2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Hunahpu's Imperial StoutHunahpu's Imperial Stout

Ratings: 2052

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 2,052 | Reviews: 594 | Show All Ratings:
Culture

3.6/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I tried this Brandy Barrel Hunaphu this past weekend. All of my friends are hyped up about this brew. I enjoyed the smell very much. It smells delicious , vanilla, and cinnamon came out most.

As far as the taste I was not very impressed. It was a harsh burn. I enjoy imperial stouts but this have me some heart burn. I will be trying regular hunaphu this week. I will let you know if it was just the BB that did not peak my taste.

07-16-2013 21:41:58 | More by Culture
tarheels86

3.63/5  rDev -20.2%

750mL 2010 ed courtesy of Travlr. Pours ink well black with a head so dark brown it looks Martian red. Jesus. Very nice lace. Aroma is grapes, smoked meats, barbecue ribs, bacon. Interesting mix. Taste is fresh grapes, raisins and moves to a chalky, powdery finish. I think the base beer here, Zhukov, is one of my least favorite Imperial stouts. The Hunahpu treatment is a shoe in for an amazing beer, but the base beer is just so bad that you can’t hide from it. Maybe do the Hunahpu treatment to the 110K. 4/12/2010 8/5/7/3/14=3.7

09-06-2012 19:04:13 | More by tarheels86
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks are due to Karl (kfsv034) for this bottle.

The pour is seriously impressive, black with an espresso foam-colored head that recedes leaving no lace. The color of this beer made me smile, the last beer earning such an honor being Black Tuesday.
The nose is just excellent. Heavenly with a heavily roasted malt character along with dark chocolate, coffee and a light spice character, there's almost a molasses-like character to this. Some fruitiness is present as well. Alcohol is noticeable. The chili character is quite low, much to my liking, the combination of dark cocoa character and the chili and roast is quite excellent.

I've noticed that there's a certain offset between what my nose experiences and what my palate does, and this beer is just another data point confirming that. What seems balanced and complex to my nose often fails the palate test, and this is no different. Opening thick and heavy with a lot of heavily roasted malt character, there's a touch of char as well. A little anise is noticeable early, but there's a grainy, husky tannic character. Prominent cocoa character is present. Vanilla appears mid palate, with the cinnamon and chili character being low (both of which could be a cultural bias, since I use quite a fair bit of both spices in my cooking and the moderate level isn't really noticeable to me). Finishing with a boozy sweetness, the mouthfeel is definitely flabby, not well integrated at all, quite disjointed, in fact. Full in body with medium-low level of carbonation, this isn't my cup of tea. It's not drinkable in large quantities, and doesn't strike me as a particularly well-crafted beer. I drank about 6-8oz, and was quite content.

03-24-2010 01:36:48 | More by DefenCorps
seeswo

3.65/5  rDev -19.8%

Pour is viscous like motor oil - thick and black with oily brown head and a body that coats the glass and hangs out anywhere it goes. The nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of vanilla and spice. I don't get the peppers. Good, but nothing special. Controversy in the taste. Split this with a few non-BA beer lovers - people who love a good brown ale but are rarely exposed to crazy 750mL imperial stouts. They thought it was really good, whereas I did not. Either way, the chilis hit you in the throat in a very minor fashion. They must have faded considerably looking at other reviews because I get them only as a mime for heartburn, and barely or not at all on the back of the tongue. This makes them not a particularly pleasant addition. The spices and the vanilla are mostly masked as well. The taste is dramatically like a really, really dark chocolate - but one that is not too bitter as to be overly dry. In fact, in contrast to almost everyone, I found this to be pretty one-note. It drinks kind of easy for what it is, with a big body and low carbonation. It really didn't come together for me and I kind of wish I had had it fresh.

07-18-2011 15:12:11 | More by seeswo
ColdPoncho

3.78/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes, 2-26-2011

A - dark black body with a small head that's almost as dark.

S - metallic notes are up front, some vanilla, some chocolate.

T - Dark flavors, chocolate, smoke, coffee, hot peppers. bitter and dry. An awful lot going on without an awful lot of balance.

M - heavy, fairly smooth, medium body, dry.

D - a powerful beer that isn't that good tasting. slows you down.

02-27-2011 16:10:31 | More by ColdPoncho
Arbitrator

3.8/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Lightly chilled bottle into a small glass... Many, many refills off this one. Thanks to HonusWagner for the trade.

My bottle was filled right to the brim and it leaked in transit, but it was still carbed and tasted great.

A: Pours one of the deepest, richest blacks I've ever seen in an imperial stout. It's capped by a thick inch of dark mocha head, with very solid retention, especially for its ABV. The final product is a nice collar on the brew. It's mildly leggy in swirls, leaving some residue on the sides of the glass.

S: Cocoa, vanilla, coffee, anise. A mild aroma of roasted, even charred, peppers comes through.

T: Very rich and vibrant. Initially I was disappointed by restrained spiciness, but it grows on me after a few sips. It's very cocoa-y on the initial taste, with a nice assortment of molasses, coffee, and very light vanilla (and that's only because I'm looking for it) complementing the flavor. I get mild anise near the finish. There's a mild peppery bite that carries well into the aftertaste (where I pick up some char, but not enough to complain about). Absolutely a top-notch flavor. Lots of things going on here, but the balance between the peppers, cocoa, and anise is very inviting.

M: Full-bodied in flavor, though not super-viscous. A mild alcohol warmth in the finish is all that hints at the ABV. The flavors are oddly integrated; at times, they're very smooth and play off each other well, but some sips are dominated by cocoa and others by char. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's a flaw. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of thick, syrupy stouts -- i.e. they won't automatically get a 5.0 on mouthfeel just for having a lot of residual sugar -- but when the flavor has this much going on, I'm impressed.

D: This is HEAVY. I tackled the bottle alone, and it took me over 6 hours to finish. It made me so full that it was uncomfortable. Maybe I should have split it, but since it leaked in transit (a major ding for this), I had no choice. Anyway, it's tough to finish and rather expensive, not a thrilling combination.

EDIT: I've tried additional bottles since the first. This beer varies a lot from bottle to bottle. I downgraded the appearance and taste scores slightly to accommodate the other ones I tried. I recommend it, but with reservations.

04-16-2010 03:36:02 | More by Arbitrator
pepsican

Iowa

3.8/5  rDev -16.5%

Black black black. Super dark brown head. Up front aroma of vanilla, toffee, chocolate, and caramel. Flavor is more vanilla, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, citrus, and some roasted oats. Big sweet finish, good carbonation. Wish this one had the chili presence I’ve read about, probably my fault for sitting on it for so long.

01-08-2013 20:26:55 | More by pepsican
mistakebythelake

3.83/5  rDev -15.8%

2010 bottle reviewed out of snifter at Big Bad Stout Tasting.

Pours a jet black again with red around the edges similar to base beer Zhukov. Slightest of head dissipates quickly with a slight lacing running down glass. Wow do the chilles really come out when smelling this bad boy. Also got hints of vanilla and oak. Tasted very similar to smell with a almost too much going on for me with muddling of vanilla, peppers and roasted malts and spiciness. Creramy and rich, but almost to rich for me. Very much a sipper at 11.5 % as it will creep up and I preferred Zhukov base beer.

02-27-2011 20:16:11 | More by mistakebythelake
twiggamortis420

3.83/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750 mL of this long-time want courtesy of Tugg407 pours a rich black color with an oily, rainbow-bubbled tan head. Nice retention but oddly not much lace.

Nose is very roasty, slightly smoky with some black licorice and blackberries. Interesting and complex.

Taste is quite interesting, different than most stouts out there. Mexican pepitas, cinnamon, spices and dark chocolate. Somewhat mole-ish but without the peanut butter...soft ancho-esque chilis. Alcohol is big, but well integrated. Mouthfeel is soft and lowly carbed. Truly a unique stout to behold, I kind of wish it was a little more milk chocolaty. The dark fruit adds a nice little complex twist. Its really good, but I wouldnt put it in my personal top 10 stouts.

08-16-2013 01:51:38 | More by twiggamortis420
Schmaltzy

3.84/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2012 bottle poured into surly darkness glass.
Pours a thick dark dark brown like good black licorice with a half finger tan/mocha head that left slight soapy lacing and the beer itself coated the glass with a light brown coating.
The smell is great. You get nice loads of chocolate, slight vanilla, nilla wafers, graham crackers, earthy hops, cinnamon toast crunch and some chilies.
Taste is interesting nice bitter coffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, slight graham cracker and loads of chilies and earthy hops on the finish. Wish the taste was as amazing as the smell.
The mouthfeel was lighter than I had hoped but that might have been the chilies that changed my palate. Slightly too much heat on the finish for me but it did make it easier to drink the bottle all by myself, it would have been tough if it was sweet and cloying.
Overall q good beer that has the most complex smell and a different taste from other stouts. Don't think I need to actively seek out though, I've had it twice now and would like to try a barrel aged treatment to compare.

06-08-2012 17:06:13 | More by Schmaltzy
BeerAndBourbon

3.85/5  rDev -15.4%

A. Pours prettier than Zhukov's with a small coffee colored head that dissipates to a nice ring.

S. Tons of chili pepper in the nose. With vanilla and chocolate malt in the background.

T. The chili is more refined with vanilla and chocolate taking a bigger stance.

M. Bright carbonation (especially compared to the other stouts opened). Fairly thick mouthfeel.

D. Delicious, but the chili is a bit much for me.

02-26-2011 22:05:34 | More by BeerAndBourbon
blackhawks87

3.88/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Bowman2001 for this bottle. Poured into a Darkness snifter. 2011 vintage.

A- Poured straight down the middle into the glass. Looks to be very heavy liquid coming out of the bottle. Body is the color of Darth Vader's helmet, and a big beautiful brown head sits atop the beer. One of the darkest brown heads that I've seen on an imperial stout. Eventually the head fades to a nice brown ring.

S- Initial smell was identical to black olives. That's what I got for the first 30 seconds or so out of the bottle but as the beer warmed the usual suspects come out. Definite strong chocolate and roasted malt presence. Faint spiciness is noticeable within the maltiness of the nose.

T- Outstanding heavy dose of chocolate. I can definitely taste all of the ingredients that the label lists. The chile peppers especially contribute a unique flavor throughout each sip but especially on the finish.

M- Very smooth. Do not taste the 11.5% ABV at all. Extra points for the subtle spicy feeling on the back end. I wish I had another one of these to drink when its 10 below outside. Initial chocolate surge is balanced nicely by the rest of the beer.

O- This beer is delicious. I've tried many imperial stouts but this is the only one brewed with chile peppers I've had. Hope to have it again someday.

06-06-2011 02:54:07 | More by blackhawks87
FosterJM

3.88/5  rDev -14.7%

682nd Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
750 ML

App- A nearly black stout with a thin capped head. A little bit of cling, little bit of webbing.

Smell- This smelled absoutely amazing in the glass. A lot of aromatics, malty, spicy, sweet, oaky, vanilla. Just WOW!

Taste- Really drops off on the taste. Im sensitive to vanilla so I pick that out, but seems a bit muddled with the spice competing with the chocolate and the vanilla. Still tasty but not as good as I thought it would be.

Mouth- Very slick and medium bodied. Same goes for the carbonation on this one.

Drink- A nice beer with a lot going on for me. Too much in fact. A good stout, but probably wont trade for this one.

07-26-2011 02:17:14 | More by FosterJM
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -14.3%

2011 bottle poured into Bruery snifter

A: Thick viscous mixture that is pitch black an a bright tan head that quickly is just lacing.

S: Heavy roast malt, bitterness from cocoa nibs, a slight hint of chile and some smoke.

T: Also a very heavy roast flavor just to Marshal Zhukov style unsurprisingly. A mixture of flavors, none of them overshadowing the roasted burnt ashy malt flavors. Some of the other flavors coming in are a sweet malt backbone, definite chile presence with a tiny bit of heat even coming through. The cocoa nibs are really hard to pick out among cinnamon and chile spices but they are there adding a little bit of bitterness. Some smokey notes are there as well, literally giving this a chipotle feel to the stout.

M: Thick, just as seen in the pour and a light carbonation.

O: I can definitely enjoy it, it has some sweetness mixing in with the smoke, chile peppers, cinnamon and cocoa nibs. This is literally a kitchen sink of beers with many things added. It is good and a beer worth seeking out, but not an all time favorite stout of mine.

07-09-2011 23:25:21 | More by alpinebryant
scottfrie

3.9/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks for sharing, Jeff. 2009 vintage. Sampled next to the Whiskey, AB, Rum and Bourbon.

A: Pours near black with a very thin light brown head. Almost no lace. Very thick looking.
S: No super smelling but I get light notes of fudge, chocolate, and something faintly spicy (chilies).
T: Chocolate definitely dominates followed by the cinnamon. Vanilla really comes through in the finish and aftertaste, and I get a vague hint of spicy chilies throughout. The aftertaste also has light notes of coffee and a touch of sweet caramel. Overall very chocolatey with a good dose of cinnamon.
M: Thick body, low soft carbonation, and a smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is a little tingly from the chilies. The alcohol is hidden well.
O: A very unique and interesting stout. I’ve don’t think I’ve had one that quite tastes like this beer. Good use of cinnamon. This beer was better than some of the –bal aged ones in my opinion.

01-18-2012 01:13:06 | More by scottfrie
brdc

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Large capped bottle brought straight from the brewery by stoutsnipas, thanks!

Tried two different bottles, and unfortunately, some quality control problems seem somewhat obvious.
The dark brown, but not quite black color shows a very faint head, quite different than the gusher a friend had described. Little to no head is formed.
Aroma is quite pleasant, bittersweet chocolate abound, with some coffee, molasses, spices, a hint of bourbon.
The mouthfeel suffers from the underwhelming carbonation, but still feels velvety.
Flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dark fruits, coffee, some spices. Good, but the limited carbonation, unfortunately suggestive of some quality control issues does limit the overall enjoyment.

04-06-2010 05:15:37 | More by brdc
koopa

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

750ml bottle received in a trade with a generous BA thanks!

Appearance: Pours dark as night with a 2 finger brown crown that displays good retention and lace.

Smell: Roast malt, loads of chocolate, smoked chilies, and vanilla.

Taste: Same as nose but with lots of chili presences and roast malt / espresso bitterness taking center stage.

Mouthfeel: Thick, syrupy at times, creamy at other times, with decent carbonation.

Drinkability: The thick mouthfeel, the high abv, and the bitterness from the roast malt hold this one back from scoring higher in the drinkability department.

Not sold on the hype just yet.

05-31-2010 20:09:44 | More by koopa
Phelps

Arizona

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Enjoyed during a tasting with tlay10 right after we tried Marshall Zhukov's, the base beer. If you didn't know, Hunahpu's is Zhukov's aged on Peruvian cocoa nibs, Ancho and Pasillo chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans. Poured from a bottle filled to the absolute brim into a snifter.

Above creamy, inky blackness, a creamy one-finger head, mahogany-colored and the texture of pancake batter, recedes very slowly but steadily, becoming a thin yet lingering ring and a spatter of film, leaving jagged streaks of lace.

More hoppiness in this nose than Zhukov. Along with cedar, the spicy peppers add an interesting vegetal character. Black molasses, light vanilla, oak and cinnamon, in that order.

All the stuff it's aged on adds a different aspect to the flavor: you get some vegetal notes and a tiny bit of heat from the peppers, sweetness from the vanilla and increased chocolate tang from the cocoa nibs. Dark chocolate flavors and a bit of espresso linger amidst the mildly bittersweet finish. Sweet vanilla emerges more as it warms. Wonderfully complex -- every time I sip, something new emerges. This last sip I got cinnamon, the time before it was vanilla. It reminds me almost of dulce le leche.

The mouthfeel is very similar to Zhukov's, though just a shade thinner. Medium, lightly fizzy carbonation in an incredibly creamy and smooth body, and again, absolutely no noticeable alcohol.

I like the complexity here. In small quantities, Hunahpu is great. Zhukov's is more drinkable, however.

01-14-2011 07:23:05 | More by Phelps
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

3.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Thank you GatorBeerNerd for the IP trade for this! Poured into chalice... 2011 vintage

A- Black as night- holy shit this is awesomely dark. Pours the darkest head I've ever seen too! But the head turns out to be tiny and dies instantly.

S- Very roasty, has a soy component that scares me though. Pepper is on the very finish, but it's scarce. Sweet, nutty, toffee also. Chocolate and vanilla play a nice role, but not getting much chile... Probably age

T/M- Absolutely the most dark chocolatey beer I've every had... Starts and finishes with intense chocolate a bold roasty stout to mingle with the chocolate. Vanilla peeks its head out just a bit and the chiles must be too shy to play today... Oh yeah, did I mention this was chocolatey as FUCK! Full, smooth, silky body. Not much carbonation and the finish isn't too heavy or lingering.

O- Great beer, but damn I need to try this fresh... I feel like the chiles and some of the other components that would make this beer do unique weren't fully there for me... I'll be tasting this again down the road thats for sure!

11-09-2011 20:27:25 | More by TheGordianKnot
Shumista

3.98/5  rDev -12.5%

Shared a 750 ml bottle 3 ways as a night cap to a evening of pretty moderate drinking.

Viscous, pitch black, dark brown head. Smells pretty standard stouty (roasty, coffee-y, chocolatey etc) with a little bit of smoked chiles. The core of the taste is also pretty standard big stout flavors more coffee, chocolate, roastiness, brown sugar, a little bit of dark fruit. What sets this one apart though is the subtle underlying flavors. First, the peppers are a really unique addition. My buddies said they tasted a lot of chiles but I only got them very subtly with just a tiny bit of heat that slowly builds with each sip to the point of being noticeable. Vanilla is there for a subtle smoothness, and there is a bit of spiciness (cinnamon) that you have to go searching for. Maybe I only went looking for these subtleties because they were promised on the label and would have missed them otherwise, but this wasn't a blind tasting so everything (including the label) is part of the drinking experience. Mouthfeel is creamy, and thick with a comforting warmth. With everything going on here a small 8-10 oz pour was plenty, I took my time with it and was not particularly sad to see the bottom of the glass feeling like I had thoroughly experienced the beer. Unfortunately while I can't put my finger on why while it was an interesting, unique beer it just didn't blow me away like I had hoped it would.

06-03-2010 19:04:07 | More by Shumista
nkersten

3.98/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a thick black with reddish brown head. Smell of chocolate malts, some alcohol. Sweet malty chocolate flavor up front with a strong chile taste following. Not spicy, not too smokey, the anchos are front and center for this one. Finish has a slight bitterness that doesnt quite balance out the sweet/smokey flavors... somehow this beer still works. Mouthfeel is syrupy and coating, for me it is spot on for an imperial stout. Although I think this is a great twist on the imperial stout, by the end of my glass I was done with the chile flavors. I would be happy to drink this one again but there is no way I could do more then 8oz. That being said, I definitley recommend trying this.

08-11-2010 03:19:31 | More by nkersten
yeahnatenelson

FRE$H 2011 Batch

Appearance -- Pours like motor oil, jet black with faint ruby about the edges and a slim dark chocolate-hued head. It's hard to knock this view. Wish the head had more staying power, but still quite photogenic.

Smell -- Aside from the semisweet roast malt aromas, chile and cocoa are most apparent, with spicy chile heat being most dominant. Vanilla, and finally cinnamon, make themselves known after multiple whiffs. The chile heat nearly singes the hair on your nose - very sharp. Certainly interesting, but not the inviting aroma I was hoping for.

Taste -- Charred malt, molasses sweetness, smoked chiles in chocolate, and in the distance, vanilla and cinnamon. The chili is well-done, lending some rich smokey flavor mid-palate and a nice spicy finish. Lasting flavors of cocoa, red pepper flake, and roast malt that mimics coffee.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied and viscous with mild/moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel flirts with under-carbonation, but is still successful.

Overall -- This was a very nice treat. I appreciate the cocoa and chile additions, but The whole time I drank this I couldn't help but wish that the mouthfeel of the Zhukov's I had recently was this good. Some of the additions, like vanilla and cinnamon, seem to cover up some of the malt complexity of Zhukov's.

Glad I finally got to try this one in its prime, but I'd take a properly carbonated Marshall Zhukov's all the same.

05-03-2011 03:07:54 | More by yeahnatenelson
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

3.98/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle of the 2010 vintage shared with steepH20 while watching the Mavs smack down the Heat. Oh, sweet, sweet justice.

Evil black sludge with a rich cinnamon head that rises and fades likes the summer sun. A nice looking beer. A slick coating lays waste to the snifter sip after sip.

For a year old bottle, this shines brightly with the adjuncts on display: cinammon, chiles, and dark chocolate. Unlike any stout I've had.

Rich baker's chocolate and bitters segues into cinammon and spice from the chiles. Full, thick, and hot. Alcohol peppery heat from the chiles and high abv make for a big drinking stout. As individual flavors, this shows its uniqueness. As a some of its parts, it doesn't really shine in its cohesiveness.

Low carbonation and heavy, thick mouthfeel makes this a long, slow sipper.

I appreciate the uniqueness of this beer and am thankful for the opportunity. While a nice experience, I'm not sure that this should demand the pull this beer seems to require.

06-13-2011 03:28:14 | More by BarrytheBear
jbone78

Poured Black like the stallion of midnight and stuff. I noticed a light tan fizz on top that disappeared fast, like Grease Lightning. Smelled different not like the uncle you rarely see, but more like a Mexican pinata before it is filled, not really but it sounds fun. I guess the smells are from the chiles? The taste is blended nicely with hints of nutmeg or cinnamon, chocolate (unsweet), the blend of chiles and finishes quite dry.

-Bye

04-14-2010 22:42:31 | More by jbone78
zoolzoo

Connecticut

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Big thanks to gford217

A: Pours "pitch black like an oil slick blah blah". Actually Hunahpu scores high marks in appearance because of its massive milk chocolate colored head. I cant chalk it up to my Duvel tulip because Ive been seeing plenty of impys pour into this glass with no head lately. This black liquid actually appears to be staining my glass brown as I swish it around.

S: Chocolate, coffee, some spice. Is that heat from the chili peppers or sharpness from booze? Hunahpu smells pretty good, but not terribly complex.

T: Opens with sweetness/dark fruit bordering on cloying, which mellows to reveal chocolate, vanilla, and a bitterness akin to fresh roasted coffee beans.

Theres definitely spice on the back end but I wish it developed just a little bit more. I found some cinnamon toward the end of the palate, but then again I was looking for it. The chili's become most apparent during Hunahpu's aftertaste, when you notice a bit of heat left to mingle on the palate. Overall the flavors are just huge, palatable, and pretty complex. High marks for taste, but I was hoping for a bit more defining character and less subtleness in regards to the spice.

M: Thoroughly thick and coating.... might stain your teeth. Low carb.

D: Another huge stout suitable for a 6-8oz serving in my opinion. Drinkability suffers due to sweetness, ABV, and general palate assault. For what it is, a great beer that I am glad to have tried.

05-24-2010 16:22:54 | More by zoolzoo