Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)

Poured Black like the stallion of midnight and stuff. I noticed a light tan fizz on top that disappeared fast, like Grease Lightning. Smelled different not like the uncle you rarely see, but more like a Mexican pinata before it is filled, not really but it sounds fun. I guess the smells are from the chiles? The taste is blended nicely with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon, chocolate (unsweet), the blend of chiles and finishes quite dry.

-Bye

jbone78, Apr 14, 2010

Believe the hype my friends, this beer is the real deal. Next year's release party is sure to be a mad house once this beer gets around a bit more via trades. I luckily came home with 12 bottles, most for trading.

The beer pours as dark as night, as some have said, like motor oil. Very little head, what remained was a small carmel colored lacing at the top. Smells are overwhelming served at room temperature. Everything from coffee, cinnamon, and chille. At first taste, almost all I got was the coffee, with a hint of chille. The warmer it got, the more complex the flavors. It has a smooth mouthfeel, and I didn't think the alcohol really stood out. As this ages, it's going to be outstanding.

smellody, Apr 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle from Doodler. What a guy!

A: Pours very thick and oily - very dark in color. A thin tan head sits atop the brew and a moderate amount of lacing coats the sides of the glass.

S: Nice notes of coffee, mocha, chocolate, and a little vanilla in the nose. I did not really pick up the peppers in the aroma.

T: A solid dose of coffee malt, chocolate, and coco nibs. Hints of bitter hops in the finish and I finally feel the peppers kick in with a little heat and spiciness at the end of each sip. This is a dark chocolate dessert in a glass with a kick!

M: A nice full body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Pretty smooth going down - hides the alcohol quite well.

D: This is a dangerously drinkable RIS; the 11.5% abv is going to sneak up on you and you won't know it until it's too late. I'll admit that I think this brew's rating is being inflated a bit by hype, but it's still a solid A for sure.

MrDanno96, Apr 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +5.7%

750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Wow...talk about motor oil. This is the thickest pour I've ever seen. Pours a pitch black...no head at all - just a collar of deep brown and some sparse bubbles on the surface of the glass. No lacing on the glass.

S - Tons of coffee on the first sniff. Alcohol is noticeable, a bit of chile pepper and cinnamon. Coffee definitley dominates, but the other aromas blend in nicely. Some dark chocolate blends in almost as an afterthought. Peppers must be more prominant than I detect by smelling because I can feel them lingering in my nose long after pulling my nose away from the glass. As it warms a bit, I pick up a bit of maple too. Really nice.

T - Wow...cinnamon up front and lingering throughout....combines really well together. Reminds me of some kind of liquored up dessert coffee drink. A bit of caramel...just a hint of pepper, more in the aftertaste and feel than taste, although gets stronger in the flavor when the beer warms up. Chocolate is also more pronounced in the flavor than the aroma for me. Really, this is like the greatest dessert coffee I've ever had. Flavors combine together really well.

M - Definitely full bodied but not as syrupy as the pour would indicate. Carbonation is low, but with enough to give a bit of tingle. A light peppery feel (but no heat), some alcohol warmth too, but hidden pretty well.

D - Really, really nice impy stout. Hype on this one is pretty justified. Wow - great beer. Really need to let this one warm up a bit to really bring out the flavors and aromas. Was excellent when a bit too cold out of the fridge, but absolutely amazing after warming up a bit.

portia99, Apr 11, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Cigar City Never Ceases to Impress!

A: Motor Oil Black, Sticks to the Glass, Tar Pit with a tan frothy head that hunkers down low around the edge of the glass.

S: Plumb, Raison, Malty, Roasty, Chocolaty, Caramel, Alcohol, Subtle Molasses hints/

T: Just tasting this beer lets me know that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Possibly The Holy Grail of Stouts? This beer should be in a genre of it's own, with it's Intense Dark Chocolate & Roasted Grains, Almost a woody earthy background. Slight alcohol burn. or is it? Suddenly you will feel a burn in the back of your throught that soon spreads to the rest of your mouth. This beer is alive and won't go down with out a fight.

MF: Creamy, moderate Carbonation. Hot Pepper tingle.

D: (More, give me More. Now!) obviously not for the faint of heart or die hard BMC drinkers whom would never appreciate the artwork within the glass.

rmolledo, Apr 10, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

Much thanks to Roger and Tim for this one, you guys rock!

750ml poured into a Stone IRS Tulip

Ah, the fabled Hunahpu...Will it live up to the hype or is it a product of hype and limited supply?

A-Holy s**t! This beer really does pour like motor oil! Imagine pulling the plug on your oil pan after 5,000 miles and you've got the idea. Pours pitch black with a nice size head that is sort of a mocha color with a tinge of red thrown in. The only knock is the lack of lacing. Not too much at all, otherwise this would be a 5 on appearance.

S-Delicious roasted chocolaty malt with a bit of molasses, bourbon, vanilla, coffee and tobacco. Smells great.

T-Malty chocolate quickly followed up with sweet vanilla notes and molasses, a slight tobacco taste, and hints of dark roast coffee and cinnamon. The peppers come into play in the middle and become more pronounced in the finish, yet they remain a bit understated just politely teasing the taste buds. Wow, this is simply amazing. And this is 11.5%??? I can't tell it at all. The alcohol is extremely well concealed. This is not a hot beer at all.

M-Viscous and full bodied. Chewy, yet velvety smooth. Coats the palate thoroughly. Carbonation is perfect for the style. I don't know what else to say other than this is one of the most exceptional mouthfeels I've ever gotten from any beer.

D-Despite being a huge beast of a beer and its a sipper, it goes down almost dangerously easy. Highly drinkable for such a big beer.

One of the best beers I've ever had period. It ranks right up there with Abyss.

Well done CC!!!

Lerxst, Apr 10, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Huge thanks to Chris @ Freshbeer for opening this one during a recent outing.

We poured a small but decent measure into a snifter. It looked thick as all get-out, with some lazy foam.

Not as sweet and alcoholic-smelling as I remembered when I had it from a fresh growler. It's taken on more of that signature Cigar City cigar-box aroma, along with the requisite big chocolate and coffee aromas.

Again, I get big bitter chocolate and coffee. Chilies are still there, but somewhat less strong than I noted when I first had this. It seems less hoppy too, but I think I prefer it this way, with that deep dark chocolate taste and cured tobacco, with just hints of chile and hops.

Once again, we're dealing with a thick, oily mouthfeel.

Oddly enough, it seems somehow more potent than it did before, even though I smell and taste less alcohol. My modest portion (though I admit, I had a second modest portion) hit me like a jackhammer. Drinkable within this context, but I could in no way drain the entire bottle. Excellent for sharing.

Patrick999, Apr 09, 2010

Let me start off by saying the night I drank this beer, it was the most amazing beer tasting night of my life. We (urwithdave and gtreid) started off the night by drinking a Kate The Great, followed by the Hunahpu, then a Darkness, a KBS and a Darklord, holy stout. But I am reveiwing the Hunahpu. What an amazing beer, the pour was jet black with the head a red in color, almost evil looking. Smell was malty, with coffee, cocoa and a faint smell of the peppers. You taste chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon followed by a subtle bite of the peppers. Very thick almost like you could eat it. I could easily drink this beer every day, if my pocketbook would allow it.

mrstevens, Apr 08, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Received via trade with Seblitje- thanks a ton...been wanting to try this one for a while!!

a: pours a menacing thick black with a orangeish/reddish/brown head. I have never seen this color on a head- I assume it has to do with the peppers. A thin layer of the head retains itself throughout the glass and leaves dark bubbles on the glass as it goes down. As I observe the head, I notice cool designs of swirls from the contrasting shades of color

S:the front is a huge malty profile with molasses, cocoa, and coffee notes which is followed by a noticeable hint of peppers, the aroma is complex and takes on more character as it heats up

T: vanilla and molasses on the fronts followed by a huge chocolate profile as the peppers make an appearance towards the back of the palate. The finish is long and sweet and leaves a heat from the peppers. There isn't one flavor that dominates the palate, but so many flavors that harmonize quite well with each other.

MF: wickedly thick and viscous, a meal in a glass, very creamy on the palate

D: this is a luxuriously rich beverage with a high level of complexity. It is certainly worthy of hype as this beer is ssublime

homebrew311, Apr 07, 2010

I've had this beer multiple times seeing as I live about 15 minutes from Cigar City. Poured into my CC tulip.

A- Black like motor oil. The thickest beer iv'e ever poured.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and hints of vanilla and chili peppers.

T- One word : perfect

M- Like I said before, motor oil.

D- Very drinkable for a stout of such high alcohol percentage. Perfect brew to share with a good friend.

PLAID813, Apr 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large capped bottle brought straight from the brewery by stoutsnipas, thanks!

Tried two different bottles, and unfortunately, some quality control problems seem somewhat obvious.
The dark brown, but not quite black color shows a very faint head, quite different than the gusher a friend had described. Little to no head is formed.
Aroma is quite pleasant, bittersweet chocolate abound, with some coffee, molasses, spices, a hint of bourbon.
The mouthfeel suffers from the underwhelming carbonation, but still feels velvety.
Flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, some spices. Good, but the limited carbonation, unfortunately suggestive of some quality control issues does limit the overall enjoyment.

brdc, Apr 06, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

This is my first of 2 bottles from a trade with Dstructo. 750mL bottle filled to the cap line, literally < 5mm of space between liquid and cap.

The beer pours out dark brown and opaque with a foam that is at first reddish-tan color, fading to mocha color. Thick thick head, leaving a layer of foam that never dissipates to the liquid line. The beer smells outstanding, an obvious perfect score. Dark roasted malts and chocolate, some vanilla and other unknown spice, probably cinnamon based on the label. Really loved the nose.

The taste is nearly as good as the aroma. It starts with chocolate and sweet malts roasted to the edge of burning. Behind that you get the vanilla/cinnamon flavors, and finally some pepper burn in the aftertaste. Ancho and pasilla chiles to be exact.

Thick bodied, just as it should be, matching the huge flavors with a huge mouthfeel. Overall an excellent stout, I loved the addition of the chiles and cacao nibs.

TurdFurgison, Apr 06, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured this beer into a stemmed tulip glass from a bottle.
Beer is dark brown to black with carbonation the creates tan swirls on the surface of the beer. The beer has strong legs that grab to the side of the glass. The glass had a coating of residue on the sides when finished.
The aroma was amazing for a beer. I also got the olive aroma, but I thought it smelled more like green olives.
The taste was quite interesting. Strong bitter dark chocolate flavor.
Had a smooth finish without lingering bitterness. I got some sweet malt/ coffee flavor that balanced it out. Was not overly sweet like Ive had with other stouts. Very well balanced, made you want more. I liked the the mouthfeel very much. I thought that it could coat the tongue a little more.
This beer was great as small servings with a break in between. I didnt have enough. Possibly the best beer i have had to date. Definitely is my favorite stout.

anycrew, Apr 05, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle split with friends for review #250. This was traded to me by a very generous BA who knows who he is - thanks!! If I've learned one thing from reviewing the last half a year, it's that beer is meant to be shared and enjoyed. In that spirit, we opened this one at room temp and poured into some open mouth glasses, each enjoying about 8oz.

But, I ponder as the beer sits infront of me...although I want to believe, the cynic in me wonders if this can deliver. A month of strong reviews from some very reputable tickers pushed this into the top 10. But can it really hang with such legendary beers as KBS and the Abyss?

From the pour, it looks promising. This looks less like beer and more like motor oil from Motorhead's motorcycle. Even the head on this beer is dark. Wow. If I wasn't so psyched to try this special treat I would have it framed, it's a work of art.

But wait. There's quickly a potential weakness in the defenses, a chink in the Hunahpu's armor. The smell doesn't groove with me. Something just isn't right here - yes, there's an amazingly deep dark chocolate and nice roast, but there's also some tin. Not just some yeasty impressions, my beer smells like it was luged over a rusty sheet of metal. Is it just in my head (nose) or with it also taste this way? There are intricate notes of vanilla, chocolate, and cinnamon, but the tin is killing me.

Well, as it should be, the taste will be the deciding factor. And it delivers. The tin is gone. Thank the lawrd! In it's place is some of the most devine liquid I've ever had. A huge amount of chocolate and vanilla provide the base for such a deep, complex, and well crafted beer. The peppers are there, but they fade as the beer opens up. The cinnamon emerges and totally works. This is NOT a dessert beer, it's just a myriad of flavors all grooving together. The roast is devine, the way this one evolves between sips is splendid, and the taste is just perfect. A wonderful example of American brewing.

Mouthfeel is also perfect. Like drinking chocolate velvet. Wow, can't even think of a flaw here, this is the easiest 5 I've ever given.

Drinkability suffered since this is one to savor not burn through. But I must say on my 250th review, this is one of the best beers yet. Totally deserving of the hype, which kind-of makes it not hype, right? For anyone wondering, this beer has more in common with Chuck D than Flavor Flav...soul on a roll. I hoist my glass to the next 250 and look forward to sharing more great beer with great friends. That is, of course, what life as a Beer Advocate is all about.

jampics2, Apr 05, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

Well, this beer lives up to the hype. It's unique, it's different, but most of all it's great.

Bottle was obtained from the brewery a week after the release. Poured into a tulip glass--the pour is motor-oil esque. Thick, viscous, a light brown surface--can't really call it a head. Brownish swirls.

This beer has a nose like no other. The first smell is black olives. Never what you would expect from a stout. As I kept smelling and as it warms, it smells more of coffee and chocolate and the olives fades.

Initial taste is very light and pleasant, with stout overtones but not as heavy as you would typically expect from a stout. As it warms, it provides a nice dark chocolate tang, with the finish very similar to--yes, a cigar.

Mouthfeel is very light and pleasant. This is a VERY drinkable beer and although you will most likely take your time drinking it, you will enjoy every minute of it.

This beer is well worth the cost and the hype. Top notch!!

moz9, Apr 05, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

Purchased this one with the help of StoutsnIPAs, much thanks.

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours like a black motor oil and is completely opaque. A 1/2 inch dark brown head forms and reduces modestly quickly leaving minimal lacing.

The aroma is great with a blend of bitter dark chocolate, roasted coffee, a little less molasses sweetness and perhaps is touch of tobacco and vanilla.

The taste is as expected with a strong up from roasted coffee and dark chocolate combination. Some oaky vanilla notes pop up a little later. There is an interesting pepper component, not spicy but like a bell pepper.

The mouthfeel was full bodied. The carbonation was just right, now detracting from the flavor and in fact highlighting it. It is very smooth and creamy and leaves a pleasantly dry aftertaste. This beer changes rapidly and loses the carbonation making it an interesting drink that changes during the session.

Overall, this is extraordinarily easy to drink. I was concerned as two of my friends had concerns about it being flat, which it definitely was not. I can say this is a solid beer and well worth the effort to get. Let's see how it ages.

SykDoc, Apr 04, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Much thanks to tpd975 for passing along another great bounty of CCB beers. Greg is one of the best traders and all around good guys in this community.

Anxiously awaited this beer and was thinking of Black Tuesday the whole time I was drinking it. Hard to imagine a beer getting more hype this year than Black Tuesday so I was really interested to see how this brewery release would hold up against BT and some of the other high profile releases of the past year.

A - The best appearance of a beer that I have ever seen. Poured from a chilled bottle into a snifter. Pours black and oily with a billowing head rising up. Absoulte perfection all the way around.

S - Chocolate certainly rules but there is enough going on there to make this very enticing. Some small scent of molasses, vanilla, are also there but the chocolate and chili let you know that it is there.

T - Was on the borderline of a 4.5 and 5 for this one. Would have thrown a 4.75 down if I could have. Exceptional taste as all of the previously noted goodies come through. A layering effect as each one presents itself.

M - Great. Oily and smooth feel.

D - Hard to imagine that this one is what it is. You simply want more and more of it as you drink it, it is that good.

This beer in my opinion slaughters Black Tuesday. The best beer that I have had this year. Can't wait to crack open another one. A great, great beer. Bravo to CCB.

Beerisheaven, Apr 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Reviewed 04-01-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass, thanks to Shango42 for sharing, let sit a bit for closer to room temp

A - Poured black with a dark brown head, little signs of carbonation but couldn't really tell

S - Coffee, vanilla, dark chocolates, no real hop presence in this brew

T - WOW, dry roasted coffee taste followed up with dark chocolate, vanilla and a smoke after taste

M/D - A big thanks to Shango42 for cracking this open, a great brew to have had, my first Cigar City brew and man I would love to have another. Sorry I couldn't pick out the chili like everyone else but the balanced flavors in this brew can speak for itself. A must for anyone to try, if you're a fan of this style then you gotta get your hands on this. A full bodied brew with that can be enjoyed over and over.

FreshmanPour77, Apr 04, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +1.8%

Had to part with some KBS and Nemesis for this one. This little trade was set up on another forum.

A- Now THIS is the darkest beer Ive ever seen. Pours inky black, absolutely no sign of lightness or clarity. The head is hard to coax out but even it is the darkest thing Ive seen. This is really unlike any foam Ive encountered. Its a really deep, burnt, rustic brown/red. It fades into a thick collar. I cant see through this beer at all. This is EPICLY dark.

S- Wild stuff, I can already tell. Intensely complex and intricate here. Raw cocoa, vanilla, coffee, roasted peppers and more. Some alcohol and faint cinnamon and licorice.

T- Pretty insane stuff. This is a lot smoother with a bit of creaminess than I was expecting. Chilies and chocolate will always be a good combination, as long as it is done right. Hunahpu does it right. Starts sweet, chocolatey with a touch of roasted coffee and french vanilla creme. That breaks into a chili pepper, roasted red bell peppers, chili powder only not as spicy character. The finish has a touch of cinnamon and more peppers. There is even a very faint capsaicin heat, this is bolstered by a little bit of alcohol warmth.

M- This beer seems to lose carbonation very quickly. The beginning of this glass was pretty bubbly and sharp. Now it is noticeably flatter and creamier. This isnt the thickest stout in the world despite what the look would have you think. It is, however, one of the stickiest stouts in the world. My lips and the glass are so sticky to the point of it being unpleasant. Needless to say this beer doesnt finish clean, but who would expect that from a big stout?

D- Way too drinkable for a big stout of 11.5% ABV. It goes down with out a fuss. It doesnt really even make you feel like you are drinking a heavy beer.

MbpBugeye, Apr 03, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Big, just-hit-a-grand-slam high five to moose3285 for sending this much-anticipated beer far from it's home town. We had a hint of this on a February visit to Cigar City - the brewer brought out a bit & we each had about a two-ounce swig - & I was eager to have an entire bottle to ponder. And here it is. Arrived this morning by FedEx, into the fridge, popped thirteen hours later.

Split the big 750ML bottle with my wife, who was all about getting on this right away. Pours that absence of light color with a beautiful, shimmering brown head (I'm a head poo-paher, but this one was nice) perched like a bubbly afro atop the beer. Smell is wild. Charred malts, sweet malts, sprinkling of chocolate, & I'll swear, a hint of chiles.

Hunahpu's delivers the goods. As the nose suggests, this is a stout that doesn't play well with one's expectations. A swig of slightly warmed up brew leaves one with the first impression that there's plenty of tastes mingling & having a good time, but nothing is dominant. The chiles are very evident, warming the lips, giving the beer a strange, non-alcoholic warmth. The chocolate is evident underneath the chile - and it's an odd, beautiful juxtaposition. Buried beneath these two are jets of moist chocolate, a dollop of very mild coffee/roasted malts, a line of vanilla, & the sweetness of the nibs blended into the cool malts. Wow. Just wow.

Smooth, dark, decadent. Drinkabilly? Uh, yeah. I'd take a case of this if I could get it. I'm trying hard to pace myself & enjoy this while it's happening.

Holy beer, batman. This is a masterpiece; insert superlative of your choice. I'm already a big fan of Cigar City, & with this gorgeous beast they've obviously taken their game to a whole new level. Amazing. Seek this out immediately if you are able. And thanks Mike, I owe you, good sir!

maximum12, Apr 03, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +7.9%

750 bottle paired with mole rubbed duck over grilled polenta and a spicy chimi churi sauce.

A- poured about as dark as it gets, black as a moon less night with a bit of espresso colored creamy head. Super thick and oily so viscous it coats the glass.

S- amazingly complex. First I'm hit with dark roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Then smooth deep fire roasted chilies and chared wood. The chilies show up as a spicy but earthy burn. Layers of sweet dark berries and mexican cinnamon. Bourbon vanilla mixes its way in the sweetness with some brown sugar and molasses.

T- dios mio. This it the truth. Roasted everything! The coffee and chilies bust it up first and roll into the chocolate with such beauty. 86 percent dark chocolate with big tropical fruit and over ripe dark berries. The vanilla sweetens things up and brings a balance to things. Smokey wood and a slight nutty char deepen the flavor and bring it all back around.

M- chewy and thick. Light carbonation that lends its way to a nice linger and long finish, and that's super fine with me.

D- great I'd say. This is a huge brew in flavor depth and alcohol but this never get boozy at all. It just keeps me coming back for another sip.

oglmcdgl, Apr 02, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +5%

Sampled On: 03/30/2010
Sample Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Acquired with the help of Zach(beeruser), thanks cuz! This brew poured like 10W-30 motor oil w/ a big two to three finger dark brown head. However, no pop when opening the bottle, I assume thats due to the bottle being almost filled to the top. Heavy lacing hangs on the glass and remains. Pretty awesome spectacle! The nose was of chocolate malts, molasses, peat, and oak. Tasted as you would expect from the nose, but with a finish of light vanilla bean, spices from the peppers, and a good hop backbone to balance. Extremely complex and became even more so as it warmed. The mouthfeel was perfectly viscous and chewy which is what I was looking for. This brew will tease you. Initially, you think you can drink alot of it, and really want to, but then soon realize that with the well masked ABV and thickness you cannot. This brew is really a meal in a bottle.

Overall, this is hands down, the best and most complete Imperial Stouts I have had to date. In my search for the Holy Grail of Imperial Stouts, this is as close as I have been. Fine job once again by Cigar City, this brew is worthy of the hype. If you have not sampled it you must seek it out! Thanks again Zach!

mikeyv35, Apr 01, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

I got a bottle of Huna. Its been a long time coming and a beer I have searched for over and over again. Well the time came. I have been drinking less and less lately, but decided to go for a big one tonight. Ate dinner, enjoyed a fine sour, cleansed the palate and opened the bottle. Letting it breathe for a good while I proceeded to repeatedly pour it into a six ounce snifter over the course of the evening. Consumed on 03/30/2010.

The pour was gold, Jerry, Gold. Dark as night, with nothing, not a drop of anything coming through the other side of this beast. The delicate and evil reverse cascade of the deep chocolate colored head just sealed the deal as it rose up to nearly an inch it stays, never settling more then a couple of inches and leaving you just wondering how dark and rich can this possibly be? How downright dark and evil can it look? Just rediculous.

The aroma was heavenly. Rich cocoa layered upon warm roasted coffee with just a hint of spice are what comes across at first. Warming though brings out all the subtleties and richness that I would have come to expect. Cinnamon and vanilla and fighting it out to provide a hint of sweetness and character. Each sip seemingly more complex then the one before. It is literally just a bath in warm, malty flavors. Chocolate and vanilla, a light punch of cinnamon all combine to form a complex richness that is at the same time as subtle as could be. Truly a remarkable thing they have created. One of the fullest stouts I have run across as each sip is like chocolate mousse and even at 11.5% everything stays very well hidden.

Overall sublime, everything I wanted it to be and more. I would have no problem drinking one every night and could be a happy man. One of the best stouts I have had.

mikesgroove, Mar 31, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Bottle into Bruery tulip, courtesy the ever-generous Greg (tpd975). Huge thanks, Greg!

Pours absolutely pitch black, ridiculously dense and thick, with a gorgeous, dense 1.5 finger mocha head. The head slowly settles down into a thin but dense cap, with excellent stickage and fantastic walls of lacing.

Nose is roasty, light notes of smooth espresso and dark cocoa, bit of tobacco, and a mix of dark fruits and licorice. Nice nose, but far from exceptional.

The taste, however, lives up to the expectations. Huge, deep chocolate and beautiful roastiness up front segue into big dark fruit, blackstrap molasses, more chocolate, and a nice smokiness. Alcohol emerges with a bit of booziness right before the finish, smoky pepper heat, and a firm, sharp, roasty bitterness that carries hints of burnt sugar.

Mouthfeel is thick and full-bodied, decadent, with a firm underlying carbonation and a subtle heat from the peppers in the back of the throat. Long, full finish.

Drinkability is, surprisingly, pretty nice. Aside from a bit of alcohol heat, the flavor is massive, but I was wishing for more after my half of the bottle. A really beautifully done beer.

JohnQVegas, Mar 30, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -5.9%

From 3/27 notes. Got to share with some other BA's thanks to a great trade with bobby8405... thanks Bob! Poured from 750ML bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep, dark black color with one finger of brown head and a little bit of carbonation evident. Great rentention on the head.

s - Smell is a mixture of cocoa, chile, chocolate, and vanilla. The chili was very interesting and gave it an almost fig/dark fruit taste. Very interesting mix, but enjoyable.

t - Tastes of chile, cocoa, and vanilla. Also some roasted malts. As the beer warmed up a bit, I got some cinnamon and some more of the chile. A very interesting mix.

m - Full body and low carbonation. Very thick.

d - I thought this was very interesting. It was probably the best beer using chile that I've ever had, and had a load of interesting smells and tastes that worked well together. Quite complex. All that being said, it's not my favorite stout. Don't get me wrong, this was a very good beer and I would love to try it again, but I felt, as did some of the others who tried this with me, that it did not live up to the hype surrounding it.

mdfb79, Mar 30, 2010