Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009)
Jimmeekrek

Colorado

05-09-2012 21:40:24 | More by Domingo
muttyd

3.5/5  rDev -23.4%

Thanks to Jespo for sharing this bottle!

A - Jet black with a foamy tan head. Great lacing and sticks all over the glass.

S - Coffee, chocolate, roasted malts, slight alcohol.

T - Follows the nose, but the alcohol character is a bit more pronounced. Chili peppers add a nice flavor to this beer as well. Lots going on in this beer.

M - Thick and chewy.

D - I wish the alcohol wasn't as pronounced. Great beer, still.

03-30-2010 01:09:13 | More by muttyd

SDG1070

10-14-2013 17:55:02 | More by SDG1070
Gavage

3.53/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: black in color with a wispy head that breaks down to a clean surface quickly.

Smell: loads of alcohol, pepper, vanilla, and roasted malt tones are easily detectable.

Taste: big flavor as roasted malt is accentuated by some pepper spice, cinammon, vanilla, coffee, and a hint licorice. Alcohol is a bit overwhelming in the beer's flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: a bit thinner than expected for the style. Smooth at the start, smooth and a bit syrupy late. Long lasting alcohol, spice, and roasted tones linger around in the mouth a while.

Drinkability: this is a one glass per session beer. I found this to be a bit hot from the alcohol and spice for me.

06-09-2010 12:09:15 | More by Gavage
MikeGill

3.53/5  rDev -22.8%

Tasted on 2/18/10 at Big Z Beverage in Huntington NY during an in-store event.

This is the Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout with the addition of Pasillo and Ancho peppers along with vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa.

Draught beer poured by the brewer into a plastic cup.

Pours an ink black but unlike the straight Zhukov, there is a small tan head. Huge nose consisting of Bourbon aromas with licorice, chilies and chinese herbs. Smells exotic, like walking into some strange shop in Chinatown.

Big Bourbon-like alcohol heat. Rich and oily with tons of spice and bitterness. Flavors of charred wood and tobacco mix well with cocoa and spices. These flavors will stay on your palate for a long time. In fact, if you wish to taste anything else after Hunahpu's you will have to make a conscious effort to cleanse the palate. This beer has a ton of character. It is definitely an artisan product.

03-05-2010 18:24:40 | More by MikeGill
PlinyBeMiney

3.56/5  rDev -22.1%

Looks awesome. Deep and dark, one of the blackest stouts I've seen. Dark tan head, I love it. I smell the chile's and not much else. Smelled a bit oxidized as it warmed, not as pleasant. Taste is decent. Standard RIS with flavors of chile and very faint chocolate. The vanilla was absent until it warmed a bit. The unfortunate oxidization masks the potential of both the cocoa nibs and vanilla. I was hoping these flavors would be the highlight of the beer. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy. Overall, I'm a tad disappointed. I see the great scores, yet I'm perhaps distracted by a fridge full of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain that I know will never let me down. I can't help but think that Goose Island and the Bruery are way ahead of the flavored stout game.

09-20-2013 02:33:15 | More by PlinyBeMiney
liquidcraft

3.58/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured thick and ominous. Smells smokey. I get roasted malts and coffee beans of an imperial, but smokey chilies are pretty detectable.

The chilies are just as present in the taste as it was in the smell if not more. It tastes roasted with malts, bitter chocolate and coffee. The chilies add an interesting complexity and heat to the finish. I like the oily and creamy texture, but its a little weird with the spicy flavor of the chilies. I'm glad I'm splitting this, I don't think I'd want a whole bottle to myself. It's a different beer for sure, but I've had several beers I'd prefer to it.

06-02-2010 17:43:59 | More by liquidcraft
EricCioe

Montana

3.58/5  rDev -21.7%

Had at a chili beer tasting including Mexican Cake, Chocolate Sombrero, Theobroma, Cocoa Mole, and Ghost Face Killah.

This pours a deep but not all that viscous black, surprising given the base beer, but with a nice pretty, frothy dark head. On the nose there is a complex interplay of chili, cinnamon, hops, etc. To me there is just too much going on, too many things seeking dominance and not achieving any sort of balance between them. In the mouth this clears up a bit as the chilis and alcohol combine for a heat presence, with cinnamon and roast providing the backbone of the flavor. The body is medium heavy with a long pleasant finish of heat once the various secondary flavors die out.

Overall, this is a beer in which the quality is absolutely evident but for me it just doesn't sit right. I see why people enjoy it, but I wasn't all that impressed and would rather drink the base.

04-14-2012 18:04:42 | More by EricCioe
Culture

3.6/5  rDev -21.2%

I tried this Brandy Barrel Hunaphu this past weekend. All of my friends are hyped up about this brew. I enjoyed the smell very much. It smells delicious , vanilla, and cinnamon came out most.

As far as the taste I was not very impressed. It was a harsh burn. I enjoy imperial stouts but this have me some heart burn. I will be trying regular hunaphu this week. I will let you know if it was just the BB that did not peak my taste.

07-16-2013 21:41:58 | More by Culture
Khazadum

3.6/5  rDev -21.2%

2012 version, not as good as 2011

A great bitter chocolate and ruby hue, inky darkness, low retention but great creamy collar. Low carbonation.

Smells... Cinnamon, bitter grain, super bright chiles... Light toasted grain. Just overwhelmed cinnamon and chiles.

Flavors... A light Belgian yeast sweetness, burning cinnamon, huge Chile. Fineshes with cinnamon spice, Chile heat, and smoke. Like charred paper. way too much Chile.

Huge creamy silky velvet character. Strong spicy burn that lingers. Sticky flavors. Amazing stout body but the test of this fails.

03-21-2012 01:52:33 | More by Khazadum
tarheels86

3.63/5  rDev -20.6%

750mL 2010 ed courtesy of Travlr. Pours ink well black with a head so dark brown it looks Martian red. Jesus. Very nice lace. Aroma is grapes, smoked meats, barbecue ribs, bacon. Interesting mix. Taste is fresh grapes, raisins and moves to a chalky, powdery finish. I think the base beer here, Zhukov, is one of my least favorite Imperial stouts. The Hunahpu treatment is a shoe in for an amazing beer, but the base beer is just so bad that you can’t hide from it. Maybe do the Hunahpu treatment to the 110K. 4/12/2010 8/5/7/3/14=3.7

09-06-2012 19:04:13 | More by tarheels86
DefenCorps

Oregon

3.65/5  rDev -20.1%

Thanks are due to Karl (kfsv034) for this bottle.

The pour is seriously impressive, black with an espresso foam-colored head that recedes leaving no lace. The color of this beer made me smile, the last beer earning such an honor being Black Tuesday.
The nose is just excellent. Heavenly with a heavily roasted malt character along with dark chocolate, coffee and a light spice character, there's almost a molasses-like character to this. Some fruitiness is present as well. Alcohol is noticeable. The chili character is quite low, much to my liking, the combination of dark cocoa character and the chili and roast is quite excellent.

I've noticed that there's a certain offset between what my nose experiences and what my palate does, and this beer is just another data point confirming that. What seems balanced and complex to my nose often fails the palate test, and this is no different. Opening thick and heavy with a lot of heavily roasted malt character, there's a touch of char as well. A little anise is noticeable early, but there's a grainy, husky tannic character. Prominent cocoa character is present. Vanilla appears mid palate, with the cinnamon and chili character being low (both of which could be a cultural bias, since I use quite a fair bit of both spices in my cooking and the moderate level isn't really noticeable to me). Finishing with a boozy sweetness, the mouthfeel is definitely flabby, not well integrated at all, quite disjointed, in fact. Full in body with medium-low level of carbonation, this isn't my cup of tea. It's not drinkable in large quantities, and doesn't strike me as a particularly well-crafted beer. I drank about 6-8oz, and was quite content.

03-24-2010 01:36:48 | More by DefenCorps
seeswo

3.65/5  rDev -20.1%

Pour is viscous like motor oil - thick and black with oily brown head and a body that coats the glass and hangs out anywhere it goes. The nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of vanilla and spice. I don't get the peppers. Good, but nothing special. Controversy in the taste. Split this with a few non-BA beer lovers - people who love a good brown ale but are rarely exposed to crazy 750mL imperial stouts. They thought it was really good, whereas I did not. Either way, the chilis hit you in the throat in a very minor fashion. They must have faded considerably looking at other reviews because I get them only as a mime for heartburn, and barely or not at all on the back of the tongue. This makes them not a particularly pleasant addition. The spices and the vanilla are mostly masked as well. The taste is dramatically like a really, really dark chocolate - but one that is not too bitter as to be overly dry. In fact, in contrast to almost everyone, I found this to be pretty one-note. It drinks kind of easy for what it is, with a big body and low carbonation. It really didn't come together for me and I kind of wish I had had it fresh.

07-18-2011 15:12:11 | More by seeswo