Hunahpu's Imperial Stout - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: tpd975 on 01-03-2009

In Mayan myth, Hunahpu gave cocoa to the Mayans. An Imperial Stout Aged On Cacao Nibs, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Ancho Chilis, Pasilla Chilis and Cinnamon.

Reviews: 698 | Hads: 3,458
4.77/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a DFH Signature Glass. Bottle shared with a friend.

A: Pouring this beer, I felt like I was peering into Satan's soul. It really is that dark. Rising from the fiery pit, I saw a dark brown head. The darkest I have ever seen. It sank quickly, leaving a rim around my glass. Holding the beer up to the light, there are no highlights. No garnet, not reflections, nothing. There is no escaping this darkness.

S: I got my first whiff while pouring. I am intrigued. Submerging my nose into the rim of my glass, I breathe deeply. This beer smells fantastic. The roasted stout flavor lies in perfect balance with sweet and spicy flavors. A wonderful aroma.

T: Much as the nose suggests, this beer is wonderfully balanced. It has the backbone of a traditional Imperial Stout, but with the essence of the cacao, chilies, and vanilla all working together. The sweet chocolate dances on my tongue while the spicy chilies light the back of my throat. The vanilla helps smooth the whole experience out. This is one of the most well balanced stouts I have ever tasted.

M: Thick. As heavy as can be. The beer needs the body, though, as the flavors are so pronounced. It feels great rolling around my tongue.

D: I could drink as much as I can afford. This is my first Cigar City beer, and I can tell someone put alot of effort into the quality of this brew. I hope they can get their distribution and production to a level that finding Cigar City beer isn't such a tough (and expensive) endeavor. Until then, I hope to try a few more of their top notch brews. (1,560 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

BA Brabander was so kind to share his beer with me and the other attenders. We were at a tasting at the Molen, organized by Fiona de Lange (the Dutch Beer lady).

A - A pitch black liquid and a brown lacing.

S - A beautiful scent of oak, dark chocolate,dark fruits, raisins.

T - The taste is of strong chocolate, cocos, raisins, coffee and brown candy sugar. This is so balanced and complex. Supurb stuff.

M - The body is full and the carboantion is soft. It supports the taste on an excellent way.

O - This is good stuff, no question about it. (549 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 750ml bottle. 2011 vintage. Thanks for the bottle JoshVandy!

A- Pours a deep black color that looks like motor oil but not quite there. One and a half finger light brown head shows good retention. Nice thick streaks of lace on the sides of the glass while drinking this one down.

S- Coffee like front of thr aroma. It comes in strong but is blended in together with a lighter semi-sweet chocolate. By the end of the front of the nose the chocolate really dominates with hints of chile to add a little spice to it. Middle of the beer showcases the there is also a chile notes quite well with vanilla backing it up and small hints of barrel notes to it. Maybe a hint of darker fruit in the backend but the chile covers it up fast along with hitns of cinnamon. Chocolate seems to be the ending aroma with there being no alcohol at all in the ending. I mean there is no alcohol noticed at all.

T- Lots of semi-sweet chocolate dominate the front of the beer with a ever so light cinnamon flavor that adds a little more depth to the beer to start off with. The chocoalte flavor slowly turns into coffee like roast by the middle and this in turn blends together very nicely with vanilla and a hint of barrel. The chile comes through for the first time in the middle of the beer giving off a little heat. Chocoalte malts make another appearance in the backend with chile peppers making a bigger flavor. The chile flavor washes out with chocoalte in the final ending with a hint of vanilla. Very light alcohol finish in the beer makes it almost not noticable.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is a little light I thought for the overall beer. Chile, chocoalte, hints of vanilla are left on the palate. Aftertaste is a hint of alcohol, chile, vanilla, and loads of semi-sweet chocolate. The flavors of this beer glide from one to another effortlessly. A very well balanced and well flavored beer overall. No off flavors at all with maybe the chocoalte getting a little cloying if drinking a whole bottle of this I would think. No alcohol drying to speak of when drinking this beer but there is a nice chile heat added to the backend of the beer.

O- This beer I thought was fantastic. The flavors blended so well together in the beer that I couldn't stop drinking it. A overall wonderful beer that I would love to have again. No alcohol heat or flavor makes this one a dangerous drinker which is my only negative aspect of this beer. A nice Cigar City beer like all the rest I have had from them. (2,511 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Survived hunahpu day and brought this home.

Poured from 750ml into a tulip glass

A- so black, couldn't see through it with x-ray. There is a pretty good head on it that dissipates into a very thin lace. The head is a dark coffee brown.

S- I'm getting lots of sweet dark chocolate. Smells like a dove chocolate bar. There are also hints of coffee and cinnamon. The cinnamon is very very faint. Can't really smell the peppers at all. Chocolate completely dominates this beer in a very good way.

T- lots of chocolate coming through up front. Don't taste much coffee but the cinnamon is pretty well blended in there. It comes through between the chocolate and the peppers. There is a lot of pepper taste on the back end. The peppers are a little sweet and then switches to a little spicy but not overwhelming.

M- silky. Very very smooth with a full body. A little chewy. There a little kick from the peppers but really not much.

O- a very very nice beer. The peppers throw me off a little bit and give it a little kick. I'm not sure how i feel about the peppers but it is a very interesting additive. Got a few of these so i'll see how my taste buds change to it. (1,167 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer lived up the hype. A friend gave me a glass (I've never had Huna before and he didn't show me the bottle or tell me what it was until I was half way through and completely enjoying myself in the mystery.) Appearance was spot on, dark brown to almost black. The smell was full of bourbon with hints of spices. The taste follows the smell with even more spices up front. This became a smooth and chocolaty flavor as it went down. Mouth feel was on point with just enough carb to notice. Enjoyed every drop. One of my favorite beers to date. UDPATE: Enjoyed a vertical from 2012-2014 and much of the nose and spice faded as it was aged longer. I enjoyed it better around 9 months old. (704 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Had this on tap at Cigar City early in the afternoon right after I got my ticket to buy the bottles.

A: Pours a very viscous dark, dark brown with a very nice tan head with plenty of lacing.

S: Whoa, lots going on here. Everything is almost overpowering, yet fits so well together. Lots of chocolate up front, followed by more subtle hints of roasted malt, vanilla, roasted chilis, and cinnamon.

T: Even better than the nose. Right up there with the absolute best imperial stouts I'd had; definitely top three. All that's there in the nose is there with the first sip, and the complexity of this beer only improves with each sip as it gets a bit warmer. The chocolate is definitely the base, and the light touches of cinnamon, vanilla, and chili peppers are fantastic and make this such a well-rounded beer.

M: Very thick and huge. Nice and chewy, yet incredibly smooth. Fairly low carbonation, but entirely appropriate. No alcohol heat.

D: Insane. Each sip brings forth new nuances. I spent less than 16 hours in Tampa, waking up a 3:00am on consecutive days for early flights (one of which didn't pan out), and if I hadn't gotten bottles, I'd still be supremely happy and thought the whole trip worth it. (1,213 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Poured from the 750 ml bottle into a tasting glass; Deep, rich black, with a medium dark brown head on top. Huge aromas--milk chocolate, molasses, cinnamon. On the palate, a very complex blend of the above, with a little wood, molasses, alcohol, and finally, fittingly, as it warms I get chilis. An exceptionally balanced, and beautifully drinkable beer. (354 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

On tap at Hunahpu 2011, pours dark, smoky, spicy aroma. Sweet, Vanilla and strong. I’m not huge on the chili spice, but the chocolate really fellows the whole experience out. Extremely balanced and really brings the chili to the forefront as it warms. Well worth the hype. I am lucky to have this wonderful brewer so close to home, this is a masterpiece. (356 characters)

500TH REVIEW

750mL bottled poured into large snifter - big thanks to BastionShaw for this one

Pours a thick, dark blackness with some graham cracker brown head which bubbles up around the glass. Decent retention with clusters of film and patchy lacing on the glass.

Explosive, complex nose with rich dark chocolate and slight bitterness. Notes of vanilla with syrupy caramel and cinnamon spice. Hints of alcohol and chile heat, but not overbearing. Wow, I can't wait to drink this.

Thick, syrupy chocolate with truffle oil and faint bitterness. Roasted malts with caramel and chocolate cake, layered with vanilla and cinnamon tones. Complex throughout, with each sip I can taste the cocoa and vanilla, while the chiles stay under control. Slight heat after swallowing, which keeps you thinking about the beer, and well masked alcohol in the finish.

Full bodied, decent carbonation, silky smooth and creamy on the tongue. Once again, wow - this might be the best non-barrel aged stout I've ever had. Truly remarkable and worth the effort it takes to track one down. (1,072 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Review #1500! 750mL bottle into a Duvel glass pours a very deep opaque black with a very nice frothy dark tan head that slowly diminishes to a ring and leaves no lacing on the glass. Aroma is a nice amount of cocoa in front of roasted malts. The taste is an incredibly complex blend of bitter cocoa, roasted malts, molasses, vanilla, dried fruits and just a hint of chiles, absolutely delicious. The beer is medium bodied with slight alcohol presence, just enough to remind you that this beer deserves to be savored. This is a truly incredible brew, one I will seek out every time it's released! (595 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Bottle Pour. This beer is dark as can be. Oily, thick and resinous. Hunahpu is so thick it leaves my glass looking like a resin covered bong. The nose on this beer is as complex as the palate. Chocolate, char, vanilla, earthy peppers and alcohol hit the nose full force. The palate of this beer is immensely layered. I first get dark bitter chocolate that is quickly sweetened by the vanilla treatment and chocolatey malt character. Following that comes earthy smokey peppers that compliment the deep roastiness of the malts with slight heat to kick. The heavy viscosity and moussey carbonation combine for a luxurious and velvety mouthfeel. I enjoy my beer with food, hunahpu will make good company with spicy, savory and rich ethnic dishes. (742 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured vertically from a 750ml cellared then refrigerated bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku glass. As the beer flows into the glass, it forms a foamy and creamy head that demands attention – its glorious. Bubbles are so thin and the foam so thick it almost resembles a nitro. Aromas of cinnamon and chocolate invade the air around the beer, inviting you to try it. After a minute or so, the foam settles into a thin bed the covers the glass, ultimately sinking into the thick, dark and viscous beer below forming a beautiful ring around the glass.

Its nose is a medley of sweet and spicy aromas, very inviting. Predominant notes are cinnamon, chocolate, chile ancho and vanilla. The taste is quite similar to its nose – as the beer warms and opens up, stronger chocolate flavors take center stage. Very unique brew for sure, and you need to know what you’re getting into prior to trying it – this is not your typical Imperial Stout. The only other beer Huna reminds me of is Luchador en Fuego by Clown Shoes.

Hunahpu’s mouthfeel is probably the best I’ve had. It’s so thick and creamy that it almost feels like drinking melted dark Belgian chocolate. It’s perfect for your palate to fully appreciate the broad spectrum of flavors this beer proudly carries. Carbonation is almost inexistent.

Overall, I must say it does live up to the hype – it’s a work of art. (1,381 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to rhinos00 for splitting this 3 ways with me.

A: Pitch black with very dark tan colored head. Reduces to a thick film. This beer is exactly how a RIS should look. Absolutely perfect.

S: Smells like sweet chocolate with a little spiciness and coffee coming through. Hint of cinnamon.

T: WOW. This is great. Lots of coffee in the taste. Especially at the end. Burnt roasty malts in the finish complemented well with dark chocolate. Pick up a little chile and cinnamon in the middle. Vanilla comes through in the finish. Very complex flavors going on with this beer.

M: Super viscous. Very thick. I love this mouthfeel in RIS. Not overcarbonated.

D: 11.5%....never would have known. Went down easy. Very little alcohol burn at all. Really enjoyed this beer (789 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

750ml bottle poured into Spiegelau tulip.
2013 vintage.

A: Pours inky black with a finger of mocha-brown head.

S: Roasted coffee, molasses, vanilla, caramel, black licorice, and some booze.

T: Follows the nose. Roasted coffee, cinnamon, black licorice, molasses, vanilla, and a slight underlying tartness. Moderately sweet and smokey.

M: A nice thick, sticky body with almost no carbonation. Coats the mouth.

O: Nothing short of incredible. Could possibly be the best non-BA stout I've had. Great all around complexity and the sweetness is just perfect. The cinnamon is a nice addition, but I didn't notice any chile pepper. Overall very drinkable for a big stout. (669 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this bad boy from a trade with Dimenhetfield, thanks bro. 2013 vintage split with BostonRyan, poured into snifter glasses, reviewed from tasting notes.

A: Pitch black body with a dark head of 1-2 fingers with awesome retention and lacing.

S: Complex smell, a lot going on. The chilli is strong on the nose. The cacao is also strong and quite bitter. There's a good amount of spice, cinnamon is present, and a little vanilla but not too much. No alcohol on the nose.

T: Again, very complex, but different from the nose. The cacao mellows out with the sweetness from the vanilla. Unlike other chilli beers, the chilli is present throughout and works really well. Cinnamon is not as present as it was in the nose, a little overwhelmed by the chilli. A lot of flavors going on, but a really solid malt backbone is a great foundation with roasty characters and the overall medley leaves little to no alcohol burn.

M: Just the epitome of the style. Creamy and full, rich and thick, a little dryness from the pepper but wet otherwise.

O: I loved this beer. Definitely worth the hype. A delicate balance that plays very well. It may not be for everyone, and I may have enjoyed this a bit more than my compadre, but it is really world class, and definitely the best non-barrel aged stout out there. (1,299 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks to beerlando for this gem.

Pours a ridiculously nice, super dark brown and topped with a red tinted mocha head. Smells of subltey sweet chocolate and malt. Flavor is dynamic. Starts with a sweet subtle cinnamon and then moves toward milk chocolate. Finish is dark chocolate and bitter in a good way. Mouthfeel is lusciously smooth and creamy. An altogether phenomenal beer that embodies everything I want in a stout. WOW!

EDIT: Had again last night (since this review have had most highly regarded stouts out there) and it is so f'ing phenomenal I had to give it a better review. (589 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Ever since I read what Cigar City was doing with this beer, I've been excited to give this one a shot - I mean, a lot of stuff is going into this beer. The label says "Malt beverage aged on Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho and pasilla chiles, cinnamon and Madagascar vanilla beans." Seriously, that sounds amazing! Thanks to kbutler1 for trading me a bottle - my expectations are high! The bottle arrived with just a bit of leakage at the top (even though it was packaged perfectly and taped around the cap) - a very sticky, syrupy substance. Figured I'd better crack this one open soon - wouldn't want to waste it!

Split with a few friends and spread between three different glasses. As I cracked it open, it was immediately obvious as to why the beer was leaking. The bottle was literally filled up almost to the very top. One millimeter below the opening was standing liquid...beer! Cigar City did not skimp on this guy! I carefully poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Whoa - that is an amazingly thick brew. As it stacks up in my glass, it appears that there is no carbonation...guh, disappointment...but wait! After I get the glass about halfway filled, I set it on the table and watch the upward cascade fill another third of my glass. From a vat of recycled motor oil to one of the thickest, darkest, brown heads I've ever seen, the bubbles keep multiplying as this thing nears the top of my glass - impressive. Fairly quickly it wanes, and by the time I've had three or four sips the head is merely a shadow of its former self capping the surface with a soft dark brown lid. The beer itself is a black hole allowing zero light to escape, even at the extreme edges.

Hunahpu's is chalk full of chocolate goodness. The chocolate malty smell dominates the nose at the beginning. A sweet chocolate rises through the head as well, making me think I'm about to enjoy dessert as opposed to a nightcap. No cinnamon for me but a bit of peppery spice when I try hard. As it warms up a bit, the alcohol becomes prevalent for the first time separating itself from a sweet vanilla and a bit of dark sweet fruit. A complex brew for sure that is only compromised just slightly by the alcoholic prevalence. Ok, I can't wait any longer to give this a shot.

Fudge. Sweet, chocolate fudge. It's pounded in there and is not shy. I do get a bit of the chili / peppery taste when I get the beer to settle on the back of my tongue. Again, as hard as I work to taste the cinnamon, I can't find it. The vanilla is definitely in there as well, adding yet another sweet component to Willy Wonka's wet dream. I'm very impressed by how well this is balanced. With a bunch of different flavors competing, things can easily get messy; but cigar city has done it right here. This is a thick and creamy brew that feels absolutely divine in my mouth. I rank the mouthfeel as a perfect 5, right there with Kate the Great's creaminess and the oily, thick, syrupy masterpiece of Dark Lords past.

This is a damn fine beer. As I finish my last few sips, my glass is laced with a thin grainy film left behind from this viscous beer. My upper lip sticks to the rim of my glass when I get a bit too close. Although the alcohol was prevalent on the nose, it is nearly completely masked in the drink. I'm wishing I hadn't invited so many friends over for this.

Consumed: 3/23/2010 (3,345 characters)

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'13 Vintage. Poured into my Huna day snifter. #properglassware

Pours an pitch black. Looks like back ink pouring out of a broken pen. Sexy. Dark kahki head. About the same color as Founders RIS. Frothy mud sitting atop black water. Looks thick and amazing.

Right off the bat I get cinnamon and some nice vanilla. Biggest note of vanilla I have gotten from a beer that wasn't barrel aged. To be honest, I dont like a lot of beer that are brewed with vanilla (reminds me a lot of sweet chalk. Just dont like it) but this smells amazing. I get aromas of milky sweetness, chocolate and an ever so subtle roast as well. Just judging by the smell I have to say this is incredibly balanced. Nothing jumps out at me as being over powering.. Smells like heaven in a glass. ....I dont get much of the pepper though? Maybe my palate isnt used to peppers in beer but I am not getting it.

F*** me this is nice. I gravitate to beers that are on the sweeter side and this delivers a nice amount of sweetness up front. Subtle vanilla, Sugar and cocoa dusted cinnamon sticks right of the bath that mixes with more soft vanilla. The finish has a very small amount of pepper but an incredible lingering cinnamon stick with chocolate and milky sweetness. Extremely well balanced. and impressive. Perfect

Thick mouthfeel. It feels heavy on the palate but not oil like. More like melted marshmallows. Light in all the right places but heavy in the same way. I love this beer.

No trace of booze anywhere (to be fair, I have never been good at picking up the booziness of beers)

Overall impression:

I really love that the roast is extremely subtle on the palate and pretty much unnoticeable (at least to me) Hunaphu is the definition of a silky mouthfeel. The flavours are big and balanced but they all play together nicely. While I dont get too much of the peppers on the nose or on the palate I am ok with that because I dont think that would make the beer any better. (1,955 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

I got to share a bottle of this among some friends the other night, as usual a thousand thank you's to hayes for hooking me up with yet another great beer.

We were concerned a little by the bottling, it had leaked just a bit (this was lucky for me however, hayes probably wouldn't have wanted to drink it so soon otherwise!). Once it was opened we were all impressed by the level of beer in the bottle, filled to the absolute brim - this probably explains the leakage.

I have to admit when we poured it I was initially worried we lost carbonation because no head was forming. After it was pured, however, the head accumulated quickly - this may be the darkest head of any beer I've had. It's dark. Really really dark. The head dissipates fairly quickly leaving a ring around the edges of the glass. And the beer itself is completely opaque, I'm getting excited.

Smells very strongly of super rich chocolate (must be the nibs) but also some very malty and roasty smells. The chocolate theme continues with the taste along with more sweet goodness - some vanilla and others flavors I can't place create a wonderful and balanced beer. The mouthfeel is tremendous as well - awesomely thick. Even after I swallow I can taste this beer for a good while as the coating remains. This is everything I look for in a stout and one of my favorite beers now - here's to hoping they make it again! (1,386 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

I recieved this beer from a couple BA's. Mike and Kevin are both top notch guys in my book. Thanks so much for this epic brew.

Poured from a bottle into a duvel tulip.

A: Straight out of the bottle I knew this one was special. Thick black used motor oil would be the best description I can give. God damn it's thick! Two fingers of dark chocolate head cascade for a brief moment then set up. Slowly fading away to leave tiny fleck of lace around the glass.

S: Spicy chocolate mixed with coffee, cinnamon, molasses, smoked malt and a slightly bitter hop profile. No booze to be found. Smells like a winner.

T: Wow there is a lot going on in my first sip. The heat of the peppers is felt right away but not to hot. Then the cinnamon comes in with vanilla, coffee, dark chocolate and camp fire to follow. I've had a taste of this from another bottle and it had nowhere near the complexity of this one. Thankfully my bottle was balanced. I detect almost zero alcohol burn at all.

M: Duh! Full thick chewy body. Clings to the glass like heavy cutting oil. You could drink this beer with a spoon.

D: Overall a wonderful Double stout. Super complex yet approachable. The viscosity would be the only thing that might hinder it's drinkability in my opinion. (1,255 characters)

Sampled On: 03/30/2010
Sample Type: 750ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2010
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Acquired with the help of Zach(beeruser), thanks cuz! This brew poured like 10W-30 motor oil w/ a big two to three finger dark brown head. However, no pop when opening the bottle, I assume thats due to the bottle being almost filled to the top. Heavy lacing hangs on the glass and remains. Pretty awesome spectacle! The nose was of chocolate malts, molasses, peat, and oak. Tasted as you would expect from the nose, but with a finish of light vanilla bean, spices from the peppers, and a good hop backbone to balance. Extremely complex and became even more so as it warmed. The mouthfeel was perfectly viscous and chewy which is what I was looking for. This brew will tease you. Initially, you think you can drink alot of it, and really want to, but then soon realize that with the well masked ABV and thickness you cannot. This brew is really a meal in a bottle.

Overall, this is hands down, the best and most complete Imperial Stouts I have had to date. In my search for the Holy Grail of Imperial Stouts, this is as close as I have been. Fine job once again by Cigar City, this brew is worthy of the hype. If you have not sampled it you must seek it out! Thanks again Zach! (1,270 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

22oz bottle, no bottle date but released on 3/8/14. Shared with my brother. Pours jet black with a small-sized brown head. Delicious smell of cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla, and coffee. Tastes of roasted malt, coffee, cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla, and ends with a mild chili pepper zing. Less cinnamon in the taste. The alcohol is hidden well under the complex and bold flavors. Low carbonation and heavy body; really nails the style. Overall, this is a fantastic imperial stout and worth trying. (494 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2012 brewing, excellent beer! smooth, silky mouth feel. Coco nips shine thru. The chilies are subtle, this may have been from the aging. Overall this is an amazing brew, worth seeking out.

Bottom Line: Amazing beer! (217 characters)

2013 vintage - bottle shared by shuntstout, you the man

A - inky oily black. Super thick. Minimal tan, brown head.

S - heaps of coffee, then chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla. Smells like an amazing dessert.

T - holy s***. It tastes like an amazing ice cream. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, cinnamon. Just enough sweetness and just enough bitterness. Just an absolutely amazing flavor profile.

M - super thick, rich, low low carb. Exactly what you think a stout should feel like.

O - definitely in my top rung of stouts. Probably the best non-BA stout I've had. So much flavor and all of them play very very well together. A+. (627 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Cracked my first bomber of Hunahpu's last night, consumed from my DFH snifter glass. I thought this beer might be contaminated at first, as there was some light seepage during shipping. Turns out it was just filled to the top, but was still good.

A- Black as night, and very oil looking. Coats the inside of the glass with a chocolate brown film. Pours a nice healthy head, probably a finger or two. The head is dark brown, with almost a ruby red tinge to it.

S- Smells of toasted malts primarily to me. Has some noticeable scents of chilli's and chocolate as well. I also get some slightly caramel aromas as well.

T- Tastes amazing. Starts with the taste of a very smooth and robust stout, transitions to a delicious chocolatey flavor, and the perfect balance of hops on the back end. Some of these chocolate beers tend to over-do it a bit, but this one is a great blend.

M- I expected this to be a lot more overpowering on the mouthfeel due to appearance. However, it is very nice and tolerable. Not too thick, and certainly not as oily as it looks in the glass.

D- Due to the very tolerable mouthfeel, the drinkability is high. The 10.5% is barely noticeable, and I housed my first glass very quickly. After I finished the bottle, I probably could have had more...

Overall, an very excellent beer and lived up to the hype IMO. A very drinkable, and well balanced RIS.

** Update** After having this beer a few more times, I really feel like it is probably one of my favoriote beers. Amazingly good, and so drinkable. If you can find some, GET IT! (1,556 characters)

Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City Brewing