Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 707 | Hads: 3,552
4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

the Hunahpu is the best, plain and simple, out of all the big stouts(DL, IST, Darkness, etc), Hunahpu releases a very smooth well rounded chocolatey malty flavor that just puts any other beer to shame,i strongly suggest finding this beer and trying it, my favorite hope its your too

Pours a 1 finger thick beautiful mocha head dissipates to form a solid ring around my ccb snifter and stays throughout the drink. It has an aroma of strong dark chocolate with coffee in the background. It tastes of chocolate up front, coffee and vanilla notes with a finishing burn from the alcohol then from the peppers. This beer is so complex I am tasting something different each time I try it. Hunahpus is the greatest beer I've ever had, so complex and so delicious!

4.6/5  rDev +2%

This beer is enough of a reason for me to pick up and move to Florida (you know, asides the beaches, beautiful weather, cheaper housing, and Disney).

Appearance - I could look at this beer all day. Actually thats a lie, because I would drink the shit out of it. Maybe if I had a photograph...Anyway, fantastic. Black as any good stout should be with a beautiful brown, yes brown, not mocha or off white, just full on brown head. Awesome. Unfortunately for someone like me who is totally digging this head it doesn't really want to hang out to long, oh well, nothing lasts forever. This liquid resembles oil closer than a stout.

Smell - A myriad of unusual aromas attack your nose with this one. Most people always review stouts the same way: raisins, coffee, caramel, choco...blah, blah, blah. We've read them a hundred times. This bad boy hits you with spice, vanilla, and earthiness, okay, yes, there are some elements of chocolate, and some hardcore roasted malts, but this beer will definitely hit your nose with something fantastic that is uncommon in most stouts, and you will love it.

Taste - The real winner in this whole review. In the front you have some heavy dark bakers chocolate combined with roasted malts, then some vanilla smoothness in the middle, and in the finish you get some faint hotness from the chilies and the cinnamon. It is out of this world. Let it warm up before drinking it, I feel like you would lose out on a lot of wonderful flavors.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, amongst the thickest I've had. For me I really enjoy a dark, hearty, rich, thick stout. I totally get that not everyone is in to that, but if your looking for a stout that you could drink with a spoon this is your beer.

Overall - Well, I clearly really enjoyed this beer. I have had many stouts from Cigar City and everyone of them have been incredible. This one however is the reigning champ of their stout line. Wonderful and delicious.

3.96/5  rDev -12.2%

FRE$H 2011 Batch

Appearance -- Pours like motor oil, jet black with faint ruby about the edges and a slim dark chocolate-hued head. It's hard to knock this view. Wish the head had more staying power, but still quite photogenic.

Smell -- Aside from the semisweet roast malt aromas, chile and cocoa are most apparent, with spicy chile heat being most dominant. Vanilla, and finally cinnamon, make themselves known after multiple whiffs. The chile heat nearly singes the hair on your nose - very sharp. Certainly interesting, but not the inviting aroma I was hoping for.

Taste -- Charred malt, molasses sweetness, smoked chiles in chocolate, and in the distance, vanilla and cinnamon. The chili is well-done, lending some rich smokey flavor mid-palate and a nice spicy finish. Lasting flavors of cocoa, red pepper flake, and roast malt that mimics coffee.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied and viscous with mild/moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel flirts with under-carbonation, but is still successful.

Overall -- This was a very nice treat. I appreciate the cocoa and chile additions, but The whole time I drank this I couldn't help but wish that the mouthfeel of the Zhukov's I had recently was this good. Some of the additions, like vanilla and cinnamon, seem to cover up some of the malt complexity of Zhukov's.

Glad I finally got to try this one in its prime, but I'd take a properly carbonated Marshall Zhukov's all the same.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

2011 vintage enjoyed in honor of zombie Jesus.

Alright, so I've been dying to try this and figured Easter was an appropriate occasion. Poured it out into some HotD snifters with a fellow BA. The first thing I noticed was the generous head and insane, sexy time, legs.

Smelled like grade school. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but what this really smells like is science class, circa 6th grade. I remember it like it was yesterday (dissolve to a long time ago...)

Ms. Janonis drove a Fiero and had a boy's haircut. We didn't know better and just thought she was damn cool. She was teaching us about physical change due to applied heat. We were cooking down sugar to make candy, basically. I'll never forget the incredible smell that cooked sugar made as it melted down into a clear brown glass. That is exactly what Hunahpu smells like and it is awesome.

Taste is a home run, too. Cinnamon and burnt sugar and vanilla and then, as the last taste is leaving your tongue, the chile heat. Just a little tingle on the buds. It's like a Chinatown happy ending.

This beast is also creamy like horchata. Creamy like you could eat it with a fork. Creamy like I am not sure I will ever be able to completely wash it out of the glasswear, now stained permanently brown.

Anyway, this is a special brew and worth every effort to obtain. I wish I had more.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to black13 for bringing this to a tasting. Shared with black13, tulipsnifter, hopsbreath, chaset, and ramnuts.
Vintage 2010

Appearance- Black with a chocolate head that sticks around for a min then dissipated to a ring. This is the darkest head I have ever seen.

Smell- Chocolate and some chilies are prominent.

Taste- Very smooth. Lots of chocolate and the smallest hint of chilies. Very good. Some vanilla in the background.

Mouthfeel- Very thick. I am surprised that the head sticks around as much as it does. Coats the glass quite a lot.

Overall- Damn this is a good beer. I usually do not like chilies, in beer or anywhere else. This would be an exception. Small chili presence and it works well.

Micheal also brought a 2011 version which I liked a lot better. All of the flavors were much sharper. Much more complex and interesting. The actual numbers reflect the 2011 version.

Taken from notes on 4-3-11. Hooked up on a trade from jcartamdg. Thanks Jason.

I will start off by saying this has been a top 5 want for quite some time. My expectations are very high. I decided to open it fresh rather than cellar it. I was happy to share this with my tasting posse. SundaySuperFriends.

My Darkness snifter was shaking with anticipation. Pours a violent deep dark jet black. Not one shred of light is escaping this beast. Black hole with a reddish tan two finger head sums it up. My glass is stained with a blackish tan hue after i swirl.

Good thing I was blessed with a large nose so I could take in all the intoxication from my glass. Wow this smells freakin epic. Cinnamon, cocoa nib, and vanilla rounds it out. Cinnamon and cocoa are the front runners in my mouth. In the end of the swallow they've brought their friend chili pepper with them. What an incredible sip. Carbonation is dialed in to perfection. The beer is thick but not chewy. Fuck this is unbelievable.

Best beer I've had to date hands down. Number two isn't even in eye shot. If you took an x-ray of my stomach after drinking this you would see a flippin party taking place. If you don't like this beer you need a lobotomy.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Bottle generously shared by russwbeck, thanks Russ!

2011 vintage.

A - This is one of the darkest and thickest beers I've seen in a long time. It slowly glugs out of the bottle, and at first it doesn't look that it'll get much head, but it gradually builds a dark brown head, rivaling the darkest I've seen. Retention is fairly low, but it leaves a nice cap behind. Lacing is thick and generous, coating most of the glass.

S - The smell on this is phenomenally complex. Everything that is mentioned on the bottle is here in spades. The chocolate comes through almost to the point of being fudge, and the chilies are definitely noticeable. It vaguely reminds me of Great Divide's Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti, in that it has a slightly piney and woody aroma, but not so strong, thankfully.

T - Wow. Talk about a deep and flavorful beer. At first, the malts are sweet and the chocolate retains a ton of fudge, and then comes wave after wave of taste, from the chilies to the cinnamon to the oak and vanilla. The chilies are spicy but not exactly burning hot, but enough to leave a nice tingling on the tongue. The cinnamon comes through from the beginning to the end, and brings a unique twist that's absolutely phenomenal. The cinnamon is the thing that really keeps drawing me back.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with good carbonation. The chilies do give off some residual heat here, leaving a prickly tingling feeling on the tongue and lips. Doesn't coat the mouth as much as I thought it would.

D/O - Drinkability is high. While the alcohol is not incredibly noticeable, its definitely a sipper merely for the fact that just one sip is loaded with flavor. If you don't like cinnamon, you may want to steer clear, but if you do, this will be right up your alley.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%

2011 vintage via Jefe73 shared with nhindian

A: This has the darkest head of any beer I've ever seen. Sort of like chocolate milk when you've put too much chocolate sauce in it. The lacing an retention is great.

S: Definitely getting the chili and cinnamon dominating some chocolate and roastiness. Some vanilla and alcohol mix in as well.

T: Recently I was at a food pairing for Oskar Blues, and with Ten Fidy they paired a Chocolate Chili Cake. This tastes exactly like that. Wonderful dark chocolate leads it off and gives way to a wonderful array of spices. The chili and cinnamon dominate the back end of the taste, in that order, and fade slowly back to what seems like a coffee roastiness. The chilis leave a tingle and perhaps a hint of spiciness on the tongue. The taste is so complex. Perhaps some oakiness resting in the background. Every taste brings a new experience.

MF: Dark and heavily bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Only a hint of alcohol. It goes down creamy, with a silkiness that makes you want to keep taking sips.

O: Truly a wonderful concoction. I completely understand the hype. If only I could get more to throw in the cellar. Blown away.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Obliterative onyx with a rapidly expanding crown of coffee milkshake-like cream that overflowed onto the desktop before it could be contained. No carbonation issues here. The lid looks lovely, lasts, and should lay down some pretty impressive lace when it melts. Note: it doesn't, but this is still great looking ale.

Cigar City used an outstanding base beer as the starting point for this inventive offering. Even though my bottle is an estimated one year of age, most of the added ingredients are noted in the nose. Peruvian cacao nibs and the earthy spiciness of the Ancho and Pasilla chiles for sure. Cinnamon and vanilla bean slightly less so.

It looks like Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout plays the same role as Old Rasputin for North Coast and Yeti for Great Divide. In other words, it's a granite-solid Double/Imperial stout that tastes great, almost no matter what's added to it. This stuff is de-freakin-licous right out of the gate and should only improve with warming.

Hunahpu's Imperial is impressive quasi-aged beer that is probably even more impressive when fresh. The always generous ktrillionaire offered me a bottle of the latest vintage just yesterday. Hmmm... may have to take him up on that. Where would we be without the occasional trade for outstanding regional-only beer?

Flavors include an intense dark chocolate fudginess, sticky molasses, coconut oil, vanilla beans, a soft blip of earthy-spicy chiles, and sprinklings of warm cinnamon. The inspired additions have turned an already deep and complex beer into an even deeper and more complex beer. This is a palate pleaser par excellence.

My 750 ml of Marshal Zhukov's (thanks again Casey) had some carbonation issues. This bottle is an indication of what that bottle should've been like. The mouthfeel is the very definition of smoothly creamy lusciousness. Laid-back bubbles add just the right amount of volume, then cut out and allow beer to ooze over tongue.

Hunahpu is the Mayan god of creation. Cigar City Brewing has every reason to be proud that they have created the masterpiece that is Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. A fresh bottle might have challenged for the best of 2011.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Shared on 14 April among a couple of friends; 750mL bottle.

Poured up absolutely black and thick with a dark brown head. Looked simply *stunning* in my chalice leaving a brown, oily film on the sides of the glass as I gently swirled it around.
Smell was whiskey, vanilla, chocolate, chile peppers, and loads of other things I couldn't readily identify; quite a lot going on!
Taste was immensely chocolate with spent coffee grounds, spicy chile peppers, chocolate covered cherries (wasn't expecting this), finishing with a lovely warming sensation attributable to both the easily detectable cinnamon and chile peppers. Very complex and absolutely incredible!
Mouthfeel was very heavy, but silky smooth leaving a nearly oily coating in the mouth.
I found this to be exceptionally well crafted, a real privilege to enjoy, and the first 'elusive' beer to actually live up to all the hype! Very, very well done!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Stone RIS snifter.

A: pours a thick dark black, with a 2 finger mocha foam that stays for awhile. very carbonated.

S: chocolate and coffee hit the nose right away, a little bit of vanilla and a little of the chilies are noticeable.

T: smooth and delicious, semi-sweet chocolates, hints of hotness from the chillies smoothed out by the vanilla.

M/D: Exceptionally tasty, the carbonation is just right, it works well with this beer. a spicy and sweet beer. delicious.

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to steppnrazr and cyrusthepup for hooking me up with a couple bottles of this. Two exceptional BAs.

2011 Edition 750mL bottle poured into Cigar City snifter on April 14, 2011.

A- Poured vigorously into the bottom of the snifter. Thick and oily, like draining the oil in your car. Absolutely no head, no matter how hard I tried. Acceptable lacing, given the ABV.

S- Immediate chocolate presence, followed by a nice vanilla and and coffee smell. Let it warm up significantly, the cinnamon and chile pulls through at the end. Impressed.

T- Sweet vanilla chocolate up front, followed almost immediately by a nice cinnamon and spice from the chiles. The chiles mask the alcohol beautifully, and create a heat I wish more stouts had.

M- Thick and creamy, with medium-low carbonation. Coats the mouth and throat without overwhelming, leaving a nice lingering flavor.

O- Considering this beer's exceptional status going in, I was more that pleasantly surprised that all the ingredients in the bottle are displayed in both taste and smell. I didn't think I would love the chiles, but I was proven wrong. Give this beer time to warm to a little below room temperature, and it becomes a frontrunner for my favorite non-bal stout. A very well balanced beer that is worth seeking out.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Pours black as night with a dark brown head. The head goes away almost immediately and leaves some lacing. The beer is super viscous and clings to the side of the glass.

Smell: Initially I smell very sweet roast with hints of dark chocolate and dark fruit. After that I pick up the peppers as well as some alcohol.

Taste: Very sweet roast hits the tongue first. This is followed by dark chocolate, some chili pepper spice, cinnamon, and some dark fruit notes. The finish is roasty and sweet, the flavors blend together well.

Mouthfeel: This one just coats your mouth. Very thick and viscous with just the right amount of carbonation (mild). The finish is mildly dry.

Drinkability: I would have this one again and again. I'm super excited that I got to try this! I thought it was very well balanced. Great Beer Gland I got to try this one!

4.98/5  rDev +10.4%

2011 bottle, opened in 2011.

A – Black body with the one of the darkest heads I’ve ever seen. The head has super-fine bubbles and holds up well with nice retention and lace. The beer is incredibly viscous with better legs than most red wines.

S – Dark brown sugar, cinnamon, espresso, ancho chilies, light booze.

T – This beer is what a billionaire's milk chocolate should taste like. Chocolate covered espresso beans, delicious raisiny ancho chilies, cinnamon, soft pepper heat, toffee, and vanilla. The flavors are soft, complex, well balanced and prominent. An absolutely beautiful flavor profile.

M – Stunningly smooth, medium/full body. Great sweet vanilla / spicy chili / bitter cocoa finish with a touch of warm booze.

O – Fantastic balance and flavor. It’s rare that a brewer posts an ingredient bill as complex as this on the bottle and everything comes through. It's even rarer that those flavors come through so clean and incredibly well integrated. Tip of the hat to CCB, job well done.

4.36/5  rDev -3.3%

2011 batch 750mL capped bottle with a pretty cool label poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/10/11

A: Pours a motor oil thick jet black with very dark brown voluminous head that reaches upward to fill the glass. One of the darkest heads that I have ever seen. Next to no light gets through this when held up to the light. This looks absolutely amazing, head hangs around for a while and leaves plenty of dark lacing around the glass.

S: Doesn't smell incredibly strong at first. Sweet with lots of dark malt and roasted barley, a touch of cinnamon and alcohol. Bourbony vanilla and lots more cinnamon come out as it warms up.

T: Very unique stout, roasted barley with lots of thick chocolate coats my tongue as the chilies make my mouth tingle. The cinnamon and vanilla are in there as well, just not as powerful as the flavor from the chocolate and chilies. The additions of the cacao nibs, chilies, vanilla, and cinnamon combine incredibly well with each other to create a truly unique and delicious taste.

M: Extremely full bodied, very thick and smooth like a true RIS should be. Some carbonation is able to penetrate through the thickness and create a slight tingle on my tongue. The chilies add a pleasantly mild, lingering sting on my lips as the alcohol warms my gut.

O: Overall, this is a great RIS. Delicious, smooth and packed with diverse flavors. You can really taste and smell all the additions of cacao nibs, chilies, vanilla and cinnamon. I will be seeking more bottles of this when it comes out again next year.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle into tulip snifter.
2010 vintage.

Pours black with a beautiful, thick and frothy dark brown head.

The aroma is quite complex, but rich cocoa, chocolate and vanilla stand out the most. I'm picking up only hints of the chili and cinnamon, though I probably wouldn't be able to identify it is such had I not known what it was. There are also some faint dark fruit notes.

The taste is of chocolate and light vanilla, followed up by some cinnamon heat and faint, almost smoky, chili notes. Very enjoyable. I really enjoy the chili and cinnamon notes, as it adds enough burn to let you know it's there, but doesn't become over-whelming.

The mouthfeel is just wonderful. An incredibly thick body, with just enough carb to keep it from becoming too heavy.

I really enjoyed this stout very much and I definitely now understand the love for it, though I probably won't actively seek any more of it.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

I got this in a trade from kmurray8621. Thanks for the trade and the opportunity to try this beer! I've been saving it for a special occasion and decided to crack it for National Beer Day.

750ml bottle poured into the Chimay signature chalice I had on hand.

Look: black body with a dark red, very thin head that ends up being a few bubbles hugging the sides of the glass after a short while. The head color is very interesting. Its kind of a cinnamon colored and is something I haven't seen before. There's no lacing except for brief spots clinging to the side for dear life. Very nice looking Imperial stout.

Smell: roasted malt, chocolate, and vanilla stand out with some tobacco and hints of chilies once it reaches room temperature.

Taste: alcohol soaked dark fruit, some chocolate from the cacao nibs blended well with the vanilla, roasted and chocolate malt, a bit of smokiness, and a bit of spice from the chilies. The spiciness is luckily fairly subdued, since I don't do heat very well. The cinnamon I am really struggling to find and really can't. Perhaps the age has taken that out?

Feel: full bodied, which is apparent even when I begin the pour. The alcohol is apparent but not overwhelming. It is sweet without being cloying, thankfully. There's no heat from the chilies.

Drinkability: certainly a sipper, since this full flavored beer is clearly meant to be savored.

Overall: I really enjoyed this one. While some of the ingredients don't seem to mesh well in theory, in practice they are all quite nicely and really present something new and unique for the style. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and will seek it out again and am going to be looking for General Zhukov in the future, too! Well done, Cigar City! Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Sampled initially at Tryst in Delray Beach, also have a few bottles that will be sampled in the future

From Notes:

A: Absolutely amazing pour. Ominous pitch black oil, huge deep brown head (almost purple), retention is surprisingly good given the ABV

S: Complex to say the least. Chocolate, fudge, vanilla, coffee, lactose, cinnamon, and dark fruit to name the main notes. Overall sweet smelling, but definitely has lots of depth

T: As I suspected, a sweet beer, and alcohol is pretty well hidden. Vanilla, fudge, chocolate, coffee, and cinnamon come the the front. I never really picked up on the peppers, but then again, there is so much going on.

MF/O: Thick and oily feel to it. Smooth and creamy despite the moderate carbonation.

Overall, a stout that should be grouped in with the best, but I never really got that "wow" factor that I was expecting. I still prefer the Abyss and KBS over Hunahpu's, but let's see what some cellaring does to this

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%

750mL bottle from this year's release. The beer and the Cigar City snifter it was poured in are both courtesy of Whartonallboy. This one was allowed to warm from the fridge for about half an hour before being opened.

Hunahpu's pours the typical solid stout black, with at most a finger and a half of *dark* caramel foam topping it. Retention is decent, but lacing is barely there. The nose is a bit muted, but what is there is intoxicating. Rich chocolate is the centerpiece, and it's buoyed by notes of cinnamon and peppery spice. The aroma may have been a bit dull, but that wasn't the case once the beer hit my lips. What would have been a deep dark chocolate base is brought much closer to milk chocolate from the sweetness from the vanilla beans. Cinnamon acts as the transition to a spicy, almost smoky finish from the chiles. Everything is in perfect proportion as well, with the chocolaty notes forming the basis of the flavor profile, and then filtering down to cinnamon and then chiles. The body is perfectly rich and creamy, but the carbonation isn't quite up to the task of cutting through all that. Hunahpu's isn't quite elite in every facet, but it brings it where it counts (the flavor). I'll be doing my best to acquire some more in the future.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been a while since I have reviewed anything, crazy week. Big thanks to my cousin for getting this to me from Tampa.

A- Pitch black motor oil falls into a pint glass. A massive dark mocha head forms and retains very well. Looking damn good so far. Huge coat of dark lace.

S- Huge roast malt and milk chocolate off the top. A nice vanilla presence as well. Good caramel malt presence making me think it will be sweet.

T- Massively filled with cocoa and chocolate notes on top of the sweet roast malt caramel Zhukov's I remember. The vanilla helps round this out. A tiny bit of chili and spice as well, cinnamon is pretty much minimal to me. Fairly smoky from the chili peppers?

MF- Pretty thick body with low end carbonation. Oily feel overall coating the tongue. Somewhat spicy.

DB- I like this beer overall, I think the blend of ingredients worked out well. Tastes like dessert. I am glad I split the bottle but this one drinks very well considering what it is.

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a thick black as midnight color with a small chocolate brown head. This sucker has got some weight to it.

The vanilla bean aroma stands out and along with the cacao nibs, it brings a tootsie roll scent. There is some zesty-ness from the spices but nothing very strong. A very rich dessert aroma.

The taste is of a roasted malt base with some strong ground coffee notes. This is followed by caramel, cacao, and the vanilla. There is a lemony acid twang to keep the sweet in balance. Very light spice from the chiles, they seem to add a different layer of sweetness and a slight metallic note. I don't pick up much from the cinnamon but that might get blended in with the chile spice. A lot going on.

The feel is very thick with soft carbonation that give the beer a silky feel. Very sweet to start but finishes with a roasty bitterness. Quite sticky on the finish. There is some burn from the chiles, perhaps the alcohol as well.

A very tasty beer with lots of complex flavors. Its a big beer and better enjoyed in smaller samples. Great dessert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 2011 bottle thanks to BA muskabeatz.

A: Pours a dark, black, motor oil color that we've all seen so many times before. Where this beer really stands out to me is its head, this thing foamed up to maybe an inch and a half of, way over what I've come to expect from the latest and greatest big Russian Imperial, a bit too much for my preference. The head was so creamy it seemed to keep swirl lines.

S: Here's a sticking point with me, my drinking buddies described the aroma as "subtle", which to me says that it's not very strong. Initially I just barely smelled a sort of biscuity scent with a hint of pepper, but as it warmed it I caught much more sweet chocolate and vanilla. The way this aroma changes makes me wish I could give it two ratings, initially, I found it lacking, but as it warmed it came around.

T: This thing is marvelous! The very first thing I taste is chocolate, but just like packages from good traders, it's laden with extras! Just like that special release you get as an extra, this beer comes with a little peppery spiciness tinged with real cinnamon. Somehow all of these flavors work well together, AND THEN finishes out with a bit of sweet vanilla. Alcohol is present, but not overpowering.

M: So creamy! Thick and evenly carbonated, somehow this stout still feels almost like it's been whipped. Really a unique mouthfeel experience.

O: This is a good one, lives up the hype in my opinion, the peppery spiciness and cinnamon make this beer one-of-a-kind. Seek this one out if at all possible!

4.03/5  rDev -10.6%

This one has some hype to live up to.

Pours dead black with the most amazing cocoa head ever.

Smell is a bit off-putting. Nothing inviting here, bitter, dark hops and/or cacao.

Taste is COMPLEX. Getting cacao beans, and a healthy cinnamon burn which is amazing. Coffee roast coming through as well. Not getting a ton of vanilla. Did I mention Cinnamon and chile burn?

Wow, this is a wonderful taste. I love cinnamon and chocolate combined and this is the best of all worlds - Cinnamon, chocolate and BEER! But it works. This reminds me of the descriptions of ancient Aztec hot chocolate drinks back when the cacao bean wasn't the invention of Milton Hershey.

Not much else to say. Not going to be a favorite if you don't like new things. :) I love this - though I can't see drinking it all night.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

2011 vintage thanks to jefe73, thanks Jeff!
poured into a cigar city snifter.

a- looks amazing! a lot darker than I expected, pours like used motor oil (yes you hear this all the time but it seriously pours pitch-black!). pour stirs up a beautiful half inch dark brown head. doesn't last very and disappears into small bubbles hugging the edges of the glass

s- put my nose in the glass and took a big whiff... barely anything... put my nose really close to the goods and still get very little aroma.
dissapointed I begin to drink.
fast forward to half way thru the glass and bam I get hit with a wall of aromas! every glass afterward; amazing. this guy is very picky with the tempature, a bit too cold and it's hidden away, but once it's warm enough it's outstanding. upfront is the chocolate and vanilla with some roasted malts and coffee. in the back the peppers and cinnamon appear nicely

t- like the nose my first sip was... ok. very familiar to zuhkov with some added spices in the back. this is it? it's good but not amazing. maybe tastebuds are out tonight?
nope they are workin just fine, as it warmed in my hand it suddenly exploded with flavor! awesome chocolate and vanilla up front with some cinnamon, the pepper spices kick in half way thru to the finish. wow these peppers work well too and they start prickling on your tongue as it rolls around. it's very unique to this beer and they pull it off.

m- cigar city has the mouthfeel down on their beers and this is no different. great mouthfeel from the start, think and chewy the entire time.

o- this expirience is defintly memorable. this one requires to be a tad warmer than most so keep that in mind when you decided to crack it open. maybe due to the peppers and cinnamon, but when it's there, it's fricken there, and than dammit you don't have enough to squench this new found taste.

I had high expectations for this guy, I've had a lot of cigar city and they have always exceeded my expectations. this one really let me down at first, and than turned me around and kicked me off my chair. trade for it and try it fresh, keep in mind to let this guy warm up a bit longer than your typical imperial stouts and be prepared for a very unique and memorable experience.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing