Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
2.95/5  rDev -35.4%

2011 vintage shared with 2 non-BA's, my Dad & sister, sometime in early April. Big thanks to Belthor for this one.

Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a thick jet black with the darkest head that I've ever seen. The head was about a 2-finger billowy chocolate color and had great retention. Great lacing.

S - Large amounts of spicy chili's with a slight vanilla undertone. Also present is roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and sweet dark malts. It definitely smells different, but not so much in a good way.

T - Up front are notes of cocoa, a mild coffee, and a little vanilla. I can't get past the sickeningly sweetness that follows next. On the finish, I get a lot of cinnamon and a little bit of spicy chili's, but both are more unpleasant than anything. Very strong presence of burning alcohol.

M - The mouthfeel was good and pretty much what I'd expect. It was smooth, creamy, rich, and fairly full-bodied. My only gripe was that it seemed to be a little over carbonated.

D - Overall, the drinkability just isn't there for me. The taste is unappealing and tough to drink, given the sweetness and alcohol burn.

I'm glad that I got a chance to try it, but that'll be it for me.

kevinv, May 07, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -35.4%

Maybe I built this one up too much but I was greatly disappointed with 2013 Huna. The look and feel of this beer were amazing but for some reason all I could smell and taste was olives.

After a bit I finally got some vanilla undertones but this thing tasted like a olive bomb. No chocolate, no chilies, this thing was a mess.

bryang002, Mar 25, 2013

beergeekokla, Jul 21, 2014

SatlyMalty, Jul 23, 2013

bthomas, Apr 18, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks to Abel for sharing at his tasting:

A - Pours jet black with about 2 fingers of mocha head. Dissipates moderately leaves some nice lacing. Great job.

S - Melanoidins, chiles, milk chocolate and some light roasted coffee. The melanoidins have almost reached a soy sauce phase and the chiles came as a bit of a surprise. Some alcohol flavors, which are to be expected with a heavyweight.

T - Starts with some malt roastiness and heavy melanoidins, which are a bit cloyingly sweet. Followed by chocolate, vanilla, and a moderate dose of alcohol warmth. Light bittering hops finish the taste.

M - Malt dominated, with a medium to full body. Lots of carbonation and a cloying creaminess. There is quite a kick of alcohol warmth.

D - My expectations were let down by this beer. The alcohol warmth is a bit much and the beer is too cloying. It is almost as if the yeast were unhealthy. This beer could use some heavy aging as well.

In general, I think most BAs are quick to hype imperial stouts and poo-poo the lagers. There are some well crafted imp stouts like Abyss, Old Rasputin, Kate the Great, and Dark lord, but this isn't one of them.

MisterClean, Jul 07, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -32.2%

This is an odd ball stout. It looks great. Dark and rich. Ruby tints

The first thing I got in the aroma was smoked green pepper, and it stayed. The thing with peppers is that they'll dominate taste and smell (at least the green ones and while cooking). No difference here. While cocoa, cinammon, and coffee exist, they are tainted.

taste is just a mess. The cedar, smoke, & peppers don't mesh well in this one. Cinammon adds something different other than musky stuff, but not enough save the tate. And the cocoa is muddle.

Not a good taste. Too bad

Mebuzzard, May 06, 2012

mquartuccio87, Dec 02, 2013

hopluva1, May 24, 2013

SwG237, Aug 15, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -27.8%

Split with airohead2001. Poured into a snifter.

A: This beer has the darkest head I have seen. I would describe the head as dirt brown. Nice retention and nice lacing. The beer itself is black.

S: I thought this smelled like a candy cane dipped in salsa, plus a little bit of ethanol. Not exactly what I consider pleasant.

T: Some sourness up front and then a lot of the chile at the finish. Some cinnamon and chocolate in there as well, but not as noticeable. I recently had the bourbon county stout with ancho chiles and thought that it had a similar profile to this beer, but found the bourbon county to be much more rounded, and interesting.

M: Nice viscosity, but a bit overcarbonated for my liking.

D. Fine. I enjoyed trying this beer, but would not search it out again.

glazeman, Sep 09, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -27.1%

2013 release, served in snifter

A - Black, creamy dark brown head, finger length... not much lacing

S - Milk chocolate

T - tastes like an imperial milk stout

M - Rich and creamy

O - Very disappointed, I would have much preferred the 4 KBS I traded for this... the beer is very one dimensional to me. I served the beer at 55 degrees and over an hour drank this beer and let it warm to room temp. It smells like carbonation was rushed if that makes sense to home brewers. I did not get any of the spice or vanilla... it just tastes like a creamy chocolate milk stout... not that that is bad, I just expected a lot more from this... I think this is the first beer where I gave the highest rating due to the appearance... due to it's price/rarity and what it is trading for I would give the beer a 2 out of 5.

jdprmd, May 01, 2013
3.35/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Ah, Hunaphu's. After hating the MZ I got, I was dreading this, but I can say easily that this one is much better.

A- Motor oil black and a thin but heavy brownie-batter head. Sticks to the side of the glass. This stuff is thick.

S- Deep, impenatrable darkness. Intense dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate. A very nice nose.

T- Very sweet- reminds me a little of Dark Lord and of course of MZ. However, the chili spice comes out on the finish and does a pretty good job cutting through the stout. I like it. A little goes a long way, but I like the mild heat that builds. The cinnamon is nice on the tongue, makes it taste a bit like graham crackers.

M- Thick, syrupy, and too sweet. The chile is delightful though and brings this one along, saving it from being too much. Carbonation is too low for my tastes.

O- 2oz is all you need. Chile is nice- saves the beer from being the trainwreck that MZ is. I'd have this one again. Not worth trading an arm and a leg for, but the uniqueness makes this worth seeking out. YMMV.

ShogoKawada, Oct 07, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -24.9%

This is a review of the one released December 2011. My sister and brother-in-law brought it with them from Tampa.

Appearance: black and syrupy, low head formation, but dark tan/brown foam (never seen head this dark!)

Aroma: big notes of molasses, dark chocolate, soy sauce, rum, vanilla, and pipe tobacco

Flavor: full malty sweetness (almost cloying), but the burnt sugar, coffee, smokiness, rich roast, and cocoa notes do balance it out a little bit; laced with vanilla, tobacco, and cinnamon (in the background); finishes sweet with long-lingering caramel, roast, and molasses

Mouthfeel: full (almost syrupy) body, mild carbonation, some alcohol warmth, but most of the warming comes from the chili spice that slowly builds

Other comments: Woah. It is almost shocking how dark and thick this beer is when it emerges from the mouth of the bottle. I actually did a double-take. I have never seen a beer this dark. Drinks like a meal. I'm glad I tried it, but I probably wouldn't buy it again.

GreenCard, Mar 31, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a flat looking crude black and brown, almost no head on it, nothing to provide lace or retention. Aroma, didn't pull any chile or cinnamon out of this one, just smelled like a lot of two row and roasting, which is fine.

Taste, muted chile flavors, nowhere near what a good chili beer should have. Solid roast flavor, chocolate was mild. Thickness of the beer was substantial, but for all the discussion about how complex this beer is, I found it to be extremely run of the mill and straightforward. Some chocolate malt, some minor bland chili additions, I don't know where the notion of cinnamon comes, maybe you just have to drink these uber fresh. Unfortunately, I didn't pull any of those flavors out of the fresh rum barrel one either. Didn't really see what the big difference between this and Marshall Zhukov was, other than that one is even more sludge like.

Just flat out, one of the more disappointing top 100 beers I've ever come across. Not a bad beer, but really not a great one either. Take a standard giant stout, make it limited, blam.

No wonder so many of these are on ebay vs. drinking them yourself.

Beerandraiderfan, Apr 25, 2012