Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 707 | Hads: 3,552
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Cigar City hasn't been too kind to me. While I really appreciate the chance to try them, neither of the Zhukov blends were all that impressive (unless you like 750 ml of tasty, liquid volcanic ash) and the rest of the lineup has ranged from "meh" to "bleh."

But, considering how this brew has shot up the charts, I had to have me some honey-puss! Thanks beeruser for this and the awesome shirts!

I sat down and prepared for this tasting by heating and jostling the beer by tossing it into my dryer in order replicate the tasting conditions that the brewer prefers. I then poured myself 2.3 oz (it almost touched my lips before I realized it was a mere 2.15 oz or so. I quickly corrected the amount).

Gorgeous beer. Stand-up-and-applaud worthy. Lustrous and black, it absorbs light and defecates darkness. Dark, dark, dark brown head ... one of the darkest I can recall, and it settles down to a pleasant dark foam crust.

The aroma lets me know this isn't going to be the volcanic char ash bomb that Zhukov was. Cocoa AND dark chocolate on the nose, along with some dark fruits ... some interesting roasted malt/licorice ... maybe a touch of vanilla and molasses. Thankfully, no pepper/spiceiness to the aroma! I was not looking forward to that component of the beer.

Taste is also very, very good. Strong chocolate mixed with sweet malt mixed with a roasted background mixed with a lingering acrid aftertaste sprinkled with a hint of dark fruit/anise/licorice/molasses. And vanilla. I wish the vanilla was a bit more prominent, as it might liven things up even more.

Nice silky, deeply thick mouthfeel. Not as drinkable of a beer (of its kind) as Darkness, Black Tuesday, or a few others, but an excellent brew. Great job Cigar City.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on 2013-06-29 in Lititz, PA. Special thanks to matador677.

A - Fantastic. Completely opaque black with a rich dark brown, 1-finger head that is surprisingly lively.

S - Roasted grain, dark chocolate, cherry, plum

T - Dark roasted grain, plum, tart grape skins, dark chocolate, char, chalk, vanilla and some toffee/molasses sweetness. Subtle but certainly-present chili and cinnamon flavors. It finishes nicely tart and rich with a hint of coffee, bold dark chocolate and pepper-cinnamon.

M - Medium-thick body and light-medium carbonation. Smooth, creamy, lucious.

O - An explosion of flavor.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

I got this bottle in a trade with urwithdave

Pours black as night and it produces a finger width of very dark mocha colored head and leaves a ring of lace with each drink. The nose has a lot of chocolate, then the next most powerful is vanilla, and lastly cinnamon I don't pick up any peppers which is a little sad. Now with the taste some things change that I didn't expect where I didn't smell a lot of cinnamon I pick it up more in the taste also with the vanilla. The chocolate play background to the cinnamon and vanilla, but this time I pick up just a slight hint of pepper which is very hard to notice (maybe I need to try it fresher). The mouthfeel is amazing its just what I expect out of big world class stouts. Huge massive, chewy body that coats the inside of my mouth and lingers. This was a huge want of mine mainly due to having Conquistador De Muerte from FFF and loving it due to the spicy pepper presence. I expected Huna to be just as spicy but alas it wasn't. But all in all an amazing beer that I would love to try on tap.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

I want to give a shout out to Masterski for giving me the heads up that Cigar City still had some bottles of Hunahpu's left. Very glad to have the opportunity to try this beer.

This is one thick looking beer is my first reaction. The head rises from within and is about as dark & gold as I've ever seen. Almost a metallic gold colored head. Nice retention which finally settles to a ring around the glass. There isn't classic lacing, but the beer has metallic golden legs. Swirl it around and it literally coats the inside of your glass. Shiny deep brown in color and totally opaque.

The aroma lets you know there is a great deal of complexity here. Sweet, chocolate dark roasted malt.... A touch of cinnamon and just a sense of the peppers. If I didn't know the peppers were there, I could not have pulled it out. But once you know, you can detect the aroma a touch. At certain points while drinking it I sensed vanilla, but that was definitely later as it warmed further.

A lot happening here and this is almost as sweet as Dark Lord. Dark chocolate at first, roasted malt second. Then an explosion of different tastes. Each sip is a little different. After you swallow you get a slight warming from the peppers, but no spice at all. Prunes, molasses, vanilla at certain moments. The dark chocolate is probably the most consistent flavor. There is a brief moment of ABV, but not hit at all. Very complex.

The body is about as thick as I've seen. Just shy of syrup. Again, I mention the coating ability of this beer. Smooth until the peppers hit and provide a little tickle in your throat.

Grab at least two friends to try and kill this bottle. A slow sipper and one that you should enjoy in conservative quantities. I really enjoyed this, but if it had just a touch more vanilla I think it would be off the charts. The body on this is amazing.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to Dan for hooking this up. Poured into a tulip. This has a nice creamy looking tan head atop a pitch black body. There is a bit of sticky lacing.

The aroma is full of delicious chocolate (really nice bittersweet dark chocolate). There is a bit of sweetness from the malt. I get a bit of a vegetal aroma that could be the chilies or the hops; it isn't very powerful.

The taste is, like the aroma, mostly chocolatey. There is some nice support with the vanilla flavor. There is just enough sweetness to bring out the best flavors. The finish has just the slightest bit of heat from the chillies.

The mouthfeel here is really enjoyable. The body is relatively heavy, even for a stout (probably because of the adjuncts) and the carbonation leaves a nice fluffy sensation. This is a great mouthfeel.

This beer is not only unique, it's very enjoyable. I had it last year, was confused at the first sip, but at the end of my glass I loved it. I will look to have it again for sure.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

great mouthfeel and an interesting blend of flavors. 2015 bottle and cinnamon seemed to be the dominant flavor pulling through. hint of chili hit the back of the throat to finish. didn't pick up as much vanilla as i was hoping for. overall a great imperial stout.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle from LiquidDegenerate, thanks so much!

Appearance- The end-all, be-all of imperial stouts as far as appearance goes. As dark as physically possible, viscous with a very dark brown head. Head recedes to a dark ring around the edges of the glass

Smell- Heavy roast, cocoa, and mild vanilla are the most forward for me. A touch of alcohol and some coffee notes are around as well. No real cinnamon presence on the nose, which would have been nice, but overall, it smells great.

Taste- Big, dark cocoa up front that mixes with coffee and a touch of vanilla. Cinnamon is tough to pick up, but it is perceptible. A twinge of pepper heat mixes with sweet alcohol and gives it an intriguing finish.

Mouthfeel- Wonderfully full, rich, and coating. Finishes sweet and sticky.

Overall- Much more drinkable for a huge stout than I was expecting, and it's really enjoyable. Really glad I got to try this.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Super excited to pop this bottle open. Had it for the first time last year during Philly Beer Week and was blown away. Bottle acquired via trade.

Pour is awesome: Pours a jet black with a deep tan head that sticks around for the whole ride. Excitement.

The nose is fantastic. Complex spice flavors meld with the vanilla and chocolate notes. Exactly what I remembered.

The taste follows suit. The taste is initially cinnamon, then I can actually taste the chilies used in the beer, followed by the spiciness of the chilies and then finishing out with a bittersweet chocolate tone.

Mouthfeel is fantastic too. Silky, thick and viscous. So good.

After about 4 oz I am finished with this beer just because it is so immense. The hype is well deserved.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

750 ml bottle brought over for a tasting by Mike. Split between three of us and paired with chile chocolate and 70% cocoa chocolate. Poured into three globe glasses.

A: Extremely deep black body with a seriously rich, frothy and bubbly dark mocha colored head. It settled rather quickly into a thin film covering with some minor lacing but nice legs from the alcohol. Not bad but I think the higher ABV contributed to lack of lacing and brought on more legs.

S: Roasted caramel malts, bittersweet chocolate, chile flesh, vanilla beans and a slight smoked flavor. I'm not sure if wood was used in any way during the brewing but apart from the roasted malts there's a distinct smokey element. The chocolate seems to dominate the aroma for me with a touch of chile skin/flesh at the end. Seriously complex and wonderful.

T: Dark chocolate (slightly bitter) comes through first, followed by the roasted malt base. Vanilla shines through big towards mid-palate and the chiles, caramel and smoke come through towards the finish. The chiles don't seem to impart any heat even in the linger; instead give the beer an additional depth of flavor. So many things are going on in this beer and they all work incredibly well together.

M: Not as full-bodied and chewy as I would have liked but there's nothing thin about this. It has a decent level of carbonation giving this a fuller medium body with nothing dry in the finish. It's smooth and flavorful without any alcohol detection - dangerously drinkable.

I have to say, this might be one of the most unique and delicious Imperial Stouts to date. The complexity of adding so many different ingredients to this beer and having them work so well together shows the outstanding craftsmanship from the brewers at Cigar City. Pushing the envelope while retaining such quality is seriously impressive. A wonderful beer that everyone should try to taste once in their life.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a cigar city snifter glass.

Appearance: Dark black bodied beer with a dark brown head less than a one fingers head. Motor Oil yet again!

Smell: Smells of roasty coffee and dark chocolate. Mild smoke noted also.

Taste: Vanilla hits the palate with a mild sweetness, but makes its present know. The malts are of roasty coffee and become integrated with the peppers which impart a taste of smoke, spiciness and an almost meaty flavor to this beer. I really don't get much cinnamon out of this beer, it seems to be a minor player and is out done by the peppers. Bakers chocolate is found mid-taste and brings everything together. It offers a dry finish to the beer and really makes the vanilla sweetness pop. It excentuates the roasty coffee notes imparted from the malts and adds the mild zip from the peppers. What a nice complexity the beer has going here!

Mouthfeel: Full bodied beer with low carbonation. Motor Oil consistency.

Overall: One of the more complex Imperial Stouts that I have tried to date. Especially when you throw in the factor of this beer not being aged in a barrel. Nice balance of the many ingredients used in brewing this beer. The verdict is that I do enjoy Hunahpu more than Marshall Z after tring both of these beers tonight.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to a very generous BA at DLD for pouring a very generous sample. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - poured pitch black with a short lived brown sugar head that left spotty lacing. Deep garnet brown hues in the light. 4.0

S - Wow this is an intensely roasty and complex nose. I get hints of cinnamon, coffee, carob, and vanilla all over the place. Words do not do this justice. Intense and I cannot wait for the taste! 4.5

T - Very much like the nose but much more chocolatey. The roast is a bit subsided but is replaced by toffee and vanilla. A deep fruity sweetness rounds out the finish and the aftertaste brings a touch of spicy chili. A bit like Lindt's Chili Chocolate. 4.5

M - The mouthfeel was a touch thin IMO. It barely gave a coating on the palate, however the carbonation was nicely done. 4.0

D - Can't taste any of the 11.5%. Very flavorful and satisfying. 4.5

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to WankelEngine for the pour.

Bottle into GI Matilda glass

A- literally looks like motor oil on the pour. Bubbles to modest millimeter head of light brown/dark cream, which then fades to film. Black coffee shade of brown, opaque.

S- tobasco sauce, booze prominent. Cinnamon spice and light chocolate beneath.

T- chocolate and deep, deep malt roast. Like eating a burnt s'more on a piece of toast, to chase a shot of hard liquor with a few drops of hot sauce.

M- reminds me of a thicker plead the fifth. Slick, velvety, warming, slightly sticky

O- Excellent, a shame it's so rare. Happily taking note that all the complex flavors/ingredients are mostly balanced. Not sure what to make of the peppers. I like them a lot, but i should try more brews with this additive.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Incredibly complex flavor-shifter. I sipped it out of a tiny snifter. It wasn't as spicy as I expected. It's clear why this beer is so well respected. The cinnamon may have been a bit over-bearing. If you land a bottle, I suggest sharing. For all of its hype, it did not let me down. But I still say that Bomb! wears the chili stout crown.

-Darfius McGarfus

-2012 vintage-

A - oily black in color with a warm, cocoa-colored head and lacing.

S - Dark chocolate upfront followed by rich, roasted malt. I also get a bit of chili pepper and cinnamon in the end. As it warms it starts to sweeten with vanilla and some coffee bean/molasses.

T - There's a nice smoky heat in the finish, but it does not resemble chipotle peppers...
overall, it's smooth and velvety, especially for the complexity and high abv. As it warms, there is a nice ebb and flow between the flavors of chili, cocoa, and cinnamon. This beer really starts to shine is it warms. It takes on qualities of mole and espresso.

M - It's oily and a bit thinner in mouthfeel then I expected. It's still chewy, which is nice, but it's not as viscus as I would have expected.

O - I had very high expectations for this beer. I probably built it up too much, but it's a damn nice stout with a flavor profile which I wish was more prevalent in the craft beer world. I loved "cocoa mole", so I was hoping this would knock my socks off... It did for the most part. It's a shame it's so hard to get a bottle or two. I would like to try it fresh now that I've had it with the better part of a year on it.

4.41/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: Dark as all hell...just like I like my beers. Light brown head.
Smell: Pepper spiciness and some cinnamon
Taste: Dark fruit. Also spiciness and a touch of cinnamon.
Feel: Nice and chewy....love it.

Overall: Really great beer. I can see why it gets praised. Unlike any other beer I have ever had. I am really curious to find out what barrel aging will do to it.

4.41/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750 mL bottle drank as part of a Better Beer Authority (BBA) blind tasting, unknown bottling date but 2013 vintage, poured into a large snifter glass and drank over ~30 minutes:

A: 2/3 - dark brown-to-black (cannot read or see through), creamy tan carbonation pours thick and then settles into a subtle glass lacing, large alcohol legs that recirculates on swirling

S: 10/12 - lots of complex notes that were initially muted with a cold pour but then started to pop - caramel, toffee, molasses, vanilla, coconut, cinnamon; the typical imperial stout notes - chocolate, roasted coffee/espresso, roasted barley - were present but took a back seat to the other aroma; some alcohol; no hop character

T: 18/20: on the front of the tongue, the flavor follows the aroma - big vanilla bean, coconut, toffee, caramel and cinnamon; in the middle of the mouth, these flavors continue to develop and expand with lots of malt sweetness; some alcohol character with a mild-to-moderate residual sweetness on the aftertaste

M: 4/5 - big sticky mouthfeel from the rich malts and alcohol; moderate-to-high carbonation for style

O: 8/10 - I had the privilege to try this beer as part to a BBA blind beer tasting and thanks to Dave Martinez for the opportunity; obviously, there's lot of hype surrounding this beer, and, I think, it was close to living up to it; as part of the blind tasting, I thought that this beer was barrel-aged, which is a huge compliment to its complexity; the only reason that I didn't score it higher was because there was too much residual sweetness on the back of the palate and in the aftertaste; it if was a little drier, this would have easily been a 9 or 10 overall; would love to try DB Hunahpu next!

TOTAL - 42/50

4.41/5  rDev -2.2%

A privilege to try thanks to drink1121.

Maybe the blackest brew out of the bottle I've ever seen, with a denseness to back it up. Large well formed dark dark chocolate head sits on top for quite a while, finally settles to a nice collar and dense patch in the middle.

Given the description on the bottle and the wildfire reputation it's gotten, I wasn't altogether sure what to expect. On the nose it's roasty, dark, and almost sharp. Blackened grains give off a bitter aroma that's deepened by some very interesting smells - dark chocolate, leather, tree bark, and kind of an old smell of dark wood paneled rooms long hung with tobacco smoke and years of winter fires burned in the fireplace. Complex and interesting. Hard to nail down.

Taste is similar, but a little more distinct. Definite strong smoky tobacco overrides chocolate (but it's still in there), with a sensation like a partially smoked pipe or cigar, some smoke already infused in the tobacco flavor, but without being too smoky at all at the same time. Coarse toasted bread holds the foundation, but it's enhanced with a lot of damp bitterness and and a dry raspy warmth, likely from the peppers. Becomes more bitter at the end, where the rawness of the cocoa also shows through with some more hints of leather, earthy soil and tree bark. Some hops are definitely present at the finish, but don't stand out as much on their own. Vanilla seems really mild and only shows some in airy flavors left after the sip. So much flavor piled on top of itself that it doesn't quite all show through, but it doesn't necessarily need to.

Feel is really quite ideal as a compliment to the flavors and style. Strong and full, but not too thick or too dense. Seems to be as strong as it needs to be without being too much. Not quite chewy, but with a rather enormous presence. Carbonation tingles and cuts the body slightly, with the bitterness drying it out some at the end.

Drinks nicely. A bit sharp up front, with very little alcohol showing through but plenty of bitterness and dry dark notes to keep an edge on it. Very little sweetness is evidenced, but there must be some in there somewhere to keep it balanced. Each sip improves the complexity and overall experience. Strong, and definitely not for drinking a lot of with any sense of regularity, but a fantastic one to have and to try. Excellent overall.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Big thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a inky black color with a brown, small head. The beer is oily and coats the sides of the glass. The aroma is roasted and burnt malt with dark fruit. The flavor is cinnamon, dark fruit, roasted/burnt malt, semi-sweet chocolate and pepper. The mouthfeel and thick and chewy and the carbonation is pretty low.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to HawkeyeDaz for cracking this open yesterday.

Pours a soul-crushing black with a dark, tan head. There is nobody that makes a more appetizing looking beer than Cigar City and this is no exception.

In the nose, I get ample amounts of cocoa, coffee bean, a tinge of cedar to go along with the chili peppers.

Mmmm, this tastes so deliciously complex! I get the spiciness of the peppers upfront, blended in very well with chocolate, coffee and the slightest, slightest hints of cinnamon. Vanilla soothes out this savage beast making it a smooth finish.

Heavy body, thick coat going down. Beautifully carbonated for the style. Just a terrific, unique treat from Cigar City. Loved it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hand bottle via trade, big thanks to Gillard for this rarity. Shared it at a tasting.

Pours pitch black and pretty viscous with a creamy tan head that has some large bubbles.

Amazing aroma - chocolate, spices, roast, smoke, and mild chili peppers. Really awesome.

Flavor is incredible and moves through several phases. Starts with semi-sweet chocolate then roast and coffee, followed by some smoke, vanilla, then chili peppers, cinnamon, wood and bitter cocoa and hops on the finish. The complexity is pretty crazy.

Medium full on the palate with a bitter cocoa chalkiness. Bitterness really sticks with you, and I feel like it's more from the cocoa than the hops.

Drinkability is not great, but I think this works very well as a sipper. This is pretty much the best cigar beer ever.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a rich, dark black with a cap of tan head leaving some lacing. Smell is of sweet chocolate, light roasted coffee, touches of vanilla, cinnamon, spice and dark cherry. Taste is a touch more aggressive then scent with a more roasty and boozy quality, the pepper comes through and leaves a touch of lingering flavor on the toungue. Full bodied, thick and semi-syrupy yet smooth. A very nice big stout that didnt quite blow me away like the Apple brandy version.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Jet black, heavy handed pour yielded almost 2 finger beautiful mocha head. Leaves a nice oily residue when swirled. A bit on the cold side, but maybe a faint metallic whiff mixed in with cinnamon and cocoa. Chocolate and cinnamon dominate the flavor. Maybe a slight prickle from the pepper, but not hot by any means. Pleasantly thick mouthfeel for a non-BA stout. This beer seems to cry out for a barrel. Overall a strong offering, but perhaps I expected too much after drinking the revelation that was DBH.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a half inch head, no lace.

The smell starts with chocolate, graham cracker and cinnamon, sugar at the finish. Very intriguing smell.

Talk about a flavor explosion! Spicy cinnamon and graham cracker and bittersweet chocolate start this. There is a bit of earthy goodness and vanilla in the middle, straight spicy chili pepper finish! Goes down thick and a bit boozy.

Believe the hype! A very well crafted imperial stout! I hope I can get one to cellar!

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 750ml into an imperial pint glass.

Hunahpu's is obsidian bee-lack. An aggressive pour will put 1-2 finger head on this beer. Head is fine and dark camel colored. Lacing is very fine when present.

Aroma is a burnt offering of sorts with casdades of black coffee, sweet dark malts, dark chocolate, and licorice.

Flavor is is a knockout - espresso, dark chocolate, burnt malt, toasted almonds, some grassy hops, finishing with some caramel and vanilla followed by some spicey chile shades at the sides of the tongue. The chile flavor does not make camp here, just a brief appearance. Can't say that the cinnamon was detectable amidst all the other flavors. A crazy whirlwind of flavors. Alcohol is very well masked.

Hunahpu's is very silky, chewy, and super dry due to the 11.5% abv.

Overall this one gets a firm attaboy along side some of the best imperial stouts. A real winner this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared with StayWhatYouAre2 during our annual rare beer tasting. Poured into a Bruery snifter.

A: Thick, syrupy, nearly black pour produces a medium one finger mocha head that makes the mouth water. Decent head retention with some of the most impressive lacing I've seen, and long legs. Couldn't get much better than this.

S: Smokey with bitter dark chocolate up front, along with vanilla, bacon, and slight anise, coffee, hops and booze. I don't pick up any peppers or chili, but am not disappointed what is present in the nose.

T: The taste matches the smell quite well. Starts with dark chocolate and toffee, greeted by a smokiness and slight hoppiness, finishing with a bits of coffee, hops, and a mild booze burn. Still no ancho or pasilla chilies, but a bit of a chili burn at the back of the throat the more you drink and the more it warms. Would have liked just a bit more of the chili bite, but the lack thereof doesn't negatively effect the quality.

M: Coating and chewy; probably as close to chocolate syrup as a beer could come. Very mild carbonation, which adds to the viscosity, yet keeps it slightly lively on the palate. Slight booze burn on the back end.

D: Mildly drinkable, at best. This is a tough one to put down. Although this bottle was shared, it wasn't finished in one evening. Maybe we're wimps, but this is a definite sipper and great for sharing with at least two people. Overall Hunahpu's really delivers ... in appearance, smell, taste, and mouthfeel. I loved it!

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing