanilla, but what stands out more is the pepper in the finish. Spicy, boozy and chocolaty all in one.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with low, but sufficient, carbonation and a very roasty character at all. Very, very dessert-like.

Having had the bourbon version last week, I think this is probably a step below, but it's still a great beer with tons and tons of things going on. Certainly a sipper so not incredibly drinkable but I wasn't expecting it to be. Great stuff.

gford217, Apr 16, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Cigar City hasn't been too kind to me. While I really appreciate the chance to try them, neither of the Zhukov blends were all that impressive (unless you like 750 ml of tasty, liquid volcanic ash) and the rest of the lineup has ranged from "meh" to "bleh."

But, considering how this brew has shot up the charts, I had to have me some honey-puss! Thanks beeruser for this and the awesome shirts!

I sat down and prepared for this tasting by heating and jostling the beer by tossing it into my dryer in order replicate the tasting conditions that the brewer prefers. I then poured myself 2.3 oz (it almost touched my lips before I realized it was a mere 2.15 oz or so. I quickly corrected the amount).

Gorgeous beer. Stand-up-and-applaud worthy. Lustrous and black, it absorbs light and defecates darkness. Dark, dark, dark brown head ... one of the darkest I can recall, and it settles down to a pleasant dark foam crust.

The aroma lets me know this isn't going to be the volcanic char ash bomb that Zhukov was. Cocoa AND dark chocolate on the nose, along with some dark fruits ... some interesting roasted malt/licorice ... maybe a touch of vanilla and molasses. Thankfully, no pepper/spiceiness to the aroma! I was not looking forward to that component of the beer.

Taste is also very, very good. Strong chocolate mixed with sweet malt mixed with a roasted background mixed with a lingering acrid aftertaste sprinkled with a hint of dark fruit/anise/licorice/molasses. And vanilla. I wish the vanilla was a bit more prominent, as it might liven things up even more.

Nice silky, deeply thick mouthfeel. Not as drinkable of a beer (of its kind) as Darkness, Black Tuesday, or a few others, but an excellent brew. Great job Cigar City.

Overlord, Apr 15, 2010

Poured Black like the stallion of midnight and stuff. I noticed a light tan fizz on top that disappeared fast, like Grease Lightning. Smelled different not like the uncle you rarely see, but more like a Mexican pinata before it is filled, not really but it sounds fun. I guess the smells are from the chiles? The taste is blended nicely with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon, chocolate (unsweet), the blend of chiles and finishes quite dry.

-Bye

jbone78, Apr 14, 2010

Believe the hype my friends, this beer is the real deal. Next year's release party is sure to be a mad house once this beer gets around a bit more via trades. I luckily came home with 12 bottles, most for trading.

The beer pours as dark as night, as some have said, like motor oil. Very little head, what remained was a small carmel colored lacing at the top. Smells are overwhelming served at room temperature. Everything from coffee, cinnamon, and chille. At first taste, almost all I got was the coffee, with a hint of chille. The warmer it got, the more complex the flavors. It has a smooth mouthfeel, and I didn't think the alcohol really stood out. As this ages, it's going to be outstanding.

smellody, Apr 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Another bottle from Doodler. What a guy!

A: Pours very thick and oily - very dark in color. A thin tan head sits atop the brew and a moderate amount of lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S: Nice notes of coffee, mocha, chocolate, and a little vanilla in the nose. I did not really pick up the peppers in the aroma.

T: A solid dose of coffee malt, chocolate, and coco nibs. Hints of bitter hops in the finish and I finally feel the peppers kick in with a little heat and spiciness at the end of each sip. This is a dark chocolate dessert in a glass with a kick!

M: A nice full body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth going down - hides the alcohol quite well.

D: This is a dangerously drinkable RIS; the 11.5% abv is going to sneak up on you and you won't know it until it's too late. I'll admit that I think this brew's rating is being inflated a bit by hype, but it's still a solid A for sure.

MrDanno96, Apr 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Wow...talk about motor oil. This is the thickest pour I've ever seen. Pours a pitch black...no head at all - just a collar of deep brown and some sparse bubbles on the surface of the glass. No lacing on the glass.

S - Tons of coffee on the first sniff. Alcohol is noticeable, a bit of chile pepper and cinnamon. Coffee definitley dominates, but the other aromas blend in nicely. Some dark chocolate blends in almost as an afterthought. Peppers must be more prominant than I detect by smelling because I can feel them lingering in my nose long after pulling my nose away from the glass. As it warms a bit, I pick up a bit of maple too. Really nice.

T - Wow...cinnamon up front and lingering throughout....combines really well together. Reminds me of some kind of liquored up dessert coffee drink. A bit of caramel...just a hint of pepper, more in the aftertaste and feel than taste, although gets stronger in the flavor when the beer warms up. Chocolate is also more pronounced in the flavor than the aroma for me. Really, this is like the greatest dessert coffee I've ever had. Flavors combine together really well.

M - Definitely full bodied but not as syrupy as the pour would indicate. Carbonation is low, but with enough to give a bit of tingle. A light peppery feel (but no heat), some alcohol warmth too, but hidden pretty well.

D - Really, really nice impy stout. Hype on this one is pretty justified. Wow - great beer. Really need to let this one warm up a bit to really bring out the flavors and aromas. Was excellent when a bit too cold out of the fridge, but absolutely amazing after warming up a bit.

portia99, Apr 11, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Cigar City Never Ceases to Impress!

A: Motor Oil Black, Sticks to the Glass, Tar Pit with a tan frothy head that hunkers down low around the edge of the glass.

S: Plumb, Raison, Malty, Roasty, Chocolaty, Caramel, Alcohol, Subtle Molasses hints/

T: Just tasting this beer lets me know that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Possibly The Holy Grail of Stouts? This beer should be in a genre of it's own, with it's Intense Dark Chocolate & Roasted Grains, Almost a woody earthy background. Slight alcohol burn. or is it? Suddenly you will feel a burn in the back of your throught that soon spreads to the rest of your mouth. This beer is alive and won't go down with out a fight.

MF: Creamy, moderate Carbonation. Hot Pepper tingle.

D: (More, give me More. Now!) obviously not for the faint of heart or die hard BMC drinkers whom would never appreciate the artwork within the glass.

rmolledo, Apr 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Much thanks to Roger and Tim for this one, you guys rock!

750ml poured into a Stone IRS Tulip

Ah, the fabled Hunahpu...Will it live up to the hype or is it a product of hype and limited supply?

A-Holy s**t! This beer really does pour like motor oil! Imagine pulling the plug on your oil pan after 5,000 miles and you've got the idea. Pours pitch black with a nice size head that is sort of a mocha color with a tinge of red thrown in. The only knock is the lack of lacing. Not too much at all, otherwise this would be a 5 on appearance.

S-Delicious roasted chocolaty malt with a bit of molasses, bourbon, vanilla, coffee and tobacco. Smells great.

T-Malty chocolate quickly followed up with sweet vanilla notes and molasses, a slight tobacco taste, and hints of dark roast coffee and cinnamon. The peppers come into play in the middle and become more pronounced in the finish, yet they remain a bit understated just politely teasing the taste buds. Wow, this is simply amazing. And this is 11.5%??? I can't tell it at all. The alcohol is extremely well concealed. This is not a hot beer at all.

M-Viscous and full bodied. Chewy, yet velvety smooth. Coats the palate thoroughly. Carbonation is perfect for the style. I don't know what else to say other than this is one of the most exceptional mouthfeels I've ever gotten from any beer.

D-Despite being a huge beast of a beer and its a sipper, it goes down almost dangerously easy. Highly drinkable for such a big beer.

One of the best beers I've ever had period. It ranks right up there with Abyss.

Well done CC!!!

Lerxst, Apr 10, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Huge thanks to Chris @ Freshbeer for opening this one during a recent outing.

We poured a small but decent measure into a snifter. It looked thick as all get-out, with some lazy foam.

Not as sweet and alcoholic-smelling as I remembered when I had it from a fresh growler. It's taken on more of that signature Cigar City cigar-box aroma, along with the requisite big chocolate and coffee aromas.

Again, I get big bitter chocolate and coffee. Chilies are still there, but somewhat less strong than I noted when I first had this. It seems less hoppy too, but I think I prefer it this way, with that deep dark chocolate taste and cured tobacco, with just hints of chile and hops.

Once again, we're dealing with a thick, oily mouthfeel.

Oddly enough, it seems somehow more potent than it did before, even though I smell and taste less alcohol. My modest portion (though I admit, I had a second modest portion) hit me like a jackhammer. Drinkable within this context, but I could in no way drain the entire bottle. Excellent for sharing.

Patrick999, Apr 09, 2010

Let me start off by saying the night I drank this beer, it was the most amazing beer tasting night of my life. We (urwithdave and gtreid) started off the night by drinking a Kate The Great, followed by the Hunahpu, then a Darkness, a KBS and a Darklord, holy stout. But I am reveiwing the Hunahpu. What an amazing beer, the pour was jet black with the head a red in color, almost evil looking. Smell was malty, with coffee, cocoa and a faint smell of the peppers. You taste chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon followed by a subtle bite of the peppers. Very thick almost like you could eat it. I could easily drink this beer every day, if my pocketbook would allow it.

mrstevens, Apr 08, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Received via trade with Seblitje- thanks a ton...been wanting to try this one for a while!!

a: pours a menacing thick black with a orangeish/reddish/brown head. I have never seen this color on a head- I assume it has to do with the peppers. A thin layer of the head retains itself throughout the glass and leaves dark bubbles on the glass as it goes down. As I observe the head, I notice cool designs of swirls from the contrasting shades of color

S:the front is a huge malty profile with molasses, cocoa, and coffee notes which is followed by a noticeable hint of peppers, the aroma is complex and takes on more character as it heats up

T: vanilla and molasses on the fronts followed by a huge chocolate profile as the peppers make an appearance towards the back of the palate. The finish is long and sweet and leaves a heat from the peppers. There isn't one flavor that dominates the palate, but so many flavors that harmonize quite well with each other.

MF: wickedly thick and viscous, a meal in a glass, very creamy on the palate

D: this is a luxuriously rich beverage with a high level of complexity. It is certainly worthy of hype as this beer is ssublime

homebrew311, Apr 07, 2010

I've had this beer multiple times seeing as I live about 15 minutes from Cigar City. Poured into my CC tulip.

A- Black like motor oil. The thickest beer iv'e ever poured.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and hints of vanilla and chili peppers.

T- One word : perfect

M- Like I said before, motor oil.

D- Very drinkable for a stout of such high alcohol percentage. Perfect brew to share with a good friend.

PLAID813, Apr 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -14%

Large capped bottle brought straight from the brewery by stoutsnipas, thanks!

Tried two different bottles, and unfortunately, some quality control problems seem somewhat obvious.
The dark brown, but not quite black color shows a very faint head, quite different than the gusher a friend had described. Little to no head is formed.
Aroma is quite pleasant, bittersweet chocolate abound, with some coffee, molasses, spices, a hint of bourbon.
The mouthfeel suffers from the underwhelming carbonation, but still feels velvety.
Flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, some spices. Good, but the limited carbonation, unfortunately suggestive of some quality control issues does limit the overall enjoyment.

brdc, Apr 06, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

This is my first of 2 bottles from a trade with Dstructo. 750mL bottle filled to the cap line, literally < 5mm of space between liquid and cap.

The beer pours out dark brown and opaque with a foam that is at first reddish-tan color, fading to mocha color. Thick thick head, leaving a layer of foam that never dissipates to the liquid line. The beer smells outstanding, an obvious perfect score. Dark roasted malts and chocolate, some vanilla and other unknown spice, probably cinnamon based on the label. Really loved the nose.

The taste is nearly as good as the aroma. It starts with chocolate and sweet malts roasted to the edge of burning. Behind that you get the vanilla/cinnamon flavors, and finally some pepper burn in the aftertaste. Ancho and pasilla chiles to be exact.

Thick bodied, just as it should be, matching the huge flavors with a huge mouthfeel. Overall an excellent stout, I loved the addition of the chiles and cacao nibs.

TurdFurgison, Apr 06, 2010